Sovos

Sales Tax Software, VAT reporting, e-invoicing compliance

Sovos Reviews

Ramon P.

Melissa M.

Intuitive interface and robust help menu means that even if you don't know how to complete something you can figure things out fairly quickly.

Jeff C.

Cons

Very bad, the team assigned from Sovos had no experience with implementing with an Oracle ERP and did not understand any of the issues we were having.

Ray N.

Katryna W.

Threshold reporting for various jurisdictions is a must and is missing.

Karl W.

3.8

Usability at it's finest

All of our printing and state/federal filing needs are fulfilled. We can take data from multiple source systems and in multiple formats and using this software have a consolidated repository for our compliance needs.

Pros

Cons

Does not have the ability to utilize an import for W2C forms.

Sovos review

About 7/10.

Pros

It allows for you to make changes to tax after the transaction goes through - for instance, if we put in a sales order but then a customer remits their tax exemption cert, we can go back in and adjust without having to completely refund what we charged initially, just to re-charge them the correct amount.

Cons

They are never clear on what is what - there are so many names and vocab to their different portals, and programs. I never know what they are talking about, and they do not offer up great explanations either.

SOVOS Review

Overall I like the product because it takes the burden of the ACA reporting and disbursement of forms to the employees off our plates. They also file the paperwork with the IRS which is a plus

Pros

I like the fact that we can enter information into an excel spreadsheet for uploading to the SOVOS system. This make it much easier than entering single information for multiple employees.

Cons

My biggest beef with this software is that the site is very difficult to navigate unless you are given step by step instructions.

Disappointed

Extremely disappointed.

Pros

Pricing was lower and was told that issues were handled quickly and we would have a one-on-one person to help deal with issues that arose.

Cons

Pricing based on number of transactions, multiple times during the negotiations, we asked if only the invoice counted or if estimates, sales orders, and invoices all counted and was told only invoices. This is not true, our annual bill more than tripled for the renewal. Issues are not handled quickly, we do not have a single person to help with issues. Tax is incorrectly calculated in many states, have to do all of the legwork in proving taxability in certain states. Intelligent Reporting module does not work most of the time. Reports from GTD & Intelligent Reporting do not even balance to each other. Correcting transactions is a nightmare.

Thank you for taking the time to express the pros and cons of working with Sovos. As the VP of Customer Success, I greatly value direct feedback from our clients and would appreciate the opportunity to collaborate with you on the challenges you identified to ensure that we are meeting our commitments to you. It's important to note that our investment in sales tax content and our tax determination engine...

Good but clunky

Pros

The software does what it is supposed to, it correctly calculates sales tax even on complex transactions. We use the program to calculate tax, store resale and exemption certificates and file our returns in 26 states.

Cons

the software is not one software and it really shows. If you are storing resale & exemption certificates they goes into one program. Once it is in the system it is transferred to another system. You can change the reason for exemption, let's say you pick educational but it should have been government. you need to go to another system, make the change there, then go back to the fist system and make the same change there. This follows across the whole platform, we use a certificate manager, tax determination, reporting, and tax filing. Each of these is a separate system and they don't talk to each other.

Good software for cost, frustrating help desk

Ultimately, I would not recommend Sovos Intelligent Compliance Cloud, simply because when something goes wrong, their help desk is awful to deal with. Things will go wrong with any software you choose -- it's just a fact of life. But Sovos's help desk makes any problems I run into using the software that much worse. It's a really bad experience.

Pros

The software is pretty easy to understand and has most of the features you could want. For the features it doesn't have, there is usually a workaround that you can do that will allow you to collect and report the tax the way you need to.

Cons

The Sovos help desk is abysmal. When I run into an issue, my experience has been that the help desk will prioritize closing the ticket rather than helping the customer. I usually end up fixing the problem myself for one reason or another. Usually it's because the help desk says that my problem is not actually a problem, and they will therefore not be fixing it. However, sometimes I fix the issue myself because the help desk can't figure out what went wrong to cause the issue.

Taxport Review

For the most part, my overall experience has been positive. Our implementation was a bit bumpy and sometimes confusing due to incorrect information. Each year, while processing our forms, we've identified a couple oversights in the new tax year Alias and have worked with our M.S.R. to resolve. This year, our M.S.R. recommended testing in August/September to identify such issues prior to the pressure of tax form processing. We conducted testing and worked with our M.S.R. to resolve each issue so we're hoping for a smooth Q1 in 2020.

Pros

Flexibility. We process 1099s, 1042s, T4As & T4A-NRs. This application allows us the ability to upload our files to the RFM, import everything ourselves and then research & resolve errors. We involve our M.S.R. when technical issues arise but, outside of that, we're able to process our 16,000 forms each year pretty independently.

Cons

It has a limited country table. We operate in over 300 countries and some of the forms we send out say "other country" in the mailing address because our payee resides in a country not included in the Taxport country table.

Easy integration and very supportive company

I have no complains. They have been very helpful and they have helped us a lot during the implementation process. Fully satisfied after the 3-4 months we were working together.

Pros

The software is great. It is fast and it works well and when something important for our business was missing, SOVOS has implemented it in a few days. We integrated it with our SAP ECC and it's completely transparent to the user now who do not realize there's something else behind their usual SAP interface.

Cons

Their service was down a couple of times during UAT testing, but they fixed it for good and this has not happened again.

Sovos review

fairly good. To many groups and the hand off from one group to the next is dismal.

Pros

Reporting tools are helpful. Overall logic works well.

Cons

User experience can be drastically improved, feels like the end user was not kept in mind for the design aspect. It should be simple and easy to use and its really not, to much information and it isn't organized in a manner to maximize this info. Threshold reporting for various jurisdictions is a must and is missing.

Karl, thank you so much for your feedback. Sovos is dedicated to transforming our customer experience, so much so that we recently established an entire department dedicated to the very topics you bring up, like seamless hand-offs between departments. Simultaneously we are investing significantly to rebuild several of our most-popular products to be even faster and with intuitive, consumer-grade experiences. As VP of customer experience, I would love to learn more from you so that we can make sure that we are meeting your needs as we undergo this transformation! Please reach out to me directly at lisa.holmquest@sovos.com and we can find a convenient time to talk. Sincerely, Lisa Holmquest VP of Customer Experience

Basic Sales Tax Software

Pros

This is a very basic software, and is relatively easy to navigate

Cons

It is not a robust system and the company does not re-invest as much as it should in enhancements. I believe there are better, more sophisticated tax engines on the market.

Good Tax Software

Pros

The software is very user friendly. We use Sovos for our tax calculations as well as to import information into our tax forms for filing. It has been a big help. It is a much better tax program than our old software,and we are able to get better reporting from this software as well.

Cons

At first we had an issue with support getting back to us, however, lately that has not been an issue.

Sovos

Its a very good value for medium sized businesses. The cloud application makes it much easier for our IT department to maintain.

Pros

We do like the Data Editor module of Sovos sales tax software which allows tailored customizations to our particular lines of business. The best feature for us is the management and collection of exemption certificates from customers through Certificate Manager, this is a very basic bread and butter requirement on tax departments and Sovos makes it so much easier.

Cons

We have had a lot of turnover in our Sovos team partners/analysts. It makes it hard to always get them up to speed.

Easy friendly software

that if I need to review old information I can easily find it.

Pros

Easy to communicated with the team and share a file.

Cons

sometime the team from Sovos send me an email and it's doesn't come to me.

its tax software

We're using taxware to calculate sales tax at stores across the US.

Pros

Calculates the taxes correctly. Their support team is easy to reach and knowledgeable.

Cons

Product documentation for administrators is lacking, or at least not easily found.

review

Pros

report products were what I needed. good selection of reports

Cons

ease of use was a little cumbersome. it took a little time to get used to.

My review

very bad, the team assigned from Sovos had no experience with implementing with an Oracle ERP and did not understand any of the issues we were having

Pros

the cert manager work ok, the sales tax calculation not so well

Cons

i have noticed a large number of errors in calculating sales tax, had too many issues with the implementation team

Ray, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. While difficult feedback can be tough to hear, it is necessary in order to address problems directly. At Sovos, we hold ourselves accountable for keeping our promises. It is my belief that the measure of a company is defined by how they react when things don't go as planned. That said, I would appreciate the opportunity to work with you to make things right. Please reach out to me directly so that we may discuss the specific circumstances around your implementation and formulate a corrective strategy. Regards, Andrew Elvester Director of Customer Success at Sovos O: +1 763 235 5737 M: +1 651 343 7131 https://www.linkedin.com/in/aelvester

Simple and easy, in some ways too much so

Pros

Software is easy to use, responsive, and gives plenty of user feedback and confirmations

Cons

Some uses are not intuitive and require instructions on how to accomplish certain tasks