The Mortgage Office Reviews

The Mortgage Office

Web-based mortgage and loan servicing software

4.82/5 (180 reviews)

Pros
  • It's very easy to use, the tech people are fantastic, and it's a robust system that has bulletproof calculations and does everything a private lender could ever dream of.Brett Z.Read the full review
  • Overall, I am impressed, especially by the ability to customize fields and save in formats that are ready for presentations to the board, or management.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • Knowing how each aspect of the software to my advantage in servicing my homeowners. The benefit of my homeowner and investors having the ability to review the status of the loan and history.Cecelia G.Read the full review
Cons
  • My support needs are rare, but I still run into an occasional problem because I have entered something wrong and can't find it myself.Annette R.Read the full review
  • I am a heavy user of the construction module, and there are no options for training in this module which seems odd to me. We went to the training in CA.Megan M.Read the full review
  • Not being able to reverse proceed ACH run for 200 accounts, rather have to do it one by one, if mistake is made in one account number.Anastasiya P.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Anisa Lancione

Long time user, first time reviewer. Stable, reliable tool. Strong support. Clean audits.

Reviewed 2018-03-29

For what's out there, this tool works well. As far as I can see there is no holistic product that manages the lending side of a MIC, the capital side of a MIC, robust and standard accounting tasks (financial statement generation) and exempt market issuance. But this one works really well at getting me data that can be imported into the accounting system with minimal fuss and high accuracy. The more we use it and learn about it, the more time this tool creates for our MIC team.

Pros
Really like the ability to save customize fields and save query views as spreadsheets. Really like the ability to save reports and letters as spreadsheets (or .pdfs through the platform vs. via print to .pdf menus). Good audit trails for reports, changes, statements, etc. We're now learning how to better manage dates to result in reports that balance to our accounting program -- pretty good. Would have loved to have known that sooner. Support team are on site with the company and are well informed as to how the platform works -- pretty decent turnaround time for a company on the other side of the continent. I have a healthy respect for the support team's skills and knowledge.

Cons
Would love to have a hosted customer wiki or bulletin board where users could share tips and tricks. Would love to receive an email weekly with tips and tricks, did-you-know, or other implementation hints. Would love more information about stuff like how custom fields are added to the merge field list in custom letters -- using for years and just learned this. Tell us more about the nuances for customization and let us talk to each other and I think you'll have users for life.

Julie Hahn

Just getting started

Reviewed 2020-06-12

The biggest problem we've solved is a significant decrease in the amount of time it took to process payments. Our old system would take almost an entire day to move funds and notify participants, and now that can be accomplished in a matter of minutes.

Pros
We've been using this product for about 18 months. It has streamlined our payment processing so much - we're much more efficient now, which is always a good thing with a small company. The system is able to handle participations in an almost seamless manner.

Cons
While quite a bit can be customized, we're having some challenges customizing some reports for our participants based upon the overall portfolio. And I wish there was a better way to handle a mid-cycle interest rate change.

Joshua Amini

Great Product / Weak Service

Reviewed 2016-07-25

The sales pitch was outstanding. If you want to get someone on the phone from the sales team, boom - they're on. The software itself has been a godsend. We were doing all of our statements on Word and Excel, and we would spend ours getting everything right. As we've grown in size (we have over $150 million in loans outstanding now), we almost had no choice to buy software to help manage the behemoth we've become. We sampled some other cheaper software, but The Mortgage Office is clearly the best one out there. That doesn't mean it's perfect - I am not a big fan of the statements the software generates. For example, on an investor statement, the "interest paid in 2016" box at the top right of the statement shows the gross interest paid. I essentially want it to show the net interest paid (interest less servicing fees). There is an option to do that, but then the statement hides the servicing fees we charge our investors. I like to be transparent and show our investor what they are getting net, but also show them the servicing fees. To get this done The Mortgage Office wanted to charge huge sums of money to customize. I am also not a big fan of the investor statements in general, there are a lot of aesthetic issues that need to be fixed, but they refuse to do it unless I pay them. Regardless of the minor issues described above, the software is good and worth the money. My biggest gripe is with customer support. When you get the support team on the phone, they are incredibly polite and knowledgeable, and always solve my problems. I would give the 5 stars if I could. The reason I am giving them 2 stars is not because of them, they are great. They are just incredibly understaffed, and I've never gotten one of them on the phone. I have to leave a message, and they rarely get back to you same day. It usually takes 24-48 hours, which is just absurd in our business. I even told one of the owners that I am willing to pay a much higher monthly fee (it's about $175 per month for service) if they could staff properly and have people pick up the phone when you call. I would seriously pay about $500/month to make this possible. I am running a $150 million business, and I need to know that I can reach someone within minutes when I have a time sensitive question. This is the reason I would most likely not recommend this product. If they can resolve this issue I would give the company all 5 stars.

Pros
Great tool to track loans, monitor loans, produce useful reports, produce borrower statements that are accurate, produces decent lender statements, the customer service reps are very helpful and knowledgeable, the software is relatively easy to use once you really study it.

Cons
IMPOSSIBLE TO GET CUSTOMER SUPPORT ON THE PHONE - PLEASE RAISE MONTHLY SERVICING FEE IN ORDER TO HIRE MORE STAFF. I WILL GLADLY PAY MORE IF I KNOW I CAN GET SOMEONE ON THE PHONE RIGHT AWAY TO ANSWER A TIME SENSITIVE QUESTION, AS OPPOSED TO WAITING 24-48 HOURS FOR A RESPONSE.

Likelihood to recommend: 4/10

Audrey McMichael

No software is perfect...but this one is pretty close....and the customer support is top notch!

Reviewed 2020-04-07

We have had a huge time savings using The Mortgage Office. ACH file is automatically generated at the click of a button. Loan payment input is simple. Monthly reports to our Lenders are generated and emailed right from the system. In the past we needed to scan the reports and e-mail them to the right people using our old system.

Pros
The software makes applying loan payments a breeze. We utilize ACH Express to remit monthly payments to our Lenders. That process is relatively easy. The creation of the NACHA file automatically by the system has saved us so much time. We used to have to manually load up that information, opening us up for human error.

Cons
The clickable items on the left had side of the home screen are a little clunky. We tend to use Tasks & Reports the most, and I find sometimes I have trouble finding it as it is a good way down the list and doesn't stand out.

Jason Cosman

Overall A quality software with minor amendments required

Reviewed 2019-09-27

Very good. I would recommend it highly over the other options available on the market.

Pros
The software is the most comprehensive software on the market without going to customization. For a small to medium-size firm, I would highly suggest this to be your best solution.

Cons
There are certain issues with the software which should allow a bit of customization. In the mortgage industry, there are unique cases all the time, the software limits certain items rather than allowing the user to customize the options. There is typically a workaround, however, giving the user a bit more freedom would have been preferred. However, it is still the best non-custom software on the market.

Michelle Coffey

Reviewed 2020-01-18

Pros
The software can be tricky at moments, but having [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] to help was extremely convenient. He went above and beyond to get our insurance certificates implemented in the software, and we are extremely greatful for his determination! Other than just this task, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has shown he is very determined and works diligently to help us with all our questions, since we have just hired new employees and switched locations. We appreciate his time and consideration for our company very much.

Cons
The thing we like least about the software is the common glitching, and having to close out and re open for it to show the correct information

Gloria Johnson

Great Customer Service

Reviewed 2020-06-26

Best customer service from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]! Always profession, pleasant and knowledgeable!

Pros
The software is well built and has a lot of features.

Cons
Would like to have a handbook or manual for reference

Anonymous

The Mortgage Office for Servicing

Reviewed 2020-05-07

Pros
It is very comprehensive and lots of customization options to fit your needs. The support team not only helps you out, but makes it so that you understand how to use the software.

Cons
There is a steep learning curve, but their support team makes it very easy to learn all parts of the software. A lot of the separate modules are available for purchase, but wish some of them were included in the initial purchase (mostly related to automating procedures)

Angie Lopez

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] Is A Rockstar - Praise and Pay Raise!!

Reviewed 2020-06-02

Support services from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] have been exceptional! He has provided very thoughtful and intentional personal customer service. His expertise has been very helpful as our team works towards improving our utilization of the software and understanding what data is being pooled. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is our helpful expert concierge for TMO providing great insight on how to have the database grow with our business.

Pros
Ability to customize grid and some report templates

Cons
Ability to track progress of foreclosures, bankruptcy, covid-19 loan deferrals, options to share reminders with select team members to name a few

Patrick Cheng

Finally something that works right.

Reviewed 2020-06-11

Pros
Ease of use, ability to customize and the help options.

Cons
Probably the cost, very little I do not like.

Evan Frank

Robust loan servicing package with institutional scalability

Reviewed 2015-04-23

1: We have found TMO to be highly functional. TMO performs core loan servicing very well. The development team has a deep understanding of the private lending business. The learning curve is steep, so I recommend the 2 day course which is well worth the money you will spend and the time you will save by not doing things incorrectly. The compiled help is a great reference guide for intermediates or advanced users and is well maintained. 2: We have found TMO to be scalable. One of our requirements was deploying the software across multiple physical locations. Although we encountered initial hiccups in set up, these were due to MS Office (MSO) 2010's default security settings (TMO relies upon MSO to create its attachments via mail merge). Once our IT team pinpointed the MSO security settings issue (which was quite intricate and required updating registry keys), we were able to effectively scale to 2 client workstations in 1 physical location pointing back to a SQL server at an off-site data center. The option of upgrading to the SQL version (available as another add-on 'module') gave us the confidence in the beginning when we first purchased the JET (MS Access) version that the software is robust and scalable. Our SQL upgrade and proof of concept across multiple physical locations confirmed the software is robust and scalable, and this area of functionality has performed well for us. The SQL migration tool that ABS provides made the transition fairly seamless. 3: 'Sustainable' means the software should have a long shelf life and be upgraded on a regular basis. In our 3 years there have been numerous upgrades although some were unfortunately forced, and I can't recall much new functionality being added ' most of the updates were patches or new functionality for Loan Origination or other modules we were not using. However, the platform has been around (and augmented) for 30+ years. In summary, I think the software is robust and powerful, and I give the software development team top marks in creating and maintaining an excellent product. Also AJ Poulin their VP of Sales is a pleasure to deal with, is well respected in and has deep roots in the private lending industry, and has a lot of integrity.

Nick Baumgartner

Thankful for The Mortgage Office

Reviewed 2019-04-23

The people that work there are friendly and honest. Every time I have talked to somebody they have gone out of their way to be open and truthful, even if it is not the answer we wanted to hear. I greatly appreciate it. This is true from our salesman (extremely wonderful), to the help desk and to our trainer. What really impressed me, during our training, If trainer did not know the answer, he did not try to pull the wool over our eyes and make some fictitious answer up to make himself look good. He just simply admitted that he did not know the answer and that he would research it and get back to us later. Which he did within the same day.

Pros
Before we had The Mortgage Office we had 300+ loans all on Excel Spreadsheets. We had to keep them there because of the "originality" of our notes. We could not find a software that could handle all of our quirks. Needless to say, working with our mortgages was extremely time-consuming. Not only is The Mortgage Office saving us massive amounts of time, But It CAN also handle all of our quirks. As a side note, their help desk is friendly and very knowledgeable.

Cons
The biggest con to this software is the setup, it takes time to do it correct. However, I would rather take the time to go through all the steps to set up a note and have all the information I need, compared to doing the minimal amount of setup and regretting it later. To be fair to The Mortgage Office, there is a way to upload all your existing notes via a CSV file, we just opted not to do it.

Annette Rubelmann

The software is so stable, I never experience downtime.

Reviewed 2017-02-14

I've been using The Mortgage Office for 5 years. My monthly invoicing process went from being a 2-day challenge to a 2-hour piece of cake. My support needs are rare, but I still run into an occasional problem because I have entered something wrong and can't find it myself. Invariably the support staff is readily available, responsive, competent, and dedicated to getting me back on track. Plus the software is so stable, I never experience downtime. Just a great product.

Pros
Reliability. I trust TMO to keep accurate, consistent records

Cons
The first month billing can't be longer than 30 days. We usually do not invoice our borrower until the end of the first full month following closing, so there is often a 32-60 day gap. If we don't send out an invoice at the end of the month in which the loan closes, the borrower's billing statement reports them as late.

Megan Miller

Almost perfect

Reviewed 2016-11-07

After years of searching, I was thrilled to discover a software designed with by business in mind. The ease of purchasing and installing the software was remarkable. The amount of customizable features and the power behind this software sold me almost instantly. I am a heavy user of the construction module, and there are no options for training in this module which seems odd to me. We went to the training in CA. and learned some general tips and tricks, but were not able to gain any further knowledge into the construction module which is why went in the first place. It's very difficult to get a hold of the support line. You never get through to anyone when you call. If you opt for sending an email, you typically get a call back within the same business day. The downside is that now I am in an epic game of phone tag trying to get my software functioning and have no idea when this might be resolved. When I do have the opportunity to speak with someone I am so happy with the customer service. Bottom line I would recommend this software, but make sure you're not in a hurry to implement it.

Pros
Ease of purchase and installation. I can customize everything and anything. The math computations are accurate and also custom to your specific needs.

Cons
It's difficult to get support staff on the phone and sometimes end up in a phone tag scenario.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Richard Temme

ABS-TMO Loan Service Software

Reviewed 2014-04-19

My mortgage company invested in the ABS loan service software in 1981. We were lucky to have originally selected ABS because, through the years, they have outperformed the other companies we've examined, that have developed along the way. ABS has continued to frequently upgrade not only their programs but the software and systems that drive their loan service software, TMO. I've been very happy with the customer service; however, some of our employees have on occasion expressed a desire for higher levels; in fairness, I believe the ABS customer service is above the average of most software companies with which we've dealt. Accommodating convenience and ease of use is strong. ABS allows huge volumes of supporting files, loan documents, appraisals, ETC, to be available at a click from within a specific loan file; more important is that the method they've designed does so without noticeably slowing the system. ABS appears to have strived to accommodate requirements of the many new loan servicing regulations as they have developed in recent years. Although, we have worried about ABS meeting some of the required loan service deadlines and on a few occasions began developing work around procedures in case the programming changes were not made in time. In the end, our concerns were unnecessary and ABS delivered by the regulatory deadlines. Note: The software agreement is unusual; potential clients should carefully read and understand the agreement which is easy to inadvertently violate by accessing the program from a home or other remote connection unless a single laptop is used in all locations in conjunction with a single dedicated terminal server. In the end, the negative issues mentioned herein are relatively small in relationship to the overall quality and ease of use of the product and of the company's history of updating the quality and performance of their systems as well as accommodating the required regulatory changes. I have not seen another system I'd rather have; even at a much higher price.

Brett Zaroff

Should've bought it years earlier!

Reviewed 2016-12-13

I've used different loan servicing products over the years, and The Mortgage Office is hands down light years ahead of other systems I would know because I purchased and used 3 other products! Each one I bought was mainly based on cost (they were cheaper). I really wish I had bought The Mortgage Office the first time around. It's very easy to use, the tech people are fantastic, and it's a robust system that has bulletproof calculations and does everything a private lender could ever dream of. Whether running statements or filtering loans by type, everything is just a click or two away. I am very happy with this software great product, great company, great time in place. I highly recommend it for anyone servicing loans it's a great value.

Pros
It's a powerful product that I love using every day. Very, very happy.

Sandra Terrebonne

Complete & Powerful Software Program with add on Modules giving you options to expand your services.

Reviewed 2017-12-14

Pros
The software handles all aspects of Loan Servicing within the program. The integration of the different modules makes using the program seamless. I have used several Forms Design programs in the past and the Custom Letters & Reports program is well designed and extremely east to use.

Cons
I have been involved in writing a custom Collection Program, integrating an Accounting Program with other Loan Servicing Software as well as using other Loan Servicing Software for 27+ years and by farm The Mortgage Office is the BEST. To answer your question what I like least about the program is that it is a Massive and covers every aspect of Loan Servicing; which makes it the BEST of programs.

Rohit Patel

Great working Modules with support at hand.

Reviewed 2019-08-19

Having friendly and professional statements for Loans, Investors which can be e-mailed & printed.

Pros
TMO has culminated over decades of work in loan servicing software. Rep has lot of in-depth knowledge that he passes on in the Seminar. Wish we had done this seminar when we purchased the software. We are very keen in trying the easy methods. Also the Support team help is great. We are not utilizing all the modules. But their integration of ACH, emails, Text messages are very helpful. All the staff is eager to help. Sales & Marketing team was awesome. PLEASE ATTEND THE SEMINAR AFTER YOU DIVE INTO THIS SOFTWARE. Earlier the better.

Cons
For odd loans/transactions it may be customized but the cost can be high. For those we are still using Excel spreadsheets

Dianne McMaster

The conversion from our previous software, training and implementation was a breeze.

Reviewed 2018-03-23

Efficiencies are key to a great team. This software allows my team to manage the easier aspects of the job quickly and easily leaving them more time to focus on other projects.

Pros
The Escrow Analysis, Payment Application, Conversation Logs, Statements and Past Due Notices. The ability to reformat our communication to customers quickly and easily. The entire software package has made our mortgage management efficient and accurate.

Cons
It's not necessarily a con but would love to have an adhoc reporting tool. Some of the fields have no reporting tools embedded in the software and I would love to be able to pull them out.

Carol Ussery

We love TMO, we use it all day, every day

Reviewed 2017-08-22

Ability to service more loans, this program helps track everything we do as a team, lates, payments, interest rate changes, multiple lenders, multiple vendors, fractionalized notes, credti reporting, IRS reporting, online access for borrowers and lenders, and on and on and on.

Pros
This program makes servicing thousands of loans possible. So many reports available to our lenders and borrowers. It tracks everything and allows us to report to credit. We love it and so do our clients and customers.

Cons
It's expensive, initial costs and monthly fees but it does so much of what we need. The only feature I have trouble with is the customized reports.

Jason Reedy

Quality Product, Excellent Customer Service, Would Recommend to Others

Reviewed 2014-04-22

(Note: Capterra only allows a maximum of 2,500 characters for a review. Thus below is only the bullet points. For full details, I have uploaded the full review to the public folder on my Dropbox at: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26145970/TMO%20Review.pdf) Summary: Very good product, I would recommend to anyone looking for a simple to use client/server loan servicing solution. Modules Purchased: * Loan Servicing * ACH Express Users: 10 Architecture: Local Client/Server using JetEngine on MS Access Pros: * Rich Functionality - a lot of functionality, probably more than you will need * Customizable Interface - main search grid can be customized by user * Quick Search - you can lookup an account by almost anything in the account record * Document Generation - easily publish statements, coupons, payoff, ets. * Audit Trail - logs important events and changes in an Event Journal * Categories - quick way to add custom fields by which to filter and sort your accounts * Open Architecture - database tables are exposed allowing you to create customer reports * Exporting - can easily access documents and results into Excel, Adobe, or RTF formats * Custom Letters - quickly send customers a custom letter * Customer Support - excellent customer service Cons: * "Old World" Interface - old client/server style interface * "As Of" Reporting - you need to run reports on the day you want them (i.e. on month-end) * Historical Editing - no simple way to edit your loan history without reversing transactions * Licensing Structure - geared more toward mass employee servicing departments * Online Self-Service - none really to speak of * Manual Payments - payments need to be applied manually for charges and fees * Categories - many fields of information are only exposed if you use categories, which requires you to double enter the information

Loren Dunnam-Nohelty

So functional!

Reviewed 2019-10-08

My overall experience has been pleasant. After the training, it was realized that we could use many other parts of this software in other parts of our daily business. We have even seamlessly added another kind of loan service for our citizens.

Pros
The smart views is my favorite place to be in The Mortgage Office. This application makes it simple to group different kinds of loans together and see that total of that type of loan. The attachments in each loan folder has also helped us cut down on the hard files that were being stored.

Cons
I do not have a least favorite function.

Genevie Mondragon

The Mortgage Office is AMAZING!

Reviewed 2019-12-10

The Mortgage Office handles all aspects of our loans, from origination to issuing checks and performing monthly reconciliations.

Pros
I have been using this software for 10+ years and I love it. This software makes servicing easy. Anyone can use it! And if you ever have any questions, you can always call customer support and they get back to you fast with how to resolve anything. I love that this software is easy to customize to your preference. I highly recommend this software!

Cons
No cons to using this program. Everything is easy to fix.

Robert Kearney

Owned for over three years. Very complex, Updates routinely have major bugs. Understaffed Support.

Reviewed 2017-08-03

We service a private loan portfolio and prepare 1098 forms for borrowers. This has worked well in the past, but current bugs are causing concern that the 1098 forms will need to be double checked during the very busy month of January.

Pros
The concept and theoretical flexibility of the software is really cool. The reports are generally well formatted. Borrower communication options are varied and allow easy email, but the calculations need to be correct.

Cons
Very complex, takes months to learn to use. Easily allows problem entries. Support is pleasant, but lacks everyday use knowledge. 4 to 6 steps required for tasks like simply advancing interest on a construction loan. Tracking of % complete and % disbursed on construction takes longer in The Mortgage Office than in a simple Excel spreadsheet. Over the last year the whiz bang modules that they are adding look great, but as updates occur with the main, modules of servicing, the lack of testing is clear as each update precipitates major bugs which cost my staff scores of hours. Customer service is helpless as they are not prepped for the updates and typically don't have the operating expertise to comprehend the full scope of the problem. , but they are nice people. Support calls are seldom answered within an hour. Typically it's about a 24 hour turnaround, with a call to us (Mountain Time) just about the time my staff is walking out the door.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Anonymous

Great loan servicing software

Reviewed 2019-03-30

Pros
Mortgage Office is a great tool for loan servicing that can be customized and queried in many ways. The audit and reporting functions also work great as well the customer support group. It’s very accurate and updated routinely to ensure compatibility. Overall easy to use loan management software, would highly recommend!

Cons
It can be costly depending on how much of the software is installed. Also the reporting could be more robust in certain areas but does cover most data.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10