e-MDs

Electronic health records and practice management software

e-MDs Reviews

Heather K.

Benefits are hard to quantify in terms of dollars and cents. I was able to successfully attest to meaningful use both in 2011 and 2012 by using the system.

George M.

I've used several Practice Management systems in the last 10 years and E-mds is the one I recommend to inquiring practices because of it's comprehensiveness and ease of use.

Kari T.

David B.

Heather K.

No spell check in drop down menus to prevent foolish errors. Jack of all trades master of none, until you develop your system to your liking.

Marc G.

2.3

Excellent, comfort and speed of technology extends to the doctor's office.

The benefits are multiple, allows to program patients, equipment and personnel which can be a complex task, which makes a big difference in patient satisfaction. Likewise, you can have full control of EHR directly from the office or hosted in the cloud eMDs, the series of solutions works as a doctor thinks, and among other things, the Solution Series section is also known to be the leading system in capturing accurate clinical and billing data that supports the ability to make detailed quality reports and generate accurate claims.

Pros

I like the most is that it improves the patients' experience with your practice, gives them the confidence that the practice enabled with technology can provide fast, efficient, accurate and compassionate attention. The management technology of medical practice improves relations with the patient, instead of moving away from them. I also like that Solution Series clinical solutions are designed by practicing physicians who recognize that the software must be fast, customizable and intuitive at the point of care.

Cons

I like the least is that the form of relationship of the doctor with his patient is not predicted by the software and many of them, we must use technology but with caution.

Professional complete non boiler plate notes, most in seconds

This is my 2nd EMR/PM. Expect to invest time and $. The previous reviewers are not wrong about this software, it does require many clicks to do anything, but it will function differently in different hands. I like having the option of modifying every piece of data in my note, through structured drop down menus. Others prefer to push every patient into a 1 click boilerplate MS word style template....

Pros

PM component Cut my billing time down 70% with AR improvement of 50% within a few months(over my prior EMR/PM system) Very versatile product Some English Natural language capability. Fairly smooth click to click. Things might take many clicks but they pop up quickly and smoothly while charting My notes look professional and thorough and take seconds for 99212 and <5 minutes for a 99203...

Cons

When everything can become structured data, setup can take time--many months, maybe even a year but there is enough premade data to keep the development process minimally painful. No spell check in drop down menus to prevent foolish errors Jack of all trades master of none, until you develop your system to your liking. Crashes (but Minimal if you stop the use of Micorwave in the office while...

Such a sad fate for Aprima!

Our overall experience with eMDs is HORRIBLE!! We are looking at potentially switching systems but will not make that decision until we see how things on the EHR side of things shake down. The only reason that we have not run away screaming yet is that we have been using the system for more than 5 years and are not up to the task of learning a new system and moving all of the records over. However we may change our tune depending upon how badly eMDs mismanages the system and how badly they decide to screw up what was essentially a fairly decent program as far as EHR's go.

Pros

I thought that the EHR was pretty good when Aprima was its own entity. While eMD's has not completely botched it up, it looks like this is coming. Aprima academy was a great resource but it is being changed to an eMD's product so I doubt it will be of any use any longer. By the way, it is NOT cloud based! Don't let them tell you it is - that is a lie! Also, they will nickel and dime you to death! Beware!

Cons

Aprima was a pretty good software when we signed up five years ago. While customer service was never a strong suit (still is not - may be even worse now), it was user-friendly for the most part. (Although when we signed up we were told it was a cloud-based system and it definitely IS NOT! We were using all functions of the system including the RCM/PM system. Since the eMD's takeover, that part...

Very good billing software

Pros

E-Mds is the most user friendly Practice Management software I've ever used. On the posting tab, it's so easy to see an overview of the account and each individual invoice without having to navigate to different pages. The reports are pretty good, as well, but the crystal reports can be a little hard to maneuver, especially if you are working in a billing service database.

Cons

The collections module is my least favorite thing about E-mds. It only has the option for invoice based collections and some of our practices are specialists who see patients frequently. The lists can get pretty long. Customer support is not the best I've ever dealt with either. I think they are getting better at response time, but the answers to my "can we do this" questions are usually "no".

eMDs for procedure oriented practice

Functional electronic medical record, able to e-prescribe.

Pros

Can be customized and updated with templates for procedures tailored to individual practices

Cons

Poor customer service. Updates are plagued with issues. Issues take forever to get resolved.

Flawed,buggy, updates made a once great software unusable. Non-existant support made it unfixable.

Incredibly sad. What started off as a great product devolved into an unusable one. We were loyal custormers for 8 years and by the end the software for us was completely unusable. Competent tech support may have been able to salvage our situation. We switched to Praxis EMR. It has been amazing and we have not looked back ever since.

Pros

In 2011 when we first purchased the software it was an amazing piece of software that fit the needs of our small clinic. The templates were cumbersome to set up but allowed a wide degree of customization which fit our needs as a headache clinic. The charting involved a lot of clicking...but ultimately it produced a very high quality note and performed all of the functions a small clinic would hope for from an emr.

Cons

Every single update over the past nine years chipped away at the happiness we initially felt with Emds. Cpt codes stopped loading...old templates no longer worked and were progressively harder to build. Lag time built up in using the software...logging in issues...stability issues...etc...and then mediciines that were entered into the emr started to disappear. E-prescribing stopped working all together....

Please don't choose E-mds as your EHR system!

Their customer service is horrible. E-mds requires customers to put in a "support ticket" and the average turn around time for "support" is weeks or months before you hear back. Example: We put in a ticket for our P.A. to be able to send prescriptions electronically. Our Doctors and management staff had to call weekly to try and get an answer. After the ticket had been "assigned" to a technician the...

Cons

Poor implementation, terrible customer support and even worse are hidden fees

They are not transparent in their overage fees for eligibility and EDI activity and will talk in circles without providing supporting documentation.

Pros

I cannot think of anything that stands out.

Cons

Reporting capability is limited in spite of looking like there are lots of available reports. The process of converting the reports to Excel is useless. So many merged cells that it takes hours to reformat for data filter or pivot tables.

Don't Do It!

Overall experience is very poor. STAY AWAY FROM EMDS..

Pros

The system is ok when its working correctly

Cons

Very Very POOR customer service. Continuously running slow, freezing and disconnecting. We have been using Emds for 6 years and have regretted the move ever since day 1. They lie to you to get you on board and the hidden costs are ridiculous. We have finally decided to move away from emds. If you sign on with them, you too will regret it. Their customer service has to be one of the worst in the industry. You have to submit a ticket and it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get a reply.

Bad and getting worse

Don't buy this software. It is nothing but frustration. I'm currently transitioning to another EHR.

Pros

I've been using EMD for about 6 yrs. It was not so bad in 2012. The best thing about EMD is that I wont have to use it after I'm done getting set up with another company's EHR.

Cons

They refuse to fix any of the issues. The program randomly removes the medication from the active med. list. Sometimes meds cannot be printed and if controlled can't be sent electronically either. The IT "support" will often lie to you when calling about an issue. Every update causes the program to crash.

This reviewer only left a rating

I operate a solo practice general surgery office with one surgeon and two employees in a small town in north central Mississippi. I have been using e-MDs Solution Series since 2001 when I completed my active duty service obligation in the US Army. Software has come a long way in that time frame. My server is local in my office, not off-site. I provide my own IT support as there is no reliable support...

Adminstrator for Internal Medicine Who used e-MDs

The system was a mediocre system. It does what's needed; however, administrative reports seem to be the best aspect of the EMR and do supersede other systems I've worked with.

Pros

This product has a very robust reporting system. The dates and data are able to be adjusted which makes mining for data so much easier. This system has a really good user conference every year in which I would recommend sending someone from each department to learn. e-MD's stays very up to date on quality metrics and programs.

Cons

The company itself does not provide customer service and are EXTREMELY hard to get in touch with if you have a concern. e-MD's uses a third party for customer support and they typically did a pretty good job with helping us to manage the system. Templates are EXTREMELY advanced and hard to create. The scheduling system seemed antiquated as well. The system is also very expensive.

User Friendly

My overall experience was great with it. The software was easy to learn and easy to use. It also wasn't hard to teach a knew employee how to use it either.

Pros

I used this software at my first job out of college. It was easy to learn and even if you did make an error most of the time it was easy for you to fix the problem yourself. I don't ever remeber having to ever calling tech support because it was so user friendly.

Cons

The main thing that sticks out the most to me is that the billing portion I used was all black and white. I think it could have been more beneficial if you could had color that was added to it. Or even added a post it to the account instead of having to click on the note section.

We have a three provider group with over ten years of experience with Emds. They are always behind on update (ie still have not deployed a clean ICD10). They nickle and dime everything even then it takes months to get anything done.

At one time it was a C+ EMR, however over time it slower transformed into a super D- electronic solution.

Pros

The chart has grown on me like a wart on my nose.

Cons

They really don't care about this product. It shows in the patchy software and costumer care. They are like the harvest transplant team taking one organ at a time until they get to they heart. I guess that makes our office brain dead.

e-MDS chart is awesome!

I am happy that we have access to e-MDs chart

Pros

I really like that I can go to e-MDs chart to schedule my doctor appointments. It's quick and easy and I don't have to talk to anyone on the phone. I also really like that I can see my own lab test results and that I have access to all my vaccinations.

Cons

The software does not update easily so most of the time it is not current. Sometimes the vaccinations are not updated like it should. For example if I took a flu shot and not requiring to go to the primary doctor to do so, the e-MDs chart does not update until I see my primary doctor.

EMD's

Pros

The patient information was easy to access. It was compatible with Phreesia

Cons

The charting was so many clicks for the doctors

Cost me over $50,000 in Medicare Penalties

EMD's has not updated their software to make them compliant with PQRS data retrieval required by Medicare. We have had EMD's since 2009. PQRS and Meaningful Use are Medicare requirements. EMD's has not created an update that meets these requirements. Our practice has lost over $50,000 because of this. We were able to salvage an additional $75,000 loss by hand counting and collecting some data required by PQRS. This came at a significant employee cost. Other EMR systems such as Modernizing Medicine are up to date with their ability to gather the data required by PQRS and I strongly recommend that you look at that product or others.

Pros

Good accounting module

Cons

No support for upcoming Medicare requirements on data collection --- PQRS and Meaningful Use.

too complicated

Do not purchase this system if you are not in the medical field.

Pros

Alot of fancy features and built in wording to make documentation quicker.

Cons

The systemis sold as a "For All-Be All" and its not. The system is great for medical practices. However, being a mental health company the system is very difficult to function by a nonmedical person. Too many clicks to get to where you want to go when it comes to customizing your own data. The representative was thoroughly trained in the system. However, when it came time for us to use it was too much...

My Review!

Overall, I enjoyed using e-MDs in the past.

Pros

e-MDs is an awesome software that I used in the medical field. It is pretty self-explanatory and easy to use.

Cons

We often dealt with having to restart the software or shut it down completely. I am not sure why, but it happened way too often and sometimes you would lose your work if it froze on you.

Very poor responses from customer service

On the surface, E-MDs is setup to work great and has a lot of great features. Once you buy in, it's terrible. We have been with them for 7 months and still are not functioning properly. If you need meaningful use, forget E-Mds. When you put a ticket in, well, don't waste your time. We have the cloud based and it has been a nightmare. What was suppose to cost us under $5000 to start up has cost in access of $20,000 and we still have features that are not working. I would suggest another system all together.

Cons

Thank you for your continued patience as we work with your clinic on the issues and challenges you are experiencing in your first months using Solution Series. Transitioning to a new EHR and a new hosting provider can be a long and sometimes daunting process especially as you are seeing patients. As we work with you through the issues, our hope is that you will begin to reap the benefits of using Solution Series. We will continue to work with you to ensure your success.

Just do not buy

I would never purchase or recommend anyone to purchase this product. Customer service is the pits.

Pros

Betsy sales Rep- It's not her fault she has to handle everything

Cons

Administration, building schedules, patient charts, Prescriptions, reporting. We do not use the billing portion thank goodness. Calling service is a joke. I waited over 2 months for them to add a provider to my group and I continually called, sent emails, logged cases. I had to wait almost 4 months for them to install the new patient portal named UPDOX after they upgraded to 9.1 and didn't realize the old patient portal would not work anymore. It is difficult to get them to do anything in a timely manner.

Beware of the fine print

Terrible. For those who are users of the old Aprima, please read the fine print of the eMDs Terms of Service. There are things in there that are important to know moving forward, especially about termination/renewal. That is all I can say.

Pros

Used to be great product, but focus seems to be different under this company.

Cons

Customer service was far below what I am used with the old company

Medisoft just got bought out by EMD

Avoid like the plague

Pros

I have not been able to send secondary claims for over a month... and EMD's are of no help! I will have to print the claims and submit them manually

Worst EHR system

Pros

I can access from my iPad . Not much else positive to say

Cons

This is easily the MOST stressful part of my job. EMDs is chalked full of errors, moves in a cogwheel fashion. I spend a substantial amount of time staring at me screen waiting for system to respond. This system goes down on a regular basis with no solutions in sight! I would never recommend this EHR system to ANY practice. Looking to switch to another system.

Down at least 50% of the time; asking for fixes--nothing happens

Providing patient data and patient-MD communication

Pros

Menu is OK although sometimes buttons don't work

Cons

The messaging functions often simply don't work. The test results functions rarely work. You can't get any help. When you tell the MD's office they have a problem, mostly nothing happens, so they must be having trouble getting a hold of eMDs Solutions. MD's staff even agrees that their Portal is terrible. There are many bad portals out there, but this is among the worst I've expereienced--and this has been going on since it was installed! These guys have a long way to go to re-earn my trust.