Castor EDC Reviews

Castor EDC

The top-rated EDC system in the world (EDC + ePRO + eCOA)

4.65/5 (102 reviews)

Pros
  • Very easy and user friendly to set up with a great support team. Much more affordable than previous databases we have used.Georgina C.Read the full review
  • Also making queries is very nice, it has multiple steps in closing a query what makes it very clear. What's also great is that gaining access to a database is very simple and easily arranged.Yavanna v.Read the full review
  • Castor EDC is supported by many companies as a reliable partner. Castor keeps updating its product and services in order to keep up with developments in research law and good clinical practice.Robin K.Read the full review
Cons
  • It leads to some lagg in inserting data and it will nog let you make entire steps missing when applicable -> meaning you have to tag every single item as missing which is not very efficient.Robin K.Read the full review
  • This is the only issue that is somewhat annoying, having to justify why even though I am not changing the data.Tsz Wai C.Read the full review
  • I made a few mistakes the first time I used it.Wiert R.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Remco Hurkmans

Great online program for study

Reviewed 2019-10-18

Good online service. Very helpfull for my Study

Pros
Safe program, you can use it on every computer, at home and in the office. It was fine to use the trial version.

Cons
Some little bugs, difficult Java scripts, Not possible to changes the output file

Sanne Ahles

Very nice software, with future possibilities

Reviewed 2019-10-18

When designing the study in castor, you learn a lot of functionalities that might come in handy for future designing. However, in the beginning, it can be hard to figure out where to start. Therefore, I would recommend everyone to take a look at the tutorial videos provided by Castor. They really helped me to understand the software better.

Pros
The software is easy to use, and allows for multiple people to work on the same project, whilst still being able to discriminate who worked on what fields. Additionally, after some practice, it is quite simple to build up an eCRF in castor, which can be used for live data storage.

Cons
The fact that it is not able to import survey answers. We started using Castor when our study had already started. In order to store data from subjects that had already started our study, all survey answers had to be filled in manually. Also, at this moment, Castor does not warn you when you still have a report open for a subject, it still shows up as 100% complete when all regular fields are filled in. This would be nice to change.

Maarten Cozijnsen

Good product, best service and easy to use

Reviewed 2020-05-04

Pros
The structure is intuïtive, solid and runs smoothly which is very important for multicenter research. It helped me significantly in my work as project manager of an international multicenter RCT.

Cons
There are still options for improvement, such as a reminder for participating researchers of a coming deadline for a study visit (but Castor may have added this feature since I last used it).

CLAUDIO IANNACONE

Castor EDC is easy to use

Reviewed 2019-08-28

Pros
Easy to build the eCRF forms as well as define the study roles and join users to the study. CRF forms can be replicated from one study to another in very easy way and faster.

Cons
The data export functionality should be improved. XML and SAS datasets formats exports should be added

Response from Castor

Hi Claudio,

Thank you for your review. We are continuously developing the product, so we would like to hear your further feedback on how to improve the data export functionality. We are at the moment considering the addition of SAS export.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Kees vdW

Excellent EDC and easy to use

Reviewed 2020-02-18

Pros
Easy to use, manage and build. Multiple users can easlily work in a case-by-case EDC. Setting authorizations is easy and feedback can be given by means of queries. Data export is easy and complete.

Cons
It tends to get slower over time due to pilled up logs which are logged on the background and can be cleared by the team of castor.

Francesca Sernissi

The best EDC system I’ve ever used

Reviewed 2019-09-11

I am very satisfied with Castor EDC

Pros
It’s very easy to create an eCRF and also to monitor studies. GCP compliance is also an important aspect

Cons
Probably the ePRO module; questionnaire scheduling can be improved

Response from Castor

Hi Francesca,

Thank you for claiming Castor is the best EDC you've used!

Please have a look at our automation engine - this can make scheduling surveys quite effortless! And of course, contact our support team if you need help - we are happy to advise you.

Thanks again,

Sharon Goldfarb

Best Value and Also Best Product

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-08-08

Pros
This software is intuitive to use. The company provides video training with all the ins and outs, even though you can work with it without the training. In the past, I had issues with obtaining a calculation for a specific formula and the customer support was so helpful, truly. Responses were almost immediate and my issue was resolved. In addition, the use of records and reports are so helpful when building the CRFs. This product includes EVERYTHING you can find in all of the competing products, including the regulatory requirements, but is so much less expensive that it is not even worth checking out the other companies. This is my go to platform for all of my clients' clinical trials.

Cons
Watching the videos... I just want to hop in. I am writing this because I have to, honestly, there is nothing I don't like about this software.

Response from Castor

Hi Sharon,

Thank you so much for this super positive review and great to have you as a loyal customer! Our goal is to offer a product that covers all features necessary for any medical device or pharma study at a competitive price - so it's good to hear that it has indeed met your company's needs.

Best regards,

Gwendolyn Vuurberg

Castor, easy data management

Reviewed 2019-09-06

Great experience. Especially as the support is quick and complete answering querries.

Pros
The most convenient thing about using Castor is that I do not have to send paper questionnaires and fill out all data manually. I created a survey and now my patients fill out the questions electronically. Subsequently the answers are converted to the nessecary data so I can perform my analyses. Another pro is that I can provide others access to the database but monitor their actions and changes, and also provide limited access in case of multicenter trials, to limit the risk of errors creating new cases.

Cons
I cannot see which patients have fully been included or have finished the study. Although a progress bar is included now, some questions are not obligatory and are still counted for the study progress. But there is not much to dislike.

Response from Castor

Hi Gwendolyn,

Thanks for your positive review! We're glad you like our ePRO solution and the central user management.

We recommend using the record progress for tracking the completeness of the records, which takes into account only required questions. We are planning including a record status option where you could mark your records accordingly depending on the specific study flow.

Arjen Smits

Maakt onderzoek opzetten eenvoudig

Reviewed 2020-03-31

Pros
Erg makkelijk in gebruik en het vooraf kunnen inplannen van vragenlijst-uitnodigingen scheelt veel tijd.

Cons
In het begin waren er wat moeilijkheden met invoeren van sommige email adressen en deze moest steeds opnieuw worden ingevoerd bij nieuwe vragenlijst. Dit is inmiddels opgelost. Het is soms wel lastig als je even wat wil aanpassen dat de hele studie naar niet-live gezet moet worden.

Maaike Rademaker

Great program

Reviewed 2020-02-03

Pros
Very easy to use, practical, great survey tool.

Cons
It is unfortunately to recieve notification after 1 or 2 year follow up, following data entry of a patient.

Reza Indrakusuma

Castor - a modern data entry tool for research

Reviewed 2019-11-27

I use Castor for two studies, one of which is a long-term multicentre study. I have designed these studies in Castor and am very happy with the product.

Pros
Castor is easy to use. In designing studies, I like how variables and answers are easily created, and that answers can be re-used for multiple variables. I also really appreciate the feature to have a variable depend on a (hidden) calculation. In using that feature, I have found that https://www.castoredc.com/tools/calculation-helper/ is a great way of testing your calculations are syntactically correct. It is also helpful that additional information can be given per variable. All these and other features make data entry clear and understandable for users, which in turn ensures that data entry mistakes are minimised or even prevented. Furthermore, it helps each study with an audit trail, so that changes are clearly documented for audit purposes. In my contact with customer support I have found that they responded swiftly and were always able to help me with any queries. Lastly, Castor keeps improving on its exisiting product, which to me is a significant sign of long-term viability. This is especially relevant when considering Castor for long-term research projects.

Cons
Getting to know Castor takes a bit of time, but it is very helpful to be aware of the structure of Castor, which allows you to fully utilise its potential.

Lisa Misell

High-quality, compliant and affordable EDC

Reviewed 2018-10-26

Very positive. It's a compliant, easy to use, intuitive system that is affordable.

Pros
After a quick initial learning curve the system is easy to build out without having someone on staff that is an IT expert. Our clinical study managers are able to build out each study with little to no help from Castor. The database is easy to use by both clinical sites and sponsors. The company continues to improve the features of the system and provide webcasts to review the changes and answer user questions. The value can't be beat. As an early-stage start up company we are happy to have found a high-quality compliant system we can afford.

Cons
The one feature we feel is lacking is the ability of an investigator to "batch approve" once they have reviewed the data. It is labor intensive to approve each study visit and each record generated. Other systems provide this ability and investigator's expect this from all systems.

Response from Castor

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for the positive review and for outlining all the aspects of our system that we pride ourselves on!

We indeed offer regular webinars, help from our support team, and an extensive online manual with the aim that every user creates a database on their own in no time!

Bulk actions is a good point, definitely something we are working on (for records, reports, and surveys!). We are also doing a make-over of the entire navigation in Castor in order to improve the design and intuitiveness of the system and to make that learning curve even steeper!

Thank you for the 5 stars!

Rosaline van den Berg

Castor EDC - user friendly, with lots of options and a great helpdesk

Reviewed 2019-08-08

Before they were using Castor EDC in this hospital, not everyone was working GCP-proof. With Castor EDC, they do. Benefits are that I can re-use some of the previously created eCRFs, which saves a lot of time and promotes standardization of databases.

Pros
The software is user friendly, and it is clear that (medical) researchers were involved in the development of the software - which is very convenient. The software offers a lot of options, so users can design their own eCRF and databases. The manual offer a lot of information if you do not know you to create something you have in mind. Moreover, the helpdesk is Always very quick in responding to your questions. What I also appreciate is that Castor EDC is open for any suggestions for improvement.

Cons
I do miss some options that I appreciated a lot while working with other similar software (in other hospitals). However, a pro is that I have mentioned those to the helpdesk and either they responded that they will incorporate them in future, or put them on a whish list, or they provided me a kind of work around. Unfortunately, not all the options I appreciated in the other software will be incorporated.

Response from Castor

Dear Rosaline,

Thank you for your review - we are indeed focused on compliance and data standardization, so thank you for pointing that out.

We are developing Castor continuously so we hope that the features you are missing will be there soon! In the meantime, please do continue to give us feedback.

Robin Kwakman

A reliable database for all types of studies

Reviewed 2019-08-15

Dont let the cons bother you too much. Its a future proof software which every researcher should seriously consider using.

Pros
+ Ease of use, it didnt take long to master it. + Castor EDC is supported by many companies as a reliable partner. + Castor keeps updating its product and services in order to keep up with developments in research law and good clinical practice. + No more paper! (Or rather.. less paper) + The ability to create case report forms of measurement instruments for future use in other studies. + Large amount of options for all types of studies.

Cons
- The way the database is set up enforces the user to decide how he/she wants her data to be exported. - The system is not really designed for a high amount of measurements per step. It leads to some lagg in inserting data and it will nog let you make entire steps missing when applicable -> meaning you have to tag every single item as missing which is not very efficient. - The use of previously used/exported CRFs is still in development. For instance, only entire steps can be exported for future use though often steps contain multiple instruments or measurements.

Sjors K

Castor is an indispensable tool for clinical research!

Reviewed 2019-01-21

I used the platform for 5 international retrospective multi-center cohort studies and it was a great experience to see how researchers at all the participating centers interacted so easily with the software. Everyone loved it.

Pros
Castor is a GDPR compliant tool to capture and store baseline characteristics, patient surveys, and clinical outcomes. It's affordable, easy to set up and easy to use. What I love most about it is that it improves the study quality so much compared to traditional methods of data capturing. I also love all the automatic calculations (e.g. age from date of birth and procedure date) the system can perform. The ePro feature to send out surveys to patients directly is great!

Cons
The platform could be even better if it offered functionality to design/structure all variables, definitions, input value options, and calculations in Excel and upload it to Castor. This would make it so much easier to translate (parts) of existing databases to new projects. Also, I missed an option to directly export the database to STATA. Castor currently only supports CSV/Excel/SPSS. Otherwise, no cons.

Response from Castor

Hi Sjors,

Thank you for your positive review! It's good to hear that you have used Castor for so many multicenter studies and that all users were happy with the platform. We hope you conduct many more successful studies in the future!

We actually have an internal method to transform existing 'Excel' databases into Castor and we do offer such transformations. Please get in touch and we can lead you through the process!

Best regards,

Bill Haack

Easy to use and well designed

Reviewed 2019-05-02

Pros
We are a small start-up company and the task of setting up our study fell on me, a person with absolutely no experience with EDC systems. After doing a little research we selected Castor EDC because it seemed easy to use and the price was right for us. Castor EDC has been everything we've hoped it would be. It is easy to learn and set-up. Our study sites have liked it and found it very easy to use. It is feature complete doing everything we have wanted to do. One concern we had was that the company has no US-based support and we are on the West coast. As such, getting support in real-time is really not an option. I was also concerned about possible language barriers. Those initial concerns have not materialized to be realities. On the three occasions I have required support, I have received it within 24 hours, via email. Each time the answer I received was complete and they addressed my question on the first response. Overall, we are very satisfied.

Cons
I have two fairly nit picky issues: 1. Setting up user rights is a bit clunky. It is very flexible, which I love, but a bit clunky. 2. Dependencies and validations are limited to a single field and the logic is very limited. On the plus side, one can work around those limitations with hidden calculations.

Response from Castor

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for you review. We are very happy to be able to help your business with such an important element of your journey towards getting Alibrex to market. I will be in touch soon for a personal introduction.

Please know, while not immediate, we do plan to redesign the validation and dependency builder. In the mean time, as you mentioned, multi-variate edit checks and dependencies can be scripted using calculation fields.

Derk Arts, MD PhD
CEO Castor EDC

Gabby Hul

CASTOR for clinical studies

Reviewed 2018-10-29

CASTOR incorporates everything that I wanted from an electronic data capture program, and is so easy to use that everyone can work with it.

Pros
CASTOR for me is the answer to electronic data capture. It is easy to use, you have full control, it is safe and data from several sources can be incorporated. Can be used by the investigator, monitor as well as the participant for answering the questionnaires. I also like the fact that the software keeps being developed and better features are added regulary. Communication is excellent.

Cons
The help section is sometimes a bit hard to work through. Also would like to have a printable version of the manual (esp. for instructions to people using the ready-made castor forms).

Response from Castor

Dear Gabby,

Thanks for this great review! We pride ourselves on our platform's security, user-friendliness and multiple functionalities, as well as the responsiveness of our support team, so we are happy to hear that these are the highlights for you as a data manager!

We have recently migrated our entire knowledge base, have you checked it out? It can be found at https://helpdesk.castoredc.com. The searchability has improved significantly since! We have also added printable pdf manuals for data entry users, study admins and monitors. We hope these will be useful for you!

Thank you!

Olav Versloot

Positive experiences with Castor

Reviewed 2019-08-08

I can only recommend Castor since using it, it's easy, comprehensive and complete and has an excellent support staff.

Pros
Castor gives an easy to use, easily understandable online tool to set up and execute your research projects. Starting up is easy: just play with it! Don't be affraid to ruin anything, just try it. It give some excellent videos for your support in starting with Castor. The helpdesk is very helpful: mails are responded to within the hour and issues are actually solved, even it takes quite some time (several days in my case).

Cons
If you want to set up calculations in Castor, you need knowledge of java. It would be a great benefit if this was made easier. With a little trial and error, you will get a long way, but it remains an issue. Despite the fact that Castor gives you quite good support on these calculations.

Response from Castor

Hi Olav,

Many thanks for your 5-star review and for praising our support team! We indeed try our best to help all users get the best support possible.

As far as calculations go, our calculation library contains a lot of ready-to-use templates that you can easily adapt for your own use. The advantage of javascript, although it requires some getting used to, is that it is quite powerful, so it allows you to perform complex calculations and edit checks to ensure data quality. But if I understand correctly by now you're a pro :-)

Anne-Floor Quast

Castor Review

Reviewed 2019-07-01

Very good! Since we use Castor our data quality has improved tremendously since our research staff (around the world) immediatly got familiar with Castor and found it much easier to use than the previous systems.

Pros
How fast we could get started as Castor is very user friendly. We could build some eCRFs ourselves, and the support provided for the parts we could not do ourselves was very fast, adequate and high quality.

Cons
Nothing so far. Some minor features that were not available were customly build for us when requested.

Response from Castor

Hi Anne-Floor,
Thank you for your all-star review! It makes us extremely happy to hear that you have found Castor so easy to use and valuable for your study!
- Elena

Fleur Keij

Clear and user friendly database with many features

Reviewed 2018-10-25

Castor has a good customers service who supports you when you encounter any difficulties and provides you with helpful tips/solutions.

Pros
It is easy for a non-experienced database builder to create your own database using Castor. The database is easy to use for data-entry, monitoring and creating reports or surveys. You can add a lot of users and adjust the rights for each of the users. As an admin you have a clear overview on the progress of the study in all participating sites and you get a message every time a patient is included in the trial.

Cons
Sending out surveys is still a manual task, it would be great if by just entering the participants' email address, the surveys are sent automatically.

Response from Castor

Hi Fleur,

Thanks for your 5 star review, we really appreciate it! With regards to sending surveys when you add the email address, have you looked at our automation engine?

That should hopefully make your life even easier!

All the best,

Derk Arts, MD PhD
CEO Castor EDC

Mike Cunneen

Really Versatile and GDPR Compliant Data Storage Platform

Reviewed 2018-10-26

The ability to build our own research forms and surveys, quickly and in GDPR compliant way is a massive help for us as it has drastically reduced the cost of this and also the time it takes to get the forms built. It means we can do research faster and cheaper and with compliance headaches handled. The support from Castor has been amazing. They are very quick to respond (even to stupid questions!) and gave us huge support before we signed up.

Pros
We literally have found tons of uses for Castor. The ability to build your own forms quickly and knowing the data is stored in a GDPR Compliant way is a HUGE help for us. Also the validation options in the fields are really good / ensure high level of data quality. And Also, The SPSS export function is really a great help too!

Cons
The Surveys do not work well on Mobile phones and most of our research participants would use them that way.

Response from Castor

Hi Mike,

Great to hear that you have found so many uses of Castor and that you rate it with 5 stars on all aspects! Compliance and security, together with a helpful support team our some of our top priorities!

There have been some small improvements in the survey mobile experience, but we are aiming for a full mobile optimization with our coming redesigns. Stay tuned! :)

alden van putten

Castor edc: the database to have

Reviewed 2018-10-29

Castor is continuosly growing, so i always look forward to the next upgrade. My experience is very good. I have a good connection with a few employers at Castor and we help each other out.

Pros
very easy to understand and use. you have an immediate layout overview when setting up the database.

Cons
some validations are not yet possible some validations need multiple calculations which takes time to build

Response from Castor

Dear Alden,

Thank you for reviewing Castor EDC and for being part of the Castor research community! We are happy to hear that you find the platform user-friendly!

As you probably know, calculation fields offer a wide range of validations you can do using multiple study variables. I understand this might take a bit of extra time which is why we intend to make complex data validations even easier in the future.

We also always look forward to our upgrades and to continuously delivering new features that help maximize the efficiency and impact of research done across the world!

Thanks,

Joshua Percy

Review of Castor

Reviewed 2019-08-26

Pros
- Ease of Programming. I don't have any programming experience, but I was able to build out the whole EDC database by myself, just watching the tutorial videos and explanations on the Castor website. - Responsive Support. Mainly interacted with Customer Support leads, but as a whole was impressed that the support team took our issues seriously and followed through to conclusion. - Low Price. Honestly, likely too low of a price for the value. Others in the field are something like 10x what you are charging, or far more. - User Interface. I like the changes made recently. Really opens up the screen.

Cons
- Loading Time. This may be down to how I organized my Study with lots of repeated measures and a long architecture. But it takes a good 30-60 seconds to load up an individual Subject, and then 10 seconds or so to switch fields sometimes, most notably when I'm trying to dig through Reports. - Single Dependencies. Likely it would overcomplicate the programming, but being able to have more than 1 Dependency for an item would be useful. Only in a small percentage of cases, so the vast majority a single Dependency was sufficient. A like-to-have, not a need-to-have.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Robyn Rexwinkel

Beste Datamanagement System I'v worked with

Reviewed 2019-08-15

Pros
I really like Castor EDC. It is easy to build and has many features. I use Castor EDC on a daily basis for my multicentre RCT. It is easy that I an keep in touch with other centres through this system. Futhermore, it is very easy to send out questionnaires. The most positive thing about Castor is that you have all your data in one place. Finally, Catsor has a very good customer service. If I have a problem, I get a respons in one hour. At the beginning we had some difficulties with our study, and Castor invited us to their main office to help us.

Cons
I hope in feature, Castor will be linked with EPIC. Furthermore, I hope will be possible to sign Informed Consents in Castor.

alden van putten

Castor EDC: growing and growing internationally

Reviewed 2019-08-08

Pros
Easy to use and understand. The manual provided is very extensive and answers practically all your answers. Researchers themselves can create their own database without extensive software knowledge such as Oracle Clinical. The helpdesk is also very swift in replying to one's questions.

Cons
The study part of Castor is not yet compatible with the screens of mobile phones and tablets. Hopefully soon. The validations and dependencies could be extended to multiple fields to minimize the use of extra calculation fields.