Adobe Illustrator Logo

8.1K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.85/10

Reviews by rating

The thing I like the most is the ease of use of software and the amount of awesome features that is included with the software.
The pros of this product is that it is extremely great for creating projects, especially when using a MAC. I highly recommend Apple products as it works best for designing.
You are able to make beautiful and stunning illustrations for your social media posts or any posters. You can edit any symbol, picture etc with it.
The bummer about Adobe is that you can no longer purchase the software as a one-off. Now it’s a subscription that you have to pay monthly or yearly and the fees are quite hefty.
I think most of the frustration comes with user error and not doing enough research on the current subject.
On rare occasions, the app will stall or close down altogether. This could be a flaw with either the application itself or the system I'm using it on.

8,195 reviews

IS

Isabel S.

Portrait Artist

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

Easy to use for a non-draw-er!

Transcript

Isabel S.: Hi, I'm Isabel. I work as a portrait artist. I am giving a number five out of five review...

Vincent Y.

Web Designer & Education Consultant

Education Management, 11-50 employees

It's the Industry Standard for Vector Graphics and Design - Takes Time to Learn

Transcript

Vincent: Hi, my name is Vincent. I'm a web designer in the education industry, and I give Adobe Illustrator...

Ricardo O.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Intuitive, precise and customizable tools, reliable color

I have been using Illustrator over 25 years. Honestly I always use perhaps 10% of its power. I find it to be a reliable design powerhouse.

Pros

Standards! Adobe Illustrator has been around for decades, and this shows in the level of refinement of its tools. Another advantage of this ubiquity is that most professional design studios "speak" Adobe allowing for easy collaboration and reliability of outcomes. Each tools can be tweaked to each specific need or taste and the workspace can be also tailored to specific design scenarios. Typography is something very important to me. The granular control Adobe Illustrator provides to type functions has no competition. Color is accurate, and on this front, Adobe benefits not only from decades of experience and partnerships, but also from the tight integration between Illustrator and other Creative Cloud products, that also happen to be ubiquitous in the design industry.

Cons

Only con... the subscription pricing model... but I guess this is where the whole industry is heading to.

AM

Asfak M.

Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees

Endless possibilities for vector design

For designing Industry standard Vector graphics & working in the design world it's my go-to choice. For my client projects, I prefer Illustrator the best.

Pros

Illustrator is the most feature-rich vector design software I've ever used. It is the industry standard & the learning curve was not that hard for me.

Cons

The subscription model is not good enough & the price is a bit high for 3rd world countries like Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan etc. Illsutrator requires a lot of resource to perform smoothly so my 3yrs old laptop couldn't run this well.

MD

Matija D.

Higher Education, 1-10 employees

Advanced tool for design

For complex design Illustrator can help you achieve all you need, but for daily creation simple design it is not first option.

Pros

Adobe is well known software company with tools for changing digital experience. Every design can be extract for different platforms and purpose.

Cons

To complex for beginners or for some things you need fast and with prepared template.

Sara H.

Chemicals, self-employed

Review for AI

For creating professional-quality Vector graphics and a career in the design field, it's my tool of choice. Illustrator is my tool of choice when working on projects for business.

Pros

When compared to other vector design programmes, Illustrator's feature set is much superior. It's the gold standard in the business world, and I picked it up very quickly.Adobe Illustrator streamlines the process of creating vector illustrations and layouts that are print and scale-ready. Moreover, the Image Trace function has enabled me make the most of the small size images we have licenced for curricular use and provide each of our departments with the highest quality print-ready files possible. Rather than having to build a massive file in a non-vector programme and then exporting it to the suitable format, I can work with text and logos for our ministry regions and special events in a single file that can scale across many print media, from big posters to t-shirts to videos.

Cons

Today, working together is essential. And although Illustrator does include collaboration features, attempting to add real-time collaboration would be missing the purpose. Many designers rely on Adobe's Illustrator, making this enhancement crucial. If you don't need the other components of Adobe's suite, buying Photoshop alone will wind up costing you a fair bit of money.

Luciano A.

Photography, 1-10 employees

Essencial pra qualquer designer

sempre foi o software que usei na criação dos meus trabalhos, e nunca tive grandes dificuldades.

Pros

Recursos avançados de edição e criação Visual moderno e bem organizado Compatibilidade com outros softwares

Cons

Falta uma melhor confiabilidade na leitura de arquivos feitos em outros softwares similares

Showing original review in Portuguese. See translation

SH

Sabina H.

Design, self-employed

I am using illustrator every day and I love it

Basically all my work happens in illustrator

Pros

Usability and ux is really friendly even when new versions come out it is totally usable without the need to learn lots of new features

Cons

I am not okay with textures and putting them in illustrations somehow it never works as I imagined

Carolina C.

Logistics and Supply Chain, 1,001-5,000 employees

The best program for creating vector files and images

At first I used Photoshop for all types of images, but with some I had resolution problems, then for certain types of designs, such as logos, I switched to Illustrator and it was a real success.

Pros

The best thing about this program is that it adapts to the needs of your design, either logos, elements for web pages, brochures, magazines ... and above there are no problems of resolution to also change the sizes, as it works with vectors.

Cons

The only drawback is that you need a computer with a powerful graphic card to make very complex designs.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Illustrator el software para editar con vectores y punto!

Un software actualizado apra mac de diseño que se pueda usar para muchas aplicaciones impresas o medios digitales

Pros

Las funciones de mesas de trabajo ayuda a manejar más articulos por separado y organizarse mejor

Cons

Exportación y compatibilidad con corel Draw

Vielka A.

Pharmaceuticals, 201-500 employees

Adobe Ilustrator aun puede mejorar

Tienen muchas cosas por mejorar, solo duré dos semanas con la aplicación porque siempre había algo nuevo que me complicaba su utilización.

Pros

Solo me gusta la facilidad que puedes tener en una computadora como en una tablet o una tableta gráfica.

Cons

Muchas cosas tienen de poder arreglar. Sin embargo, las principales son la prueba gratis, las herramientas pueden ser muy complicadas a menos que leas las largas (muy largas) instrucciones. Y que no se te olvide descargar el paquete de Adobe de más de 500 MB, porque no sirve de nada entonces tenerlo.

Favio R.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Awesome software for graphic design development

I am overall really satisfied with Illustrator and with the results I have gotten when designing the arts for this company.

Pros

I love how complete Adobe Illustrator is. I've been using it for some years and since the first time it has been really easy to learn. I came from Corel Draw which was also good but I find Illustrator more intuitive, easy to use and also more compatible with 3rd party programs such as AutoCAD

Cons

The only thint I did not like about Illustrator is the lack of universal hotkeys and shortcuts. At least in my usage I have been unable to find how to use them.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Best of its kind

Illustrator has been nothing but amazing whenever I have used it. Though it does slow down my system a lot since I have lower specs, it does the job just fine. High price can be accounted for by the unlimited creative scope Illustrator provides, which the alternatives are yet to touch.

Pros

Illustrator is simple a magical software. Rich in features and functionalities, it provides infinite opportunities for designers to create any sort of design. The interface is intuitive, the toolset is impressive, and the number of tutorials you can refer to whenever you are stuck with your design makes it a top-choice for every designer. I have used it for vector designing and web design. I find it much easier to create webpage designs on Illustrator than other software because of the limitless customization options it proivides. Also, the choices for format conversion, and the unlimited library of free resources including icons, templates and other ai files that can be downloaded in a jiffy and added to your project, makes it very simple to create a design on the go.

Cons

The learning curve is steep. As a self-taught designer who was only familiar with Photoshop, learning Illustrator was a pain because both of them are nothing alike. Of course, the tutorials help, but one cannot hope to create a design simply based on tutorials because all the tools and functionalities take a bit of time to get used to. Pricing would be another concern, especially for freelancers and part-time designers, since many of us don't want the whole Creative Suite and are just looking for a software to whip up a quick design, which many other alternatives provide for free.

Ernesto Alfonso O.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

No podrás concebir diseñar sin esta herramienta

Simplemente imprescindible, no se concibe diseñar sin el.

Pros

Es muy potente, no existe algo que no pueda ser diseñado en este software, desde diseños simples y vectores sencillos hasta formas e ilustraciones muy complejas. Incluye diseño 3D y texturas. Una vez que entiendes la lógica operativa del software podrás crear lo que sea.

Cons

Necesitas muchas horas de practica y capacitación para el dominio de la aplicación

HF

Hayden F.

Media Production, self-employed

It's the industry standard, so let's get with it.

I've been working with Adobe Illustrator since 2004, and am very familiar and comfortable with the software and how it integrates with After Effects, which is the software that I use the most. Adobe keeps on implementing new features and makes you accustomed on not needing to leave the Adobe platform to complete design and media tasks, which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you work and collaborate. I like to use Illustrator, but been using Affinity Designer and Corel Draw on some projects in order to get some tasks done. I would love to see Adobe going back on letting people purchase the software and use a model closer to Affinity these days. Overall you will be almost required to work with Illustrator if you want to fit into the professional design world.

Pros

Very powerful software for design design and vector construction. works seemly with other Adobe products

Cons

It's a subscription based service, so be ready to open your wallet. It can crash, but it has a good auto save feature.

Rob H.

Design, self-employed

Illustrator's power is unmatched.

Overall Illustrator has been a critical part of my business. Without it there are many tasks that I would not be able to accomplish. Most larger agencies use it and share files in Illustrator's format so it's critical that I can open and work in those files without having to ask them to convert them and risk losing subtle design elements or flexibility.

Pros

Illustrator just keeps getting more powerful and more capable. It's so ubiquitous that if you don't use it you'll have a harder time collaborating with agencies across the planet as you produce art. There is practically nothing you can't do with it in terms of creating vector and hand drawn artwork and graphics.

Cons

Some of the interface handles are too small and it's difficult to grab them. I'd like to be able to make them any size I want. I use high resolution monitors and some elements are just tiny, no matter how good your eyes are. Other then that, I can't really find anything to be critical about. As with all software, there are functions that you'd probably implement differently if you were the developer, but it does everything I need and then some.

IM

Ivan M.

Printing, 11-50 employees

Illustrator allow us to process our clients demand so much faster.

I wish I learned Illustrator sooner, however, it is never too late. It has helped us so much in our company. Now we work 300% faster and take even more projects.

Pros

Apart from being an excellent design software, it is a most compatible software with many files extensions. It allows us to read and manipulate our client demands in excellent speed and accuracy.

Cons

There are so many things you can do in Illustrator I only wish there could be more, things like automatic nesting objects or to improve the simplify path tool.

Ryan H.

Graphic Design, 11-50 employees

Boost Your Skills as a Designer with Adobe Illustrator

Adobe Illustrator is a key element of our whole revenue. It has helped us run our business. We work in the capacity of a professional and high-end design agency and we simply can not function without Adobe Illustrator. And if I'm being honest, our experience with Adobe Illustrator has been remarkable. We love to use it and help many businesses with their design and branding needs.

Pros

I give 8 out of 10 ratings to Adobe Illustrator as my favorite vector-based design program. At Fullstop, we provide professional graphic design services and work on complex illustrations, infographics, flyers, different types of packaging, brochures, and icons. We've been able to do all these things with the help of Adobe Illustrator mostly. It allows to create, draw, and combine different shapes in...

Cons

You need to have some knowledge of the design tools and technique before using Adobe Illustrator. It can be difficult for beginners as there are so many tools. You need to be patient while learning how to use it professionally. You can't work with Illustrator unless you have a big screen. Likewise, it requires a lot of storage space and it is costly too.

AG

Adam G.

Computer Software, self-employed

Go to software for illustration, icon design, and vector graphics

Pros

From my experience Illustrators path workflow and functionality is superior to other vector software out there. If I was going to stray from Illustrator as my go to vector software the competition would need to beat Illustrator in that feature space. Illustrator allows you to have advance control and accuracy with paths, grids, guides, snap to guide, etc. Also, exporting quality SVGs is very important and the competition doesn't measure up in that space from what I have seen.

Cons

Some updates on how Illustrator handles smart guides and snap-to-pixel has some flaws. It seamed like I had better accuracy in previous versions of Illustrator. No one likes to have their paths splitting pixels or to have to fix that on a regular basis. Some times I don't have an issues while other times new path shapes start on 0.5 pixels when creating them.

MD

Margaret D.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Illustrator, will illustrate your point

I really like illustrator because it allows me so much flexibility in saving my files with many well known and used formats industry wide. I like their templates for digital media. Over all I really like their product. Although I feel it is a bit on the pricey side I think there is still value for my money.

Pros

I like that whatever is in my imagination can be transferred to the format I require. Among other tasks I am the Brand Administrator for our company. I have to make sure that wherever we market our brand looks great. Our brand shows up in many places and on many platforms digital and paper. Illustrator makes is possible to integrate anywhere I need to be.

Cons

Every time there is a new release of software there are some major changes in where things are. Where my regularly used tools are often change or seem to disappear. They have started video tutorials to help me catch up but it seems I am constantly having to re learn techniques I already learned once.

ZM

Zandrich M.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Adobe Illustrator: A Proven Formula

Illustrator was my first foray into the world of computer-aided design and digital art; my first license was provided as part of my Multimedia Design studies just shy of a decade ago - and I've not once considered looking back. Initially, I found the interface somewhat intimidating - the workspace was dotted with a plethora of icons representing tools I never knew existed - but once I started exploring,...

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is very, very expansive; Adobe managed to marry the tried-and-trusted tools and processes of the more well-known Photoshop, with the logic and functionality of mundane CAD suites - elegantly. Adobe Illustrator has, for that reason, been a mainstay within my design workflow, and beyond, for almost a decade. One of its strongest features (often overlooked), is the ability to utilize...

Cons

Although Adobe Illustrator has come very far since I was first introduced to the CS5 release, it cannot be picked up by someone to be mastered in one work day - this in itself is not a weakness - Adobe Illustrator is, and always has been, software intended to enhance the abilities of someone familiar with computer-aided design suites.

JG

John G.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

A great product that has not adapted to the times.

For decades, Adobe Illustrator served me well. In the beginning, it was the best. But Corel Draw eventually eclipsed it in features and ease-of-use. But as the standard that I had learned to use well and had grown with, I still gravitated to AI, for most projects. But two things happened almost simultaneously that moved me away from AI. First, Adobe went exclusively to a subscription model, meaning...

Pros

Adobe Illustrator was the standard for years, before there was competition in this market. Then, even after Corel Draw came along, which was a better (5-star) product, Adobe managed to remain the standard, by continuing to be at least a very good product (4-star). It seems that being the standard means you don't have to be the best, but you must be very good and Illustrator was just that - very good.

Cons

Several features in Adobe Illustrator were poorly implemented. Though there were more than a few such issues, one that comes to mind is the ease of placing an image within another object, when using Corel Draw, as compared to the convoluted steps to do the same thing in AI. But Adobe Illustrator lost me as a user, when Adobe went to a subscription base. It's not an issue of money. I have been willing...

JB

Josh B.

Design, 5,001-10,000 employees

Review of Adobe illustrator

The business problems I am solving with Adobe Illustrator are the ability to design for both digital assets as well as large format trade show collateral and I have benefitted from the seamless integration with other design tools.

Pros

Feature that I found to be most impactful is the seamless compatibility with the other design products that our large design team uses. I would rate the ease of use of this product as easy to use however there is a learning curve to make use of advanced or new features that are routinely added. The integration into existing business processes was totally seamless.

Cons

The only thing that could be improved is sometimes when creating pixel accurate web asset mockups you need to be mindful of actual pixel resolution vs artboard size. The process that was difficult to use was when saving back to a legacy format some complexity of file can be lost however that is to be expected of any software. The integration into existing business processes was not difficult because it is conveniently offered as part of our teams Creative Suite package.

MB

Matt B.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Top of the line for vector graphics

Allows to create print-ready files through Image Trace to vectorize them, the ability to utilize proper files when working with print companies for in-house orders.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator makes vector graphics and designing for scalable/print an ease. Specifically, this product has helped me to take the limited size graphics we have licensed from curriculum use and using the Image Trace feature ensure I am able to resource our areas with the best looking print-ready files that they need. When working with text and logos for our ministry areas and special events, to be able to create where I can scale across multiple print mediums: from large sized banners, to t-shirts to video, allowing to create one file that can export to the correct format is beneficial and ease of use versus creating a mammoth file in a non-vector application.

Cons

Illustrator is so vast in its functionality it took me a bit to get the handle on things - I am grateful for their support articles when there are areas and functions I am still learning. There is a slightly high learning-curve when you want to move beyond the basics.

CS

Christopher S.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Premium tool that for digital file creation

My overall experience with Adobe Illustrator has been overwhelmingly positive. I use the software every day for the commercial branch of my software business. It has made designing prototype and digital files very easy. Now I can truly concentrate on the design rather than the added burden of slow and inefficient software tools.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the large number of features and ease of use. I tried to make due with freeware for a while, but I often ran into the freeware lacking the features I needed. Adobe illustrator makes creating SVG's, PNG's, and other digital files easy.

Cons

What I liked least is the pricing model. The only way to get adobe illustrator is with a subscription. While it's great for staying up to date, the option to own a version of the software would be great. Unfortunately this seems to be the new way that software s being sold , so I can't really call it a deal breaker.

CH

Cleo H.

Design, 1-10 employees

From Logos to House Plans

I was working at Adobe at the time Illustrator was being created and have used it continuously over the years. I use it to create overlays on maps for zoning projects, I have done detailed plans for a house that I built, I always use it for logos, posters, most projects where I want a lot of flexibility with laying things out.

Pros

The ability to create and control outline shapes. The fact that it has been in existence since the 80s and probably isn't going anywhere makes it worth learning. The things that do change or get added are mostly beneficial and logical additions. Tools like Pathfinder really work well. Masking works well once you get the gist of it. The pen tool is especially great if you know how bezier curves behave. I think they have added a lot of functionality over the years that I'm not even aware of since I never need it to do more.

Cons

There are a few nits and lice that have always bothered me but I honestly can't say that they don't have workarounds that I just haven't learned about. I wish there were a fast way to create an often used color palette. I end up making little squares on the page with the colors I want and using the dropper to grab them. The artboard is a little cumbersome until you get the hang of it. I often need...

Souhil S.

The Best Vector Based Design Software

I use Illustrator daily to create cool vector designs because I need the highest resolution to print them on a lot of things and with Illustrator I really get the things done and I'm always happy with the results. I think Adobe Illustrator is the best Vector and Design software in the market right now and after using it for many years I never had any problems and I always get the work done. Adobe is an amazing company, and I'm sure they will keep improving this software and adding some useful tools and features.

Pros

It's very easy to use, and you can create anything from scratch, you need just some designing or drawing knowledge, and you are good to go. It comes with a lot of useful design tools, filters, and effects...etc. I can create anything using Adobe Illustrator and the sky is the limit. I can also, use it to create topography designs for many things (shirts, wall art, business cards, text)...etc. I like...

Cons

I would love to see the crop tool in Illustrator like in Photoshop. They can add some Photoshop tools to Illustrator for example "remove background" tool. But, after all, they are doing a great job and always I get a new version I really feel the change they made to the program.