Adobe Illustrator

Industry-standard vector graphics editor

Adobe Illustrator Reviews

Pros

Many designers work with Adobe products and there is a reason, they are responsive and great at what they do. Illustrator will allow your designer to create amazing designs that can scale so easily.

James B.

Illustraror is the most capable graphic design software out there. It's great for simple graphics like logos but can also be used to create beautiful complex artwork.

Tijana G.

The pros of this product is that it is extremely great for creating projects, especially when using a MAC. I highly recommend Apple products as it works best for designing.

Heather H.

Cons

The bummer about Adobe is that you can no longer purchase the software as a one-off. Now it’s a subscription that you have to pay monthly or yearly and the fees are quite hefty.

Abigail H.

I think most of the frustration comes with user error and not doing enough research on the current subject.

Megan A.

On rare occasions, the app will stall or close down altogether. This could be a flaw with either the application itself or the system I'm using it on.

Wade T.

6,086

1,524

7,757 reviews

It's the Industry Standard for Vector Graphics and Design - Takes Time to Learn

Transcript

Vincent: Hi, my name is Vincent. I'm a web designer in the education industry, and I give Adobe Illustrator...

My Favorite program

Transcript

Lily R.: Hi, I'm Lily. I'm a freelance graphic designer, and I give Adobe Illustrator a five out of five...

Illustrator - the standard for graphic design

Overall my experience has been great. I definitely recommend AI if you are serious about design. It can handle any area of design and is a workhorse of a program - it is very flexible. But with great flexibility, comes great complexity. So, therefore, even though I have a pretty good understanding of how to use Illustrator, there's still more for me to learn after many years. Not to mention they always add new features. And I still have to take some time to creatively express exactly what I envision. For this reason, I also use Affinity Designer on my Mac, alongside illustrator. The reason is, Affinity Designer is much more simple and certain tasks are quicker with Affinity. However, anytime I need to do more complex stuff, such

Pros

The nice thing about Adobe Illustrator is you can do anything you want, as far as manipulating graphics and creating any digital artwork or illustration imaginable. It's so versatile in what you can do, that it also can seem very complex to the novice. But if you stick with it and use it consistently or take some tutorials, once you learn the ins and outs of Adobe Illustrator, you begin to realize...

Cons

The biggest con I can think of is the learning curve. When first starting to use Adobe Illustrator is it can seem very complex. So when you're new, is a pretty big learning curve. With that said, I still am learning after 5+ years. For this reason, I recommend taking some tutorials or classes to understand what illustrator is capable of and for learning what every tool does. Taking tutorials also...

Go to software for illustration, icon design, and vector graphics

Pros

From my experience Illustrators path workflow and functionality is superior to other vector software out there. If I was going to stray from Illustrator as my go to vector software the competition would need to beat Illustrator in that feature space. Illustrator allows you to have advance control and accuracy with paths, grids, guides, snap to guide, etc. Also, exporting quality SVGs is very important and the competition doesn't measure up in that space from what I have seen.

Cons

Some updates on how Illustrator handles smart guides and snap-to-pixel has some flaws. It seamed like I had better accuracy in previous versions of Illustrator. No one likes to have their paths splitting pixels or to have to fix that on a regular basis. Some times I don't have an issues while other times new path shapes start on 0.5 pixels when creating them.

The Core of the apple

Building logos for myself and customers, Creating various types of art.

Pros

This is a beautifully put together piece of software with various features and applications. If you are a designer animator or even just a hobbyist. You can make anything graphic wise and paint as realistically a real brush!! Ai is a must-have for any serious designer

Cons

It can be a little hard to master although learning it is fun and rewarding in many ways. There are bugs and certain system errors but over its great

more usefull tool on design!

for me is very practical and the experience for me always have been good.

Pros

I work the most of my projects in adobe illustrator, it provides all the tools that I need for my designs and the quality is huge because when I export my work to social media the quality is preserved .

Cons

maybe improve the default brushes or maybe have the option to bought them in a quick and easy way.

The Best Tool For Every Graphical Needs

Everyone recommends Illustrator. I also started using this because one of my friends recommended this. I knew that this is professional-grade software. However, I was a bit scared about the usability. It's because I am just a content creator and marketer. Not a professional graphic designer. I need a tool that will help me create graphics quickly and with ease. Illustrator is just like that. This...

Pros

There are a lot of features in this amazing piece of software. However, I don't have to use all of them. I just use basic features like editing a free to use vector file from the internet. Sometimes, I design covers and banners for my online businesses. Illustrator handles these very well. I liked Adobe's consistent design language in all of its software including Illustrator. One I learned illustrator and now all other Adobe software seems easy to me. Because I got familiar with their user interface. I like the power of its vector design feature. It helps me to design a graphic that doesn't rely on pixels and can be scaled to any size. This is the coolest feature of Adobe Illustrator. Custom fonts and different types of brushes are also great for creating modern and complex designs.

Cons

I don't hate anything about this software. However, the software is a bit heavy. I don't need all the features of Illustrator. This is why I need a lightweight PC version of it with the basic features. If the developer makes something like this it will be amazing. Another thing is the crashing problem. Sometimes it crashes on my old low powered laptop and this is frustrating.

Love it!

I love it! I use it for fun projects, for work, and for consulting. It has so many options and shortcuts, and I'm always learning something new within it. It's made my work for personal use, small businesses, and large companies possible and easy.

Pros

Illustrator is my favorite of the Adobe products! I am a graphic designer so I use it for everything - logos, flyers, apparel design, branding guides, everything! It's easily customizable to your tool bar wants, and Adobe has a million of great tutorials to learn new things.

Cons

The price is pretty high. I get the educator discount, so that really helps, but when I was out of work it was pricey to keep the subscription going, even though I needed it in case I got an interview or contract gig.

Recommend for any user from beginner to advanced

I've been using Adobe Illustrator since CS6 to recent CC2020. Also I have used similar software in the past but with Adobe I think it's much better and easier to work with. And with updates Adobe makes the Illustrator much better providing the new tools designers required.

Pros

I think what I like most is with the time Adobe was able to modify Illustrator into what the users needed with many new and updated facilities such as freeform gradient, Image trace and smooth tool. Also being able to use the same files through any adobe software software is another good option. Finally adobe stock and adobe fonts are quite good features I like a lot.

Cons

I think if Adobe could improve their OpenGL support that would be good because Illustrator does not support some machines. Also I think it's better if Adobe could extend the basic image manipulation support a bit.

Adobe Illustrator

At first it was hard, but after a while got the hang of it. Always have it open ready for another project.

Pros

Amazing workspace, a lot of great tools and very easy to use

Cons

Not enough pre installed fonts Thats about it everything else is perfect.

Graphical Savior

We use Adobe Illustrator to create visual elements for our software, like icons, logos etc. and in minor way to make wireframes and diagrams of processes.

Pros

There is a great community around this software which is actually the main point to focus when you are looking for a new tool.

Cons

The learning curve is larger than I expect, another con is the use of CPU and memory.

Best Vector based software

Pros

The flexibility of the utilization of tools once you know the function of each tool. Allover the youtube there are several tutorials that you could use to learn how to use these tools. Moreover using the adobe cloud you could save your libraries and styles to use them on several computers.

Cons

The monthly subscription is a little bit expensive.

Illustrator, will illustrate your point

I really like illustrator because it allows me so much flexibility in saving my files with many well known and used formats industry wide. I like their templates for digital media. Over all I really like their product. Although I feel it is a bit on the pricey side I think there is still value for my money.

Pros

I like that whatever is in my imagination can be transferred to the format I require. Among other tasks I am the Brand Administrator for our company. I have to make sure that wherever we market our brand looks great. Our brand shows up in many places and on many platforms digital and paper. Illustrator makes is possible to integrate anywhere I need to be.

Cons

Every time there is a new release of software there are some major changes in where things are. Where my regularly used tools are often change or seem to disappear. They have started video tutorials to help me catch up but it seems I am constantly having to re learn techniques I already learned once.

Adobe Illustrator: A Proven Formula

Illustrator was my first foray into the world of computer-aided design and digital art; my first license was provided as part of my Multimedia Design studies just shy of a decade ago - and I've not once considered looking back. Initially, I found the interface somewhat intimidating - the workspace was dotted with a plethora of icons representing tools I never knew existed - but once I started exploring,...

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is very, very expansive; Adobe managed to marry the tried-and-trusted tools and processes of the more well-known Photoshop, with the logic and functionality of mundane CAD suites - elegantly. Adobe Illustrator has, for that reason, been a mainstay within my design workflow, and beyond, for almost a decade. One of its strongest features (often overlooked), is the ability to utilize...

Cons

Although Adobe Illustrator has come very far since I was first introduced to the CS5 release, it cannot be picked up by someone to be mastered in one work day - this in itself is not a weakness - Adobe Illustrator is, and always has been, software intended to enhance the abilities of someone familiar with computer-aided design suites.

A great product that has not adapted to the times.

For decades, Adobe Illustrator served me well. In the beginning, it was the best. But Corel Draw eventually eclipsed it in features and ease-of-use. But as the standard that I had learned to use well and had grown with, I still gravitated to AI, for most projects. But two things happened almost simultaneously that moved me away from AI. First, Adobe went exclusively to a subscription model, meaning...

Pros

Adobe Illustrator was the standard for years, before there was competition in this market. Then, even after Corel Draw came along, which was a better (5-star) product, Adobe managed to remain the standard, by continuing to be at least a very good product (4-star). It seems that being the standard means you don't have to be the best, but you must be very good and Illustrator was just that - very good.

Cons

Several features in Adobe Illustrator were poorly implemented. Though there were more than a few such issues, one that comes to mind is the ease of placing an image within another object, when using Corel Draw, as compared to the convoluted steps to do the same thing in AI. But Adobe Illustrator lost me as a user, when Adobe went to a subscription base. It's not an issue of money. I have been willing...

Review of Adobe illustrator

The business problems I am solving with Adobe Illustrator are the ability to design for both digital assets as well as large format trade show collateral and I have benefitted from the seamless integration with other design tools.

Pros

Feature that I found to be most impactful is the seamless compatibility with the other design products that our large design team uses. I would rate the ease of use of this product as easy to use however there is a learning curve to make use of advanced or new features that are routinely added. The integration into existing business processes was totally seamless.

Cons

The only thing that could be improved is sometimes when creating pixel accurate web asset mockups you need to be mindful of actual pixel resolution vs artboard size. The process that was difficult to use was when saving back to a legacy format some complexity of file can be lost however that is to be expected of any software. The integration into existing business processes was not difficult because it is conveniently offered as part of our teams Creative Suite package.

Top of the line for vector graphics

Allows to create print-ready files through Image Trace to vectorize them, the ability to utilize proper files when working with print companies for in-house orders.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator makes vector graphics and designing for scalable/print an ease. Specifically, this product has helped me to take the limited size graphics we have licensed from curriculum use and using the Image Trace feature ensure I am able to resource our areas with the best looking print-ready files that they need. When working with text and logos for our ministry areas and special events, to be able to create where I can scale across multiple print mediums: from large sized banners, to t-shirts to video, allowing to create one file that can export to the correct format is beneficial and ease of use versus creating a mammoth file in a non-vector application.

Cons

Illustrator is so vast in its functionality it took me a bit to get the handle on things - I am grateful for their support articles when there are areas and functions I am still learning. There is a slightly high learning-curve when you want to move beyond the basics.

Premium tool that for digital file creation

My overall experience with Adobe Illustrator has been overwhelmingly positive. I use the software every day for the commercial branch of my software business. It has made designing prototype and digital files very easy. Now I can truly concentrate on the design rather than the added burden of slow and inefficient software tools.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the large number of features and ease of use. I tried to make due with freeware for a while, but I often ran into the freeware lacking the features I needed. Adobe illustrator makes creating SVG's, PNG's, and other digital files easy.

Cons

What I liked least is the pricing model. The only way to get adobe illustrator is with a subscription. While it's great for staying up to date, the option to own a version of the software would be great. Unfortunately this seems to be the new way that software s being sold , so I can't really call it a deal breaker.

From Logos to House Plans

I was working at Adobe at the time Illustrator was being created and have used it continuously over the years. I use it to create overlays on maps for zoning projects, I have done detailed plans for a house that I built, I always use it for logos, posters, most projects where I want a lot of flexibility with laying things out.

Pros

The ability to create and control outline shapes. The fact that it has been in existence since the 80s and probably isn't going anywhere makes it worth learning. The things that do change or get added are mostly beneficial and logical additions. Tools like Pathfinder really work well. Masking works well once you get the gist of it. The pen tool is especially great if you know how bezier curves behave. I think they have added a lot of functionality over the years that I'm not even aware of since I never need it to do more.

Cons

There are a few nits and lice that have always bothered me but I honestly can't say that they don't have workarounds that I just haven't learned about. I wish there were a fast way to create an often used color palette. I end up making little squares on the page with the colors I want and using the dropper to grab them. The artboard is a little cumbersome until you get the hang of it. I often need...

The Best Vector Based Design Software

I use Illustrator daily to create cool vector designs because I need the highest resolution to print them on a lot of things and with Illustrator I really get the things done and I'm always happy with the results. I think Adobe Illustrator is the best Vector and Design software in the market right now and after using it for many years I never had any problems and I always get the work done. Adobe is an amazing company, and I'm sure they will keep improving this software and adding some useful tools and features.

Pros

It's very easy to use, and you can create anything from scratch, you need just some designing or drawing knowledge, and you are good to go. It comes with a lot of useful design tools, filters, and effects...etc. I can create anything using Adobe Illustrator and the sky is the limit. I can also, use it to create topography designs for many things (shirts, wall art, business cards, text)...etc. I like...

Cons

I would love to see the crop tool in Illustrator like in Photoshop. They can add some Photoshop tools to Illustrator for example "remove background" tool. But, after all, they are doing a great job and always I get a new version I really feel the change they made to the program.

The best vector based program that I used

I use Adobe Illustrator presently to make and plan out online media content, print media, and web architecture. I am the main client, yet I am the one that the organization goes to with questions, demands, and so forth for ensuring that our substance is new, current, and present day looking.

Pros

As a designer you have loads of alternatives to Illustrator for creating 2D designs. But I can say for sure, that Illustrator is the easiest and best tool to use, it is very easy to get started and learn. Dealing with .pdf records and different sorts of picture documents is really great. I see this accommodating when I'm chipping away at various distinctive document types, so similarity isn't typically an issue for me with Illustrator. Illustrator offers very great similarity among itself and other Adobe programs, so I've discovered that to be an extraordinary thing when working inside the Adobe Suite.

Cons

It feels like Adobe items are made totally separately. Despite the fact that there are incredible preferences to utilizing these applications couple. They don't share console alternate ways, and there are different things that work one route in one program, yet work diversely in Illustrator. Illustrator is mind boggling and has a staggeringly steep expectation to absorb information. I've been utilizing it throughout the previous 8 years or thereabouts, and I feel I've just started to expose what's underneath. Adobe does an OK occupation of giving instructional exercises, yet you need to search for them on the web, and still, at the end of the day, you may discover better instructional exercises on YouTube.

The most powerful vector art program there is.

I'd say my overall experience is very much love/hate. When I need it Adobe Illistrator is my knight in shininy amror, but throughout the general work grind it's too full of itself to be useful.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is easily the most powerful and easily extenisable vector art program available. Because of that when nothing else works you can usually always count on Adobe Illustrator to get the job done.

Cons

Due to the rather extmre learning cuve and often clunky interface compared to it's top compeitors for most general light weight tasks Adobe Illustrator is my last choice. Despite having years of experience with it the speed and ease that general daily tasks can be done in other vecotor applications is some times stunning.

A powerful suite for Web Designers

After growing up with GIMP as my original mainstay when learning web design, I had the chance to use Illustrator at an internship around a decade ago. From there forwards, it's been my go to for designing SVG logo/image sets purely through the ease to export the SVGs for cross platform/device use.

Pros

As a full stack web developer, the tools that illustrator offer for creating Scalable Vector Graphics is unparalleled. With the importance of creating media that 'travels' well between both mobile and desktop environments, you'll be hard pressed to an offering that fits all circumstances with the ease that Illustrator offers. The joy of exporting your SVGs so simply to fit wherever you need them has been honed (or perhaps even owned) by years of Adobe's feature rich development and progressive enhancement. From Macromedia Shockwave with Flash forwarding to HTML 5 adoption, Adobe Illustrator has been at the forefront of web media design.

Cons

As with any design tool, there's always a learning curve. Though, that be said, with the sheer amount of online tutorials and videos, its truly quite hard to find fault with Adobe Illustrator... Once you've got the basics, the sky truly is the limit.... From moving from GIMP (a great free choice), to Illustrator, I'd definitely recommend the jump across the the Adobe camp.

Industry-standard Vectoring Software

For the experienced user, Adobe Illustrator is a seamless experience. Almost everything that you need is readily available. The community a quite large and the online resources are endless. There are other alternatives such as CorelDraw and Inkscape, but the workflow UI resources and support you get with Illustrator just makes is not worth to consider other apps.

Pros

Compatibility is the keyword here. Most (if not all) decent design agencies, boutiques, in-house teams, press/printers and even freelancers use Adobe Creative Cloud. If your team is doing serious design work, you'll never go wrong purchasing Adobe Illustrator (along with the rest of the suite). And now that it is available on a SaaS or subscription-based model, Adobe ensures that you get the most recent updated version of the software as long as you/your team is under one of their plans. This is actually a great thing when you consider that everybody else using the software are also using the same version that you have.

Cons

The subscription-based model is not for everyone. Some companies would prefer to have perpetual license for software purchases. This is os it always have been with the Adobe Creative Suite until CS6. When they moved from perpetual licenses to 'Cloud-based' subscription model a lot of the smaller agencies, boutiques and freelancers suddenly found it hard to have access to legitimate Adobe Creative software such as the Illustrator. A lot of users think that the burden of paying $20+ (single app) to $50+ (for the whole suite) per month is a little bit too expensive.

Excellent Design Software

My overall experience is awesome, because I wil stil use it other than other creative programs. It has a great edge over others because you can create any type of art right from scratch.

Pros

I like teh fact that as a designer, i can create a multitude of art work with Adobe illustrator, ranging from video games, brand logos and promotional materials. I like it because i can also use it for designs & topography such as business cards, clothing, billboards, artistic & stylistic illustrations. It is integrated with Adobe creative cloud which makes it easier for sharing my art projects and...

Cons

It takes a while to load each time I try to open up the application. It also slows down other programs on my computer becuase its a massive program, especially when I have both Illustrator & Photoshop running at the time. Sometimes the main colour paletes won't show in the upper taskbar which can be a pain when you have to figure out how to get it, especially for newbies. The hotkeys are weird compared...

Fast and clear

I am currently using it from past 6 months and it has given me the best experience. It has also helped me to unlock new potential I had but could not discover it. My skills got better in terms of logo design and banner design which were so subtle and basic before I started using the Illustrator. I would pay the price to use this software if it comes to logo design, banner making and vector art - because of the cool elements of it. I'm fascinated by the sharp clear clarity on the vector art produced by this software. Wow!

Pros

I love the way art is manipulated into vector graphics because it can be infinitely enlarged and there is unlimited flexibility to make banners, logos, brochures, mock-ups, visiting cards to name a few out of thousands to millions. These allow Adobe Illustrator to be helpful for the vector art, hand-drawn paints, illustrations. I love the way the software is built - let me give an example - if I...

Cons

It is not like Adobe Photoshop which allows us to edit raster images to endless possibilities. It is harder for any beginner unless he/she knows the basics of Photoshop. One needs to understand the basics of graphics design to get hold of this software. The options are bit tough to understand and tools needs deeper understanding of graphic design. I did not like the idea of storing the images, it is hard for any beginner to choose from several options with sub-options. Swatch panel colours gets disappeared and I should go to settings to arrange them back. Cannot trace an image properly using the artificial intelligence inside Illustrator.

Illustrator, a connection to the past. But what does the future hold?

Adobe Illustrator scores above average, much more because of its solid foundation than current features. It is a program that, in a way, has stopped in time. (I still expect compatibility improvements) It is a program that you must have, or at least give it a try. There are many possibilities, if your creativity allows it. If you are a design professional or student, you should give preference to AI.

Pros

Writing about Illustrator is very passionate. One of the most important Pros of the program is its solid foundation, built over decades. Yes! Decades. Therefore, the main resources of the illustration industry are here. Shapes, Fills, lines, vectors, compositions. Ease of basic understanding of features. Learning curve, of the basic resources is fast. Numerous editing possibilities (the limit is your creation) high degree of SVG compatibility. These are, for me, the best reasons to use AI since 2011.

Cons

Against the grain, AI presents a high consumption of computer resources. RAM, VRAM, Processor, these are abundantly consumed by the program. The more you have, the more it will consume. With the exception of the SVG format, any non-native format will have serious compatibility problems, causing constant breaks. The learning curve for advanced items is complex and requires more effort than other programs in the same category. However, in my opinion, the X of the question is: Is Adobe Illustrator the program of the future for vectors? or was he stuck in time and his Status Quo?