Kandji Logo
Kandji

Apple device management (MDM) for macOS, iOS, iPadOS, tvOS

visit website

Kandji Reviews

4.9

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.46/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

Our relationship with Kandji is great. We are excited to keep working with them into the era of Big Sur and Apple Silicon Macs.
We love everything from internal management all the way to UI and how Kandji is so appealing and easy for non-technical users.
The software continues to impress and serve us well on a daily basis, and the support teams have always been there if we had any issues. Awesome work, can't wait to see where else Kandji goes.
At times, configuration of the blueprints can be confusing.
It's a shame Kandji didn't quite align with our SSO requirements.
There are definitely some features missing that I used in JAMF, but nothing that Kandji doesn't have a solution for one way or another.

Jason G.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

The best Mac management solution

I have a fleet of 35 Macs used by developers, designers, QA and administrative staff at our custom software development company. My users are very savvy and self-supporting, but we needed to be able to certify to our clients that our endpoints were secure: storage encryption enabled, software up-to-date, and common vectors for attacks closed up. Kandji lets me enforce and monitor those things and many other best practices that save us from downtime, which costs billable hours. Their support has been phenomenal, even going so far as to give me recommendations when I ask about their experiences with antivirus, Wi-Fi management, and the like.

Pros

I love their common-sense approach to everything. Their solutions feel less hacky than other providers I tried and they seem to be very in-tune with Apple. They clearly spent a decade or more managing Macs the hard way so they know how to make it easy for me, an operations person who wears many hats.

Cons

I just have one feature request, and that's for Blueprints to be able to inherit from one another. Right now all you can do is copy. They're considering implementing it, which I imagine isn't trivial.

MD

Manuela D.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Kandji - Making Mac Device Management Easy!

I've had a really amazing experience. I actually reached out to Kandji about 6 months before I purchased the product as I was building the business case and my Sales Support Member was checking in with in the right increments, when I finally did pull the trigger he didn't even mention how long it took me to purchase (I also 90% of the time responded to his emails and updated him on whats going on)....

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and understand. To make changes is a breeze and their support team is TOP NOTCH. I've always gotten quick, personable & knowledgeable support. I like that the software is similar in how you would use as Mac - very intuitive and the interface is so beautifully simplistic.

Cons

There isn't anything that really bothers me. I've had some challenges for sure, but when I reach out to support they always find the answer, even if they don't have the answer in the chat they get back to me via email in a reasonable amount of time based on the urgency of the issue.

CG

Chris G.

Investment Management, 501-1,000 employees

Kandji

Pros

Like the automatic patching features, but the ability to enforce updates sooner, such as immediately when it comes to security patches would be great.

Cons

Cannot deploy specific software for 1-10 users without having to create an entire new blueprint and this can get out of control very quickly.

MP

Matthew P.

Biotechnology, 51-200 employees

Kandji over other Apple MDM's; a definite win

We moved from Cisco Meraki to this product after evaluating all items on the market and found the support, ease of use and technical expertise far superior. We are constantly making improvements to our zero touch environment as well as protecting assets we currently own.

Pros

Support, granularity of blueprints and the ability to add software as we see fit

Cons

Cost (but you get what you pay for). I know its cliché but we really love the product itself.

JF

Jacob F.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

My favorite MDM

I am 1 person administering about 200 users, give or take. I have used other MDMs, and most of them either overload you with policy configuration mechanisms or make finding things like activation lock passcodes an arcane endeavor. When tied to ABM and properly configured with Liftoff, my onboarding looks like this: I open a Macbook fresh from Apple. I connect it manually to wi-fi. I watch. It's that...

Pros

I was shown the Kandji admin panel on my first day, having only seen the name in passing before, and was more or less told to just figure it out. I've opened my share of support tickets, but Kandji is so well organized as a tool that it's not scary at all to learn how to use. It has made plenty of my breakfix tickets take seconds to resolve, and where access control used to be a headache, it's made a no-brainer by Kandji.

Cons

More a ding against Apple than Kandji, but in my experience, simultaneous app installation from Self Service doesn't seem to work - say you're waiting for xcode to install. You know it's ~14GB, but it's been stuck at 98.05% for two hours, so you're like, "okay, I'll just grab Chrome or something in the meantime," but you can't, because you started xcode first.

MA

Majdi A.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Incredible product!

Pros

Kandji makes it incredibly easy to manage Apple products from the easy-to-use interface, easy-to-use Auto-Apps, to the amazing support team. I can go on and on about how incredible the customer service is at Kandji. They are always willing to help us with any questions we may have, no matter how small the issue is. They are incredibly attentive and are always ready to help. 10/10 experience. From the...

Cons

Nothing. Our experience with Kandji has been nothing but the best.

JH

John H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Easiest MDM to use

Great experience from on-boarding to tech support to customer success managers.

Pros

The onboarding team made things super easy when moving from JAMF Pro. User interface is extremely clean and easy to use unlike other MDM's that require much more knowledge and skill. The support team is un matched across the board. Never have I had such quick responses to questions or issues (which 99% of the time was user error) Typical response times are under 5 minutes for sure.

Cons

Not much to dislike about the software outside of wishing I had more time during on boarding to get the most out of the software but we had multiple projects going on at the same time so that was more on me then Kandji

PW

Paul W.

Internet, 11-50 employees

For Macs, I've not seen anything better

MacOS MDM & Admin that works. We had so many issues with our previous suppliers that we repeatedly saw evidence it was actually physically not doing the job. Kandji is definitely running fully and correctly, along with providing expertise and access which makes my life easier.

Pros

The support is exemplary. I run a small business, and I'm competent but not an expert on Mac admin - having someone who answers emails/intercom without prejudice is amazing.

Cons

I wish they could fix everything! Unfortunately, whilst they try hard, they can't resolve fundamental flaws in the OS's! Whilst the UI of the platform isn't quite perfect (the odd bit is a little unintuitive), it's light years better than most of their competitors.

SS

Satham S.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

A worthy Jamf Alternative

Pros

Liftoff is a top feature --> Ship the MacBook directly from Apple to employees in any country, Kandji takes care of the rest. One-Click Templates --> Push CIS level security settings on the tens of MacBooks in minutes Their support team --> They are instant and reactive Kandji passport integration with IAM solutions

Cons

Reporting features could be better At this stage, the available features are delivered greatly and they have a frequent update cycle. So having high hopes that it will be implemented soon

RS

Robert S.

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Out of Sight Management

Pros

Low-impact to our users' workflows while keeping computers secure.

Cons

I haven't found anything that didn't fit with our company's needs.

TO

Thomas O.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Hiro Systems Kandji Review

Kandji is solving problems for me twofold. Administrator Side: On the administrator side of things, as a previous user of Jamf, AirWatch, and Mosyle-- they're just terrible. You need to do a lot of research, have someone walk you through them whose done it before and at the very worst, spend time getting certified. In IT, we don't have a lot of time to spend and to spend that having to deeply learn/understand...

Pros

The Kandji Team has made it incredibly easy to learn about, test, and deploy a complete MDM solution for Apple products. My absolute favorite part is the immense support that they provide in the form of their Knowledge Base support articles, and their amazing Live Chat support. As if setting up Kandji wasn't easy already, when you do need a resource, their knowledge base is impeccable and easy to navigate through to find answers. And on the rare occasion that I couldn't find a support article, I was able to chat with a support person via Live Chat right away. It all just seemed too good to be true, but it was in fact true all along. Kandji is here to deliver.

Cons

I honestly have not experienced a downside to Kandji, or at least as of yet. This is one of the primary reasons why I love the platform/solution so much and have even recommended it to my other friends who also work in the IT industry as environment administrators for Mac fleets. If I had to nitpick something, it would be that they don't offer their amazing solution and platform for Windows computers. Hopefully one day Kandji can revamp and breathe life into Windows MDM as they did in the Apple Devices space.

Chris K.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

A perfect match for our needs

It's been great. The sales process was efficient, and in the few instances where I've needed support, the team have been responsive and have gone out of the way to help.

Pros

As a smaller company without a dedicated IT team, Kandji makes managing our fleet of Macs simple. Transitioning from our previous MDM was straightforward and Kandji gives us the advanced features we need. I really like the in-built templates which gives you a configuration which is aligned to specific security standard, which can then be customized as desired. This allowed us to get up and running in less than a day. The software itself also feels modern - this comes across in the user experience and ease of use, especially when compared to other MDM solutions.

Cons

As a relatively new offering, there are some features I wish were present - one example would be being able to assign an application to a single device without having to create an entirely new blueprint. To thier credit the Kandji team have acknowledged this and seem really receptive to feature requests.

SM

Stephen M.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Kandji is Amazing

10/10 would recommend to literally anyone. Every single person that I've interacted with, from Sales, to Execs, to Engineering, and CX Support have been incredibly personable, helpful, and just plain rad people.

Pros

The UI is extremely intuitive, and is obviously very UX driven. I've been using it for well over 6 months and have yet to have an issue.

Cons

I literally have zero complaints about Kandji, but if I had to choose something, it would be nice if we could manage the handful of PC's that we have in our org (primarily a Mac shop).

RB

Robby B.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

My favorite MDM

Overall I have been extremely happy with Kandji and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a premium really solid management solution for Macs and iOS.

Pros

Kandji has taken the time to truly rewrite the underlying engine that is running their MDM and management tools, and it's easy to tell when you're using the tool. Utilizing modern development practices and cloud resources, Kandji is extremely fast at pushing out commands that you send from the dashboard, and the Mac client is fast, reliable, and helps enforce policies even when a computer is offline. Other management systems that I have used extensively have extremely flaky clients on the computer and require that you do all of the work to make scripts to "self-heal" the client. I have never had to do that with Kandji. The dashboard is really easy to use and allows you to do some incredibly powerful things with minimal training on Kandji itself.

Cons

There are a few minor features that are available in most other MDM's that aren't available in Kandji yet, but for our use cases, they haven't been a very big deal. It is something to be conscious of when looking at the solution, however. Additionally, in general, I like the "Blueprint" concept of managing devices, but there are some downsides. If we have a computer that needs one application that...

Dennis K.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Simpliest and most effecient MDM for Apple Device Management

We needed to simplify management of Apple devices. We needed an MDM that is effective and simple and didn't require hours upon hours of training to use. Kandji delivered on all points and their support is in a league of their own. Having an MDM that is easy to administer and works as expected takes all the pressure off of wondering if our Apple devices are configured and secured. To be completely honest, the peace of mind gained from using Kandji completely negates any cons I have and makes me infinitely & joyfully patient for the improvements in those areas.

Pros

The auto-app library makes app installation very simple. Custom apps are easy to set up and deploy as you would expect. Their support team is astounding. Their knowledgableable, effective, and quick! Using blueprints to group devices and deploy apps and settings is simple and straightforward.

Cons

Kandji's method of deploying configurations and apps to devices is it's best, and unfortunately the most crippling feature. Blueprints can help organize systems but leads to some frustration when attempting to make a one-off commands. Creating views for your devices doesn't work as expected (although I'm told this is something they are working to improve). Auto-apps require installation if you only want to keep them updated (I'm also told a self-service option is in development that will resolve this).

CS

Carl S.

Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees

7 minutes from first setup to actual production use

We are using Kandji to create a perfect zero touch experience, to simplify support and to make instant changes to configurations. We also plan to use it with iOS devices in future, because it supports iPad for business is such a smooth way, we can’t really wait to try it out. The support and help with the team at Kandji has been an absolute joy. They know and love their product for good (and obvious) reasons. As a life long Apple user, admin and admirer I can say that if Apple did their own MDM, it would look like this.

Pros

The setup of Kandji with G Suite defies belief when it comes to ease of use. Importing users took literally seconds with about 220 users. Setting up the Apple MDM certificates with Business Manager is about a few minutes (only limited by internet speed) but the true magic comes in when creating ones first Blueprint. And this is where one grasps the potential of the product as nothing can beat the UI, the speed and the simplicity. I had it up and running so quickly I thought I had forgotten something. This can be handled by first level employees with almost zero experience in the MDM arena. If they can use iTunes, they can use Kandji.

Cons

There honestly is nothing I like least. I am looking forward for them to have an admin client for iOS but again, the website works so well in Safari, it’s not really required.

HM

Henry M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Kandji - a sensible MDM for a fleet of Mac laptops

Kandji has helped simplify our Mac management experience significantly. Previously, we managed Mac set-up by hand, with checklists and regular checkins. It was time-consuming to set up new laptops, and challenging to reliably roll-out changes to settings across the laptop fleet. With Kandji, we no longer have to spend 1-2 hours configuring new laptops to meet our set up specs, and we can be confident that all security policies are set up correctly and enforced in an ongoing way.

Pros

1) It was very easy to learn how to use Kandji, as an admin. Our team was familiar with Macs as admins, but we had never used an MDM before - and every MDM we read about seemed complex and focused on companies with a big full-time IT staff. When we started with Kandji, we was able to get our first profile running and deployed in less than an hour. It's been very easy to make custom profiles, get connected...

Cons

When we launched, there was not a way to enforce installation of certain non-App-store apps (e.g., Chrome, Google File Stream). Kandji has now released a way to ensure those apps are installed, which is helpful. At times, configuration of the blueprints can be confusing. Certain topics are grouped together because that's the way Apple groups them, and it's non-intuitive to more everyday users. Kandji help has always clarified these issues promptly.

Pax W.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Kandji Rescued Winston Prep From Our Previous MDM

Our relationship with Kandji is great. We are excited to keep working with them into the era of Big Sur and Apple Silicon Macs!

Pros

The support is excellent, and the white-glove migration was crucial to us. We were forced to switch from another cloud-based MDM provider during the middle of a pandemic while our fleet of nearly 200 Macs was scattered about the country and no option for in-person support for our users. Kandji's clever approach kept us safely managed until the moment of migration, and 98% of the fleet switched over with no manual intervention.

Cons

There remain some management abilities we'd like to have, but generally those gaps come from gaps in the MDM protocol. Kandji is quick to embrace the latest and offer it quickly, including launch day support for macOS Big Sur.

JD

Joseph D.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Modern Apple device management for security-conscious organizations

Being a SaaS product catering to the finance vertical we have strict device management requirements (both internal policies as well as external compliance regulations). Kandji’s library of parameters and compliance templates helped us achieve a high level of security and compliance immediately (without spending months building each policy from scratch).

Pros

We switched to Kandji from Jamf (after testing a few other Apple device management solutions on the market) and couldn’t be happier with the results. The interface is intuitive and has allowed us to easily manage a rapidly growing fleet of macOS devices as well as a few iOS/tvOS devices. One of our favorite features is the parameter library - hundreds of common macOS device controls/policies that you can toggle on or off, saving us countless hours of scripting and remediation. Kandji has also enabled true zero touch deployment, so we have the ability to drop ship brand new devices to new team members without touching the device or setting it up manually, which is crucial given that much of our team is remote and we are growing quickly.

Cons

It can be challenging to keep up with the pace of change in the Apple ecosystem - for example, each new OS release brings new device management capabilities and security features for us to consider. However, Kandji has been very quick to support these changes; every couple of weeks there is a new product release, a new profile they are supporting, etc.

TK

Thrasyvoulos K.

Biotechnology, 11-50 employees

Well-designed, intuitive Apple Device Management

Pros

Kandji had a super easy learning curve, and with a few steps, you can achieve a very secure and robust device configuration. We like most the user-friendly interface and the immediate response time on support tickets. We are also using Kandji passport, which allows us to use Okta for laptop logins and have easy access to secure authentication policies.

Cons

The price point is a bit high compared with other systems.

RC

Ryan C.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Review for Kandji

I chose Kandji because it would allow us to easily deploy new Macs and apply configuration, policies, and install applications. It took little effort for us to set up the instance from the start and we were able to deploy a new computer with a blueprint within a few hours of beginning to use Kandji. Compared to JAMF, this was a huge win for us. I also loved how easy it was to setup Automated Device Enrollment.

Pros

- Implementation was simple to figure out on my own - Setting up automated device enrollment took less than 20 minutes and much faster than competing solutions - Support team is responsive

Cons

- You can't scope policies, configurations, or applications to a group of people or an individual; it has to be scoped to an entire blueprint which is not ideal - There's little reporting functionality. For example, I'd like to run a report on all of the software that is installed across our laptops and you can't do that

Dylan D.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Apple device management game changer

Benefits of our Kandji migration: Saving time managing our macOS fleet through Kandji's built-in library of apps, automation, workflows, and configurations. Moving closer to a true zero-touch deployment of our new Apple device endpoints. Decreased device on-boarding time. Providing a better experience for keeping devices and apps updated for our employees.

Pros

Working with the Kandji team, you can tell they are among the best at Apple device management. The level of effort and care the Kandji team puts into deployment and support is setting a new standard. Security is a front and center focus of the Kandji product. Effortlessly secure your devices and spend less time worrying about your device security. Great end-user experience to manage or enforce updates. Kandji has a library of apps, automations and workflows that can save any IT team time by not needing to consistently manage, update apps and scripts. This was a big differentiator for me, working on a small team that spends time on more than just device management.

Cons

Recent macOS updates have changed and continue to change the way businesses can manage their macOS devices (looking at you kernel and system extensions). Kandji has the product and team that gives me hope that they can handle any future device management changes Apple may make.

Ryan D.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Pro Level MDM at a Lower Cost and Administrative Burden

Pros

Kanji provides pro-level features without the complexity of other solutions. The flexibility they give you by offering robust out of the box functionality as well as the ability to build custom scripts and push out custom applications can't be beaten. They are also pushing out new features at an accelerated rate so it feels like I am adding new rules and apps for my users weekly. For someone that is not as technical when it comes to writing scripts, their support has also been incredibly helpful. They are more than willing to figure out exactly what you are trying to do and provide insight and help so that you can accomplish your goals.

Cons

The only area for improvement I would say is that the UI does not adapt well if you try to log on to the application from a phone.

NM

Nicholas M.

Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees

Great MDM

Pros

This tool was clearly designed from an macOS admin's point of view. Incredible functionality and very easy to use compared to some of the competition. Support is fantastic, and a great solution engineering team to help with any struggles. I've recommended Kandji to many others, and will continue to do so.

Cons

Nothing really. It hit all of my requirements.

RE

Ryan E.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Great MDM solution for Macs!

Overall, I really like Kandji and would recommend it to companies who need some kind of MDM management. Kandji definitely doesn't have the most features available as competitors, but for the price it's great. I could see a lot of smaller companies using Kandji. As Kandji grows and has more features, they will be a great option for larger companies too.

Pros

-Very easy to deploy -Packed features for the price -Very affordable way to get started in MDM for compliance, organization & management -Great customer service -Lots of things are already automated for you, no custom code needed -Still have the ability to create custom automation if you please

Cons

-Still a developing software in the making -Doesn't have as much features as other MDM solutions out there, but this is a great starter and price point -Would like to see more control options in the future