Runecast Analyzer Reviews

Pros

Very easy to implement and have useful information to optimized and secure a VMware environment.

Its like have a Vmware Technician 24/7 auditing you Vmware Environment, its absolutely great.

Alexis D.

Great KB DB and ease of use. I like integration in monitoring tab in vCenter WebGUI.

Stjepan V.

Cons

That means 20 to 30 VM’s are kept running each month instead of annoying a customer with a problem at a cash machine or doing their online of mobile banking. That alone makes it worthwhile for us.

Rob v.

Product keeps either losing creds or some other issue, as it periodically loses connection to various vcenters. Sometimes the interface can be overwhelming.

Brad B.

On average, we prevent at least one host crash (or not responding) a month.

Rob v.

4.8

System Engineer, I design and manage IT services. Author of Nolabnoparty.com tech blog.

I can have the situation of my virtual environment always under control from a centralized console knowing if anything bad is occurring to the infrastructure. It allows me to save time and plan appropriate maintenance windows avoiding services disruption.

Pros

An easy to use solution, very useful to prevent potential issues on your virtual infrastructure. The well designed Dashboard allows you to have the overall status of your infrastructure from a single pane of glass. Being constantly under development, Runecast releases updates as soon as new issues or new KB are released by VMware saving the administrators from potential services disruption. Despite...

Cons

No much to say about cons... for SMBs the application price perhaps can influence the purchase decision but the provided benefits are valuable. Anyway preventing issues surely cost less than fixing.

Thank you, Paolo! We love your blog and your kind reviews!

The best in its league

Pros

RuneCast made our life so easy. It look a job of days and turned it into minutes. Not only that, we had to ready each and every best practice document for each release and product (vSphere, vCenter, Horizon), RuneCase made it all in one. It also helped us to verify the compliance of our drivers with the release we use of ESXi as this use to be a manual process too. so easy to deploy... its OVF, assign IP and you are ready to go... so so so simple What I also love about it is that they keep on adding features without asking the customers to pay more or bring up a new license... The best value for money you will ever see in todays products.

Cons

What I would like to see in RuneCast is that... Customers should be able to define their own baselines and it should compare your installation against it... currently it has built-in (vmware best practices, CIS, etc...), where what I see it should allow us to customize and run the analysis against our settings and then print it in a report format ... this will help us to showcase our compliance to audit team

Thank you for your review and ideas!

Tried last year

Pros

Easy integration and installation, everything OK.

Cons

Well hard to say, its almost 2 years, but maybe price?

Thanks for your review of an older version of Runecast Analyzer. Try our latest release, as we've introduced way more capabilities in the last two years!

Runecast at 'de Volksbank'

“Our main goal is to serve our customers with a high-end, feature rich and robust electronic banking environment. With Runecast we can now proactively prevent outages on the systems that provide that environment.” On average, we prevent at least one host crash (or not responding) a month. That means 20 to 30 VM’s are kept running each month instead of annoying a customer with a problem at a cash machine or doing their online of mobile banking. That alone makes it worthwhile for us! We utilize Runecast to prioritise remediation of newly detected issues in each sprint according to their level of severity. We also use it to generate concise monthly reports on the state of our virtual environment.

Pros

Runecast Analyzer saves De Volksbank’s IT team 75% of time previously spent on troubleshooting and identifying root causes of issues. The tedious manual approach of crawling through VMware Knowledge Base articles has been replaced with proactive automated problem prevention.

Cons

The upgrade process in the past between major versions. The move from one appliance to another keeping all settings and data.

Thank you for the review! We're glad to hear how well it's working out.

One stop shop, single pain or glass Best Practice and Security Advice, all in one nice panel!

Spent less time, consulting VMware documentation.... Log Analysis against VMware KBs, provides many fixes for issues.

Pros

It takes the pain away from VMware Administration.... it does what it says on the tin, plug and play, sit back, and then spend some time Security Hardening your VMware vSphere estate, and not forgetting following Best Practice! The real time log analysis against VMware KBs is amazing...!!!

Cons

What is there not to like about Runecast Analyzer! Be prepared for a long list of todos, after it's analysed your VMware vSphere estate! It's not a software issues, because you should have been following Best Practice and Security Advice...anyway.

Thank you Andrew, for a great review!

It is great!!

Pros

While patching or upgrade to new version you can easily see the compatibility of firmware /drivers both hardware and software. Helps to prevent PSOD by giving the prior suggestions.

Cons

A complete upgrade matrix for vSphere . by checking all the product company is using.

Thanks for your review!!!

An extremely useful pro-active problem solver, with new features being added regularly.

Avoiding downtime on production hypervisors, and ensuring everything is running smoothly.

Pros

It does something unique by cross-referencing KB articles with your VMware estate, bringing a lot of hidden unknowns to the surface so they can be sorted before you have an issue.

Cons

Just waiting on the PCI checks feature, but I understand this needs a lot of interaction with VMware themselves before they can release.

Great feedback - thank you, Rob! We keep working hard to add new valuable functionalities and a PCI compliance profile is coming up very soon! Even now Runecast Analyzer already satisfies a large number of PCI-DSS 3.2.1 controls. Check out this article: https://www.runecast.biz/blog/automating-pci-dss-v321-in-vmware-virtual-data-centers-part-1---vulnerability-management.jsp

Overall experience was really nice. Deployment and configuration was just few clicks.

Pros

The most important thing is ease of use and configuration. Recent release of vCenter plug-in made the life more easier. Routine updates and offline repository usage is one of the other important thing and it helps to maintain a more secure environment without exposing the internal network to the internet and while analyzing the security risks and best practices.

Cons

To be honest, I have nothing in mind to say bad about this and overall experience was really nice so far.

Thanks for a great review! We do release regular updates to make sure you are always on top of the latest recorded issues and best practices. We are happy we could make your life easier.

Best 3rd party software for your vSphere environnements .

Runecast saves hours to any Virtualization Engineer

Pros

It does what it supposes to do : single interface to discover by referencing VMware KB articles and best practices and then help you to correct issues in your virtual infrastructures : vSphere and now NSX !!!

Cons

No much to say about cons. I'd like to have a trend of historical report.

Thanks for the great feedback. Historical trends are coming very very soon :)

Impressive and valuable tool

It helps to mature and secure the vsphere environment

Pros

I'm impressed by the easy installation in my environment with dozens of remote clusters. It runs very smooth and the first results come in before I can even finish my coffee. It finds all kind configuration issues and gives advise how to fix or improve. Currently testing with the trail version, but hope to switch to the full version soon.

Cons

The version I use is not creating a trend line for the security score or index and that is useful for my reports. I got from support that it is on the roadmap for a future release.

And we are impressed by your review - thank you! We are working hard on releasing the historical data report functionality very soon!

Really nice software which works fast, easy to maintain, good support

Pros

Nice software which allows to monitor vulnerabilities and bugs and fix them. It also has features of monitoring and analyzing logs which shows only information you need to know(errors, fails) and groups them.

Cons

I would like to see more information about logs and their relation and impact on system together with KA and BP and maybe history of fixing bugs graph would looks good

Thanks for the great feedback, Oleg! We are working hard on the historical graph and it is to be released very soon!

Gave me a quick visual of my entire VMware environment and all the possible issues that existed

This product has save time in remediation as well has helped me better understand some of my initial configuration flaws.

Pros

The fact that I can see all the issues and potential issues that exist is fantastic, but to be given a direct path for remediation has same me hours of time.

Cons

To be honest, I haven't found anything that I didn't like about it. It has don't everything I needed.

Thanks for the great review, Henderson! We are happy Runecast saves you time and helps you understand configuration flaws. We appreciate you putting your trust in us for years now!

My experience..

Pros

Its easy to use, handy to solve issues..

Cons

Product keeps either losing creds or some other issue, as it periodically loses connection to various vcenters..Sometimes the interface can be overwhelming..

Thanks for the review, we will keep your feedback in mind with upcoming releases!

Simple quick compliance check

Makes the life of an administrator

Pros

It is very easy to see where you are lacking and need to be patched. As well as categorize the different issues into their importance.

Cons

It would be nice to allow automated patching of systems based on your preferences. This would make this product

Thank you for the review, Stephen and thank you for your long lasting trust in Runecast. We will continue to works towards making your life as an administrator easier!

Great tool

Pros

Ease of use and frequent updates. And very aeasy to set up, too.

Cons

Not so easy to override an alert. Nothing else.

Thanks for your feedback! We will pass it along to our development team.

Evaluated this product within test and production environments

Pros

It is everything the VMware Health Analyzer tried to be and much more. The comprehensive coverage of applicable KB articles, DISA STIG and best practises summarised across infrastructure qualities makes reporting current states effortless. Also, from a security perspective, the offline capability is priceless.

Cons

I wish the product had been around years ago. Not much else I can really say about what I don't like about it.

Thanks for the awesome review, Austen!

Great tool to discover hidden issues within virtual infrastructure. Timesaver

I was able to detect issues that I wasn't aware of.

Pros

simple deployment simple configuration simple update process offline update possible good visualization of issues

Cons

no defined way to contact support. I did it via Twitter and then I got excellent support. They're should be a contact form on the website or within Runecast to open a ticket.

Thanks for the great feedback, Michael! There was a temporary maintenance on the website, but the chat support option is now back on the lower right corner of the page.

Easy Ride

It has identified issues and bugs that i had no idea about

Pros

Its like have a Vmware Technician 24/7 auditing you Vmware Environment, its absolutely great !!!!

Cons

No Alerting, if wanted alerts from logs. Hope they add these feature to a future release

Thank you, Alexis, for the awesome feedback! Regarding Alerting - apart from the email report that's currently part of the product, we are working on more sophisticated alerting.

A vital tool for maintaining uptime for your virtual environment

Pros

- The ease of installation and upgrade. Deployed in 30 minutes and upgraded in 10 - The easy to use interface and to see how many hosts are affected by a particular bug/issue - The ability to group issues into categories

Cons

- Reporting could be improved. It would be nice to be able to produce a graphical report that illustrates all the issues diecovered and how many hosts are affected.

Thank you, Gordon, for the awesome review and suggestions! We are working on extending the reporting options.

Very usefull as it's able to rapidly point what's missing or wrongly set on esx side

Easy view of what could possibly impact esx behaviour....

Pros

Easy to set up, it's just a single vm deployed in 15min, after a short scan : able to pinpoint what's not correct or missing.. Simple criss-cross between config & best practices & kb's

Cons

Nothing so far. Don't really see any cons yet. Or maybe : its not free but it's normal... You don't really get use full tools for free....

Thanks for the great review, Thierry! We like keeping things simple and providing you with the actionable insights you need.

Excellent software which complements the lack of VMware's management software.

Reduced the risk of system down and saved lots of time for trouble shootings.

Pros

Runecast Analyzer always saves my time to resarch KB and potential problems. And also, it saves me from PSOD before it happens.

Cons

I'm OK but language localization could boost the sales in non-English speaking countries like Japan.

Thank you, Igarashi-san, for the great feedback! We value our Japanese users and we consider localizing the main dashboard as a start.

Excellent all around

It's made all our administrators into VMware "experts"!

Pros

Provides a deep dive into every aspect of my VMware setup, giving me excellent insights into security, logs, recommendations, hardening, knowledge base articles, and the like.

Cons

Not a lot of cons. I'd love to see "do it for me" features to fix common/easy/low-risk-of-change things.

Thank you, Troy! We love helping you be true VMware experts!

Awesome product to complète an audit

Pros

It simplify any audit on VMware platform. In my Day to Day business it help to prove my customer, there is some issue on the VMware implémentation.

Cons

More product to intégrate like Hyper-V. I know This can be troublesome because of the all components.

Great tool

Proactive warring for compatibility and bugs between hw, sw ... and in future possibly firmware.

Pros

Cons

More templates for home dashboard. Option to acknowledge some known issues on global level (Datcenter) vCenter level.

Thanks for your feedback! We really appreciate it.

Simple platform checker

Pros

Easy to deploy and easy to use, always up to date. Very light. It's all i wanted from this kind of tool

Cons

I didn't find for the moment something i don't like. It's a good sign no ? ;) I'm am not using it enough for the moment.

We love keeping things simple, Gilles - thank you for the kind review!