WhatsUp Gold Reviews

WhatsUp Gold

The network and application monitoring software

Review Summary

Pros

Whatsup Gold is obviously a good and useful product for people to use. The interface is friendly and the reminders are helpful.

Jianan L.

My experience has been pretty good, but as of right now we're looking at other more cost effective options.

WUG has been a solid piece of our network for years now, their support team is great and the product does everything we need it to do and more. It is reasonably priced for what you get.

Dustin M.

Cons

The product has limited functionality and is inflexible to use as a 24x7 monitoring tool. Software updates may fix some problems but often introduce more problems.

Robert M.

Originally, we started before the Gold version existed. It has been running ever since, and it usually provides the first warning when something goes wrong.

I upgraded from version 16 to 17 and ended up rolling back because there were so many missing features.

Patrick E.

WhatsUpGold is a great tool for monitoring the status of your network.

We mainly benefit from the alerts system that will notify all specified employees via text/email whenever a part of our network goes down. Typically we will know something is down before our users even notice the problem.

Pros

The alerts are where WhatsUpGold really shines. They are all fully customizable and once they're setup to your specifications they work like a dream. A majority of the time we will know when something on the network goes down before our users even notice the problem!

Cons

This product can do so many different things it becomes a little overwhelming. Once alerts are setup they work great, but the configuration process can get pretty confusing if you haven't done it before. Online training videos on how to configure certain features would be a great tool.

Hi and thanks so much for the kind words! We¿re delighted that you¿re enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you¿re using it. Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2lCWFrs4paSSNpe1JnTnQ If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community at commmunity.ipswitch.com for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

WhatsUp Gold Review

After everything was set up, we have had almost no issues. The customer support is great and the reps are great. The software has free updates which is awesome and the community board is very helpful. I would recommend this product to any IT environment that is looking for network monitoring solution.

Pros

It fits exactly what we need it to do. Monitor our devices and send us alerts when there is an issue. The schematic is also very helpful because we have it broken down into locations and grouped together to make things easier to use. It is also very helpful to put in all the information we have into the details of the device so that its all in one place. It helps us stay organized!

Cons

The set up was atrocious. We had to run a scan like 6 times to find everything. Eventually I had to add things in one by one which took forever. It is not simple to use. You have to really understand the icons and how things are linked within the software. I wished there was better documentation and videos about this. Especially with the setup. The whole installation and setup was a nightmare.

WhatsUp Gold

We use Whatsup Gold to proactively tell us when something is wrong before users start complaining. It has served us well in this capacity We use WUG thresholds and netflow data to determine when business (and non-business) processes are interfering with user performance at our branches with limited network capacity. We use the netflow data and work with the branch to have the offending processes eliminated...

Pros

The ease of adding a device, and getting monitors configured with alerts is what like best. To go from no monitoring to getting a text/email when something goes wrong is relatively easy with this product. The ease of putting specific graph items on a page (dashboard) is also very useful.

Cons

The biggest problem with this product is the performance/capacity of the product to generate graphs. Using java to fetch data from the database to paint pages is slow. I can collect 500,000 data items and generate 100,000 graphs without much horsepower with a tool like CACTI which uses php and flat text rrd files to paint the graph. I can put ten times as many graphs on a page and it still paints...

WUG CRA Experience

Alerting and allowing us to be proactive on issues is main focus and WUG has allowed my team to accomplish that goal. Reporting/automating reports and providing different practices within CRA the option of personalized dashboards to gauge performance has been a favorite offering from IT to our end users.

Pros

Goes without saying that it is easy to implement, intuitive and easy to manage. Dashboards and views are ++++

Cons

been using WUG for over 10years and have brought in to 3 different companies i've worked for---to date, i haven't found anything I dislike.

Legacy WUG user

We are proactively monitoring network, server and application infrastructure in a way that allows for pro-active maintenance and reporting. It allows us to view and manage IT assets easily, I only wish I had more time to utilize more of it's features.

Pros

It provides a nice visual representation of the health of your IT infrastructure environment and allows for the easy drilling down into details that are needed. It is full of features and information and allows for proactive monitoring.

Cons

Nothing specifically at this time.

Great program for monitoring and maintaining your IT infrastructure

Pros

Basic installation and configuration of WUG is very easy. Out of the box, there are many monitors that can be set up without a large amount of experience. The titles and tooltips make setting up the initial software package very simple.

Cons

Adding non-default alerts seem to be a little more difficult than should be.

Easy to configure, customize and implement

Wonderful product and reasonably priced compared to other commercial solutions.

Pros

Ability to setup proactive alerts based upon custom application monitors, to provide notification to key support individuals of critical process failures.

Cons

Web interface can sometimes be slow and/or require clearing cache and refreshing.

I like the products!

Overall products is good but it needs more easy configurations for basic setting.

Pros

I could view all device status in simple network map

Cons

It is hard to update the changed info. Also too hard to manage notifications.

Multiple sets of eyeballs for a small team

Pros

The fact that WhatsUp Gold is so versatile is a huge win. You can do basically anything you need with it, and with us having a two person IT Ops team to cover the availability of all systems and services, it really acts as an all-seeing set of eyes into our infrastructure.

Cons

With versatility comes complexity of implementation. It's not as easy as just adding a new monitor. You have to have the type selected, include a maintenance schedule, etc.

Great Insight into our network

Pros

What's Up Gold give us the ability to tailor it to how much view we want. As well as even starting software for us if/when it crashed on a particular machine. Outside of the standard up/down view it provides it also provides very customizable view/access to our network.

Cons

Can get a bit expensive to cover on how the licensing is done but other than that it works great.

wug 17&18 has an overall better interface that is responsive, a few minor fixes will make it aweso

Pros

The device cards are a nice addition; quickly access common features. Creating dashboard is much easier now than in previous version; more flexible. I like how things are now grouped together, e.g. accessing logs you don't have to go to 3-4 different locations. Searching for devices is great!

Cons

Device roles and discovery could use some work. need to be able finding monitors in library is cumbersome, need a way to search or jump alphabetically Device types were remove, new versions don't support changing OS type Need a way to create dynamic HTTPS content monitor, meaning you could hit an address like so : http://%device.Hostname/NmConsole (hostname is not supported, only address) HTTPS...

Hi, Thanks so much for the kind words! We're delighted that you're enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you're using it. Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmaOx9MsMEQ. If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

One of the best Monitoring products available

I monitor all critical objects such as CPU, memory, disk and response time. I am also monitoring critical services such as SQL, Rapid Recovery to name a few. One of the main benefits is receiving an email alert before or when a device is down so we can avoid tons of tickets from users.

Pros

I have been using What'sUp Gold network monitoring for years. I was first introduced to the product in 2003. My company at the time was using Solarwinds which I found to be not very user friendly. So I did some research and found What'sUP Gold. Out of the box it was easy to implement and provided much more clarity and features. It provides me with a proactive approach for when any monitored device hits a predetermined threshold. Absolutely love it.

Cons

There isn't much I don't like about the product.

Thank you for being a long time valued customer and for your positive review!

Excellent product however lately they are advertising features that are not working

It provides us an overall health of the environment and provides great alerting tool.

Pros

The interface is nice and customizable. Upgrading to new versions are very simple. The overall alert monitoring is great. They continue to add in new features to keep up with the overall demanding IT infrastructure. Working with their technical and product teams are great as they listen to your issues and/or suggestions and look to add new features by communicating to their customers on their sprints.

Cons

As of late the Whats Up Gold Plus product is not delivering based on what has been communicated to their customers. I attended a conference where IPSwitch stated their WhatsUp Gold product supported Microsoft Azure, Dell Compellent Storage and Wireless APs. When we implemented the product it only supports a small piece of Azure that requires Servers and not WebApps/Sites. In addition, the Dell Compellent provides incorrect measurements which is now being looked at on their technical team because there are issues with their release. On the AP Support it is stating they cannot read into our Cisco Airnet APs which are very standard. This too is a feature request. I like the product but for the cost I would expect these types of features to work.

Robust and streamlined monitoring

Pros

We mostly use WhatsUp for server and service monitoring but we also use it for configuration management on the majority of our network devices, Netflow Analysis, and Application monitoring. For years WUG has been a solid investment and the constant flow of updates keeps adding new features with every release. With the ability to create your own custom monitors and actions WUG will let you do almost anything you can think of.

Cons

Because it is so customizable there is a lot to do to make use of the full capabilities of WUG. It would also be nice to see external integrations via an API of some sort bring able to quickly pull info from WUG using a Slack or Teams bot would be handy. An enhancement of the reporting capabilities such as embedded dashboards allowing users to present information from WUG on other websites and services would help admins present WUG information to customers more easily.

Simple and easy to use

I have had positive experiences with WhatsUpGold. The sales staff and tech support are friendly and knowledgeable.

Pros

This software is simple and easy to use. The alerts it gives the I.S. Department are very valuable in that we have so much infrastructure it would be very difficult to monitor all of it in real time. WhatsUpGold makes that task much easier and often lets us know when there is an issue before we would be informed otherwise.

Cons

There is so much information sent to I.S. it could fill up your mailbox pretty quickly if you don't keep on top of it.

Always Improving, Some Layer 2 Problems

Adequate tool for monitoring and sending alerts to the IT members, with escalations if not resolved

Pros

It is mostly reliable. Great scan engine, intuitive, maintenance mode with time limits, lots of great features

Cons

Layer 2 auto-maps are not reliable. I have opened several tickets and these problems never get resolved. If this feature worked reliably it would be a huge time saver.

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

I have had nothing but outstanding experience with IPswitch and it's staff.

Our Network and VM monitoring has improved by 200%

Pros

First is its reliability. I have matched it against other products such as CACTI and more accurate in the numbers game. Also, its flexibility when it comes to even exporting and importing of databases to new versions of WUG. Another aspect I like is how there is always constant improvement with the product. The versions never stay static. Always moving forward. I have in recent made of suggestion and IPSwitch said they would investigate it and possibly have it in a beta release.

Cons

This is a most difficult question to answer. If I had to come up with anything ... It is that they are under staffed. Every single employee on tech side, sales, marketing must be working 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Answers are always 100 percent correct but the same staff answers your questions. Those employee s need help. Hire !!!

WhatsUp Gold is great to alert on all types of devices

Benefit of proactively maintaining the full network

Pros

It allows me to monitor all of the network remotely. I'm able to monitor switches, websites, computers, temperature, etc. I just need to only look at my email to be able to see down statuses of devices

Cons

Taking the time to research how to configure monitoring takes up a lot of my time. Wish there were more instructional videos.

Review for k-12 educational technology

It has been a great experience. Many years ago I used WUG in business and I now use it in education. It has evolved tremendously and is a go-to in my everyday arsenal.

Pros

I use many features on a continuous basis. It allows me to be proactive when I see potential issues. In this current world it is essential. I quickly get alerted when things go down and when other things hit thresholds. This has been an awesome addition to my arsenal and saved me on more than one occassion.

Cons

I really do not have any complaints. This offers me exactly what I need and doesn't over complicate things. There are minor hiccups but nothing worth mentioning in this survey.

Happy customer

using for network issues troubleshooting . Very convenient tool

Pros

Currently we're using ping , http monitoring for internal network and also for outsided websites. In live gives me the picture of what's happening with the network if any problems. Overall gives what I'm expecting. I know there are a lot of other features available but don't use them yet.

Cons

It's sitting on the local server so I don't have access to it from outside (from app for example) which not very convenient. Also, we had to purchase third party monitoring system to monitor What's up, in case any problem with internet or with actual server. To have some outside monitoring system would be helpful too.

Excellent monitoring

We switched to WUG from OPManager, brought network monitoring back in house. This saved the company $33K a year. I had previously used WUG at a different company. When I mentioned the potential cost saving the CIO (Big fan of Solarwinds) thought I might be biased, so he gave the project to the other engineer. Luckily he came up with the same results. I was able to display the same information (add more) on the big screen with WUG vs Solarwinds, so the CIO agreed to switch.

Pros

I like the easy of the setup and flexibility of the product. We had two other products SolarWinds and OPmanager. Both complicated compared to WUG. To the point we were not using them accept for the basics. Just today I added a new site.

Cons

Some bulk items have to be done on the server and can't be done on the webpage

Great monitoring, alerting and switch config backup

Running it for over 4 years and it never went down. Reliable alerting once you get it setup.

Pros

Automated Switch config backups. Great monitoring and alerting systems. Easy viewing and great for displaying on a monitor.

Cons

Complicated alarm setup. No mobile option.

excellent monitoring software

we started using this software many years ago. originally, we started before the Gold version existed. it has been running ever since, and it usually provides the first warning when something goes wrong. it also tells us when something is starting to look a little funny, so most of the time we can address the issue before it becomes an issue.

Pros

you can monitor just about anything with this software. that's the whole point of monitoring. if you can't monitor everything you want, you need to find a different product.

Cons

feature wise, i have no problems with the software. however, it is a little pricey. it's not anywhere near as expensive as some other monitoring suites, but it is still a little pricey for a small business.

Thank you for your review and for being a valued customer. We appreciate your feedback!

I use it everyday for the past 15 years. Earlier versions were a bit easier to understand.

Pros

I like the graphics. The graphs are great. The product does a lot. It is familiar to me as I've used WUG since 1998

Cons

The product is complex to setup. I need direction/training on all that it can do as it is no longer obvious.

Great for keeping track of complicated systems

I've worked in many offices and data centers that use this, and it seems to be the standard. So it's refreshing to walk into a new work-space and already be comfortable using WhatsUp. It's one of the more widespread used software packages (probably for a good reason!)

Pros

I had used other monitoring software before but none were as easy to use and reliable as WhatsUp Gold. The visual representation of your system is the most valuable because it makes everything so much easier to explain over the phone to people. You can have custom settings, alarms, triggers, etc that can all notify the right people. It makes it so much easier to keep things going and have the proper users/admins involved. The way it keeps everything organized is very useful and saves a lot of time with guess-work.

Cons

WhatsUp can be a little on the sensitive side, which I supposed can be a plus for some important machines - but annoying for others. I've had a few times where there were false triggers or errors that weren't a big deal. But from the customer point of view, I'd view this as a gain. It's always good to be ultra aware of whats happening on your network, especially if it's your job!

Thank you Dave for the review and for being a customer.