BuzzSumo Reviews

4.55/5 (110 reviews)

Alyssa Isakower

Great for measuring backlinks and level of social sharing

Reviewed 2019-02-25

Generally good. Could certainly be improved, and be an even better product, but overall couldn't do without it.

Pros
I find BuzzSumo to be the best solution out there to gauge how much an article has been shared across the web. It is generally more comprehensive than other applications we pay for. I use it in concert with CrowdTangle as well, and I find that it is better for finding Twitter shares. I like that the brand/keyword monitoring is very easy to set up and use. Support has always been responsive and good.

Cons
I think BuzzSumo does an interesting range of things it can be hard to use to their fullest capacity. I always felt that the "influencer" section wasn't fully finished, it's changed a few times since I was a customer. I found it to be useful to a degree (checking at a glance if a Twitter sharer was someone I had added to a VIP list, for example) but not much beyond that. Also - the alerts sometimes scrape up old content, which can be confusing. Especially if you have alerts sent to multiple people.

Andrew Lee

BuzzSumo - Not Perfect But Easiest To Use!

Reviewed 2019-02-22

Overall I would recommend the tool. I haven’t found a tool that does what BuzzSumo does better. For a social and content team it has been a valuable tool for our global team.

Pros
BuzzSumo is a very easy to learn and use tool. I was able to train teams on being self efficient with the tool very quickly. There is a lot of information that you can from the tool if you pay enough for it. It is a great tool to get a better understanding of what is trending and also to see what competitors are up to with content.

Cons
The price is high for the data you receive. It was hard to justify the price at times. To unlock certain features that should be standard, you’d have to buy an upgrade subscription.

Volodymyr Bilyk

Essential Content Research Tool

Reviewed 2018-09-04

Developing good content means you need to do a lot of research and sometimes that can be a dubious process even if you have all the tools. Hopefuly, BuzzSumo is one of those tools that makes the process of content research much easier and much more insightful in just a couple of clicks.

Pros
BuzzSumo is tailor-made for content reseach, competition analysis, backlinking and outreach research. It was instrumental in developing my long-term content strategy and adjusting it on the go. BuzzSumo is relatively easy to use and you don't need to tackle with lots of toggles in order to get a semblance of a result. Saves a lot of time and provides you with a good protection from a content-related headache. All you need to do is insert the words of interests - look through the stats and check out what is up in the list.

Cons
It takes so time to get used to it and it can be really rough in some places. That might be a serious put off. Pricing also may scare some but it is totally worth it.

Ujjwal Kumar

Amazing Content Research tool!

Reviewed 2018-09-11

Having BuzzSumo means having an advantage over your competitors since it makes a lot of tricky things easy to track and research about.

Pros
BuzzSumo is definitely one of the best content research and analysis tools that I have used. I've used it for the mentioned reason and apart from that it also has useful features that let you scan backlinks and perform research related to your competition. As a digital marketer, tools like BuzzSumo are definitely great to have. Not only is it simple but it packs a lot of power and functionalities. The time you spend using BuzzSumo will be the time that will get you the highest ROI when you are planning your campaign. All you need to do is enter the relevant keywords you are working with and there it is, all the stuff you need and with all the filters, toggles and other stuff, BuzzSumo proves to be a great tool overall.

Cons
BuzzSumo does have a bit of a learning curve but once you get used to it and learn how to use it correctly, you will be able to take full advantage of it. Also, I wish they work on the pricing and bring it down a notch to make things even sweeter.

Jason Janes

Incredibly Powerful Tools for keyword discovery, tracking competitors and who key influencers are

Used occasionally for free trial
Reviewed 2018-12-15

Pros
Amazing insights into the most shared content on your topic or keyword. Social impact and going viral is a huge part of modern digital marketing and Buzzsumo proves industry best tools for discovering trending topics. You can also easily find out who the "Influencers" are for your keywords making the process much easier on who to establish networking relationships with that could turn into valuable "mentions" which brings up another great aspect of BuzSumo: Content Alerts, the software will scour the internet and alert you anytime your keyword is mentioned on a website, blog, social media, etc. If you are an Agency this is a no-brainer tool for your digital marketing toolbox.

Cons
A little bit pricey for small businesses and solo site entrepreneurs but great value for Agencies & larger businesses (Hows that for a mixed con ;-) ) One of the problems with having an in depth tool with a very complete feature set is that it can be a bit overwhelming when you are new to the buzzsumo service or keyword research in general. So in some respects having a very robust, in-depth research tool which is certainly a positive aspect can also be a bit of a con to first time users and those new to Keyword Research in General. I'd love to see a "Getting Started" interface with the most important features, then be able to toggle on all the features or an "Advanced View". In all fairness, they have a very good tutorial and help section.

Antoinette Curtin

Best content marketing tool on the market

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Excellent. It took me a while to procure due to internal issues but the team was very helpful and patient, giving me access when needed. I feel very valued and listened to even though I'm on one of the lower paid tiers.

Pros
BuzzSumo was the first tool of its kind I came across. It was almost magical to be able to explore a list of most effective pieces for specific audiences and sectors. The newer visualisation features are really easy to use. It's great for keeping on top of the most effective pieces on your own domain. The evergreen score is helpful for considering what works past an initial first burst on social. And they're constantly experimenting, so I've no doubt they'll continue to find clever ways to remain an essential resource for content marketers.

Cons
The current features give the best sense of content that performs well on social generally. LinkedIn has reduced access - greater insight into what works on that platform would be a big help.

Amy Dardinger

Extremely useful tool

Reviewed 2019-02-22

BuzzSumo has greatly helped with client reporting, and I frequently train employees on how to analyze the impact of a particular published item, and the first stop is BuzzsSumo.

Pros
BuzzSumo's alert and media monitoring are excellent. It picks up a considerable amount of media that other services miss. The tool is also intuitive and easily adjusted to cater to changing client needs. The ability to assess the social impact of published media is also extremely useful.

Cons
In future iteration, I would like the ability to look at more historic data. Retroactive media monitoring can be a real pain point.

Nicolas Frichot ► Professional Speaker

BuzzSumo: The Best Tools For Anaytics On Facebook & Search Alerts

Reviewed 2019-10-03

Overall, I have yet to meet a tools as powerful and comprehensive as BuzzSumo. They are unique. Use this tool. You will not regret. Worth every single penny.

Pros
I can't contain my enthusiasm on this great tools of BuzzSumo: The ability to search for meaningful and top scoring Facebook content with just a keyword. I was also impressed with the keyword mention tools, that i if someone mention your brand on the web, you get an instant notification via email.

Cons
The pricing: A great tool but not readily available to anyone.

Charles Araujo

Great Research Tool

Reviewed 2019-02-22

Because I publish across a wide range of topics and on several properties that I do not control, this is one of the few ways for me to monitor the effectiveness of my writing and identify emerging trends that should guide my future writing efforts.

Pros
I love the level of insight you can get on topics and influencers and the ability to monitor your brand, etc. It's an extremely powerful tool that I use on a daily basis.

Cons
Its power is also it's greatest challenge. It can be difficult to understand how it all works and how to best use it. They have an extensive training library, which is very helpful, but you'll still need to be prepared to put in the time to learn how to use it effectively. I've been using it for months and still consider myself a novice.

CHELSEA GLOSSER

Great product!

Reviewed 2019-02-22

I'm making it easier for my clients by providing them with recommendations for influencers that are much simpler to find thanks to using this tool!

Pros
I love BuzzSumo's ease of use with finding influencers. Especially when you're trying to find individuals who are in very niche industries and in specific locations, the target within Buzzsumo is extremely helpful and easy to use. I have found so many niche influencers who have YouTube channels and large social presences thanks to Buzzsumo.

Cons
It's hard for me to think about a "least" :) but I do wish BuzzSumo made influencer searching clearer with multiple social media platforms, and also aggregated individuals email addresses. That would be extremely useful!

Tom Whatley

Must-have for content research & distribution

Reviewed 2017-02-26

Pros
I use BuzzSumo for researching content topics, analyzing the competition and identifying outreach and backlinking opportunities. It's an integral part of the content marketing process here at Grizzle, both for internal use as well as clients.

Cons
Awesome influencer tools, but would love for it to go more in-depth. An influencer map that identifies networks of thought leaders, and who "influences" them for example. There are other tools for this, but having more granular insight via BuzzSumo would be awesome.

Kinga Odziemek

It simply has to be in your toolbox.

Reviewed 2018-05-23

Pros
Buzzsumo is a brilliant tool that can save you a lot of time, marketing efforts, stress and hassle. It is not even a tool, it is a machine that can get your content strategy back on track and inspire you on a daily basis. I hit the content jackpot not once and not twice thanks to Buzzsumo. Identifying what content works wonders has never been easier, and I can't imagine my everyday work without Buzzsumo.

Cons
I am trying to think of any cons, but I struggle to find them. Pricing may be a bit offputting, but Buzzsumo is totally worth it. Also, if it only had a mobile app, then my life would be complete. ;)

Anonymous

Great for finding influencers and popular content

Reviewed 2019-03-01

Pros
I like the influencer search feature the most. When looking for target influencers to add to media lists, searching on Instagram or Twitter alone is very difficult. BuzzSumo's search functionality allows you to narrow your search by city and specific words used in the influencers' bio.

Cons
It not longer counts social shares on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is one of the largest social platforms and a lot of informative articles are shared on this platform. It's odd to me that it counts social shares on all other platforms, but not LinkedIn. People actively have conversations on this platform and share content to validate their points.

Adam Schwartz

Awesome Product

Reviewed 2019-02-22

Couldn't be happier. Recommend to colleagues all the time and have no instituted at several companies.

Pros
Incredibly easy to use, especially for people new to or inexperienced with digital marketing.

Cons
They recently changed the order columns export to excel, which is kind of annoying.

Ben Perry

So good it's like cheating

Reviewed 2016-04-06

I've used BuzzSumo for almost a year as a way to find good content to post on social channels and also to find good ideas for articles to write. It's really so useful that it's like cheating when used to re-post articles on social. It tells you exactly what is trending today so you can be on point with your posts and get better engagement.

Pros
The app is super simple to use and fairly flexible. It's also priced decently for what you get.

Cons
The categories you choose from to see what's going on in a given industry sector are limited, so if they don't fit your niche then it may be hard to use that and it's one of the most useful features. There's a free form search but that's less useful for social posting, or more work anyway. The other thing is that I have a paid subscription and can't access some super useful features like what's trending in the past 8 hours vs. 24 hours because I don't have an "agency" level subscription. Usually apps provide collaboration features for that as opposed to de-featuring key components of the main app, but you can't have it all I guess.

Megan Grant

I'm obsessed with BuzzSumo!

Reviewed 2019-04-08

BuzzSumo is a must-have for anyone who works in content development or social media. I highly recommend it. It's easy to use and delivers invaluable information. It's one of my favorite tools.

Pros
I write for a living (and do a little social media), and BuzzSumo is my go-to tool to see what's relevant and trending. It's amazing for finding high-traffic topics and makes it SO easy to generate new content. Plus, you can organize findings by a specific social media platform, seeing where each article performs best.

Cons
NONE! My experience has been nothing but positive. I only wish I'd discovered it sooner.

Maria Rosario Tabora

Very helpful for finding influencers.

Reviewed 2018-12-18

Overall this software has helped us save time in finding influencers. Anyone who has worked in influencer marketing will understand how difficult it is to match with influencers close to their niche but BuzzSumo will help you focus on where to look and give you in-depth social details of the influencers and their content.

Pros
BuzzSumo is one of the many softwares I have tried which helped me a lot when it comes to finding influencers related to our niche. Its simple easy to use just enter a keyword and it will provide with a list of leads that matches the keyword. It even has a feature which allow you to search for the most shared online content.

Cons
Since the search feature is keyword based, sometimes the suggested site / content is totally not related to what I'm looking for.

Anonymous

Curate article for blogging easy and free

Reviewed 2019-01-14

I loved buzzsumo as a beginner in blogging. I found Free high quality articles to curate and could use them to start my blogging.

Pros
It is very easy to use,very much beneficial for beginners in blogging who are not expert in content writing. You can easily curate content with which are social media famous from buzzsumo. Lot functionalities like social media stats, filters are also available.

Cons
With free account you can only get very limited no of articles to curate. You need pro membership to access all articles.

Alex Mack

Good Software, But Could Be Great

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-03-01

Overall, BuzzSumo has helped a lot in my work as a digital editorial content creator, and I will continue to use it and hope it gets better and better. The addition of influencers was awesome, and I'm confident the team can continue to keep their product cutting-edge.

Pros
The tool is a great aggregator of content, and I like how the software ranks each link based on popularity. I also enjoy seeing what's trending overall, and find it very useful to identify influencers in a certain topic area. The design of the site is also very intuitive, good looking and easy to use.

Cons
You have to be very specific about the keywords you type to find the content you're looking for. I also don't think it pulls in everything, since I've found other popular content through simple Google searches > News. Wish the platform didn't have to be so precise in finding content, and also wish it would recommend topics based on what I was searching.

Ben Sailer

Excellent social and content research tool

Used occasionally for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2019-03-01

BuzzSumo helps us know what content is trending, find influencers, and uncover unlinked mentions. It can do much more than this, but these use cases alone are enough to make it worthwhile.

Pros
I feel that the obvious benefits of a tool like BuzzSumo (finding relevant influencers and trending content) are well-known and well-documented. One perhaps overlooked feature though is the ability to automate uncovering unlinked brand mentions around the web. This has helped us secure some powerful links in the past. Overall, BuzzSumo does what it says it will, and does it well.

Cons
There aren't many cons with BuzzSumo that I can think of. There hasn't been a time where I needed to use it for something and couldn't get it done easily enough.

Lairs Johnston

So good if you're using it

Reviewed 2019-09-09

I think it's a great tool if you're in content marketing!

Pros
It tracks the top content and sends it right to slack if you're using it. Follows the right pages and sites as well!

Cons
It almost does too much. I wish it was free but who doesn't, we all want good stuff for free. I also wish it wrote content for you ha

Anonymous

Great product for discovering what's trending in social

Reviewed 2019-03-05

Pros
I like the custom filters which I can set up for keywords and create RSS feeds out of it. They then go into our writer's RSS readers to ensure the most important stories are on the top.

Cons
Not much. I hope they improve their core purpose instead of trying to tackle every other problem.

Adam Singer

Amazing insights on social data

Reviewed 2019-03-08

Exceptional customer support and a product that offers immense value to anyone working professionally in content marketing or social media marketing.

Pros
I compulsively check what’s trending on social, but the real value comes in researching high value topics for content projects and influencers for networking and social outreach.

Cons
Some of the best features seem to require ever increasing price points. It’s a fair ask, but sometimes frustrating

Charlotte Wong

Great Analysis Tool

Reviewed 2019-02-24

As previously mentioned - the Facebook capabilities is a major pro for this tool! All whilst keeping in GDPR guidelines :-)

Pros
The tool itself allows for a quick insight into the performance of articles on social media - including Facebook which not many social listening tools can provide. It also allows you to deep dive into the drivers of Facebook engagement if published on a public page - super handy!

Cons
It’s chinese and kanji Japanese detecting capabilities are sometimes not accurate unfortunately. You also can’t filter by US accurately as it uses the (.us) filter domain - so manual filtering has to sometimes be done.

Andrew Plant

Great for shareable content discovery

Reviewed 2019-02-22

It helps us understand what content our customers need and who they associate with the information. Also, it is great for brand mentions into your inbox so these can be monitored.

Pros
This really helps us understand what people engage with and what they are actually looking for to solve their problems. Also, this tool helps us monitor brand mentions and understand who is saying what about us.

Cons
You need to learn the nav as it sometimes feels you go round in circles

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10