Cision

PR, marketing and media relations software

Cision Reviews

Jake T.

Finding the perfect outlets with accurate contact information to build our media lists for the pitching team has been the most reliable.

Shantel C.

I use Cision on a daily basis to reach out to the media with brand press releases. It is reliable and very user friendly.

Jacqueline F.

Cons

We paid for 1 release double of what we paid the agent in a whole month and we absolutely regret joining this service. It might work for other areas but for Mexico it absolutely does not work.

Horrifically bad value for money - our worst software purchase of 2017.

Your current editorial department is horrible.

ROBERT K.

3.9

One stop shop for PR professionals

Transcript

Heather: My name is Heather, I'm the director of communications, and I give Cision a five. For more reviews...

One stop shop for PR professionals

Use it as a daily tool for media and influencer outreach.

Pros

You get contact info from journalist that you wouldn't be able to find online. And they all have opted in. Great search tool to find new outlets and great monitoring service.

Cons

Expensive software but you are purchasing a lot of contact information. Great if you have a big PR initiative, otherwise it's hard to validate the expense

An integral tool for social media marketing

We have an opinion that this service is a great solution for social media marketing. It can help you to build new contacts, make researches and communicate with clients. Moreover, it is easy to use, so you need to try it for sure.

Pros

There is no doubt that Cision is a perfect tool for marketing. This service offers the easiest way to find a particular influencer. With a help of a special menu, you can choose a precise category and choose a proper category in order to get an exact outcome. Moreover, it offers to pick up a theme or a location in order to find a person that is connected with the same informational field as you do. Cision is a great service for social media marketing. It has a solid database, flexible and user-friendly interface and many useful tools for marketing. With its assistance, you can turn into reality different marketing strategies within a second.

Cons

Unfortunately, Cision isn’t perfect. An automated search doesn’t work properly, so you to rely only on your personal research. Despite the fact that Cision has a profound database, it still lacks the data itself. Sometimes, their researches can be a little bit slow and there is no chance to find a particular person that you really want to find. Moreover, if you don’t know the right name of the influencer, you won’t find him or her at all.

The megaphone your press release needs.

If you are needing to distribute your press releases to a wide spread audience, this is easily the number one way to do so. With an easy to use dashboard, their massive connections, and fantastic customer service.

Pros

The ability to live track press releases is a huge deal and presented in a clean easy to use dashboard. During setup, it's extremely easy to set up exactly what you want. A member of the team will call you to confirm that everything is exactly what you want before going live. The direct connection they have to massive news outlets makes this a crucial tool for press releases.

Cons

If you need a more defined and niche audience to be reached, the price could almost triple in some points. Which makes it unrealistic in most cases.

Quality of information gathering seems to have gone down

We use Cision to monitor media mentions and for their media database

Pros

I've used Cision on and off throughout my (long) career. It has always been 'on top of things'. I always felt it was innovative and did a good job of gathering media data.

Cons

I've found that the database isn't as user friendly as some of the other databases that are out there. I also have a subscription to a competitor and have found that Cision does not pull in the same articles as this competitor.

No longer the industry leader for media research

Every serious agency needs a media research tool in order to build and execute media relations campaigns; we're no exception. Media research is largely the only thing we've used from Cision. Our team has become disillusioned with how difficult it has become to create meaningful media lists. So much so that we're likely to transition away from Cision when our contract expires.

Pros

Cision has always been the gold standard for media research. The robust platform boasted hundreds of updates daily, and the media list output has been largely reliable.

Cons

Unfortunately, Cision either suffers from poor leadership, poor vision, a lack of care for its customers, or some combination of all the above. Aside from the fact that the results are no longer as reliable as they used to be, each and every update to the user interface has made the platform worse. The UX is not intuitive or easy to use. The customer service is not remarkable in any way. The technical support is a bit of a disaster.

A publicist's dream - perfect for researching media contacts

We use Cision for all of our pitching needs, and it's an invaluable tool for us. I've built lists for specific media campaigns using Cision's "covering..." function, and found niche outlets that I wouldn't have otherwise found. Overall, Cision is a great one-stop for most publicity needs.

Pros

I love how easy it is to look up an outlet and find the correct contact to reach out to with a particular pitch. It's also extremely easy to look up outlet circulations, which we research all of the time in order to maximize visibility. Cision is normally pretty up-to-date with different outlets, which is impressive in a constantly shifting media landscape.

Cons

Sometimes the search requirements can be a little too specific, and an outlet has to be typed in a very specific way to appear (i.e. with or without "the" in front, etc.) It'd be great if there were suggested terms, similar to Google, so that if you don't know the exact spelling of a last name you could still track down the contact.

Good if you're on a budget, but...

I'm so disappointed with all of the people I've encountered at Cision over the past 18 months.

Pros

This is a great affordable solution for those monitoring their media (and social media) mentions and you're on a budget.

Cons

1. The interface is clunky 2. Sometimes they miss monitoring sites that may be firewall/subscription protected 3. Customer services isn't the best - you are dependent on Cision to change the keywords you're monitoring for vs having the freedom to do it yourself. 4. Training was not clear. We went through it several times, and never received the same guidance. Very confusing. And when there were changes...

Pros

I like that you can populate targeted results very easily!

Cons

I wish the contacts were updated. I also wish we could edit lists once they are created.

Can't live with it, Can't live without it

When it comes to media databases, none are really amazing. Cision is one of the top contenders and a necessary evil for PR.

Pros

Cision works when you want to find a specific reporter's email; i.e. you know their name and publication. It's also helpful in figuring out the email formats of different publications.

Cons

It's not very intuitive. If you type in the name of an outlet, for example, all outlets that have any part of the words used in the query will appear. Results require a lot of manual sorting to figure out what is relevant to your search and what isn't.

Cision Review

We save research time and can build a contact list with ease.

Pros

Cons

The software is user-friendly and no technical complications have occurred. We use Cision every day.

I want to like it

I was actually the person who convinced my boss to purchase Cision for a start-up I was at in 2018. It was helpful, but I'm not sure if it was entirely worth the expense. In part, it was because I didn't have buy-in from necessary stakeholders and there was a significant time investment to sifting through to find contacts. In my current position, I inherited Cision from a predecessor. Again, I feel the money could be better spent elsewhere. Again, it's probably because less the platforms fault and more because we don't have the internal resources to fully dedicate to PR. I've always found the customer service there to be incredibly friendly and helpful.

Pros

The HARO subscription that comes with this product is incredibly handy. The contact database is useful, especially when I was trying to find blogs willing to review a new product.

Cons

The search felt a little cumbersome at times, and I've come across some outdated data. It's very labor intensive to sift through to find valuable contacts and establish a rapport with them. The software doesn't replace a PR professional with solid industry contacts. It bothers me that I can't set up my own listening devices and had to reach out to our rep any time I wanted to make a change. I've yet to come across anything in their that didn't pop up on other alerts I have set up in other platforms, so that piece of the software felt redundant for me.

Ok media database, good monitoring, and everything else is disappointing.

Ok media database, good monitoring, and everything else is disappointing.

Pros

The Cision database is fairly complete. If you know who you are looking for, you can usually find their name and contact information there. The news monitoring function — alerts which track news published online — does a fairly good job of giving me a heads-up about coverage. If you want to track coverage by source type against particular names or keywords, Cision monitoring will sometimes produce sources that Google alerts will not, and it will usually beat the alerts by a day or so.

Cons

Reporter discovery is hard. Beat designations within Cision seem very rudimentary and “thick”— reporters listed as “Technology,” for instance, might cover “artificial intelligence” or “embedded analytics” or “machine learning” or some combination of the three. Given the fact that an off-beat pitch can easily result in a communications representative being added to a reporter’s spam list, it’s critical...

A solid tool

Would recommend Cision for capturing media coverage.

Pros

I use Cision at least on a weekly basis to search for media coverage for a multitude of clients. What a lifesaver. It does an amazing job to find media coverage worldwide and some stuff on social media.

Cons

It takes a while to set up for each client. Thank god that Cision support helps with this. Sometimes connecting with your Cision rep is difficult and takes time. Their social media coverage needs some work but they have made strides.

Still the Industry Leader

Again, Cision still rules the field. Having had experience with several other similar platforms I can say that it remains the most reliable product out there to get the job done.

Pros

While many will say that the platform is a bit dated, Cision remains the gold standard in its field. The reliability, usability, and overall data quality makes me an extremely satisfied customer. Cision certainly excels at obtaining contact information and list building.

Cons

Cision's data analysis could be better. I often find myself using a service like Netbase to get deeper data concerning "what" people are saying exactly.

Used it during Vocus/Cision transition

Pros

Access to tens of thousands of journalists is useful as a PR practitioner. It also does a great job of tracking insights like tone and monitoring where your organization appears in the news.

Cons

We constantly found journalists who hadn't been at their newspaper for over two years. Contact information is frequently outdated. The cost is practically that of a full-time employee. The PRWeb newswire they advertise frequently sends releases to websites with zero traffic, but counts it as a hit. And while their analytics are useful, I'd often go back to a prior month and run the same search string as before and be returned different numbers than the first time. It's hard to trust data that doesn't remain constant.

Quick, easy to use, impactful

Pros

As a PR professional, Cision is vital to me. I use it everyday and it can be a huge help in identifying targets across the globe. They are always updating the platform and making it easy to save and search lists.

Cons

I don't like how when you use the quick search, having the right spacing of the publication name is important to finding the publication. Additionally, cision will sometimes kick you out of the platform while you are working on lists and those lists wont get saved and you have to start all over. The look and feel of the platform is a little outdated and could use a refresh.

Cision for your Media Needs

Have been using CISION for years, back when it was VOCUS. It's my go-to, use-every-day tool that helps me keep track of media placements and what I use for media distribution given that CISION is the only such tool that gives me access to both PRWeb and PRNewswire.

Pros

Great for doing research on publications, writers, etc., and superb tool for media release distribution.

Cons

Cost. It's a great tool, but not inexpensive.

Great features

Constantly improving experience for customers and would recommend.

Pros

Reporter database constantly updated, new features including social accounts and connections to other reporters covering similar topics are great

Cons

Sometimes can be hard to find niche outlets or outlets without clearly defined roles for staff to pitch

Cision review

My company can distribute materials in a broad and efficient manner thanks to Cision!

Pros

I like that Cision stores journalists information in a neat and efficient manner, making it easy to personally reach out and mass distribute public relations material.

Cons

I don't like that Cision's contact information can be outdated.

Good tool for media contacts.

You need the contacts, Vocus has them.

Pros

Lots of great media contacts for all categories from technology to finance, consumer products to juvenile goods and everything in between.

Cons

It's expensive. I get that it is hard to keep these lists current with all the movement and magazine closings...

Cision does the work for you

We did a lot of manual grind searching in Google and Bing for opportunities, Cision has helped us quicken that process without worrying if we had a good resource to reach out to or not.

Pros

The ability to reach out and find people for link ops or for content ops is amazing. The reach and database they have built for this is impressive. We've done several "expert pieces" for clients and the fact we can use this to curate the content we have has sped up our process. Cision's quality of reporters is also nice to trust. We know they don't let just anyone in their database and it allows us to pick and chose who we want to work with.

Cons

It's pricey, but you pay for the high quality of resources which benefits you and your clients in the long run.

Great database and ability to filter contacts

Powerful list building and monitoring capabilities

Pros

Cision put monitoring, and outreach together in one platform and made it easy to build media lists of relevant contacts

Cons

I was using an older version of Cision (CisionPoint) which was very slow, but this appears to have been fixed in the new cloud platform. Not intuitive or easy to fix search terms (again I think this has been updated)

The Only Press Release Tool Worth The Time & Money

Cision is an excellent partner for releasing, disributing and getting visibility for press releases. Our news feels seen - in the best way possible - and feels like we have a very effective partner in Cision.

Pros

Cision makes users feel like their press releases and news are being seen and heard by the correct audiences and that such press releases actually make some waves - we have consistenly seen feeback, outreach and other traffic when posting to and using Cision.

Cons

My only complaint with Cision is that their internal search can sometimes qualify or disqualify press releases for certain topics/categories/indsutries into diferent baskets and categories than they ought to belong to, but this has a seemingly minimal impact on a campaign's overall performance.

Time saver boon for media database build-up

Pros

Cision is an invaluable asset when it comes to building media databases quickly and effectively. I manage public relations across different countries, and this tool helps me save a considerable amount of time and resources. Not only it provides journalists' names, contact details, interests and social media accounts: Cision also offers outlet stats, including readership and ad rates, as well as editorial opportunities. A great aid when it comes to pitching the right story to the right journalist.

Cons

Cision's database is vast but it's not complete. Not all media contacts are actually working and updated, so there's a certain probability to get few bounce emails. Another minus is that it does not provide a list of the journalists' latest published articles - a functionality offered by Cision's competitors, which is extremely helpful when pitching to the media -.

Cision Platform Review

The benefits I received are the open & click rates of my new releases. So if I notice that one of my important editors didn't open it it allows me to resend to that editor.

Pros

The ease of the platform is extremely good! The on-board training I received from account manager was extremely through. Also, sending out emails are very easy.

Cons

I don't really have any cons about the platform.