DONATION Reviews

DONATION

Donation management software for small to midsize churches

DONATION

Review Summary

Pros

I even got my Dad, a treasurer at his small church in Eastern Canada, to use it and he is a true fan as well. Just an outstanding program, easy to use, and the customer service is top notch.

Karen H.

I have used Donation at our church for over five years and I highly recommend it. This program is very clear and easy to use, their customer service is excellent and the price is great.

Caroline E.

Dan Cooperstock seems to be very familiar with the not for profit sector and what we are trying to do. He has produced an excellent piece of software at a great price with great service.

May h.

Robert V.

Ken C.

Even past years were available if needed to reprint receipts. The only downside relates to the set up of categories (for our various cause collections) which we had to do a couple of times.

Robert P.

Great program

It gives us a place to combine our info about all of our donations, donor base and allows us to group them as to the type of resource - be it a church, a business, individual, and even lets us categorize the types of payment.

Pros

The program is easy to use, mostly self-explanatory and logical. If help is needed the help is there in short order. Very comprehensive program.

Cons

I can't complain about anything so I don't have an entry for this section.

DONATION by Software4NonProfits

We track donations/offerings for our church. While the program does handle pledges, our church does not make pledges. We merely track donations in the form of cash or cheques or e-transfers. For this purpose, I HIGHLY recommend this program!

Pros

I tried a few programs early on in my time as treasurer (which is 17 years now), including Quickbooks and Donarius. I found Donation much easier to use than Donarius. Our needs are fairly straightforward and Donation allows for easy multiple donation entries for a given day. Also, the support has been great. Every question I've ever asked was answered usually within 24 hours. They even added features to the program at my request!

Cons

This program is really meant for tracking donations only. It's not meant to be a complete CRM system, so some folks may find it limited in that regard.

Great for Small Charities

Easily tracks donations and produces tax receipts

Pros

Easy to use with some flexibility. CRA compliant. Inexpensive.

Cons

Not cloud based. Better reporting and report options

We are a bit surprised at how low some of these ratings are and have written to the user for clarification. In particular we have never received any tech support inquiries from them for assistance with reporting, which is really quite comprehensive and flexible according to most of our users. We also have a partly cloud-based version, with the program installed but your data on our server.

Excellent, easy to use Donation System

The DONATION software is reliable, does the job it was designed for, with ease. Also, the customer service is second-to-none, and any questions are dealt with quickly and efficiently.

Pros

This software is reliable and easy to use. The customer service is excellent.

Cons

There is nothing that I think is missing from this software.

You can't go wrong

Pros

Donation is a very simple program to use. It will print out your receipts, thank you letters, and year-end tax statements for your donors. The learning curve is very short in all areas but one. Their tech support is quick. The cost is very reasonable. There are updates throughout the year and as long as you pay the yearly maintenance fee the problem will be always up to date.

Cons

Is can be difficult to set up your thank you letters. There are templates that you can edit, but it does not always follow correctly.

Thank you for this great review, Sue. In our experience, the only time mail-merge documents get seriously messed up is if you edit them in Microsoft Word, which can somehow make the merge fields not work. Other than that it's pretty much what you see is what you get. If you have further our outstanding problems with mail-merge letters don't hesitate to contact us for support.

Great way to start

As a long term minister who worked as a missionary, I am often approached by people starting out. Cost at that point is critical - donation lite allows up to 100 donors free. This "buys time" as the ministry tries to establish itself. The software is easy and intuitive - on the other hand, support is $20 a year if needed. I never did, not have others I have helped.

Pros

It's simple, you can be up, running and inputting data in less than an hour. There is a trial/free version for small non-profits.

Cons

The free version has many useful features disabled. None the less it has enough for a small mission or unipersonal ministry to start.

Thanks William. Just to clarify, in addition to the entirely free Lite version (unless you need support after the first month), there is also a free 60-day evaluation period for all of the other full-featured versions.

Using a ledger and excel spreadsheet VERY time consuming and this has simplified everything

Pros

ease of data input the reports program they have kept it simple but with many programs within it at an affordable cost simple but detailed.

Cons

not sure if I have one could use more choices in date of input categories so you can run specific reports for those of us who can't do SQL set up.

Thank you for this review, Bill. I'm not sure I understand the listed Con - many built-in reports allow for selection on a range of dates, and optionally on a donation category. Further selection can be done with Filter expressions, a fairly simple feature that does not require SQL. In fact, writing SQL is only required for the most unusual situations, by far fewer than 1% of our users. If you would like to explain where you are finding limitations in report selection, I'm quite sure we could explain how to do what you want. (The Help topic Filtering Reports will be very helpful.) You can contact us further directly by email.

Excellent and Affordable Product!

Overall, my experience has been very positive. We have been using DONATION since 2012 and keep renewing!

Pros

DONATION is very easy to use, is affordable and has fantastic help files when you need them. Additionally, our administrative office houses two separate agencies and we are able to have two separate agencies in the same system for the same price. When entering a donation we simply have to choose the agency and the system does the rest.

Cons

In the beginning I had difficulty adding the electronic signature and logo, but I think they have improved these features.

Makes keeping track of Church donations easy.

Provided a well designed database to replace a spreadsheet. Ease of data entry.

Pros

Able to enter donations based on date received as well as by donor. Produces report at end of financial year for treasurer and for tax reclaim. Able to import donations given directly to bank via editing a spreadsheet download from the bank.

Cons

As based in Canada and USA does not quite fit UK system, although accounting year is now possible based on UK fiscal calendar.

Using Donation

Pros

Easy to set up. Cost effective. Multiple users possible. Good support. Not too difficult for folks with little computer skills.

Cons

I cannot really say what I like least - I dislike technology and am not very tech savvy, so I have issues with all software, but his one is pretty easy to learn!

Donation Program from Software4Nonprofits

An exceedingly good program. I have been using it since 2014 and would not consider any other program. Excellent support! No flaws that I have encountered. Strongly recommended! There are many reports available within the program, probably all that anyone would need, but if you would like some other report it is not too difficult to create one and it can be memorized for future use. We are not currently using the Accounts program, because the church treasurer prefers to use QuickBooks, with which he is more familiar. I have used Accounts for several months and personally found it to be excellent. I would recommend both programs.

Pros

Ease of use, very good reports, excellent and very fast support from Dan Cooperstock who developed the software. You don't communicate with someone working at a distant call centre, it is either Dan Cooperstock or Kwame Barko who answer your questions.

Cons

There is nothing I do not like.

Perfect Fit

After searching ( and I do mean SEARCHING) the internet for an easy to use, to-the-point software for recording charitable giving, I ran across Donation software created by Dan Cooperstock. I wasn't looking for a membership program, and I didn't need to record everyone's birthdates, groups, and blood types. I also wasn't interested in paying an arm and a leg. Donation software has been a blessing....

Donation Software Very Suitable

There are many features I have not investigated as they have not been my priority. If you think of one, it is probably already implemented. I find it a good program for tracking our church's donations.

Pros

* This software is simple to install and get you started on data entry. * It grows on you as you become more familiar with it's operation. * It is versatile in that it can be used for several entities. i.e. we have a Mission Church in Toronto which is part of our ministry and the records for that ministry can be separated or integrated into our overall book-keeping. * It has a quick data entry feature...

Cons

* I'm reluctant to give access to another operator as I have slight fear it may be hard to find errors in data entry. My motto is: If you want it done right, do it yourself. * Reports require some programming knowledge to filter reports.

Directly addresses the exact needs of a church treasurer - without unneeded complications.

Saves time and provides peace of mind.

Pros

No doubt, ending year including receipting and starting next year. Or maybe correcting errors from year ended. Or maybe notifications and changes as required from changes to Revenue Canada. Or maybe the immediate response when needed.

Cons

Sometimes it opens with a dialogue that my subscription is not up to date. Knowing it is, I close and reopen and proceed....

Thanks for the lovely review, Kevin! If the program starts with a message that your subscription isn't up to date, but it is, that just means that you need to request an updated license key through the program, which will tell it that you are in fact up to date. We explain that in our email responses to payments.

Great-Easy to Use Program!

I love this program. I am the administrator for 3 non-profit businesses. This program is very user friendly. It has a great 'help' section. The program developer/administrator is very quick to respond to my questions and very easy to work with. I could not be happier with the program and their service.

Pros

Easy to use and understand

Cons

I really have not found one.

Simple & easy to use donor receipting program.

It is easy to learn & great for small nonprofits with limited resources. Can be used immediately for receipt.

Pros

Straightforward database program with some flexibility in producing receipts. Easy-to-use - effective to grow with your organization.

Cons

Some technical expertise is required for using mail merge & using your receipt formats. Older database type program that is only available on local computer or networked computer.

Thank you for this review, Mark. I should also point out that our new Web Network Version allows you to have your database on our server, with the program still installed on your Windows computer, for easier sharing over the Internet.

Peter's Review

I would highly recommend this product to anyone who is looking to try a new program or have never used software to record their givings.

Pros

Although I have used other software programs in the past that I considered to be good, I feel this program (DONATION) is first rate and easy to set up. It is also extremely easy to be able to add new names or categories without any hassle. Apparently our church never used a software program before I became treasurer and the comments that I received were all very positive, including the layout of the receipt.

Cons

Right now I also do a spread sheet format of the givings to the church. I have not been able to see how I can do this through the program. I now write everything down before converting to the spreadsheet. If there is no way of being able to do this quicker I may change my format for 2010. Right now I am entering the amounts by envelope number and record on my spreadsheet alphabetically. So in 2010 I probably will change the spreadsheet to envelope numbers as well.

Have been using Donation for 5 years!

Donation is a database program that manages donors and their donations to charities. I have found the program relatively easy to setup and train volunteers to use. It provides a professional look to tax receipts. Backups, corrections and updates are easily made. Integration with other programs (mail merge) is a little more difficult and the search engine is very powerful but has a steep learning curve. The look of the interface is a little bland. Our agency has been using Donations since its early days as freeware and we like it.

Cons

Just to be clear, the mail-merge features in the program are entirely within the program - no third-party programs, such as a word processor, are involved or required. I'm not sure exactly what Klaus is referring to as the "search engine". Basic searching by donors is very easy, with two levels of searching available. He may be thinking of the feature for filtering reports, to further restrict them beyond whatever limits they prompt for (like a date range for donations). That is admittedly a bit potentially complex, but there's a video on the web page http://www.software4nonprofits.com/demos.htm going over it, and a detailed help page about it.

The best small investment our church has ever made!

We have been using Donation since December 2009. As our new church treasurer, I was searching for ways to avoid hand-writing our tax receipts, which had taken our previous volunteers hours and hours each year. Donation is easy to learn (I've trained two other people in how to enter the Sunday's offering, both very novice computer users, and they've had no troubles), and we now have many pre-authorized...

Cons

Excellent Program, Simple to Use, Meets all Donation Tracking needs of almost any Ministry

Overall: I have been using DONATION for at least 6 years, with a number of different ministries, after using several other donations/church membership packages. This is by far the simplest, most straight forward program for donation tracking/receipting since the days of the old DOS program "ChurchMouse". Pros: 1. It is simple and uncomplicated, doing only what it is designed to do - track and...

Software4Nonprofits

I have used this software for a number of years. It has steadily been improved and simplified. A quick call or email to Dan, is solve quickly and simply. The reports that are generated from the single entry screen are exceptionally useful and flexible. As a retired auditor as well as not for profit treasurer they are easy to use and provide all the info needed. The fact that one entry screen can provide all of this info has saved me many hours. Included is a letter to donors that can be modified to suit all purposes but is probably it's one week spot. It is still not intuitive to generate and use. In spite of this one weakness I do not hesitate to recommend it to all, especially at it's low cost.

Cons

The mail-merge letters feature in DONATION is indeed its most complex feature. Unfortunately, mail-merge is just a complex concept, so it¿s hard to make it completely simple. I have asked the user whether he has any specific suggestions for improvements. There are several videos on the Demos and Samples page on the website demonstrating how to use the mail-merge features, which users seem to find quite helpful.

I've used DONATION for almost ten years, and have been VERY pleased in every respect.

Quick, easy entry and tracking of donations, with ample reports and good annual receipt production.

Pros

Contribution entry is amazingly efficient - quick and easy. Support is great, and personal! Reports and receipts are simple to produce, and various methods are available for customizing both.

Great Product!

Easy to get up and running. Creating tax receipts is a breeze. Our Fundraising Committee also uses the software to create mail merges as Donation also serves as our database. Support is excellent through the Help section and videos. Amazing how fast customer service replies to questions that I have directed to him. We don't use the Account software as I am familiar with QuickBooks.

Pros

Ease of use. Frequent updates. Tech support (Help/videos/personalized support)

Cons

None

A recent user's review

This is not a comprehensive review. I'm a recent user and still exploring the possibilities. But the use I have had so far is outstanding. The program can be tailored to be area specific e.g. English and French in Canada and adaptable to print different tax receipts for different types of donations as required by Canada Revenue Agency (IRS to folks below the 49th). The receipts , mailing labels...

Software4Nonprofits.com

Comments from our Volunteer on the Donations program: I sure have liked working with this program. The program that I used when I first started looking after Prayer Canada's donations was on a floppy disk. When the computers were upgraded, it would no longer work, as they didn't upgrade their program. We came up with another program that was not that easy to use. We looked around a lot for a program...