All categories
DonorSnap

Contact database and donor management tools for fundraisers

visit website

DonorSnap Reviews

Pros

I love how user friendly this system is and how we are able to track our donors giving amounts year after year. DonorSnap has great reports you can pull for just about anything you need.

Rashell E.

Now, five years later, DonorSnap was able to grow and our needs increased. They offer excellent training although most of our needs are met with the robust help offered on each page.

Marty T.

Mary L.

Cons

Our biggest problem is not with DonorSnap. Until recently, we have been an all volunteer (no employees) non-profit and finding a volunteer to maintain DS has been difficult.

Grant C.

I hate that the lists of fields are not in any logical order. Fields are very difficult to find and searching for the field I want wastes time.

Barb P.

It is slow and several of the buttons make no sense. It is hard to create a new contact when you are in a screen searching for a contact that does not come up.

Sue Q.

DonorSnap Best Solution for SMALL nonprofit

Fabulous, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is amazing, the support team is responsive and I have hopefully sold a new user, another Fisher House group like mine.

Pros

When I was researching, I was pleased to get such quick response and favorable reviews from current testimonials. The pricing is great, implementation and conversion realistic with cost and timeframes, and features are perfect for our size organization. I like being able to target customers through reports and then send emails/texts. Integration with QB is a huge plus! Responsive forms automatically entering new donors is also a time saver.

Cons

I would like inbound text (text to donate specifically) but more importantly, the ability to upload document attachments from the software. Scanning them, naming them and then adding them is very time consuming. I use handwritten notes to donors and like to capture them for future reference so they don't originate from a document that can be PDF.

Well worth the price tag

Easy and seamless because I tried to learn and conceptualized how each field in Donorsnap work first before mapping fields from the old system. Conversion and support team were very helpful and prompt in responding to issues.

Pros

Very inexpensive but can do all the basic functionalities for advancement day to day operations. Batch entry is so easy once you understand how it works. Query, reporting and exporting custom reports is very user friendly. As with all other systems, a software is only capable to it’s fullest potential if you understand how the various modules within the system work together. Training and support is crucial and their customer support is hands-on one of the best.!

Cons

The standard reports work for the most part but I wish it gives us much more flexibility. It also limits selection of fields based on active fields/codes which means that you’ll have to basically leave all codes - old and new - for the report to work accurately. This means for example that if you inactivate a Campaign code from 2 or 3 years ago, you are not able to run revenue from those codes unless you reactivate them. This is a nightmare for admins from a table code management point. The design of the standard reports need to be improved as well to look presentable especially when executives ask for last minute reporting and you know how often that happens.

Hi Catherine, Thank you for your review and feedback regarding the standard reports. We're currently working on improving these canned reports to offer additional functionality. If you have more specific reporting needs in addition to including inactivated campaign codes, please let our support team know so that we can work towards making that happen. Thank you again for your review!

Great basics, but communucation tools lacking or are too generic

Sales, data transfer, and workshops have been good. I feel like the staff does its best to fully answer questions and solve problems. But with the overall limitations of the communications functions, there's only so much they can do.

Pros

The client database is straightforward and easy to use. The fields are intuitive and you can adapt or add per your own needs. Screen layout when searching can be tough because of long rows but pulling up individual contacts is easy. I love that you can copy data right from the viewing screen without having to open the editable contact. The help features are user friendly and usually address the most common problems. I like that there are videos as well as written materials on various topics.

Cons

The communication tools are sorely lacking. Email, letters, and forms are way too basic and challenging to edit. There does not seem to be a feature allowing you to change line spacing within a form or in the Automated Task Manager. In addition, I had to keep canceling the project and restarting because after one attempt to edit an ATM task, the system won't let you make additional edits. You have...

Hi Cass, Thank you for your review. We are always working on ways to improve DonorSnap and appreciate your feedback. We understand that dedicated email tools like MailChimp have polished template builders, and for that reason we provide an integration with Constant Contact for organizations needing those services. The DonorSnap email tools are aimed at providing easy access to mass emailing and...

Happy Client

I would describe my overall experience with DonorSnap as very positive. We are able to do many gift processing functions (recording donations, sending thank you letters) quickly and easily. I am building more complete donor profiles with the tools. We are now able to run reports and set up mailing and prospect lists consistently. The e-commerce feature and the responsive forms allow us to set up online ticket purchasing, registrations, and donations. This has been a critical tool for us.

Pros

We are a small nonprofit in a rural community in Oregon. DonorSnap is our first donor database system after years of Excel spreadsheets. I am so happy with how I can use it to record donor history, build contact profiles, run reports, pull lists and keep track of solicitations, conduct mass email campaigns, build responsive forms for online giving, and add notes. I don't feel we have utilized all...

Cons

I haven't found anything I don't like about DonorSnap. There are some 'canned' reports that make it easy to use DonorSnap but I like to make custom reports too. I still need help with the report writing feature in the DataMiner Platinum since I am still learning. I'd like to master it better but know the team is there to help me get it right. Also, when we use the responsive forms sometimes DonorSnap doesn't recognize the patron as already having a record in the system and duplicates have occurred. I'm learning how to match and set up the forms to allow for smoother integration when we post the online gift or purchase. There is a tool to merge duplicate records so we have found that helpful. This is not a software problem but more of a user inexperience problem.

Best Customer Service

I love DonorSnap - from the functionality, to the simple/customizable dashboard appearance, to the top notch support team and weekly trainings!

Pros

The software is self explanatory and easy to navigate day to day function. They customer service blows any other company out of the water! They are quick, responsive, and reliable. Having an issue? The team will make you a custom step by step video in your individual database. I thought I would need phone support but their team is SO quick and thorough via email that I feel more supported by email than I ever did with a previous database company by phone. Free weekly training are the icing on the cake for a great database system.

Cons

The process to access reports/certain information can be very time consuming until you are 100% comfortable with it. There are a LOT of steps to run a simple report. DonorSnap is a bit ore DIY than I am comfortable with, ex. building my own forms. DataMinorPlatinum still scares me after 8 months of playing with it.

Not User Friendly

Overall experience is that it served a purpose for us while we needed it. But, I am thankful we switched to a more user friendly platform. I voiced my concerns to them several times and never had any feedback. The best part of it was the customizable dashboard.

Pros

The only positive was that fact that it is a Donor relations management /record keeping at a fair price.

Cons

The initial import was not easy. We were also told we would not have to make journal entries because it integrated great with QuickBooks, that was not the case. For what we needed it for, the import/export was very complicated and had lots of bugs. The reports are not easy to pull information. Data Miner Platinum is not user friendly and should not be so confusing. Mailing reports are cumbersome. You cannot customize letters and emails with your logo. The support side also had a lot to be desired. Anytime we needed help we were referred to a video that was just as confusing. The responsive forms were VERY cumbersome to make and took way too much time. It was just too much time administrative wise.

Must have for Non-Profit

Use the incredible customer service. They made excellent suggestions to customize the site and make it work for our school. Take the webinars. Watch the help videos. I have loved the search feature for looking up check numbers that may have gotten out in the wrong name. I love the fast and extremely helpful customer service. It's also very adaptive to each business. I have used it for nearly 8 years and am still learning new features. There are a ton of reports and ways to customize it. Don't be afraid to ask DonorSnap how to make it work for what you need. They will definitely help.

Pros

It's a highly intuitive program. It's very easy to use. Love the ease of receipting and setting up reminders. I love the ability to email both monthly receipts and year-end contribution statements. The customer service is the best. There are a ton of training videos on the website that are all free to use. They also have many free webinars. You can also reach out with any question and they are very responsive and help you through your problems right away. They also just introduced a new feature where you can send texts to your donor base. I have not had much experience but it was very easy to set up.

Cons

I found this very easy to use and honestly there are not a lot of things I find wrong with Donor Snap. I recommend it to people all the time!

Know and Nurture Your Donors!

We had been tracking all of our donor information in QuickBooks, which is really not designed to be a donor management system. Anecdotal information about our donors was stored in memories, and occasionally downloaded to a spreadsheet. We really needed something that would allow us to thank our donors immediately, document background about them, understand relationships between them, and track our interactions with them. We are a very small nonprofit, and needed something affordable as well. DonorSnap has definitely met our needs.

Pros

DonorSnap has vastly improved our ability to know our donors better and to interact with them on a more regular basis. Knowledge about our donors and their relationships to others in the organization is now shared across the organization--rather than maintained in the memories of the board president and the artistic director. DonorSnap allows us to immediately acknowledge a donor's gift, and to track other interactions with our donors. The software is easy to use and is very intuitive. The customer support is outstanding. The live training is excellent, and the recorded webinars and support website are terrific.

Cons

We really haven't found any issues with this software. There are a few things we wish were a little different--for example, on the dashboard apps, we'd like the donation totals to be donations only, not event tickets, but we understand they chose to code it this way based on the majority of their clients' feedback. Overall, we're very happy.

Great value and customization options

So glad we found donorsnap and have been a happy customer for more than 7 years!

Pros

Fully customizable reports, easy to use, great value, exports data easily, multiple software integrations, automates gift receipting.

Cons

The UI could be improved and could be more mobile friendly.

Powerful and Easy to Use

It has been great! The initial training was excellent and the support is quick and effective.

Pros

We have been able to customize DonorSnap to exactly what we need. The ability to add fields has been the key to our success with the product.

Cons

While the report writer is very powerful, it has a steep learning curve. Once you are familiar with how data are stored in DonorSnap is becomes much easier to write effective reports. I'd like to see an ODBC connection between DonorSnap and Excel. It would make it possible to provide real time reporting of our metrics during our pledge drives.

Great Product

We are able to keep everything, donors, contacts, donations, correspondence organized, and create reports when needed. Tech support is knowledgeable and always there when needed. Being able to adjust and manipulate the layout and add or take away what works for the organization is wonderful, it's like building your own personal database, and you can't beat the price.

Pros

Excellent for keeping track of donations, contact information, and correspondence with donors. It is user-friendly for the most part, but easy access to the instructional videos really helps when needed.

Cons

It would be nice to be able to contact support by phone, but all in all the support with DonorSnap is very helpful and responds to inquiries very quickly via email. I would really love it if the database was able to integrate with PayPal so I wouldn't have to enter each donation individually, or worry that another user might miss a donation entry or detail. Reports could be a little more user-friendly to create.

Hi Teresa, Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying DonorSnap and finding it user friendly. While we don't integrate with PayPal, users who collect online donations with PalPal can easily upload these into DonorSnap using our excel import tool. Here you can find out how to use this feature: https://donorsnap.com/support/docs/mass-entry/?seq_no=3 I...

How DonorSnap is helping us organize our contacts and supporting our fundraising program

Before DonorSnap, our contacts were not well organized and our financial reporting was manual. It is such a relief to be able to run reports and know that our donations are accurately recorded. It has already helped our fundraising efforts and I fully expect that will improve over time. We also switched our online donations from Paypal to goEmerchant without too much difficulty. I was even able to send our first mass email which was pretty impressive both for me and St. Vincent's! I have to say this was a huge learning curve for me but it has all worked out so well.

Pros

DonorSnap is very user friendly even for people who are not familiar with donor management systems. The support they provide is excellent, from one on one advice to the online training sessions. There is an answer for every challenge. The cost is excellent for the service. The software developers seem to have thought through all possible scenarios and provided a program to help small to medium organizations manage their contacts. I love being able to print acknowledgement letters from the program as soon as the donation is entered into the system and, for the first time ever, we can send year end contribution reports to all our donors.

Cons

While there are many reports available to use, the customized reports through DataMiner Platinum can be a little confusing. For me this is more a question of understanding how to write a query and get it right. As I am a relatively new user, I am still exploring what the program offers so there are far more things to like than not.

Complex Needs Met

Spreadsheets are gone! Before utilizing DonorSnap we had many places things were kept. We had numerous methods for tracking the same data and it was difficult to get thank you letters to donors and fundraising addresses updated and tracked. We needed what DonorSnap has to offer. We are still learning of new ways to utilize the tools it has and with its collaborative relationships for a credit card processor (goEmerchant), with Constant Contact, and Intuit, then the ability to create forms to integrate with your website. We are now re-developing our website and working to fully utilize the abilities of DS in our non-profit.

Pros

I love that I have the ability to customize the screens and that I can build forms to meet our needs.

Cons

The needs of a non-profit with donations and memberships are complex and had been managed poorly before this software was in use. The learning curve is long and complex and it is because the functions are complex as is needed with the type of needs we have.

DonorSnap is a great investment

I have been thrilled with DonorSnap.

Pros

DonorSnap has made a huge impact on the organization of our donor records and efficiency of our organization. We are a very small operation, with only 2 part time staff and a part time bookkeeper. Prior to our investment in DonorSnap, we were using excel spreadsheets. It was a nightmare and very stressful that we would lose our data. DonorSnap has allowed us to understand our donors better and plan...

Cons

There are a few limitations to the reporting capabilities. We are on a different fiscal year (starts Feb 1) which makes some reporting difficult because it is not as easy to run a report and adds another step to reporting. In addition, I have not found a way to do acknowledgement letters to Fundholders to let them know we have received a gift to their fund easily. I have created a work around that...

This is an excellent database platform. Not flashy, but very sufficient for our needs.

Pros

This database does everything we need it to and more. We're a smaller non-profit with 1500 donors. The database makes searching for information and pulling reports simple while providing all the details we need. The BEST part of DonorSnap is their incredible customer support team. They've never taken more than a few minutes to respond to email questions with clear and concise answers. They answer in a way that not only gives you what you need, but teaches you how to find it next time. This team is really on top of their game. Our organization also just launched the new partnership DonorSnap has with goEmerchant for our online giving and feedback from our donors has been very positive. Nice to have it all in one system.

Cons

This software is not flashy or polished. Then again it doesn't have a premium price tag. Once you learn the software though you'll find it has everything most people need to successfully manage an organizations donors/volunteers/etc. I think there are a few functions that would be great to add, but honestly, when I've asked the support team - 2/3 of the time they are already working on that next new feature! For example - one area that is lacking is regional donor search features. We have donors all across the country and when I go visit a certain area it would be great to search for all donors within 50 miles of a certain zip code for example.

David, Thank you so much for the feedback. Regarding the proximity report... we actually have this ready to go on our testing site. It will go live in the next batch of updates. You'll see that option in DataMiner Platinum by adding the zip code field to the query builder. Let us know how it meets your needs!

This database does everything you need for a low price

We were able to centralize all of our school's donation records. We can quickly and easily generate reports of all types - no limits on customizable reports. I can allow donors and alumni to update their own contact info. I can easily mass enter gifts and do mass uploads as well. It is a great system.

Pros

I have worked with bigger and much more expensive databases at past jobs, and I always ran into problems that were unsolvable within the system - reports I needed that it couldn't generate, no ability to mass upload things, or something along those lines. Donorsnap has thought of EVERYTHING. And for such a minimal monthly price. I was recently at a fundraising professionals meeting, and someone in...

Cons

Like all software, there is a learning curve. You have to figure out how to do the things you want to do - reports, imports, eforms, etc. One time, I had to import hundreds of gifts made on another platform, and get them to match up to the right donor records already in our database. It was quite the conversation with customer service as I learned how to do this, and it wasn't something I hope to have to do often. But it was possible to do it, without manually entering each gift! Which I can't say would be true for all databases. They have built in a ton of flexibility to this database.

DonorSnap Easy & Efficient

Pros

DonorSnap is a small company that gives big service! I really appreciate that I can ask for help and receive a response in a timely fashion (usually within just a couple of hours or sooner). One of the reasons we went with DonorSnap was because they offered a lot of what larger companies offered, but at far less the cost. While they didn't have all the bells and whistles, they didn't pretend to either....

Cons

I wish there was a better way to show "InKind" donations on a report. Currently, they look the same as a cash donation.

Satisfied

I've been very satisfied with DonorSnap. We had spreadsheets prior to installing DonorSnap. There has been somewhat of a learning curve, but once you master what you want to get out of the system, it works.

Pros

In my opinion, DonorSnap is a robust product that provides excellent functionality. For our small organization it meets all our needs. This system will do much more than I'm capable or implementing or have the time to build and implement. There's more engine under the hood than most people will ever really need. But that to me is the beauty of it. It's there if you want or need it. It's solid. It works. Support is Excellent. Very responsive. They know the system. I'm very impressed with their support. They also have a wide range of training videos and live webinars to help you.

Cons

Comparing DonorSnap to other similar products, it is not flashy. If you're looking for flash, DonorSnap may not be what you want. If you like lots of colorful graphs, DonorSnap probably isn't for you. If you want a product that, at least for us, provides a broad array of options to track donor information and you don't care about a fancy front end, then DonorSnap may be what you're looking for.

Improved our management immeasurably

I have cut down the amount of time I spend on our donor filing substantially. This is especially important because all the work I do for my organization is voluntary.

Pros

I organize donor files for a small, entirely volunteer-run land trust. Prior to DonorSnap, our "database" was a horribly designed excel file that made organizing and tracking data and determining metrics an absolute nightmare. It was also incredibly frustrating to try to use that file to create mail-merge documents for mailings. As a result, we also kept paper trails of donations way longer than...

Cons

Because there are SO many features, sometimes it takes me longer than I would prefer to get some things accomplished in the system. But, the help features are very extensive and I can almost always figure it out by watching the videos or reading the step-by-step guides. I would say my biggest annoyance is the label feature - I hate that the only option is to make a PDF of the labels, because it means I always waste almost entire sheets of labels because they are often not filled. I would much prefer an option to create a word file of labels (similar to all the other documents you can create in DonorSnap), so that I may copy and paste info around the template in order to print on partial label sheets I have lying around.

Perfect DB for Small Non-profits

Our previous system had zero flexibility for customizing or changing to grow with us. Everything was a cost to edit when I knew I could execute the edit if administration access were provided. Also, the customer support simply wasn't available. It had taken over a month for someone to reply with a solution with our previous DB. DS helps our productivity and allows us to become intimate with the system, changing how and when we need.

Pros

Many features are impactful for our organization and help us advance our productivity. The mass upload feature is time saving, the ability to create and edit thank you letters is convenient, the multitude of canned reports at an executive level or being able to customize and create one with more granular detail is a key function we specifically sought out in our research of databases. The dashboard...

Cons

The tickler function could use more fields to allow for more detail, bit I'm grabbing for straws trying to find something that could use improvement.

New to DonorSnap and feeling great!

PLC gives DonorSnap an A+ - We love it! It is the perfect solution for a smaller land trust. Being online means my data is accessible when I am out on the road or working from home or a volunteer's office. I can update donor records quickly, from anywhere, and the program is so intuitive my staff and volunteers have picked it up very quickly with little anxiety. The support available via the page help and video help is extensive, in fact we haven't had to call DonorSnap yet, although during the conversion it was clear that the staff is friendly, accessible and efficient - so I wouldn't hesitate. After a very disappointing and frustrating experience with our previous software I am both relieved and pleased with all that DonorSnap brings to the table. Bravo!

Pros

Smoothest conversion ever! I couldn't believe how seamless it was. And because I can define fields easily on the fly we didn't have to do a great deal of pre-work, as soon as we see a need I can simply create the field needed. DonorSnap is SO easy to use, very intuitive. With minimal training we are recording gifts, pulling mailing lists, tracking interactions and contacts, and syncing with Constant...

Cons

We migrated to DonorSnap over the summer from Ebase, and ran into trouble with the name override feature. DonorSnap is creating labels with two names "John Doe and Jane Doe" rather than John and Jane Doe. Perhaps there is an easy fix? I haven't asked yet. Beyond that, we are still learning to use Dataminer, but I find the page help feature a great guide. There were only one or two hiccups with the conversion, not in the migration, but because ebase and DonorSnap have different ways of tracking data (payment type, for example). Dennis suggested an easy work around, and within a year the problem will have dissolved on its own. Don't have any real cons yet...I'll keep looking!

A great product, but not for me

It's been difficult to learn all of the features of DonorSnap without an understanding of how & why it was set up the way that it was. I suppose that is a challenge for most CRMs when one group of people set it up and new people come in where no training from the previous people is really provided. My overall experience may be different if I had been there in the beginning.

Pros

I like that you can automatically have it assign letters to different types of donations and that you can see it all at the Dashboard so you don't forget to send them. It is also very convenient to be able to set up Mass Entry options when you have a group of donations that are tied to the same event.

Cons

I do not like that you are unable to sort the entire database without creating a report. I also am not a fan of the fact that you would have to create a report to pull a list of contacts to change one thing about them all, export to excel, make the change, then import back into DonorSnap. It would be much more effective to be able to sort by look-up items, use a drop down with an option that says change to, and then have it ask, change all records in look-up? So you can just hit yes. I also do not like that you cannot see all the notes, donations, and contact information on one screen. You have to click on tabs and I actually find it quite cumbersome to have to click a tab to see donations, another for notes, another for interactions, etc.

It does what we need it too

When we first started using donorsnap, I was very happy with the simplicity of it but now I think it has gotten a lot more complicated and I think charging extra for real customer service is just a poor business model.

Pros

It captures donor details and helps us organize and filter donors as we need to gather information or create mailing lists.

Cons

I know it is a database which is not inherently user friendly but it definitely doesn't try to be easy to understand in any way. There are a lot of ways to customize fields but you can't delete most of them, even though we don't want them so it adds a lot of extra information spaces in our downloaded worksheets that we have to sort and delete every single time. When I had an issue setting up goemerchant...

Great value! Gives us everything we need and more at a fraction of the cost of our previous system.

Pros

We are a small non-profit that used to have a big donor software system. It was cumbersome--training new people always took some time. Reporting was confusing--we were never was sure that we were getting what we asked for. Support was adequate. The worst part is that the company seemed more concerned with selling add ons and upgrades than making sure we had what we needed. Moving to DonorSnap was...

Cons

Ironically, the one thing that took me some time to adjust to was its flexibility. I was so used to having to work within the constraints of a system. I went from, "It doesn't work that way" to "Sure, you can do that!" I really appreciate all of the things I can do to customize DonorSnap to fit my needs. . . define user profiles individually, add and customize fields, rearrange my dashboard to view what I want to view. . . it has all been great.

We use Donorsnap everyday

Overall we depend on Donorsnap entirely to run our organization. We have no issues with data integrity or exporting to Constant Contact. We do not manage a complicated set of donors. I've heard that the reason to upgrade to a different product is the ability to parse sets of donors by capability.

Pros

Donorsnap is all in the cloud, training is straightforward and our team can remember how to use it.

Cons

Integration with Quickbooks has been improved over time. Now it's less complicated. We depend on that and we pay someone to do it. it needs to be done frequently by someone, not a random volunteer. but that's ok. It works.