Bonterra Development + Digital Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.43/10

Reviews by rating

We were excited to find all of the assets as part of EveryAction that would allow us to engage with our donors, advocates, pet passionate people and pet parents in a very different way.
But, I've been impressed with the quality of customer service, availability and commitment of the EA team to getting it right. As of now - I'd absolutely suggest exploring their tools and their team.
Their responses to our questions were ambiguous, unhelpful and mostly petty. If I could, I would blast how horrible EA is to everyone I know.
No graphics, so display can be somewhat intimidating.
Account model is limited = orgs vs. people vs. businesses. Campaign and event hierarchy and construct is confusing.

AW

Aaron W.

Development Director

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Bonterra is a Great Solution for Fundraising!

Transcript

Speaker 1: My name is Aaron. I'm the development director at an organization called Sisu Youth Services....

We are thrilled to watch this video, Aaron! Thank you sincerely for dedicating your time to create it. Your trust in us to assist you with grants management and major giving efforts is deeply appreciated. We are delighted that you have found value in our self-help and customer support services. Here's to your continued success!

Adrian M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

EA is the best CRM, online infrastructure and campaign management tool, period

I never take the time to write reviews, but here I am, 3 days away from the launch of a major fundraising event and capital campaign, taking precious time to fawn over the greatness that is Every Action. It's that good.

Pros

As someone who grew up using VAN for political campaigns, Every Action is the perfect continuation of that skill set. Everything is exactly where you expect it to be, and the Online Actions and Targeted Email modules are welcome additions that offer the full suite of features that I've come to expect from industry standard CRMs, with hardly any of the headaches that come with a software that allow you to write your own code.

Cons

Every Action's feature set is SO robust it can be overwhelming at first, especially for new users.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Great software, be sure you have the team capacity to learn it

Pros

The functionality/ features offered are really helpful and extremely versatile - we use EveryAction as our volunteer management base as well as our donor CRM.

Cons

Be sure to dedicate the organizational/company time and capacity needed to customize it for your needs and to align across your teams about how to properly use the systems and get practiced with them. That is the biggest pitfall we've had as an org.

TS

Tracy S.

Used other for 6-12 months

Product is limited and customer service is the worst

Over the past two years, we have helped on partner migrate to EA and two partners leave the EA platform. The functionality of the system is limiting, to say the least. In doing so, we engaged with customer service for a variety of reasons. In the case of onboarding a new client, it was mostly crickets, our questions often went ignored or it was a "whatever" kind of answer. Then just recently we helped...

Pros

There was nothing that I liked about the software.

Cons

- Reporting is limited - "Lists" are difficult to query and use - Mass editing is impossible - No forward-thinking functions like actions or reminders - Record pages aren't laid out in any usable fashion - "Help Articles" don't help at all - Editing individual data is difficult - Account model is limited = orgs vs. people vs. businesses - Campaign and event hierarchy and construct is confusing

DD

Donaldson DC J.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

EveryAction, a catalyst to advocacy and organising campaign for non-profit.

My organisation have been able solve the following existential problems within the non-profit sector using EveryAction. 1. Out reach to mass audience, we have expanded our reach a quadruple times than how we started over ten years ago. 2. Donation management, we can fundraise and manage those funds almost seamlessly. 3. Time management, with our virtual space events, time has been swiftly managed and by extension, we have saved money. My overall experience with this tool has been very excellent.

Pros

The following features are golden pots of EA, 1. Reporting and Data Analysis This section of the tool is one of the excellent thing that has been done so far. My team do not require so much complex data science skills to understand the dynamics behind the datasets in EveryAction. The graphs are punchy and easy to understand. Their presentation formats render them very useful to various stakeholders within my organisation. 2. The Administrative menu This section is encompassing especially for the kind of jobs we have on our plate. Our organising team have been gratefully harnessing its simplicity and ease of use.

Cons

The integration part of this tool has not been great from our end. We are yet to harness it full potentials. We actually looking at ways of integrating our financial solution within our finance unit to this tool. Secondly, the text messaging aspect has not being actively working as expected.

EH

Eric H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 501-1,000 employees

Easy to use at first, and immense power and flexibility when you get into it. Also great performance

It's a powerful engagement platform The ActionTag online form system works great out of the box, and is fairly easy to customize if you want to fine-tune your user interfaces and flows User management is made really easy with some powerful tools like quick role comparison and impersonation It's blue

Pros

The performance! Views load fast. Reports update fast. Contacts and user records save automatically for 80% of the attributes you update. And the "Create a List" interface is so performant that I use it just to answer idle questions about the constitution of our database (which is not small). I've used Salesforce a fair amount with a similar sized database; often running reports, you would enter in all the parameters, run it, and then go make a sandwich. Five minutes later, maybe it had run. I never even THINK about how long something will take to run anymore. It's great.

Cons

Growing pains. EveryAction already does a lot, and their product team is expanding what it offers at a fine clip. As a result, features are often released with bugs and/or oversights that probably would have been caught in a more conservatively evolving platform. In a way, this is kind of a sneak Pro, because as long as you take new features with a few grains of salt, you benefit from a pretty agile development schedule. And most importantly, the bugs/oversights have always been functional; security, in my experience, has never been compromised in favor of progress.

SH

Sara H.

Museums and Institutions, 11-50 employees

A great digital solution for non-profits! Price point is affordable!

Good experience overall. We have doubled our online giving revenue and grown our email file by a third in a year and a half!

Pros

Price is reasonable for the level we chose and the features available. Still many capabilities we can implement as we become more proficient with the platform, especially in automations and moves management.

Cons

Would like more flexibility with memberships and a bulk delete option.

TH

Tasha H.

Political Organization, 11-50 employees

None Of the questions have any thing to do with my work

My overall experience with Everyaction has been great.

Pros

I like that I can set up events , sign volunteers up for events, set up one on one meetings, and keep track of my volunteers.

Cons

I don't really have any cons about this website.

Hello Tasha, thanks for your positive review! We're thrilled to hear that setting up events, managing volunteers, and organizing meetings is working well for you. It's great that you're having a great experience. We appreciate your support!

KB

Khelil B.

Excellent CRM

Overall, the CRM is a joy to work with. Most of the time, everything works seamlessly. The ability to create emails and form is very easy to learn and excel at.

Pros

EveryAction is an incredibly user-friendly CRM with excellent email and form building, great source code building, great segmentation tools, and very useful reporting-making tools. The ability to track community engagement, the ease-of-use and the attractive interface make EveryAction (which I use daily) incredibly helpful in my content creation and reporting.

Cons

EA reports are very good with one exception: I'd like a state-by-state breakdown of emails sent to recipients. Right now, I cannot easily find out how many emails the average person in California received from us. EveryAction should allow for local/state email counting.

Emily S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

EveryAction - powerful, and can be difficult to use

As an integrated solution for organizing, fundraising, and outreach, it's really hard to beat EveryAction. I have not used the other products. I am in accounting, so mainly use the donation tools for recognizing and managing income. I have done some troubleshooting with the wider team, however, and would use EveryAction again if i moved to a different organization.

Pros

EveryAction is a large and complex database system that can be highly customized. As flexible as it is, it can be difficult to know which parameters affect which queries. EveryAction is the gold standard, and it's great when there is already a power user on the team. Without an EveryAction power user on the team, some amount of skilling up is necessary.

Cons

It's a complex database and as mentioned in "pros" it can be difficult to know which parameters affect which fields. There is a lot of help documentation--but that too can be a con, getting to the correct article can be difficult. EveryAction help is very good--the help team did some one:one trainings for our team and they were fantastic.

KF

Kris F.

Government Relations, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

LIUNA Minnesota recommends Bonterra

Bonterra is user-friendly and easy to use. We use Bonterra to target member communications and track member engagement. Using Bonterra has helped us clean up our membership data, resulting in less than 1% bad data

Pros

We use Bonterra for member communications and to track member engagement. Bonterra helps us target member communications and is user-friendly.

Cons

Members' school districts should be included in the base price.

Hi Kris, we're thrilled to hear about your achievement of less than 1% bad data with Bonterra - what an incredible feat! Your success in effectively targeting member communications and tracking engagement is exactly what we strive for. A big thank you to the consultant who recommended us to you. Your feedback on including member school districts in the base price is noted and valued, and will be shared with the appropriate teams. Cheers to your continued success!

KT

Kristy T.

User Review

It makes compiling lists for acknowledgment and tracking easy

Pros

Tracking of donations and management of contact information for acknowledgement

Cons

Site map can be a bit confusing regarding where to edit or update information

SF

Susan F.

IndivisibleHoCoMD use of EveryAction

I find the overall use of this product positive. We have been able to put our many emails both weekly, bi weekly and monthly. Overall, our users like the emails and generally respond.

Pros

We are able to segment publications to specific voting areas. This helps keep our responses positive and limits communicating with others. I think it has directly helped our reader response rate. Sign up forms had a direct impact on our meeting planning. The drag and drop editor along with the email source is easy to use once you have tried it a few times. It is easy to understand the new features, as well. I find the color options and organization tools very effective for reader response to our emails.

Cons

When you need to find a tool, sometimes it is cumbersome since the product offers so much that it is almost impossible to find the item. I have spent a lot of time scrolling through the Help from EveryAction to find answers. When adding photos to the emails, it is timely to scroll through all the other photos and find the one you added. It would help to be able to delete or archive some of the earlier pictures. I have to preface this comment as we are delegated the package from Indivisible.org. And have found some tools were not in that packaging.

Thank you very much, Susan, for the review, providing detailed information using various aspects of Bonterra's Development + Digital. We will definitely forward your comments to the appropriate Bonterra team about needing easier access to the Help section and additional ways to improve the tool.

CM

Caitlin M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

An extensive and versatile tool!

Pros

We love how extensive EveryAction is. We're able to build extensive profiles for donors, volunteers, and supporters and create highly segmented lists as a result. There are so many tools to use, from reports to analytics, to phonebanks. We're excited about the development of automations and would love to see an option to include steps like texting or removing activist codes as well based on meeting search criteria. The interface is quite intuitive and easy to learn the more time you spend with it!

Cons

I wish there were ways we could better integrate with google sheets, for example when someone submits a form on EveryAction we could send the info to a google sheet (besides ticketed events) or have the capacity for us to use a tool like Zapier. It's sometimes difficult to know how we could get more in-depth advice over the phone or zoom from EveryAction. Also the add-ons get quite pricey!

Braeden L.

Philanthropy, 11-50 employees

EA is user friendly, built for activism, and a "work in progress".

Pros

At Resource Generation we appreciate how user friendly EveryAction is to navigate. Our full staff and many of our member leaders need to use the system to move their work forward, and that hasn't been possible with other systems. EveryAction also uses the language of in person and online organizing throughout its systems which is helpful from a functionality and user adoption standpoint. The values alignment also means the kinds of functions that are built prioritize justice frameworks, such as selecting preferred gender pronouns.

Cons

EveryAction is a newer database, and new functions that you might expect to already exist are being built all the time. One example is responses to online forms formerly going directly into a contact record as notes, which is now an optional function. So expect there to be some growing edges for the system. That said, the support team is good about acknowledging what is being built and communicating and mitigating the impacts for users where possible. This is primarily why I scored lower on "Features & Functionality".

AO

Anastasia O.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

Great All-in-One CRM!

I love the system and couldn’t dream of using anything else. It’s very user friendly and helps our organization collaborate between departments with ease!

Pros

My organization uses Everyaction as our CRM. They have recently made some upgrades so now we are able to house all of our fundraising, volunteer management, and digital communications in one system. They also have some cool twitter and email integrations that make it really easy to create online actions for people to take and helps us engage our volunteer base more effectively.

Cons

It can sometimes be hard to get tech support from the company.

VS

Victoria S.

Better than NationBuilder

Easy and simple creation of signup forms and donation pages, powerful email tool for our newsletter.

Pros

We switched to EveryAction from NationBuilder and absolutely love it. The user interface is sleek and modern, and its very easy to query based on dozens (hundreds?) of filters, actions taken, demographics, etc. We also use the email tool to send out our newsletter and can quickly and easily make donation & signup pages.

Cons

There's not much I don't like about EveryAction. I wish the email templates were built out a bit more, but that's really it.

BH

Brooke H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Excellent tool for managing donor data for large non-prof organization

Pros

The implementation team was absolutely fantastic. Being able to manage multi channel donations such as direct mail and online, major donor data, grants, and reporting data all in one place is a game changer.

Cons

The variety of choices can be overwhelming, and sometimes support tickets are answered by more junior staff (so can be less accurate). Pipeline documentation is really not good, API could use significant revamp as well.

MS

Marisa S.

EveryAction Review

Pros

Organization of contact page Ways to work with the data Almost endless number of ways to run reports

Cons

In the data transfer from old software to EveryAction, all the organization contacts became people contacts so we can't treat our funders as orgs in EveryAction (i.e. assign a primary contact) unless we delete them all and begin again. The targeted email takes a lot of work to look beautiful and doesn't offer a lot of design options. Would prefer to use a platform like MailChimp but don't think that EveryAction supports the integration.

KR

Keith R.

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

EA and College of Marin

Super pleased and really enjoy working with the staff.

Pros

Cloud -base and the ability to work from anywhere. I enjoyed the ability to track projects, events, solicitations, grants management and moves management all in one spot. I also enjoyed the tutorial videos.

Cons

Lack of traditional fundraising reports such as lybunt report or donor profile. Also being able to see last constituents searched.

BM

Becca M.

Nonprofit User

Easy to learn, use, and manage. Much better than Raiser's Edge

Pros

Reports are easy to customize and generate.

Cons

Wish it was integrated with Qb for the import of data.

AA

Alhassan A.

Used other for 6-12 months

more than just your regular donor management software

We rely on a variety of different software to manage different components of our fundraising drives. Suited for both online giving, live event donations, and recurring giving management, I am glad to say that EveryAction provides a well rounded solution that suit a wide variety of fundraising needs

Pros

Everyaction provides a wide ranging assortment of complementary services that allow for effective management of fundraising campaigns. The volunteer and logistics management features were ones I certainly did not expect. With these, we are able to manage all elements of our live fundraising events without needing to use any other software to coordinate those tasks. This makes planning very effective and highly streamlined.

Cons

With all these great and sophisticated features, it can be a bit overwhelming during first time use. The learning curve is therefore a bit steep before you get adequately comfortable, but then it pays off at the end with great campaign performance.

51-200 employees

Great Customer Service and Easy to Use

Pros

I used their campaign fundraising database and found it to be great. They cover all of the fundraising bases I needed.

Cons

It has been awhile since i used this database. I cannot remember any large grievances to report here.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Great tool for organizing and donor management

Love it.

Pros

Ease of use; no changes to the software.

Cons

There's not much I'd change, but some of the backend data management and charting the data could be better.

CJ

Chad J.

Easy to Use

Pros

I love the report customization. In my role I have to submit different reports to different departments, and this lets me easily customize a report for their needs.

Cons

Right at this time, I have not had any issues. Everything that was promised has been delivered.

cr

cinthya r.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Love it

We need to follow up with potential families to join or school.

Pros

It is easy to do cold calls. and to know who do you need to follow up with every day.

Cons

It is hard to do follow-ups. You have to go back and forth from one screen to another. It is not like cold calling.