Planview LeanKit Reviews

User ratings

4.4

• Likelihood to recommend7.78/10

See full reviews by rating

Cons

It is very good if you have a certain structured system in place.
I asked for a refund of the unused months and I was told no.
How would you rate Planview LeanKit?

Great for personal and business kanban

Pros

Simple to use and set up, visual and easy to navigate, drag and drop features.

Cons

Some of the reporting features were hard to customize or modify, and instructions were not always in depth enough.

Flexible lean project management tool

It was fast, flexible and offered team independence. While the company ultimately moved to a more feature rich tool that better served our needs, I would say that leankit is a great solution and should certainly be in your short list.

Pros

This is a nice relatively lightweight application that is easily configurable. Teams can quickly setup their own boards as they want and share them with other teams to view. The interface is simple and intuitive with a good level of configuration. Leankit delivers on the simplicity and ease of use.

Cons

At the time of using it, it was not easy to share work across multiple boards. The option at the time was to create a master board and create dependencies from there. That only worked if you planned for that at the beginning. However, if you were to decide later that you wanted to do this, it was much more difficult to retrospectively build that hierarchy. It also stripped new lines from descriptions, while there are workarounds with tags, it was frustrating that have wrapping automatically.

It's a Project Tracking Tool | Not the Best, Not the Worst

Overall, my experience with LeanKit is fine. It's a project management tool and productivity tracker and each of those have their benefits and drawbacks. I don't find LeanKit to really be better or worse than any other one that I've used and it is valuable to be able to see the work that your coworkers have on their plates so you're not asking them to do something when they've already got enough on their plate.

Pros

I really like the way Leankit visualizes tasks as 'cards', so you can see blocks that you and your co-workers are working on at any given time. It can be a little visually overwhelming at first, but there are filtering options that you can turn on to only show you cards that you're attached to, or make other peoples' cards transparent so you get a more at-a-glance view of your tasks for the day/week etc.

Cons

It's fairly bare bones. On top of this, if you've only got one lane for projects being worked on and people put enough cards in there that the time surpasses the allotment, a notification comes up asking you to enter a reason that you're going over the time limit. You can enter whatever you want into the dialogue box making this basically superfluous. I wouldn't have as much of an issue with this if the lane showed you were over the time limit without the annoying popup.

A complete project management solution built with an agile approach!

I have been using this application as kanban board for agile planning and task creation. The story creation and the relation with individual tasks makes the project management more fluidic and easy to understand. I like its approach with the drag and drop with color coding and make it smart to understand the nuance of the business.

Pros

The agile project planning feature, which is built around kanban, data-analytics, and smart visual management is the most striking feature in this application. The information architecture around tasks, backlog, color coding, drag and drop of cards makes this application a must have for agile planning.

Cons

The application is not intuitive and it takes time for a new user to get acquainted. Reporting feature with actionable insights can be more detailed oriented to make this application a robust one. There should also be an option to control the scrolling as a lot tasks can crowd the board.

Good All-Around Project Board

We use it to project and plan several projects and tasks. It's connected to Okta and Okta groups. Everyone here uses it, so that's nice to have one tool across the organization.

Pros

LeanKit is a simple, intuitive way to create and track tasks for KANBAN. I've used others and I'm fairly happy with LeanKit. Integrates with SSO (Okta) and is very nice. Very easy to use. Link to other systems (ticketing systems, etc). Very good visual representation and good for collaboration.

Cons

None that I can think of. Other than difficulty deleting cards that you fat-finger, you need an admin to remove them. Just use it and get used to not having to delete cards for correction.

Great introduction into Kanban and Lean project management

Pros

Clean and easy to use interface, along with the ability to configure boards with the lanes and sub lanes that you require. Boards easily link to each other so you can as the project manager can have a view on the progress on sub boards. Being able to choose colours and card types to easily indicate a cards current intention within the current lane has made visibility of projects so much easier.

Cons

I do think their costing model is a little high based on some other options out their. I would love to see a small team version but with the needed options.

Robust Tool

Pros

It allows you to create a completely custom board and stays true to its KanBan nature. It easily allows you to see who's working on what and when a task has been sent off to you.

Cons

It sends you a ridiculous number of emails. Every little change made to a task or board is emailed to you - even if you did it. I understand some notification via email is possibly necessary, however, you should have the capability to subscribe to only certain types of email notifications.

Leankit: CSR made easy

Pros

I think this program is great at clearing showing where you team is at with a project. There are so many ways to communicate different things. You can leave comments, move it to a physical lane, mark it with tags. Shows a good birds-eye view of where you team it. Parent cards and child cards help track projects across different boards. Very helpful and easy to use.

Cons

It's limitations with lanes and lack of sleek design can make it hard to look at and can be over whelming if there are many cards in a lane

Great Software, but a Little on the Pricey Side

Daily standups, ability to see at a glance what my team is working on and what they have accomplished.

Pros

This software had everything we wanted in a Kanban board. Ease of use, ability to customize how we wanted it to look with subcategories, etc. We used this for our daily standups and weekly meetings.

Cons

The features are great, the cost if what made us move to another product

LeanKit as a business management tool

LeanKit is a good product. It really does help us to keep our work organized and ensures that we address the right priorities.

Pros

LeanKit helps is to keep all of our teams projects and collaborative efforts organized. It gives us a fairly good visualization of work progress.

Cons

My department’s work is fairly repetitive, so it can sometimes feel cumbersome to Kanban all of our work.

Really good project management platform

Overall, we've been using Leankit for over three years and it's great. My team and I find it super easy to use, love the way it looks and has helped improve our productivity substantially.

Pros

Instead of a traditional list format you often find with other project management tools, LeanKit provides you with visual cards or 'projects' you can move into lanes, assign, etc. It's ease of use is awesome and it's pretty to look at.

Cons

They are constantly updating look and adding new features - which is great, but it sometimes causes issues. This isn't often, but when it does happen it can be frustrating. Also the reporting could be better. It doesn't have best insight.

LeanKit makes my first intro to kanban

Pros

• InCREDible depth of learning content available. • Standard subscription is comprehensive and well-priced. • Easy-to-use RSS/calendar feeds make it easy to integrate with my calendaring. • Wide variety of templates help a newb like me get started quickly. • Responsive design well implemented across desktop and iOS app.

Cons

• The UI is absolutely functional and straightforward, but a little spartan. Apps you're going to live in all day need to inspire feelibngs of love and warmth (see Slack) • As someone completely new to lean and kanban, AND with my tendency to just in without reading any documentation, I'd love to see a search field in the in-app help rather than links to tutorials and knowledge base. I want to be able to click open the help window, type "how do I X the Y?" and have the results page pop open. • Inexplicably, clicking the (?) icon in the tool bar pops open the Privacy policy.

Project Management and Customization

It is very good if you have a certain structured system in place

Pros

It is very easy to deployment Create and manage cards across the lanes Tagging cards properly and assigned to the users Very much flexible on planning releases and deployment

Cons

Not much very supportive to customization Or creating ad hoc customized lanes and cards very easily Customized logics or rules to control cards is also Not possible

LeanKit for large teams

Pros

Easy to use and setup boards. If you use kanban for your development seems to be a good tool

Cons

No tools to manage backlog for large product over several version. Planning capability for SAFe is poor.

Helps us organize a lot of tasks for a medium sized team

We're still in the process of getting on top of our work plans, but already we feel the benefits of organizing a tremendous amount of tasks using this tool

Pros

Easy to use, rich functionality, good webinars and tools to help the team get on-board.

Cons

Even though there are lots of integrations available - seems there's still way to go. Inherent scrum supporting tools like burndown chart are not intuitive to use from day 1.

Better than Asana

Pros

Customizable swim lanes Can color code the tickets (stories, epics, etc) Easy to customize the behavior Things are like a proper kanban board not in a list. There are no workflows like jira

Cons

A little lag sometimes Sometimes you can over customize It’s a little clunky on behavior

Awesome for multifaceted swimlanes

I can't say enough good things about Leankit. Only issue was that it took me an hour to grasp the UI with splitting horizontal & vertical swimlanes. However, once I had that down, I saw the power of being able to visually represent what I wanted to with the tool. Granted, I'm not using it for kanban per say, I'm using it for customer/prospect management primarily. In a single pane of glass, I...

Pros

+ Intuitive interface once you get used to it. + Very flexible + Flood your favorite problem children with email tasks until they scream (or create a spam filter) + Multiple swimlanes & sublanes are mind blowing. Seriously.... Experiment!

Cons

- Learning curve (but this is not that big of a deal.. trust me..) - tags are not selectable

Overall very intuitive.

Pros

I like the Kanban style of listing the tasks on my plate. It helps me plan ahead and keeps me from wasting time wondering what I need to do next.

Cons

While it is great for big overall projects, I wish there was an easier way of creating cards for small projects. I get them sometimes and unless I tacle them quickly I often forget. Is there a way for you to create a shortcut to quick create a card?

Easy way to both manage own tasks and maintain visibility and collaboration with teammates

Task organization. Makes sure I don't forget one of my many pending activities for the day.

Pros

Easy creation of task. it can be as simple or complex as you want, from a simple task name to start/end dates, resource assignments, categorization ,etc.

Cons

Difficult to have sub categories. Everything is organized in columns. it would be great to have a windows like organization.

Great Kanban with flexibility and simplicity

LeanKit has been a great tool for our development teams to setup and track their workflow. It's simplified how we worked and improved our processes by getting us away from a waterfall system with complicated dependencies and unreadable gantt charts.

Pros

The customization is great. Boards can be setup exactly as needed. Overall it's a simple system for users to learn, while still providing plenty of flexibility.

Cons

Some of the options that seems like they should basic aren't available unless at the highest paid tier. The pricing jump seems disproportionate for the benefits at those higher tiers. Would like to see some changes in the way cards are setup and laid out. Also easier integration with external apps to provide more functionality.

Has Potential

It has the potential to be a little more. It kind of reminds me of ADP for project management, as far as looks go. Not particularly pretty but it's enough to manage what you need. I don't know how much my company paid for it or it's limitations but it's useful for now.

Pros

You can visually see the status and details with each card, that represents each project. It's almost like post-it notes on a board. You can have a one glance overview and see everything and who is assigned to them. If someone changes something in your project, you're immediately notified. If there are a lot of changes, it can be hard to keep up with it.

Cons

Once when you drill down on each project, it very thick with information, which can be good and daunting at the same time. But if there was a change, it can get confusing. I'm not a heavy user but I do keep up with the projects listed. The search is ok but I would like to see results in a better view.

The Most Intuitive Product

Been looking for a software package to help manage our workflow and optimize our project process. I evaluated several platforms and even tried a few others. The biggest adoption hurdle with other platforms has been ease of use, but LeanKits user-friendly interface and project management philosophy removed that hurdle for my organization. We now have buy-in from the whole organization on a predictable process and a way to track that process. I know that big things are coming as we start to track more and more projects over the coming months and then use LeanKits reporting functions to make big process improvements.

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

Haven't found on yet.

Why this costs money I'm not sure

Pros

Leankit is a decent collaboration suite helpful for tracking details around things like project management. At least that's what we use it for. It's ok software, don't get me wrong, but when there are alternatives like Trello out there that are free or mostly so I'm not sure why this is worth the money.

Cons

First off, the Trello interface is cleaner and more intuitive. Second, the basic version of Trello, which will suffice for 90% of users, is free.

Good experience

Decent experience overall with easy and innovative UI for especially for Kanban boards. Easy to adapt to by both tech and non tech folks. Provides necessary features for project management and tracling

Pros

The UI is simple and sleak compared to other agile management tools used especially for kannan boards. Good desktop app too. Provides decent customisation options.

Cons

Free tier has less features. Less integrations provided. My team found it a bit on costlier side.

The best Kanban

There's a lot of different attempts at Kanban online, and this is the one I had been looking for. The problem with Kanban can be that you get too much information in one area at a time real fast, and it stops being useful. Leankit manages to allow you to capture as much info as you want, while still remaining, well, lean. It really is a great experience from top to bottom.

Pros

Easy to set up. Good value. Lots of templates to get started with. Easy to use.

Cons

Maybe the color palette is not the greatest?