LeanKit Reviews

LeanKit

Enterprise Kanban | Visual Project Management

4.44/5 (39 reviews)

Pros
  • Overall I am impressed and love the clean look to this software. It is simple and user friendly.Cristy L.Read the full review
  • LeanKit helps is to keep all of our teams projects and collaborative efforts organized. It gives us a fairly good visualization of work progress.Abe Y.Read the full review
  • The Kanban board is an easy and organized board that helps our business stay communicated. I also love the personalization of profiles with pictures.Cristy L.Read the full review
Cons
  • Terrible account management backend for managing your team or subscription. We have been charged for our cancelled account since December 2018.Dylan K.Read the full review
  • It also stripped new lines from descriptions, while there are workarounds with tags, it was frustrating that have wrapping automatically.David B.Read the full review
  • Technical issues, inability to unsubscribe from emails, unhelpful customer service, tedious process for tasks.Daniel B.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Joel Bennett

Great for personal and business kanban

Reviewed 2018-11-28

Pros
Simple to use and set up, visual and easy to navigate, drag and drop features.

Cons
Some of the reporting features were hard to customize or modify, and instructions were not always in depth enough.

David Butler

Flexible lean project management tool

Reviewed 2018-02-07

It was fast, flexible and offered team independence. While the company ultimately moved to a more feature rich tool that better served our needs, I would say that leankit is a great solution and should certainly be in your short list.

Pros
This is a nice relatively lightweight application that is easily configurable. Teams can quickly setup their own boards as they want and share them with other teams to view. The interface is simple and intuitive with a good level of configuration. Leankit delivers on the simplicity and ease of use.

Cons
At the time of using it, it was not easy to share work across multiple boards. The option at the time was to create a master board and create dependencies from there. That only worked if you planned for that at the beginning. However, if you were to decide later that you wanted to do this, it was much more difficult to retrospectively build that hierarchy. It also stripped new lines from descriptions, while there are workarounds with tags, it was frustrating that have wrapping automatically.

Stephanie Simpson

Great Software, but a Little on the Pricey Side

Reviewed 2020-05-05

Daily standups, ability to see at a glance what my team is working on and what they have accomplished.

Pros
This software had everything we wanted in a Kanban board. Ease of use, ability to customize how we wanted it to look with subcategories, etc. We used this for our daily standups and weekly meetings.

Cons
The features are great, the cost if what made us move to another product

Thomas Connors

It's a Project Tracking Tool | Not the Best, Not the Worst

Reviewed 2020-04-06

Overall, my experience with LeanKit is fine. It's a project management tool and productivity tracker and each of those have their benefits and drawbacks. I don't find LeanKit to really be better or worse than any other one that I've used and it is valuable to be able to see the work that your coworkers have on their plates so you're not asking them to do something when they've already got enough on their plate.

Pros
I really like the way Leankit visualizes tasks as 'cards', so you can see blocks that you and your co-workers are working on at any given time. It can be a little visually overwhelming at first, but there are filtering options that you can turn on to only show you cards that you're attached to, or make other peoples' cards transparent so you get a more at-a-glance view of your tasks for the day/week etc.

Cons
It's fairly bare bones. On top of this, if you've only got one lane for projects being worked on and people put enough cards in there that the time surpasses the allotment, a notification comes up asking you to enter a reason that you're going over the time limit. You can enter whatever you want into the dialogue box making this basically superfluous. I wouldn't have as much of an issue with this if the lane showed you were over the time limit without the annoying popup.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Good All-Around Project Board

Reviewed 2019-12-03

We use it to project and plan several projects and tasks. It's connected to Okta and Okta groups. Everyone here uses it, so that's nice to have one tool across the organization.

Pros
LeanKit is a simple, intuitive way to create and track tasks for KANBAN. I've used others and I'm fairly happy with LeanKit. Integrates with SSO (Okta) and is very nice. Very easy to use. Link to other systems (ticketing systems, etc). Very good visual representation and good for collaboration.

Cons
None that I can think of. Other than difficulty deleting cards that you fat-finger, you need an admin to remove them. Just use it and get used to not having to delete cards for correction.

Joanna E

Really good project management platform

Reviewed 2018-09-25

Overall, we've been using Leankit for over three years and it's great. My team and I find it super easy to use, love the way it looks and has helped improve our productivity substantially.

Pros
Instead of a traditional list format you often find with other project management tools, LeanKit provides you with visual cards or 'projects' you can move into lanes, assign, etc. It's ease of use is awesome and it's pretty to look at.

Cons
They are constantly updating look and adding new features - which is great, but it sometimes causes issues. This isn't often, but when it does happen it can be frustrating. Also the reporting could be better. It doesn't have best insight.

Great introduction into Kanban and Lean project management

Reviewed 2018-12-14

Pros
Clean and easy to use interface, along with the ability to configure boards with the lanes and sub lanes that you require. Boards easily link to each other so you can as the project manager can have a view on the progress on sub boards. Being able to choose colours and card types to easily indicate a cards current intention within the current lane has made visibility of projects so much easier.

Cons
I do think their costing model is a little high based on some other options out their. I would love to see a small team version but with the needed options.

Robust Tool

Reviewed 2017-10-27

Pros
It allows you to create a completely custom board and stays true to its KanBan nature. It easily allows you to see who's working on what and when a task has been sent off to you.

Cons
It sends you a ridiculous number of emails. Every little change made to a task or board is emailed to you - even if you did it. I understand some notification via email is possibly necessary, however, you should have the capability to subscribe to only certain types of email notifications.

Emma Robinson

Leankit: CSR made easy

Reviewed 2018-12-19

Pros
I think this program is great at clearing showing where you team is at with a project. There are so many ways to communicate different things. You can leave comments, move it to a physical lane, mark it with tags. Shows a good birds-eye view of where you team it. Parent cards and child cards help track projects across different boards. Very helpful and easy to use.

Cons
It's limitations with lanes and lack of sleek design can make it hard to look at and can be over whelming if there are many cards in a lane

Abe Young

LeanKit as a business management tool

Reviewed 2018-12-18

LeanKit is a good product. It really does help us to keep our work organized and ensures that we address the right priorities.

Pros

Cons
My department’s work is fairly repetitive, so it can sometimes feel cumbersome to Kanban all of our work.

Anonymous

LeanKit makes my first intro to kanban

Used daily for free trial
Reviewed 2017-12-01

Pros
• InCREDible depth of learning content available. • Standard subscription is comprehensive and well-priced. • Easy-to-use RSS/calendar feeds make it easy to integrate with my calendaring. • Wide variety of templates help a newb like me get started quickly. • Responsive design well implemented across desktop and iOS app.

Cons
• The UI is absolutely functional and straightforward, but a little spartan. Apps you're going to live in all day need to inspire feelibngs of love and warmth (see Slack) • As someone completely new to lean and kanban, AND with my tendency to just in without reading any documentation, I'd love to see a search field in the in-app help rather than links to tutorials and knowledge base. I want to be able to click open the help window, type "how do I X the Y?" and have the results page pop open. • Inexplicably, clicking the (?) icon in the tool bar pops open the Privacy policy.

Brett Easley

Great KANBAN Board

Reviewed 2018-02-15
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
This is a great solution that is very powerful and easy to use. We use KANBAN and this integrates well for our team.

Cons
There are not a lot of downsides for us but the biggest has been that it can be cumbersome to create templates for those projects that may have similar recurring tasks.

Eitan Burcat

Helps us organize a lot of tasks for a medium sized team

Reviewed 2016-11-10

We're still in the process of getting on top of our work plans, but already we feel the benefits of organizing a tremendous amount of tasks using this tool

Pros
Easy to use, rich functionality, good webinars and tools to help the team get on-board.

Cons
Even though there are lots of integrations available - seems there's still way to go. Inherent scrum supporting tools like burndown chart are not intuitive to use from day 1.

Better than Asana

Reviewed 2019-03-25

Pros
Customizable swim lanes Can color code the tickets (stories, epics, etc) Easy to customize the behavior Things are like a proper kanban board not in a list. There are no workflows like jira

Cons
A little lag sometimes Sometimes you can over customize It’s a little clunky on behavior

Kelly Hair

Awesome for multifaceted swimlanes

Reviewed 2014-03-28

I can't say enough good things about Leankit. Only issue was that it took me an hour to grasp the UI with splitting horizontal & vertical swimlanes. However, once I had that down, I saw the power of being able to visually represent what I wanted to with the tool. Granted, I'm not using it for kanban per say, I'm using it for customer/prospect management primarily. In a single pane of glass, I was able to represented 30 different customers/prospects, where these customers stood relative to our core values & categories for developing the market. I know this is not software development... pivoting a bit here... Big proponent of this tool. Glad my company forced it upon me because it's a huge improvement over the rather simple, but go to tool, Trello. Trello still has its place but it seems arcane all of a sudden.

Pros
+ Intuitive interface once you get used to it. + Very flexible + Flood your favorite problem children with email tasks until they scream (or create a spam filter) + Multiple swimlanes & sublanes are mind blowing. Seriously.... Experiment!

Cons
- Learning curve (but this is not that big of a deal.. trust me..) - tags are not selectable

Nathan Wukasch

Overall very intuitive.

Reviewed 2018-07-19

Pros
I like the Kanban style of listing the tasks on my plate. It helps me plan ahead and keeps me from wasting time wondering what I need to do next.

Cons
While it is great for big overall projects, I wish there was an easier way of creating cards for small projects. I get them sometimes and unless I tacle them quickly I often forget. Is there a way for you to create a shortcut to quick create a card?

Jaime Herrera

Easy way to both manage own tasks and maintain visibility and collaboration with teammates

Reviewed 2018-01-23

Task organization. Makes sure I don't forget one of my many pending activities for the day.

Pros
Easy creation of task. it can be as simple or complex as you want, from a simple task name to start/end dates, resource assignments, categorization ,etc.

Cons
Difficult to have sub categories. Everything is organized in columns. it would be great to have a windows like organization.

Landon Olson

Great Kanban with flexibility and simplicity

Reviewed 2018-08-21

LeanKit has been a great tool for our development teams to setup and track their workflow. It's simplified how we worked and improved our processes by getting us away from a waterfall system with complicated dependencies and unreadable gantt charts.

Pros
The customization is great. Boards can be setup exactly as needed. Overall it's a simple system for users to learn, while still providing plenty of flexibility.

Cons
Some of the options that seems like they should basic aren't available unless at the highest paid tier. The pricing jump seems disproportionate for the benefits at those higher tiers. Would like to see some changes in the way cards are setup and laid out. Also easier integration with external apps to provide more functionality.

Chad Crowe

The Most Intuitive Product

Reviewed 2016-09-23

Been looking for a software package to help manage our workflow and optimize our project process. I evaluated several platforms and even tried a few others. The biggest adoption hurdle with other platforms has been ease of use, but LeanKits user-friendly interface and project management philosophy removed that hurdle for my organization. We now have buy-in from the whole organization on a predictable process and a way to track that process. I know that big things are coming as we start to track more and more projects over the coming months and then use LeanKits reporting functions to make big process improvements.

Pros
Ease of use.

Cons
Haven't found on yet.

Racey Cave

Why this costs money I'm not sure

Reviewed 2018-02-27

Pros
Leankit is a decent collaboration suite helpful for tracking details around things like project management. At least that's what we use it for. It's ok software, don't get me wrong, but when there are alternatives like Trello out there that are free or mostly so I'm not sure why this is worth the money.

Cons
First off, the Trello interface is cleaner and more intuitive. Second, the basic version of Trello, which will suffice for 90% of users, is free.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Josh Wilson

The best Kanban

Reviewed 2016-12-05

There's a lot of different attempts at Kanban online, and this is the one I had been looking for. The problem with Kanban can be that you get too much information in one area at a time real fast, and it stops being useful. Leankit manages to allow you to capture as much info as you want, while still remaining, well, lean. It really is a great experience from top to bottom.

Pros
Easy to set up. Good value. Lots of templates to get started with. Easy to use.

Cons
Maybe the color palette is not the greatest?

Paul Hyde

Embedded in our business processes

Reviewed 2016-01-06

We have been using LeanKit for more than three years at LateRooms. What started as a tool that was used by our product teams to track development work and releases has also been adopted by other teams within the business, for example I use the software to track procurement projects and the HR team use it to track the recruitment process.

Pros
Ease of use Integration with 3rd party apps (ZenDesk, Atlassian)

Manny Alemany

BUYER BEWARE: No Refunds if you Prepay!

Reviewed 2017-03-31

BUYER BEWARE: Do not pay for the full year as you do not get your money back if you are unhappy with the product or support. We tested the product a few months and then elected to use the basic product as it appeared to meet our needs. We paid for the full year but after a few months on the basic platform we decided to move to a different solution with more features at a lower cost. I asked for a refund of the unused months and I was told no.

Pros
Followed Kaban Lean Method

Cons
Basic Level is too limited compared to other solution providers

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Alexandra Ch

Easy to use and navigate software for project management

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2018-01-24

Pros
Most actions can be done with a click of a mouse or even drag and drop, customizable colors for different types of tickets.

Cons
Sometimes when you drag a ticket and move it to another lane, it doesn't save there and you have to try to move it again and again, until it finally drops into designated lane.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Supreeth Siddaraju

Best for Lean Implementation

Reviewed 2018-05-23
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
Its a great software for companies looking to implement lean and also who wanted to continuously improve too.

Cons
Proper knowledge and training of the lean principles are required to create master board and then to collect all the required data.