OBS Studio Logo

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.04/10

Reviews by rating

It is one of the best open-source and free software I have come across. With such a wide range of features and broad range of plugin supports to expand on those, OBS is truly one of a kind software.
The thing that I love the most about OBS is that it creates quality videos that are not too big in size when compared to other similar software, it just has a really good encoder.
I never live streamed, but I just hear good things about OBS on this front. I definitively recommend and promote anyone to try this brilliant piece of tech.
It is less that intuitive to set up initially and there is no undo option so that, if you delete a scene or an element by mistake, you cannot undo your error.
Sometimes it'll overload your system making it lag, it can be very frustrating too. I've lost many videos as my laptop kept crashing due to there not being enough ram available.
That can means sending the wrong feed live at times - the power of OBS needs to be fully understood so that you don't make simple errors.

CharRon S.

Owner

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

OBS time

Transcript

Charron S.: Hi, my name is Charron. I'm a multimedia technician and I give OBS a four rating. And if...

Jimmie G.

Creative Director

Events Services, 1-10 employees

Holy Cow, this is FREE?!

Transcript

Jimmy W.: I'm Jimmy, I'm a creative director and I give OBS a five star rating. For more information,...

Saviour E.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

A Dynamic Tool for your video streaming preference Plus its "Open Source"

Realizing that I can still perform the functions of automation the way I want, I found ease in automation and usability with my team. OBS is a powerful and Dynamic Video tool I can recommend to any similar service provider within the niche. It is simple and consistent, its advanced features are mesmerizing, and its Open Source

Pros

First, I like that Its open source, and with that, it's user-friendly and consistently undergoing integrations to smoothen the user experience. For advanced users, It serves advanced functionalities even while it is an Open source project OBS hardly forces shuts down while in runtime. One of the best features for me is customization. I like that I can tweak my automation with my timelines, to fit my needs.

Cons

Because the product is open source, the latest version upgrade comes with changes in syntax. i.e., Having a lower-third animation function, the commands change with a new update, and it can be difficult to get the product started if you do not visit the developer's forum to follow through with the changes. If you want to implement most settings/preferences to take effect, you may have to restart OBS, which is normal with most software.

T. Ryan A.

Entertainment, self-employed

Extremely powerful tool for broadcasting multiple video and audio sources.

Overall I think OBS is fantastic. It is a bit kludge-y in certain aspects but I have been using it for about a year and a half now and I can't imagine switching to a different tool. It has been able to handle multiple camera scenarios with ease. I just love it.

Pros

This product allowed me to quickly put together professional "studio grade" composite video scenes that were then easily broadcast to a number of online sites. I used it most frequently with Twitch and it has nicely integrated twitch features, but it can also be used to broadcast to facebook or youtube given that you have things configured correctly. The ability to apply video and audio filters as well as support for a variety of different audio and video formats for inset playback was extremely useful.

Cons

This product has a bit of a DIY flair. For anyone with a background in video editing or audio editing it wont take too long to figure out how to set up a scene and broadcast with OBS. However, the onbaording for new users is virtually non existant. I certainly wouldn't give OBS to someone with little to know technical experience and expect them to be successfull. In today's tech landscape, especially when it comes to streaming there are so many unsophisticated users attempting to get started that I think a few more passes to the UX and UI would be beneficial.

DD

Donna D.

Cosmetics, 1-10 employees

OBS is great for LiveStreams

If I was still streaming on Twitch, I would still be using OBS. I tried Streamlabs after trying OBS but didn't like the way it ran. Too many hiccups .. so I definitely recommend OBS for streaming. OBS is also REALLY amazing if you want to record a webinar that you are working because it allows you to record your screen.

Pros

I used OBS for streaming on Twitch. I liked that I was able to integrate my own layouts and have them show up on my screen. I also loved being able to change back and forth between scenes.

Cons

OBS is challenging to use. I had to watch several YouTube videos to make sure I was connected correctly. I feel like OBS should come with a user manual to make it easier for tech noobs.

JE

Juan E.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

OBS Studio

OBS Studio is accessible, reliable and very helpful to reach your audience and combine multiple platforms to connect with the people.

Pros

You can livestream a conference, a study bible service, a worship Sunday service in multiple platforms at the same time using the right tools.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to switch from one setup to another. Sometimes it freezes and you have to shut it down to make it work properly.

AW

Arthur W.

Government Relations, 51-200 employees

OBS Studio, The suite with it all

Pros

Its one easily contained package for creating complex streaming setups. Projects that used to take 2-3 programs can now be done here.

Cons

UI is a touch dated at this point. Could use a simpler overlay integration.

sr

sparsh r.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Reviewing OBS Studio

A great feature of OBS Studio is its support for various streaming platforms, including Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook Live. This makes it easy for users to stream to multiple platforms at once, increasing their reach and audience.

Pros

OBS Studio offers a wide range of advanced settings and options, such as video encoding, audio mixing, and custom hotkeys, which allows users to fine-tune their streams to their liking.

Cons

I dont think there's anything that needs to be disliked as its really helpful for me

MM

Mario M.

Utilities, 51-200 employees

an excelent software

Pros

i used to record live games with a camera

Cons

could be more simply to use and have more options

SH

Sazid H.

Information Services, 1-10 employees

Very Good Video recording and live streaming Software

OBS Studio is a very good software for video recording and live streaming. Mainly I use it for live streaming and I am very satisfied!

Pros

OBS studio is a very useful software for me. There have many good sides for us:- We can use it for free- Can record screen- Live streaming option- Live media file share option- And many more!

Cons

I feel this software is a little bit hard to understand the function for the first time.

ME

Mark E.

Broadcast Media, self-employed

Used monthly for less than 6 months

An Essential Solution

Extremely positive

Pros

Like me, If you've just upgraded to the Apple M1, M2 processor hardware you'll have discovered that great many things don't work as they should. The main one here, being video podcasting, web conferencingand plugging in video devices. OBS Studio 's best feature is its virtual camera which enables to to be seamlessly passed on Zoom and other applications.

Cons

The audio set was a bit tricky but once you've got it figured, it's easy to save as a preset.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

My experience about obs studio

Pros

the feature that impacted me the most was the multi-screen recording

Cons

personally I don't find much to improve at the moment

RR

Roya R.

Entertainment, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 2+ years

The Recorder and Broadcaster's Homeland: OBS Studio, the Free Resource

OBS Studio is the successor to the original Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) application, delivering a lot of serious Quality of Life benefits to the software and allowing for a more Professional Grade look while also not having nearly as many problems as the original OBS suffered from; while OBS Studio suffered in its earlier years because many of those who adopted to this from the original OBS were...

Pros

~ Virtually Lossless recording quality when capturing footage locally in any available framerate and resolution provided by the software. ~ Plentiful visual effects and the ability to layer multiple images and clips allows for a Broadcast Quality and Professional Grade template and appeal for any project or Live airing. ~ Customization of User Interface themes allows for proper Eye Care when in Dark Mode. ~ Users of the software who are running an Intel CPU that has QuickSync will see a reduced load on their Graphics Card by about 05% to help improve performance and stability in GPU~intensive workloads.

Cons

~ RAM consumption is high and not meant for modern systems with 016 GB or less without the proper CPU and Graphics Card combo. ~ Users who have a CPU and Graphics Card with a low core/thread/pipeline count, frequency, and VRAM can expect noticeable framerate dips and massive performance instabilities, especially when using hardware that is running on older architectures. ~ Footage may occasionally get inexplicably cropped Horizontally when imported into Vegas Pro and other video editing software for Post~Production. ~ Not fully compatible with all forms of Video Capture devices, Webcams, and Professional Grade Cameras (though there are workarounds for some forms of hardware).

AM

Aaron M.

Religious Institutions, self-employed

Why didn't I know about this sooner!

We had struggled through live streaming using a different studio for several years. We continued to have problems, because with the software we were using they limited us on the quality of the video unless we started to pay a yearly fee. On top of it, we had troubles with bugs in the system. I consulted with other people in our vocation and 90% of them pointed to OBS Studio. Once we started using this software we have never turned back, it was exactly what we needed and it has worked BEAUTIFULLY without any hiccups. We recommend it to everyone who is live streaming their services and concerts.

Pros

For live streaming our services, this has become the most valuable software we have ever used in our church and in recording videos. It was simple to set up, easy to use, and other than the occasional user error in the sound room at our church, we have had ZERO problems with this software.

Cons

There are features that I would love to be able to use on the software, but not having too many technology inclined people in the church has made some of the features for us useless, but that isn't a negative on your part, it just isn't something we can use at this time.

CH

Christopher H.

Design, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

The only screen recording app you need

I am an artist and designer and have recorded many time lapse videos, as well as art process videos, wherein I record my screen. That is just scratching the surface too, you can take it so much further. Screen in screen, switching on the fly from one screen to another for live broadcasting, custom overlays and inserts, the list goes on and on! This software is free and incredible. I cannot recommend it enough!

Pros

OBS Studio is amazing. First of all it's FREE. But quite honestly it is my go-to for screen recording over my built-in Quicktime screen recorder (on Mac) because of the versatility, quality control, ability to customize, and so many more features.

Cons

It can be complicated at first, but there are plenty of online tutorials and guides to get you up and running quickly.

DM

Dale M.

Wholesale, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Best FREE screen and stream recording software out there

Overall i've found OBS to be a great free streaming software. For the purpose of streaming its fantastic with all the 'bells and whistles' next to the paid version that are out there. I've used it in both capacities for streaming gaming to twitch, as well as an educational stream over twitch through both schools and colleges.

Pros

The fact that OBS Studio is free and open source. It has tons of support and a very well rounded community backing its use. Any issues using the software is quickly solved by the great cupport community. Other than this the software is very intuitive and easy to use, especially if the main purpose is streaming, and screen sharing across a stream.

Cons

The issue I had with the software was calibrating OBS audio so that there were no delays in the streams audio. The good thing about this however, is there is a built in audio delay where you can purposefully delay someones audio so it matches the delay of other person streaming or recording. Not only is audio delay and issue, but audio sync with the video being streamed, but this has got far beter with each version update.

Broadcast Media, self-employed

The Best Software to do a Professional Produced Broadcasting

Pros

I like the ease that this program has in all the settings and all the tools that it has, it is perfect for all the users, from the newest user to the most professional user. First of all, if you're a new user, you have a really simple new useful tool that scans your pc components and your internet connection to do the better configuration for you. In the case that you be a professional in broadcasting or video production, you have open possibilities in this software because there are a lot of plugins on the internet to modify a lot of things inside the software, at last but not less important, it is an open software and you can do anything that you need to do in this software.

Cons

So, sincerely I didn't find any cons in this software because is perfect for all the users and I appreciate all the things that could be done in this software.

MK

Melody Kay C.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Free streaming software, with the features of a paid one!

We use OBS Studio for live streaming of our church services every Sunday. It has allowed us to provide multiple views and scenes, and to insert scrolling text, our church logo, etc --- all of these we used to not be able to do when we were streaming directly from Facebook

Pros

OBS Studio has been our go-to streaming software ever since because it is FREE, first of all. There are so many features and functionalities in OBS that you'd feel like a professional when you use it for streaming. It is also very widely used that it's easy to get support for issues we encounter.

Cons

It's not that easy to learn how to use it if you're not tech-savvy. It would require a number of times of use to get used to it.

MC

Marcos C.

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

OBS Is the King of Streaming Software... For a Reason

OBS can be a pain to set up, but once you get over that initial hump, it's peerless. The feature set you have access to for free is incredible. There's a reason why most professional streamers have incorporated OBS into their workflow: it's the king. There's simply no better value out there than OBS.

Pros

The fact that you can use OBS for free is a testament to the open source community and their commitment to providing value. I've used OBS to do online workshops, host virtual events and capture screen footage. It has done every single one of those tasks flawlessly, and without costing me a penny. Hardware acceleration is well implemented, too, so you know you're getting the most out of your rig.

Cons

It can be a bit cumbersome to set up, and a bit counter-intuitive. If you've never set up a capture and streaming type of software, than it probably will take you a few YouTube tutorials before you're up and running. Commercial solutions are much more user-friendly, but cost a bunch of money.

CW

Casey W.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Best streaming software on the market

At the time I switched over to OBS, I was using the now defunct "Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder" (a mouthful). OBS was a massive improvement over existing streaming applications for a multitude of reasons. FMLE was showing it's age (and lack of support). XSplit was a heavyweight when it came to hardware requirements. And other software on the market was obscure and occupied the same space as XSplit.. only XSplit did it better. And then came OBS. Free, lightweight, open source. It was fantastic. I've never used another streaming app since.

Pros

Well for one, obviously the price tag- can't go wrong with free. But not only is it free, it's lightweight and simple. I've taught many people how to stream using OBS.

Cons

The interface can be a bit of a pain to use. It's a little too simple in my opinion. Some more functionality baked into the main UI could go a long way. This is mostly solved with the "Streamlabs OBS" version, which is built on top of OBS. Honestly it's been a while since I had to use the profile functionality, but admittedly it was a bit lacking when I did have to use it.

Computer Software, self-employed

OBS Studio is the best Free Computer Screen Recording Software

At first I could not understand the settings of OBS Studio, but after practicing it several times, doing live broadcasts, adding effects and adjusting settings each time, I was able to get an excellent experience from it, it is enough that it is free and offers very high quality sound and picture

Pros

Yes, there are many programs that offer screen recording, but the problem is that some of them are free and paid and the free programs do not contain enough features to inspire you to use them, so I will shorten the topic for you and tell you about the wonderful OBS Studio program that contains features that I love and use a lot on my device and all of this Open source and free An easy-to-use and flexible...

Cons

Sometimes while doing a live stream with OBS Studio, the stream gets stuck from minute to minute, after which it goes back to working fine There is also difficulty in the beginning to adjust the settings, but after practice you will get used to it

ZJ

Zachery J.

Law Enforcement, 5,001-10,000 employees

Streaming made easy

Positive, I have been a streamer since Starcraft 2 came out and will continue to be one into many more games. This software is amazing for being free.

Pros

For a free product this is what I use to stream. I like that it is pretty simple to use, easy walkthroughs, it's pretty much click, click ready. But the best feature has got to be how easy it is to make each layer overtop of the other. My stream has 6 layers Game,Webcam,greenscreen, followers screen,donation screen, and gamer tag. Each super easy to set up and super easy to maintain.

Cons

I don't like that it is very demanding on your pc when you start running everything through it, but then again it is a streaming software, and free so who am I to complain.

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

One of the best free recording and streaming software

When making videos for YouTube OBS make it less stressful by reducing additional editing steps. This is because the scene can be set prior to recording by OBS' editing features.

Pros

OBS Studio is free, cross platform (Windows, Mac and Linux) and open-sourced. This makes it more transparent in terms of security. And also there is a powerful community of developers backing the project which means that more features are added regularly and fewer bugs. The software has got some awesome features packed inside a decent and optimal user interface. Users can highly customize their scenes...

Cons

When it gets to settings and advanced adjustments in some features, most people gets confused with the technical terms and values. It is always better not to mess with the default values. On some devices there is a problem the with the screen recording that it becomes completely black. This can be solved by adjusting the system's graphics settings.

AD

Andrew D.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Take your livestream from amateur to awesome!

When COVID first hit and we were trying to keep some form of "contact" with our members during the shutdowns, one suggestion was to do some sort of "virtual class" to at least keep us engaged with and communicating with our members. Being a last-minute sort of idea, the implementation was very lacking. Zoom is a fantastic conferencing software, but for the purposes of broadcasting a live exercise class...

Pros

High flexibility, very robust feature set, the price is unbeatable (free for some people's purposes), and it is highly customizable.

Cons

Learning curve can be a little steep for new users, takes some time to setup scenes and sources if they aren't done already, with this many features and options there can be several points of failure, or it can get confusing if not decently experienced with it.

SK

Stefan K.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

OBS/Review

I use this app when playing games to show my friends, sometimes I turn on stream mode when I feel a little lonely in the game or when I am having a little fun.

Pros

The program is easy to use, once you have completed the required settings that fit your computer's parameters, it remains to select the broadcast source and broadcast source and then start the process. There is no limit to adding videos and other elements, and it is possible to save a local file to your computer during the stream. The program allows you to select a full-screen mode or a specific area,...

Cons

The disadvantage of the program is the inability to broadcast simultaneously with several resources and incompatibilities with legacy operating systems (Windows XP), as a result of increased functionality, increased power of the computer, but owners of old computers can help the classic version of the software.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Great software for simple and advanced users

We love using OBS and will continue using it for the foreseeable future

Pros

The software is super flexible and can be customized for different uses

Cons

Since it is open source software it can take awhile for new features to become available.

mohamed g.

Graphic Design, 501-1,000 employees

my experience in OBS Studio

In general, it is a really powerful program, and it contains a lot of things and tools that help you in capturing anything, whether for a window and recording it, or for a game, aho for a web page, and recording or creating a broadcast through it. It is really a very special program that offers a lot of advantages

Pros

From my point of view, the advantages of this program are many and different. First, ease of use. Secondly, it can record windows, display devices, capture, game recording, capture audio input and output, has a capture browser, and also has a video capture device and image slideshow, which helps all content creators anywhere. video. Capture the screen to the players or go live and broadcast it live.

Cons

One of the negatives that I encountered when recording games at the highest quality is that it consumes a lot of the processing unit