Elavon Logo

Elavon

Payment processing and chargeback management software

Elavon Reviews

3.1

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.11/10

Reviews by rating

Elavon has the best rates for non profit long time customers, any time an issue has arose contacting customer service is a breeze.
We mostly use this software for installments for payment plans. The set up of the installments and the maintenance of them is easy and user friendly.
We basically use Elavon to do pre-auth for checking in guests, so we like that we can do pre-auths with guest actually pin-approving the transaction.
Actually so bad that I had to carry an additional backup product.
So I go and pay to send back all the equipment using my own money ($420). They wind up refusing to reverse monthly costs- this process took 2 months.

SC

Stevie C.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Easy and simple

Long time satisfied customer, love that the terminal is easy to use and generally has no issues.

Pros

Cons

The only issue I have with Elavon is the price compliance needing to be completed yearly without reminders or else pay a hefty fee.

NS

Nicole S.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Challenges with communication

Pros

It seemed fairly simple to use and could get good details.

Cons

The reports are not always user-friendly to produce. The payment gateway was challenging to install into our software and had challenges with customer service and their technical department in order to finally get it done. It took a LONG time.

MD

Mai D.

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

Taking to long to handle customer issues

We don’t normally write a bad review but we got really bad experience with Elavon as well as Talech! We took over the restaurant for 3 months and started to use Elavon service, everything went well at the beginning. Till last 3 weeks, I have received a call from Elavon and said there was two accounts opened under my name and they offered to close one of the account for me to avoid additional charge....

Pros

Customer service is alright, but take too long to get back to customers

Cons

The quality of service as well as taking too long to handle customers issues

CT

Chet T.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

DO NOT USE AS THEY ARE NOT GOOD TO THE CUSTOMER

HORRIBLE!!!. Contacted to get registers for the business. Wrong ones come. They cannot get right ones now for weeks? I have a business so cannot wait. I want to send the wrongs one back since they are the wrong ones. I am told by 3 different people they will have UPS pick up. Never come. Then they come to wrong address. I am told by other employees they will send labels. They NEVER do. Then...

Pros

1 customer service rep named [sensitive content hidden] which is the only one that ever seemed to care

Cons

Everything. No accountability. No real customer service. Did not fix the problems that they caused, and it somehow cost me over $500 due to the incompetency of Elavon.

RT

Ronnie T.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Something to be said for longevity

The fees can be frustrating, and trying to determine how much will be taken out of a given transaction is difficult. That being said, in order to operate at all in this field, you must be able to accept a wide range of payments. There is no way to avoid this operating cost, so we've made the decision to use Elavon as our main payment processor. The extra costs are mitigated by the trust our customers have in us knowing we use a reputable and secure payment processor. I wish there was a way to operate where that big of a percentage of each transaction did not have to be sent to a third party in order to verify availability of funds immediately. With no real hope for that to turn into a reality, we will continue to send 2-3% of each swipe to Elavon.

Pros

Elavon is nearly synonymous with payment processing. Their name represents a company with a reputation for taking its clients' businesses very seriously. Much of what we bring in to cover operating expenses are in the form of donations. When donors find out that we utilize Elavon, they feel safer when deciding whether to donate.

Cons

You pay an increased price for Elavon when compared to other POS payment processors. While we love the services Elavon provides, we also have to consider if the increased security is worth the increased costs. To defray the costs, we have begun using other processors for specific tasks.

LL

Lori L.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Comparatively high priced and difficult to use.

I didn't like it. I found it difficult to use and complicated compared to others.

Pros

The USA based personal support person I was assigned as a go between. He fid basically handle any questions or issues but the POS system wasn't reliable.

Cons

The POS device was high priced compared to most difficult to use and I couldn't depend on it taking the sale. It was hit or miss. Actually so bad that I had to carry an additional backup product.

CA

Cori A.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Works well for our purposes, can be pricey

Elavon was easy to set up and use. It functions well and rarely has technical issues. The prices can be fairly steep when they are increased (which seems to occur every year) but customer service is often willing to work with you to keep the prices reasonable for a small firm such as ours. Overall, I am pleased with Elavon, but I do not have another product to compare it to.

Pros

This software is easy to learn and use. The processes are intuitive and it rarely has technical problems.

Cons

The fees on the invoice are a little hard to understand, and sometimes seem to change without warning. The yearly price increases are steep.

CK

Craig K.

Retail, 51-200 employees

Decent functionality, terrible customer support

As a payment gateway it works, expensive but it works. For the backend compliance, to say it's difficult to use is an understatement. But in summary for the experience with Elavon is that their support will threaten you over a live chat rather than provide you with the information needed or help you in any meaningful way. I don't typically write reviews, but when it gets to the point that the support isn't helpful, you can't be directed to speak to anyone else and... when you ask to send a compliant etc, the individual just tells you to send the information to them... well it's indicative of this companies internal policies.

Pros

It works as a payment gateway and seems to have been set up correctly to function.

Cons

The backend compliance isn't user friendly but their support is even worse.

GG

Gerardo G.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Not the best merchant solution out there

Elavon is not a great solution for a hospitality business like our, it is more for a retail store.

Pros

Cons

Whenever we need to complete a pre-authorization is the most complicated process we have ever seen.

RM

Robert M.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Superb and Secure Payment Processing

Pros

The customer service team was extremely helpful while setting up and configuring the payment gateway

Cons

Required a lot of interactions with the account managers

MR

Matthew R.

Food & Beverages, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Theft - stay away

Pros

They were excellent before they started stealing money.

Cons

Had an account with Helcim/Elavon. They decided to split and I stuck with Helcim. Little did I know, Elavon had a separate account and were charging us $99.99 monthly under the generic description, "Merchant Fees" which I didn't catch for quite some time. When I finally found out it was Elavon over a year later, I called for a refund, was hung up on several times and was refused a refund despite never receiving a single notice by mail, email, call or text about my "contract" or bill. I had recommended Helcim/Elavon for years, but it looks like Helcim was doing the good work for customer service. This industry lives and dies by reputation and Elavon has decided to take shortcuts for quick profits at the expense of long-term gains. What they are doing is theft. Stay away.

AL

Amber L.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Easy to Use, Great Customer Service

It has been great. If I have ever had any questions on a transaction, I have always been able to call in and get my question answered.

Pros

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about this software. It is easy to use and implement and it is reliable.

RG

Roxana G.

Wholesale, self-employed

They dont care about costumer service

Sucks it is true no one helps you fo yourself a favor stay away

Pros

Nothing at all n ot good no one helps no one care they just charge hudge

Cons

I can't talk to no one they put you on hold forever

JG

Julie G.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Elavon -BI

Pros

We love have a POS machine in our office for our repair shop payments.

Cons

We wish Elavon thru Bank Independent was compatible with Frazer.