Foxit PDF Reader Logo

Cloud-based and on-premise PDF reader.

Foxit PDF Reader Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.68/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

jotform-4-0
abbyy-finereader

I use it every day in my work and it is wonderful. You can put stamps, signatures, change the color of the highlighter among other super cool things.
But what I like the most is that I can highlight on the file, so I don't have to print the document but still be able to note what I want to. And I do love the electronic signature as well.
Foxit is still supports windows 07 which is beneficial to older version users. Highlighting and commenting is easy and I like it very much the way they offer to highlight.
I have had trouble trying to open PDFs with Foxit Reader after I use the Foxit Reader printer to create the PDF. I have not been able to find the problem causing this.
There is a lack of counting the number of pages, at least in the mobile version, difficulties to synchronize with the cloud sporadically.
While I was using windows 7, after some heavy use, sometimes it crashes. It's a bit annoying for me sometimes I get some ads when I am working.

Andrew A.

Student

E-Learning, 201-500 employees

The best free PDF viewer and editor!

Transcript

Andrew: My name's Andrew. I'm a Co-Founder. And I give Foxit Reader a rating of five out of five. And...

Evan G.

Cloud Infrastructure Engineer

Computer Networking, 10,001+ employees

Good alternative to Adobe

Transcript

Evan: Hi, my name is Evan, I'm a Cloud Engineer and I'm reviewing Foxit Reader. I would rate it a four...

Abel A.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Foxit PDF Reader the best PDF editor and E-Signature Software.

Ok, my company adopted the e-memo practice using Foxit pdf reader which has made approval to time. The e-signature also has helped my company to quickly and securely close some deals lately. Above all we have been able to convert our multiple company's document into a single company pdf file. It's awesome all along with this wonder application.

Pros

I like the fact that with foxit PDF reader I can edit text, merge multiple files, write comments and insert digital signature. My company has adopted e-memo system using this software and approval time has drastically reduce ever since. This is a fantastic software.

Cons

I just noticed that the free version crashes easily but the inexpensive paid version has been stable.

Banking, 1,001-5,000 employees

Foxit Reader - Basic PDF editor built in

Genially Foxit gives you smooth operational capabilities when it comes to PDFs. Even creating a PDF or print to a PDF is just one click away.

Pros

The most loved feature is you get basic PDF editing facility free of charge with Foxit Reader. So you can edit basic stuff using Foxit Reader without any cost.

Cons

Nothing much. Just that Foxit already opens with a default start page. Sometimes it is bit annoying but can be easily fixable.

BF

Brandon F.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Meh

Not 100% happy. We're working on engineering documents and I find myself still going back to bluebeam. From the user interfaces being drastically different from PC to Mac to offline access issues to simple functionality problems this is a mess from top to bottom in my opinion, however a few small tweaks and alterations and this will be a great program.

Pros

The PC version is much better than the Mac version. Not many pros to add. Customer service is great and friendly.

Cons

You can literally do the same thing twice in a row with two different outcomes. There seems to always be a special secret little way to change something that normally would just be at the top and simple to access. An example of the terrible layout is in the comment tab. If you click the comment tab then the comment format tab is NINE TABS AWAY to the right lol. Bluebeam is way better and I would not...

DS

Dana S.

Automotive, 201-500 employees

Overall Good

Pros

The program is very easy to use. Transfering files is simple with Foxit.

Cons

An already saved PDF is not easy to convert and edit.

SUCCESS I.

Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 employees

Foxit Reader is the best PDF reader on the market

Foxit reader is used to convert files to PDF according to my client's needs on Fiverr. It is a great tool for writing freelance service.

Pros

Foxit reader enables plugin to Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Microsoft Excel to enable file conversion to PDF in just one click. Foxit reader also allows free offline conversion.

Cons

Foxit reader has no Cons all through my usage as it satisfies all my needs.

Frederic D.

Music, self-employed

Better then acrobat reader

Simpy better then adobe reader in my opinion

Pros

I have been using this product already a decade I think so... I like the ease of use and all the extras it offers

Cons

I think this is the most perfect pdf reader, and do not realy have any complaints

EMEL K.

Automotive, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 6-12 months

Biggest competitor to Adobe Acrobat: Foxit Reader

Free version has many basic features and lets you do all the job if you're OK with the adds. Compared to other free version readers, I think Foxit has the lead with it's features. Performance of the program also good, never crashed or stopped working. So it is reliable. I can recommend to anyone.

Pros

First thing to mention about Foxit Reader is the useful interface. Accessibility of the menu and document view options are quite encouraging to review documents. Navigation inside the menu and through the documents are easy. It can open other documents such as Word (.doc) so you dont need to convert to pdf files in order to open with Foxit. You can easily convert documents from pdf format to Word or from Word to pdf. format.

Cons

You may need payment for further conversion options and for removing adds. I do not see any performance or reliability issues so far during my experience with this product.

Jose Manuel L.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Fox it. You get what you need

I like this software because it opens pdf files quicky, and I think that It would take some to get use to the look and feel of this software (too many years with Adobre Acrobat Reader)

Pros

Open pdf files very quicky, so it means that it doesn't consume too many computer resources

Cons

There's nothing really negative about this product. The only problem it is that I've been using acrobat reader for many years, and I feel strange with other software

Slash Marky P.

Business Supplies and Equipment, self-employed

the best change i have made

a very rewarding experience because it met all my expectations and I have it as default on my computer.

Pros

It is a very light software, which has helped me to carry out many tasks, such as my career thesis and its tools are precise.

Cons

I would like them to improve the appearance of the software and have a dark theme, also a better icon design.

Lori E.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

Save time and excel with foxit

I'll start from the beginning we are refinancing our house and covid just had a big outbreak with omicron so there wasn't much in person communication. So me and the realtor did it all through email. And the only way we could get a legit signature was an online software. Foxit wasn't my first choice DocuSign was what a disappointment. Foxit was my second choice and not a disappointment at all we got all the paperwork signed and dated and we close on the house Friday.

Pros

Well like I said in times of covid-19 there is not much in person communication we did it all through email and digital signatures refinancing my house and we close Friday thank you foxit now my house payment is lower and we should be moving along fine

Cons

Nothing there is nothing I did not like about this software

Construction, 1-10 employees

A great option for the workplace

Foxit reader works great and I have had no issues with its functionality. It is not the most popular however so a few programs that are designed speciffically to work with Adobe pdf reader, (such as Quickbooks Online) do not appear correctly. It is a very minor issue and most people woundn't even notice so I would highly recomend Foxit Reader to anyone looking for an alternative to Adobe.

Pros

I use Foxit Reader with Foxit PhantomPDF and it is a wonderful combo. It is much cheaper than Adobe and has all the same functionality from what I can tell.

Cons

Foxit is not the most commonly used pdf reader so some things do present better on Adobe Pdf Reader and you may need a version of it to get some documents to appear correctly.

CY

Chris Y.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

works well with others

Speed of transition and ability to communicate with others via the universality and security of pdf files has been a great timesaver for us. Foxit is much more efficient and easier to use than similar Adobe products and others. Foxit has helped us to evolve in the workplace and be more efficient and create new ways to advance how we do business.

Pros

The ability to create stamps and stamp documents (for us it is exhibits) is very useful and it is simple to use. The ability to copy text or pictures from word or email or almost anywhere and be able to edit that into a pdf is a tremendous timesaver. Converting docs and other formats to pdf is seamless and easy. Foxit Reader has help us streamline many daily functions.

Cons

There are only two issues with Foxit. First, we used to be able to right click and applicable file (docs, jpegs, email, etc.) and convert to pdf. That feature stopped working after an update and we have been unable to get that back. We can still convert once the file is open, but it is a little more time consuming. The other issue is that sometimes Foxit can use up tremendous system resources causing freezing and sometimes rebooting becomes necessary. This seems to have been improving, but it can cost time and cause losses of information not saved. Of course, we back everything up regularly, but to lose what was created within the last 15-30 minutes can sometimes take hours to recreate.

XA

Xorla A.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Extremely user friendly

The multi-tab feature within a single application window was a really amazing addition when it was first introduced. While doing research, I would usually have multiple documents open simultaneously. And this feature made it very seamless moving between documents. My overall experience with Foxit has been awesome.

Pros

What I liked most about Foxit Reader was how easy it was to use. The application file was easily accessible online for download, the size of the file was very minimal, and installation was very quick. The user interphase is also very user-friendly, and it actually fixed and opened files other PDF readers I was using said were corrupted.

Cons

I was disappointed that the free version does not allow you to create PDF files from certain file types.

KC

Kimberly C.

Industrial Automation, 10,001+ employees

Foxit is the Best PDF Reader on the Market

Foxit is a fantastic program. It has made my life much easier as I have to edit and manipulate documents constantly in my work responsibilities. It is a much more user-friendly program to use with PDF's than the more widely used adobe program.

Pros

I absolutely love the editing tools in Foxit. It makes it very easy to manage pdf documents that you need to combine, edit, and manipulate into fully proofread, polished documents for sending and filing.

Cons

I was not aware of it until my company loaded it to my computer. I think the Foxit company should do a better job of marketing the Foxit product. I recently had a co-worker go to work at another company and she said that the new company had never heard of Foxit and now she is forced to go back to using Adobe which limits your ability to edit and manage pdf documents. If Foxit were more universally known, it would be even better!

mm

mupo m.

Computer Networking, 1-10 employees

A wide-ranging portable pdf-reader.

Foxit Reader takes up very little room on the hard disk. It fulfills my requirements in that it is fast and easy to use, allowing me to install it on a variety of computers. The app has provided a fantastic user experience; it goes above and beyond what is required of it.

Pros

I use Foxit Reader on a regular basis because it is the PDF reader that we use at work, and it has easily surpassed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as the only PDF reader available. The program opens files easily and it loads quickly. I like to use the Safe Reading function to access files that I am not familiar with. This is particularly useful since certain files can contain viruses.

Cons

From the time I started using the program, I have not come across Cons.

Banking, 10,001+ employees

Lightweight and handy PDF editor

This is the best PDF file editor on the market. No other has so many file editing features. I recommend.

Pros

Foxit Reader is a lightweight, easy-to-use and feature-rich PDF editor. Through this software, I can include comments, mark up text, add a password to open the file, and many other features. In addition to all this, it also has extension to save to PDF.

Cons

I have been using this software for over 10 years and have never had problems using it. The only downside is that it has an ad, perhaps because it is open source software.

SS

Shoaib S.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

A great PDF reader

Foxit is our default goto pdf reader. We use proof reading and making suggestions with the comment features using the "Call Out" feature. It also saves us the trouble of having to print papers just to have them stamped and signed.

Pros

You can convert any document file whether its in word format or excel or powerpoint straight to pdf by right clicking and choosing convert to FoxitPDF. It just a wonderful feature. Also adding notes, comments, using pen to draw if you have touch screen laptop makes editing pdf alot easier. BEST feature is having the ability to sign documents and save multiple signatures, stamps etc. This feature alone has saved us time and money.

Cons

When you open multiple pdfs, it opens in a separate TAB, like how it does in internet explorers. Its very annoying if you want to compare or have 2 pdfs side by side.

EM

Eric M.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

One of the best PDF reader on the market

I´ve been using Foxit pdf reader for around 10 years and I can´t complain. It is a good PDF reader and many features besides the "PDF reader" was included such as the sign option that I have been using a lot since the beginning of 2020. Comments, notes, and highlights are important features for university usage to suggest corrections and highlight parts of the text that you think it is important or that need to be changed

Pros

The software is easy-to-use. It was translated into several languages which are good for non-English speakers. Many years ago (I believe around 10 years) I changed from adobe pdf reader and I do not regret the change. A lot of new usable features were included during this time. The size (HD space requirement) and HD/memory usage of the software were great advantages back then in comparison with competitors and now it is still a very good advantage in this comparison. As a visualization all notes and comments section already exist in the lateral tab, it is easy to analyze all notes and comments without miss anyone.

Cons

I think it requires a personalization tab in comments that allows changing the color of the letters. Now you are only able to change the size (at least it is the easily available editing), especially in the typewriter tab. A hide/show button for all notes might be interesting as it is difficult to read with many notes on the same page and you have to change the location of the note icon if you have put it in the exact location the note should be done in the text (sometimes it ended up on top of a word.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Easy and affordable PDF solution

Pros

The reader is a free and more secure alternative to Adobe Acrobat Reader. Is very easy to deploy . Foxit CO. sells also Phantom PDF that offers Acrobat PRO like features at lower price Both can be used and licensed on remote desktop services

Cons

The support to the PDF/A format could be improved,

GJ

Gabriel Junqueira S.

Construction, 1-10 employees

So much more than just a free PDF reader

I create pdf files everyday. So before sending them out to my clients, I also must check all those files. Foxit allows me to deal with multiple files at once easily, and also allows for 'on the fly' corrections and digital signing. Because of that, Foxit got incorporated into my workflow now, and it makes me more productive.

Pros

It goes far beyond what you would expect from a free PDF reader. Starting from the interface, which looks nice and yet efficiently organizes a lot of options and tools in a familiar, instinctive way. Anyone who is familiar with the most popular office software suit out there will breeze through Foxit's functionalities. I also love the way it handles multiple files, with tabs for each opened file. It...

Cons

The free version show a few ads for the company's other products (paid and free), which is to be expected. However, it does not get to be annoying. Sometimes it can actually be useful because it may lead you to one of their free online services that just happen to be what you need, such as their free file conversion tools.

RS

Rebecca S.

Great PDF software

Overall I love this software and use it as my primary PDF reader.

Pros

Free to use. Has easy signature and typing tools. The signature image upload allows for multiple signature images to be kept on file. The ability to format the typing tool in color and size is great. It also works with fillable forms too. I also like that you can have multiple tabs open at the same time and flip between them. I use this software daily and prefer it over the free version of Adobe Reader.

Cons

The only thing that I have run into is a glitch where, sometimes when I print a PDF with signature, the signature will display upright, but it prints upside down. Not sure why that happens. Maybe a need an update.

DP

Daniel P.

Internet, self-employed

Great Product, Poor Sales/Customer Service

The company makes it incredibly difficult to reach someone, and although the company boasts being a cheaper option than Adobe, they certainly don't care about helping on the expensive standalone license. They push hard for the yearly licensing. I find that the company is what makes the experience bad, not the software itself. They are not interested in communicating with you at all. As of this writing, their website is created so that the only way you can communicate is via phone or support ticket. No email address. And when they do communicate with you they will blatantly stay they are not interested in providing a discount unless you purchase a volume license.

Pros

I really enjoyed the software overall. The layout, the tab structure of having multiple PDFs open, and all the editing options out in the open. I find it significantly easier to use than Adobe Acrobat.

Cons

There is nothing I didn't like about the software. It takes a Microsoft Office approach to the layout, which most people are familiar with. Very easy to use. Sadly, the company makes it incredibly difficult to reach someone, and although the company boasts being a cheaper option than Adobe, they certainly don't care about helping on the expensive standalone license. They push hard for the yearly licensing.

AG

Archit G.

Biotechnology, 10,001+ employees

Foxit reader is the best pdf reader ever

Pros

The foremost feature that I like about this pdf reader which even Adobe reader also doesn't have it is to click or capture the pictures from the document. This saves a lot of time especially while making a presentation based on the pdf. Another feature which Adobe implemented after seeing foxit reader is the tabs. When multiple PDFs are open, it organizes them into tabs which is simply useful. This is the best pdf reader ever.

Cons

The software functionality for Linux version is still lagging behind. If the same functionality as the windows version will be added, it will be a game changer.

Syazila R.

Oil & Energy, 1,001-5,000 employees

PDF reader and editor

I have a good experience with this software, as it is not only a PDF reader, but i also can have some editing tools with it.

Pros

Foxit reader is very fast in opening the PDF files for viewing, and also has many tools within in to edit and altering the PDF document. I can open multiple PDF document at the same time without making the software work slower and heavy.

Cons

Foxit Reader installation package is packed with bloated software and i will have do uninstall all the other additional software that are install on my computer manually. The additional software has no related feature to the main software that i am installing.

Constantin A.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Developer

Pros

This software has a moderate size, a well developed GUI; I liked search tool, the conversion into pdf tool. One could easily sign, comment and even edit files.

Cons

It was not possible to edit all scanned pdf. Also, it would be good if they can show the number of results when one launches a research. The last element is that some tools need to be connected to internet.