All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Screencastify

Screen record, edit, and share within Chrome browser

Screencastify Reviews

Pros

Feel like I could show this to anyone and they pick it right up it is that easy. Like that you can share HD videos and the quality is seamless.

Read the full review
Deam simple to use screencast software that makes great recordings. Pricing is fantastic for what you get, even the free version worth using.

Paul C.

Read the full review
Thanks to screencastify I have created tutorials with great versatility and adaptability, allows me to use support media easily, simplifying resources and taking advantage of time.

Manuel Alejandro C.

Read the full review

Cons

Sometimes this got hanged and need to perform all the things again which is bad.

Tarsem T.

Read the full review
I wish a popup would come up on the screen with a stop button. Because going back up to hit the stop button sometimes adds unwanted sound and seconds to my videos.

Erin F.

Read the full review
I was unable to open the professional version of the software. I was told by my IT department that I needed to use my corporate login, that was not the truth.

John A.

I love Screencastify!

I am extremely pleased with how simple it has been to use Screencastify. I've been able to record screen recordings that can be quickly shared with students and teammates. I love it!

Pros

Screencastify is a phenomenal and easy to use tool for teachers and students! It has so many great features. First, you have the ability to create videos of your screen (with or without your headshot). This can be used to "flip" the classroom, frontload with information, students who are out sick, for small groups that are working on different topics, differentiation, or for centers activities....

Cons

To be honest, I have no complaints about Screencastify. I only need the ability to record short videos that can be shared with students or teammates, and Screencastify helps me accomplish that goal. I'm also able to do what I need to do with the free version, but have considered the subscription so that I can get access to more minutes per month. It's a great platform - give it a try!

Works well with Google Classroom Integration

I am able to quickly record my screen and it allows you to open other screens without having to add permissions. Also easy to follow with the circle for mouse clicks and highlights. Can imbed webcam at the bottom of the video, or it will disappear once you start showing online actions.

Pros

I enjoy how easy it is to use and how quickly the video is processed. It easily integrates into Google Suite for Education products.

Cons

I wish the editing capabilities were a bit more robust. There are some capabilities in the paid version.

Screencastify Your Stars

In distance learning, it has been a platform that allows me to teach, check and assess language and language development in my students, even though we are in a virtual learning environment.

Pros

This product allows me to support my students with their language acquisition by creating videos. The videos show me how well they can read, make an oral presentation or recite a poem.

Cons

The fact that students can record videos, as well as embedded videos with text, is great. Perhaps we need directions and support in both Spanish and English for a more comprehensive North American version.

Works just fine. Could use some attention.

Quick way to share video tutorials.

Pros

This is affordable and simple to install solution for screen capture and video sharing. I like to use the software for capturing video tutorials and explanations to accompany my email clarifications. It is conveniently accessible and ultimately does the trick. It is nice to have the options to save or upload and share a link.

Cons

This is not always compatible on mobile. Some time the uploads for videos freeze and must be recorded again. Also, the selection of the screen that you wish to record is sometimes confusing and I have managed to record nothing but my voice. Overall, it does the trick but I wouldn't be able to confidently recommend.

Screencastify in Anderson One

I have been using Screencastify for four years now. I love how it continues to update and add new features that teachers find useful. The video editor has been one of my favorite additions that I use regularly.

Pros

As a K-12 Instructional Technologist in Anderson One, I rely on and use Screencastify on a regular basis. I use Screencastify to record how-to tutorials for my teachers, administrators, and even parents and students in our district. Screencastify is very easy to use. I love the ability to edit my video and upload to YouTube all within Screencastify.

Cons

I would love the ability to record my screen and have the option to also have my webcam showing me in the bottom of the screen. We have seen this option in Loom and would like it added to Screencastify as well.

A basic screen recording tool for on the go use

I used to take lots of screenshots, annotate them, add them to lengthy chats or emails to explain tasks to my remote employees. It was literally the most time-consuming task of the day for me. Screencastify managed to cut this time by over 75%. I could simply record what I was doing and explaining my thought process for them to follow without any deviation. It saved my a lot of work hours, cant thank enough.

Pros

This was my first screen recording tool and I must say it did the job pretty good. I haven't used it in some time, so I can not discuss the current features. But I can easily say it, Screencastify did make my life a lot easier. I used it as a chrome app and it was very light and fast. It was very easy to start the app and do a short clip of recroding for explainer video.

Cons

I used the free version of Screencastify and it had a limited video duration of 10 minutes. I had to break my tutorials into 10 minute long segments. There was a total video per month limitation too, though I never reached thar. It was a bother splitting videos in to 10 minutes segments, but on the other hand, I was using the free versioin of the app and cant expect everything they have on the paid plan.

Forget recording via Google Meet

We had to find an alternative for using Google Meet's native screen recording when it was made a premium feature and Screencastify not only replaced it but surpassed it. It's very easy to use, I can annotate the recording in real-time - good for highlighting or drawing moustaches - and quickly edit and export it afterwards.

Pros

Screencastify is so easy to install, easy to export and has some great editing and instant scribing features.

Cons

The only downside is that it's limited to Chrome.

GREAT tool for Education

Like the product very much. Very well develop and easy to use

Pros

Super easy to deploy for Google Education platform. Very friendly on how to use it and have great resources and how to for education

Cons

It is sad that when you go Unlimited or to the paying option you have to choose the unlimited Record/Edit/Submit. It will be great to have an option for all in one option with a great discount :)

Screencastify

I have been extremely pleased with the free version of Screencastify. The time limit has not been a problem.

Pros

Screencastify is an easy and straightforward site to capture screen recordings of all things on your device. Makes for powerful learning videos.

Cons

I wish I could change the default setting for the share feature of all my videos instead of having to do this one by one.

Good choice for tutorials

I use the extension primarily to make a tutorial videos for my trainees and audience. But recently I discovered that Zoom can actually record the screen perfectly without the annoying 5 min limit that screencastify bothers me with every time I launch the extension.

Pros

The feature I liked the most is that the extension allows me to upload the recorded video directly to my YouTube channel without the need of downloading it to my PC.

Cons

1. The limit of 5 min in the free version. 2. Takes much time to upload the video on my Google Drive.

Screencastify is awesome!

I use it mostly to record any procedures or even any task that I want others to get done. I show them step by step on what to do so that there is no room for misunderstandings and everyone is on the same page.

Pros

It is so simple to use. Just download the extension and viola! Whenever you need to record your screen with voice-over just click on the extension, choose your preferences, click record select which tab or screen (if you have multiple screens like I do) and wait for the countdown. And yes, you are able to choose how long you want the countdown to be. Once you hit zero you can start speaking and showing...

Cons

You have to use it with chrome only. There is a limit to the length of the videos and you can only record a certain number of videos a month unless if you pay of course. The free version also adds a watermark to the videos but its small and in the corner and you hardly ever notice it.

Simple and Effective Screencast Tool

I love being able to create flipped lessons for my students and staff with this tool and that it simply saves them to my Google Drive for easy access. This allows me to create lessons around common issues so that students can go back and watch them whenever they need to. This frees me up to spend more time conferencing with other students.

Pros

The best feature is that Screencastify is a Google extension that can record right from your web browser and then save directly to your Google Drive. This is great because it is very simple to share it out or give someone access to this recording. I also like that you are able to screen share as well as add your own image/picture in picture to this. This is great when you are creating flipped videos and lesson for students. Everything is pretty simple to use and quick.

Cons

One big hiccup is the fact that it only saves to a specified file type to your Google Drive. This is a problem if you want to upload this file to another program, or download and send as an attachment. I was able to find that there is a Google Drive add-on that is able to read video files and convert as needed. Also- under the free version you are limited to any editing tools, as well as time limit. I don't usually go over 10 minutes so this is fine, but you'll need the premium if you want longer videos.

Pour faire un tuto vidéo, y a pas plus simple

Handy, ça m'a aidé/simplifié mes tâches de formation

Pros

J'ai connu le screencast grâce à screecastify ; La création de mode opératoire et bonne pratique n'est jamais évident et les textes ne parles pas toujours à tout le monde. Une vidéo c'est simple rapide mais ça te montre quoi faire et comment le faire.

Cons

Avant, le temps d'enregistrement était de 10 min sur la version gratuite. Actuellement, ça a été réduit à 5... dommage, pour certaines manipulations ce n'est malheureusement pas suffisant et diviser une manip sur deux vidéos n'est pas ce qu'il y a de mieux.

Best screecasting tool for the money

I use this tool daily. I support school administrators and teachers with their student information system. Creating a screencast to actually demonstrate what I'm trying to teach or troubleshoot with grades, etc. is priceless!

Pros

It has a Chrome extension that when installed only takes two clicks to begin your recording. It also saves to your Google Drive.

Cons

The free version of this software does not allow you to edit your videos. I wish they included that. But the mere cost of $49/year/users isn't too pricy to get the editing feature.

Amazing product - highly recommended!

The ability to quickly and easily capture screen recordings on my Chromebook and share them via Google Drive.

Pros

Easy to use, automatically uploads to Google Drive and creates a sharing link with 1 click, allows cropping duration or part of screen, selecting to record tab or whole screen, audio from tab, user or off. I've tried lots of other screencasting offerings and this is by far the best I've used. Soon after purchase I got in touch with some questions about how to do a couple of things and they were prompt and polite and answered everything. Seriously, this software is amazing and I use it most days and love it!

Cons

David, Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm really glad to hear about your positive experience. Please do reach out if you have questions or more feature requests in the future! James

Easy, powerful and flexible

We started with the free version (limits to 5 minutes of recording and, I believe, has a water mark). After realizing that showing staff how to do something is more beneficial than creating "how to" documents, we purchased a couple licenses to try it out. From there, more and more staff wanted to use it and we currently sit at 15 licenses that we can "check out" as needed to any of our staff. No regrets in our purchase and our staff love it.

Pros

Very simple to set up and easy to use (even our non-technical staff use it often). Installation is simply adding a Chrome Extension and then assigning a license to an email account. Having the flexible licensing (allowing us to transfer a license from one user to another as needed) is great since recording videos, typically, isn't a daily need. The options are easy to understand allowing the user to share a desktop, browser tab and even show the presenter in-screen on the recording. The addition of drawing tools really enhance the entire package. Cost is low and well worth it.

Cons

Honestly, there is very little to not like about Screencastify. Any issues that we've had have always come down to user error (such as the webcam not being installed or plugged in). I did not rank customer service since we've never had to use them. That, to me, says volumes about how easy the product is to use.

Screencastify the most versatile screencasting software

This one tool provides more opportunities than almost any other for onsite and distance learning. It's easy to learn, easy to install the extension on Google Chrome, and offers integration with Google Classroom and the ability to export to YouTube. Great all-around video tool

Pros

My school district provides the upgraded version of Screencastify and it has been the best tech tool for teaching during Covid. It allows teachers to show students how to navigate a webpage, allows them to record with their face in the video or not, and offers so much flexibility for sharing information with kids. The editing tools are easy to use, and the options for exporting the videos are robust. This is an easy tool to use with so many possibilities.

Cons

I wish my blooper recordings could go away easier--I always feel guilty having the recording process and then putting it in the trash can!

Best Screen Recorder for Classroom Teachers and Students

I have been using Screencastify for years. Ever since I was a classroom teacher and now that I train teachers in my district and around the state it is one of my top 5 go to programs to show and use with all teachers K-12.

Pros

The ease of use coupled with it's integration into the GSuite platform makes this an invaluable tool for all school employees but especially teachers and even students to create and demonstrate learning at a fundamental level.

Cons

The free version is great but the lack of being able to do basic edits made it hard to implement across the district. However, at the current price point purchasing the district license is a no brainer.

Just keeps getting better...

I use it for quick tutorial for teachers, reflections for students, recording directions. It's great for screen recording or making presentations with audio!

Pros

I've been using this product for about 2 years and it just keeps getting better! First off, the free version is great! What you get for nothing is hard to beat. The ability to quickly screen record a lesson, tutorial, etc. is awesome. And it's so simple to use. I also love that it links seamlessly with my Google Drive and other social media platforms. They are constantly providing helpful updates, as well. Plus, their customer service and help site is very helpful.

Cons

Due to fact that they update so often (which is good), it is difficult to keep up. Nothing major really changes, they just keep you on your toes with all the simple updates and changes they make!

I love that it can easily capture and store videos on google drive.

It's helps increase my productivity and communication between myself and my accounts.

Pros

I love that it's an extension in Chrome. The ease of saving videos in my Google Drive and sharing those links is definitely the biggest advantage.

Cons

The UI feels clunky at times. It is sometimes slow to start and while I understand that may just be my connection, the lack of an offline option is also a drawback.

Hey Mary, thanks so much for your review! We truly appreciate it. One quick note - Screencastify does work offline (though of course you won't be able to save to your Google Drive until you go back online). So even if you're offline, just click record and everything should work fine - though again the video will only save locally until you go back online. Please let me know if you have any questions or trouble recording offline. Thanks again! James

I used this to make screenshots/videos

Pros

I liked the ability use keyboard shortcuts and to do screenshots or videos. The mark up features were useful as well to point things out to clients we send shots to.

Cons

I found that my library would get fill rather quickly and that many times we would have to remove old shots in order to take an share new ones. Sometimes when that happens the old videos we had shared were cut off and no longer visible.

Great for instructional videos

Overall, it has been great! The videos automatically upload to my Google drive making it that much easier to share them with my students.

Pros

I love that it captures my viewboard screen so I can share examples with my students. I did not need any extra equipment and it took about 2 minutes to allow permissions and I was ready to record.

Cons

The share screen label will not go away. I can move it, but it is a distraction when I have to move to continue working out a math problem for my students.

Great Tool but Pricey for Pro Features

Screencastify is a great, free screen recording program for people looking to get started with making videos.

Pros

Screencastify is simple and intuitive to use. If you are looking to make short screen sharing or presentation videos, it is a great tool. The video quality is high and the integrated browser add-on makes it easy to record quickly.

Cons

The price of pro features, at an organizational level, is a little pricey. Also, only allowing 5 minute video recordings in the free version seems a little short. All you are promoting is users making multiple 5 minute videos as opposed to one long one - still the same end game. Let the user have unlimited recording length and just brand the video for free users.

Screencastify Makes Screen Sharing a Breeze

This is an extremely useful tool as a Client Success Manager because it provides the perfect solution when an email would take to long and the issue or solution would not be as easy to describe over a phone call.

Pros

The Screencastify plug-in makes it very easy to quickly record my sceen and download it into a sharable video.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about this tool

Acceptable Free Trial

Pros

I use the free trial version. What I like most about this extension is that it automatically uploads my videos to Drive once I am done recording! It is super easy to just quickly record a bunch of videos and find them exactly where I need them afterward. I love that it captures the screen I am using and I can narrate while moving around and moving between tabs. The audio is clear.

Cons

I use the free trial so I only have 50 videos to record every month, and if you need to re-record, it goes quick! Sometimes the videos take a long time to process in my drive and I will have to come back the next day if I want to do anything with them. I wish a popup would come up on the screen with a stop button. because going back up to hit the stop button sometimes adds unwanted sound and seconds to my videos.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.