Coda Logo

Coda

Text and spreadsheet documents management solution

Coda Reviews

User ratings

4.6

• Likelihood to recommend8.76/10

See full reviews by rating

The ease of use of Coda is a big draw, as is its flexibility. The ability to set things up and customise to make it work exactly as I need is great.
Has a lot of integrations, has powerful table functionality, is has some very nice original features like creating a webpage out of documents.
It has helped all of our departments collaborate more effectively, and new features are constantly being added and improved. Plus, Coda support is always super helpful.
We need to get critical company info out of heads and recorded fast. Loading up Coda was slow and they messed with the structure of docs too much to the point where we lost track of what went were.
No desktop app available + doesn't work well with Safari (a problem for Mac users).

Coda users...

Director of Investor Relations

Venture Capital & Private Equity, 11-50 employees

Coda is the best!

Transcript

Emily: Hi, my name is Emily and I'm a strategic growth manager and I give Coda a ranking of four. And...

Coda User Review

Transcript

Dave: Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a director of a design agency. And today I'll be reviewing Coda, which...

A couple of weeks and you'll be in love with Coda

2 weeks are all it takes for you to fall in love with Coda. Starting is not the smoothest process, but the power and flexibility it gives us make it totally worth it. The free tier is more than enough for most solo users. Managers will simply want to get the team plan because it is the one app you'll need to put it all together.

Pros

Coda is extremely powerfull. I love the hability to centralize in one document all the data my team uses.

Cons

The one feature that needs urgently to be deployed/improved is the 2-way sync of lookups, but for same table and different tables lookups.

Great reinvention of the spreadsheet

Love playing with the new features but is lacking in the mobile experience at the same level of detail they put into the desktop experience.

Pros

Love the design and look and feel of coda. Have been using it for 4 years or so. It has come a long way. Its very easy to use and intuitive. It made creating and organizing data very fun for me.

Cons

The desktop experience is amazing. The team is constantly improving it and adding cool new features. The mobile experience and app is probably one of the worst I've ever seen/used. They have barely made changes or improved the design and usability of it since it came out. It's very frustrating and irritating to use. It's very glitchy. I initially used coda alit, until I needed to use it more and more on my phone. Eventually I had to move back to Google sheets because the app experience makes it so much easier to view and edit your documents.

Awesome building ground for digital transformation in an SMB

We’ve basically integrated all the customer orders from our contact center with our production and logistics team from a single doc. It’s so versatile. Each week we find more and better ways to build it even further

Pros

The possibilities of use are infinite and even with this, they keep improving and launching new functionalities and improvements every week. It’s amazing how tight the community around Coda is and how much they listen to feedback

Cons

The only con is a limit in their API that has given me some trouble when integrating docs to other apps through Zapier. Once they get to big (too many rows and elements) the API starts failing. Ut’s easy to solve with a netter architecture of the doc and backup automations

Awesome product!

We use coda as a data hub to let the entire team understand where we are and what we are doing. It helped a lot having everyone on the same page.

Pros

I love how it is easy to manage data thanks to view. Very easy to link with external data source. Our entire team processes are now managed with Coda.

Cons

It lacks of export features for graphs.

Exactly what I was looking for

When I came into my position, there was a lot of duplicate data entry and everything was spread across multiple disconnected spreadsheets, emails, word docs, etc. Coda allowed me to create a custom document to contain all the information relevant to each project. It is one of my most valuable tools.

Pros

I had always wanted an easy way to utilize the benefits of a database instead of using spreadsheets, so when I stumbled upon Coda, I was so excited. The ability to view, store, calculate and reference so much data made it much easier to find the information needed easily and display the information in the way I want it shown based on who I'm sharing that page with. The complex calculations possible and the ability to easily reference other tables have been a major time-saver.

Cons

The mobile app needs a lot of work to catch up with the desktop version. The tables cannot be designed on a tablet, which I found very frustrating. Printing has required quite a bit of workarounds to print anything useable.

Camille's personal experience

I use Coda mostly to personal purposes. I can control my finances and my time appointments (I have to register the hours spent per project in my job) in a very practical way. I love the easily going customization to make docs.

Pros

Particularly, I use Gmail integration a lot to send my job appointments. It's very pratical and useful. Also, for teams, I like the possibility to mark another person and send emails when needed.

Cons

Once I use Coda to manage the team's tasks. It was very productive. However, when the project was over, I accidentally deleted the doc and then I was unable to recover it. It was really frustrating. I also dont't like the date formats, whenever I try to pass the data to some spreadsheet I can't because of the date formats.

I love Coda

I have been using Coda since quite early days in their beta. While it was already showing a lot of promise in the early days, it has completely blossomed and matured since and I now use it daily and have had it implemented for different purposes in two organisations. Highly recommend.

Pros

Vast flexibility and fast performance. Exceptional feature rollout speed.

Cons

Many of the things that have been pain points in the past have since been resolved, with continous new features and a very communicative team. There are still some key missing features such as code syntax highlighting and true markdown support. The pricing can also be either very good value, or rather expensive, depending on how you intend to use it.

Coda is unique

Overall I like it and we use it daily and there is nothing else I could really do this with. It’s a unique piece of tech and I hope to see it continue to grow

Pros

Really like the formulas and ability to ref arbitrary data.

Cons

API times out, doesn’t seem to be keeping up the way I would like. Craps our with large tables past 5-10k rows in my experience

Flexible, but tough to master

Collaboration is the key area I have used Coda for. It is incredibly useful as a time saving tool, and for keeping track of projects.

Pros

Cons

The learning curve is very steep. It's kind of to be expected with the amount of power and customisation on offer, but still, it takes a while to get used to and to truly harness its power. The support available is very useful in this regard.

Great experience

Pros

I like that you can set up almost all your documents. The cross-table functionality it's very useful. The monthly improvements also give an incremental value to the platform.

Cons

At the beginning it's difficult to set up, once you know how to do it it's more easy but the learning curve is high. Also I don't like the permissions and visibility modes, are to simple and don't accomplish my needs.

Useful product for our internal knowledgebase

Coda is a well-designed platform that has allowed us to centralize all departments into one spot for documentation. Coda has strong support docs and videos that has helped us transition smoothly and continue to learn about new features and ways to use the product better. The new product emails they send out every so often are so informative!

Pros

Coda is a robust software that has helped our company centralize all our internal documents. The platform is quite user friendly, allowing us to really expand the product features to meet our needs as an organization. The support and help documents are quite impressive, we used it to train our entire staff on how to efficiently use the product. They have been responsive to feature requests, and the product has definitely improved in our time using it.

Cons

I still find random bugs quite often that aren't debilitating in completing my work, usually just a nuisance that will slow productivity.

Best configurable software

I'm very satisfied with Coda, it solved multiple management problems that I had before.

Pros

Coda is a great software for businesses looking for more efficient ways to solve problems. It's easy to set up, easy to learn, easy to use. It's super simple to create professional-looking systems and dashboards. Coda also has integration with many other softwares, making it even more powerful! The Coda team very supportive and the company is constantly releasing new features.

Cons

The only limitation of the software is that it's difficult to handle large number of records at the same time (millions of records).

Super flexible

Pros

Ability to have your ticket management / to-do list tracking like Trello in the same place as your wiki / knowledge hub

Cons

Sometime a little too technical and messy for end users. e.g. tables not having an out of the box search feature, and the workaround of using another table to act as the search box not being very clean.

Keep everyone vested and engaged in each project with Coda

We use this for creative project management. Our team loves it.

Pros

I love the overall flexibility of Coda. The customization is the main selling point for me. I typically use Coda for project management. Workflows are easy to setup. Live Document editing with the templates offered look sharp, and Coda has the ability to turn those pages straight into web pages. It great for collecting all of the team data and creating a quick proof for our client.

Cons

The free version really isn’t worth using. However, it’s a good way to see the capabilities of the program. Once we tried the free, I quickly purchased the team plan. It was well worth the money. You’ll need some tech know-how and team training to get it up and running. However, once everyone is on board, it’s a massive time saver, flow optimizer and even creativity booster.

Coda helps me shorten down my discovery and estimation process for sales.

It has really helped our team organize the management of our deliverables and work together.

Pros

Simplified file management. Ability to build quotes and for formulas to be embedded in those quotes for sales purposes. Also, the proposal can be built out as a multi-tab document, so that everything a customer needs to understand what we're proposing can be located at one link for them to see. The ability to tag other people in notes for notification. Exists in the cloud so I can bookmark any link I need into my bookmark manager. Can stay logged in so that I don't have to re-login every time I need something.

Cons

So far, nothing. Coda is all about how you use it.

Best do-it-all software for startups

Excellent

Pros

Coda is our go to software for the management of our daily activities, storage of relevant information and setting up tasks.

Cons

The software is pretty straight forward but still requires some learning as compared to something like Google Drive.

Excellent alternative for use as a desktop and virtual office

In the first half of 2020, on the occasion of my selection of which tool to choose to use as a knowledge base for my team, I tested Coda.io and was very impressed. I ended up choosing to deploy Slab because it suited my specific demand more.

Pros

Very powerful tool, which allows multiple possibilities for the creation of a knowledge base and virtual office. The strongest point is the huge number of existing templates and mainly the huge number of types of blocks that can be inserted in each document that is made. The cost is also quite attractive, making the cost-benefit of the tool as a whole excellent.

Cons

Although the interface is beautiful and elegant, due to a large volume of features, navigating the tool is a bit complicated, requires practice and even in the long run it seems a little unpleasant. In other words, it is not a tool as easy to use and pleasant to use.

Much More Powerful Than A Spreadsheet

Our main use of Coda is project management. We are able to prioritize projects, create/assign tasks, view project status reports, create calendar reminders, click buttons for email updates, track progress according to target completion dates, and more. Coda has helped us stay on track with our projects.

Pros

I love that you can have different views of the same data, and if you update any of the fields in one view, it will update the data in all views. It also allows you to easily pull in "people" (example: who last modified this row, or tag someone in a comment), "packs" integrations (with gmail, Google Calendar, Slack, etc.), and so much more.

Cons

Overall, it was pretty easy to learn Coda. But while the formula structures are somewhat intuitive, it's still different than what I'm used to, and slows me down a little bit when I'm writing a formula for a column (while I'm used to writing formulas super fast in Excel). However, that's to be expected with any new software, and will become more natural with more practice.

A swiss army Knife for collaboration and wikis

The idea is great. Transform your documents into apps that looks good on mobile. The execution too. Such a beautiful piece of software. I really like the way they think of what is going to be the way to see documents.

Pros

I like how versatile the software is. Besides this the huge gallery of templates full of good ideas always make me think about the way I'm doing my job. Primarily we use here in my company as a team wiki with steroids.

Cons

The software is not so easy to digest in a world where everybody uses excel as the way to go.I had some bas times trying to explain to my team that coda database is not organised as a spreadsheet.

My favorite!

Pros

Each user has a perfect soft made for him/her. I tested A LOT of apps! And I choose Coda. Actually, I used to keep in Notion, but Coda is more customizable, more friendly for collaboration and more integrated with other apps. The principing is very affordable: if you want the full experience, you pay, but not your collegues! (if you are the only doc creator! they are still able to edit and write in the shared docs). The Coda community is very active, I love the Coda Blog! There are so many possibilities...

Cons

The Android/Apple app is far to be pretty and functional.

Super handy to prototype data tracking/keep your team on track

Perfect, we were younger and needed to quickly prototype and I found it a great place to centralise playbooks, dashboards, and easily collaborate

Pros

- Ability to enrich and add heaps of integrations to the software (i.e. pull data from other areas into it) - Super easy to use - Fast - Comprehensive - Templates that can allow you to rapidly get started

Cons

More native integrations to platforms such as chargebee

Just Right

Pros

My favorite thing about Coda is how it effortlessly combines structured and unstructured data. There traditional difference between docs, spreadsheets, etc. is artifical and coda proves it. This freedom to structure your doc in any way you want is really powerful and it allows for great flexibility.

Cons

It can be a bit of a learning curve to start. The existing templates are good, but to get the level of customization you need from your tables, you need to dig into formulas, and not everyone has time for that.

Coda

I’ve used Coda for a variety of things, in much the same way as you might reach for a spreadsheet I now reach for Coda. At a personal level, I’ve used to manage my personal finances, keep track of recipes and help me to stay on top of my gym workouts. For work I’ve used to create project briefs, manage my projects and finances.

Pros

It is really easy to get up and running with Coda. Within minutes you can create something that is really useful

Cons

The only reservation I have about Coda is it’s scalability. With very few rows it can become incredibly slow. I appreciate Coda are working very hard to improve but I advise anyone to verify the feasibility of their application by performing a quick test to establish whether performance is likely to be an issue.

Coda Review

There is no doubt that CODA is one of the best Enterprise software. They offer diverse packages to both small, medium and large Organizations. To sum it all up, if your Organization has plenty of money, then you can invest in CODA and enjoy quality support.

Pros

CODA is a Financial Business Tool. The support team is very energetic who offer quality training and expert support. The tool itself is very user friendly as it allows Organizations to build their own financial system platform. It provides a customized interface facilitating data entry, reporting, analysis etc.

Cons

The cost (especially for large Organizations) is enormous, considering that not all features/functionalities are required. The cost should be decided based on the customer requirements. There are other cheaper products in the market which might get the job done at a much lesser price.

Herramienta muy versatil y potente

Pros

Fantástica para trackear los hitos que vas cumpliendo, ver una síntesis y cuantitativamente y cualitativamente a través sus gráficos. Muy buena la calidad de los pack que incluye Coda. Herramienta muy versátil y que puede cumplir con cualquier necesidad!

Cons

Nada reseñable actualmente. Cumple las expectativas yendo más allá. Señalo que todavía no he podido testear sus integraciones con otras herramientas.

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation