Canvas LMS Reviews

Canvas LMS

#1 Learning Management System for Educational Institutions

Canvas LMS

Review Summary

Pros

It is one of the amazing application which is cloud-based and enables working smartly. It is a great tool that aids in better working for learning.

Mia J.

Read the full review
User interface was easy for staff without a lot of technical ability. Appealing to the educational industry Canvas did not prove a good match for our facility based upon our learning modality.

Judy B.

Read the full review
Perhaps one of its best features is its plug-ins. Canvas works with other popular providers to integrate their products into Canvas.

Michael C.

Rebecca M.

Read the full review
As a parent, it was difficult to understand where some items were but I feel that was user error and not the platform.

John A.

Read the full review
Canvas does NOT have much customization as a user, which is a major downside to me.

Kalu A.

1,072

1,859 reviews

Like a Fine Wine, It Gets Better with Age

Canvas Review

CANVAS makes higher education accessible anywhere you have an internet connection!

CANVAS is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning. Personally, as an older student, I love using CANVAS.

Pros

While I am unsure of the College's side in using this software, for me, as a student, I love using CANVAS. I enjoy travelling and with an easy-to-use, school-issued/provided LMS (Learning Management System/Software), I can take many classes online from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. The mobile application is robust and incredibly convenient, allowing 99% all-the-same functionality as the desktop version. Students can even take online quizzes and finals using their internet-connected mobile device (Smartphone). It is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning as an older (personally, 42 years) college student.

Cons

The only drawbacks to CANVAS I experienced were a loss of data if the active internet connection broke while in the middle of completing/submitting assignments and quizzes. I know that CANVAS has since implemented an auto-save feature on the quizzes, so that part of the problem is resolved. Whether or not this is true of the assignment submissions, I honestly do not know at this time.

Great GUI, nice course introduction, but no start-guide

I am happy to use it. The App is a plus which sends out push-notifications whenever a new homework or grade is posted.

Pros

From Additional Info to Resource to Files it has everything, the professors sends out assignments, labs, and stuff and we can go and download/view directly from the browser. I also like the as-if grade, which will evaluate my grade on any marks I fill in ( which is obviously not the correct grade) but it shows me how much I need to get on my next assignment to get the grade I am achieving.

Cons

It has files, assignments, and announcements and allows to attach image/files everywhere. Also, I think it should provide professors and students who are first time users with a usage guide. One of my profs sends slides and Homeworks on announcements because he is not friendly with how to create assignments and it's frustrating.

Great for Education, Ineffective for Communication

Pros

I very much like the calendar feature, allowing me to easily see the upcoming assignments and manage my course work.

Cons

There are several options where instructors can put information and assignments and each instructor uses it a bit differently. As a student this can be confusing and frustrating as I'm constantly searching for the information I need until I learn the instructor's organizational style. Also, some communication was missed as the alerts are slow, not seeming to be in real time.

Canvas as a student user

Compared to Moodle, I like Canvas much better. It is very much focused and geared towards enhancing the student's learning experience.

Pros

I have been using canvas regularly for all my graduate classes. It has been the epicenter/hub for the instructor and all other students to come together and create a intuitive learning environment. Things I really like with canvas: - Discussions and Help Forums It's so easy to post questions in canvas and ask the professor and other students for help or clarifications. my graduate classes are pretty...

Cons

Canvas is not perfect though if you are not an expert user or instructor. - Many times instructors said the contents are released but it wasn't - The grades accumulation does not always makes sense - Very much dependent on how the instructor has laid out contents. - Redundant information - Not always user friendly. Does take a while to get adjusted to it

College on the Web

Canvas is an excellent learning tool for most colleges and universities. Not only does it allow for assignments to be turned in over the internet but it also allows students to take quizzes and attend lectures through ConferNow and Zoom. It will notify you through email for any work that is assigned, work that is due, etc. Although it can be a bit complicated to operate through compared to other programs such as Google Classroom, it has all the features you would need in order to run a class online especially during a pandemic.

Pros

With the rise of Coronavirus and online options for college classes, Canvas has been a staple tool for students taking online classes and even with online assignments. Canvas, similar to Google Classroom, is a program that allows teachers to assign work through the web instead of wasting time printing and wasting paper. It allows students to be notified of when assignments are due and even allows them...

Cons

Although Canvas is better than Google Classroom in terms of the number of features, Google Classroom's interface is simpler and easier to understand than Canvas's. Google Classroom, being a Google program, also makes it slightly easier to turn in assignments using Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc. Canvas's user system can also use some work as well. Canvas may have the ability to allow you to see other...

CANVAS is amazing for teachers and students.

My overall experience with Canvas has been great. It is very easy to use and my students can easily use this software. I love it.

Pros

CANVAS is very easy to navigate. All assignments and discussions are in one area. I don't have to go searching in multiple places looking for something. I can give an assignment and it just pops up on the main screen. I can make folders for each subject so things do not get mixed up. It is wonderful and easily used by my students. Parents love this program over the ones we have used in the past.

Cons

CANVAS is used by many schools, even before COVID. Some mornings the software doesn't want to load and can be glitchy. Some assignments will show not loaded but actually are, so I have to refresh multiple times.

Canvas is a hidden gem

I initially did not like it because I came from another LMS that was created by my previous institution that definitely tailored my needs. However, as I learn and create quizzes and assignments in it, I have come to appreciate how simple life can be when using Canvas.

Pros

It is quite user friendly. It allows you to do a lot with it even if you are barely getting familiar with this software. The mobile version is also great for those who love to keep track of their activities and progress on the go.

Cons

The notifications are such a pain! I wish it was more detailed the way to manage all your notifications. There are so many different kinds of notifications! some that are about homework, others about assignments due, some about discussion entries, some others about messages. It would be great if we could handle all of them from the very beginning before receiving a ton of notifications on your phone or email.

Online Schooling Has Never Been Easier!

Bragging an advanced interface, local web facilitating, and broad third-party integrative, Canvas is the most excellent instructive learning administration framework on the advertise nowadays.

Pros

The Canvas LMS lets understudies share work not too far off on the stage. This is excellent for distant meetings. Additionally, Canvas sends notifications about impending activities, tasks, input, and questions. I will forever be grateful for this feature, as someone who is quite absentminded and disorganized. Fortunately, the course data is basic to take after through and can be guided with minimal clicks. Overall, Canvas LMS provides me with comprehensive learning and instructing devices that can coordinated consistently with their existing frameworks.

Cons

Since Canvas has numerous highlights, it can be confounding for instructors to utilize and learn. Instructors will need to take the time to memorize how Canvas works so they can maintain a clear understanding of the software as to not confuse students. Again and again, there are issues transferring, exploring, and altering information. I wish Canvas had went through more time refining the client interface instead of tossing in so many highlights and customizations (which often proof to be clunky and downright unusable due to the aforementioned bugs, such as the web conferencing tools).

Great LMS for any kind of team

Perfect. I loved using it.

Pros

I worked for ASU online and worked at all the levels for Canvas as a user or developer. I loved the myriad number of features along with the ease of use.

Cons

Sometimes it creates issues while attaching video files to the assignments. I guess external file uploaing can be made more intuitive.

Dissatisfied and Frustrated College Student

Overall, I'm not satisfied with my experience with Canvas. It's not the easiest to use. Something I would like to see is the Canvas website integrating with the Apple Watch or Google Calendar so I can stay up to date with my classes. Logging into Canvas is cumbersome since it's a 3-4 set process.

Pros

I like the sidebar the most since it doesn't take up a lot of space on the page and is clear about what it has.

Cons

If you don't download the app, you won't be notified of any missing assignment; it would be nice if it sent a notification to your email. For example, my class requires us to post on the discussion board but there is never a notification if someone has commented or replied to your post. The card view seems pointless to have since it's an extra and unnecessary step. I would prefer the list view to have the classes in different colors instead of different pictures with the same blue overlay.

Great for E-Learning/Teaching

I spend a lot of time at the beginning of the term, setting up assignments and modules with due dates. Once that is done, Canvas takes over, notifying students when things are due. Sometimes I forget to make the assignments public and students will tell me that I haven’t published a particular assignment. I think it just takes some time to get used to all the quirks of the program, but once that is figured out, it makes daily organization so much easier. I also found that students were able to use Google Docs so that I could comment on papers as I was grading them. I can use Canvas on my iPad, but it’s not as easy as the computer. When I am doing serious course planning, I have to use the computer.

Pros

On my class homepage, I choose an image that visually identifies what the course is about. It personalizes my course and makes it easy to find (I usually have 3 to 4 classes per term). Canvas helps me organize my classes with the “module” tab that connects with the assignments and other pages I create for students to use —all into one place. I can easily add links to YouTube or Vimeo; upload photos;...

Cons

I haven’t figured out an easy way to use the peer review so that I can grade the student who is writing the peer review, as it appears on the page of the student being reviewed. I end up opening canvas in several windows, and it gets confusing with big classes. I eventually just gave a checkmark that the review was done, and didn’t worry so much about what the student wrote. Another issue that I’ve worked around is that students don’t do assignments on time if they rely on the due date to appear on their own Canvas page. I now title the assignment with the date so that students can see ahead of time when something is due.

One of the Better Learning Management Systems on the Market

When I heard that my work was switching from our old custom-built learning platform to Canvas, I was excited. Having already used Canvas as a student, I knew that we would be switching to a much better quality experience. Canvas is overall easy to deploy and use. Though for the leading learning management system on the market, you would wish some of its rougher edges, such as navigation, would be ironed out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to most as a quality learning management system.

Pros

It is easy to see why Canvas is one of the most well-known and well-used learning management systems by schools and colleges across America. Its simple customizable interface, mobile app, and many integrations are definitely a step up from moodle, blackboard, and other more common systems of a generation ago. I have used it both as a student and as a teacher. I appreciate its robust features (discussion...

Cons

While Canvas is an excellent learning management system it is far from perfect and there is still definite room for improvement. The main feature I have found frustrating is its navigation. There is no universal back button which means that rather than easily going back to a previous page you have to use a combination of your web browser back button and the course menu. Each course has a helpful customizable...

Build for teachers

Canvas is, by their own admission, a feature-poor software with lots of customizable and additional opportunities to expand it. That is true. You need to learn how to use it, play nice with it, and it will play nice with you and with many other integratable softwares. Adapt to its quirks and you will be happy with it.

Pros

1) Easy to use as a teacher. Once you get the schema of how the software works and accept its ways and limitations, then you can really use it to your advantage within that framework. 2) Integration with other softwares. Canvas integrates with many other LTI providers, but everyone is slightly different, so you need to be willing to pay the price to learn how to integrate things carefully. 3) Speedgrader is nice. I've seen better ones in other LMSs, but Canvas Spreedgrader is pretty good. 4) Training and support. You can find, if you search carefully, tons of training resources for Canvas.

Cons

1) It's easy to create things that clutter your course, system almost without knowing. 2) The assessment engine is quite limited. The new quiz engine is still too buggy to use and has been way overdue. 3) I hate that there is not an autosave feature, specially when building quizzes. More than once, I accidentally save the quiz without saving the individual question and loose a ton of work. 4) It's almost impossible to find your grades across multiple courses. You have to go to each course individually and click several places at that.

Easy to use...only if you know what you're doing

The best thing a new Canvas user could do would be to attend training FIRST. Do NOT just jump in like I did and assume that because you're tech savvy you'll figure it out quickly. It took me weeks and weeks when I first started using it to build my class. Lots of trial and error and calling the IT department. I should have just saved myself some time and gone to training! But I didn't have the time...

Pros

I've been using Canvas as an instructor at a university for the past 7+ years. The best thing about Canvas is that it's better organized than Moodle, which I've also used. I encountered Canvas when I came to work at my university. Before I started my job I was only familiar with Moodle, which I thought was an awful ed-tech application. I found Canvas to have a better interface, and was easier to navigate...

Cons

The biggest challenge with Canvas is that it's not easy to use, unless you've been trained and know what you're doing. I had to learn Canvas completely on my own and it was a bit of a nightmare, even for someone like me who is very comfortable with technology. It's not entirely intuitive, especially when you're building a course from scratch. It's basically a website and you have to learn how to link...

Good offering but bad user interface

Overall, the product is pretty easy to use and easy to onboard new users on the usage of the product as well. For certain features, a 'help' section would have been useful but there are ways to get around and learn how to use a functionality present in Canvas.

Pros

Most useful feature is revisiting the previous courses and going through the material that was covered in those courses. Typically, in other similar software, this is disabled after a certain period of time but Canvas keeps this feature open. The product is definitely easy to use as apart from showing the current courses, it also displays the upcoming deadlines and announcements that comes in very handy as soon as a user logs into the system and navigates to the home screen

Cons

The worst thing about this product in a lack of search functionality. Manually going through the complete list of options/courses/documents or whatever is present in the Canvas to find one required element is time-intensive process. A search feature would have been really useful in quickly searching what we are looking for.

My favorite course management software

Overall I'm happy with Canvas. My students use Moodle in most of their other classes, but I'm still holding out... I just think it's a superior product.

Pros

My institution uses Moodle, which I have found to be extremely cumbersome. So a few years ago, I switched to the free-for-teachers version of Canvas, and have never looked back. My favorite specific feature of Canvas is the Speed-grader, which changed my life when I switched from Moodle. I also like the way the online quizzes work. More generally what I like about Canvas is the unified design. ...

Cons

Like all course management software, there are times when I feel that too much clicking is involved to accomplish basic tasks, or little things that should be possible are not. For example, when making rubrics for assignments, there is no way to shuffle the order of the categories. If you want to add a new line in the rubric between lines 2 and 3, you'd have to delete all the lines after 2 and start over from there. Little things like that, which aren't a huge deal, but sometimes do leave me scratching my head. Also I wish the question banks for quizzes were a little easier to manage.

Canvas

I have used Canvas as both a student and a teacher. I have used it to create courses and assignments, grading, submitting assignments, viewing grades, etc. It is a beneficial software for higher education because of all of the resources and tools available. It helps significantly with the organization of a class.

Pros

Once you learn the software, it is easy to use. There are several tools that are beneficial to both students and teachers, such as Speed Grader, TurnItIn for plagiarism checking, inbox, collaborations, etc. I really like that it lines out the schedule for students (syllabus tab), provides a calendar that has the option to display days that assignments are due, a to-do list for each assignment, etc....

Cons

There are some quirks to Canvas that sometimes require workarounds. An example of this is moderated grading. I have had it somehow get selected, but it does not tell you when it gets selected. Once one student submission has been graded, it will not allow you to turn off moderated grading. You have to go through the process of moderated grading before it will even show grades or comments to students. The inbox also sometimes hides my emails in the spam folder in my Outlook account. It does not do that constantly, but every now and then I will get an email from a student wondering why I haven't responded to an email. I usually find it in my spam folder.

Canvas is the clear winner

My overall experience with CANVAS has been terrific. It's made me feel more confident as a student, and has saved me valuable time because I can always find exactly what I need for my weekly assignments thanks to its modern-style dashboard and advanced functionality. A true winner for all students, both young and old.

Pros

As a returning student attaining an MBA through an online program at a state university, I spent the first several semesters suffering through Blackboard. Like CANVAS, Blackboard is a learning management system used by today's higher education institutions. However, I always found it to be difficult to navigate and challenging to use. Recently, my university switched to CANVAS. I was nervous at first...

Cons

There is literally nothing to dislike about CANVAS. Even those new to online learning will find it simple to use and extremely flexible.

A Fantastic Platform for Team/Class Oriented Organization

Canvas has been a great platform in my career as a student and as an employee. From being able to take quizzes directly on the platform, to getting involved in very thoughtful discussions, Canvas has been something that has facilitated my learning experiences, inside the classroom and in the office. The digitalization of coursework, readings, and writings, has made a positive impact on the environment, and also allows its users to take their work with them wherever they go- as everything is accessible via the mobile app, or through the website on their laptop. This has made the experience absolutely positive for me and those who I have studied and worked with over the years.

Pros

Canvas is a software that I have been using for multiple years now, having used it originally in school, and now in college at Georgetown University while also making use of the software's organizational benefits as an Intern at EY. There are a few aspects of this program that stand out to me as being significantly beneficial. Firstly, Canvas, as a platform, is used for connecting users in an organization...

Cons

Despite being a phenomenal software platform, perhaps one of its downfalls is that, when using CANVAS in school or in college, the dashboard can get relatively messy. When enrolled in many different classes across different semesters, older classes tend to stay on your dashboard and this can make it difficult to keep your new classes a priority at first glance. While this is easy to edit in your Canvas settings, I personally believe this should be something that the user can edit from the homepage. In addition, it would be a large plus to the aspect of organization if users could customize the menu bar on the left side of the website, to only show the tabs they want to see for each class or project (files, modules, pages, discussions, announcements, grades, etc.)

Finally, a student portal that makes you want to learn!

Overall, I'm highly satisfied to have a student portal that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. The developers clearly did a lot of research and user testing into finding out what features students need, as it still astounds me how complete of an experience the app is. Just about the only major issue with it is that some instructors don't make the most out of its functionality, but that's not really an issue with Canvas itself.

Pros

As a student who used to use Blackboard, I immediately saw Canvas' UI and overall look-and-feel as a huge upgrade. I like that it's based on modern UI design patterns, with features like the sidebar and the single flush column of content. It makes the web app inviting and fun to use for young students like me who are on their phone for most of the day. One relatively minor feature that I greatly appreciate...

Cons

While there's a lot to like about the UI, I do have some minor grievances with it in a few places. The one thing that really stands out is how some blue links are clickable but don't actually do anything. For example, discussion threads have a clickable subtitle that shows which Lecture Section they're intended for. If it's for "All Sections", then clicking on it does absolutely nothing. I know this is a minor nitpick, but you would not believe how many times I've ended up accidentally clicking on that link intending to go the discussion board.

Learn and teach comfortably with Canvas

You can start using this platform for your academic purposes with confidence. In spite of all the above-mentioned disadvantages, generally, the platform works without any serious problem. I’m confident that students who prefer distant learning and the teachers who like online teaching will really appreciate Canvas LMS.

Pros

The platform is very easy and flexible to navigate so, you can be sure that you’ll never be lost while searching for the material you need. Besides, you can add text, upload pictures and videos without difficulty. In addition to this if you know how to work with HTML code you can have the design you like. The next thing that I like about Canvas is that you can communicate with your teacher and fellow...

Cons

It is fascinating to know that the Canvas app is available on mobile devices. However, the app needs some improvements because some features are still not available there and notifications sometimes don’t pop up. The platform successfully cooperates and works with third-party vendors. However, I should mention that some programs do not work well and obviously they need to get improvements. And finally, there sometimes some glitches may occur but I wish the platform could work more smoothly.

Site is satisfactory, app needs work

Pros

I've been a full-time student for the past 10 years and all the institutions that I've been attending have used canvas to post grades and make announcements. I have never had any complaints about the online website. It is easy to customize the main page to see exactly which courses you are in and it gives you the ability to arrange them in the order that you see fit, with your most important classes...

Cons

I don't really have any negative things to say about the software itself. The only issues that I have had are with the app, which I have used both on Android and Apple devices. When clicking on pop-up notifications for new grades being posted or sometimes other announcements, the app opens but it does not take you to the desired notification. When faced with a blank screen, you need to restart the app and manually go to where the notification was trying to direct you.

A Revolutionary Aid to Learning

Pros

I have used canvas at both my previous college and my current one which I transferred to, for both classes which were taken entirely on the platform (online classes) and classes where it was used as an aid. The ability to see an up to date schedule for your classes, contact instructors, revisit old modules, submit assignments online, view and respond to instructor feedback... It's completely changed...

Cons

There was one brief time this year where they pushed an update that made it so one of my instructors would see some error message when they clicked on my file submission, even though they were able to successfully download the file. They patched that quickly! Overall, it turns of lasting cons, canvas has tried very hard to become irreplaceable, and they've succeeded. My only problem is when instructors aren't tech oriented, and so don't understand how to set up a course shell, but that's not canvas' fault.

Has its limits, but still the best out there

There is a paid version that you can do too. It's very expensive, and we found it still didn't quite meet our needs. For universities it probably would do the trick, but if you're a small education program, stick with Free for Teacher. Even with its little hassles, Canvas is still the best online classroom you can find out there.

Pros

We use the Free for Teacher edition. When it comes to setting up courses, having assignments, files, students, deadlines, and grades set up, it's pretty simple. Not a lot of trouble getting things put together. You can integrate videos, there's a conference capability called Big Blue Button that allows all the members of the course to video in with each other and you can share screen and everything. It has been a big help allowing our students to have a portal to do their assignments, and connect with everyone in the class.

Cons

One of the nuances to Canvas that is difficult is limiting what teachers can see. By that I mean we have two different types of courses that we run. One is an individual cohort of a few students and a director. The only way to make these closed down to just these members is to create a duplicate of the course and put those members in. Not a terrible thing, but then the courses start to stack up with...

This software has been a great tool that helped me throughout my college career.

I was able to be more organized with my work for school. I am a forgetful person but with the reminders on the side of canvas, it helped me to complete the forgotten assignments. Another benefit was that I learn to time manage my work by seeing the work load I have that for that week. In addition, it also helped me to learn to plan ahead.

Pros

Canvas is a great organizing tool. Some pros include the following: a calendar with due dates, to-do list, easy to use, tabs that is very easy to locate, the what if feature, easy to communicate with teachers, pleasing to the eye, has a mobile app, coming up assignment features, viewing files without downloading them, break down of your grade, and very simple. With this system, I did not have the need to buy a planner to write down all my assignments.

Cons

There is not too much I dislike about the system. Though the system is very organized, if the instructor does not put the files in an organized manner it can be hard to seek the desired files. In addition, there are some times where canvas can be very difficult to use as you have to click different features to get to the desired file. In addition, for the discussion page, it would be super helpful...