CANVAS Logo

User ratings

4.5

3.1K
  • Likelihood to recommend8.48/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

It has been good, and I would highly recommend it over the previous system we used. I like most of the newer features and believe it will continue to get better over time.

Jeremy S.

Canvas has a great overview page and is nice that all of your materials are in one place. I appreciated that it was the main form of communication, document location & even some quizzes and tests.

ML

Maria L.

The overall experience during my last two years of undergraduate school was very pleasant and I sincerely hope that I encountered this software again in graduate school.

Miguel R.

Nothing is intuitive, it's extremely hard to change or fix a mistake on an assignment if you make a mistake, grade syncing with our electronic gradebook is very glitchy.

LD

Lorri D.

The parent canvas app is confusing and difficult to navigate. It is hard to discern what assignments are due to strange naming structures.

EB

Esther B.

As a parent, it was difficult to understand where some items were but I feel that was user error and not the platform.

JA

Google Classroom-logocaret
+ 21

Google Classroom

Compare both
How would you rate CANVAS?

3,119 reviews

MS

Micah S.

Pastor

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Very Helpful!

Transcript

Micah: My name is Micah, and I am a pastor. I give a four out of five for Microsoft Visual Studio. For...

Like a Fine Wine, It Gets Better with Age

Transcript

David C.: Hi, I'm David. I am an instructional designer in higher education and I give Canvas a five...

The best educational software

It has been very useful for my educational experience. It helps me to organize every work I have to deliver day by day.

Pros

It is a very friendly software for any student. Its functionality and features are very useful and developed.

Cons

I haven’t found anything that I don’t like from the software.

Canvas - A full range of online training apparatuses

Excellent

Pros

1) Gives inward correspondence, not needing an external message or email framework. 2) Incorporates a file sharing structure for informative materials inside the framework. 3) Gives an evaluating stage that is distinguishable by students and instructors.

Cons

Record names used to be shortened - however that is fixed at this point.

A Fairly Good LMS

Pros

Clean interface with easily manipulable features - module features can be easily dragged and dropped in a single step. Aesthetically better than Blackboard. Modules themselves are fairly easy to construct.

Cons

The gradebook is overly complicated and non-intuitive. Announcements should send automatic emails not only to students but to instructors.

The Last LMS You Will Ever Purchase

As a staple in higher education, online and hybrid learning have played a central role in offering courses to a geographically dispersed demographic of students. Canvas provides this ability with a solid product and reliable up time to help us meet these goals.

Pros

A very powerful platform with a low threshold for adoption and ease of use. Our instructors rave about the intuitiveness of the course builder features and functionality. Since the pandemic, nearly all of the institution's thousands of courses have content online in Canvas - including the traditional in-person classes.

Cons

Integration with our student information system required some additional outside services to that students, courses, and grades could be synced in real time in order to give students immediate access once enrolled for the class.

Canvas is very useful for digial education system

I have been using Canvas for a several years for my graduate education. My overall experience is very good. I still have access to the course contents and my submission. Therefore, I need to look back to any of those contents, I have access to them through Canvas, which is amazing.

Pros

Canvas supports almost everything those are necessary to support a digital education system. The instructor can upload course materials, lectures, provide assignments and home works, and publish the grades. Student can access the course materials and submit exam, assignments, and home works.

Cons

For online live lectures the instructor has to rely on other software, which could be a feature of Canvas.

A student's review of CANVAS after four years

Overall, I have had a good experience using CANVAS. It was crucial during 2020 and 2021 for online learning and it still serves a vital role for class resources and information, regardless of virtual or in-person learning.

Pros

The best things about CANVAS are the ability to receive information about the class as-needed and not just in class, the option to re-examine old classes, and serving as a source for homework assignments and class materials.

Cons

While CANVAS is a useful software, it is still clunky in some areas, particularly its test-taking software and class library page. Also, it's gradebook software will not reflect a student's actual grade if the class is weighted, which can be deceptive.

CANVAS is a great options for students and professors

I enjoy how easy is to keep track of my activities in a single place. I find it friendly-user, and intuitive. The organization is amazing and its capacity for heavy documents is a must. Now I have the materials, grades, quizzes and a place to do my assignments in a single space. no more switching between lots of files and making a mess on my board

Pros

I love how easy is to have access to all my courses and materials, I have everything I need well organized, categorized and divided into sections. I have a visual aid to keep track of my grades and the communication with several professors is easy and you can keep the information in a single space. Its capacity to upload heavy content such as videos or books amazes me.

Cons

When using or chatting in the forum section, I always receive the notifications late so, I have to be always alert and refreshing the app in order to not miss important releases.

Integrated platform for learning.

It is the best learning platform to use since it easy to use and saves on time and resources.

Pros

It is user friendly in that it saves on resources and also it easy to manage. Has a simple interface that is easy to learn and understand how it works faster. It has different variety of multimedia options. Runs on more than one operating system that is Windows, Linux, Mac and android. Can be integrated with various applications.

Cons

It is a great to tool only that it for starters learning how to use it can be hectic and also the grading system should be upgraded.

Canvas LMS one of the best learning platforms available

It is a really good learning platform for both instructors and students.

Pros

Its simplicity and ease of use. All the latest features for an online learning platform is available in this software. Assignment submission and grading is hassle free with Canvas. Almost all the customisation features are available to create a good quality course.

Cons

Login difficulties are there. Myself and few of my colleagues faced this issue while setting up an account and logging into canvas. Password reset mail didnt work. Even after repeated try.

User Friendly, Highly Analytical & a Comprehensive Tool

Overall experience has been really satisfying.

Pros

The ease and user friendliness of UI, multi-purpose functionality and efficiency for the completion of tasks are the best part about this software. Also, the maintainability is very less making it apt for the convenient usage of the small businesses.

Cons

The backend panel given has to be more enriched with the functionalities and if the price point is lowered a bit can really be picked by many other small businesses.

Canvas for Teachers

It's extraordinary for instructors, coaches, distributers or anyone with any interest in making better approaches to learning. It helps structure your plan interaction and assists you with settling on the most ideal decisions route. We need everybody to have the option to utilize the Canvas and that is the reason offer it for nothing! Assuming you really want a little assistance with utilizing the material.

Pros

Advanced education instruments that play pleasantly with others. Rubrics. Modules. Schedules. Plans. Tests. Prospectuses. Investigation. Speed Grader! (Signal heavenly messengers singing.) Canvas has so many master bang includes that will add flair to your courses. Furthermore, we could go on and on about the combinations. The Canvas API pals straight up with apparatuses like Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Adobe, and many other innovation accomplices to convey one brought together learning center point.

Cons

Instructors are influential individuals doing significant, groundbreaking things. Material doesn't impede that-it simply makes those significant, Canvas is groundbreaking things more straightforward to do and simpler to share.

CANVAS-A Great LMS

Overall Canvas has made my job as a professor more fluid and convenient. It has saved me many hours of time and has provided my students with a great tool to succeed in college. I have a very positive opinion of this LMS and am glad my institution uses it. There are some things about it that I am not too happy with, but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

Pros

The thing I like most about Canvas is the user interface and the ease of use. Canvas makes it very easy to provide students with all course materials that used to be copied and handed out in class. Not only does this save time and effort, but it is great for the environment. I have been trained several times on Canvas though it is quite easy to learn and use. Once you become accustomed to the nuances of using it, you start to appreciate its design. I really appreciate the tools that are available with Canvas such as the attendance feature and the ability to integrate publisher's materials.

Cons

The thing I like least about Canvas is the lack of ease of importing test banks from publishers. I am not sure if this is due to Canvas or the publishers. But I try to avoid using quizzes as much as possible. I hate to type 60 questions and answers for each test and for each class. I usually give 5 exams per class and I typically teach 3 different classes.

Canvas - The Best Online Classroom A Student Can Ever Have!

Pros

What I love most about Canvas' software was how simple and easy it is to use. It is the one platform that I have used for six-to-seven years that has allowed me to feel connected to my fellow students and professors most even during classes that were strictly online. It has options like a calendar that automatically shows you all of your assignments on their due dates a weekly and monthly glances....

Cons

While it's hard to pick out something that I didn't like about Canvas, I would say that the test and assessment grading system could use some improvement. It's a challenge for students and teachers alike to enter numerical equations that require certain formats such as scientific notation, for example, and it would be wonderful if that could be improved for future use. Even so, Canvas still has a great grading system for other courses that do not require equations and such so I still very much recommend it to anyone.

Unique uses

Canvas is flexible enough to allow us to implement courses for unique purposes outside the traditional college course (online or with online support). I have built a course framework in the LMS for a semester-long class, with traditional assignments, grading, etc. (The gradebook and SpeedGrader are great.) However, it's also let my team create information hubs and portals, using Mastery Paths to direct...

Pros

Canvas is flexible and has great integration with certain add-ins, including Microsoft Office, Zoom, Ally (an accessibility checker tool), and Echo360, which are the ones I use the most. It allows authors to integrate a variety of content in a way that makes sense, and the grouping of modules and content is convenient and easy to change. The support forums are also typically very helpful. There are plenty of tools that I haven't even gotten around to using to their full potential, i.e. the calendar, chat features, rubrics. I haven't used them this way yet, but the Mastery Paths feature would be excellent for providing personalized learning experiences or implementing pre-tests.

Cons

I wish there was a more sophisticated way to subscribe to certain types of notifications (e.g. certain threads within discussion topics). There's limited ability to author courses within the LMS, and you mostly have to rely on content you create or import yourself. When used for nontraditional purposes (e.g. providing a central hub for students in an honors program, rather than students in a particular...

A huge step up!

As a student in several certification courses, I'm largely just relieved by the move away from Blackboard since my time in university! Canvas works reliably—it's always a relief to know that you'll be able to access your course when you need to—and has a variety of compelling features that really benefit the online learning experience, including well-designed quizzes and interactive forums.

Pros

I feel that the quiz tool is one of the best assets to online learning I've seen in recent years. With our virtual learning system in which back-and-forth conversation (a more traditional lecture style) is not currently possible, the quiz tool allows instructors to gauge student knowledge and understanding of everything taught so far, without requiring a grade for accuracy. So much more powerful than the old-fashioned approach of requiring a weekly forum post to promote "engagement"! Canvas has a huge variety of learning tools that really enable instructors to customize their teaching styles. Instructors who use it to the best of their abilities really empower their students to learn, even in this crazy virtual world.

Cons

The platform can be difficult to navigate at times—it's not a particularly intuitive design—and materials can get lost or overlooked (not a great situation when grades are involved!). In addition, it doesn't always play nicely with certain web browsers or ad blockers. If it's best accessed under certain settings, that should be clearly communicated!

Design Your Dream Course on Canvas

Designing online course content has been easier with the use of Canvas. It has made teaching in an online setting much more rewarding as I am able to focus more on students and their learning instead of spending time trying to figure out how to use software.

Pros

The intuitive design features and ease of use are great! You can create a great course in a short amount of time and you can share courses with colleagues for this purpose, too! If you're new to online course design, Canvas is definitely the platform to use. It also has design features for more advanced users that let you customize your content even further. There's definitely something for everyone here - whether your a new online content creator or well-versed.

Cons

If I had to pick one thing it would be the actual process of integration of external software. While I love that I can integrate external software, the process is multi-step and counterintuitive. You have to secure permissions (product key or registration number externally) and separately add/activate the software in the settings feature for the course (for EACH course), and a few other steps when you actually want to use the external program in Canvas for an assignment. It does require a bit of setup and patience. The good thing is that once you do it, you're set for the term.

Couldn't have gotten through college (as a student and as a TA) without it

It's interesting reading other reviews using Canvas as a tool for certification and similar modular learning. As it was used during my years at college and as a teaching assistant, it reliably got every job done well and seemed perfectly built for each small adaptation we found to use it for.

Pros

I've mentioned quite a few technological pluses in the rest of this review, but for this particular response I think the most important thing was how friendly the system was. It handled tens of thousands of us constantly logged in at my university, relayed grades instantly, never crashed while administering tests, and simply had an aesthetic layout (using our college colors!) that didn't treat you like a criminal (think of other test monitoring software) or unduly freak stressed students out with how they present grades, feedback, deadlines, and more.

Cons

Honestly, I found no faults with the software while using it as either a student or TA. Given the option however, I would have suggested integration options with other, lesser tools we used as TAs such as timesheets and hour submission portals.

A Good Software with Minor Complaints

Overall, Canvas is a good software. I've used Blackboard before as well, but it was outdated and had a more confusing interface than Canvas. Canvas makes it easy to see and download assignments. The two minor issues with the software are the inconvenient mobile view and the notification settings.

Pros

Canvas is useful because I can see all of my coursework on one platform that is simple to use. I can organize my courses on the home page as I like, and when I click on the course, I can see modules, assignments, and tests attached to the course. Documents load very easily on Canvas, and I like being able to "preview" documents posted before downloading them.

Cons

I have two complaints about the Canvas software. First of all, the mobile version does not work well. I never downloaded the Canvas app, but did try to go on the website on my phone. The text was so small and the menus on the left side of the screen did not load well, so I could never use my phone to get on Canvas without the app. My other complaint with the software is that whenever anything was graded for a course, even if it was an older assignment, I'd get a notification. Perhaps this is just the settings set by the instructor and not Canvas itself, however.

CANVAS is a great tool for Courses and International competitions.

It's a nice program for communicating with students and is very organized. I really like to use it.

Pros

If you work in a school or a scientific competition, or if you wish to teach a class, you can use CANVAS. It's an excellent application because the grade book offers an Effective Teaching option for tracking progress against a set of academic criteria. Students and teachers will benefit from this mobile-friendly and easy tool. The largest business would be distance education, although it performs excellently in general.

Cons

It can be tough to cope with at first when using the application, and it takes a long time to publish a post on the student page. Students occasionally carried assessments in the incorrect location and took time to get acquainted with the mobile phone application.

Best of the bunch (but still not stellar)

I've been a full-time professor for six years now, and before that I was a full-time graduate student for three, and an adjunct instructor for another six, not to mention the time I spent as an undergraduate myself, when LMS software was becoming ubiquitous. This means that I've used virtually every LMS package out there as either an instructor or a student (or both), and despite its bugaboos and flaws, Canvas continues to outpace the others in terms of usability, innovation, and overall quality.

Pros

I've used the Canvas learning management system (LMS) as both a student and an instructor for years now, and I can say with a high level of confidence that it is, by far, the best LMS available today. It strikes a good balance between available features and ease of use, meaning instructors have a reasonably high level of customization at their fingertips at the course level, but students won't be confused...

Cons

There are a range of frustrating quirks, missing features that require hack-y workarounds, confusing user interface issues, and inexplicable limitations that regular users will run into with routine use. For example, if you create an assignment and enable peer reviews of that assignment, it is difficult for students to figure out how to access the documents they are supposed to evaluate. Once they...

Canvas - Secure E-Learning Platform for All

Positive. The Canvas guides, videos, Community and help desk are really fabulous. Being able to access the answer to development questions 24/7 is a game changer for motivated learners. For personalization and differentiation Canvas supports mastery paths which when built carefully give this platform an innovative edge for teachers. Canvas continues to improve their product with every update. Canvas is aware of industry trends and learners needs and makes sure their platform exceeds expectations.

Pros

When Canvas became our LMS for e-learning I was delighted. Having a secure, self-contained platform was a game-changer for teachers and students. Using SSO (single sign on) enabled users to access their classes easily and without fail. The course customization and integration with other tools (OneNote, Google, Flipgrid, Formative, etc.) made advanced users look like wizards of course design. The calendar...

Cons

There were times when the customization features were not enough in Canvas. The platform itself is not visually appealing at first. The user has to carefully desing the course, beginning with the end in mind, to make it visually appearing and navigable for the learner. Additionally, it may just have been our district instance but the integration with PowerSchool gradebook was both a plus and a minus. Teachers loved that interaction as it saved so much time grading. When that interaction had glitches it was a nightmare and sometimes difficult to solve or to find the root cause. This was often the fault of browser updates or software bugs, not Canvas.

Canvas in three words: reliable, convenient, and innovative.

My overall experience with Canvas has been incredible. From my days using the platform at my large public high school to my current use of Canvas at the University of Pennsylvania, I have found it to be extremely instrumental in fostering my learning. The landing page for each of my courses presents the necessary information, such as grades or quizzes, in a way that is consistent across the platform, yet also enables professors to customize what different links to information appear in order to allow them to design a page which best fits the scope of their course and its associated assignments. I have loved using Canvas, and look forward to doing so throughout the rest of my college career!

Pros

I first used Canvas long before I ever even entered college as a high school student. However, throughout the years the platform has always remained extremely easy to use and provided me stable and secure access to my course content. With the advent of online learning brought on by the pandemic, I began to use Canvas even more this past year as a current junior in college. Reflecting on my increased use of the platform over the past year, I can appreciate how Canvas has remained not only reliable and convenient to use, but also innovative in that they have continued rolling out updates which make the platform even better, such a the "like" feature which enables students to engage more with their classmates' responses on discussion posts.

Cons

The one feature which could be improved on Canvas would be more clear instructions on how to update your profile photo! One of my professors requested that we change our profile photos to a picture of ourselves last week, and while I was eventually able to do so successfully, it took me a little but to figure out where to take this action.

CANVAS - Easy e-learning Setup

It is easy and quick to set up even for no technical people. It is a reasonable cost depending on usage.

Pros

The first thing I noted about Canvas is that when creating content, the page looks like an MS Word document. This makes creating pages with content easy as the learning curse is very gentle. There is very little need to be technical. It is more a matter of formatting rather than getting to know the software platform itself. The dashboard is clean and modern with easy navigation on the left sidebar...

Cons

Video elements management needs improvement, the thumbnails are poor quality and very small. There is no option to edit them. To get a good visual of Office elements needs embedding the content hosted somewhere else. Natively on the platform PDF and PPT display poorly with just vertical scrolling. Exporting An exported courses from Canvas is in a custom format that is not compatible with other LMS platforms. This makes it hard to move between platforms. There not much customization of learning elements compared to other LMS available. Some of the support documentation is dated and needs updating.

One of the Better Learning Management Systems on the Market

When I heard that my work was switching from our old custom-built learning platform to Canvas, I was excited. Having already used Canvas as a student, I knew that we would be switching to a much better quality experience. Canvas is overall easy to deploy and use. Though for the leading learning management system on the market, you would wish some of its rougher edges, such as navigation, would be ironed out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to most as a quality learning management system.

Pros

It is easy to see why Canvas is one of the most well-known and well-used learning management systems by schools and colleges across America. Its simple customizable interface, mobile app, and many integrations are definitely a step up from moodle, blackboard, and other more common systems of a generation ago. I have used it both as a student and as a teacher. I appreciate its robust features (discussion...

Cons

While Canvas is an excellent learning management system it is far from perfect and there is still definite room for improvement. The main feature I have found frustrating is its navigation. There is no universal back button which means that rather than easily going back to a previous page you have to use a combination of your web browser back button and the course menu. Each course has a helpful customizable...

Build for teachers

Canvas is, by their own admission, a feature-poor software with lots of customizable and additional opportunities to expand it. That is true. You need to learn how to use it, play nice with it, and it will play nice with you and with many other integratable softwares. Adapt to its quirks and you will be happy with it.

Pros

1) Easy to use as a teacher. Once you get the schema of how the software works and accept its ways and limitations, then you can really use it to your advantage within that framework. 2) Integration with other softwares. Canvas integrates with many other LTI providers, but everyone is slightly different, so you need to be willing to pay the price to learn how to integrate things carefully. 3) Speedgrader is nice. I've seen better ones in other LMSs, but Canvas Spreedgrader is pretty good. 4) Training and support. You can find, if you search carefully, tons of training resources for Canvas.

Cons

1) It's easy to create things that clutter your course, system almost without knowing. 2) The assessment engine is quite limited. The new quiz engine is still too buggy to use and has been way overdue. 3) I hate that there is not an autosave feature, specially when building quizzes. More than once, I accidentally save the quiz without saving the individual question and loose a ton of work. 4) It's almost impossible to find your grades across multiple courses. You have to go to each course individually and click several places at that.