Blackboard Collaborate

Online collaboration & web conferencing solution

Blackboard Collaborate Reviews

Pros

The overall quality, ease of use, features & functionality of blackboard make it a great software for college students and college campuses to invest in.

Christopher O.

I really like the fact you can easily create teams, conferences and add users very efficiently. The sound and video quality are really good.

It was easy to use and I loved the simplicity of the layout.

John P.

Cons

The support was horrible, most of them are salesman and when they redirect to the specialist at the end is openning a ticket because they do not know neither.

Eugenio C.

Uploading finished assignments were a real pain. The documents videos needed to be no more than a few.

Inguwed G.

No direct integration for download the record of use you need to use api to get this information. We had a problem with the LTI the integration started to direct any group to the same room.

Juan Carlos G.

Blackboard Collaborate Makes Classes Easier

Transcript

Nehemiah K.: Hi, my name is Nehemiah. I'm a graduate student, and I give Blackboard Collaborate a five...

Blackboard Collaborate Review

My overall experience with Blackboard Collaborate is always amazing. My grades have improved so much with this and I have been so much more organized because it comes with a calendar and reminder of when assignments are due and I never miss an assignment.

Pros

A feature that I absolutely love about this software is the breakout rooms for group projects. I love that professors can break us into groups and it is not difficult to see in Blackboard. I love how easy it is to use this software. I also love that I get to see my professors feedback on any assignments that have been graded. I love seeing the exact percentage as well instead of it saying "B+". I absolutely love Blackboard!

Cons

One feature that I hope that this software improves is sharing the computer audio. It would be really helpful to get audio instead of text because I feel like it is easier to communicate faster and a lot more easier than text. Either way I highly recommend this software because It has helped me be more organized. There are no features that are difficult.

Classroom Video conferring

my overall experience of Blackboard Collaborate is good

Pros

As opposed to web casting and video conferencing software, Blackboard Collaborate has interrogations and features that are specifically designed for engagement with the learners/audience

Cons

I am a new user of the Blackboard Collaborate's license so far nothing to complain about. Although the budget for this product is more expensive than our previous option

Education and Having fun at the same time!

My overall experience with this application has been great, I love how it's 100% easy to use and that it allows for communication within the video class. It's can record each session and the record quality is excellent.

Pros

What I like best about this application is that it has a unique interface that is easy to maneuver, It's easy to use and very much fun.

Cons

What I least like about this application is that it is of one colour and cannot be changed to give a more creative and fun feeling especially when kids are involved.

Good for the basics of remote classroom learning

Overall, I think Blackboard is an adequate software for classes to use as far as the basics go (e.g. putting syllabi and class readings online, administering quizzes and tests, grading). The look and feel of the software can be improved upon and it can be made more user-friendly, but overall, it does an okay job.

Pros

I like that it has the basic features needed for this type of software, such as the ability to administer and grade quizzes online. It is pretty intuitive to use, but it could be better.

Cons

The whole program looks and feels very dated. Because it looks so dated, it feels like it has not been upgraded in a while and could be difficult to use. It surprisingly is pretty intuitive to use however, but there are still ways that it could be improved upon. For example, grading assignments can be made an easier task that does not need to be featured on a separate page.

Blackboard para el aprendizaje

Uso blackboard hace aproximadamente dos años, la verdad es que ha facilitado bastante tomar clases y no perder comunicación con los profesores, poder recibir los archivos correspondientes y realizar presentaciones, creo que es un gran sistema para la educación a distancia y lo recomiendo al 100%

Pros

Lo que mas me ha gustado es que hace muy dinámico el aprendizaje y te brinda muchas herramientas para utilizar durante las clases, además de permitirte tomar clases en vivo, lo que te da la posibilidad de hacer preguntas. Posee herramientas para realizar encuestas, presentar archivos y una cantidad genial de formas para mantenerte conectado y facilitar el aprendizaje.

Cons

Lo que menos me ha gustado del software es que en variadas ocasiones se rompen los links para entrar a las salas en vivo y el tiempo de respuesta para la solución suele ser muy largo. También me gustaría que se pudiera mejorar la aplicación para el celular, fuera de eso creo que es una gran herramienta.

Workable, but lacking in reliability

Pros

Great for large groups, has enough features to keep up with the competition including: breakout rooms which work great, screen sharing, whiteboard for demonstrations, moderating for a smooth meeting flow. It's somewhat easy to use, so that's always a plus.

Cons

My biggest problem is reliability and stability. The software has crashed on me quite often, even with a robust and very capable laptop. For a software that's supposed to make collaboration easy, these issues are big drawbacks for me, and it's why we switched back to our original software.

Good Product, just pricy in comparison to others

We use blackboard for our e-learning webinars and are satisfied

Pros

Easy to use, worked everytime we used it

Cons

it cost much more than our other webinar software

Buggy and Difficult for Students to Use

I really wanted to like Blackboard Collaborate, but there are just too many problems and it gets in the way of the actual learning for my students.

Pros

The software does a good job with video, audio and screen sharing. I'm able to easily must students and see when someone has a question. I like that when I record a session, it makes the recording automatically available for the students.

Cons

I teach at a community college and recently switched to Collaborate for my class. I teach adults who are able to handle most technical issues, but collaborate has been very frustrating to deal with. Several of my students simply quit coming because they kept getting kicked out. I also like to join on both my phone and laptop so I can demonstrate mobile apps, but Collaborate only allows me to log in once. The help section and knowledge base have a lot of content, but I can never find the answers I'm looking for.

Old software for newer times

Pros

It has the aspect of blackboard ultra, so if you paid blackboard ultra 7000 euros per year, then you can benefit paying 3000 euros more for the collaborate and have it all in one.

Cons

There are not good features in it, other newer platforms have more features, configurations, options and the price is a lot less.

Solid collaboration and communication platform

The general experience is that Blackboard Collaborate is a solid tool for collaboration, team and file management, and communication in video conferences.

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate has a broad range of features and comes along with high customizability. The video conferencing is very good, also in comparison with competitors, such as "ZOOM" and "Microsoft Teams".

Cons

Ease of use and ease of development is lacking. Moreover, the then even more necessary customer support is not always as available as needed and responses solving an issue can take a while. A clearer and simplified design of the overlays could tremendously benefit these issues.

Blackboard Collaborate is Good for Online Classes and Assignments

Overall I enjoyed my experience with Blackboard. I liked the simplicity of responding to scenarios my professors posted and the option to reply to threads and individual posts from my peers with whom I had to interact with. I think Blackboard is very convenient for professors and for students alike, but that it can improve on some of its user friendliness and provide a neater and more efficient messaging platform and visual layout especially because not all students or instructors are necessarily computer savvy.

Pros

I used Blackboard Collaborate for several years in graduate school. What I liked most about this software was the simplicity of utilizing the conversation threads. There was nothing too "fancy" and the layout provided simple 'reply' and 'reply all' buttons. Each week we were required to answer questions about a scenario, and reply to other students' remarks as well. It was easy to see which posts did...

Cons

What I liked least about Blackboard Collaborate was that if I wanted to message my entire class, I would have to individually click every student's name, and then click the "To" button in order to add them as recipients. It was honestly time consuming and extremely frustrating as a graduate student because it wasted so many minutes every time, especially because I would often forget to actually click...

Mostly reliable platform for online classes

Pleased with my experiences with Blackboard. It's incredible that you are able to take virtual classes with this platform.

Pros

As background information, this was used for online classes - so my experiences is limited and based only on that. With that said, though, I was pleased with my interactions with Blackboard Collaborate. Here are the pros: - It has an Interactive Whiteboard feature that is quite helpful. Teachers can add their slide deck or presentation here. The students can then "interact" with the presentation...

Cons

Here are some concerns: - While it works well with Chrome, this platform does not seem to work with Safari or Edge. (This could be user error, though.) - This may be user error, too, but I found the audio to be a little off. It seems like they could do some updates here to help it sound a little more smooth and less choppy. Sometimes you don't always hear everything. - Even though the record feature is awesome - it can be annoying because the video and the audio are sometimes off. - I guess this could be based on the WiFi connectivity, but video quality is inconsistent.

I've been using this for years, and love it, but it has major issues

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate is such a great option for online teachers. We use it to meet with students and present lessons live on the computer. I use it weekly. It is seamlessly integrated with PowerPoint. The features are neat - you have lots of controls as a moderator. You can allow students to speak, use video cameras, type, draw, add pictures to the whiteboard, etc. You can set how many students...

Cons

The major thing I dislike is the "exception error" that I get CONSTANTLY. Basically, BBC can only handle so much data. Because it can't tell which participant needs what, it actually has to save and stream anything within a certain time period and send that out to everyone in the room. So, it really bogs the room down. It is just saving a TON of data at any given time. We've had to create separate...

BB as an Administrator & a Student

I like Blackboard as a learning platform. I do think, like all software, a few bugs need to be worked out for better administration. Maybe a face-lift would be nice as well.

Pros

As a student the software is easy to use and has an easy to use dashboard. It is nice to be able to email other students or teachers, especially when you get to the university level. I like how there are different options to view your grades and when you submit your assignments there is a confirmation code that is generated. There is also a variety of tools besides email in which communication can take place, like discussion boards, videos, or links to other websites. I also found it handy to keep track of important announcements from campus organizations and professors. As an Administrator I like how the software can keep me organized and track the progress of the students.

Cons

I did not have many issues as a student, but as an administrator I found a few places with room for improvement. At times it was difficult to upload assignments, I would always get an error message. I know I am completing the correct steps because I have uploaded many assignments. Another issue I had was that this software always seemed to go down at the most in opportune times, like right before finals and then an extension had to be given to the students to be fair. I can't say if it was the fault of the school or the software, all I know is it is frustrating.

The Future to Learning

Overall, via laptop and webpage, I have had a good experience with Blackboard. If the students' only option to connect to the classroom, however, is via a smartphone or tablet, I would not recommend blackboard due to its drawbacks in the mobile application.

Pros

I mostly used Blackboard prior to the virtual first environment, using it specifically for university classes that usually took place in the summer. Summer classes were often in an online or hybrid (online and in-person) format, incorporating significant amounts of virtual learning. Blackboard provides effective resources to collaborate virtually both professors to students and students with fellow...

Cons

Blackboard has a mobile app to provide convenience to its users, which becomes even more important in the virtual first environment. Previously I did not put a lot of weight in my opinion on the app but I think in the virtual first environment it is more important than ever for the software tools to be easy and usable especially the mobile applications. Blackboard's app is not that. It is harder to operate, not as user friendly, and does not provide the same at home peer social environment that other educational platform apps provide -- such as the ability to have live chats and create "rooms" for students to easily break into groups.

Very Interactive and Easy to Use!

Blackboard Collaborate was definitely the right choice. I enjoy using this platform and would definitely recommend it as an ideal platform for e-learning.

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate makes e-learning interactive and hassle-free. I am a university student and the administration decided, when the lockdown started in March, to use this platform to facilitate online learning. When I was introduced to the interface in the beginning, I found that it was very easy to navigate. It offers a tour of the interface which proved to be quite helpful. However, Blackboard...

Cons

There is really nothing to dislike about Blackboard Collaborate. It ticks all the boxes and really does take much of the dreariness out of the virtual learning platform. Although e-learning is definitely not comparable to face-to-face learning, Blackboard Collaborate makes it much easier to adapt.

Blackboard Collaborate— not the best, but better than most

Blackboard Collaborate is a single tick virtual study hall and online cooperation apparatus manufactured explicitly for establishments who need to convey additionally captivating, customized, and adaptable learning alternatives for understudies. Although it isn't perfect, It works out positively past customary web conferencing to meet the broad and fluctuated cooperation needs of the present instructors and students.

Pros

Board Collaborate is a direct and consistent online collective learning stage. It is a totally overhauled administration that gives a degree of commitment in which students and instructors become one. The capacity to welcome outside visitors (like guests) makes this device a significant asset in furnishing understudies with introduction to an assortment of speakers and points. Generally, it is anything but difficult to set-up meetings, start and end them, and to make accounts of the gatherings and occasions for documented use. A particular favorite feature of mine is the screen sharing feature; it permits presenters' demonstrations to be displayed for students to follow along.

Cons

The audio-video synchronization is rather inconsistent; often times, the video and audio aren't in sync. Additionally, revisiting to meetings after they've been recorded is somewhat of a pain. It is particularly hard for teachers and students who are not as tech-savvy. Another con is that teachers and students regularly lose connectivity, regardless of how strong their internet connection is. Lastly, the quantity or participants in a single session makes it nearly impossible for synchronized verbal communication compared to many other software on the market.

Blackboard has Single-handedly Saved My Education

Blackboard has definitely rescued the education of many in the face of a pandemic. It allowed for smooth transition to online classes and mimicked a classroom environment as accurately as possible. I use blackboard everyday and it has allowed me to continue my education remotely. 10/10 would recommend to other students and educational institutions.

Pros

Easy to Use Facilitates large groups Indicates each participant's strength of connectivity Features to indicate understanding of the concepts being taught Feature to indicate when you are away from your device during the session Ability to break out into small focus groups for classroom activities Poll for student engagement Document sharing features Screenshare feature Facilitates multiple presenters that can each manipulate the slides being presented Ability to record lectures for asynchronous learning Mic and Video features available to all participants Moderators can mute the mics of persons who have accidentally left their mics on "Hand up" feature useful for asking questions without major interruption of the session

Cons

The only problem i've faced is the compression of power point screens when uploaded to blackboard. Items that were previously well spaced out often overlap. However this issue can be overcome by simply screensharing the document instead of uploading it and converting it on blackboard

Excellent online meeting tool

Blackboard Collaborate is an essential tool for online meetings. Provides more than just voice meetings and allows an interactive experience. This provided an excellent meeting experience for 9-12 high school students in an online environment.

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate is an efficient tool to use for online meetings. Meeting hosts can load presentations into a whiteboard space and navigate as the meeting progresses. Participants have a variety of tools available to participate in the meeting including a chat box, emoticons, raise hand, step away and other features. Video for both the host and the participants can be enabled. Whiteboard tools can be activated to allow users to write on the whiteboard space using a variety of writing tools. Meetings can be recorded, downloaded, and saved for users to view at other time.

Cons

This software can have a high learning curve. Very intimidating for non-technical users. Proper customer and technical training is highly recommended. Large groups (100 plus) will lag in Blackboard Collaborate.

Blackboard Collaborate Ultra

Blackboard Collaborate (Ultra) has improved over the past year or so. Being able to set up all of my chat sessions for the course in advance is most helpful and I do utilize the recording option with every chat so that my students can refer back to the recording for clarification, demonstrations, and/or in case they missed the live session. Being able to successfully share my entire screen is a must...

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate (Ultra) has improved and now I can share my entire screen with my students without the image erroring out or showing repeated screens that trail off into infinity, which means I no longer have to switch from application to application and can seamlessly share any program or document as soon as it is opened.

Cons

The ability to detach or un-dock the text chat box and move it around to a different location while sharing my screen during a live chat would be most helpful. When you are using two monitors and focusing on one it would be great if the text box could be shown in a more convenient spot so I could see it at the same time.

Equips you to be organized

I have completed several courses both in class and online through blackboard and have minimal negative comments. I have taken it for math, science, and even art courses and each were fairly easy to navigate. Having electronic copies of important documents, like the syllabus, is invaluable because it is always accessible for your reference. The more you use it, the easier it becomes to navigate.

Pros

Everything you needed for the course could be found under its heading, so you always had access to your syllabus and course requirements. It allows the unconventional student to be equipped with everything they need to still learn outside of the classroom - at the convenience of their own time.

Cons

Just because all the information is provided does not mean you are automatically organized - toggling between tabs creates the possibility of potentially missing an assignment, as blackboard does not alert you when something is due. therefore, if you happen to skip over a tab in the class you may also be skipping over an assignment.

Blackboard Collaborate Review

Overall, I think Blackboard Collaborate is a very easy program to learn and use. It has it's kinks but it gets the job done at the end of the day and has so many features available with it.

Pros

Blackboard is so easy to use in comparison to other whiteboard applications I have used throughout my work career. It has a slew of features to it including video and voice chats, typing chats, whiteboards with multiple different tools available to use with it, file sharing, and weblink sharing among many other features.

Cons

The biggest and most frequent issue I have run into with the Blackboard program would be the freezing. At least two or three time's a day the program would freeze and you'd have to exit and reload the Blackboard room in order to continue using the program. Sometimes the sound would cut out or the video would be grainy and sometimes attachments and files would not send through on the first go around and you'd have to resend them.

Very Useful Technology!

I liked using Blackboard being able to stay on top of all my grades while staying on top of my assignments is a huge help. Thanks to Blackboard it has made me be a better student.

Pros

I enjoyed using Blackboard as a student of a local community college. I found that it was really easy to use and one of the best programs I had ever encountered! It was so important to me to be able to learn not only in class, but also at home. Being that I had not been in classes in some time it sometimes took me longer than my classmates to understand, and learn things. I was able to use Blackboard at home and they had many different activities that would help you get extra practice from flashcards, quizzes and labs that you could use to help you better understand the curriculum that was being taught that day!

Cons

Sometimes down for scheduled banner maintenance so was not able to access my grades or assignments when I needed to. Thankfully I was always informed of any maintenance beforehand so I was able to see the information needed before it was down! (Not usually very long at all though!)

Student review of Blackboard

Pros

I used this platform while in college. All of our classes were accessible in one place and we had access to teachers/classmates at all times. Could ask questions and get immediate responses. Could submit papers/assignments so you never had to worry about your dog eating it (😁). Calendar kept you organized on due dates and class material. Grades on classwork/tests were easily accessible at all times.

Cons

From a student perspective it was a great program. There were only a couple of things that I found difficult but I think it had more to do with the teacher who set up the class on Blackboard. Some material was hard to find. Too many options to put assignments. They should all go in one place. Didn't like the fact that I had to open up 5 folders to find reading assignment or questions to be answered. Discussion board could get overwhelming and looked very disorganized

Great for any Educational Program

Overall experience, I would like to see if blackboard has an app. If not, I would recommend switching to Canvas and using that program since that program is easy to use and the app is rather great. Blackboard is still a great program and I had no issues with it but we all want the simplicity of a program from students to teachers because we as humans just want programs to work and work with us to achieve goals.

Pros

Great product that I use when I went to a community college. We use to use this as our online resources for materials like class work or books and etc. It was easy to use and I loved the simplicity of the layout

Cons

No cons to generate because it was a fairly easy program to use and I would definitely recommend to anyone who is in the educational background to use. ONE CON - not sure if they have an app now but Canvas has an app and that program works great. So I would definitely recommend looking into that.