Crunch Reviews

Crunch

You live life. We do the numbers.

Crunch

Review Summary

Pros

Super helpful, easy to use, love the system. Hassle free accounting - I feel like they actually 'get' me and understand what I'm doing.

Ben - www.iamben.co.uk

Ability to discuss accounts over the phone while looking at the same numbers. A repository of all paperwork / ability to generate paperwork / ability to generate preliminary accounts.

odd n.

Good clear presentation. It does a very job for what is a complex subject area and helps me track my accounting activities.

Martyn W.

Cons

I am shocked of their very poor ethics and consideration against freelancers and small businesses.

tom o.

I am now dealing with the worst customer experience, with late fee payments and been forced to pay a full year of subscription despite my wish to leave.

tom o.

I have been a customer since 2012 and noticed the services getting poorer every year.

4.4

Been using Crunch now for 5 years. Has been a huge help in growing my company - www.benjaminball.com

I was an early adopter of the Crunch service because I bought into the idea of an online book keeping system backed up by accounting services. Crunch has delivered on all counts. Over five years we have grown our business nearly five-fold and Crunch has been a reliable partner throughout. Because they do so much more than the standard book keeping software systems (ie VAT returns, PAYE returns,...

Pros

- Easy to learn and to use - Combines accounting with book keeping - Good for cash flow - Responsive people - Good alerts so accounting deadlines are met

Cons

- new developments are not always as quick to arrive as you would like - financial reporting is OK, but not amazing - certainly good enough for a small business

Excellent stuff

A few years back I quit my job at an agency and started freelancing. Work came in, everything was great. I debated setting up a company but it looked complicated - it was less about the invoicing and whatnot, more about the legalities. After about 6 months of doing it myself, I realised it just wasn't efficient and decided to do something about it. I had no idea what to look for, but after a suggestion...

Pros

Cons

None, really.

Crunch - Sigh

Oh how I used to love Crunch, the answer to all my one ban band freelance design business woes, well that's how it was for the first 6 months. It went sour after that and eventually rock bottom and perished, leaving a very bad taste in my mouth and a very stressful 18 months. On the front of it, it's great at invoicing and keeping a tally of ins and outs. Until you have to update all your expenses...

Pros

Not many

Cons

Plenty

Hi there, We've been unable to find anyone on our system matching your name so unable to get in touch directly to sort these issues out, obviously very sorry to hear you've had a sub-par experience with us. To address some of your issues directly: Raising invoices / recording expenses and bank reconciliation are part and parcel of any online accounting or bookkeeping system. We recently launched...

Saves us so much time and amazing staff

saving time and a better understanding of accounting for companies

Pros

Where to start? I knew nothing about accounting so when we started I wanted an online company, Crunch basically do it all! Once you get round the software (it's not exactly simple but what accounting program can be??) it's very easy to use and the real time info is great. We use it for tax returns, PAYE and personal tax and it's an essential tool for us!

Cons

The reporting side can be better, you get great bar charts but only for the active tax year. I'd like to see more historical visual charts to help build up a better picture of the companies growth.

Great service, really helpful team, good advice and essential for me when I was getting started

Pros

Excellent web interface makes it easy to access all of my accounting information in one go. I love the fact that its online so that I can use any device to get to my accounts, and NO spreadsheets!!!

Cons

An iPhone/iPad app would be great for quick view information. I would also love a more fully inclusive contract review service, the existing arrangement with 5 day lead time is often too long so I end up having to go elsewhere. Sometimes I want a quick answer such as 'which category should I list this expense as?' - this would be nicely solved via an online chat function which would be really useful. Finally, proper 2 factor authentication (Google authenticator) would be good too.

Great online accountancy software

Pros

The software is easy to use and full-featured, at least in its desktop version. Backed up with great support from the Crunch accountants and client managers.

Cons

It doesn't scale down particularly well to phones. The iOS app should be full-featured and include the Snap functionality (which is available through a separate app).

Crunch has given me more oversight and control over the financial performance of my business.

Lower cost than traditional accountants, more feeling of oversight and control over financial position, more empowerment as a business owner

Pros

The various dashboards make it easier to see how my business is performing in terms of sales, revenue and profit. Invoicing, expensing, bank reconciliation and keeping on top of taxes are all easy. Notifications are clear and prompt, so I'm never at risk of falling behind with my accounting.

Cons

Timed logout is too quick - I'm often toggling between tabs and tasks and don't want to have to sign in every 5 minutes. It's time-consuming to rectify historical mistakes in banking reconciliation. Non-compatibility of certain bank statements is a pain.

I'm a long time Crunch user and very happy with it.

Makes it possible to run my business without wasting evenings and weekends keeping my accounts up to date.

Pros

The software covers all my needs for recording invoices, expenses, calculating taxes, preparing accounts and so on. It is pretty easy to use too for most things. I like the reminders that tell you when payments are due and taxes need to be paid. I don't need to remember very much. The automated bank reconciliation process makes it easy to keep up to date too.

Cons

I get a bit confused over how the payments for Corporation Tax work - but my account manager is always on hand to sort things out for me,

Gets the job done for much less than traditional accountants

We've been using Crunch for almost a year now, and they've saved us a huge amount of money over traditional accountants. But it's also taken a long time to learn the software and it's not flexible enough to be our only tool. The biggest limitation is the reporting, there are a couple built in reports but you can't edit the reporting period!

Cons

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to review our service. We're really pleased that you're enjoying the service and happy to recommend us! So that we can improve the experience for yourself and other customers, would you mind providing a little more feedback to our Client Experience Manager, Andy, about adapting to the software? We'd really appreciate the extra insight. Andy can be contacted directly using andrew@crunch.co.uk We're aware that the reporting functionality requires some improvement and we're confident that we'll see this added next year. We always look to take on board feedback from our customers and look to improve on our software - we never sit still! Thanks again.

I can usually achieve my goals without the need for help from the account manager or an accountant.

It really makes my accountancy tasks easier and helps me having a clear picture of the current status of expenses vs. income. With the helpful notification I can also be on top of the deadlines for submissions to HMRC in terms of taxes, VAT returns or any other needed documentation.

Pros

All the relevant numbers information is clearly displayed on simple dashboards which makes it extremely easy to have a clear picture on the transactions performed, the amounts getting in and out of the account and expenses.

Cons

Sometimes the navigation is not 100% straightforward. Even actions I have performed a couple of times, sometimes I have a hard time remembering under which section menu they can be found.

Going massively downhill

Trying to use them as accountants for my small limited company. Pretty tempted to swap to Quickbooks.

Pros

Bank reconciliation with certain banks is free and easy to use. Nice to know your tax exposure at any point.

Cons

They are dropping their iPhone app, which is pretty basic and could be so much better, but allows fast expense entry. No have top use their website, which isn't the best. You no longer have a dedicated account manager, you have a pool of them, so you don't get continuity and there's always a different person responding to emails. There seems to be a huge shortage of accountants, they take literally...

Great software backed by people who call you back and know what they are doing.

Complete and instant control of my business finances. Understanding where my company funds are is essential to a small company like mine.

Pros

You are in complete control of your accounts, you instantly know how much you have, what you owe and who you owe it too. Business planning is made simple when you can see your finances at the click of a button.

Cons

Some of the banking dashboards were poor, but have recently been improved. Everything else is spot on.

Fantastic, Flawless, Painfree, Friendly, Knowledgable, Fast

My accounting is pain-free and easy. Everything is done for me reliably and if I ever have any questions I get an answer extremely fast.

Pros

The software does the job, but it's the team and accountants you get with the software that put Crunch miles ahead of any competitor.

Cons

Mobile experience/Responsiveness could be better, but I have managed to do most things on a phone eventually.

Very pleasing indeed.

Pros

Cons

Would be good to have more context sensitive help. And where there are icons identifying attached documents, easy presentation of the documents on a right-mouse click would be good. Also the expenses presentation as a list, it reports 'combined' for items reconciled and combined but does not report reconciled for singular expense payments. The mobile app is less capable.

Most user friendly accountancy software i've come across

Pros

user friendly - lots of help guides & always someone on the end of the phone. GOod to have a better understanding of what is going on with the business accounts.

Cons

no particular negative feedback. its taken me a little while to get to grips with it but now i understand a bit more about accountancy, it all works v well. maybe clients should get a short introduction guided tour to understand all the features better & how accountancy works e.g. i didn't understand what a directors loan account was.

Excellent control of finances and quick support when it's needed

Instant views of costs and profit.

Pros

Being able to review and see all the business financials and keep on top of the critical things like tax and payments. Easy to navigate and record/track in and outgoing money. High level views of funds available and where payments have been made.

Cons

Would like more reports for current, previous and all years of trading. Be good to get more graphical outputs, comparison of cash flow year on year and in parallel. I'd like more output from the information it stores.

Easy to use software

Pros

This is very intuitive software, looks nice and navigation is good. Working in IT, its nice to find some good software like this which doesnt require training or much explaination. Support is always on hand should you need it

Cons

I do not have any issues with the software - the login is very slow.

I do enjoy the Crunch platform, but think it could be more helpful to automate some data entry.

All of my business finances are online and accurate.

Pros

The invoicing and automated emails are very helpful. The instructional videos are v. good and helpful but I think you need more of that embedded within the platform. Also the UI is very clean and well layed out. Probably too many clicks for some tasks but otherwise very good.

Cons

Expenses. The data entry, and reconciling process is too manual and laborious. I think there definitely should be a free app with unlimited scanning of receipts and the app should complete expenses in Crunch by default. And I also think I should be able to link my bank account to Crunch and not have to do the whole import/export/reconcile/scan process. For the amount paid for Crunch as a service I think these services should be covered as well. I think the End of Year Taxes could be better illustrated on the platform as I'm still unsure how much Tax I'm due to pay towards the end of the year. Also I think it would not take too much research to create a Salary calculator so that you can compare day/hourly rates to yearly salaries.

Everything I ever wanted and more

After moving to Crunch I'd never go to any other form of online accountancy. Where do I start? The system itself is intuitive and easy to use, it helps you every step of the way and if that's not enough you are one phone call away from a well informed, friendly, patient, and intelligent account handler. The whole system has transformed my understanding of my business. It takes away all the mundane...

Pros

Too many to list, does absolutely everything and makes it simple and inituitive to use and understand.

Cons

Few if any. They aren't available on the phone at weekends but who is!

Has made the accounting requirements very easy and time saving.

Time, I don't spend a great deal of time on my accounts.

Pros

Ease of use. Repetitive tasks can be easily automated. Good status information of companies position.

Cons

Does not provide support for holding and transacting in investments made via the company, i.e. stocks & shares.

Easy to use, if stuck get support promptly

Saves me a lot of time

Pros

Intuitive and very useful to have snapshot of level of dividends I can take. Its also very easy to keep everything up to date

Cons

Word search sometimes hit and miss although this is not a real issue as help is always available when needed

Very intuitive software and a perfect balance of control/taken off your hands

Pros

I am able to see everything intuitively but I especially love the Apps and how they interact with Crunch

Cons

I still think there is more that can be done using mobile, alerts for VAT payments etc but I use the calendar import which is reality, the same thing

Great functionality backed up by great customer support.

Pros

All the important stuff is handled automatically, or with minimal input needed from me, leaving me to get on running with my business.

Cons

Performance can be a little quirky running in Edge browser, but fine in Chrome or Internet Explorer.

Software is good but pretty awful company with low quality service & high staff turnover

The software works pretty well but the company itself basically does nothing for you. You do all the expenses and reconciliation yourself and most of the tax calculation is automated or you have to do it yourself so the accountant only looks at it for the corporation tax return. They never suggest ways you can save tax apart from the most basic standard ways. They never consult you about expected...

Pros

Easy to see the exact state of your business at any moment Easy to export data and tax documents

Cons

Steep learning curve You do all of the reconciliation yourself instead of an accountant No proactive tax advice or strategy so you pay a lot more tax overall

Perfect for small business - Crunch takes all the pain out of running my company.

Allowed me to set up my own business from inception to trading in a matter of days.

Pros

Simplicity. Every tab shows me a summary of what I need to know. Ease of Use. Reduces the time required on day-to-day administration of my company. Customer support team. They're excellent - and answer all my queries clearly, no matter how daft the question!