Cerner Ambulatory EHR Logo

3.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend6.93/10

Reviews by rating

I appreciate the hearts helping guide me to chart certain tasks at a designated frequency. I can read my orders and labs easily, which is very important.
My overall experience with Cener is pleasant. I used a different EHR before Cerner, and most of the staffs at my hospital can agree that Cerner is better.
Overall a good platform that is relatively clean and easy to use once you get used to all the functionality features.
Problems that arise because of difficulty to navigate certain areas; users are unaware and unable to utilize full capacity of software.
I really have too many bad things to say about the software system, it has always been there for me when I need it, I have yet to run into any problems when finding records.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 10,001+ employees

Great Product for Easy Coding

Because of Cerner EHR we are able to code all types of outpatient charts allowing employees in different functions all to use the same product which allows for less training time.

Pros

This software allows user to easily switch between patient types in the electronic health record and carries over information from other softwares easily.

Cons

The functionality of this software experiences downtime occasionally.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Medical software at its finest

Pros

I have been using Cerner Powerchart for over four years and still consider it the best medical software. I find the layout to be easy to navigate and extremely user friendly. Unlike so many other software, you dont have to click through tons of boxes to complete a simple task

Cons

I really love this software and struggle to find cons. Occasionally when I click on the software icon the software doesn't load and occasionally when I'm using the software it freezes and I have to close it and reopen.

ND

Nicolas D.

Mental Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

Extremely poor value for the money

The user experience is completely not user-friendly, often needing ongoing clarification for what are basic searching or to complete basic routine activities. Amazingly poor UX/UI layout, and often confusing. The customer services has been all along a nightmare. For more than two months initially in March 2016 when we wanted to start this system we were forced to keep calling in prescriptions to pharmacies...

Pros

Easier to write progress notes.

Cons

What I wrote about e-prescribe.

PowerChart: A robust EMR system, but not easy to learn

Pros

The software is customization to some extent. It can help to ensure that clinical staff are filling in all required documentation, which is nice from a coding and charging perspective. It makes sure that all the required sections are filled in that are needing to bill something.

Cons

It is not an easy program to learn. It also can take a significant amount of time to chart things if your staff is used to being able to write their own notes.

Gets the job done!

All in all it's a good product and I am able to get my work done.

Pros

This program, for the most part is easy to navigate. The layout is fairly simple to follow. I am usually able to accomplish what I need in a days work without worrying about the system booting me out or freezing up.

Cons

I don't like that there are several different ways to do one task. This can make training new hires very difficult and easily confused.

Ok EMR

Cerner allows my organization to chart for patients securely.

Pros

Cerner has uses for every teams dicipline and it certainly does it's job for patients electronic medical chart.

Cons

Cerner's interface is clunky and things seem to be scattered about everywhere. Getting use to utilizing Cerner takes a while, and finding where information is put can take some time.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

Good EHR software for hospital documentation

Pros

My hospital switched to Cerner over a year ago from an old EHR system. At first, it was a little confusing because it was different, but everyone ended up liking Cerner. They had staffs on-site for over a month who provided the staff with useful information. The layout is simplistic and the documentations are easy to find. Cener also has the capability to be linked up with the glucometers so the result will be imported into the system automatically, which we had to enter manually before Cerner

Cons

For the purpose of my job, I don't really have any problems with Cerner. While I do not find it hard to use at all, I had older nurse colleagues who struggled with it initally.

Not a fan

Pros

This software is functional but time consuming to get the hang of.

Cons

This software takes forever to learn and even after having used it for a year and a half I still think, where did I chart that one tiny detail that one time? It's just not as intuitive as other software I've used. In others I felt like it prompted me to fill out and chart on a patient using a checklist. This one you just have to hope you remembered you charted everything and am commonly triple checking before leaving for the day.

Sometimes difficult to navigate

Pros

PowerChart is a comprehensive electronic medical record powered through Cerner. Results and notes can be seen immediately after being posted and is available to all caregivers that have legitimate access.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to navigate the software. I think the tabs and notes can be better organized for ease of use.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

PowerChart

Can be used on most days for routine purposes; would not use it on a larger scale

Pros

Has most features that one expects from a EMR; has features like electronic order; laboratory view, Xrays

Cons

Cannot handle a huge load of patients. Very difficult to use cerner for research purposes especially when one has to extract data

AM

Ashley M.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Efficient EMR program; User friendly!

My specific department is a centralized scheduling group that oversees all surgery scheduling for the organization. In one day we typically talk with/schedule over 300 patients. This means that we have to be able to quickly access and review a patients chart prior to scheduling their procedure. This used to include many clicks and time - We are now able to do this very quickly and efficiently. (Hence why our group is able to handle all surgery scheduling for the organization)

Pros

Implementing Cerner has been nothing but a positive experience and we have continued to find ways to improve our program to benefit each department within our clinic. Patients have also experienced the increased efficiency since implementing Cerner - This has been our biggest win!

Cons

Currently our program does not interface with all pharmacy scripting programs and Dragon dictation software that many providers like to utilize. We are working with other programs & have workaround workflows in place to address this but will be working more closely with representatives from Cerner to ensure this is not an issue with necessary interfaces going forward.

Jaehoon L.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Rich function, poor user friendly interface

We could deal with physicians' need of a comprehensive computer system to support patient care. Usability issues still remain but it's quite common in modern EHR systems.

Pros

Cerner Ambulatory EHR is one the well known and popularly used EHR systems in the US. It has most of the functions that are needed for outpatient care, computerized order entry system, and data data entry for meaningful use. The consultants from Cerner are hard-working, knowledgable, and deal with issues in a prompt manner.

Cons

Although it is a production system, it used to be so slow and physicians complain about ordering time takes up to 10 seconds. Citrix based desktop is slow. User interface and layout of components in Physician workflow is not intuitive and hard to learn. Overall it results in longer data entry time and takes physicians' time to talk to patients.

cg

chrys g.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Cerner PowerChart -An EHR system easy to use, HIPAA compliant and efficient in your charting

I have had a very positive experience with Cerner PowerChart. It was the first EHR system I used when our hospital system transitioned from paper to electronical medical records. It was easy to learn and easy to navigate, making daily charting a breeze.

Pros

I like Cerner PowerChart because it has features that allow me to compete my patient orders, including e-prescribing, note writing, lab reviewing, patient search, all in my fingertips

Cons

Some versions of Cerner PowerChart don't have all features and capabilities activated, so different hospitals' versions have limitations, for example in searching for medications in an concise and efficient manner

LF

Leslie F.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Solid EHR, that is multi functional for clinic and hospital

I would recommend to a hospital with an ambulatory clinic as it helps keep information flowing between the two systems in an accurate manner

Pros

All areas are basically the same so using this product for ambulatory as well as hospital and emergency provides ease of use. Many other facilities use this product so that is helpful in sharing of information.

Cons

It is expensive. There were some issues with our build and the billing does not work as well as we had hoped.

AA

Alex A.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

Excellent for patient tracking!

Pros

The best software I've used for tracking patient's history and orders. It helps me accurately organize and make sure all radiology orders performed for selected patients are attached to their specific radiologist reading tests.

Cons

The only difficulty that I came across with at the beginning was finding reports and documents for patients when they were requested. With some training this task becomes pretty easy making this software absolutely useful!

RK

Rohit K.

Medical Practice, self-employed

Cerner review

Pros

Cerner is very user friendly when starting off with using EMR for the first time. Less complicated as compared to other EMRs.

Cons

No cons about cerner so far. Needs better integration like Epic for care everywhere and getting records at a single place.

RM

Rachael M.

Medical Practice, 5,001-10,000 employees

Cerner as EMR

Overall, it is a pretty intuitive EMR. It was easy to adapt to. It covers all the important aspects an EMR should have.

Pros

I like the note templates it provides, and that it allows you to create your own personal templates and smart phrases. The medication reconciliation feature is also helpful especially for admissions.

Cons

I wish some features were easier to use including patient assessments and I's and O's.

SY

Sara Y.

Antipsychotics and Interventions

We started on Powerchart in Feb 2015. At that time our antipsychotic rate for residents on dementia was at 15.8% With the use of the behavior tracking and the interventions in PowerChart we have successfully reduced our antipsychotics to 4% !

Pros

I really like the Behavior Eval/Intervention sections. With the use of Results Review you can see what was documented and what intervention was used in a report form to use in your Psychotropic Meetings.

Cons

The only thing I would say is a con is that there is no "Other" or free text box in the behaviors to choose or track something more specific.

JS

Jessica S.

Not as user-friendly as EPIC

I prefer EPIC over Cerner.

Pros

Cerner is a good EMR program with the basic features of patient appointments, documentation, outside records, lab results, etc.

Cons

Cerner is not as user-friendly as EPIC's EMR. It takes about a month of daily use to get the hang of where different files and information are located in the patient chart. I wish its search feature could search more in-depth within the patient chart like EPIC does.

KH

Kelsey H.

Powerchart is valuable to have because many different healthcare entities use this software.

Pros

It is easy to access and locate lab results. I like that you can see the results of certain diagnostic tests, as well as other tests even if they were not ordered by your physician.

Cons

It is easy to choose the incorrect encounter for a patient to make it hard to locate results. The software is not self-explanatory.

MG

Mallory G.

Cerner is by far the easiest, most user friendly EMR available.

Pros

The maintenance on the software is minimal. It's stable and Cerner helps maintain a lot of it. We use all of the applications available and have been so pleased.

Cons

It's a whole system, so downtime includes taking everything down. You can't do it piece by piece. This causes downtime for the entire organization.

DC

Don C.

1,001-5,000 employees

Functional

Pros

I was happy with the training we received as users. The Cerner educators were very friendly and knowledgeable about the products.

Cons

The thing I most disliked was the seemingly ever updating changes that we endured. It seemed as if the program was always being updated, requiring more training.

TR

Tiffany R.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

EMR Review

AWESOME, love the customer service.

Pros

Ease of use, easy to navigate a patients chart, easy to make customizations. Very user friendly and makes documenting and placing orders on patients very easy

Cons

Integration with some third parties is hard but it is doable.

Nick S.

Lacking accessibility and functionality

PowerChart enables us to communicate across facilities and disciplines for patient care. Lab results, visit summaries, H&Ps, nursing notes, and other disciplines' involvement is all present at our fingertips. However, having worked with another EMR product, I feel this product is lacking in many areas. More innovation could be done to make navigation simpler and the layout more viewer-friendly.

Pros

Much better than paper charting; ability for interdisciplinary communication

Cons

Not as user-friendly or functional as other EMR products out there. Chart reviews take much longer and documentation feels so dependent on flowsheets that it's difficult to find important information or to communicate effectively.

BM

Brian M.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

PowerChart

Manageable

Pros

Very complex but can be helpful if you have right note template. Can be difficult due to all of the functionality. Hard to be super user unless your are a hospitalist

Cons

Complexity and difficulty getting support on the spot