EpicCare Logo

Suggested alternatives

athenaclinicals
nextgen-ambulatory-ehr
simplepractice

It is easy to use, once you get the appropriate training and practice. I like that is a great investigative tool to search for timelines in the past.
I really liked that it was easy to navigate and easy to find what I need for my patients. I like that you have to enter in certain information in order to move forward.
Steep learning curve, and i'm not even sure if that's something that can be fixed. People that have had other systems and are older struggle sometimes.

Tim B.

Systems Engineer

The industry leader for reliable Electronic Medical Record

Transcript

Tim B.: Hi, I'm Tim. I'm a systems engineer. I give EpicCare EMR a five out of five. For more reviews...

RW

Rachel W.

Bookkeeper

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Great set up

Transcript

Rachel: My name is Rachel. I'm a social worker. I give EpicCare EMR, a four out of five stars. For more...

JEFF K.

Hospitality, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used other for 6-12 months

EpicCare EMR

I am a Patient who relies on quick and effective uses of technology to navigate my health concerns via my team of physicians who have taken on EpicCare EMR to facilitate patient health and communication needs. I have learned my side of the patient portal by trial and error like those in my Doctor's office.

Pros

This has become the new integrated software to combine my health care providers through a creative, detailed and fast network of patient portal communication. Two of my Health Care Providers and Companies have taken to Epic to ensure they never miss a beat with a patient such as myself. Well put together.

Cons

It launched with one of my Care Teams and was a little bit of a disaster getting off the ground smoothly ensuring there were no glitches. It has since worked itself out and my users are very comfortable with the system.

The industry leader for reliable Electronic Medical Record

Electronic Medical Record is the core of a health care system. Epic is the cream of the crop. It is *not* just another application. It can displace/replace many of your other applications, so we saw dozens of IT people move away from applications and systems that were replaced and into Epic roles. If your organization devotes the time and resources to it, you are nearly guaranteed success. At a price $$$, of course. From an end-user perspective, it takes a while for clinicians to get used to it. For example, in Epic there may be many more steps for a given procedure as compared to another EMR, but those steps are there to make sure that the application is bullet-proof, and users get used to it and appreciate it after a short time.

Pros

Epic, the company, makes sure that your implementation succeeds, stays stable and reliable, and performs fast. They (Epic) constantly monitor performance, DR/BC availability, and uptime and tell you *exactly* how you should configure your environment. Your are absolutely not on your own with Epic.

Cons

The flip side to the Epic company being so involved in your setup and operation is that it takes a lot of internal employees to make it happen Epic's prescribed way, and there is a lot of internal employee involvement in setup, testing, and ongoing maintenance. In other words, Epic requires a lot of TLC, but it is extremely stable and reliable.

BH

Bei H.

The worst end

It’s not designed to help pts. It’s designed to maximize billing .

Pros

Care everywhere helps with looking at info from other institutions

Cons

The implementation of this software at our hospital was a disaster. Orders were incorrect . Some medications were 10x the dose. There were no epic super users nearby. Because orders were built incorrectly, a pharmacist could change an order of mine without my cosignature and it was an erroneous change that could have resulted in a patient death. There is no quality control with the rollout . Many of...

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

All patient info in one place!

Epic has been a lovely product to use and makes my day-to-day job much easier than if I had to go through paper records. It is an efficient product and helps me get the patient info I need quickly and securely.

Pros

Epic is a secure way to access information from a patient's chart, whether that patient is currently admitted at the hospital or has previously been treated at your facility. The search within a specific patient's chart is robust and smart, populating results that may be related to the keyword you searched. Epic also allows you to access documents related to a patient from an outside hospital/institution. Epic's security features protect patient privacy from all ends.

Cons

Running Epic requires some setup, namely downloading a receiver to access the application. This additional step is not particularly difficult but does slow down the process of getting to Epic. I wish there was a desktop option for easy access to Epic.

Henry P.

EpicCare EMR helps us better care our patients

With EpicCare, clinics can streamline their workflows using personalized screens, dashboards and specialty applications. The application's finance module allows clinics to track payments, bills and invoices. EpicCare is a mobile-ready solution, allowing both doctors and patients to access information on their Apple devices.

Pros

I love patient portal and e-prescribing features which helps us meet the Meaningful Use Stage 2 requirements. The tool also supports telemedicine options that allow our doctors to communicate with patients via a video platform and offers mobile and tablet functionality. EpicCare MyChart allows patients to view medical information, message doctors, schedule appointments and manage medical history via a personalized portal.

Cons

The health maintenance options could be better, and easier to see and mark as complete. Also out would be easier if when you marked something got a preference it wouldn't add a copy to the main menu. Upgrade to EPIC 2017 is a fight.

Heather H.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Epic

Pros

There are a ton of different functions within Epic. One of the things I like the most is that there are multiple ways to do almost everything, so each person can find the way that works best for them and their job function. Some parts are customizable, such as which tabs/buttons you have along the top of your screen. I like that you can take away what you don't use.

Cons

There is definitely a learning curve to Epic. It can be very overwhelming with all of the different functions and figuring out which ones you need and which ones you don't. I feel that the workflow isn't the smoothest, and there are entirely too many clicks for what should be simple, quick tasks.

Scott L.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

The Best EMR Option Right Now

Pros

EPIC is not an easy piece of software to use, learn, or train on but once you get into it and use it you will find it does everything you need. In just a few hours most end users will be up and running with minimal issues with normal day to day use.

Cons

This software is expensive and requires a knowledgeable IT staff and powerful infrastructure hardware. If you are a smaller facility you may want to look for another option, but EPIC is a fantastic solution for almost every healthcare provider out there.

Danilo D.

Public Safety, 11-50 employees

Pros

I enjoy using this product for my nursing staff and management team. The user ability is endless and it makes charting and patient care very much easier than all and it allows us to merge records quickly as well.

Cons

The cost and the training on the soft ware is a bit out of bounda

Kayla U.

Hospital & Health Care,

Overall, wonderful. Some improvements to be made but they are constantly improving for the customer

Pros

The ease of navigation between functions and the multiple ways to perform functions which allow for us to determine the best way for you

Cons

no true complaints that are devastating or frustrating with the software. minor complaints that could maybe be considered petty

Kirsten P.

Performing Arts, 11-50 employees

As a patient, Epic is the best thing that has happened to medical care communication.

Epic/MyChart organizes my family's medical documents all in one place. its great.

Pros

I can ask questions of my doctors. I can look up my data and dates. I can review old visits. I can make appointments. I can request refills or review prescriptions. It's the medical documents I SHOULD be hanging on to, but all organized for me.

Cons

It's really well done. If pressed, I would like the ability to message doctors with whom I've not visited in over two years. Perhaps that is a limitation set up by my provider but that's annoying that I can't message a doctor from several years ago.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

The Gold Standard of EMR

It makes clinical care and documentation so much easier, the billers/coders love it, and I can access outside patient records from other institutions that use Epic, so I know I'm not missing anything. Every hospital in the country needs to implement Epic.

Pros

The ease of use is perhaps number one for Epic. Having used some of the older EMRs, I am well aware of how an EMR can make or break your day. Epic is the best EMR I have used, and perhaps the best one out there. Its ease of use is second to none, and it's extremely intuitive (so even without a training course, which you're likely get anyway, you can pick up how to use this EMR in perhaps a few hours)....

Cons

Compared to other EMRS, I can't think of anything negative to say.

SM

Stephanie M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 10,001+ employees

Pros

I've been using Epic Care EMR for 8 years at my place of employment. We were given serious notice in advance when we were transferring from paper charts to electronic charts. Growing up in the technology age, transferring to electronic charts was not a huge change for me. I was able to chart what I needed for my patients very easily. I was able to teach others how to do so as well. I moved to a doctor's office 4 months ago who had just started using this system in their office so I was well aware of the software so I didn't need ask any questions. I had just kept moving forward with working with the system.

Cons

Downtime to updating the software was always on the night shift and I felt bad for nurses because if the downtime was for 4 hours, it would be difficult for the nurses to chart after the downtime was done before passing medications for the morning. It was always a inconvenient time but I think that was the IT department's choice, not the actual software's choice; for this review anyways.

NH

Naja H.

EPIC EMR User friend medical records system

In general epicure EMR patient health information medical record system is a great tool to integrate into large hospital systems. Especially for streamlined and easy to use integration of an medical record system. In addition because it has been used broadly by many large healthcare systems many people are trained on how to use epic and in addition they are able to translate their knowledge of other electronic medical record systems to the use of EpicCare system

Pros

In general some of the pros about the software is that it is very easy to use and it is very accessible from anywhere as long as you have an account. In addition allows you to access your patients medical records from a secure browser and system from remote locations. In addition it’s very easy to explore specific patient information as needed for data purposes.

Cons

The things that I like least about the software are that you do have to go through extensive training to be permitted to utilize the system. Although I do understand from the perspective of integration of patient health information it’s very important that users are knowledgeable on how to properly use the system.

NS

Nikki S.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

Professional but redundant

Thorough, professional but redundant and often time consuming to complete a patient pathway for care.

Pros

In healthcare without documentation it didn’t happens so it is key to record what is done for patients. I appreciated how thorough this software is and how quick the dropboxes allowed me to fill out a patient chart while in their room during a treatment session. The shortcut phrases were very helpful for common statements that were needed in patient charts. Being able to create a template made documentation thorough as well.

Cons

Redundant and I wish the software would “talk” to other pages more. For example, as a therapist, I would have to fill out a daily care tab and then a therapy tab, both time stamped the same except it required me to comment in 2 separate areas requiring more of my time to complete. If the system talked to each page then it could auto-populate saving patient treatment time instead of therapist documentation time.

NG

Noel G.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Best of the hospital systems I have used

If I were a hospital system picking an EMR based solely on usability I would chose Epic. I have used several other EMR systems at other hospitals and none really compare to epic.

Pros

I like the ease of use overall. Once I had templates set up for my personal use it was very quick and easy to write a high quality note that included stuff that was useful and not just filler. I have primarily used it in the nursery. The app for iphone is by far the best EMR app I have used. It is very quick to log on and allows access to most of the things we need. The only downside of the app is the inability to enter orders.

Cons

While it is very east to use once it is customized, a degree in software engineering is almost a requirement to do the customizing yourself. Fortunately I had help when the software was implemented to get exactly what I want. It would be difficulty for me to change things if I needed to.

Medical Practice, 1,001-5,000 employees

EpicCare EMR

I have had an overall good experience with this software. I am looking forward to how it evolves with AI built into the EMR.

Pros

I have been using this software for about 3 years. The software is very intuitive to use most of the time. The menus are clean and fairly easy to navigate. The ability to have the whole patient history right in front of your fingertips is a big plus in 2021. The software is one of best on the market for EMR in 2021.There are no major glitches or bugs that I have encountered using this product over the past three years.

Cons

I feel the help menu does need some improving at this time. When the software updates things are changed and moved around alot on the menus. I feel there room for improvement on the help menus.I wish there was a live chat feature embedded in the software with customer support.

HM

Heather M.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Generational program

It has been a great system to bring the organization together. The access to see outside medical records, office visits, Ed visits and other testing is helpful in treating the patient as a whole.

Pros

The ease of maneuvering throughout the system. With little education the program was self explanatory. When working in the hospital the different aspects, like the banner help to quickly analyze the patient at hand.

Cons

Certain features throughout different organizations allow for a very general physical assessment. The option available is no change or normal. Example: a person’s normal HR could be a-fib but the option to chose regularly irregular would be considered the normal for the patient. What is needed for any change would be to document the actual sound. Also the charting by exception makes it difficult for other disciplines to know what is really going on.

JK

Julia K.

EPIC user

Overall, I am happy with EPIC. It made my life much easier then when I had to deal with the paper charts.

Pros

The organization I work at was one of the first organizations that started using EPIC when It became available. The best part of EPIC is that one can easily find all necessary information about a patient. Everything is there, labs, radiology reports, medical professionals notes, immunizations, referrals, etc. EPIC is easy to navigate, once one learns the navigation process and EPIC features.

Cons

There are too many features to remember. Many features and short cuts are hidden and almost impossible to find. When EPIC upgrades come, some of the upgrades are totally useless and unnecessary, like for examples, enhanced colors and little icons. Sometimes there are too many steps and clicks to get form point A to point B.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

The Biggest Tool Used in Healthcare Today!

My overall experience with EPIC has been good after I learned how to use it. While it's definitely not the easiest tool in the world to use, it's without a doubt highly advanced and still great.

Pros

What I really like about EPIC is truly how popular it has become and the way it has become a standardized part of healthcare. Almost every medical facility and hospital use this for patient management and what I really like are that because it's so popular, I can learn EPIC and can expect to continue to use this regardless of which healthcare facility I work in or am I a part of.

Cons

What I dislike about EPIC is that it is definitely not simple to use and there is a lot of learning required. In fact, it is somewhat intense and even required for me to attend multiple days of training sponsored by my workplace to learn how to use this.

IL

Ioan L.

Medical Practice, 10,001+ employees

It works but there is a lot of functionality missing

Pros

I like that there is a wealth of information available. the ability to connect to other epic systems has also helped to integrate care.

Cons

The user interface needs a lot of work and is not intuitive. people have to spend years working with it to get a functional product.

sd

sadia d.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 201-500 employees

Epic EMR

I truly enjoy working with this software. It is a really good and easy software to use it’s user-friendly and has a lot of features and customization which we use at my hospital.

Pros

I use epic to review charts and I also use it as a billing software. We are extremely pleased with how efficient this product is. I have worked with a lot of EMR softwares in the last 10 years and epic is my favorite one. It is efficient, cohesive and has great features like the warnings when something is wrong with a claim.

Cons

There’s a bit too much information when looking at billing accounts if it could be streamlined a bit better it would make things easier to review. But I believe this will be updated with the new version we are about to get.

CB

Charlotte B.

Organized Overview for Patient Care

Pros

This software allows medical professionals to easily track and access patient's charts. They have made multiple improvements since first being launched that have aided in the ease of this software. The patient's charts are broken down into various tabs that allows the provider to easily target what information they are looking for instead of skimming through the entire chart. The user also has the ability to make some changes to their page to allow for an even easier use.

Cons

The updates on this software occasionally seemed unnecessary while other day-to-day changes were needed first. All updates were eventually addressed, it just seems like priority of changes was skewed.

PM

Paul M.

Medical Practice, 10,001+ employees

The best electronic medical records software available

Just an A+ overall!

Pros

I have worked with several different electronic medical record resources through my educational career, but this one champions all the rest. It has an excellent, user friendly interface. It is easy to learn and keeps track of what you do and helps you make daily work and tasks easier. It makes medical practice a joy and the charting and orders writing a breeze. It is a must have for all major medical institutes.

Cons

I honestly just don’t have any complaints with this software. It has only made my patient care better. But if there is anything I’d have to say is that it has a lot of power and it can take some time to learn how to use it to its fullest capacity.

CD

Christina D.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

EPIC makes a great EMR system to be aligned in care everywhere

Personally I would highly recommend the program if you work in Healthcare. It is very simple to use once you are shown how and can actually make many processes easier in the end.

Pros

I have been through 2 EPIC implementations within the same company under 2 different modules. It is very easy to design what you need out of the system and get your info moved into it.

Cons

There are just certain processes or functions that EPIC will not let you customize because it is a core process that will affect other users/companies. A lot of times you have to update your processes and change them to use the system.

AM

Ash M.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

Epic - Great idea, terrible in practice

Difficult and frustrating, as it delays care and charting when it goes down or causes issues due to lack of adjustment that can be done to expand on info or change info

Pros

Useful due to the amount of shared info between hospitals systems and doctors, Makes consistent treatment easier and more accurate

Cons

Too many tabs, too many drop down boxes and limitations to what can be documented, constantly freezing, going down or causing errors