Flex Logo

Web-based rental and inventory management software

Flex Reviews

Suggested alternatives

booqable
rentman
quipli

The best part of the software is the overall show management functionality to it. I like that the software is geared to Rental Stagers and has the ability to integrate gear, labor, and logistics.
Our dislikes are all features. There are just so many features that it is hard to master them all.
Sometimes I'll scroll down a quote, open up some sections, and many times it'll either freeze for a moment or crash and start over.

Fantastic!

It keeps my inventory and billing organized, and the fact that I can have unlimited users is amazing.

Pros

Very easy to use, and accessible anywhere. Being able to log in from any computer makes things super efficient. Also the phone app is awesome for scanning in/out equipment with a rotating team of shop and show people.

Cons

Sometimes it's buggy and the page needs to be reloaded, but I don't see that as a huge issue. It's inconvenient though. I also wish the phone app had more functionality, like being able to do quotes, so my sales team could put together a rough estimate in the field and enter the show into the system while talking with clients.

AH

Aaron H.

Media Production,

Can't beat these features at this price point!

I've used Flex with 2 different companies and have managed the system for both of those companies. The features and functionality can't be beat for the price. It's extremely easy to start using the basic functions and also offers more extensive functionality for the companies that choose to implement them. At it's core, Flex is a rental inventory management software, but it's workflow includes financial...

Pros

-Easy to start using. -It's in the cloud giving you access to all your information from anywhere. -Scanning is easy. -Manages both the financial and the logistical processes of a job. -The price is right compared to a lot of the competition.

Cons

-Currently Flash based, but HTML5 is coming soon as per the time of this post.

Aaron, thanks for the detailed review! We are indeed working on HTML5 - if you'll be at LDI this year, you'll be able to see a demo! We're proud of how far Flex has come since the company started a handful of years ago, and work every day to make Flex by people who know the industry, for people who work every day in the industry. Thanks again!

AL

Andrew L.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

So Many Bugs

Lame as hell. Use Current.

Pros

It works sort of. But it will drive you nuts.

Cons

The software is not intuitive, makes you do things by hand 4094275982792 different times, and then still not work right. The Java based platform is slow and dated. These many bugs and issues simply arent addressed.

Andrew, Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate it, critical or otherwise! For us, improving the features and usability of Flex5 is mission critical, and we're committed to listening to our customers first when it comes to changes and updates. Last year we debuted Flex5, opening access for all active users- since then, we've implemented updates and changes on a regular basis with overview webinars...

KC

Kealan C.

Events Services, 51-200 employees

It’s been a very productive tool for us, overall great software!

Overall, I’m much happier with flex than we were with the previous two offerings. Keep it up!

Pros

It works! (I’m surprised to see how many people have outstanding issues, we have our fair share but they get sorted out fairly promptly). Web based is a winner, do you remember when you couldn’t do this? And yes, I understand the flash debate, it will be wonderful with html5 but flash has worked fine to date. Agree that you get out what you put into this software. We have spent a lot of time customising it, creating specific reports, documents, workflows, inventory suggestions, etc and it’s all paid off. Yes it takes time but I can’t imagine an off the shelf product working adequately in our custom world of production? Allocating times to labour items is great. Helps massively with rostering. There’s lots of positives to say about this, well done flex team!

Cons

The lack of html5 support so far. Also an api would make sense so we can integrate with other relevant platforms / software. To channel a younger me, I’m also going to say; custom colours and ‘themes’, background images, etc. as we end up working on it a lot.

ES

Ellis S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Love This Software

Pros

It has all the features I needed for patient communication we needed in an easy interface.

Cons

It lacks a few integrations of other services.

TM

Tony M.

11-50 employees

Flex has been a great piece of software for our company

Flex has been great, we have been taking steps into utilizing flex more and more. it has been for the most part mostly positive and things have been pulling together quite well for us.

Pros

you can customize it for the most part to your own needs, and you can utilize flex to how it best suits you and to what level you are using it

Cons

Prepping, when you have packages built with Non serialized items it makes very difficult to prep properly when you have to go find where that item got prepped to

Thanks for the review, Tony. We appreciate the comments on how you can customize Flex to your needs and are glad to read that Flex has been helpful for your company. You are welcome to call into our tech team at 801-420-1706 x2. If techs are on the phone and you get directed to voicemail, please leave a voicemail, and we can call you back. Thanks again for the review, we appreciate it!

JK

Jordan K.

11-50 employees

Industry standard, but needs some love

It has all of the quoting, invoicing, inventory management that a production company could use. Fusing flash in 2016 is a little insane, but hopefully Flex 5 is released shortly.

Pros

It has a full feature set and is purpose built to fit the needs of our business.

Cons

Flash, in 2016.... Seriously. Mega lag with scanning and hangs on 5% of barcode scans. 1/20 scans requires click in the 'processing' box or a full refresh of the browser.

Hi Jordan, Thanks for your review and for letting us know about your scanning issue. That is certainly not common and definitely something we want to resolve. Randy connected with you yesterday and provided some recommendations to help with that, and after talking with you today, it sounds like things are as they should be without those lags. We are always happy to help resolve issues when they arise - please do not hesitate to reach out to us at support@flexrentalsolutions.com or 801-420-1706 x 2 for assistance. Thanks again for the review. We're excited with you to show V1 of Flex 5 (HTML5) soon! Stay tuned :)

CV

Cody V.

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

Flex works nearly perfectly with our company

Flex and only Flex runs the entire rental division of our AV company. It's nearly impossible to find any other software that will do everything Flex can.

Pros

Everything can be done in Flex. Inventory, Purchase Orders, Scheduling, Maintenance, ect. It's a very technical software, many features and reports that help us run our business.

Cons

There are various limitations with some of the features. Our company relies heavily on Flex and some elements like scheduling are somewhat limited. Would like to see improvements in Flex 5!

Cody, thank you for the review and for spending some time recommending our software. We love to hear when users say that they run their business using Flex.

Events Services,

Functional, useful, but has its limitations.

Pros

I like that it allows us to rent things from our shop and utilizes a scanner to do it. I also enjoy the fact that we can scan items directly into the containers that we send them out in, and scan them back onto the shelf when it's returned. The serialized numbers do make counting lots of items a breeze.

Cons

It's in flash, and therefore super slow. We have to have a secondary program to get it to interface with quickbooks.

I create Pull Sheets, and Scan gear to them and then create shipping manifest

Pros

I like the how the software organizes and tracks equipment. I like that my crew and gear are in the same pragram.

Cons

That its Flash based. That there is no mobile version. That if I close a tab in my web browser i loose all of the FLEX tabs i had open. I also do not like that gear is either Green or Red. Needs to be a few more colors for additional states that gear my be in.

MZ

Michael Z.

Events Services, 11-50 employees

Not great. Software is buggy, support is largely "figure it out for yourself" or "wait" for Flex5

Since we have not moved forward with full implementation of the inventory bar coding, etc. I don't believe we have derived any substantial benefits...other then alot of time wasted and delays getting customers quotes.

Pros

Whoever designed the feature set and overall capabilities of the system was pretty brilliant. It lets you do almost anything you can imagine to manage your business how you see fit. HOWEVER...see cons below:

Cons

Most of the awesome features and functionality intended are "half baked". They are incomplete, and buggy. The software is extremely slow, taking up to 2 minutes just to add an item to a quote. Software does not do math right. Support team is rude and pushes you to figure it out for yourself. Most bugs and problems cannot be fixed by support because they just tell you they are busy writing Flex 5 and it "may" be fixed in the new version. We think you should not stop fixing bugs in the current version when the new version is largely vaporware. The new Flex 5 is being developed for Mobile and Tablet first...which is ridiculous. No one wants that. We want to sit at our desks and generate quotes quickly without the pain of poor software quality.

BB

Brian B.

Awesome Rental Software!

Business operations have been incredibly organized now that we have this software.

Pros

We love that our company can keep track of our rental inventory , knowing where everything is at the moment needed

Cons

The Accounting feature is nice as it’s works with QuickBooks and other accounting software. But... one thing I wished they would change would be to have the ability for multiple invoices to be paid by one check. You have to go through a process of crediting an account just to do this. Other than easily showing what is owed all by that one customer for a single payment to be made and exported to your accounting software.

RD

Ryan D.

love the functions of it. Sometimes wish it was faster. Cant wait for HTML 5

The ability to manage our inventory and quickly see where we are short. The ability to make larger quotes as our old software was limited to 15 lines.

Pros

It's not our inventory on an excel sheet. It is super helpful in finding shortages and helping to resolve them. Our customer rep. and the team have been fantastic to work with and talk to.

Cons

Learning curve for some of the finer features. Timing of new updates sometimes can seem slow. I wish some of the customization was easier to do without custom programming or learning.

Ryan, thanks for the thoughtful review. We pride ourselves in delivering a great customer experience. Since our software is so customizable, it does take some learning, but we found a lot of our users really benefit from the videos, webinars and other training resources.

RT

Rochane T.

using for 6 years, recently did training course, all permissions now, have control of my own stock.

it is easy to navigate around the software. the customer support is really good and issues are resolved fast. Majority of AV companies are switching over to this software so If I did leave this company there would be a good chance they would be on flex.

Pros

can be accessed anywhere internet is available. most AV companies are using this software now so receiving quotes or invoices has a familiar layout.

Cons

dont like java too slow but i know everything is being switched to HTML5 in the new flex update. :)

Rochane, thank you for the wonderful review and for investing in training. We do find that customers who take time to learn the software are able to optimize its use for their particular way of doing business.

AC

Andy C.

Flex has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it is definitely both powerful.

Pros

In my experience, flex is reliable and diverse in its applications. It does a many different tasks that are important in our industry.

Cons

USER INTERFACE. It appears to me that very little thought was put into the UX aspect of flex. It takes a very long time to be trained in flex. I personally did things the hard way for many months before even realizing that there was another way or a feature that made a task easier. Also: html5.... get it done, please!!!!!

Andy, thanks for the thoughtful review and that you're finding our software powerful and reliable. Check out our website for announcements on Flex5.

JS

James S.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

Not always intuitive, but has loads of helpful modules.

Pros

Ease of access, visual cues for shortages. Also, love the virtual item feature, and the pop stock lists.

Cons

There is no way to prioritize which event has control over inventory. All events draw equally on the same inventory. The result is, you can build an event all the way to pull sheets for the warehouse, and another event added to the system can create shortages in the event that is ready to be pulled.

James, thanks for the detailed and specific review. We're glad you find our modules and features helpful to run your business. If something is not working how you expect, feel free to each out to support.

RN

Rob N.

Flex is very good inventory management software for the entertainment industry

Pros

Multiple users, fairly quick inventory results, good reporting, a large amount of information available to be entered about each product, allowing good tracking

Cons

It does not have a nice graphical interface. I wish it worked with IOS, which I know is coming, but it's about a year so far since they suggested we would have it. I would also like a better crew scheduling module, something way more graphical. I am using Ximble

Rob, thank you for the thoughtful review and that you're finding our software comprehensive in the amount of data you can have about products.

MG

Mike G.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

I think Flex is a powerful tool. I use it for inventory management and to write proposals.

Inventory management is number one for me.

Pros

The ease at which I can build proposals. The accuracy of inventory management. The systems in place to solve conflicts quickly.

Cons

It's very slow. It is frustrating sometimes. Every third time or so I'll drag an item into a proposal and it won't "stick". That's frustrating.

Hi Mike! Thanks for the great review. We're elated you find Flex a powerful tool to manage and grow your business. Our dev team is working to resolve some of the speed issues, but if something is not working how you expect feel free to reach out to support.

DE

Donna E.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Works slow and very complicated when changes are needed

Pros

The ability to copy a quote from year to year. History under each contact. Ability to web connect to QuickBooks

Cons

When there is a change to be made with account, taxing etc... There are so many areas that need to be changed which makes this program not user friendly. Also due to flash it is slow. The total line mute is annoying as it plays in the quote but doesn't follow thru when transferring to QuickBooks and it also still pulls over to the pull sheet.

AG

Andrés G.

My experience with Flex is not very satisfying so far.

Pros

Its potential features. If everything worked smoothly and it had the ability to freely import/export and integrate with external services based on an HTML5 infrastructure, it would be great.

Cons

Flash based, slow, no integrations, old-fashioned, no ability to freely import/export... I think this software should aim to be a proper modern HTML5 based

Hi Andres, thank you for the feedback. I reached out to you via email and hopefully we can make this better by you.

RK

Ryan K.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

My first year using Flex to write jobs has overall been very satisfying.

Ease of use when writing rental quotes and production bids for my customers

Pros

I enjoy the fact that you can customize Flex to meet the specific needs of your shop. I like that it seems to be catered to the events and production industry.

Cons

I wish there was a way to track what changes have been made to jobs and to see which users have made those changes. I also would like to see an "undo" feature implemented at some point.

Hi Ryan, thank you for submitting such a positive review. Your feedback helps us improve our software and inform the future of Flex. Thank you for being part of the Flex family!

Ak

Arteen k.

Entertainment, 201-500 employees

It is a great piece of software for new companies, but cannot keep up with heavy use/needs.

Pros

It's cost allows smaller companies to grow and learn about inventory management, etc before taking the next step into something more robust

Cons

It's speed, it is extremely slow and cannot keep up with the pace of a fast moving business. and does not give you the opportunity to get clients the information they need at the rate of speed that they need it at. It cannot keep up with today's needs.

CF

Casie F.

Hit or miss

Pros

Scheduling between multiple cities much easier and I like the multiple calendar views. Also nice that you can color code

Cons

lots of bugs and no one calls you back when there are issues. When you put in orders it resets in the middle. Also - Still not available on Apple. The Flex Ap has no functionality and was a waste of the money I paid for it. The App is useless

TM

Terry M.

Flex changed the way we do business immediately in a great way! Now everyone is on the same page!

Pros

I really love that we are able to utilize the work flow to allow us to do the quote, the pull sheet, the crew calls, and the invoicing all in one system.

Cons

The calendar is a little difficult to understand at first. Once you get used to its lay out it is not bad. Also the quick books integration was not as seamless as we were led to believe. But once the kinks got worked out it has been great.

Terry, thank you for such a wonderful review and I am so glad that Flex has improved the way you do business and how you communicate with your team.

Events Services, 11-50 employees

Love this program! Easy to use and maintain.

Pros

So many features packed into this software that we didn't have access to with our previous program. So happy we made the switch. Love that it is cloud based, we can access our quotes and inventory from anywhere.

Cons

There are soo many features! but this means it takes a long time to learn the ins and outs of this program.