PowToon Logo

Create animated videos and presentations

PowToon Reviews

Suggested alternatives

wistia
office-timeline
alemira

As reality is like this, the software is one of the best solutions to make nice, creative, up-to-date presentations for school, ads, business information.
They keep finding ways to make it faster and easy to make explainer videos. They have an outstanding library of tools and elements you can use to really create outstanding videos.
It is extremely easy to use and allows me to create amazing videos and presentations for my business. The ready-made templates are very helpful and allow me to create videos that pop.
My biggest complaint (as I mentioned above in Cons) is that the tools are corrupted by the upsell items for Pro. Just don't show me Pro+ features if I've already paid for Pro.
Somewhat exporting function is bit difficult to user. And some features are difficult to understand.
I'm constantly annoyed at the ongoing upsell to Pro.

Mari M.

Sr Technical Course Developer

Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 employees

Almost perfect

Transcript

Mari: Hi, my name is Mari. I'm an instructional designer. And I give PowToon a two out of five. And for...

Geoff B.

VP Marketing

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Great Value Product

Transcript

Geoff: Hi, I'm Geoff. I'm a VP of marketing in the financial services industry, and I'm giving a rating...

ulises m.

Animated, creative and unique videos to develop your ideas

An educator should always be preparing and never stop studying or preparing. That is why whenever I can take a course I do it in this case it was an elearning course and I was presented with this tool and from that moment on every occasion I can use it I develop my videos through it.

Pros

This tool is great since the environment is very friendly which allows us to devote to the development of the video without worrying about technical difficulties, as well as the possibility of inserting characters, templates and emoticons that allow us to draw the attention of the viewer by remembering that from time to time the viewer loses attention is why we have to find that in that moment that loses attention is also part of our explanation.

Cons

This tool has incredible potential to come to shape the ideas in unique and wonderful ways because in addition to having a large repertoire for the help of the video developer has the ability to add all that audiovisual element that we consider the only difficulty is that it is dependent of the Internet and without it you can not work but that reason does not detract from its great potential

gr

giselle r.

Design, 1-10 employees

attractive and professional slides and videos!

I save a lot of time and effort doing slides on this software and looks so professional!

Pros

I don't need to have programming skill to make animations and professional videos, is easy and instinctive to use.

Cons

I wish there were more avatars and more variety of animations and the option to adjust and share at tiktok.

SL

Sitong L.

Banking, self-employed

Used other for less than 6 months

Not respecting customers

I feel this company is fooling customers like me and wasting my money and time. I do not think that customers should pay to a company like this and helps it to survive.

Pros

All the functions and material are easy to use and have high quality. The outcome was great.

Cons

It does not show you what materials and functions are only for the Pro Plan before you complete and go to the purchasing step. I completed my video making, and then I was told that I have to buy to starter plan to export it in MP3 format. I purchased it, and then I was told that I have used some pro stuff, like effects and pictures, in my video. In order to keep them, I have to buy a Pro Plan. Why...

Ayesha J.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Ultimate Animated Video Maker.

This platform is what we consistently implement for animated video material. Even though it has been years, the way it allows us to illustrate a situation or convey a tale is flawless. Only because of this platform did we obtain such positive feedback from our viewers.

Pros

Importing media is simple. The pre-made templates and avatars assist in precisely establishing the context for a decisive result. The interface is simple and ideal for those who are just starting out and wish to make animated material.

Cons

For a large number of projects, the price rises. Aside from the cost issue, I'm pleased with how well everything appears to function.

Jefry N.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Easy Presentations

From my experience with the program I can say that I have not had greater difficulties than to find myself a little disoriented at first, but thanks to its easy use and interactivity, I can learn at once and I can create my video. I would say that I would have difficulty uploading or sharing the video, because there are not enough options or the ones I want are blocked and I must pay. It would be good if the tool would allow you to share those videos over Whatsapp for free.

Pros

It is a simple and easy to use program. The presentations have many details and customization, being a very good point because it allows creating multiple videos and they do not look alike. It offers free and paid tools, also offers different ways to export or publish it; it is good the point and manages to make known the tool and the jobs and that many people can use it, either by paying or for free.

Cons

The program looks very limited at times because they don't have other tools to change the style of their videos with respect to the format, that is, it follows established parameters and does not allow recording videos to be uploaded and edited with the tools already available, but it limits itself to that format already established and in a certain way causes the authors of the videos to be somewhat limited in the subject of creativity.

Karna S.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Makes creating just-in-time learning quick and easy

We've had a great experience with Powtoon, and have continually opted in to be early adopters for their new features. Their customer service is fantastic, and the chat-bot allows you to have your questions answered quickly.

Pros

It has a very low learning curve. Once you know what you are trying to capture, the software is incredibly intuitive at helping you make your content visually appealing to your end users. They also continually make updates that enhance the creator's experience, including additional templates and new functionality.

Cons

There's not really anything to improve- it meets our needs for providing just-in-time learning content. We are able to customize as much or as little as we want, add sound, add proprietary images, and then download in a format that makes it easy to share.

Linda B.

I've been using Powtoon since it was in BETA. I use for both my business and the classroom

Powtoon gave me the ability to create engaging content for my students. I've used it to create lessons in both a brick and mortar classroom as well as for online curriculum. I also use it for content on my Youtube channel.

Pros

A variety of pre-built templates to use or edit. The business version has the most options for characters. It's very easy to do voiceover and export the final product.

Cons

The collaboration function doesn't work properly. This feature is still in BETA, but I'd like to use it like you can collaborate on a Google Slides. Sometimes updates don't save. I'd be sure to click SAVE every time you make a major change, or at least each slide you create.

Linda, thank you for the great review, We are making strides towards upgrading the collaboration feature into something very similar to google docs. In fact we are working on a whole new way to work in teams, share brand assets and powtoons, and work together on the same Powtoon. Stay tuned

Shelly S.

Insurance, 51-200 employees

An amazing video maker

The overall experience of using this software has been excellent. I enjoy making videos with it.

Pros

Powtoon is a great tool for creating animated videos, and I also used it to create informative reels and presentation videos for my organization. The Powtoon tool makes video creation a lot easier for me.

Cons

With this software, we are able to create commendable videos for our clients and different organizations. However, I would say it is a bit pricey, although that's okay considering we can use it to create incredible videos.

Nick A.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Animations Made Easy

Overall, a great addition to the education tech toolbox. Helps turn more basic presentations into something more engaging and interactive. Really supplements traditional presentations.

Pros

Powtoon just seems like one of those apps that was made with education in mind. Students enjoy spending time showing what they know through a more interactive and engaging medium. I know I appreciate its simplicity. This speak volumes in education. The templates come in handy and help you guide your creation/video automated actions/figures/characters.

Cons

There isn't a lot to choose from, which I guess makes sense given its simplicity. I just often find students looking for a tad more that they can do. Not to mention there isn't much you can customize as well. A lot is pre-fab.

Reshma A.

FANTASTIC!

We are able to better communicate about our change process with our teams throughout the world, and that in turn has helped us move forward!

Pros

Everything! I love all the features and have used it extensively for work. Other parts of our global organization are starting to use it too. I started the trend - and now even our Headquarters in Atlanta are using it!

Cons

Would love more culturally appropriate characters - and also the hands that are featured in the 'whiteboard' piece - can we have options to make them not only Caucasian?

Thank you Reshma for your kind review. We have put a lot of emphasis in the last couple of months on character diversity, and in fact in the next few weeks you will see a great improvement on that front with dozens of new characters added.

My favorite presentation software

We make a lot of marketing videos, and this software makes it very easy to throw together a high-quality presentation very quickly, saving time and money in design work.

Pros

This is my go-to presentation creation software, far better than Power-Point slides. It is clear they are constantly improving their platform with new features and updates appearing regularly in the system, and I've watched over the years how the platform has continued to improve. I've not been able to find anything comparable in price and features on the market.

Cons

Occasionally there is a delay in the uploading of content, likely processing time for information to communicate between servers. Also, I wish there were an improvement on the way to render/download a mp4 file. Currently it renders it on the server and sends an email to download. I wish there were just a simple render/download button available on the program.

BK

Binyamin K.

Farming, self-employed

Expected A Lot But Disappointed

If you are somebody who is moderately gifted/skillful in animation or you are committed to the learning curve demanded of Powtoon it is a great, and I could see it as being a really fun, animation marketing platform.

Pros

Using Powtoon a marketer can, at an affordable price, tell the story behind their company and their product in such a way that it comes alive and captivates the viewer. The animation becomes real and pulls the viewer in. It is a well constructed and professional tool. Besides conveying a story in a powerful way, Powtoon also imparts a feeling of professionalism. It shows the viewer that you as a company, as a product creator, cares and takes pride in that which you wish to sell/impart. It sends of message of creativity and above-and-beyond pride in your product.

Cons

Although I will be the first to admit that I am not tech savvy, nevertheless there are many products on the market that are made for people like myself, so much so that people are often amazed at how much tech I'm able to navigate with so little aptitude. However, Powtoon was not one of them. When I first discovered Powtoon I was excited, when I first logged-in to Powtoon I was revved up to start creating....

Ah

Ana h.

Used monthly for 6-12 months

I love how the presentations are, although it is not as fast to learn how to use it as I expected.

what most took advantage of this application was the use of storyboard because I did not have much knowledge in making animations of this type.

Pros

- It has very nice templates and the icons, images and shapes look very modern. - I can use it for free, with some limitations of course. - the elements on the screen are very well organized and have guidelines to correctly place what you want to show. - allows you to share presentations or videos through popular social networks and download them in various formats depending on the type of account,...

Cons

- In spite of the tutorials and help it is not so easy to use it the first time, you have to dedicate a considerable time in learning how to make animations, if you are looking for something to make animated videos quickly this application or is for you. - the free account only allows videos or presentations with a maximum duration of 3 minutes and pro and agency accounts are quite expensive. - he does not have options of collaboration with other people for the edition.

BS

Barbara S.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

its so easy, and ist's fun! Best video animation software for beginners (& pros)

It's hatd to get attention these days! Powtoon is a perfect tool for smaller and medium companies to create social media content or explainer videos without spending too much time and money.

Pros

the variety on styles, the designs, the humour and inspiration they spread!

Cons

Probably that the organisation of the projects is still a bit rudimentary, but there are so many positive aspects, it does'nt really affect the overall positive view.

A new, creative way to do aid presentations

Great for aiding presentations

Pros

PowToon is a great software that one can use to create attractive, creative presentations using cartoon characters. The animations are fun and interesting and the great transitions make it more fun to watch and keeps your audience engaged, A major plus is that the character set is diverse and there are a lot to choose from. There is also lot of support and tutorials online for users to learn from.

Cons

Lovely software, but one of the cons that I encountered was that when my projects got too large, its seems to use a lot of CPU power because my computer lags. Another con, for those user who love freebies, the free version has a lot of restrictions.

JC

Jen C.

Education Management, self-employed

Fantastic - has helped me connect with customers in an awesome format!

Create products that I can sell that are really fun to create!

Pros

My customers are school parents and the cartoon options really grab their attention. I love telling stories through pictures and find it so much easier to put a presentation together on powtoon than any other presentation tool I've used or to write long text.

Cons

It's at the top of my budget limit. But the features are all fantastic and they keep rolling out new ones (like square format and mobile optimized) that help me expand my product offerings.

Hanaa I.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

The best video creating software for beginner!

It is one of the best investments we have made. It is very convenient and a good platform to training as well.

Pros

Very convenient and easy to use. The features help us put our creativity into action with little effort. From explainer to animation, you have pre-set templates you can use. There is an array of music to choose from too. You can put together a decent video within a couple of hours.

Cons

Rendering for larger videos take a very long time, but it is quite usual in most platforms.

Vikash G.

Marketing and Advertising, 5,001-10,000 employees

Amazing online 2d marketing video maker

Powtoon makes amazing movies and presentations rapidly. Its simple interface and many choices make it perfect for beginners in video and graphic design. Its versatility and cost make it a good choice for video and presentation creation, despite its lack of advanced capabilities.

Pros

I even without video or graphic design knowledge, Powtoon makes video and presentation creation simple. I may start quickly with its simple interface and tutorials. Powtoon gives me many themes, animations, pictures, and sound effects to create unique films and presentations. The software lets me add images, text, audio, and more to my projects.

Cons

Powtoon lacks 3D transitions, better text animations, and advanced audio editing. For major video and presentation creators, Powtoon might be expensive.

Higher Education, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Quickly Create Pretty Videos!

Pros

Aside from the obvious reason that PowToon is FREE, I also like that you can create a professional-looking video without all of the headache of learning an in-depth software program. PowToon has several templates to choose from and you can just edit your information/content into the project easily.

Cons

It's a little annoying that you cannot sort through the templates (free vs. paid) and can only see ALL. You think you like a template and it turns out to be a paid upgrade. If you use PowToon enough, you will start to notice other videos/users that use PowToon and that kind of dilutes the quality. You start to see the same recycled template over and over.

AK

Adel K.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Worth the investment, just a couple of functions needed

I've been using Powtoon business since 2015, very satisfied with the product except for the mentioned cons above. Anyone with a basic knowledge about video editing can use it, the platform is straight forward, pick an animation template, and start editing it or create your own from scratch.

Pros

-If you are used to any video software, Powtoon will be easy for you to use. -A good library of scenes, props, sounds, text, sounds, shapes images... -Export rendering time takes a couple of minutes. -Good support: I just used it twice but the answers were fast and clear. -Good pricing.

Cons

-No sound time line: if we insert a sound/music it plays on all the animation! -The animation templates library is not often updated. -The whole platform can be better: here, I'am talking about the navigation between the sections of the sites, for exemple, even as a paid member and connected to the account, I still see the pricing table and the front page etc, a bit confusing at first, but that's not a big deal.

RS

Ron S.

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

Used other for less than 6 months

Caveat Emptor!

Caveat Emptor! I made a simple proof-of-concept video after signing up for a Powtoon education plan and inadvertently included a “special” feature. Though it was very clearly stated in the Terms & Conditions, and it’s my fault for not grasping that nuance, once I exported this silly little video, I was not able to request a refund even though it was only a day later. ** I was totally in the wrong....

Pros

It looked like a cost-effective solution to a situation I faced at work during the sudden shift to e-learning during the Spring 2020 COVID19 pandemic.

Cons

Read the fine print. Especially if you're just experimenting or using your own money.

JB

Jessica B.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Fantastic Support

Pros

It is really easy to use! I can use it for anything: in my work, in my personal life ...

Cons

I love this software! There is nothing I would change about this software!

JB

Jacki B.

Legal Services, 501-1,000 employees

Intro to Video Design

Pros

Powtoon makes editing videos easy & for simple designs/animations, it’s the best program I have used. It is a very user-friendly program and offers enough features to keep videos interesting. My company does not make more than 2 videos a month, so Powtoon is perfect for occasional use.

Cons

The website glitches a lot, at least once a month my coworkers or I have issues with the site loading. When it works, it’s great, but it is very glitchy. Another thing that isn’t great about PowToon is that it is hard to move items around on the page, there are no guides to make sure you are centered.

OE

Omima E.

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

PowToon review

Pros

I can create my own lesson easy and made my own video or make animation to make the lesson interactive . I can found some resource from the app. and got some ideas to my lesson. I can used the audio to help my students to make practice to speak and listening very well. engaged my students during the class.

Cons

lack of variety in characters. limited animations. lack of support for video files.

Easy way to make engaging presentation

This has completely changed the boring power point - our presentations are now fun.

Pros

This beats powerpoint by far! We can create fun, engaging presentations for students, work presentations, etc with templates or from scratch, but Powtoon always has enough fun assets to make it playful and engaging.

Cons

It would be nice if you could download the presentation files directly instead of waiting for it to process and send a download link to your email.