Powtoon Reviews

Powtoon

Create animated videos and presentations

Review Summary

Pros

Overall, this site is amazing and has cool tools to use to create each ad that I want to create. It works smooth and I love how I can go through the site without complications.

Hanah S.

I loved the images and all the animation available through this software. It made educational presentations fun and interesting for students.

Tara A.

Randy Y.

This program edits your description and tags without your knowledge before you upload the video. Terrible Customer Service.

Estefania T.

At times, it can be slow but I mostly blame that on our organization's network.

Chris R.

Interactive Animated Presentations

Interactive storytelling in presentations took shorter time than before.

Pros

Powtoon is simple, interactive and provides all basic functions for motion graphics to be used as a presentation.

Cons

It's web-based to due which browser got very heavy when working on larger projects.

Powtoons is Amazing

I have created dozens of videos for internal comms, advertising, recruiting and training. It has made my life so easy and with great reward and outcome.

Pros

This is a super simple app to create fun and vibrant communications pieces either with cartoons or video.

Cons

I think customer service could be much better. I don't think I've ever gotten ahold of a live person.

Not really useful unless you go Pro+

It's really easy to quickly create something that's, let's be honest, kind of corny, but for many situations that's fine. The tools are a joy to use and you can add your own artwork so you aren't really that limited. My biggest complaint (as I mentioned above in Cons) is that the tools are corrupted by the upsell items for Pro+. Just don't show me Pro+ features if I've already paid for Pro. Or at least give me a way to turn them off. Find another way to upsell.

Pros

Seriously easy to use. Using a template with its own audio, I was amazed at how smoothly the audio adjusted as you changed slide lengths. The tools are intuitive and things [transitions, modifications, adding/removing time, etc.] that are difficult in a lot of video editing packages are simple. There may be fewer features to tweak but in some ways that what makes it so easy to use. I like that you can add your own graphics - this makes it a powerful base if you want to deviate from the more cutesy look that's provided by default.

Cons

I'm constantly annoyed at the ongoing upsell to Pro+. I'm tricked into being disappointed at every turn. Choices of characters, items, templates, etc are shown but often it's not until you click on them that you discover they are only available to Pro+ plans. In a grid of possible templates, there were 54 Pro+ I couldn't use - I had to scroll over each one to discover they were Pro+. I asked Support if there was a way to hide the features that I couldn't access (turn off all Pro+) but they said no. Paying over $200 for Pro seems like a lot these days and I would be more satisfied with my purchase if I weren't constantly shown all the things I can't get with that money.

Powtoon

Not great they say they would be creating new content and we have had the service for 6 months with absolutely no content updates

Pros

You can put multiple layers of text on one slide and customize where it will show up.

Cons

They have absolutely zero content. They say they have marketing videos but they are only 10 seconds long and random. We no longer use this software.

A Fun and Creative Way to Make Impactful Explainer Videos

Overall, it's a well-run company and the support is excellent. It's a fun product to learn and use and it really allows you to be quite creative in your presentations.

Pros

They're continually evolving their product and that's what makes it so great. They keep finding ways to make it faster and easy to make explainer videos. They have an outstanding library of tools and elements you can use to really create outstanding videos. They have excellent templates to start with so you don't have to start with just a blank design canvas. Their support team is outstanding -- definitely one of the best that I've dealt with.

Cons

Since I don't use it daily, as I do with other apps, sometimes it takes a while to remember how to do things. You can't always find the design elements you need. It can get quite expensive if you want access to more monthly exports, storage, and customization options.

Very Good Animation Software

I reaaly like this software and using for create good promotionals campaigns for may customers.

Pros

Easy to use for very good quality job results.

Cons

The characters don't have a 'walk' animation as option ...

If you want easy animation software for presentations look no further!!

Excellent!! creating meaningful videos that are young people friendly has been so much easier with this software.

Pros

This has been a recent addition to us, we came across it by accident looking for new characters for our powerpoint videos. This software has everything prepared and ready to go, with any type of animated creation it still takes time but having all the tools built-in ready and to hand saves a lot of time and frustration. Creating mini-presentations for young people has been a lot easier since we signed up.

Cons

The only con I have is that there could be more ethnic characters, this can be a little limiting for us as most of our client base are ethnic we like to use characters that look like them.

Had to make a video for a presentation and loved using powtoon

All in all it was a very positive experience and I hope to use the platform again

Pros

I had to create a interactive video for a presentation and someone on the design team suggested using powtoon. I am so glad I did it was a free trial but offered so many features and was so easy to use!

Cons

In general making videos is difficult and requires a lot of time. The site was easy to use but still took me a very long time to create what I needed to make

Great Value Product

Really helpful and very versatile. We had a great deal which made it a no brainer.

Pros

I like that it has lots of built in templates I can use as starters. I really like the explainer video templates. I use this for marketing, social media, paid campaigns, and internal customer support training.

Cons

I wish I could apply branding colors to a template without having to change every element. Then I could flip templates into production-ready products that much faster.

Easy enough to produce videos

Overall it's a fairly easy way to produce nice videos.

Pros

Without learning videography or anything like that, you can easily product smart videos that bring across your point well.

Cons

There was a pretty steep learning curve, and it could take a long time to get everything to work the way you want it to. I would like to see more flexibility with creating shapes the sizes you want rather than having to stick with the given aspect ratio.

Great Features and Easy to Use

Overall, I am satisfied with this tool. It has some minor issues, but none of those issues are deal breakers for me.

Pros

Easy to Start: It only takes me ~20 min to gain basic proficiency and ~60 min to gain advanced proficiency. Time-Saving Templates: It has several templates ready to be used, which saves time. Beautiful built-in assets: Animated avatars, objects, short videos, graphics, audios, etc. Basically anything you could possibly want in a multimedia product--PowToon has it already built-in. Ease of Future Maintenance/Update: The way Powtoon's interface is designed allows for ease of future edits. You can easily swap in/out vectors/audio/texts if your video ever needs an update in the future.

Cons

Minor Glitch: Sometimes, objects (vectors, geometric shapes) would move to the wrong place by mouse drags. This is more of a minor nuisance than a real problem. Lack of Audio Editing Feature: It has very little audio-editing capability. Because it has a built-in voice-over recording feature, this feature would be more useful if audio editing ability can be available.

Fun and easy to use

I am an instructional designer/developer and I use PowToon as part of eLearning courses and to communicate changes to end users. The premade templates make PowToon really easy to use. I find a look I like then modify with my content. Each template has its own music but I may upload my own music and upload images to personalize the video even more. If I have a question, I can chat directly with...

Pros

Easy to use, fun. Produces very professional looking videos.

Cons

It is difficult to select objects and edit if they overlap. I would like to be able to add tags to the images so I could easily find those I want to use multiple times. When changing the sizes of objects, both the width and height change proportionately. It would be good to be able to change just one, especially boxes.

My favorite presentation software

We make a lot of marketing videos, and this software makes it very easy to throw together a high-quality presentation very quickly, saving time and money in design work.

Pros

This is my go-to presentation creation software, far better than Power-Point slides. It is clear they are constantly improving their platform with new features and updates appearing regularly in the system, and I've watched over the years how the platform has continued to improve. I've not been able to find anything comparable in price and features on the market.

Cons

Occasionally there is a delay in the uploading of content, likely processing time for information to communicate between servers. Also, I wish there were an improvement on the way to render/download a mp4 file. Currently it renders it on the server and sends an email to download. I wish there were just a simple render/download button available on the program.

Easy Presentations

From my experience with the program I can say that I have not had greater difficulties than to find myself a little disoriented at first, but thanks to its easy use and interactivity, I can learn at once and I can create my video. I would say that I would have difficulty uploading or sharing the video, because there are not enough options or the ones I want are blocked and I must pay. It would be good if the tool would allow you to share those videos over Whatsapp for free.

Pros

It is a simple and easy to use program. The presentations have many details and customization, being a very good point because it allows creating multiple videos and they do not look alike. It offers free and paid tools, also offers different ways to export or publish it; it is good the point and manages to make known the tool and the jobs and that many people can use it, either by paying or for free.

Cons

The program looks very limited at times because they don't have other tools to change the style of their videos with respect to the format, that is, it follows established parameters and does not allow recording videos to be uploaded and edited with the tools already available, but it limits itself to that format already established and in a certain way causes the authors of the videos to be somewhat limited in the subject of creativity.

Expected A Lot But Disappointed

If you are somebody who is moderately gifted/skillful in animation or you are committed to the learning curve demanded of Powtoon it is a great, and I could see it as being a really fun, animation marketing platform.

Pros

Using Powtoon a marketer can, at an affordable price, tell the story behind their company and their product in such a way that it comes alive and captivates the viewer. The animation becomes real and pulls the viewer in. It is a well constructed and professional tool. Besides conveying a story in a powerful way, Powtoon also imparts a feeling of professionalism. It shows the viewer that you as a company, as a product creator, cares and takes pride in that which you wish to sell/impart. It sends of message of creativity and above-and-beyond pride in your product.

Cons

Although I will be the first to admit that I am not tech savvy, nevertheless there are many products on the market that are made for people like myself, so much so that people are often amazed at how much tech I'm able to navigate with so little aptitude. However, Powtoon was not one of them. When I first discovered Powtoon I was excited, when I first logged-in to Powtoon I was revved up to start creating....

Great to use

Pros

Being a graphic designer, I use this for animated videos & presentations almost everyday. powtoon has so many templates & animation effects which make it very useful to make quick videos. I love this software because it has a clean interface. Colors & design are very user friendly . I would recommend this product to everyone who wants to make animated videos & presentations.

Cons

The hardest part of this product is it sometimes takes way too much time to upload images & add videos to timeline. This is a heavy product, which hangs alot, that makes it very irritating at times. One thing I want in this product is options to arrange the saved files in folders or as we want because the minus point is when we mistakenly open a file it comes to number one which bothers the order of the files & makes it difficult to keep a check.

Making presentations fun

I used Powtoon for many school presentations where the assignment was to make ad campaigns or short promos. Yes, Powtoon can make a presentation exciting enough to look like a commercial. I LOVE this software. It’s so usable and full of many features. It is handy for so many purposes and will certainly do the trick if you’re not interested in researching clunkier software with a bigger learning curve.

Pros

Having photos and icons that can move and appear on a timer is my favorite thing about Powtoon. This simple feature allows me to make my presentations way more interactive and entertaining. Searching or uploading images is super easy and Powtoon has a great database of basic graphics. Adding music is also incredibly easy to do.

Cons

Powtoon is not the place for detailed voiceovers. There’s really only an option to add one single audio file and when you’re working with many different slides, that can get pretty complicated. The big “Powtoon” logo in the bottom corner of the presentation also totally takes away from a professional look.

Animated, creative and unique videos to develop your ideas

An educator should always be preparing and never stop studying or preparing. That is why whenever I can take a course I do it in this case it was an elearning course and I was presented with this tool and from that moment on every occasion I can use it I develop my videos through it.

Pros

This tool is great since the environment is very friendly which allows us to devote to the development of the video without worrying about technical difficulties, as well as the possibility of inserting characters, templates and emoticons that allow us to draw the attention of the viewer by remembering that from time to time the viewer loses attention is why we have to find that in that moment that loses attention is also part of our explanation.

Cons

This tool has incredible potential to come to shape the ideas in unique and wonderful ways because in addition to having a large repertoire for the help of the video developer has the ability to add all that audiovisual element that we consider the only difficulty is that it is dependent of the Internet and without it you can not work but that reason does not detract from its great potential

Makes creating just-in-time learning quick and easy

We've had a great experience with Powtoon, and have continually opted in to be early adopters for their new features. Their customer service is fantastic, and the chat-bot allows you to have your questions answered quickly.

Pros

It has a very low learning curve. Once you know what you are trying to capture, the software is incredibly intuitive at helping you make your content visually appealing to your end users. They also continually make updates that enhance the creator's experience, including additional templates and new functionality.

Cons

There's not really anything to improve- it meets our needs for providing just-in-time learning content. We are able to customize as much or as little as we want, add sound, add proprietary images, and then download in a format that makes it easy to share.

Quick and dirty explainer in an afternoon

Pros

My assistant was able to make some pretty cool videos very quickly, despite limited technical experience with video creation. The tool presents a variety of diverse characters with stock animations for different moods or actions (e.g., explaining, gesturing angrily, looking bored). The audio recording tool allows you to retry if you're unhappy with a take, and was reasonably painless to use. The animations were simple to string together but more visually interesting than what you can produce in PowerPoint. We created a lesson plan for instructors to use where the learners responded using PowToon projects, and these were a hit. It gives them an alternative way to communicate their ideas and again, is quite easy to use.

Cons

We were not using the pro version of the tool, so we were limited in access to characters, scenes and icons. That said, the free version provided a very smooth experience. If you do not upgrade, there will be a PowToon logo and music appended to your video, and some animations will have limited customizability (e.g., a character animation may loop ad nauseum). It is also easy for a junior designer to get caught up in the capabilities of the tool and lose focus on the quality and structure of the content. It's easy to add too much irrelevant on-screen animation and so detract from your message.

I've been using Powtoon since it was in BETA. I use for both my business and the classroom

Powtoon gave me the ability to create engaging content for my students. I've used it to create lessons in both a brick and mortar classroom as well as for online curriculum. I also use it for content on my Youtube channel.

Pros

A variety of pre-built templates to use or edit. The business version has the most options for characters. It's very easy to do voiceover and export the final product.

Cons

The collaboration function doesn't work properly. This feature is still in BETA, but I'd like to use it like you can collaborate on a Google Slides. Sometimes updates don't save. I'd be sure to click SAVE every time you make a major change, or at least each slide you create.

Linda, thank you for the great review, We are making strides towards upgrading the collaboration feature into something very similar to google docs. In fact we are working on a whole new way to work in teams, share brand assets and powtoons, and work together on the same Powtoon. Stay tuned

Once you get the hang of it!

Pros

The resources are constantly evolving - it's like i have a new bag of tricks every time I go to design with it. New layouts, fonts, images, etc. make everything really fun to use and fun for my clients to engage with. It is an easy way to inexpensively produce microlearning - added bonus that its visible without an LMS and can be used on the go. If you are experienced in Adobe Captivate, this design format would be very similar to the layers found in eLearning design - only in video layout.

Cons

I dont like the levels of access they make available. If you pay for it, you should have access to everything. Or, if it's not available for my level, dont put it in my design resources toolbox. I use something in a project only to learn that it's not available to me unless i go "pro".

I love how the presentations are, although it is not as fast to learn how to use it as I expected.

what most took advantage of this application was the use of storyboard because I did not have much knowledge in making animations of this type.

Pros

- It has very nice templates and the icons, images and shapes look very modern. - I can use it for free, with some limitations of course. - the elements on the screen are very well organized and have guidelines to correctly place what you want to show. - allows you to share presentations or videos through popular social networks and download them in various formats depending on the type of account,...

Cons

- In spite of the tutorials and help it is not so easy to use it the first time, you have to dedicate a considerable time in learning how to make animations, if you are looking for something to make animated videos quickly this application or is for you. - the free account only allows videos or presentations with a maximum duration of 3 minutes and pro and agency accounts are quite expensive. - he does not have options of collaboration with other people for the edition.

Great tool for schools!

Our overall experience has been very positive. It was well worth it to buy a school license because multiple grades of students use it.

Pros

I am the director of educational technology at a private school but I also teach a few technology classes. This is a GREAT tool for students that has a wide age range. I had younger students film basic animated films of their choosing. Middle school students used it to make stop motion animated films and older students used some of the more advanced animation features. The templates are also very helpful for kids who don't know where to start.

Cons

This really is a great service. You need the pro account to be able to export your work and have access to all of the features you'd need to make a quality video but I think it's worth it!

Powtoon review

Reviewed a day ago

I started to use it 4 years ago and the platform has changed quite a lot. In beginning it was very customer friendly because it was very easy to understand, but now it is still very good, but also very complex and takes some time to understand whole interface.

Pros

I liked very creative tools to make presentations appear interactive and interesting to audience. By using Powtoon it is very easy to make yourself stand out and be remarkable. I very enjoy different options for animations and highlt customisable time grid.

Cons

I felt that using free trial version it is very hard to enjoy at least a few features platform offers. Platform is really persistent to users to pay for subscription and therefore increase amount of different tools available. This platform is also really demanding for your CPU and you have to be careful not to overheat your computer.