Shift Reviews

Shift

Desktop app for managing your accounts, apps, and workflows.

Shift

Review Summary

Pros

Overall we're very happy with Shift and I can't see myself not using it. It's a simple but effective tool to consolidate your desktop and make you extremely focused on the important things.

Josh L.

Will R.

I find it very useful and helpful in keeping my work portals organized and accessible. There are a few small things I'd like tweaked or added but overall I enjoy having it.

CIERA H.

Christopher L.

Ryan C.

Additionally, the slow opening, my inability to copy/paste with my mouse in Google Doc or Sheets is BEYOND frustrating.

Stanton S.

Keeps My Browser Windows Under Control

Shift helps me keep organized, both personally and professionally, and allows me to go back and forth between applications without losing my mind.

Pros

I'm the type of person who tends to have multiple browser windows open, and Shift helps me stay organized and keep the number of browser windows open under control. I use it daily to check my many email and social media accounts, to chat via multiple message apps, to keep track of my personal and professional calendars, and to attend to basic business and even personal tasks right there in the same browser, from Trello to my home budgeting software. It keeps everything all in one place and prevents me from losing my mind. When I see colleagues struggling to find the right tab in a sea of many browser windows, I always suggest Shift as a way to help them keep their browser windows under control as well!

Cons

I have noticed that at times the software can be a bit laggy. When I know I need to do intensive work, say in Google Docs or something, I will open the document in the default browser in order to prevent a delay. This is not usually a problem with basic email, messaging, or other simple tasks.

Love your Product, Except

I do not need to have multiple applications open to find out what is going on, Social Media, Email, internal SLACK, School applications, webhooks, git hub all in one location means that I have only a single

Pros

Ease of use, simple. I love having all my social media sites, emails, Cloud Locations in one place. The add-ons for all the tabs really helps. I like that I do not have to have all my browser windows open.

Cons

At the start before the update in July 2019, MS Teams worked really well. NOW, it does not work and locks up the application completely, to the point that I have no choice but to remove it from my shift. The lack of 64 Client is also an issue, I am sure with an i9 CPU processor the use of more than a 32-bit application has its limitations. But, I wish it would use more of the active CPU usage so that I can utilize this.

Thank you for the review! We're very happy to hear you love having multiple apps in one location in Shift. Are you still having an issue with MS Teams? If so, our support team would love to hear from you: https://support.tryshift.com/new.

The Concept is Great, Quite a Few Bugs

Overall, the value of Shift is outweight the cons. I hope they remedy the MacBook usage dilemma because it often slows my computer down.

Pros

I manage a dozen or so email addresses and Shift does a great job with letting me access all of the accounts in one space. A couple of years ago, we sent a request for Shift to integrate with Lastpass and they integrated with it pretty quickly, which is helpful with password management of all of the accounts I juggle. I also love that Google Drive and Calendar work well right there in the platform very well.

Cons

Shift is quite buggy. It freezes often and takes up a lot of CPU memory on my MacBook. It often makes my fan start spinning quickly to cool my MacBook down. Microsoft Outlook doesn't work as well as Gmail accounts, so I still use a browser for Outlook. I like that it integrates with Dropbox so you can save email attachments in a Dropbox folder right in the app. However, in my experience, several documents...

Beautiful concept; execution needs work

Pros

LOVE that it allows me to shift (get it?) between apps and accounts without changing windows. The integration with G-Suite is helpful since I manage multiple email accounts but generally use Drive with only one (this sort of arrangement frequently causes authentication issues when implemented in a browser)--so I am able to swap between email accounts while working on a spreadsheet in my "master" account. Adore the integration with apps like WhatsApp, Slack and HootSuite--it's like having my very own personalized terminal with all of the solutions I need to get my work done efficiently. I also like that I can rearrange the stack of accounts and apps to suit my workflow.

Cons

This software is buggy as hell. I frequently have to re-authenticate my Gmail accounts as well as apps like HubSpot, HootSuite and WhatsApp (for some reason, Slack is pretty much the only app I have noticed that does not require me to regularly re-enter my credentials). I wouldn't mind this all that much, except for the fact that Slack does not seem to talk to Apple's Keychain, so I end up having to...

Shift is a time saver and a life saver

I have used the paid version for years. It is fantastic. Everything I use all day in one central location. No more open tabs and jumping between tabs or apps. Simple and elegant!

Pros

Shift allows me to get more done in my day and has helped me to increase my productivity. It is well thought out and so easy to use and deploy.

Cons

To be honest, I don't have a feature I don't like.

Simple, Effective, and Worth Every Penny!

Gosh, where to begin. I loved the software the minute I watched the promo. Thought it was too good to be true, then tried the free version and then fell in love and invested in the pro version - BEST MONEY SPENT. Been using it ever since I found it in early July. GREAT feature and keeps me focused and productive. LOVE LOVE LOVE the software!

Pros

I love how it cuts down on my CPU usage. Chrome takes lots of memory and Shift seems to do the job with 1/3 of the power. I love how I can have my Whatsup, text messages, and emails all in one spot. LOVE IT!

Cons

I would love if we can have the mute notification for longer than 24 hrs and also enable that on more than just the email.

Thank you for the review! We're happy to hear that you love Shift. It is possible to mute notifications for up to 99 hours and 99 minutes and it is possible to mute notifications for mail, calendar and apps. If you're still having these issues, please feel free to create a support ticket (https://support.tryshift.com/new) and have our team solve this for you.

Sign-In Issues

Pros

I have four business accounts I can see at once, switch between calendars and files, and get notifications all in one place. I hated having multiple windows open in my browser and having to switch between tabs.

Cons

I am having to sign-in to my accounts and authorize shift to access my info too frequently. I don't have to do it this often online. Once approved, shouldn't Shift be recognized by Google?

A Company that Knows Where It's Going

In my opinion $100 per year is negligible to be able to search across all your work platforms and re-organize your work environment. That said, some readers may not have money to blow in which case Shift is not for them. If you are looking for a free option that consolidates email and apps, don't despair. There are apps like Franz and Rambox to name but a few. These apps are similar to Shift in many ways but offer more options in terms of their free versions. If you are professional willing to invest in an app that may well save you time and money in the long run, then this might be a perfect fit.

Pros

According to their website, "Shift is the desktop app for streamlining your accounts, apps, and workflows." and if you watch a tutorial video you'll see it does exactly that. On the free version you can add two email accounts and 1 app account. Thus, the free version is ideal for someone who only has two Google accounts but still wants to consolidate things. The pro version costs less than 100 dollars;...

Cons

The only con is that some people, like me for instance, might fail to notice the fine print and think they're getting all the pro features for free. The free version doesn't offer anything that most mail clients can't already do. As such, it seems like the free version only exists as a means to tempt the user into buying the pro version where things really happen.

No support for Google 2-factor authentication (2FA) makes it useless

There's no indication that they're even trying to solve the 2FA problem. And no customer support team to reach out to, to even ask for a refund for the past month when I've been mostly unable to use it. Trying leaving a review to get some kind of attention

Pros

I really liked Shift when I first got it. It worked as advertised (with minor bugs) and I was happy to share with friends. Nice that tabs never close, although they do sign out weirdly frequently and there's no autofill to quickly log back in. Those problems aside, it improved my workflow having all my essential tabs in one place, so much that I became over-reliant on it...

Cons

When my company switched to 2-factor authentication, this app that I paid for became completely useless. It never sends a notification to my phone when I try and sign in, and goes to a 404 when I select "try another method." Have sent multiple "feedback forms" over the past month or two to deaf ears. Now I'm in this weird place where I still have some apps in Shift and some in Chrome... it's probably worse workflow-wise than before.

best software for multiple platforms

Overall, I love Shift and highly recommend it to anyone with multiple email accounts or communication platforms.

Pros

Shift is amazing for keeping track of multiple email accounts in a way that is organized and streamlined. I love being able to search all of my accounts at once, as well as jump between accounts easily.

Cons

I wish I could split the window into half one email account and the other half a different email account.

IMAP E-Mail System Would Be The Cherry On Top

Overall the experience has been very beneficial to the productivity of our operation and simplification of the many different accounts and applications that we have to use with our variety of clientele.

Pros

The ability to switch between so many Google accounts and additional applications has saved me countless hours, at this point probably days worth of time, allowing me to become far more efficient and effective with my consulting firm.

Cons

As a consulting firm we will be assigned e-mail accounts within a clients domain for short periods of time during our contracts that are not always a gmail based e-mail account, but just IMAP accounts. We currently use Spark as our e-mail client and it's frustrating that the only option within Shift to manage multiple non-gmail accounts is to pay for another subscription model, instead of being able...

Overall Shift has been perfect

I rate this software a B+ / A grade essentially. I am very happy. I have not added in a ton of applications such as evernote, and zoho. I really am just happy with the email aspect part of my day to day.

Pros

I have 5 total emails. 2 of them are office 365. You may ask, why 6. We we are a company that develops strategic relationships with other Marketing Agencies, and we are required part of a white label to communicate part of other teams. Having multiple emails is a crucial part of our operations. Originally I used Kiwi, but Kiwi only supports Gmail / Gsuite accounts. 3 years ago I had everything in outlook,...

Cons

The only issue I see and experience is sometimes having 6 accounts in Shift my emails are about 30 seconds to 60 seconds delaying incoming. Not the end of the world. The other issue, is about 2 times a weeks one or all of the accounts prompt me to re-authenticate. A little bit of a pain, but not a deal breaker.

My New Dashboard for Everything

I started out looking for a solution that would let me run multiple Gmail accounts without having to log out of one to log in to another. Shift did exactly what I was looking for.... and more. Simply by clicking an account icon, I could switch between Google accounts and have full access to ALL services in that Google account. Pretty soon, I was using Shift as my primary email client. Then I...

Pros

- intuitive, simple user interface - ability to control multiple accounts in multiple apps without signing in and out - seamless integration with Google mail, drive and other services - ability to add practically any app that I might use - works on both my WIndows and Mac devices

Cons

- would like a little more flexibility to customize the gmail interface - have had a couple of issues with newer upgrades not working with my older MacOS

Shift Review- Nice but room for improvement

Overall it has been used daily so it has to be pretty good. I experienced some bugs in browsing on the reddit extension and customer service was helpful and prompt but it still doesnt handle tons of loaded content as well as a browser.

Pros

Nice to have a place separate than browser to keep primary correspondence/instant messaging apps... both because it means that my browser does not need to be logged in and because I don't have to log into individual accounts. I like that you have the ability to open links externally and that apps maintain full functionality within the tool.

Cons

Some of these are particular to me, but I will start with the general stuff: - Design related... Would be nice to have a bit more customization around themes/colors/size of tabs/placement of tabs. Also the "+" button under the email accounts is a bit distracting and not necessary since I don't often add new email accounts, and often click on it accidentally. Also would be nice to be able to order...

Shift is an amazing time saver!

I own a recording studio and I also run an artist management and consulting company. So I generally have a ton of emails that I have to keep up with as well as utilize a lot of applications and plugins with them like Hubspot and Grammarly and a ton of other programs like Gchat, asana, Buffer, Slack and a ton of others. So being able to see everything at a quick glace has been an enormous time-saver...

Pros

I love that it allows me to have all of my emails and main applications that I use on a daily basis right there in one easy window where I can easily see any notifications. Giving me that quick glance of everything saves me a ton of time. I really love the all email search feature. Running a few businesses makes it hard sometimes to remember which email sent which item so that helps me track stuff down very quickly.

Cons

I know at least for me. Running a MacBook on 10.13.6 with great specs, it still seems to be a heavy resource hog. But I am using a ton of the applications and integrations with it. It does tend to log me out of several of my email account every few days for some reason. But I am unsure if that is a specific Shift thing or something to do with Gmail.

Work Every Penny!

Shift helps me just jump into whatever I need, FAST. At any given moment as a small business owner who has at least 20 different things going at once Shift helps me get it done. I could go on and on about the individual uses I get out of Shift. When you run everything on your own you need all the help you can get.

Pros

It's all right there. No opening and accidentally closing browser tabs, no hunting down bookmarks or even wasting a few second typing the beginning of a website to get where you need to be. I manage multiple email accounts and use several different applications to communicate with clients and manage my business. Time is something I can never get more of so when it comes to tools and saving time even as a small business owner Shift is extremely valuable to me. Between the extensive collection of apps and browser extensions, everything is right at my fingertips. Just a few seconds can really add up over a day/month/year... It's worth EVERY single penny to me!

Cons

I don't have many complaints about Shift except the short lag getting notifications through my Gmail accounts. I will get a ding on my phone before I get a ding in Shift. It's minor but that is the only thing I can think of that really would be anything annoying.

SHIFTed to the Next Level

I work with many different clients as a Youth Leadership Education Coach, this means balancing many different GMail accounts. I need them to stay seperate, but access them individually quickly. Shift helps me do that. There are at least six additional applications that I work in every day to manage projects, schedule, documents, finances, etc. All of those are connected within one dashboard by Shift. Having it all in one place helps me stay away from YouTube and other social media (though you can connect those applications to!). I truly feel that my work has elevated because of this tool.

Pros

I LOVE SHIFT! Given me ease & convenience of having my many email accounts be in one place Ability to connect my email and project management tools Navigated the distractions of web browsers, it was too easy to wander over to social media/amazon. Now I can have it within the one tool - including links to google docs/dropbox documents It really has helped me elevate my efficiency and time management so that I can get more done.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything that hold me back because of this tool. Perhaps allowing me to change the background color of the application tiles? I know I can change the color that shows when I hover over the tool but being able to see that color before hovering/clicking could be helpful.

Shift has optimized my life!

Overall, my experience has been incredibly positive. I am looking forward to starting my second year with the membership and fully maximizing the increased efficiency. My peers marvel at how I am able to balance all of the various commitments and work that is required and I owe so much of that to Shift. As someone who works remotely from my co-workers, communication is vital to be effective in my job. With Shift, I am always at the top of my game!

Pros

The ability to manage several accounts and applications simultaneously from one desktop has increased my production dramatically. I serve on several boards and have positions that require monitoring as many as 8 emails. Shift has given me the ability to easily move between accounts and constantly keep my pulse on what is happening in my various roles. I like to operate with maximum efficiency and be very timely with my responses and Shift has allowed me to be at the top of my game at all times.

Cons

This is a nitpick, but I am someone who likes to have zero unread emails in my inbox. The hotkey to make an email read is Ctrl + Q. However, that is also the hotkey for closing the application. So I will frequently close out of Shift and have to re-login which is inconvenient. I also find that the logins will frequently expire for emails I do not check daily and it can cause issues where I am not aware that new messages have arrived since the inbox is not updating.

Useful App

Pros

Shift allows me to manage my email inboxes all in one place without having to login to each one every single time I want to check its new content. The application itself is very easy to install and implement on your system. Really should not take more than 10 minutes all things considered. What I like the most about Shift is the easiness in which I can add an additional email or remove one that I no longer require at the moment. With the various upgraded tiers that Shift offers it also enables the app to support a multitude of additional application (other email providers and different apps that you can all integrate within your Shift platform).

Cons

Shift often gets laggy when you open it first thing in the morning. The red notification with the number of new emails that it shows is also often not accurate. Sometimes when I have read all new emails, it would still display "8" or "14" or whatever number of new emails I had previously. I also think it is costly for what it provides.

A Jack of All Trades Application

Pros

I love the ease at which I can switch between my different accounts for any different purpose! It completely changed how I respond to communications, without having to log in and out of different emails. The notifications about which account has a new detail makes it even better! My business also requires the use of multiple forms of communication (e.g., email, text message, Facebook Messenger, Instagram), so to have a service that enables me to access all of those in one application so simply, it's perfect.

Cons

My sole frustration with the software is the lack of expediency in addressing bugs. For example, ever since I upgraded my Mac to OS Catalina, Shift has encountered numerous issues that I did not previously encounter (e.g., issues with using HTML links in email, applications shutting down) I I'm still waiting for those to be addressed and they won't be for at least another week based on prior experience.

Excellent Product, Awful Support

The product is excellent but I'm extremely disappointed by support. I was offered a free year long trial of the beta version of Premium by a senior member of the team after having buggy experiences earlier on. A few months in I was loving it and planning to upgrade to Premium after the year. However, after a few months, the account was spontaneously downgraded. After almost 2 additional months of...

Pros

Easy to use, used to be really buggy but has improved significantly Chrome extensions are now available So easy to toggle between accounts Doesn't seem to use a lot of bandwidth

Cons

Customer support Frequent identity verification - but that's probably not within Shift's control

Convenient

Overall I'm happy because I'm able to access all of my email accounts and majority of the third party apps/accounts I use on a daily. Saves me time and helps me to work more efficiently since I'm working on multiple things during the day.

Pros

The fact that you are able to connect a lot of other third party apps in one place. I manage a few businesses and have multiple emails and programs I'm in on the daily, it is nice to be able to access majority of them in one place.

Cons

Seems like I have had more security issues since having Shift, sometimes the program times out and I have to restart the program, or it takes a little bit longer to open. I use Google Drive a lot and off and on I cannot save from Shift (download Google Docs or docs from email) directly to My Documents. I have to save it to this folder on my C Drive.

Thanks for the review! We're excited that you're managing multiple emails and programs in one place with Shift. You may have already discovered this, but it is possible to change the download location in Settings > General > Functionality within Shift. You first need to toggle off "Always ask download location" and then click select location. If you're still having issues, feel free to create a support ticket (https://support.tryshift.com/new) so that our team can help you out.

A mail client which brings all of my google services into one place, across accounts. Excellent.

All of my email in one place, including my calendar. It's a familiar interface since it just uses the gmail native interface. The aggregation of accounts / services to a desktop client makes it a win.

Pros

Having a single mail client which brings all my accounts together. I like that they are all separated, but I can quickly change between them and see unread count in the sidebar. Shortcuts to jump to my calendar and back to my inbox make it quick and easy. Having it in a desktop client allows me to not need to worry about the browser and which account I'm signed into right now when pulling up my mail. Ease of use, convenient and familiar (gmail interface), quickly fetched mail, and other features make this a goto client for me right now. The extensibility now with extensions is a great feature.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the memory usage by Shift can get a little out of hand. I tend to force quit the application and relaunch it. Sometimes an extension doesn't work correctly and it's not clear how to fix it (like the Zoom extension saying I need to log in again to authenticate, but then not having a method of doing so - at least not easily found).

In love at (Second) Sight

I was intrigued by the functionality of this product when I first saw one of their ads on Instagram. It was the all in one solution I was looking for, to minimize the dozens of Chrome tabs I have open every day for work. I downloaded and started using the free version and loved it at first, but soon found the limitations of the free version (obviously). I stopped using it for a few days and realized...

Pros

The fact that I can streamline my workflow and work in 20 different programs/platforms within one app is a lifesaver. I no longer have to switch windows or desktops to switch between tasks and projects. It's all right there with a quick toggle, and I love it. Plus, it makes it easy to quickly switch between personal and work accounts (social media specifically). No more logging out/logging in every time I want to switch.

Cons

It doesn't have every app/integration I need, but probably about 80% of the ones I use frequently are there, so it's not too bad.

Best Productivity Software Available

Shift allows me to save time during my day by keeping all of my important communication tools, including multiple Gmail accounts, open and accessible without having to switch between accounts in the browser. Staying on top of multiple email accounts and other methods of communication during the day (such as Facebook Messenger and Android Messages) was time consuming and ineffective. But with Shift, it puts it all in once place and is very easy to use!

Pros

Access to multiple Gmail accounts within a single window and no switching accounts. Also love having access to other web applications within a single app as well. Allows you to build out a customized set of web apps to save you time during your day.

Cons

To be honest, I have had very few issues with Shift. Google Forms can be a pain sometimes as their don't always want to open in the child windows, but other than that, it just works.