Thunderbird Logo

Thunderbird

Email management platform with search & filter capabilities

Thunderbird Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.26/10

Reviews by rating

I am generally satisfied with Thunderbird and have been using it now for 4-5 years. It provides an affordable solution that is relatively easy to use.
I didn't come up with anything that bothered me.

Gustavo B.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Great alternative to Outlook

Thunderbird is a great management system for emails, it is easy to use, and represent a great alternative for any company looking to reduce in terms of licenses.

Pros

Open Source ( free to use) Good Email Management System Easy to install and deploy

Cons

It does not offer any cloud based system that might allow the software to be used away from where it was installed and configured.

UA

Ubed A.

Computer & Network Security, 501-1,000 employees

"Mozilla Thunderbird: A Powerful and Customizable Email Client for Managing Your Inbox"

Overall, Mozilla Thunderbird is a popular email client that provides a range of features and customization options. Many users appreciate its security and privacy features, such as encryption, phishing protection, and spam filtering. Additionally, Thunderbird's ability to manage multiple email accounts from different providers, including POP, IMAP, and Exchange, is also well-received by users.However,...

Pros

Pros:Free and open-source software: Mozilla Thunderbird is free to download and use, and it is open-source software. This means that users can view and modify the source code, and even contribute to the development of the program.Cross-platform support: Thunderbird is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, so users can use it on almost any computer.Customizable: Thunderbird offers a wide range of add-ons...

Cons

Cons:No real-time syncing: Thunderbird does not offer real-time syncing between multiple devices, so users need to manually sync their email and data.Limited integration with other services: Thunderbird is primarily an email client and does not integrate well with other services like calendars or task management tools.Outdated user interface: Thunderbird's user interface can feel outdated compared to other modern email clients.Lack of support: Thunderbird is maintained by a small community of developers, so users may not receive prompt support or updates.Storage limitations: Thunderbird's storage capabilities are limited, so users may experience performance issues if they store a large amount of data.

JD

Jacob D.

Retail, 1-10 employees

I do not understand all of the hype around Thunderbird. I find it clunky, slow and barely usable.

Overall my experience has been pretty awful. As has that of my employees. We all find Thunderbird incredibly clunky and unwieldy. It also looks like it's from 1995. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem if the interface wasn't so messy and cluttered. I would have expected to sacrifice aesthetics for usability, but it turns out with Thunderbird you sacrifice both aesthetics, simplicity AND usability/workflow. I will continue to give Thunderbird a chance as I need a client that is compatible with Protonmail Bridge, but I will likely jump ship back to Protonmail in the near future.

Pros

There are a lot of add-ons (although the ones I have - Conversations and Quick Text - do not function smoothly). There are a lot of options to sort emails in different folders and the client is highly customizable.

Cons

Thunderbird, from my experience, is incredibly slow and buggy. There are constant glitches that seriously affect workflow. For example, emails I click on randomly go back to unread automatically, meaning I have to click on them several times to mark them as read again. Other times, when I'm responding to an email, the email will suddenly disappear, but it will be marked as read, so I'll have to...

Amy S.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Managing Nonprofit Theatre Communications for Cast and Crew

As stage manager for a small, non-profit theatre troupe, I used Thunderbird to create and manage an email group for every production. I can easily copy and rename my list for a new production, edit out non-participants, and add new ones. Contact suggestion cuts my work in half, and assists me in recalling numerous names. When I need to quickly communicate a schedule change, script addition, or weather cancellation, a few letters in the address box bring up my email group list immediately. File folder organization is simple and practical, and allows me to manage productions past and present in detail.

Pros

Thunderbird simplifies our communication with director, cast and crew of every production. Group email lists are manageable and user-friendly.

Cons

I would appreciate the ability to easily export my group lists so that our director could personally address the group.

JM

Juan M.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Great email accoutn manager

I am thrilled to share my exceptional experience with Thunderbird, As a professional constantly inundated with emails, finding an effective and efficient solution has been a game-changer for me. Thunderbird has truly revolutionized the way I manage my inbox, and I couldn't be more impressed.From the moment I started using Thunderbird, it was evident that this tool was designed with productivity in mind. The intuitive user interface makes navigation a breeze, and the seamless integration with my existing email accounts was a huge plus. Setting up filters, labels, and automated responses has never been so straightforward.

Pros

Allows you to integrate and manage several accounts in one single space

Cons

Can't wait to get the mobile app to have all my accounts always with me

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Complete control over your mails

Pros

It is completely configurable through add-ons. If you use Firefox, you will find the same environmemt and interface. I have several language thesaurus add-ons, so not to make any typo whatever the language I'm using. It is free!! Also if many mail software are free, having Mozilla foundation behind gives you the security of future developments, and that it will never change to paid mode... It is so easy to move your mails and whatever linked to it, from one workstation to another (i.e. when you change your laptop..)... So to replicate your environment and have consistency of your mails (you need to se up IMAP accounts). It is hence also very easy to have backups of your mails, just in case.

Cons

Nothing really, I'm happy with Thunderbird and don't consider to change it in the future... What I would say, is that maybe I don't use it at its best, for the extensive number of add-ons existing, as I look at them only when I need a certain function.

Teya B.

Automotive, 51-200 employees

Take it if want FREE. Leave if if you want GOOD.

My overall experience is good and I am used to the ugly, dated interface. Until somebody makes a software that is better and still free, I will stick to Thunderbird. My whole team will.

Pros

I love that it is reliable. The core app has never let me down once I installed it. I have had many difficulties with the plugins updates, but that was because of the plugin developers, not Thunderbid. I like that it is free and it has not annoying adds or anything that would ruin the whole experience.

Cons

I find the interface very, very dated. It is cluttered, the fonts are 1990's and the way that I can't read an email without scrolling down drives me crazy. The reason for that being that the screen is divided in two vertically and on top is the list of all received emails. This could be designed so much better.

PE

Paul E.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

A Good Old-fashioned Email Application

Basically it just offers us a really simple, low maintenance, secure system for keeping track of our customer's e-mails.

Pros

The hint to what I like about it is in the title, yes it's been around for a long time but when something works as well as Thunderbird does you don't need to change! From a security point of view I like the fact that it isn't cloud based with all our business customer's personal mails and details stored on some other corporation's servers. It's a breeze to setup new accounts, and their are various extensions that allow you to unleash more power from the application.

Cons

There isn't really anything that I don't like about this software. We have been using for probably 12 years since we opened our business and have never had an issue.

Internet, self-employed

Easy, free and classic

I use it daily from my main PC.

Pros

Free open software with classic mail usage. I'm using it since the Netscape days and recommend it to customers.

Cons

When you setup a new account, the username doesn't add the @ and the domain automatically. Also, Betterbird have some options that they could add to it. The calendar and all the addons can't compete with Google or other alternatives.

James C.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Best email manager with desktop version

I've been using this manager for years and I just don't see myself using another desktop version. A good part of the team has already started using the tool and everyone loved it.

Pros

The ability to add and manage multiple email accounts draws a lot of attention in this software. We were able to customize each account with different signature, folders and redirects. The search system works very well, with specific filters for each type of search

Cons

Sometimes I had difficulty and slowness to do more specific searches, using keywords that were in the body of the email. I've had problems with the manager simply stopping working and having to restart.

bk

beta k.

Animation, 1-10 employees

The most popular free email client

Pros

If I compare with other free email clients, thunderbird of course one of the best option.As an open source software, you will not have major issue with security and privacy, you can count on their community.Thunderbird also has many great add-ons, if you combine thunderbird built in features with some add-ons, in terms of features, thunderbird is able to compete with other paid software.

Cons

I've tried so hard to make thunderbird as my favorit email client, but unfortunately back then, due to lack of update and outdated user interface, i have to make a switch to paid email client.

André S.

Civil Engineering, self-employed

Thunderbird: a open-source free alternative to Microsoft's mail client.

The best problem I solved was that I could run this program in another operating system such as Linux, without needing a powerful computer to run it. As a result, the interface responded really quickly. The second most important point is that it is completely free, meaning there is no locked feature behind a paywall.

Pros

By far the most important part is that is just works. You can easily install it on your computer (even easier on Linux) and get back to where you were at. As it is developed by the Mozilla team, it is completely open source and free, meaning you won't have to rely on Microsoft business model. And in case something doesn't feel right or there is a killer feature that is lacking, most often than not you can find an add-on that suits your needs, for free! Oh, and it is really lightweight!

Cons

As it is not affiliated with Microsoft, it lacks advanced features present by default in Outlook. The spam detection, when you first start using it is not that great. However, the more you mark e-mail as spam the more the app gets right, learning from its experience.

EK

Erik K.

Internet, 501-1,000 employees

A great replacement for Outlook

I made the switch to Thunderbird when my outlook experience became too frustrating with lost emails and sent mail stuck in outbox oblivion. Since switching I've had nothing but great experience with Thunderbird.

Pros

I love that Thunderbird is reliable. Having used Outlook for over a decade, I was a bit hesitant to switch, but am very glad I did. I had numerous problems in the past with outlook which are no longer an issue since I've switched to Thunderbird. Thunderbird works the way I expect it to, and I never lose mail or have items stuck in my outbox. I highly recommend!

Cons

The thing I liked least about Thunderbird initially was the layout and aesthetic, but that quickly disappeared as I became familiar with where everything is located and the icons for everything. Now I would say the layout is very simple and less complicated than Outlook.

VB

Valentina B.

Translation and Localization, self-employed

Complete, easy to use, but it still needs some improvements

Pros

I prefer using free softwares because they are fairer than commercial softwares and they are often more complete and easy to use. I really appreciate all the software options, the possibility to add several e-mails on the same device and to customize the look of the software.

Cons

I don't appreciate the fact that, since several months, it's impossible to synchronise my contacts from Google Calendar because the plug-in is no more compatible with the new releases.

Robert M.

Computer Software, self-employed

Free and useful

I like it. It is smooth and very fast.

Pros

It is working very well. When you add your email address, it sets up everything for you. There are a lot of extensions that you can add functionalities to Thunderbird. As it has a lot of users, it is bugless

Cons

I do not know why they have separated outgoing server settings in another section from the account setting. The search and filter are not very functional, and I could not find my desired result from it. Maybe it is my mistake, So at least it is not user-friendly enough to learn and work with.

JZ

Jeffrey Z.

Farming, self-employed

Best Free Desktop Email Program

I use it on a daily basis to send dozens of emails. It works very well, & I love the fact that PDF's open within the program

Pros

It's feature rich, open source, & funded by donations. It gets updated very regularly with new features, etc.

Cons

My biggest gripe is the fact that you can't easily switch between signatures. & that to use HTML signatures, you need to save them as a file

Armando I.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Ultra Fast Mail Solution.

Thunderbird is my preferred solution when it comes to solving mail, calendar and contact sync problems. I use it every time i can't access my accounts from others mail clients. I can customize every aspect of the connection to my accounts and thus debug any errors. In addition to obtaining the mail easily and quickly. Respond with ease and digital signatures.

Pros

Emails with tabs, connectivity with provider of calendars and contacts. It is the characteristics that stand out. The ability to add plugins from the store helps to find quick solutions to missing functionalities.

Cons

It could improve the visual appearance a bit, although it helps improve performance. A better skin is likely to help you choose as a mail client definitive solution.

Albert S.

Railroad Manufacture, 51-200 employees

Review by Albert_Thunderbird

Pros

One of the most important features is that allows you you to have several tabs to manage your e-mail.

Cons

Thunderbird, for me, has been abandoned by Mozilla, and as well GMAIL has overpassed it in terms of ease of use and e-mail management.

ML

Mark L.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Email Use

very good. easy to set up, and use and full of value and features needed to operate.

Pros

A great way to use an email system that is very low cost and has the features and benfits you will need for many small business applications

Cons

It has the ability to improve with more app and IT developers getting involved with new ideas, as these people basically work on this system and bring new items and ideas to the table..

Abhijeet K.

Construction, 1,001-5,000 employees

Make your professional mails by thunderbird

My overall experience with thunderbird is good this is less expansive software for professionals mailings.

Pros

The overall quality is good about this software because of it's easy interface and easy to send and receive mails through it.

Cons

Search filters can be modified and folder creation can also be more smart.

AL

Ad L.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

good alternative email client if you do not want to use Microsoft Outlook both paid or free

Fast, no costs. Good alternative if you want to use a mail client instead of the more intuitive webmail portals.

Pros

its pretty fast in performance. The layout/visual is easy to understand since it is basic email layout (pretty similar as gmail)

Cons

Since it is open source you are bound to support from other users. The opening of tabs is something i personally do not like. Maybe others users are liking it more than i do. Don't like the visual. It has a rather childish menu bar layout in black and white.

Ade R.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Good software for email management

Very simple to use and a great free solution for email

Pros

The ease of use and that it is free to use

Cons

Only webmail based as I understand it, but could have change now

GL

German Liber L.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

The open source email client we deserve!

Thunderbird is great for a free and open source option, I feel like it needs some touches here and there and new features, but working with it every day is perfect.

Pros

Thunderbird is a fast and reliable program, supports a lot of email accounts without paying a single cent. Includes RSS support, and the set-up is easy as can be, I managed to set up my email account just in a few minutes. The best feature are the tabs, you can open many of them and read multiple emails. Being a freelance graphic designer I need to talk with a lot of clients, and sometimes I don't even use the same emails accounts for everyone, so Thunderbird is really helpful with it, it's really easy to change from one account to the another.

Cons

Some basic features, (like minimizing when pressing close button) I needed were only available installing extensions (third-party plugins). Kind of old interface as well.

JJ

Jeet J.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Free Multi-Inbox Manager

Pros

What I love the most about the Thunderbird app is its multi-account support. I can set up as many emails on it as I wish. Moreover, it also supports adding SMTP mail which is really helpful. Also, the notifications are quite reliable and timely.

Cons

There is no mobile app for the software

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Outdated interface and clunky performance, but is a secure and feature-rich free option

Go with Outlook or Gmail if these options are available to you.

Pros

It has a variety of extensions and options for customizing your email experience. It is a great free option for keeping all your email accounts in one place.

Cons

The UI is outdated and looks like 15-year old software. Performance is also clunky and setup can be cumbersome for those without a decent amount of experience. An inexperienced user could easily overcrowd their setup and degrade their experience without better guidance.