Altaro VM Backup Logo

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.21/10

Reviews by rating

Super easy to setup! super easy to use! rock solid software with outstanding support. This is by far one of the best backup&recovery products since years.
Cloud management console makes it easier to manage and receive alerts from anywhere. Support is great and always very helpful in resolving issues promptly.
The user interface is a very nice place from which to work. The integration with Hyper-V has been extremely reliable.
Too sensitive with error codes from storage devices. In cases that other products complete the backup and restore, Altaro fails due to minor errors reported from storage devices.
I have never heard ot attended to any complaints about the product just the process of invoicing and processing an order is time consuming.
I tried my best to find something to dislike but we've never had any serious problems or flaws with the software.

Alan M.

Research, 51-200 employees

Backup bang for buck

I've been using it for over five years to back up my virtual machines. It's a great product and I only wish I could back up my branch domain controllers with it. It's never let me down.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to setup Regular updates Ability to replicate entire servers to Hyper-V host in hot site Very space efficient Exchange mailbox item level restore Competent support Priced competitively

Cons

Doesn't do physical machines: if it did physical machines to tape libraries as well as disk I'd use nothing else for backup Support doesn't cover all time zones: there's sometimes a delay in getting assistance

Thanks ever so for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We appreciate it. I wanted you to know that we will soon be providing backup of physical machines and will notify our customers and followers about this in due course. We're also now starting to provide 24/7 support.

MS

Michael S.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Good Software that fits most needs.

Overall a great software, we use it as our Main Backup software

Pros

Pro: Easy to use, fast to implement and fits almost all needs.

Cons

For high complex Systems its not the best suited since it does not has the most options. Deleting/purging older backups is painstaiking slow and needs to be improved.

LR

Lloyd R.

Altaro Hyper-V Guest Server Backup

Reliable backups and the support in excellent when needed

Pros

Quick and easy to install and configure.

Cons

Not much, but being unable to shrink backup-set files after removing data is becoming a problem.

BY

Bevan Y.

Reliable and well supported

Reliable product that we have used to recover data within expected timeframes and under pressure. Always test your restore functionality to make sure it works... and this one does.

Pros

Restoring VM's and also Microsoft 365 Data is granular and easy. The single dashboard for both products makes it easy for our engineers to use.

Cons

It would be nice to have more detail regarding current and past operations

SC

Steve C.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Good backup solution for VM's

The product is simple to use and reliable. I've used it for quite a few years, and it has definitely made my life easier when things have gone sideways.

Pros

The software is easy to configure, quick and does a good job backing up the VM's. File level (including single exchange emails) restores are easy and quick. Restoring an entire server is equally simple. It has definitely saved me on several occasions.

Cons

The offsite facility could use some work, specifically with regard to using the offsite server. If you do get corruption in the offsite server, you've pretty much lost your offsite backups and need to start from scratch.

JB

Joseph B.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Altaro is a fantastic product at a reasonable cost and does just what we want in a solution.

The any issues we have with our backups using this solution are almost always a problem with Microsoft shadow copy or something similar interfering with Altaro. Everything else is golden.

Pros

The speed of backups and compression/de-duping are phenomenal and the features available are fantastic. I love being able to send my backups to an offsite location and not having to worry about data volume, and I love being able to pull files at will, and spin up backed up clones to test for or locate issues. I've also come accustom to great new features being developed for nearly every new release.

Cons

-having to start the backup chain over again between version upgrades -having to rely on Microsoft's shadow copy, which fails every now and then

AW

Alexander W.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Flawless operation in a breeze

Super satisfying - especially the world-class support - be it chat or phonesupport.

Pros

I never thought that i'll be able to have a backup up and running in under 15 minutes. The GUI is neat and tidy and self-explanatory in most parts that it is very satisfying working with Altaro VM Backup. It doesn't take much to convince customers into choosing Altaro - most of the time a trial is more than sufficient. There's just so much Altaro has to offer - sandbox restores, boot from backup even replication and offsite storage ...

Cons

The only, minor thing i'd have on my wishlist would be better reporting capabilities like: "storage used per VM backup", "Error reports" etc.

AL

ANTONIO L.

Mining & Metals, 51-200 employees

VERY HAPPY WITH THIS BUY

We are using it in a offsite backup system recommended by our it supplier NEWLIME CONCULTING

Pros

It's very reliable and easy to deploy and use.

Cons

I cant remember any downturn to this cool backup software.

DT

David T.

Server Backup - Would recommended

Pros

Easy of use and transparency on the backup process is a huge benefit of this solution.

Cons

We would like a version which can backup Windows 10/11 endpoints

Sven B.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Easy and reliable to use

Pros

Easy Installation, Reliable Usage, very good Customer Service

Cons

In case of failing Backups, sometimes it's only possible to reconfigure the whole routine

Shannon B.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Reliable Easy to Use Altaro

Excellent

Pros

I liked the Ease if of use and easy management of this product

Cons

It is very strict with disk errors, which mean it will not backup.

MY

Mohamed Y.

Machinery, 51-200 employees

review by ICT Manager and Altaro administrator

Pros

1-ease of use 2-stability 3-support performance and respond

Cons

integration with other apps support of one drive as backup destination

RB

Ricardo B.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Poor Support and issues with disk space

We use Altaro to backup our hosts with hundreds of VMs. We are now migrating to a different plataform, due to the lack of support to ReFS and the other limitations stated above.

Pros

Easy of use. It take some time to learn the software schema, but after that, it is very easy to use on the day to day experience.

Cons

Support is almos informal. There is a ticket number, but the follow up is poor. Chat is almost always offline. About disk space, the backups keep groing indefenitely, even if the VM has not much updates. The optimization tool to recover space does not work properly, takes too long to execute, while it runs, it blocks ALL backups funcionality and at the end there is almost no space freed. There is no limit for backup space per VM or per storage. You need to always keep following up the disk usage. There is no support for ReFS, what is a shame for a software that runs on Windows Servers and ReFS has been around for a while already.

We are sorry that your experience with our support team has not met our usual high standards. Our support team prides itself on the great feedback it receives from customers, so feedback like this really does stand out. We answer support calls within 22 seconds on average and follow up email tickets within 2 hours on average. Our customers have the option to use chat or phone for quicker responses,...

VK

Vivek K.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Virtual Server Backup

Very satisfied!

Pros

Easy to setup, easy to use, and easy to configure

Cons

No cons, very satisfied with the product

JV

Jason V.

Mining & Metals, 51-200 employees

Excellent product with ease of use

Overall and amazing, robust product that works very well, highly recommended!!

Pros

I've been using Altaro VM Backup for many years now on both of my servers and it works very well. Fortunately i've never had to restore a VM, however I'm pretty confident how to restore and I hope it would work just as advertised.

Cons

A little complicated when using more than one physical server (I have 4 VM's total, 2 on each machine), and I am running two different versions (v7 & v8). I'm not 100% sure whether both are needed or not and it is most likely user error.

AG

Aaron G.

Computer Software, self-employed

The best VM backup

Pros

We have been using Altaro VM backup for about 4 years now and our experience has been exemplary. The compression and deduplication feature is phenomenal, I never imagined I would be able to keep 3+ weeks history retention and still have my backups take up less space than my VMs themselves. The offsite server is also a huge bonus, absolutely free, just pay 3rd-party hosting and storage fees and put the server wherever you like. Their support is top-notch.

Cons

Cost can get a little high if you have a lot of hosts, but still worth it and still less than most other options

PM

Patrik M.

Animation, 1-10 employees

Altaro review: small business, 2-4 hosts

Very good. Have been able to restore objects very easily when needed.

Pros

Stability and high amount of good features.

Cons

Hard to diagnose errors as an end user. However, the support is easy to reach via chat at most office hours.

Thank you for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We are working on more detailed error messaging, and we are putting efforts into publishing additional KB articles which error messages can link to so as to provide a `next step¿ for each error scenario. However this is not always possible and sometimes we simply do need to look into further logging to provide further recommendations and solutions -- in those cases you will of course find our team ready to help, quickly!

AG

Alexandre G.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Great and reliable backups so I am happy with the product.

Peace of mind that my backups and my client's backups are well executed.

Pros

Ease of use of the product, it is not a problem to use it for the first time and figure it out by yourself. Quick and reliable backup Possible to backup locally and externally. Quick support team.

Cons

Limited database and active directory recovery fonctionnality. There is not version of the product that can be used for a physical machine to back it up completely.

Thanks for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We appreciate your feedback. We are working on backup for physical servers and look forward to rolling that version out shortly.

RH

Russ H.

Retail, 201-500 employees

Integral part of our Data Protect Program

Meets our business needs perfectly. Highly recommend..

Pros

We use a layered approach to both Security and Data. Using a Hyper-v environment we have all our assets immediately available through an emergency Hyper-V replica server. Both the main and replica get backed up regularly using Altaro Backup. That is THREE extra levels of protection! Now the LATEST BEST edition they can give a FIFTH layer of another Replica Hyper-V/Altero Backup Server!

Cons

Licensing is a little bit of a pain point, no the cost, just how to maintain licenses.

BP

Blue P.

Computer & Network Security, self-employed

No better software for the money

From day one I found this so easy to use compared to other products. Right out of the gate it worked and did its job with no issues. When the time came to need it to save me it did not fail. You will not find a better product for such a good price point.

Pros

From day one this software just gets better and more features added for a great price point. It is easy to use and reliable. When an issue does happen support is a great help and it too just gets better over time as this software and company have evolved.

Cons

I have none this does everything I need it to and more.

AH

Alex H.

Insurance, 11-50 employees

Great all around, easy to use Backup Software.

Overall Altaro Backup is a great product. We switched from BackupAssist years ago and have never looked back. Altaro has met all of our needs and they offer great support!

Pros

I like how easy it is to navigate around the GUI and how quick and easy it was to deploy.

Cons

I feel like the remote backup tool needs some work. I can think of a few features that could be added to would make it more useful.

DJ

David J.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Altaro VM Backup makes backup proceses easy and is quick to learn

The support desk is really good and the dashboard is easy to learn.

Pros

The dashboard is easy to use and if you do get stuck, you can have instant access to the chat to resolve any issues with Altaro support desk.

Cons

Sometimes you do get stuck and would like Altaro staff just to remotely connect and resolve the problem rather than requiring you to resolve the problem yourself.

Simon B.

Logistics and Supply Chain, 51-200 employees

Reliable & Robust

We've been using Altaro for 3 years now and it has been very reliable so far. Support is first class. When I had a problem with it not backing up because of an mistake i made with my Virtual Host, they would have been within their rights to pass this back to me. but their tech support spent the best part of half a day remotely helping me getting that resolved. I'll always be grateful for that.

Pros

It Runs Reliably & Is very easy to use. With very few failures. You get Notified immediately if there.

Cons

The Only Small complaint is that the licencing section isn't always clear and easy to understand.

AA

Andrej A.

The best backup for MSP, mainly in SMB

Very satisfied

Pros

Easy for use, install, administer, manage

Cons

Everything works fine for us, we are using product daily

ES

Eugen S.

Computer Hardware, 1-10 employees

KMU Switzerland

Backing up VM's is essential in a hosting enviornment. You need to be able to go back were you have been before a problem occured.

Pros

The value it get for the price is very good with Altaro VM Backup. Restoring VM's is very simple and quite fast.

Cons

Offsite replication is not always working.

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear you ran into issues, our tech support team is ready to help and very easy to reach with a 30-second average response time! Please contact us (https://www.altaro.com/support.php) with details of your issue and we'd be more than happy to help you investigate further!