Bookkeep Logo

Bookkeep

Automated ecommerce and retail bookkeeping just got smarter.

Bookkeep Reviews

4.9

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.54/10

Reviews by rating

I have a great relationship with the folks at Bookkeep and they are extremely helpful.
Best Option, Thoughtful Mapping to QBO, Always Improving, Fabulous Support.
Sometimes there are glitches or a transaction fails and needs to be re-initiated. Make sure to reconcile so you catch these!).
The bookkeeping journal entries are titled weird.

Wine and Spirits, 1-10 employees

Bookkeep rules.

Been using it for years now and have never had a serious issue. Any small syncing hiccups were dealt with immediately by the Bookkeep team.

Pros

Seamless integration that keeps my daily books up to date.

Cons

No cons with my experience of Bookkeep.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We are honored to be part of your trusted tech stack for years now, and we hope to serve you for many years to come!

AJ

Andrew J.

Great service

Love it and the customer service was quick and helpful

Pros

Customer service was great and they helped me set it up. It transfers data seamlessly

Cons

Not applicable. Once I understood what the setup needed it was pretty easy.

Thank you so much for your review Andrew! We are delighted to hear that using Bookkeep with Square and DoorDash is helpful to you and your business. We look forward to serving you as your restaurant grows and you add even more selling channels!

AG

Alisha G.

Great service

Pros

Very easy integration, much better than existing quickbooks integration.

Cons

A slight learning curve but I did figure it out

Hi Alisha, Thank you so much for rating us 5 stars on all the dimensions! We appreciate that very much, and we are so glad our QuickBooks integration is working well for you. We did wonder why you gave us a 3 (out of 10) regarding your likelihood to recommend us, though? If there is anything we can do to enhance your experience with our service, please do not hesitate to let us know!

JM

Jim M.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Great Product and Support

My experience has been perfect. The integration was seamless.

Pros

The professionalism of the team and especially Anish. Most helpful and always there for support when needed

Cons

Nothing at all. Everything works well and the staff is always available for any help

Jim, thank you so much for your review! We are delighted you are having a great experience and that Bookkeep is easier to use than your prior solution. And special thanks for your shout-out for Anish, our Head of Customer Success (we love him too!)

JS

John S.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Shopify to QBO

"This application ensures daily updates for QBO, keeping my financial statements current. With real-time insights, I stay informed about our business performance. Should any changes occur in Shopify or payment forms, Bookkeep's responsive customer support swiftly resolves any issues."

Pros

It keeps QBO up to date without and user intervention.

Cons

we have not had any issues with bookkeep

Thank you John! We are so glad you are using our Shopify to QBO integration and seeing the benefits of having your sales, sales tax, fees, adjustments, etc., all neatly summarized in your general ledger every day. Over 1/3 of our customer base uses our Shopify integration with QBO, and we continue to work on adding features to deepen it. Our latest is the ability to separately label any Shopify Collective adjustments that are netted into your Payout figures. Thanks again for this review, and for your trust in Bookkeep!

SG

Sonya G.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Bookkeep saves time and ensures accuracy

Pros

Support staff is wonderful. They take the time to make sure you are set up correctly up front. After that, I very rarely have to talk with them but know they are there if I do need help.

Cons

I wish you didn't have to talk with a salesperson to order the subscription. However, the first time I went through this with a client it helped me know what to look for in the future implementations.

Thanks Sonya, for your review. We are so happy you are finding Bookkeep to be reliable, and that if you ever do need help, our support team is able to help quickly. As to talking to a a sales team member to sign up, you don't actually have to do that. Most folks initiate a free trial, and then simply add their credit card to continue the subscription. I am thinking we need to make that clearer on our website (note to our marketing team to look into that!). We appreciate your feedback on this! thanks!

Ashley R.

Wine and Spirits, 1-10 employees

It just works!

Pros

I’ve been using Bookkeep for my business for a few years now and it’s one of the very few resources that I never have to worry about. They also send an email every morning, so I don’t ever have to wonder. It really just works. I don’t know what I’d do if I ever actually had to enter the data manually!

Cons

Really there isn't anything. It has always worked extremely well for our business.

Thanks Ashley for your review! We are so glad that our daily update emails are helpful, and that our automation is saving you time!

HS

Heather S.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

A great help for tracking Square sales!

Pros

Bookkeep syncs my Square transactions to my Quickbooks using a daily summary. It made my books more accurate and up-to-date with far less labor than the manual process I was using before!

Cons

Very occasionally a post is missed or double posted, but customer service is great about fixing it when that happens.

Thank you Heather! We are so happy that you are enjoying our Square to QBO daily sync, and we appreciate you sharing your experience with others who are looking to keep their books up to date without manual entries!

SR

Shannon R.

Happy User

Pros

I have a client that wants daily updates on their account. I don't have the capacity for that, so we settled for weekly (most of my clients get this monthly). Honestly, it was such a hassle to move to weekly and the client felt in the dark for not having it daily. This was a great resolution

Cons

The bookkeeping journal entries are titled weird. At the end of the month I do go in and make sure things get into a more detailed category

Thank you Shannon, for this honest review! We love that you are able to use Bookkeep to automatically give your client daily up-to-date revenue figures, and that this created a win-win situation for your firm and your client. As to the journal entries being titled weirdly - We'd love to learn more about that and find out what you would want them to be named. If you are game, please start a chat with one of our agents, and give them your feedback, for David, our Director of Product to consider! Thanks!

MM

Meggan M.

Square + QBO Sync

All the people who work for Bookkeep were engaged in the onboarding of their app. I really appreciated the personal onboarding service.

Pros

Bookkeep has amazing customer service. They take the time to make sure their connection is working accurately. They do not just "map & go." I really appreciated Anish and Ananie's level of patience and explanation. They have the bookkeeper's best interest in mind and the sync is a beautiful match to QBO's bank feed. It make bookkeeping a breeze!

Cons

Nothing - they are even prompt to respond in the chat box support.

ME

Maureen E.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

An Integration worth its Value and More....

My overall experience has been great. There has been a huge learning curve with reporting e-commerce sales in comparison to other businesses. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] have been great to work with.

Pros

The integration to the apps & QBO is clean and thorough. When mapping a client, customer support has provided support. Bookkeep's customer service is far superior than its main competitor. E-commerce is not an easy industry in regards to reporting sales and it's constantly changing. The Bookkeep staff remain steadfast with the industries demands and are constantly trying to increase their applications to make our jobs easier as bookkeepers.

Cons

I would like to see all transactions that occur in Paypal to go through the Paypal Balance (clearing) Account. That would make it easier for the bookkeepers to reconcile the account and decipher what is exactly missing from the months transactions when reconciliations issues arise.

Thanks, Maureen! Have you worked with the new PayPal integration? If you need help just reach out to Customer Care.

VM

Vickie M.

Used with Quickbooks

The support has always been responsive when I am having issues getting the exports out of square and into Quickbooks.

Pros

It connects between Square and Quickbooks very well. The data matches and this is the main reason we use Bookkeep.

Cons

That it sends over double entries at time.

Hi Vickie, Thank you so much for your review! We are very happy that your Square data matches exactly after we post it to your QBO, and that our support team has been helpful when you needed assistance. About the double entries? They actually aren't double although they certainly look like they are! It is a weird bug in QBO that creates an illusion of more than one entry in the bank feed sometimes. We have an article on the topic, and we are working with the QuickBooks Developer team to correct the "optical illusion" of the double entries in your bank feed. Here is the article we wrote about the issue. https://knowledge.bookkeep.com/quickbooks-bank-feed-multiple-match-confusion Thank you!

RD

Rachel D.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Can't live without this product

Pros

So I STILL post sales journal entries manually for some clients. Because of the volume I only do it monthly. With my clients that I am able to integrate with Bookkeep, all of those daily sales post automatically and I don't have to do anything! HUGE life and time saver.

Cons

My only gripe is that the PayPal integration only allows posting to one expense account. Looking forward to assigning multiple accounts

ST

Sharon T.

Sharon from Turner Accounting & Consulting Services LLC

Pros

The Bookkeep app is very user-friendly. I love that it integrates with so many different platforms and I can bring on more new e-commerce clients. The staff is AWESOME!!!

Cons

I have a non-profit ministry that uses the Churchtrac app for their online giving which the payments are processed through Stripe. I would love to be able to integrate this app with Bookkeep.

TF

Tyler F.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Better than any other transfer method available

We have used a quickbooks transfer and other third party apps but bookkeep has been the best by a long shot. They use journal entries instead of QB aweful sales/invoice mess. The customer care team is also top notch. I know the other apps are a little cheaper or free but you get what you pay for so save yourself the headach and just use bookkeep. P.S. I also recomend verify.com for your invoices, with them and bookkeep I have substantially cut down my QB workload.

Pros

It was easy to use and the customer care team was extremely helpful.

Cons

Nothing, it does everything we need it to do.

We appreciate your review, and we're glad to help with your workload.

AM

Anna M.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Great app for my e-comm clients - a must to integrate Shopify

Great support, easy to use (no effort once setup)

Pros

Generally once setup, I never have to touch Bookkeep - it just works.On the odd occasion a transaction fails and needs to be re-initiated. This is a trigger that something new or incorrect flowed from Shopify - we catch a lot of errors this way and it helps clients train their internal team on best practices.

Cons

Hey in an ideal world this would be free, but it's aimed at high volume clients... I use it even for smaller clients where the price is a bit steep but the functionality is perfect so it's still a win.

PH

Pat H.

Excellent Service

We are adding a client's Amazon accounts to Bookkeep. Since this was our first time - questions abound. The answers are clear and concise and especially TIMELY! For other clients it has cut reconciling time for Shopify and PayPal accounts from hours to minutes.

Pros

How it stream lines information coming into Quickbooks. Bookkeep also responds so well when we have issues; bringing many people in their organization to your problem. So wonderful to have this support with a new product.

Cons

It does change your Ledger accounts - be sure to add everything they suggest in the correct account type.

Thanks for your review, Pat! We appreciate it, and we're glad we can help automate your workflow.

ZM

Zee M.

Best Option, Thoughtful Mapping to QBO, Always Improving, Fabulous Support

Bookkeep support staff was extremely helpful explaining and assisting with understanding the options of how to setup my client with three Shopify stores plus PayPal. Their assistance was specific and on point to my accounting needs integrated with QuickBooks Online. I'm looking forward to using this with all my clients where the need fits. I took a long time to decide on Bookkeep and while this is still new to me, I'm grateful for how they have developed this SaaS and for the additional connections in development.

Pros

I like the fact Bookkeep is setup to think like an accountant working with QuickBooks Online specifically. Mapping feature is thoughtful and providing us with Journal Entries is of ultimate importance.

Cons

I have not yet had enough experience with Bookkeep to like anything least yet and what I have experienced, I'm very pleased. This software is leaps over the others I reviewed. More professional, on point, thoughtful.

Thanks for your review, Zee. We're proud of our awesome Customer Care team!

SH

Sarah H.

Retail, 51-200 employees

Support

Excellent customer service. Especially from [SENSITIVE CONTENT]

Pros

Books allows the integration from Shopify to Quickbook to be seamless. When there is the odd issue the customer service from Bookkeep is excellent and I always get my problem resolved quickly.

Cons

I wish I could use it for all my intergration needs. We use Touchbistro for our restaurant and the intergreation tool isn't nearly as good.

CS

Catherine S.

New to Bookkeep

Very good experience - there are a lot of new softwares out there for accountants/bookkeepers and it is hard to keep it all straight. Many are just out to sell you a product and then leave you out to dry to figure it out on your own. Bookkeep is there every step of the way. Are patient with beginners and have a thorough understanding of Accounting and how it will work with QBO - this is a valuable service that many other softwares do not offer - or claim to offer but truly do not . Bookkeep has been a wonderful find - I can't wait to take on more clients now that I have freed up my time with manually entries.

Pros

Customer support and 11 day trial - customer support is quick to answer emails and chats and willing to meet with you again if you still are having trouble after the initial set up.

Cons

Not all my platforms work yet with Bookkeep but they keep improving and including more platforms

DK

Dayna K.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

The integration was seamless. My experience has been great!

Pros

Seamlessly integrates daily sales without issue.

Cons

We have not had any issues with Bookkeep. Customer service has been very responsive any time contacted.

Thanks Dayna! We appreciate your review very much, and are so happy that your experience has been great with Bookkeep. We hope to continue to serve you and your food and beverage business for many years to come!

KK

Kelsey K.

Accounting, self-employed

Customer support is the best

Pros

The software easily imports Square sales into QBO and the team is extremely helpful and responsive.

Cons

Sometimes there are glitches or a transaction fails and needs to be re-initiated. (Make sure to reconcile so you catch these!) But Bookkeep chat support is always there to help and their response is almost immediate.

AW

Amy W.

You Need Bookkeep

Pros

Daily and accurate journal entries mean I know where my business stands every day without a lot of checking or calculating between different programs. No more confusing journal entries from multiple sales channels and stores! No more, why won't this balance? What batch is that, etc?! PLUS the customer support is insanely good! Not only did [SENSITIVE CONTENT] get me set up properly, but they walked me through all the connections and links and entries so I really understand where the numbers are coming from. Buy. This Now. If you are a busy entrepreneur, it will change your life. Rock Stars!

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything at all. Life saver.

EF

Erica F.

Time Saver!

Pros

We love how easy it is to use --it saves us so much time and the team at Bookkeep made sure we understand exactly how to use it.

Cons

It sometimes takes a while to get their team to hop on a call.

CW

Corey W.

Very impressed with the Product and Customer Service

Pros

Gives me an automated transparency to my books that I was lacking before I started using Bookkeep.

Cons

It was a bit difficult to map, but my account manager [sensitive content hidden] went above and beyond with walking me through the process.

Thanks Corey! We appreciate you sharing your experience with other CFOs who want automated transparency for their books as well. As to the initial mapping sometimes being tricky, that's true. However, correct mapping is the foundation for successful automated data transfer, so we go above and beyond to help our customers map all their different revenue and expense and payment streams into their GL. But once its done and the data starts automatically flowing each day, it's magic, isn't it?!