OutSystems Reviews

OutSystems Reviews

OutSystems

Build Enterprise-Grade Apps Fast.

4.75/5 (84 reviews)
4,660     7,680

Rajendra koranga

Quick and Productive

07/06/2016

I am so keen to learn a new technology, but since last two years when I start working in outsystem I never think about to change the technology because of its quick, fast Development and Productive feature. if your logics are clear then it's quite easy to learn, if sometime you are stuck to write a logic and not able to resolve by the Oustsystem then you can use the third party extension that can be easily integrated by outsystem.

Pros

Easy to learn, Easy to use, Growing from strength to strength.

Cons

Quite a few jobs, less useful for database driven application,

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Thank you for your review Rajenda. It's great to hear that the platform covers your technology needs for fast delivery of apps.

Kilian Hekhuis

The best RAD and Agile tool on the market

17/03/2016

Our company (a relatively small energy supplier in the Netherlands, less than 100 employees) has used the OutSystems Platform for over five years to solve almost all of its business needs. Sales, sourcing, CRM, billing and (e-)invoicing, intrabranch communications, the customer portal - it's all developed using the Platform, without any third party software (safe the software the Platform runs on). We work in an agile fashion with short delivery cycles, providing user benefits and company value every two weeks. This shows the versatility of the Platform in providing everything we need for RAD - both for new development and for maintenance.

Pros

Easy, intuitive IDE; easy deployment and maintenance; highly productive; easily scalable; free personal edition in the cloud; ever evolving, embracing new technologies fast, new major versions at least once a year, bugfix releases regularly; excellent support staff; active community.

Cons

Pretty hefty licence fees, not suitable for small businesses. Needs additional licences for the infrastructure it runs on (MSSQL or Oracle DB). Still limited design patterns for UI design (no problem for business software, limiting for creative minds).

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Kilian, thanks for taking the time to write this review. It's great to hear that you're using OutSystems for 5 years now, and delivering such a wide range of applications to support your business.

Nick Swart

Outsystems rocks!

16/03/2016

I got introduced a little bit more than 2 years ago to the Outsystems Platform. Since that day I fall in love with the drag and drop system. It's so easy to just create a small app in just a couple of minutes. Where using the platform to build applications for around 25+ users to use. With some application used by over 150+ users there getting pretty big!

Pros

It's nice to see that OS is improving each day. The training videos and webinars are a real benefit for the new developers. The easy drag and drop technique is so nice to work with. I don't hate coding but this is just some much better. For around 1.5 year I started with the OS Cloud service that is free available for everyone. OS did a real good job to open a free possibility to let you play around with their software.

Cons

I think the main market for OS are the big companies with 250+ employees. By opening a cloud environment they let you use the application for free. Only if you have a company with for example 1 till 50 employees there is no solution for you. The license is that expansive that it's not possible to pay for small companies and the cloud environment is not for production use. I think this could be improved to also fill the gap in between free and real expensive.

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Thanks for the kind words Nick. It means a lot to us when our users say they are in love with the product we've crafted with so much care.

Justin James

Love to develop with OutSystems

16/03/2016

I started using OutSystems in September of 2009. At the time, the learning curve was really high... few video tutorials, the community only had a couple of active members who were working for OutSystems, the Forge had a very limited number of components, etc. I gave it a shot on a personal project, and I was hooked. It just WORKED. Since then I've been involved in some of the biggest OutSystems customers (in terms of usage) and biggest projects (in terms of scope & size) out there, and I am still delighted with the product. It does exactly what I need it to do. It makes the easy stuff trivial and the hard stuff easier. It is not a perfect product (really, what is?) but it is the best way to write Web apps that I have tried.

Pros

It is easy to use and easy to learn. The visual logic layout simplifies development and troubleshooting, and allows the business team to participate at a lower level than traditional coding models. The entire team at OutSystems (and especially the support staff) are just really good, smart people who work hard to help their customers and users.

Cons

Some use cases are still hard to implement. The library of UI widgets still needs to grow. A native reporting solution is really needed. Automated test options are weak.

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Justin, thank you for taking the time to review OutSystems. It's great to have users like you in our community, using the product for so many years and helping it evolve and grow with new ideas and feedback. Keep it coming!

Paolo Palmisano

Outsystems Changed My Life

15/03/2016

As a Risk Manager I was always asked to provide high quality data to the mangement in order to get the right decision at the right time. What about if instead of giving tons of excel file You create a complete webapp solution very quickly ? That's what happened in Banor since the adoption of Outsystems some years ago. We installed the platform 5.1 and we are now using the rel. 9 and almost every colleague in our company is now using an application done with oustystems : Risk management, Middle Office, Client Management and we have just released a public Customer Portal. It's great.

Pros

Easy to use, almost no programming language but only drag and drop, easy integration with our Oracle Database.

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Thank you for your review Paolo. It's great to see the reach of the platform and the types of solutions that you are being able to deliver with OutSystems.

Curt Raddatz

Outsystems Platform for Agile Development

15/03/2016

I was hired for a project to help convert a license and permit system from a legacy mainframe system (my expertise) to a web based system. The original plan was to use a Common Off-The-Shelf (COTS) product to do this but realized that the legacy solution was so specific to this organization that it would have taken many millions of dollars to customize the system. When looking for alternatives I found Outsystems and was able to quickly put together a prototype and plan that would give them all the capabilities they needed at a reasonable cost and time.

Pros

1) Learning curve is very quick - after watching the videos I was productive within two weeks. 2) DevOps is built-in - many developers never think about the additional issues and concerns related to deploying fixes and improvements to a working application. The DevOps capabilities of the Outsystems platform removes these concerns. 3) Extensibility is a huge issue with any platform and Outsystems delivers completely in this area. From the Forum components that are available to the ability to write your own extensions in .Net or Java, there is nothing you cannot do with the platform. 4) No lock-in - many enterprise customers are concerned with being committed to a platform 'forever'. The Outsystems no lock-in capability eliminates these concerns.

Cons

1) The built-in menu system is weak - while it's adequate for simple menus it can't do anything complicated. For example, implementing a Mega Menu type of menu is challenging though anything can be implemented with some work. 2) Outsystems is very receptive to ideas from the community but there's no way to know when/if those ideas will ever get implemented - some of the best ideas have been around for over 5 years with no feedback from Outsystems. A rough roadmap of what will be implemented in the future (with no guarantees) would help me plan work to take advantage of those features. 3) Pricing has been a sore point in the community for quite some time. While a base price is listed on their web site, the base price would rarely cover a full enterprise application. Also, pricing is geared to enterprise clients making it almost impossible to be used for small applications.

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Thanks you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review Curt - it's because of users like you that tell us what is working and what should be improved that our product and company continue to grow and evolve. Thank you.

Steve Jordan

Web development for Dummies

15/03/2016

The Outsystems Platform allows our company to do what we thought previously wouldn't be possible without a huge team of developers and money. Updates are regular and huge progress is being made to keep up to date with UI trends.

Pros

Scale-able architecture, reliable, very little coding and fantastic support.

Cons

Licensing can get expensive especially heavy on multi-tenant applications.

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Steve, one of our goals has always been to reduce complexity so that companies can deliver much more with the resources they have. It's very positive to see that your company is taking advantage of that.

Hélder Anselmo

IT made easy

14/03/2016

I'm using OutSystems for almost 10 years and the tool is exactly what I (YOU) need! All-in-one: Development, Monitoring, Analysis, Configuration... with a few clicks. I can write here all the features of the platform but, like people, the most important is how motivated you are and how you can grow. The platform is growing a lot and every new release adds significant features to make the platform aligned with new technologies/approaches.

Pros

Development made easy All-In-One Community Business approach

Cons

Price model - Complex and hard to understand

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Thank you for your review and for being with us for 10 years - that's quite a number!

Manish Jawla

Quick and Robust

14/03/2016

Outsystems is the best opportunity for every developer to enhance its skills by developing the application in fraction of seconds. If you have good analytical skills then you can develop any application through Outsytems. I am working in outsystems from last 1.5years and my experience is awesome.

Pros

1. Quick. 2. Robust. 3. Easy to Manage. 4. Easy to learn.

Cons

We need to upload more tutorials on youtube and on other tech websites because peoples usually search these websites. Needs to spread more help over google also. I know forum is always ready to help us but still if its possible.

Time used: Less than 6 months

1 of 2 people found this review helpful
Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Thanks for the great feedback Manish. We've been making a considerable investment in creating more training materials to ensure our community has the best support possible.

PRAMOD JAIN

Increase in Productivity

14/03/2016

We have started using OS around 2 year back and so far we have developed and delivered many small and big projects using this.We observe a great improvement in productivity with same resources we used to work with .Automated 1-click deployment and roll-back also increase productivity and reduce the deployment effort and errors. Now we have a big team of Outsystems developers and looking forward to make ourself more confident and Agile.

Pros

One Click Deployment Multi Tenant Management User Role Management Query Optimization Allow Extensions to Write Your Own Code Love Ready To Use Forge Components SILK

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Thanks for taking the time to write this review Pramod. Increasing productivity has been one of our top objectives since the start and we're happy you taking advantage of it.

Daniel Martins

High-productivity application platform

14/03/2016

I have been working with Outsystems since 2008, as Consultant I have used the Outsystems platform to delivery several projects for several companies. For sure Outsystems platform keeps its promises: "The OutSystems Agile Platform gives IT the power to build and change custom enterprise applications with the speed, agility and robustness the business demands." Where Outsystems makes the difference is even beyond application development, because supports the entire application lifecycle, making it easy for teams to deploy, manage and operate up to hundreds of different apps.

Pros

- Development speed with Outsystems is outstanding. - Outsystems offers a Public Cloud PaaS that's perfect to evaluate the platform. - Monitoring and Management: Configuration management of running applications and identity management are also handled out-of-the box by OutSystems Platform. All apps are automatically monitored

Cons

- Enterprise licensing can get expensive.

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Daniel, thanks for your review and for highlighting a couple of features that we also believe to be extremely relevant for every company delivering serious applications: Full Life-Cycle Support and the Monitoring and Management.

Remco Dekkinga

Best experience ever with a development environment

11/03/2016

I've used the Outsystems platform for more than 8 years now. Over the years you can see the quality of the platform and speed of development improving. I use the product to improve business processes and to reduce human interaction during processes by automation of repetitive tasks. The problems that can't be solved by the platform directly can always be solved by using a 3rd party extension that can be integrated into the platform. Outsystems can handle all types of applications from single user to large usergroups (more than 3000 concurrent users accessing the same application). I've not yet seen a competitor of Outsystems that works as good or better and has the same or better support (from the company as well as the community). So for me this is still the platform to work with.

Pros

There is not just one thing I like about the Outsystems Platform. I like the ease -of-use to build applications and the speed of deployment to production, The out-of-the-box Analytics to monitor the performance, the quality of the supportdesk and the active community.

Cons

The only thing that I don't like about the platform is the mystery around new versions. I would love to see a roadmap with a timeline for new functionalities and bugfixes. In relation to this I would also like to see from the Development Team which Ideas that are posted on the forum are put on the backlog and which will never be delivered.

Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Remco, thank you so much for your review and for ranking OutSystems so high compared to the the competition. We strive to continually deliver better product and services and to really partner with our customers, therefore we really appreciate your support.

Hugo Menino Aguiar

Fast and easy!

17/03/2015

I have been using OutSystems platform do develop the online properties for the NGO I lead. We developed a payment system from scratch, a system to manage applications and different schools for migrants and a dynamic and cool front end. The speed we need to make changes on our web applications and the number of features we need to deliver, given the size of our team (1 developer!) and financial limitations, is only possible with the OutSystems Platform.

Pros

Fast development, easy to change / maintain apps. Easy to learn (in 2 weeks you'll start rocking OutSystems development with no problem. If you know DB systems, and a high level programming language is enough to learn OutSystems fats and easy.

Cons

You will need to adapt a little bit to the IDE and it will take you 2 weeks to start being productive. It depends on you (of course). Also, you can start doing things from day 1 though.

3 of 4 people found this review helpful
Helpful?   Yes   No

Response from OutSystems

Thank you for your review Hugo. For OutSystems it is a pleasure to see NGOs like yours take advantage of our technology to bring your ideas to the community.

Iain Fogg

Great for fast web development

26/02/2014

When I found this, it felt like the software I'd always been looking for - allowing me to focus on designing data and adding custom functionality, rather than the usual process of lots of work typing code that is simply doing routine tasks, especially when working with AJAX functionality. The graphical interface works really well in most cases; the majority of what we want to do can be done with the drag and drop logic, and either automatic or custom SQL as needed. There are times when you feel you're going round the houses to achieve a particular custom effect, but those times are fairly rare, and as the product evolves, they become more rare.

Pros

Very fast way to get prototype and proof of concept systems up and running Most custom features are pretty easy to add You can shell out to C# when needed Very easy roll-out of applications from dev to test to live

Cons

The underlying SQL database can get pretty complicated if you keep changing data structure - sometimes we define the database ourselves to get better control over it

Mike

Speed with control

13/02/2014

A great solution to deliver all sorts of mobile and web applications. The visual modelling environment is intuitive and makes development and change extremely fast. The automated deployment of applications across environments is very powerful - you can deploy a large set of applications with complex dependencies in one go, without worrying about it. The platform automatically collects performance metrics of the applications from the users devices, which gives full visibility on the level of performance the users are getting. Best suited for companies that have a list of several applications they need to deliver.

Pros

Very easy to learn by people with good understanding of development techniques, ER models & algorithms. Extremely fast do develop and very easy to change applications. By using the available UI themes, the resulting applications are highly usable

Cons

Subscription pricing not well suited for SMBs

4 of 5 people found this review helpful
Justin James

The IDE of my dreams

26/08/2010

The Agile Platform is a truly unique idea in the world of development tools. By providing the Integration Studio, it addresses the common concerns about systems that promise “no more hand coding.”

Pros

I really liked the integrated workflow, particularly deployment (and the rollback functionality), and the fact that it already takes care of scale out scenarios, security, and other common headaches.

Cons

Is the Agile Platform for everyone? No, it isn’t. But for developers working on typical Web applications

Harrison Ogboin