Daminion

Digital asset management solution for small to large teams

Daminion Reviews

Scott F.

Michael V.

4.6

Daminion Delivers

I used to just have photos in cascading folders named in a way I could somewhat go search for something if I remember when it took place and what the name I gave the collection - It could take some time to find anything at all. Now I can always find what I want when I want it within Daminion.

Pros

One of the highlights for me of using Daminion has been the tagging and indexed searching, I have thoroughly enjoyed marking my imported photos with multiple categorical tags while naming them using custom naming patterns - after which I have the ability to toggle or filter the tags or multiple tags as well as search on any part of the name or the file's metadata. Another highlight has been the support...

Cons

It may not be as easy for a user to figure out how to do something complex within Daminion like rename and move a set of files while retaining a partial part of the existing file name convention or uniqueness in the names - things like that. Also, I actually use this for personal use and my family is 7 of us but there is no Home license for more than 2 users nor does it have the ability to access restrict by user roles (ie. provide my children unique access while keeping them from being able to delete important photos). It is a more advanced area I'd like to move into but the opportunity is not provided (and I certainly cannot afford the team version for my family)

Daminion has been a lifesaver

We found Daminion from an Adobe blog that referenced the DAM software. The blog was discussing how to set up Lightroom for group use, as we found out from that blog post there really is no good way to set Lightroom up for a shared environment. While that discovery was disappointing, it led us to Daminion, which has proven to be anything but disappointing. Daminion allows us to organize our vast...

Cons

Data asset management for teams

Pros

Daminion data asset management is easy to use. It's a convenient system to work on the descriptions and keywords of photos. You can batch import the assets with relative ease. The interface is intuitive to use.

Cons

Daminion software regularly crashes. It's easy to restart the software but it's still unpleasant. There are certain fields that cannot be exported to a csv file what took us by surprise.

Hello Van Geyt, Thanks for the feedback! What Daminion version do you use? We constantly improve the product and release new versions with bug fixes. Could you please send us more detailed information about the bug - I will pass it to our dev department. Thanks again for your feedback! - Daminion Customer Care Dept

Outstanding DAM software value & ease of use

I am very grateful to have discovered this digital asset management software recently. I had tried several versions which were incredibly expensive as well as an open source version though I didn't find it as user friendly as I'd liked. I have plans to utilize this software for three purposes. I will recommend it to a professional photographer colleague who needs help to organize his portfolio. I will...

Cons

Wanted upgrade from Lightroom 3.64 without an Adobe subscription. Damion is perfect for my needs.

Easy to use. I am using Daminion Pro.

Pros

I like that all the metadata is shown under the properties where it's easy to read. The different view modes are excellent as is the ability to change the thumbnail captions easily. I also like that all the captions show up at the bottom of the thumbnail instead of having to toggle. Daminion is fast. Adding multiple keyword tags to a photo is very easy. Likewise, it's also easy to remove them in...

Cons

It would be more user friendly if Daminion would remember the sort by choice after the program is closed and re-opened. I usually always search by "Creation Datetime". After posting my review, a technical support person contacted me about how to change the default. It is too long to post here, but you can contact Daminion for instructions.

Solid but very inexpensive DAM for small teams

Overall very promising piece of DAM especially because of its orienting to small teams and inexpensive price. There are a lot of DAM solution in the market but they are beyond the small teams budget and not offer so user-friendly interface like Daminion.

Pros

It focused on media management without built-in fancy image editing tools. All the tag annotations are applied to the file metadata so my annotations are always travel along with my files. It occurs automatically and very fast, even for my Camera RAW files (NEF, DNG). Any image or image set can be located by maximally 2-3 mouse clicks. My private photos separated from my portfolio images by several...

Cons

- It doesn't support Mac, although I don't care about this - probably someone would like to use Daminion Mac version. - It doesn't support uploading to my Flickr although they have Export SDK and probably I'll write a small Daminion addon that helps to upload to Flickr soon.

Daminion, excellent value, top support

I use Daminion for digital asset management. I recommend Daminion software to friends and colleagues? The software is well designed with a straight-forward interface. I am a private user. In my opinion, comparing Daminion's features with similar products, it matches and exceeds its competitors. It has extensive features with the ability to customise the program's configuration to suit your...

Best Price and Feature Packed DAM Software

Daminion Server allows me to quickly find assets that I have painstakingly collected and curated over many years, without spending hours trying to find them through Windows explorer before I would ultimately give up and just snag something online, costing me MORE time, and likely, more money. I didn't think I could afford a Digital Assets Management platform until I stumbled on to this software, and it saved me!

Pros

Having an actual DAM (digital asset management) software platform run on my own computers or servers is HUGE for me. I've got so many assets that putting them in the cloud becomes problematic at the least. It is also just me at my small business for right now, so price is a HUGE factor, and I can't afford hundreds of dollars per month to handle everything I have, so that is another massive plus for Daminion Sever. The biggest plus besides that is how simple and straight-forward it can be to get started.

Cons

The user interface feels a bit dated to me, and at first glance (without digging into the program) it can feel a bit intimidating when it comes to how things are laid out. You get past both of those, but I think a fresh 2019 "feel" to the application might fix, or at least help, with both.

Great Budget DAM Solution

Daminion was choose to implement a multimedia repository for an Italian public archive. The repository manage about 400 k objects in different formats (documents, images, audios and videos). The platform is used internally by archivists and archive's guests. The digital objects are stored into a NAS repository of about 100 Tb. Daminion accesses to a NAS share and manage data in place, without moving them, saving thumbnails and metadata into its local directories and database. All the metadata were imported in Daminion via CSV files and then written back to files through its powerful metadata sync function.

Pros

Daminion is very easy to use and run. It sports a great GUI (derived from the best photo management tools like Lightroom and Media Pro) and has a complete and powerful set of functions. The customer care service is great and responsive: It offers a remote assistance service, directly into your workstation or server.

Cons

For me, at the moment (version 4.6/2016), the main limit of Daminion is the speed in displaying thumbnails objects.

Easy to use, fast and reliable

I've tried numerous DAM programs ranging from Lightroom, ACDSee Pro, Picaso plus a slew of others. All of these programs had some nice features but I ended up selecting Daminion (Basic version) for my personal use and it fits all of my needs. My work flow is "very" simple, I import my files from my camera or hard drive, I rename them, I add tags, ratings and comments. That's about it. Daminion...

Thank you, Bruce!