Trail Blazer Non-Profit Manager Logo

Trail Blazer Non-Profit Manager

Cloud-based fundraising software for nonprofit organizations

Trail Blazer Non-Profit Manager Reviews

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.15/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

Amazing tech support from incredibly patient people - can't say enough how important this is. Seamless integration with FEC for super easy electronic filing.
The customer support is flawless. These folks really want to ensure the best experience possible.
Also, the Thank You letter mass printing option is a big time saver. Coming from Salsa to Trailblazer, I am very happy with the upgraded database and tools, and for a fraction of the price.
We have been disappointed by the system thus far as we are a MAC/Apple office - the smaller screen and need for Remote Desktop App is cumbersome and frustrating.
The missing piece was bookkeeping integration and their event registration didn't have an integrated calendar.
There's a lot that I dislike about the user experience of this database.

DV

Dustin V.

We love TrailBlazer

We have been using Trailblazer since 2014. It tracks all of our income, relationships, churches/volunteers… everything. It has literally been the best single expense that we have spent over the past 10 years! Especially considering that we were using Excel sheets beforehand. It saves us SO much time, the cost is inexpensive, and the amount of time it has saved is well worth the cost which is much better than the other alternatives and at a reasonable cost. It easily pays for itself in time saved alone. Easy to use, and great customer service.

Pros

It tracks all of our income, relationships, churches/volunteers… everything. It has literally been the best single expense that we have spent over the past 10 years! Especially considering that we were using Excel sheets beforehand. It saves us SO much time, the cost is inexpensive, and the amount of time it has saved is well worth the cost which is much lower than the other alternatives we've looked...

Cons

Any system you go with has a learning curve. There is a learning curve here too. It requires some logical thinking to use well. You tell it what you want and it pulls the information. You can immediately get to work once you know the basics but as you learn new ways to us it, soon you'll become much more efficient. Email is also a con. It uses html formating. Other services have an easier drop and type interface, templates, and pictures ready to speed up the process. This one requires a little more work. But once you have templates built, it works fine... AND the trailblazer staff will help you build a template if desired. Plus there are great help article and videos to walk you through everything you may want. They have also made some great improvements recently in this area too.

FW

Frank W.

Trail Blazer

Pros

The response for queries is fantastic.

Cons

Using a MAC makes things a little frustrating.

Thanks, Frank! We always enjoy working with you and your team. If you run into any issues while working on a Mac, please give us a call. There are a handful of useful tips and tricks we can show you to help improve your workflow.

CR

Carla R.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Nonprofit User

Assistance with developing campaign templates.

Pros

Constituent tracking: Donor contact info/gifts/registrations. Revenue/expenses reports.

Cons

Biggest complaint is the automatic overloading of donor records when a person purchases multiply tickets. Example: A parent purchases 5 tickets for their family to attend a program/event. TrailBlazer automatically creates 5 records for which only one person is recognized with an email and mailing address. This also promotes between three and four times the amount of records in the system (for...

Hi Carla, thank you for your review and your feedback. We will be in touch to help work through some of the issues you are running into. There are ways to configure events so that you collect more data on each participant, such as their name / email / mailing address / phone number / etc. We also don't know about the change to email subscriptions that you are referencing, so we will need to look into that with you. It sounds like you have your database configured so that any new email signup has to explicitly opt-in a second time, that is a setting that can be turned on or off. Any donor or event attendee should be able to opt-in to future mass emails with ease.

KG

Kelly G.

Fund-Raising, self-employed

Customer service wins

Trail Blazer has been great for moving our small non-profit organization into a larger one at a reasonable price. We started using Trail Blazer when we had under 1,000 donor records and now we have over 5,000 donor records. The software has helped us organize donor information with tools to help us create more in-depth donor details that are easily searchable. Although, this software may not have the prettiest interface, the customer service is what makes this company special. They were extremely helpful during the initial set up. I love that whenever I call or email for help, I always get one of the same three helpful employees and they always respond!

Pros

The customer service is what I like best! Someone is always available to help.

Cons

The interface is pretty old-school. There are major improvements needed for creating newsletters that allow the user to be more creative.

Thanks for the feedback, Kelly! We are in the process of developing a newer version of the software. We would be happy to get you logged into it so that you can begin testing. Your feedback is valuable and we are always here to help if you need anything.

CH

Carl H.

Excellant CRM

Trail Blazer was excellant at tracking donors and donations and other income. The biggest plus was their always ready customer support. You get a live staff person who patiently walks you through whatever issue. They also respond to suggested program tweaks.

Pros

The set up was straitforward, and the learning curve wasn't too steep. it was easy to integrate with our payment processor.

Cons

Thanks, Carl! We enjoy working with you and your team. Your feedback has been very valuable, and we will continue to make improvements to our tools.

TM

Tricia M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

A fantastic tool for non-profits

The team are fantastic to work with anytime we have questions, and it’s always easy to troubleshoot or train thanks to their online knowledge database.

Pros

Donor software can often be out of reach for many “grassroots” charities, however Trailblazer is available at a reasonable price and is easy to use.

Cons

I cannot think of anything that I don’t like

BD

Betsy D.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Trail Blazer is an essential tool for our organization!

This software is a great solution for our smaller-sized organization. It's easy to set up and learn, and the product support team is exceptional. While we yearn for some of the features of MailChimp or SalesForce, the simplicity of using Trail Blazer wins out. To strengthen our online fundraising we are now licensing Classy Software to develop our online campaigns. We still store the resulting data in Trailblazer.

Pros

As a small post-secondary trade school and non-profit we need the critical functionality that Trailblazer provides to track all our constituents and communicate with them regularly through our electronic newsletter. Trailblazer lets us track financial information accurately, communicate with our friends, donors and alums (either collectively or by segment), to review an individual's history with...

Cons

It's really hard to do drip-marketing campaigns, where we have a sequence of emails to send to particular subsets of individuals. We've found workarounds (thanks to the brilliant support team) but it really is cumbersome.

Betsy, Thank you so much for the review! We love working with your nonprofit and you do great work. Your feedback is very valuable and is critical to the continued development of our tools. Joel

LC

Lynn C.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Pros

Data management. Ease in finding contact and contact information.

Cons

Unable to query contacts with events. Software designed more for campaigns than our nonprofit needs.

Hi Lynn, thank you for your review. We would love to help with your event search queries. Many of our nonprofit customers use the event system heavily, so I'm confident that our support team can walk you through the reports you are going after. We'll be in touch!

KW

Katlyn W.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

User friendly and great customer service

Great experience overall. Customer service is always so helpful and willing to walk you through any problems.

Pros

Trailblazer is extremely user friendly and when you know how to work it, it makes the job so much easier. I love how I can write all the thank you letters in one place and takes out room for error.

Cons

The one thing that I don't like is how when you choose the cycle or year for a donation, it has previous years in it. I can understand going back a couple of years for a choice but not 10. But I guess it can be helpful for those who are trying to put previous records in

Thank you for your review, Katlyn! I'll relay your feedback to our development team.

TR

Teresa R.

my review

The help that their staff gives is above all other systems!

Pros

Helps with keeping my data base every day.

Cons

Hard to use in some ways. Could be easier to use, if I could teach myself.

Jesse A.

Think Tanks, 11-50 employees

Little-known standout product!

Generally good. It does what we need for a reasonable price, and with great support by the Trailblazer team. The downsides--remote Mac access, ugly interface, manual importing--are a hassle, but we're used to it.

Pros

Fantastic customer support. Pretty intuitive to navigate. The right level of features for my fundraising program--all the functionality I need, but not too much to clutter my dashboard or brain. Easy to train colleagues.

Cons

Quite challenging to use on a Mac platform, which seems to be the predominant OS in educational/university settings and also among many non-profits. You have to use helper "remote connection" software even to reach the Trailblazer server, and then it looks and works like you're on a PC. Which leads to my other con: The interface is unimaginably ugly. Looks count, and most other CRMs are now clean...

AD

Agnes D.

Trail Blazer Review

Overall experience is good. The Attribute section is very helpful. Also - when I call for support it has always been a very helpful and pleasant experience.

Pros

Trail Blazer functions differently than other databases. Once I was used to how to work with it, I like how much I can do with it. I also like the Attribute feature. It allows me to pull out just what group I want to use.

Cons

I use Trailblazer for people to sign up for workshops and events. I don't like that I can't add items to the registration page. We would love to be able to ask things like what Parish people belong to, a title line, etc.. We also have Deacons, Priests, Bishops and the Archbishop and their titles are always used. When signing up they will sometimes add it to the first names block. Otherwise, I have to go back and add it for any correspondence. Also - some of the columns that I think should always show up are different on all of the queries I use. For instance, it would be helpful if the Title always showed up.

KM

KATHY M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Lots of Search & Record set up options and very good support.

It has been a major upgrade from our one staff only having access on Access on her computer. All kinds of reports can now be pulled for mailing lists, donor specific info for a board member communication, and more. The Support team is very quick to respond and always pleasant to work with. Earlier this year, they even agreed and implemented my suggestion that would benefit all non-profits.

Pros

Being able to access by multiple staff/volunteers from different locations. And the ability to pull information Searches by a variety of Attributes, which can be added to. Use of mass email communications is great and easy to use once templates are set up.

Cons

The cons list has shortened over the last 4 years as the company has upgraded and added to the system.

JH

John H.

Trail Blazer for Member based Nonprofits

Outstanding. I wish the vendors in other areas that I deal with were this committed to customer support and satisfaction.

Pros

The software has many features that have worked well for our group which is a membership based nonprofit. Over the few years that we have had it, the company has made substantial improvements on a continuing basis. However, the assumptions underlying the software's design and features must be a close match to your real world operations or you will likely need to adjust how you do some things to make the software work for you. However, the software is very adaptive, it has many features we need and quite a few we have not implemented. Also, and this is critical for us, the software support, training and consulting is worth every penny you pay for the annual license and more!

Cons

There are some issues but these are the nature of the beast with a product with so many features. One is the learning curve (although you can restrict access to certain features on a user by use basis to let them "grow" into the system). Another is that for a membership based system there are design assumptions that we have had to "work around" - but the programmers and tech support have been wonderful to make changes, tweaks and suggest alternative ways to get things done.

AC

Angela C.

Support From Trailblazer Team

I've had a positive experience with Trail Blazer. At first, it was a little difficult to understand, but I also didn't have any other experience with another software to compare it to. I have been able to use it for a variety of purposes including creating event sign ups, sending mass emails, and tracking donations.

Pros

I like the fact that anytime I have questions about the software, I can easily talk to the team at Trail Blazer. They have helped walk me through any issues I've encountered. Their team has very promptly answered the phone or email questions, and I appreciate that kind of support.

Cons

I had not filled this section out, but it looks like I must answer this section. I'm very pleased, but my only suggestion would be to make it even more intuitive and update the look so it's more modern and inviting.

Thanks, Angela! We love working with you. We are in the process of creating a new version of our software called Trail Blazer IQ. This is in the works and we can show you how to login and begin testing it. You can also download our free iOS and Android app on your mobile devices. These versions have a more modern look-and-feel, where the flagship CRM is much more of a "functional workhorse" type of application. Thanks again!

MC

Mary Carol A.

Trail Blazer Donor Database Review

This donor database has saved us a lot of time. The donation information comes in directly from our website and automatically sends the donor a thank you letter. We are also given the opportunity to send a printed thank you as well. The Trail Blazer support team is great! They are always available to help me when I need to learn a new feature.

Pros

1) ease of entering donations and printing thank you letters with various templates. 2) ability to search for specific donors and send merge letters to them. 3) ability to send year-end donation letters to parishioners.

Cons

The only con is that I thought the IT team would set up my database with the funds and popup fields I gave them so it was up and ready to go when we installed it. The last database we purchased was all set up and ready to go when we installed it. So I had to have several online training sessions to be able to get to a starting place to enter donations.

ME

Michele E.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Trailblazer for Our Pro Life Nonprofit

Now that I've been using it for a while, I'm able to get things done very quickly and efficiently. I greatly appreciate the ability to sort donors into super specific groupings. Trailblazer has allowed me to segment my donor base with amazing flexibility, with just a few clicks.

Pros

The best thing about Trailblazer is the customer service. The guys are extremely accessible and helpful. They are willing to walk me through a process, or just do it for me - whichever I request. After trying two other donor management softwares that offered little or no help, Trailblazer's amazing service is a welcomed benefit.

Cons

The learning curve for Trailblazer is long. Therefore, whenever I wanted to do something new, I'd run into a wall. It seems like the first six months - at least - were pretty frustrating because there was always a glitch and I could never just get something done quickly. The glitch was in the training, not the software. I'd like to see a series of training videos that we could have our staff watch, in order, so that a general level of proficiency could be attained up front.

JA

Jesse A.

Good experience with Trail Blazer product and team

Pros

Customer support, particularly during the training and start-up phase, has been excellent. They are quick and responsive. And their solutions have nearly always been positive -- almost never a "Sorry we can't do that" or "It doesn't work that way" or "We don't have that feature."

Cons

It was not clear to me before I signed on -- and I can't say whether it should have been clear -- that as a Mac user, Trail Blazer is "non-native" in the sense that I have to use Microsoft Remote Connection to access the Trailblazer server and then use a Windows interface. It's reasonably fast. There's almost no lag time with this setup, and it's not as clunky as it could be. But it makes the experience of using Trailblazer a lot less pleasant. I frankly hate the way Windows looks, acts, and feels, and the remote connection is a couple extra steps each time I use the database. The whole reason I use a Mac is so as not to use Windows!

YC

Ykatirina C.

Performing Arts, 1-10 employees

Lacking on Donor Mailing Capabilities

I have learned a lot about how to use this database, however, I am often frustrated at how clunky it is. Yes, it's customizable, but it's very difficult to do some of the most straightforward and necessary functions for our organization.

Pros

I like that you can customize and edit your own attributes and query views for columns. I love how in columns, you can make attributes updatable, and edit them. I like that you can save queries, though I rarely use the function.

Cons

There's a lot that I dislike about the user experience of this database: -When you run a query, I wish you could create an attribute and assign it to all donors in the query -I wish I could update attributes for donors from other search space (e.g. contributions, events, etc) -I don't like that it's only available on PC, and I have to use remote desktop on my Mac laptop. -Mailings are really difficult...

Thank you for the review and the detailed feedback. As we continue to develop our product we are always interested in which items a customer struggles with, and making every effort to improve it. A few items worth mentioning: they system has the ability to mass update both a list of individual contacts as well as household records with an attribute item en masse. - Article 1: https://www.trailblz.com/kb/?action=view&kb=276&cat=0&qq=attribute -...

SO

Seth O.

Environmental Services, 1-10 employees

Works great for a smaller Non-Profit

Overall, I am very pleased with the program

Pros

I love how easy it is to organize your donors, so you don't miss a beat when thanking them

Cons

I find it very difficult at time to pull the correct reports and get the information that I actually need.

Thanks, Seth. Definitely lean on our support team if you have questions on pulling accurate reports, or anything else. We are readily available by phone and email, and we are confident we can get you the reports you need: 1-866-909-8700 & support@trailblz.com.

MH

Melissa H.

This reviewer only left a rating

We use Trail Blazer much different than the intent for the software just because we think it works better the way we have it set up. We have adapted how the software currently functions to our needs. Therefore, we cannot go to Trail Blazer staff to do training on everything. When there are updates, our staff that aren't very tech-savvy sometimes have a tough time. When we do not have a lot of time...

Cons

At Trail Blazer, we are committed to the long-term development and refinement of our product. Our goal is to be nothing less than the software product of choice in the non-profit arena. Yes, the ongoing changes can at times be frustrating, but after the adjustments are made, the net result is a tool that allows you to be even more productive. The particular issue that presented a problem for NCPTC...

TV

Tracey V.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Wonderful Product

Very positive. Customer Service has been EXCELLENT. You won't find a better team anywhere. I am a raving fan and I have used Blackbaud, DonorPerfect and many other fundraising or donor tracking software.

Pros

Trailblazer is used for our non-profit. It is easy peasy to export the data you need. You don't need complicated codes or reports, you can access what you need quickly including event information & ticket sales. It does all we need and then some.

Cons

That it won't allow you to sell tables or golf foursomes and include the names of the guests. This needs to be revised and I submitted this request in October of 2018. You need to be willing to learn some coding to make the features work really well. The mobile piece needs to allow you to open a record and read notes etc. It isn't just for canvassing any more.

BP

Barbara P.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Good Starter program

We are able to track donations by events and have a great database for marking!

Pros

the program is very easy to use for donation tracking and works well with Vanco for online donations and events

Cons

Needs some software improvements. Templates don't save the margins for envelopes and do not allow you to have a left sided letterhead. Extracting information for year end letters can be cumbersome but customer service is very good at helping out to get what you need.

JH

Joanne H.

Civic & Social Organization,

Help Desk Excellence - Trail Blazer Campaign Software

Pros

Cons

I can't compare it to other software that does the same thing, but increased user-friendliness would be greatly appreciated by all. YouTube videos are helpful, but they, along with the knowledge base, don't make it easy to find what you need. Fortunately, tech support goes above and beyond. They could definitely use more developers to work on improvements or known issues.

FM

Felecia M.

A solution for nonprofits

We have zero regrets working with Trail Blazer.

Pros

As a nonprofits that tracks donations, volunteer hours, programs, events, and outcomes, Trail Blazer is easy to use for all individuals in our organization, and if affordable compared to most CRMs. We no longer use numerous excel spreadsheets to track information - rather we can look at the comprehensive pictures of people who are involved with our organizations. (IE Do they attend events, volunteer, and donate?) We also use Trail Blazer to house detailed and complex data to pull for reports. The support team is also very responsive, nice to speak with, and always willing to help immediately.

Cons

Because Trail Blazer was originally created for elections, you have to be creative on how you categorize and define certain data points. IE All individuals are called donors even if they don't donate. But if you can be flexible in how you define certain elements, it works great!