All categories
Salsa Engage

Cloud-based fundraising & supporter engagement solution

visit website

Salsa Engage Reviews

Pros

DonorPro is a wonderful, user-friendly product that is the best fit for our organization's current needs. We love the customer service.

Victoria L.

Customer support, and our Success Coach, are key reasons for our success too. And, we are able to direct more resources to our projects, thanks to a real savings.

Karen S.

Salsa was good for making secure notes about participants/donors and tracking relationships and touches with the participant/donor.

Emily Z.

Cons

Moving from multiple specified tools into an all in one, we did loose some details and specificity that a tool designed specifically for 1 purpose serves.

Jackie B.

There are so many problems with both the software and the service. The software is completely unintuitive.

Frederick M.

Just pop on someone's laptop & login to the GO version losing very little functionality from the desktop / laptop version.

Richard F.

The "favorite child" of the Salsa family

I wish that the Salsa family would update the CRM platform to match the workflow, UX, and ease of use to its sister product Engage, which is extremely well-designed. I love working on the Engage platform and hope to see more updates as time allows.

Pros

This is the better of the Salsa products. It offers a "mini CRM" that, while less comprehensive than its sister software Salsa CRM, offers enough functionality to feel like a CRM; additionally, its connectivity to the CRM platform makes it an extremely useful, multi-layered marketing tool that offers solid email, content, and social capabilities, in addition to good fundraising tools.

Cons

The only flaw would be with their P2P program which doesn't offer very extensive coverage on personal progress bars, public-facing donor info, or easy-to-navigate user capabilities. Additionally, I wish Salsa Engage would offer a link to some sort of ticketing software in order to make our events flow better.

Hello Blake! We hope TMI continues to succeed using Salsa Engage for their marketing & fundraising initiatives! As for the Salsa CRM platform, we have ongoing renovations and continue to release new updates and features designed for an improved user experience.

Salsa is a GREAT Option for Non Profits with a Budget

very positive. they listen to feedback on how to make the system better and investing money into developing it. will work with you to resolves road blocks you might have and create work arounds if needed.

Pros

customer service is an asset! You can get someone on the phone to answer your questions and also a quick response via email. they do a good job investing in updating the system to bring more functions to it. for the price points a great tool that non profits can use for a variety of functions, eblasts peer to peer, donation pages

Cons

wish they had a live instant chat option for questions and also more monthly trainings and how other non profits are using the system to spark networking and be a resource in the industry

Brittany, Thank you so much for the feedback. You'll be interested to know that out support team is adding a live chat option!

Designed to make Life difficult

We have been using it for two years and have done several events and countless email blasts and the learning curve is still way too steep. We frequently have requests for simple things like linking directly to the ticket sales page and we have to wait a year for implementation because the process is in a widget. We will be switching to something more user friendly.

Pros

It was not as expensive as some of the other professional suites.

Cons

This is the most non intuitive program i have ever used. It can do what you need but it is not going to be easy to get there and will take days if you have to go back and forth with the help center. They don't appear to be super compatible with safari. They open helpful windows and the close function will be off screen. Nothing is more frustrating then trying to get something done and have a pop...

Coastal Connections' Review of Salsa Enage

Pros

Ability to customize forms, events, fundraisers, etc

Cons

I wish there were more diverse templates to pick from. I am not the most creative and I would like to custom build forms and events from templates. The templates help boost my creativity so more would be better. Also, I do not like that I cannot keep the template pictures or icons when customizing a form or event. There should be a template photo or icon library available for customers to use.

More Apple, Less PC: Incredibly Robust software, yet needs ease of use

Pros

The vast amount of robust capabilities built into the software platform, always finding new ways of accomplishing tasks and eventually easier ways of doing them.

Cons

It has more of a Microsoft/tech geek feel to the GUI and application's use, rather than the Apple business model for ease-of-use right out of the box, that most non-profit volunteers/activists are accustomed to using for getting a task done quickly — the obvious metaphor to me the difference between the mechanic who wants to get under the hood of his new car and tweak and modify like a hot rod, compared...

Lots of good things, but the struggles are real

Overall I am pleased with the program, but I can also see lots of opportunity for improvement.

Pros

I love the snapshot and dashboard features when you first look at an account or overall fundraising data. There is a lot of information you can gather when talking to a constituent from those first pages that are really helpful and can add insight. It helps with our goals and planning for future events and projects.

Cons

There is a lot of struggle with getting things to load and display properly. I have really been struggling with server issues so when I go to pull up a constituent account I only see the name and can't make any changes or get any data off the dashboard. I am also not a fan of the membership portion of the program since it is too hard to move constituents from one level to another.

Great drag and drop system!

We can combine all of our external communications including event pages, donation pages, and email marketing into one platform!

Pros

Love the easy marketing platform engage has built with the ability to craft visually dynamic emails and all of our event/fundraising pages!

Cons

The company does quite a few updates, which is great, however, sometimes these cause a bug in the system and it will interfere with functionality temporarily.

Hard(ish) to learn, but great functionality

Our nonprofit uses Salsa Engage for grassroots advocacy, fundraising, communications, and event planning. Being able to combine four different services into one integrative platform has saved the organization countless hours and effort.

Pros

Salsa Engage really seems to do it all. We use it as our grassroots advocacy platform and are able to track interactions from our campaign. This allows us to collect tangible data about how many people called, emailed, or mailed their representatives. Salsa Engage has also replaced our giving pages, Eventbrite, and MailChimp. It's been so great to have one platform for all our communications and be able to track and connect everything. When things get complicated, customer support is usually a 10-minute hold and are able to walk me through it.

Cons

Setting up Salsa Engage and CRM took FOREVER! I didn't have a whole lot of time set aside to set it up, but even if I had, I expect it took at least 20 hours. Now that it's set up and I've completed the online training, I still find hidden issues with just about everything it does. The good news is customer support is always able to explain exactly what I need to do to fix it. I know eventually, I'll have worked through all the issues and will just know better.

Does what we need but have come across many, many issues

We still use this software because we're already signed on and it does what we need. However, I have been very frustrated with it for some time.

Pros

Helps us do all of our engagement in one platform whereas we had multiple softwares before. Like the 'all in one' aspect of it. Good support team.

Cons

Many issues and lack of simple necessary functions. Email formatting issues, preview issues, viewer interface sorting issues, cumbersome editing, social media publishing is cumbersome. Overall, found many aggravating issues.

Hi Jacqueline - We are concerned about your review because this is the opposite of what we're hearing from our other Engage users. We will have our Smart Start strategist Ilona reach out to you immediately to see if we can help you get more comfortable with the tools.

Great product...great service!

I highly recommend DonorPro to all non-profits, large and small. The company cares about you and works with you to make sure you are happy and well-versed with their product!

Pros

DonorPro is easy to use, and has many features, many of which I have not even explored yet. They are continually improving their product, and they have the best customer service department in the industry. DonorPro helps us do what we need to do efficiently and effectively. The auction module was amazing, and helped us effectively run our auction, thank our attendees, donors, and buyers without anyone falling through the cracks

Cons

There are always going to be ways to improve a product like this, probably something different for every organization that uses it, but for the money and the flexibility, there is no better product out there.

Great Value and Functionality

I would recommend this solution over the other available nonprofit management enterprise solutions on the market. You get the most functionality for the money and they're constantly expanding the software's ability and support.

Pros

Almost all the digital marketing tools you'll need in one platform. Social media and email marketing, custom donation forms, drip campaigns, peer to peer software, event registration and donor segmentation. These are just the pros of the marketing side. The CRM, formerly DonorPro, includes robust reporting and tracking for all your needs from donation tracking to notes to event management, volunteer management and membership management. Truly and all inclusive system that is getting better and better all the time.

Cons

There have been some growing pains that have been mostly worked out in the transition to convert DonorPro into the Salsa platform. Communication between the CRM and the marketing software is still not entirely fluid, but it gets the job done effectively after you fully understand the system from training. The social media scheduling tool needs a little work to get on the hootsuite or sendible level, but again it still functions well for an all-inclusive solution for no extra money.

Trim and Fit

This software is ideal for a small to mid-sized non-profit. Easy to learn and easy to engage the constituent it is a turnkey solution that will hit the ground running. I loved the ease with which you can perform fairly complex tasks - globally moving groups of donations from one category to another, the api to an online interface such as Constituent 360 (formerly COnvio), the setup[ of security groups...

Pros

Its hard to pick one - customizable fields that still work with the query mechanism, the global change feature - powerful and easy, alongside that the ease with which you can back up and restore if you should happen to mess up (it happens), the clearly defined rules for creating user accounts, security roles, and limited accounts for volunteers. Pretty awesome software

Cons

Not much

So glad we switched!

I'd recommend Salsa Engage to anyone who wants to streamline their online outreach, especially if you have a small to mid-size organization with a small but dedicated team . And if you use Salsa CRM, it integrates so beautifully, you'll be glad you make this move.

Pros

First off, the superficial, but important fact that it looks great! It is also very simple to use. Getting our staff up a running with daily tasks, took only one or two hours of training, as opposed to weeks or months in Raiser's Edge. The templates are a great help and time saver. Even from scratch layout is super simple and intuitive. Engage offers expanded possibilities, like e-mail series,...

Cons

Transition is NEVER fun! or simple! Plan for this if you are a making ANY database change. We lost about 20 of our monthly donors. Lesson learned. Plan, Plan, Plan, And ASK every single question you have and write down every single thing you need the new program to do. And make them show you how to get it done, before you purchase. This isn't Salsa specific. General transition advice form one who now knows! That said, Salsa has done everything to help us get up and running and we are thrilled!

Salsa - flexible, multifaceted and great support team

Pros

Our non-profit aids other smaller non-profit organizations in outreach and advocacy efforts around a variety of issues. Salsa has been great for us because it so flexible and capable of many different types of outreach and advocacy. It has helped us with large scale campaigns and small scale, regular communication with supporters. We are even starting to use it for donor management. One really useful...

Cons

Salsa, at times, can seem very complicated to use, but that is because it is such a powerful, multifaceted tool. And, like I mentioned, when it gets complicated, Salsa's support team is right there to help. One wish for the software would be that web and email templates could be a little more easy to put together, more flexible and more polished. This may speak more to my lack of design code knowledge than of Salsa Software, but I feel like my final html email products aren't as shiny as some I've produced in html email specific software.

User friendly effective tool

We have been using Salsa for more than 18 months and are happy with the product. There have been numerous updates and improvements in social media sharing and other pieces since we signed on with Salsa, and we are happy with those changes. Customer support has improved dramatically since we first signed on, and I feel like we hear back with solutions to our problems, though sometimes I wish they could update incorrect legislative district information more quickly so that folks could take action when an issue is "hot." We use Salsa for advocacy actions, events, P2P fundraising, and donations and I feel like it is a very comprehensive tool to take care of all of those pieces of our work. I would recommend Salsa to organizations looking for online tools to advance their work.

Pros

Easy to use for the staff person as well as for the end user Social share feature works well Customer service support is good Great insights and reports

Cons

Isn't easily compatible with our offline database Takes a while to update incorrect House and Senate district information when it's incorrect for constituents

Two organizations. Five years. Salsa makes it easy.

Pros

Simplicity of use - at least the basics - regardless of the web development skillset of the staff. The packages are also customizable for the needs of one's organization: if you need the whole kit 'n' kaboodle, you get it. If not, you get only what you need. You can also set permission levels for staff to control who can do what to which parts of the packages.

Cons

The look of the forms! For orgs that can't splurge on a web developer/designer, it can be absolutely frustrating to have to clean up so many of Salsa's forms just to get them to be visually pleasing. Also, much of the common changes that orgs want to make seem to be found in some special coding: wouldn't it be easier to provide the types of forms with info most people want, but give them the option to take it off (rather than having to know and trust their coding skills to add them)?

Salsa Engage improved our event management and communication

Pros

The event software allowed our small arts organization the ability to have online ticketing for events, which saved tons of staff time because they no longer need to take phone reservations. We have a better count of open to the public events also, because we ask supporters to make a no charge reservation online. The system put our e-mail communications together with all of our online communications. It is easy to use and the built in templates are simple to modify.

Cons

The system works well for us and we regularly use all of the features. Our supporters like being able to access event registrations when it is convenient for them.

We do not hesitate to recommend this software to anyone!

We do not hesitate to recommend this software to anyone! After comparing it to some of the other software programs available we have learned two very important things. 1) It incorporates so many things that you would otherwise have to purchase multiple software programs to accomplish what Donor Pro does with just one. The result of this is a very significant savings which means everything to a non-profit. 2) No company has yet compared to their customer service team. They are always ready to hear customer feedback on what they can do to improve their software to better accomodate their customers, and they not only listen, but they actually follow through and incorporate those suggestions.

Pros

We cannot say enough positive things about Donor Pro. We are able to operate almost our entire office off of this software, and use it to accomadate the employees that work from home. It can easily be adapted to fit so many of our non-profits needs. We would be lost without it. The best thing about the company, by far, is their customer service. They always exceed our expectations. Our Director of...

Cons

We have been customers for almost 4 years now and still have no negative feedback to offer.

Salsa Engage

Easy to use and support team is on top of their game. They always answer my calls and respond to me quickly. They helped me create some incredible reports, these reports that make my job easier.

Pros

I find Salsa Engage is very easy to use and very easy to maneuver around. My questions are often answered just by playing around in the software. The support team is always helplful and they respond in a very timely manner

Cons

I personally don't like trying out new software, I usually don't like the change. I didn't like the look the first time I used it, but that changed once I starting using it. Worth the price for sure.

Business Manager

Salsa has a great training program and their customer service department is very friendly and is able to help me out when I need assistance. Salsa Engage allows a small nonprofit to afford customized event forms.

Pros

Allows us to customize online forms for fundraising events at an affordable price. Easy to use and pull reports.

Cons

I do not like the fact that the donation information flows into the system without any way to approve it.

Gets the job done

Pros

Salsa provides us with most of the tools and products we need at a price affordable to small and mid-sized nonprofits. Their query and reporting tools are very robust and allow for detailed tracking of supporter actions.

Cons

It is fairly challenging to customize the look and feel of the donation and signup forms, and their out-of-the-box design is fairly clunky and not super modern. It would be nice if their developers were a little more receptive to working on customizations and improvements (as one-off projects outside of the monthly fee schedule).

Salsa for Non-Profits

Salsa is good for general tracking of activities, donors, etc. I would recommend other CRMs over Salsa due to the outdated platform.

Pros

Cons

Running reports is extremely difficult in Salsa. I think this feature could be updated and your customers would be a lot more pleased.

Emily - Thank you for your review. It looks like it has been a couple of years since you have seen our software. We'd love to show you what we can do now! Please let us know if you are interested.

Salsa Engage for nonprofits

Its been ok. There are kinks that do sometimes get worked out by the company. Overall they have great customer service. So when I do have an issue, I get a quick response.

Pros

Salsa generally has a user-friendly interface. Its a platform that be used for everything from E-blasts, to fundraising, to sign-up forms and so much more. I believe there are many told and functions that I have not had an opportunity to use.

Cons

I mostly use for the e-blasts. I find the choices, formatting and other functions limited or strange. For example, the text boxes are finicky every time you make changes in one sentence it seems to make changes to entire text box, forcing you to reformat the whole box again. Also the formatting often doesn't always look great in news letters. There seems to be little room for customizing so that paragraphs and images line up properly, forcing us to put everything in a column rather than in more modern layouts.

Great platform

Very happy we chose to use Salsa Engage as our database. Our team finds it very user-friendly.

Pros

We are very happy with the ease of using this platform.

Cons

The reporting function is always a struggle for us.

Geraldine - Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review!

Chose Salsa after extensive trade study and so far am glad we did

Tough to choose among the many products out there, but Salsa was one of just a few that stood out above the rest for our needs. On my first pass I didn't include them in my top 5 down select, mainly because I thought having separate CRM and Engage products would be problematic. However Software Advice recommended taking a look, and when we did they ended up edging the competition. I spoke to a reference customer who said that the two products work well together, and was especially impressed with the progress the Salsa team has made in improving the products over the last year.

Pros

Customer service and attentiveness have been great. Much more personal than some of the other big name products, where I felt like we were a number in their sales pipeline. Like the kick start process that Salsa has in place.

Cons

None yet. We've just started to use it. Separate CRM and Engage products are not ideal, but they pull it off well. Skill Labs learning videos are really good, though it can be annoying that they force you to go in a certain order for some modules.