ShelbyNext Membership Logo

Cloud hosted solution for church and nonprofit organization

ShelbyNext Membership Reviews

Suggested alternatives

planning-center
ministryplatform
chmeetings

The support has always been outstanding -- every individual I've worked with is friendly and super helpful. And the crowdsourced support (online) gets good answers to your questions too.
This is still a good software for the church wanting to connect with its members more frequently. We love the ability to track leadership encounters with our membership.
We previously used Shelby V. Both products have a great deal of advantages in our congregational needs. ShelbyNext seems to be more user friendly that Shelby V.
There is no alert given if there is a problem on a background check. There is no way to indicate family relationships such as grandmother, siblings, nieces, nephew, etc.
We've had several instances where when problems arose, customer service reps were just as perplexed with the issue.
No back arrow to look at the previous transaction entered. If you are entering a list of manual checks and need to add a vendor all of the previous info entered (date, check number etc) is lost.

Jason P.

Associate Pastor of Administration

Still needs more work.

Transcript

Jason P: My name's Jason. I'm associate pastor of administration and finance at a church, and I give...

Excellent! Easy to learn, grasp, and train others on the program!

Reduced workload. Improved systems and processes. Improved ministry workflow efficiency.

Pros

The support! I work with a CPA who works with many churches using a variety of different programs, and he agrees that Shelby's support far outweigh all the others. Sometimes the wait can be extensive but they do answer the phone and they will solve the problem. I also like the ease of use, how easy it is to learn and train others on the program. Shelby is constantly improving their program and quickly fixing any issues that may surface. I also like the way it helps to mainstream our ministry workflow, by providing a variety of tools that integrate between ministries and departments. The integration between Membership and Financials helps to reduce work and the common errors of entering data. I can't say enough, thank you all for doing such a great job!

Cons

Must have a good internet connection to use the ShelbyNext Membership. We are a church out in the country that only gets 8Mb Service and you can tell when you use an online program, but this isn't Shelby's fault, however it's something to consider. Other than that it's excellent!

MS

Matthew S.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Overall a Top Choice for Managing Membership

ShelbyNext is a good solid church management software if that's all you need. There are no options for managing volunteers and planning. For that you would need to upgrade to the pricier Shelby Arena.

Pros

In addition to a solid database ShelbyNext has a robust groups feature that really is the hallmark of this software. The forms feature is well designed and can be imbedded on a website, used as a direct link, or generate a QR code. It also integrates well with Constant Contact.

Cons

The conversion process from Shelby version 5 to ShelbyNext was excruciating, but once everything got organized correctly it functions well. Organizing family units can be a little complicated as can searching for certain parameters.

CA

Christy A.

Good Looking Software with Functionality Issues

If the software bugs were corrected in a timely manner and there was a clear process to request new features and get updates, it would be a good product. The people we have interacted with at ShelbySystems have been friendly and kind but the development team seems overwhelmed with the amount of constant fixes the software needs. They need to focus on listening to their customers and correcting functionality issues.

Pros

The software is generally user friendly and easy to navigate. The customer service and account representatives are usually friendly and kind.

Cons

The software lacks many features that were initially promised and new features are not added quickly. The support team and developers are slow to act and it is sometimes hard to get in touch with them. Bug fixes take months to correct even when they are major issues that affect our daily use. Their internal QA process is lacking and anytime a fix or new feature is rolled out something else breaks. Recently many upgrades and fixes have been related to how the product looks instead of how it functions.

AH

Annetje H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Best so far

Overall, it's the best software I've used for churches.

Pros

I love the ease of making workflows to send automatic emails. I also like the layout and user interface.

Cons

Child Checkin has been a nightmare getting the software to work with the printer. Also, mobile checkin for attendees is so cumbersome to use, no one will use it, especially our older folks. It takes 7 steps per person to checkin. That is a lot to remember. I wish it was more like taking attendance for groups.

JS

Janet S.

ShelbyNext review

Benefit is the interactions section. Great to be able to record interactions with congregants right after you connect with them so that the next person who meets with them can be up to date on the situation.

Pros

It is cloud based. Our congregation can log in and edit their own record and see their own giving. The calendar, form creation, check in and email service are part of the package. I think the forms work the best of most any aspect of the system. Used to use Jot form, Constant Contact, PlanningCenter, and EMS for forms, emails, check in, and calendar. Now just one system.

Cons

So many small things that don't quite function the way we would like. None of the systems that I mentioned above : forms, calendar, email, check in - work as well as the individual systems that we used before. Forms is the closest to Jotform, but the other 3 do not function as well as the prior system we used. Too many things for me to list them all: Constant contact - we could see data regarding how...

TF

Tabitha F.

ShelbyNext | Membership Review

ShelbyNext | Membership is my "baby" at work (minus the financial keeping of Shelby). Whenever someone needs training or needs help, they come to me. I love explaining the simple and effective way either through their problem or to understand the system. Thank you for making Shelby incredibly user-friendly. This is the perfect system for church membership/record keeping. I have worked with ChurchTrac on two different levels, and they do not compare to Shelby.

Pros

I love using Shelby. The ease and accessibility is user-friendly. I love the many options I have when printing reports.

Cons

We utilize the send email/text/voice option several times a week. One problem that we have run into is sending texts to our Spanish speaking ministry. Spanish involves many accent marks and symbols. An accent mark in one word can completely change the word. In the past when we have sent a mass text from the Shelby app in Spanish, it never goes through properly. There will be a "?" where there was supposed to be an accent or symbol. I have called the support number listed and talked with a representative. He had never encountered this problem and said he would call me back. I never received that call, and that's ok. I know this is a minor issue and not an immediate issue to be addressed. This would be a huge help to our ministry if there could be a Spanish option for Shelby.

MD

Michael D.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

I use it primarily for directory information when I'm away from the office or making home visits.

Addresses of church members quickly when I am away from the office and a good map interphase that helps me quickly find members' homes.

Pros

I find the app very easy to use and appreciate it's interface with other map programs. [It is interesting that I could not submit this survey because the comments in the "Pros" section is too short. I guess that's one way to hear what you want. I don't know what else you want me to say about your program: You use a nice font? It hasn't crashed yet?

Cons

What I like least about the Shelby products we have is the lack of training my staff received (and told they would get) plus the long wait my staff has to endure whenever they have issues with the Shelby Membership Program and the Shelby Financial Program and call for technical help. The time spent on hold is interminable. I suspect that there are just one or two people answering the phones. Last...

PM

Pam M.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Not user friendly - expensive

Pros

Honestly I can't think of anything that I can say that I like about this software. I've worked in 3 different churches and used multiple programs and this is by far my least favorite of them all.

Cons

This software is not really user friendly. The upgrade from Shelby V5 to ShelbyNext did not go well. The mapping between the two versions needs work. None of the custom reports we created in V5 came over to ShelbyNext. It is very expensive compared to other programs and they lock you into multi-year contracts that you cannot get out of. This is meant more for very large churches. The Shelby Financials is very difficult and time consuming to use it actually caused a Bookkeeper to quit. The Shelby customer service is not very responsive. We almost always have to leave messages and wait for call backs and a good majority of the time when you call you get a recording saying they are in a meeting or away at training or closed for some reason.

KF

Kelly F.

Worth the Time to Upgrade

ShelbyNext Membership has been an asset to our church family: we get fewer calls in the church office asking for addresses and phone numbers; the information stays up-to-date as far as we know; pictures help church members put faces and names together; the attendance and email features allow leaders to call meetings and recognize people who are missing and may need a personal contact. Since we are able to make mass contacts and check-in children through ShelbyNext, we have eliminated the cost of additional software programs.

Pros

As a church staff member, I enjoy the fact that the Shelby Membership App puts information in church members' hands. We rarely receive phone calls asking for addresses and phone numbers which occurred frequently each day. Church members can track group attendance and set up meetings through the program as well. We enjoy the ability to make a church-wide or group-wide phone calls, texts, and emails.

Cons

The children's check-in system allows parents and guardians to add multiple records to the system, and it does not ask for mailing address information.

Great software for multi departmental church use

The best benefit is the ability to communicate and plan between our departments in a larger organization (1000 plus)

Pros

I love the child check in and security feature. I like the fact that you can check in your children and the ease with which we can contact parents should an emergency arise. I also like the room reservation, calendar and mass communication features. Shelby does a great job of allowing so many different and effective uses of their software.

Cons

Customer service can be slow to respond and often when they do, they assume the user is the problem first. There are sometimes glitches in the system as well that you have to call about or wait out.

TR

Trish R.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

The Church and Social Media Challenge

I have had a good experience when working with membership

Pros

The ease of use. If I don't know how to do something, there is a tutorial for whatever issue I'm facing. If I can't find something, I can always put in a help request. I do not feel alone and stuck when I am faced with a challenge.

Cons

I struggle with the separation of financial data vs. membership data. I have to check membership once yearly and have to monitor attendance and giving status. I've not yet created a report that shows attendance and giving within one year for church members. Still a work in progress.

SM

Suzy M.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

ShelbyNext Membership in the real world

Same needs as most churches - need to pull out a particular demographic for some sort of correspondence. Need to get trends for attendance in various groups. Need to track a member whose attendance has slipped.

Pros

I like that it is cloud based and that our data base is accessible from anywhere with an internet connection

Cons

Reports in SN Membership are an issue.There is SO MUCH formatting that must take place using a csv/excel report to ultimately get to the information needed. I have never liked that Contributions are a part of membership in SN. It forces us to create roles that exclude access to this feature as contribution information is held in strict confidence at our church.

LS

Larry S.

Flexible

We have had a positive experience with this product. It is flexible and evolving.

Pros

ShelbyNext provides a flexible structure that was adaptable to our ministry operations.

Cons

You need to get the initial set up right. The conversion process could be smoother.

BV

Beth V.

Great customer service. Works really well for ministry leaders. Reports are good but limited.

Pros

Ministry leaders have easy access to member information, groups, and ability to contact them from anywhere using the mobile app or computer. Permissions are easy to customize for various groups of users (staff in different programs, volunteers, members, group leaders, etc). Data is easy to update. Features work well together to automate routine tasks--forms, workflows, online giving, etc). Phone and online support is excellent, whether it is for a quick question, a complicated problem involving multiple people and/or features, or a software fix that is necessary.

Cons

While the canned reports are good, the options for custom reports are extremely limited in Membership. With very large groups, entering individual attendance data is frequently slow. Attendance reports for individuals in a group over time are not possible in the system. For a member in multiple related groups (we track worship attendance, with each service time/location as a separate group), it is nearly impossible to get a quick overview by individual or by group.

AH

Angela H.

Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

Great for some, not for us!

We stopped using Shelby about 4 years ago as it was not meeting our needs as we grew as a church. It overall ended up not being a good fit for us. I'm sure it's evolved since then, however, we found quirks all over the place that didn't fit what we needed.

Pros

Shelby Membership helped us track all of our volunteers and church members. We could run reports and keep track of volunteer teams.

Cons

While we could run reports, we weren't able to get custom things that we needed to be able to track volunteers and schedule volunteers for serving. There were many other things that our staff got frustrated that Shelby couldn't do to help with day to day task that we needed. The overall look and use of Shelby wasn't super user friendly either.

PA

Phil A.

ShelbyNext Conversion

Pros

I love that you can access the software via the internet at anytime instead of having to be on the church's network. The phone app is awesome and we truly love it as a staff. Additionally, I really like the new interactions for ministering to our members.

Cons

We converted our office over to Mac computers. We use a scanner to scan contribution checks and it is not compatible with Mac. Very frustrating.

PL

Pam L.

Church Shelby Upgrade

ShelbyNext was a great fit for our membership size. It has made accessing and placing members in groups much easier to manage.

Pros

It is much easier to access data across the system. I can go to a member page and access groups or attendance in a click and then back to the member's page.

Cons

The name-tag system is very slow. We have check in for our Nursery Department. The system is designed to enter a child in attendance and print a name tag. Name tags take much too long to print out and we have found that we have to send parents on and deliver name tags later.

We'd like to troubleshoot with your church. Please reach out to our support team. We are here to help!

HH

Heather H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Good product on its way to being great

I feel like we came in on the newer end of the software upgrade and have had to work through a lot of changes and upgrades. That being said, I do feel that the company is always listening to its users and strive to continue to upgrade, making this the best software out there!

Pros

The web accessibility and easy of use are a big improvement from the v.5 version of Shelby. There are also so many ways to use and implement this software. It is a one stop shop.

Cons

There are a few things this upgrade did not bring over from the older version which are highly missed.

SW

Saralyn W.

ShelbyNext Membership

Membership side changed way too much from the previous V5 version. Some upgrades were improvements while others set us back from what we like and find useful for our ministry.

Pros

This software was easy to integrate from V5.

Cons

Things we had in v5 (selections and listings reports) are no longer easy to use. Changes are harder when moving people from one "group"/Class to another. Inputting giving is harder in that you have to enter each amount separately instead of a person giving to multiple things. Birthdays are hard to do when we don't get a year. Having to "show all" or next page is also a problem. Starting all over when you are checking attendance is a problem. Not being able to share reports across users. Not having names/address/DOB etc on attendance roles.

PR

Pam R.

Shelby Next Membership Review

Challenging

Pros

Its is nice seeing the individual person's information on one screen. It is fairly easy to use.

Cons

There is only a canned contribution statement, and I would like to be able to add some features. There is no way to show who the memorials and honorariums are for in Contributions. Donors like to know who they gave their money in memory of or in honor of. There is no way to indicate that a person does not want their statement mailed. There is no way to indicate miscellaneous persons who are added...

AF

Annette F.

Pretty Good Software

Overall, we like it.

Pros

I absolutely love the app and that our church members can access their Sunday School Class members, etc. One of my responsibilities is making care calls, and I can pull up the individuals on the app instead of going back to the office to look up their teacher and deacon.

Cons

The fact that when we add a visitor to our choir rolls, they don't show up for attendance; they have to be re-entered (at least that's the way it appears to me). Since we have to "pay" for each individual, we are limited to registering the visitors just to a children's choir, for example.

Amy R.

Great only if it can do what was told it can do in some areas.

Communication with our staff and congregants. Being on the same page with one another inputting information and receiving data to keep our organization healthy and accurate.

Pros

I like the sharp look and the easy navigation to track members and create reports. I also enjoy having an app on my phone.

Cons

I don't like that when I have a ticket submitted for any areas of modules and I never get to hear the outcome of the status or the fact that the calendar is not doing what it's suppose to do and relying and trusting it will be fixed. Here I am 6months still waiting to get the malfunction fixed from software dept but no time frame when this will get fixed.

SK

Santi K.

Awesome Membership Management

Pros

Organizing and communicate with my church members is easily done with ShelbyNext. Some of the most useful features that I use are reports, attendance, and mass communication. The ShelbyNext app is awesome tool, too.

Cons

Accessing the database via internet may become a challenge some times. That’s more of an internet provider issue which affects ShelbyNext. I’d love to see more available characters in the mass contact text messaging feature.

JF

Jeff F.

Overall ShelbyNext has been good for our folks. The use of the app has had a lot of good feedback.

Pros

Cloud based that can be accessed anywhere. Mass email works well for my group leaders. I like the constant updates and improvements.

Cons

Groups is used for both classes/groups and profiles. Checkin and wireless printers didn't work too well. We had to go with another child checkin system. When entering Notes, you can't search for them accurately. Shelby Mailroom should work to update zips and validate addresses in the software instead of a stand alone.

JS

Jayme S.

Very clunky

Pros

Was a large database to hold membership information.

Cons

A lot! Was very cumbersome to use, too many steps to create and run reports.

We appreciate the honest feedback. ShelbyNext Membership has a very aggressive development schedule that will continue to enhance many areas of the system. We hope you will reach out to either our support team or your Account Manager to request help. We want to make sure we are doing all we can to support your use of the software.