VolunteerLocal

VolunteerLocal - effortlessly manage & schedule volunteers

visit website

VolunteerLocal Reviews

Pros

BUT, it was FREE and VERY EASY to use. Once we got it up and running, it worked like a charm, and our volunteers all commented on how easy it was to use.

Derek L.

I enjoy the fact I can schedule fundraising races and other volunteer events with VolunteerLocal with great ease. Compatibility with social media platforms is great.

Abhishek G.

I also have needed tech support to help with some changes and editing, and the fast response is impressive. The whole staff is friendly, understanding and pleasant to work with.

Sandy B.

Cons

I also wonder if the higher levels give notification when a volunteer signs up or I may have missed this feature.

Gillian W.

For a "newbie", it can be confusing. A lot has to do with how the event coordinator sets up the sign-up process to sign up for events.

Victoria W.

We had some issues when we launched initially but our rep helped us immediately and fixed the problem within five minutes.

Great service

VolunteerLocal has been an invaluable service for Youth Emergency Services & Shelter (YESS) and our annual special event, the YESS Duck Derby. The site is incredibly easy to use and the communication features make it easy to share shift updates and last-minute details to volunteers all in one place. I highly recommend VolunteerLocal for anyone managing an event that utilizes volunteers.

Pros

I love the ease of use, both from the administrative side as well as the general user.

Cons

There can be some clumsiness if you choose to only confirm a volunteer once they have clicked a link in an email to confirm. In the interim the shift does not appear to be filled, so you can end up overfilling a shift pretty easily. It would be nice if it could place a "hold" on the shift for maybe 24 hours or some set amount of time. There is a simple solution to this, though, which is just to change your settings so that the shift is automatically confirmed.

The self-service portal is so easy to use, and fits perfectly into the spirit of volunteering

VolunteerLocal makes it possible for us to organize large numbers of people to participate in our programs in the shortest possible time. Because it allows applicants to broadcast their participation directly from the application to their social media pages, we are able to multiply our reach quite efficiently without any additional marketing costs. And the best part of all is that, volunteers can be given an option to contribute and make donations to the cause during registration or after they have completed their service. A win win for all!!

Pros

Most volunteers are simply looking for a way to give back to the community. And what is great about VolunteerLocal is that there is an integrated payment processing platform that allows volunteers to give more than just their time. And because it is presented as an auxiliary and optional feature, volunteers neither feel pressured to donate nor have to struggle to give if they want to.

Cons

The reporting and analytics features are quite inadequate. And there should be an easily composed dashboard for quick progress updates to enable coordinators better update themselves with the state of affairs in real time.

Great service to many organizations!

I like the ability to look at the dashboard and see where numbers are at whenever I would like in real time. I think that in the communication program, it should list names along with email addresses when you select who will be receiving information. If I have to log out of the communication area to look this information up, I lose where I am at and have to start over again. Not particularly convenient. Also, there should be a way for us as administrators to print name tags for volunteers for specific jobs. With larger events this is very necessary and requires us to export the information and somehow figure out how to integrate with our own database. Mostly user friendly but with the expense of a paid program I think it should be a bit more sophisticated.

Works for certain scenarios

Pros

I find this easy to use but not as easy to setup.

Cons

Some functionality was missing for what I needed to do within our organization.

Great customer service

Good customer service and quick response. Easy to understand directions but without that I would have given up on using this option for our event to raise money for food banks.

Pros

The customer service was great, otherwise would not have been successful in setting up

Cons

Delete options were not very visable. Navigating the system to find what I needed or get back to the right page was not easily labeled. As of now, I cannot see who signed up to volunteer, just that the slots are filled.

The BEST Volunteer Management Tool

We use VolunteerLocal to sign up volunteers for all our Rose Parade committees, and it allows me to grant permission to the committee leader to reach out to their specific volunteers, which is really great because it gives them some ownership and frees up my time for other projects. I've used it for 5 years now and it fits our needs perfectly.

Pros

So many things: ability to communicate to all volunteers by job or shift, and to provide that capability to sub-users flexibility with the registration page, can be sorted by date or by job ability to add specific details for each job or shift

Cons

I can't think of anything that frustrates me, and they are so responsive when I have a question or suggestion.

VolunteerLocal makes our events easier!

We have two very large events that require over 100 volunteers for each day of the event. VolunteerLocal makes it much easier to keep organized. It's great to be able to have more than one administrator have access since we usually have more than one person heading up our volunteer teams. Communication is key and keeping everyone updated is much easier with VolunteerLocal.

Pros

Having an online portal for volunteers to sign up on is much easier to maintain than trying to keep all the many volunteers information on a spreadsheet. Plus, being able to communicate with volunteers through the website is an added bonus. It's great to be able to see exactly what jobs are being fulfilled and what you still need to get volunteers for too.

Cons

It does take some time getting the jobs and schedules set up, but it's time well spent in the end.

Love VolunteerLocal

VolunteerLocal makes it easy to manage our 1,000+ volunteers working at the National Catholic Youth conference. The software is great and the support from the VolunteerLocal team is outstanding?

Pros

Ease of use, ability to build a complex volunteer team and time slot structure, and ability to communicate from the software to our volunteers.

Cons

We have had really good experiences with VolunteerLocal over the last few years. The things we don't like have always been addressed.

We love using volunteer local

We are able to cut down on the about of time it takes to manually confirm positions with volunteers. We also love that we are able to run reports to show available and full positions with their color coding. It makes communicating with volunteers much easier than in the past.

Pros

The ability of volunteers to schedule, change and delete shifts on their own.

Cons

Would like an app to go with the software.

Volunteer Local for Hopscotch Music Festival

I use it every year. I like keeping volunteer info in a secure place that I can use to keep n contact throughout the year. The pricing model is great for a small festival (300 volunteers) that happens once a year. Many online tools just don't scale down to our level and VolunteerLocal delivers and includes great customer service!

Pros

I like the scale-ability for a festival our size. Once a year and simple shifts require simple solution and you deliver. The site has been very stable. I am able to organize over 300 volunteers over 3-4 days single handily.

Cons

One request would be an iOS based app for the manager, not just volunteers.

VolunteerLocal meets all our needs

We manage over a thousand volunteers during a 3-day event, recruiting them in the 3 months prior each year. With the help of this software, one volunteer coordinator is able to handle all the needs of our volunteers on a part-time basis. The VolunteerLocal team has always been able to help me get they system set up for the next year quickly and easily. They have resolved any issues I've raised within a day or so. I couldn't ask for better service.

Pros

I like the flexibility of this software to handle unlimited volunteers in many different jobs and shifts. I also like that we can communicate directly with specific groups of volunteers - eg all those in a particular shift or job, and download lists of volunteers for almost any purpose. I also love that each year, we can copy over everything we set up for the previous year, which makes it very quick to get going. I appreciate that the sales and service is handled by just a few key staff who understand the product very well, so I can build a relationship with them and get quick answers to my questions.

Cons

We've been using this software for a few years now, and most of the issues we came across were fixed quickly. The only ongoing issue has been an inconsistency of fonts and sizes of text on the integrated part of our website and in some outgoing emails, and VolunteerLocal has fixed those as needed.

Office Manager

This will be our 3 year using this program and the experience has been essential in helping us maintain our volunteer needs. We can identify the positions to be filled, the tasks and responsibilities associated with those positions, the shifts and times we need to fill and at a glance can tell where we have holes in each position that need to be filled. Historically, it has helped us identified activity patterns and this allows us to use our volunteers more effectively.

Pros

The site is really easy to use and captures the amount of detail we need for our 200 + volunteers and the individual jobs that we need filled during the Rally. Since we have been using Volunteer Local there has never been a downtime for accessing the system which spells reliability to us and that is important. On the rare occasion I need assistance, the support staff a Volunteer Local have always been extremely responsive, understand the issue almost immediately and take corrective action or provide assistance the same day. I highly recommend this program to any organization who utilizes volunteers to get the work done.

Cons

I can't really offer a con - every time I have come upon a challenge that I can't resolve, the support staff are a phone call or email away to resolve the issue.

Why I recommend Volunteerlocal.com

I recommend this service whenever I can. It's very helpful when collecting volunteers and communicating instructions and details. We use the program for more than just events - we sign up staff members and volunteers for training and have used it to schedule staff interviews too. It's an effective way to decrease the number of times you have to say or email a detail or instruction.

Pros

Ease of use and support. Volunteer Programmers hear from 100's of volunteers a day, especially when recruiting for an event. Sending the link with instructions and confirmation has significantly reduced the number of calls and emails I have to send with the same message. The communication tool is my favorite feature - that and the password protection for certain volunteers roles.

Cons

Would be nice to have an easier way to archive. There a few too many steps.

VolunteerLocal helps us manage an annual 2-week event with 24 hour shifts of 100+ volunteers

This is the best online signup app I found. Key is that it is EASY for the volunteer and there is no need for remembering Yet Another Password. Our volunteers just use their email. And there's a nice smartphone app for the volunteers. The backend is pretty intuitive and powerful. I have managed a large church event that runs 2 weeks with 24 hour shifts for the last 10 years. I have used google forms & spreadsheets to manage most of the years. The past 2 years I have used VolunteerLocal and decreased my workload at least 75%! I would highly recommend this useful app.

Pros

Once I developed the over 400+ event jobs/shifts for our annual church event, I could simple *COPY* the whole event the next year and update the START and END times...Voila! We were ready to go again I loved the export ability so I could create custom reports for different job coordinators as their teams filled out.

Cons

We could only afford the first tier subscription so I could not SAVE reports, but had to create them each time I wanted to run them. (Not difficult, just time consuming) All jobs are shift centric. There isn't a position-type job (ex: Job Planner/Coordinator) that has no explicit start/stop shift. We need that for volunteers who signup to help plan/coordinate the other volunteers in general.

Volunteer Local a.k.a. Volunteer PERSONAL

Personable service (although sometimes it takes time for a response). Especially nice to feel you actually know me, my organization, my specific quirks. I love all the things the VL program can do to stream-line my job. This year my working hours decreased while my volunteer roster increased!

Pros

Fairly logical program, stream-lines my job immeasurably. I especially like the automated (pre-scheduled) responses to volunteers. What a load off my desk!

Cons

Sometimes I work from home, late at night. Wish I could call customer support when the spirit strikes me!!

Volunteer Local

Pros

Volunteer Local gives the volunteers control over when and where they would like to volunteer. They are able to add friends which is great and if something comes up they can also cancel their shift. All of this greatly reduces the amount of time my team spends on the phone and talking to potential volunteers. I also love the email feature and birthday notification.

Cons

It does not integrate with our organisations CRM and the label printing function does not work with the volunteer name tags we use. However, these are small things and the benefits of using Volunteer Local definitely out weigh these little things.

Volunteer Local is AMAZING

We put on events every year with, but our biggest event, the Navajo rug show, is our biggest event. We always struggled with our volunteer sign up. Now that we have VL, we are so happy. It makes sign up a breeze. And then let's talk about how GREAT their customer service. The support team has helped out Adopt a Native Elder over the years and we would be nowhere without them. I sing them (and VL) praises all the time!!

Pros

The ease of use with which we can set up an event and staff it easily and accurately. When we first started using it, the software was easy to figure out and even made us think of more things we could use it for. The features are endless, and it is a GREAT value for any event.

Cons

Nothing...there is absolutely nothing wrong with this software. IF there ever was something that I didn't understand, one call to customer support (and the support team) gave me the answer.

Wonderful people, AMAZING product!

If you're not using VolunteerLocal, you should be! This product has been so perfect for our small nonprofit. I went from sending at least 5 emails back and forth between a potential volunteer and trying to manage a 150-column, 5-page spreadsheet (and that's on legal paper) to simply copying and pasting the link and letting volunteers do it themselves! I can easily pull weekly reports to track our recruitment progress and send emails out when needed! Couldn't ask for a better product and so proud to call them a part of our Des Moines community.

Pros

VolunteerLocal features a simple, user-friendly interface with features even in the free version that you have to pay for with every other online volunteer system (unlimited jobs, shifts, volunteers!). You can define what information about each volunteer you want to receive, set maximums for each position, and copy jobs and shifts so you don't have to recreate the wheel for similar events. Features...

Cons

Haven't found one yet!!

Great addition to our volunteer program

I use this software with a wide range of age groups. People can access event information and sign up for volunteer positions without having to send me a personal email. In this day and age, having an easy signup page is really important. I give my volunteers the option of registering personally with me or to using Volunteer Local. Having these options appeals to more types/ages of people and my volunteers like that.

Pros

This software is easy for my volunteers to use. I can send them a link and all they have to do is check which job/shift they want and type in their name and email. I have a number of volunteers who are not good with technology, so this is very important. I also like that it sends them an email with their shift information right away. I like that I can put lots of detail about the event and each job position so volunteers have access to enough information to make a good decision. I like that I can add volunteers myself, if they choose to email me instead of use the VolunteerLocal page.

Cons

The layout of screens and links when setting up an event is not always intuitive. It isn't always easy to find what I am looking for.

North America's Largest Cross Country Ski Race uses Volunteer Local!

The software is so easy to use! Which translates into the ease of coordinating 3500 year-round volunteers, and knowing at-a-glace what areas need attention, makes my job a lot easier.

Pros

I love the ease of use, the great features - like password protection and the communication tools.

Cons

Does not include the "members" as recipients of messages sent out by me/the admin, in areas they manage.

Reviewed Many other sites... ease of use was key!

We have 3-4 day events with hundreds of volunteers. We needed something easy for them to sign-up on, but robust enough for us to track data. We didn't need to a lot volunteer tracking over the course of time...so this was a great fit!

Pros

I had been asked to review the volunteer management sites out there (found a great list of 'all' of them, or at least most). I narrowed it down to 5 and signed up for free accounts. VolunteerLocal was the first to respond to the fact that I signed up for an account, and were certainly much better than the other sites at working with me, understanding our needs, and letting us know how the website...

Cons

Would love to be able to arrange shifts in the order I want, instead of alphabetical. There seems to be a bit of glitch with location when one is added, but very easy to fix after the fact.

VolunteerLocal has the best customer service I have ever encountered!

We are able to organize and track all of our volunteers from our events across Canada!

Pros

The software is very user friendly and it has all of the features we need to manage our volunteers. We are the largest fitness education provider in Canada and we host events from coast to coast. VolunteerLocal allow us to manage all of our events with ease. The support of the team is amazing she is able to help me with every request to make our events run smoothly.

Great company

The convenience for us and our volunteers to sign up. Our volunteer program was recently highlighted at our conference in DesMoines. Part of the presentation was that we used your program and how much we like it.

Pros

The convenience and ease of how to use it.

Cons

When it needed to be updated. That could have been handled better.

VolunteerLocal... I would not run an event without it.

Historically, the job of volunteer coordinator is a labour-intensive, time-consuming job. VolunteerLocal is a transformational tool... not only for securing volunteers, but to recruit a volunteer coordinator.

Pros

Single purpose software solution that: ~ is based on the key features of self-registration and self-scheduling ~ has a very reasonable entry level price point ~ is simple to use, yet provides good user flexibility ~ provides excellent and timely support ~ our volunteers love to use!

Cons

Can't really think of any. It would be helpful to have some type of simple Gantt Chart application to build and modify the projects jobs and shifts. And to be able to PDF so you can add as attachments to the system.

We love Volunteer Local!

We have had nothing but a positive experience with Volunteer Local! After doing a lot of research on similar software, we were happy with our choice to move forward with Volunteer Local as a free service, but found it was more than worth the investment of the paid service as well. Our volunteers always tell me how easy it is to use, too!

Pros

This program is so easy to use for me as an event organizer, and we constantly get comments from volunteers on how easy it is to sign up! Whenever we need a question answered, Volunteer Local is there within minutes to answer it. The team is always great whether we reach out via phone or email.

Cons

We are looking in to adding a few features for our festival next year, but wish a few of these were included in the package (text messaging, password protected jobs, etc.)