Windward System Five Logo

3.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.58/10

Reviews by rating

I like how it is inventory control and accounting integrated into one system. The system has great abilities.
It truly has the ability to accommodate anything I want to do to operation my business more efficiently. System Five is a very user friendly product that is easy to learn and understand.
Great customer service and great software. Can do pretty much everything you need for you business.
Once live, it just got worse and worse. In hindsight, I should have listened to my gut in implementation, written the money invested off as a bad business decision and aborted.
So much stress that my whole team went through only to end up worse off. Before we went live, in my gut I had doubts due to my experience with Windward staff in the lead up transition period.
When we have to call for tech support we have to talk to someone over seas and most of the time our connections are terrible. Hard to hear or understand and calls are dropped.

Kathy H.

The ecommerce support is not 7 days a week unfortunately. Otherwise a great software and support.

I thoroughly reviewed 4 different POS software systems prior to making a purchase. It was important to choose the software that would grow as my business grew. Out of the POS systems available at that time (6 years ago) this was the best to fit the needs of my business then and into the future. Now, 6 years into it, this has proven to still be the best choice. It has allowed us to continue with the same software system as the business has grown and evolved.

Pros

It fill all of our needs as a retail store as well as a webstore. It integrates both of those nicely. The accounting and the POS in one system is a great way to run a business.

Cons

In my business it would be useful to give employees access to a variety of information screens. Windward does allow this to some extent, but not to the extent that makes it practical in our situation. Which sometimes forces me to give people access to confidential information which they don't need in the coarse of their job.

JS

Justin S.

From your friends at Bob's

Windward 5 does so much above and beyond the POS/accounting systems I have used in the past, and I know I haven’t made it through all it has to offer. The integrated CRM is very useful for keeping track of appointments and follow ups. I’m able to see that staff has made these appointments and keep them accountable for follow ups. There is so much that can be done to organize and track inventory. Set...

Pros

Cons

It does take some time to set up, but you do get some great help. There is allot to learn. Be prepared to give this some attention, it will be worth it.

Thanks for the Feedback Justin!

KK

Kezia K.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Updated: By Far The Worst POS I've Ever Used (Support Included)

I have been disappointed, and remain disappointed. I left a similar review a few months ago, and I was contacted by Windward in an effort to improve matters - which I do appreciate - but, unfortunately, that has not been enough to change my perspective on Windward. For myself, the general ease of use does not make up for the incredible amount of problems this software has. I have been working with various POS systems for over 10 years now, and this is the only one that ever inspired me to go out of my way and leave a review, because it's just so consistently problematic. I have been asked directly by the staff at Windward to update my review, and I do wish it had improved in any way, but I am more convinced than ever that there are much better choices out there.

Pros

In comparison to previous software used, the finalization of the inventory process within Windward is rather straight-forward. The ability to print count sheets with only product in stock - no part numbers with a "zero" quantity, is great and saves paper. However, products often randomly shift into categories like 'financial' which causes the item to remain on the inventory count. I have had to request help from support on this multiple times.

Cons

I have used Windward software all day, every week day, for two years now and I consistently encounter issues in day to day operations. I have had problems with the cash out feature not allowing me to finalize the file and close the day; I am constantly getting error messages, or "unplanned shutdown" messages when an unplanned shutdown has not occurred; there are processing issues with rental invoices that cause the invoice totals to change, after the invoice has been finalized and submitted. This specifically has created MAJOR discrepancies on our invoices that has resulted in us to losing money, and having to issue apologies to many of our major accounts. One of these incidents has caused irreparable harm to our business relationship with our (previously) largest customer.

Vv

Victoria v.

Building Materials, 11-50 employees

Feeling Confident

Have learned a tremendous alot this year, in particular about inventory - still a long way to go.

Pros

Overall it has been pretty easy to learn this program

Cons

Some of the reporting features make getting an accurate snapshot of what is occurring in the company a little difficult

Hi Victoria, Thank you for taking the time to write a review! More importantly, thank you for investing time in learning more about how Windward works for your business. We appreciate your comment about reporting. Since there are so many reports available it is sometimes hard to nail down one that works best for you. There's also the option to design your own reports. Here's some info on...

DR

Dwayne R.

Events Services, 11-50 employees

Software is still limited on the rental side.

We started with this software, it is still fairly limited on the rental side but it is costly to change.

Pros

Easy to use for the basic functions of our business such as reserving, renting and returning product. Integrated POS.

Cons

Limited as far as scheduling for logistical planning, very basic and a lot of potential for mistakes, too manual in some respects. Rental reports need to be simplified the variety of reports needs to be expanded. Generally there needs to be more reports that are specific to the rental side designed by Windward that help to identify business opportunities as well as areas the business could improve in.

Hi Dwayne, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. In terms of your experience with the System Five Rentals Module, may we please suggest speaking to your Account Manager at +1 (800) 663-5750 to become registered for The Windward Learning Academy. This comprehensive online resource will provide you with user-friendly tutorials to craft advanced reports as well as to gain access to more detailed Rentals functionality. In addition, please stay tuned for Windward Intelligence, an upcoming System Five enhancement that provides integration with Microsoft Power BI, which will enable our users to run custom reports.

MN

Michelle N.

Retail, 11-50 employees

frustrating! Too many issues way too often

I will have to think about that

Pros

Knowing that you can pretty much always get a hold of someone in support- My all time favorite support person really knows what she is doing and is a very pleasant wonderful personality! It is nice that there are a variety of reports for each department

Cons

The bookkeeping part of Windward - everything is journal entry based and not check book based - The payroll system is Canadian based and is not United States friendly on the forms that need to be done at year end for payroll and the government. Some of the reports don't print dates and other pertinent information on them and if they do you have to click on everthing to just read the notes. Also an awful lot of "errors" that occur and some that never get fixed- it tends to be frustrating! Also having to wait for someone to call you back when there is a urgent issue that needs addressing asap can get frustrating, although you do always get a call back

Hi, Michelle -- thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback relating to your experience with Windward System Five. We're pleased to hear that you are satisfied with our Customer Support team; we ensure that all of our clients are answered by a real person at any time, day or night. In terms of your concerns, we are confident there are in fact methods to overcome your stated issues. We encourage you to please contact your Account Manager at +1 (800) 663-5750 in order to gain access to The Windward Learning Academy. This comprehensive online training resource is easy-to-use and will answer questions related to any type of System Five functionality, including Payroll.

DM

Derek M.

System Five

Service and online capability was not good. While we paid for 24/7 service, we had to setup tickets and would get a call back within 24hrs.

Pros

The built in reports allowed for easily customizing reports. With their "lookup words" it was easy to tag, customers, products and vendors to particular categories for additional reporting

Cons

The online capability. There was no good capability for online. Sales would take a long time to integrate back into the software and there was no direct connection between Windward S5 to the online platform such as WooCommerce. Which meant an additional cost for another API connection. Windward API was very limited to what info could be pushed and pulled from the website.

Hi Derek, Thanks for the feedback. In recent months we've launched the new WebSell integration and have enhanced our WooCommerce connector in an effort to get more of our customers online. This no longer relies on an API. Please reach out to your Account Manager to explore options.

PB

Pat B.

Computer Software, self-employed

In 2009, Windward helped us organize and track merchandise for the first time - big benefit!

Do you mean Windward or Capterra? I already described our Windward benefits in the review. Capterra I hope will help me win the Surface Pro Windward is offering in its contest! ;-)

Pros

Have been a user/admin since 2009, and have been through many upgrades and improvements. It's easy to set up routines to track all incoming and outgoing merchandise and expenses. It seems to integrate well with accounting. You can extensively customize reports and you can easily export files from any report. Software is durable and forgiving; almost never freezes despite robust use from our end.

Cons

Emailing invoices has been problematical over the years. Windward hasn't integrated well with third-party email management software like Outlook and Thunderbird, although this situation may have improved since last I checked (this function is only sporadically my responsibility in the business). Some of our seats/terminals work, some do not. Customer service was baffled. Also, customizing forms can be a little tricky, but we have managed that.

PN

Patti N.

Retail, 1-10 employees

It was difficult to learn as I came into this system with no business background.

Pros

Customer service was excellent, the people at the help desk were patient, kind and skilled in training me on the system and in accounting. It is excellent for tracking inventory, clients and suppliers. The reports are helpful, too.

Cons

Creating forms is difficult as well as some of the terminology. I have difficulty using the help menu because what I look up what I think something is called.

HI Patti, Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of Windward System Five. We're happy to hear that you are pleased with our Customer Service and product functionality. If you have any questions about any type of product functionality and/or need to acquire additional training, please contact your Account Manager and ask them about gaining access to The Windward Learning Academy, our online source of product tutorials, which is free for customers. In addition, we offer complimentary weekly live webinars on a variety of product features; please also ask your Account Manager for more information: +1 (800) 663-5750. All of us at Windward Software look forward to continuing to serve you for many years to come!

Mark M.

WWS5 is a workhorse!

Ease of Use Inventory control Order management Work flow Simplification and tracking Emailing Invoicing Accounting

Pros

Windward System 5 has been a workhorse for our business for over 12 years! We can control our inventory, track special orders, email clients and much more with WWS5. We have been able to grow into this software. There are many features that we are still learning that are simplifying our workload! I highly recommend System 5 to anyone who manages inventory. BTW the reporting capabilities are almost endless.

Cons

It is a little quirky, but the benefits far outweigh the quirks. I wish that it had more web integration or that they would offer cloud based databases.

CM

Colin M.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

I depend on Windward every day for my role in sales and marketing. I couldn't do my job without it!

It's integral to my role in the company. In fact everyone in our company uses Windward on a daily basis. We use it in every aspect of our product based business from order processing, to sales, management, warranty, accounting and inventory management.

Pros

I like the ability to generate custom sales reports so I can see who my top dealer accounts are, and which accounts I need to incentivize. I need to quickly check stock of products in all four of our warehouse locations, and when a product is out of stock, I need to be able to quickly see what's been ordered and when we are expecting it to arrive at our warehouses. In a "just in time delivery" business...

Cons

Like any feature packed program, intuitive menus are critical to accessing all the nuances of the software. Most of power software programs leave something to be desired in the area of intuitive interfaces. Windward is no exception to this. Thus, task specific training modules and quick customer support is of utmost importance to users being able to shorten the learning curve when expanding their knowledge of Windward.

NS

Nicole S.

Windward can't do that, but let's try to come up with a "Workaround" for you....

Headaches

Pros

I like the ability to special order a product on a work order and have it directly linked to the purchase order. Great for tracking an item through.

Cons

INVENTORY!!!! There is no direct link between the inventory sub-ledger and the ledger. There is no transaction list of what is recorded in the sub-ledger, so balancing inventory and determining where an outage may have occurred is a long, tedious process that involves tracking every purchase order received, bill, work order and invoice put into the system. Implementing the software is very time consuming and self-regulated. Enhancements to the software can be requested if your company agrees to pay for the programming time to develop it.

Hi Nicole. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback with regards to Windward System Five. Glad to hear that you are finding our Special Order Tracking feature useful; it's a popular one among many of our clients. In terms of your concerns, upon review, it appears that there are, in fact, methods of solving some of the issues you are experiencing through existing product functionality....

MR

Mike R.

Retail,

Scalable multi-user POS retail from a company that listens and adapts.

Pros

Excellent customer support 24/7. A product that is scalable to your business. One of the few softwares that have a stand-a-lone ability that allow sales and lookup when the main server is offline or unavailable. Inventory orders in cases or singles by multiple suppliers with multiple part numbers and UPC codes for a single item. Capable of printing price tags on the fly when receiving. Easy lookup...

Cons

Back office reporting is probably the weekest area. However, custom reports are available and creatable. If you are looking into any software you should have a list of what you need to know daily, weekly and monthly and have it demonstrated to you. Another area is handling price protection from manufacturers. It is not easy to drop cost on items that receive price protection. It can be done but is time consuming.

MS

Mario S.

Very flexible, comprehensive software package with a somewhat cumbersome user interface.

Pros

the flexibility thanks to various data load and import options, the ability to chain import/exports and call external scripts; detailed permission settings; the numerous features; lots of customisable reports easily ported to spreadsheet or similar.

Cons

- documentation is very fragmented, incomplete and sometimes just wrong. - the user interface is not intuitive and a long way from modern apps. I couldnt convince our sales team to use the tasks/appointment/history-comments section as they found it too complex (but feature wise I think it's good). - the one time we needed support, we received bad advise which would have crippled this company if...

RD

Ronald D.

I have been using Windward System 5 as the Financial Controller for about 18 months

Pros

Windward System 5 is well organized and intuitive for knowledgeable users. It is an extensive system doing just about anything you could want in a business management/accounting system. Reports are extensive and well laid out, and allow you to drill through to the details in most cases.

Cons

It seems plagued with system errors. Not sure if this is just our platform, or if this happens to most users, but we get system errors on a very frequent basis (more than daily). Most are nothing and the system corrects them on its own, but some require more effort, and frequent assistance from Windward Support. Most of the support personnel are very helpful and knowledgeable, so your problems get fixed fairly quickly but they are still a nuisance.

Hi Ronald. Thank you for your positive review of System Five: we're pleased to hear that you find it to be well organized and user friendly. In terms of the system errors that you mention: this could indeed be related to your hardware setup. Please contact your Account Manager at your earliest convenience and discuss whether you have the minimum hardware requirements in place. In addition, if there is a recurring error that is causing you problems, please do let us know what it is and we will investigate to determine if it something we can permanently resolve.

SB

Sylvie B.

Machinery, 1-10 employees

Do not spend your money or time on this Software!

Please ask around to similar businesses and see what they are using - Do not waste your money and your time on this program. When you phone for support -you have to fight for major issues to be fixed. Every year you have to pay a lot of money for renewal and support - and you could be having a know issue that is a programming error but you still have to pay for support to have it repaired

Pros

There isn't much I like about winward. Inventory is okay but not great.

Cons

It is slow. Freezes. We are not a large company but it takes a long time to generate the AP/ AR reports ect. Exporting this to caseware or making you books easy access for your accountant is no existent. Which adds a major expense to a business' year end. Talk to your accountant - if they haven't heard of it - RUN! ( if they have they probably wont recommend it.) Subledger reports will not match Balance sheets: So generating an AR Report the balance will be different than the Balance Sheet. We had issues with our inventory and selling - sometimes it pulls the cost of an item twice -so it would inflate our expenses!

AG

Alex G.

Mining & Metals, 1-10 employees

Best system around if you are willing to put the effort in before you go live, super easy POS side.

Best system I have ever used, to date have implemented this system in 2 businesses. This system has increased speed of transactions and lowered overheads. Best all round system.

Pros

Have put this system in 2 businesses have had no real issues to date that have not been easy to fix. POS is pretty flawless and easy to use. You can report on just about anything. Support staff are fantastic, and implementation was easy. Windward are with you the whole way making sure everything works.

Cons

To date have non, anything that I have ever had an issue with usually stems from user error. There are some processes that I would like to have, and they can absolutely be custom programed, like seeing what items on the invoice are have customer contract pricing, but this does not affect most sales and can be checked other ways. So not really a con just something that my end would be great, more than likely there is a way to do this. I am always learning new things to stream line the process.

JL

Jennifer L.

Retail, 1-10 employees

This software is the most in depth software program we have found.

The best benefit is being able to control inventory.

Pros

It tracks model and serial numbers of appliances for customers and stores the details. Easy to use.

Cons

Set up was a little hard just because you had to create every outstanding work order you already had and every inventory item you have and when you are dealing with appliances, furniture, mattresses, and appliance parts it was a lot to do. The system upgrades and up front costs are somewhat pricey.

Thank you, Jennifer, for taking the time to provide a review of your experiences with Windward System Five; we appreciate your feedback! We are working diligently to provide advanced solutions to ease the initial data load for non-digital records, and continue to provide expert implementation to quickly port data for existing digital records. All of us at Windward Software look forward to continuing to serve you in the future. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact your Account Manager at any time: +1 (800) 663-5750.

JN

JAY N.

Construction, 1-10 employees

IN THE LAST 2 1/2 YEARS OF USING THE SYSTEM I HAVE HAD SEVERAL PROBLEMS!EVEN LOST RECURRING RENTALS

TAX WRITE 0FF, I COULD HAVE USED BETTER !!!

Pros

INVENTORY/ RENTAL SET-UP , PAYROLL AND TIME CLOCK.

Cons

RECURRING RENTALS LOST IN SYSTEM TO WHERE 5 MONTHS OF RENTAL LOST. COST OF THE SYSTEM WAS EXPENSIVE AND AFTER A GLICK IN THE SYSTEM IT COST ME ANOTHER 1500 TO GET IT UP AND GOING AGAIN ! WISH i WOULD HAVE DONE MORE TRIALS WITH OTHER RENTAL SOFTWARE !!!

Jay, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback with regards to Windward System Five. We're sorry to hear that you have concerns with the system. In terms of your lost data, we do regularly communicate to our clients the importance of backing up data. Please note that Windward Software provides Windward System Five on Cloud. The Cloud environment protects your data from being lost at all times, automatically updates your system, and eliminates the need for any type of customer server. If you are interested in learning more about our Cloud solution, please contact your Account Manager at +1 (800) 663-5750.

NB

Norman B.

Retail, 1-10 employees

This software is a good POS system for garden centers and an adequate accounting system.

Inventory Control

Pros

Very fast at the registers - was also fast for cards until recent changes Easy to drill down pretty well throughout the system Good stock control system Easy to export items to Excel

Cons

Often reports don't align ie it produces different numbers depending upon the report you make - it's all fairly mysterious but it's something to do with the integration of the accounting system. Way too many available reports with confusing names, but obvious reports such as what our sales were today / yesterday / last week etc. are either hidden or need a workaround to access. Accounting system seems adequate to me but is hated by my bookkeeper. It was great 7 years ago when we installed it but it hasn't changed much since and I suspect that there are more intuitive systems out there today.

JK

Jonathan K.

Wholesale, 1-10 employees

Great fitting package for our business

System Five has been very good, and their support team is excellent and helpful

Pros

Windward fits us great, the cloud system was a very important consideration for remote accessibility. It covers all of our needs in terms of sales, repair work orders, and inventory controls. It is just the right amount of software for us.

Cons

There are some advance features that could add value for us, such as stock adjustments that post to G/L's, min/max's that make recommendations on PO's

Hi Jonathan, Thanks for the review. You may want to look into the advanced features, they really can be a time saver. Professional Services are available to help you get those implemented. Have a convo with your Account Manager if you'd like to consider that option. Thanks again!

JC

Judy C.

Retail, 51-200 employees

The system is fairly easy to learn and I have been trained on multiple sections of the software.

Sales reports and so on give a great view on how your business is growing

Pros

Many reports are available depending on what you want to keep track. It covers everything from your daily needs to monthly to yearly.

Cons

When updates are done some of the items we have used disappear or are not available with update. Have found some reports aren't accurate.

Hi Judy -- thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We're happy to hear that you found System Five relatively easy to learn and are pleased with reporting functionality. In terms of updates: if you experience any issues at any time, please do not hesitate to contact our customer support line at +1 (800) 663-5750 and a representative will be present to walk you through any issues you are experiencing.

RC

Robert C.

This is a smooth and feature rich software that transformed our business.

Pros

Our ability to drill into items where you should be able to. Having linked PO's direct in the inventory items is essential to tracking when an items was purchased and received. The full functioning GL of this software in nothing less than exceptional and really can give a business owner the feeling of control when operating their business

Cons

I think the most difficult thing with Windward is the learning curve. Reports are sometimes hard to understand at first until you understand them. the XML editor for invoice templates need work, this the most difficult part of the program to use if you are a novice or not tech savvy.

DW

Darrell W.

Best Value

Although the implementation of this solution is a lot of work, I have been through others in the past and this one was not much different. You do have to pay extra if you want them to come on site and help, otherwise you are left to watch videos and meet on the phone/over the PC with them. They did help build out a custom learning curriculum for us and help facilitate the learning for my staff which...

FH

Frank H.

Great Workhorse

Overall, this has been a great money saving tool. But the shortcomings in the software probably has more to do with my understanding and use of the various pieces. I need more education on this software.

Pros

I like the reporting ability and the integration across all departments, jobs and overall robust accounting ability

Cons

STA and Spiff functions dont really work well