RationalPlan Logo

Easy to use and affordable project management software

RationalPlan Reviews

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.65/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

monday-com
bitrix24

It is excellent value for money and the updates just keep rolling in so that I always have the most current version. One of the best software purchases I have ever made - a great investment.
The support from the team was excellent and my overall experience was good and I would recommend it to people who are actually running "manageable" projects.
I was getting an error about having tasks outside the project date range but couldn't find it. It was actually in the Info section for the Estimated Start Date.
Another thing I find bad is when I change tasks duration/resources/manhours. I would kike it to be in "full manual" control if I want.

DA

David A.

Telecommunications, 51-200 employees

Functional, Complete, In Depth, Project Management Software. Very Nice

This is a full featured easy to use Project Management software that helps create a WBS and assign/track resources.

Pros

Rational Plan software is Great! It has Portfolio Management, Dashboard, WBS, Gantt View, and much much more. It has a downloadable Desktop view that syncs with the cloud version. It is very easy to set up and get started. The resource section is is very helpful for assigning tasks and managing projects. I also like the budget/cost features. I also love the controlling feature and work tracking features. I think this software is excellent

Cons

One think I would like to see is the option to use a graphic (Mind Map) view of the WBS. The other item I would like to see is a section for Risk Management.

GP

Gary P.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Excellent program

Pros

Easy to use and lots of detail Looks professional

Cons

Would like to have the ability to link tasks from the middle of a task to the start of another

EW

Elisabeth W.

Ease of Use - Missing Function MULTI

Dear Sirs, I have thoroughly tested your product and found it very intuitive, however especially for a Multiproject plan it is necessary that one and the same ressource (Person) can have different pricing ( e.g. internal/external project/special price project) but is only limited with time per day. I think it would be better to allow a cost change within the project and to eliminate it at the ressource or make the cost more flexible with more prices to choose.

Cons

Thanks for the feedback Elisabeth, this is on the to-do list but I can not commit for a due date yet as there are a lot of things on the server version

JM

John M.

RationalPlan Multi

Project Management has always a balancing act, sometimes taking a great deal of time to accurately schedule projects, manage resources etc... For years we have used MS Project for doing just this. That is until we found RationalPlan, and we haven't looked back. This software is truly a hidden gem. It offers similar power to MS Project, with a simplified layout, client organizing, work breakdown, scheduling,...

BH

Bill H.

Management Consulting, self-employed

Bill's MyReview

I think this is the best project management software for the Mac at an affordable price. It is easy to use with most of the features found in the Microsoft project management softwareI am still wishing for a PERT Chart

Pros

I use this software to help me develop proposals.

Cons

Only thing I miss is the PERT Chart

LO

Leonardo O.

Oil & Energy, 51-200 employees

good but...

It's good value for money but the options to print the Gantt diagram are confused or non existent. There no options to limit the dates for the printing (ie. I want to print form january to september eventhough the Project goes to december), there is no option to copy the diagram to another application, so we have to print in PDF and then copy it, etc. It's not friendly for report elaboration.

Pros

Value for money, does the work

Cons

It's not very friendly, lack of features to ease the elaboration of reports

SK

Sandra K.

Used monthly for 2+ years

Very good software at a reasonable price

I was able to provide it to many people in the organization for a reasonable price, with the assurance of knowing that it incorporates good, solid project management principles.

Pros

It most closely resembles the functionality in MS Project for a fraction of the price. It was obviously created by someone who understands project management, as evidenced by the list of steps on the left side. It supports dependencies, durations, and resource allocations that work together to come up with a completion date.

Cons

Online help documentation is practically non-existent, and the only apparent support is through email.

WM

William M.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Good Software

I have been using this software to develop project plans for my business...its ease of use and its functional capabilities make it a great tool to develop complex (and even simple) project plans and over all management of planning an budgeting. I would highly recommend this software to anyone who wants an alternate to microsoft.... I have been using project management software since 1983 (CPM or critical path project management software even before microsoft project).

Pros

its a great low cost project management tool...

Cons

You should have some prior project management experience to better take advantage of all of the powerful features of this product.

TT

Tarvo T.

Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees

Quite positive

We are using RationalPlan already several years and this tool enable to make project plan quite easy way, unlike MS Project, which require much more ecperience/time. So there is much value for money.

Pros

All needed functionality is there. Easy to learn.

Cons

NOthuing

DW

Dwayne W.

Oil & Energy, 1-10 employees

Rational Scheduling

Does everything I need it to. Does whatever I would be using Micro$oft Project to do but at a price that anyone can afford.

Pros

Does what I need it to. Has the functionality of what I'd use MS Project to do.

Cons

Inability to save directly to native MS Project file format.

BW

Bob W.

Great scheduling software

Pros

This is a great alternative to microsoft project but can still make files that are compatible with microsoft project.

WP

William P.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Best alternative to MS Project or Primevera!

I own a small business and can not afford expensive software so I looked for a while for a scheduling program that would work but wasn't too expensive. I had learned Primevera Project Planner in college but that is an enterprise level program with a hefty price tag. I tried several free programs before I came across RationalPlan. RationalPlan is full featured, easy to use, performs well and is reasonably priced. As with all project planning programs I have tried my only complaint is with the printouts. It's a chore to get the schedule to print out nicely. I'm sure this will improve in future versions and I look forward to using RationalPlan for the foreseeable future.

Pros

Price, ease of use, features, interface.

Cons

Printing difficulties.

DY

Danny Y.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Super easy

I can't belieave how super easy it is to plan out complex projects with this powerful software! I use it for all my projects!

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

Not a lot of functions and ability to customize the layout.

Hi Danny, Please send an email to support@rationalplan.com with the language that you are using and the texts that are missing translation to get them solved. Thank you, Tiberiu Ghioca

RS

Rick S.

RationalPlan was the easiest project planner I could find

I don't need project plans very often. I just want a basic outline and gantt chart with lags of various types. For me, the complex planners on the market are not worth the money or the time to learn. I don't use all the features of RationalPlan, either, but it has worked for me now, and I know I will not outgrow it.

Pros

Is easy to learn and not too expensive

Cons

For a long time, it had a java look to it because they were trying to make a low-cost cross-platform product. But it's getting better.

JS

Jim S.

Excellent

The Rational Plan software is easy to use with a little trial and some questions to support staff. My experience with the RT Support Staff is 1000% based on 100% being perfect. I have a very old Mac that lost its hard drive. When I tried to download RT to the new hard drive it would not load the latest version due to the age of my OS. They went out of their way at no additional expense to me to find a solution that would work on my computer and downloaded it to me --- and they did a special for me to download the latest version. AWESOME SERVICE!!!

LH

Léopold H.

Very happy

I am a Sales Manager for Steelmaking equipment and using notes as an essential software for my organisation. I was looking for software which could link to notes and would be easy to use and efficient as well. After all of them have shown their limits, I have tried Rationalplan for multiple projects and found it so easy to use. I was especially happy to see that it fully works with MS Project files. And for this great software, the price is really afordable. Super, thanks for your great work.

Jeff D.

Pharmaceuticals, self-employed

Excellent alternative to MS Project for small businesses

As a small business, the cost of MS Project is difficult to justify. Rational Plan offers a good value alternative that allows you to create your own Gantt charts and read and edit those created in using MS Project.

Pros

Simple workflow Creates good looking Gantt charts with ease Reliably reads in Gantt charts created by MS Project Allows you to use most of the features for Gantt charts that would expect in MS Project - e.g. Resources free version for Linux (Gold star for this)!

Cons

Isn't a complete replacement for MS Project (but doesn't pretend to be) Lack of Calendar view

CB

Charles B.

Suitable for professional use!

Suitable for professional use!

Pros

Nice multiplatform interface Server allows resources to report their task completion Customer support very helpful and responsive

Cons

No automatic planning based on task's work and resource availability, but it's the only thing missing from MS project, for a fraction of its price Some UI can be counter intuitive, but that's OK

CD

Carlo D.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Complete tool

Rational Plan is a powerful tool for project management, with many features like Gantt Chart, resources allocation, priorities e risks. Complete!

Pros

Many features

FK

Frank K.

Great product

Rationalplan is a great, flexible planning software package. It doesn't have the big brand name on it like MS Project, however, it offers superior performance and more functionality, in particular the possibility to schedule work at a percentage of someone's time - a big gap in that big brand product. Customer support is really good and helpful, with knowledgeable staff.

LB

Luca B.

Wholesale, 10,001+ employees

A nice alternative at Microsoft Project

The only thing about this software is the price. For the rest is a optimal solution for project management.

Pros

Feautures

Cons

Price

CA

Christopher A.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Excellent For Production Scheduling

I purchased Rational Plan after trying all the big web based names because the program is inexpensive and does simple scheduling very simply. I run a small custom architectural metal shop and the program has all the features I need for a simple production schedule including fabrication, external vendor timelines and installs. Being able to add resources and get realistic estimates on delivery dates has been key for me. Thanks!

Pros

Simple and inexpensive

Cons

U.I. is not very polished

EN

Edwin N.

Civil Engineering, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

RationalPlan is a very convenient alternative to the more well-known project planning software.

RationalPlan is so intuitive that I have never had need for customer support since purchase. More effort needs to be put into advertising this software so that more people become aware that they have an alternative to the more well-known software packages which may be too expensive for an individual user. Functionallity is superb.

Pros

Ability to read some common files generated by other common project planning software

JM

Jose M.

My feelings on RatioalPlan

I moved from Microsoft MS Project to Rational Plan because I migrated to MacBook Pro and it was easy to install under OS. I found the Rational Plan very similar to MS Project and very friendly to sue. Kind regards José

RK

Roger K.

Opinion on RationalPlan Multi

It is a good software. It is user friendly and easy to use. It contains the necessary information for project management. I use it instead of MS Project when it is necessary to follow several small projects.