All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

RationalPlan

Easy to use and affordable project management software

RationalPlan Reviews

Reviews Summary

Pros

In RationalPlan, however, the best way is through Reports/More/Gantt, where there are the options to help you to manipulate the image to fit on the size of paper.

Tim S.

Read the full review
It was easy to use and provided the best results. Professor did help but everything seemed easy after this software was started to used in the class.

Sandeep R.

Read the full review
In RationalPlan I am pleased to say that the default is Fixed Units, the changes which do not have an impact on the duration. Customer support I have found is excellent having used it several times.

Tim S.

Read the full review
I have a very old Mac that lost its hard drive. When I tried to download RT to the new hard drive it would not load the latest version due to the age of my OS.

Jim S.

Neil A.

4.4

Found it better than MS Project for project management!

I am using Rational Plan as a MS Project substitute and have greatly benefitted by all its features. It helped me manage the tasks better.

Pros

It is web-based and has better compatibility among different OS, it has similarbut better features than MS Project which include task and Gantt Chart features that the executives work with want to see. It integrates with Outlook, so tasks can be emailed to responsible staff. The export to PDF is great for sharing a snapshot of all the tasks in the entire project along with the Gantt Chart.

Cons

while exporting to Excel,it loses the formatting. There's no way to set up emails on tasks that are late. The main way to track tasks is by manually entering the percentage of work completed.

Not sure what product you are using but in the latest version of RationalPlan Cloud it is implemented the late task notification. Just make sure it is activated from the Administration area. Resources can also track their tasks in the My Assignments area by entering their individual actual work and the percentage completion will be automatically computed by the application. Regarding loosing format when exporting to Excel we would appreciate some detailed feedback in order to improve it. Just drop us an email to support.

Everyday essential tool

Rational plan has helped to transform the way that we run our manufacturing operation. Our facility has a real mix of make to order and long term forecast demands being placed on equipment. There are several additional and variable constraints that make capacity planning software consistently fail. To overcome any lack of visibility from failing to plan we have found no greater tool than the simple flexibility, and ease of use that comes with Rational Plan.

Pros

Cons

The ability to lose information when closing down

Franklin Automation

We have not gotten to the point yet where we are utilizing the resource management tools, but given that we are typically managing 3 - 4 projects at any given time this is definitely the goal. What would be most beneficial at this time is to have some way of entering and accumulating data. Currently I have to set-up project spreadsheets with all of my cost codes down the left margin and dates across the top so that I can enter time sheets and accumulate hours for each job cost code for all projects. With the accumulated sub-totals I can then update my Gantt charts on Rational plan from time to time. It would be great if I could enter this time sheet data directly into Rational Plan instead of having to create and update these summarizing spread sheets.

Pros

1. Inexpensive 2. Relatively easy to learn 3. Good customer support

Cons

1. cannot enter raw data; has no way of accumulating time in a given cost code 2. some of the options are confusing (e.g. "always keep assignment units as set" and "try to keep the work when changing resources"...what do these mean???

RationalPlan can export to a spreadsheet by simplg going to File/Data export menu. The " keep the work when changing resources" option is a Project Management option which indicate the application to recalculate duration of a task when adding resources for example so to keep the amount of work constant

Very Effective Project Management Tool

I work with a lot of different customers and am constantly importing and exporting project plans (converting from MS Project). RationalPlan allows me to effectively and efficiently work with the plans in this mixed environment. I find it an essential tool for my business.

Pros

It is a native Mac program that imports and exports MS Project files efficiently.

Cons

I have had some issues over the years with specific bugs. But to their credit, RationalPlan has always been quick to respond with a resolution to the issues. I still seem to have some issues with the printing format and how it handles logos.

Great project management software.

My partner and I build large custom homes. By using RationalPlan, we can queue the subs and make the entire process go more quickly. It is a great tool, but like any tool, you have to use it. It is not magic.

Pros

Intuitive. Easy to learn. Many features (some I have not explored yet).

Cons

I have not figured out how to have a couple of projects open at the same time. Also have not figured out how to sort entries.

Great for Multiprojects

Pros

the collaboration on this software is bar-none. We just finished our free trial and we will definitely be purchasing. Cannot wait to learn more and get access to all of the features.

Cons

I have no cons about RationalPlan at this time.

Good alternative to Project

I have been RationalPlan Multi for several years now. I find it to be a good alternative to MS Project. I have little issue with importing project files that others have worked on. My issue is that it will only save files back out in Project XML format instead of .mpp format. This does make collaborating with others using MS Project difficult at times.

Pros

Native to the Mac, good interface and easy to use.

Cons

Does not save files to .mpp

Pros

The software is very easy to pick up. I use this software for smaller project that require professional looking gantt chart but not the bells and whistles of more powerful software like P6. I can very quickly develop a project schedule without issue using this software.

Cons

The software doesn't have the same level of user created support compared to other more popular software like MS project. If I have a problem with MS project I can usually just google the problem and find something on a forum.

Simple tool for project planning and management

If you're looking for ease-of-use project planning and management tool, this can be it! You can manage multiple projects at the same time, be able to estimate the project durations and costs, and assure that you can stay track on your targets.

Pros

We're looking for a software for project planning and we ended up using this application. I find this simple and straightforward for our projects. It allows me to create project timelines, build roadmaps (Gantt chart) and other basic functionalities for project planning and management.

Cons

Couldn't think of any. It fulfilled the needs of our small projects.

Solid Project Management Tool

Students who use a macbook and cannot load MS Project need to rely on a solid management tool to perform their scheduling and cost management. It is a lifesaver for those students who rely on a macbook.

Pros

The software follows along the same principles of MS Project that helps my students learn the tool quicker. The compatibility to work along side MS Project likewise helps students that work with Macbooks where they cannot load MS Project to their system.

Cons

The reporting function is not as robust as MS Project.

The Best Planning Software for Linux

I have trialled several planning software applications and have find that RationalPlan is the best I have come across. I am using the Single version, which is free for Linux users, for other OS there is a charge. There is MultiProject version which is not free. Gantt Chart Too many of the software I have looked at is too much like MS Project 2003 which looks very 1980's. Presentation is always...

Cons

Not at all bad for small projects but I am still searching for "the one"!

As a sole-trader consultant I have been searching for an app that enables me to plan and manage projects that sometimes involve other consultants but sometimes just involve me and a whole load of people who are research subjects. After being led close to suicide by some other PM software (too complex, too "techie", only suitable for people who have nothing else in their lives!) I tried the add-on...

My Digital Right Hand

I publish a lot of digital projects. They require detailed planning and ensuring that all the steps are followed. I would be lost without my RationalPlan software, which allows me to first plan the work, and then work the plan time and again successfully.

Pros

Ease of use, and ability to have more than one project plan.

Cons

Rational Plan Better Supports Compliance Agility Than MS Project.

I'm not patience enough to jump through all the required configurations with MS Project and was looking for an alternative which was still compatible but better served our hybrid AGILE approach. My first project with Rational Plan let do many of the assumptions my way and help me arrive at project estimate of 18,300 hours . . . I spent less time on the completed plan than my failed attempts with MS Project . . . I'm not an expert with either tool. Isn't it great, I don't have to be to get results.

Pros

Compare with MS project, the flexibility to do it MY WAY is much better.

Cons

With dozens of windows open, it occasionally freezes which requires me to restart the app. Occasionally have to update a recently added line item, but normally retains the recent work when this happens.

Rational plan

Have used Rational Plan now for 3 years, and found it an invaluable tool to assist the business, both with accounting and invoicing

Pros

Cons

Not built exactly for construction industry

Very good project management software for the Mac OS

Pros

It is easy to work with. I can import MS Project files easily and work with them. Easy to setup project. It is also easy to integrate and manage multiple projects. Scheduling and tracking of tasks is also a plus with this product.

Cons

The inability to save straight out to MS Project format is an issue. I also have had issues with report and email templates. Updates frequently are not "flushed out" before they are released which sometimes breaks basic features temporarily.

Rational Plan Multi and single

Rational Plan has been an invaluable tool. With the right amount of features for our everyday business needs. Its laid out very clean and easy to navigate. There may be more powerful software out there, but they come with complexity, tedious data entry and often very time consuming to maintain. For us its a balance between what we need and will use. Rational Plan fits the bill perfectly, it also comes...

Functional, Complete, In Depth, Project Management Software. Very Nice

This is a full featured easy to use Project Management software that helps create a WBS and assign/track resources.

Pros

Rational Plan software is Great! It has Portfolio Management, Dashboard, WBS, Gantt View, and much much more. It has a downloadable Desktop view that syncs with the cloud version. It is very easy to set up and get started. The resource section is is very helpful for assigning tasks and managing projects. I also like the budget/cost features. I also love the controlling feature and work tracking features. I think this software is excellent

Cons

One think I would like to see is the option to use a graphic (Mind Map) view of the WBS. The other item I would like to see is a section for Risk Management.

Excellent program

Pros

Easy to use and lots of detail Looks professional

Cons

Would like to have the ability to link tasks from the middle of a task to the start of another

An excellent alternative to Microsoft Project

I've been using RationalPlan-Single for close to 6 years now, and am still a huge fan. To me, Microsoft Project is not an option, both from being a Mac user and for the licensing cost, and honestly, I don't need all the bells and whistles. I'm not a professional project manager, but I do need to build WBSes and Gantts on a regular basis, and also sometimes need to open project files sent by customers. Generally speaking, although the interface has its peculiarities, RationalPlan is pretty straightforward to use, and more than enough for my needs. There have been odd glitches in the past (corrupted save files used to be an issue), but those were worked out over time, and I feel the current version is stable and reliable. All in all - enthusiastically recommended.

Pros

Multi-platform Excellent value for the price

Cons

Occasionally clunky interface

RationalPlan Multi

Project Management has always a balancing act, sometimes taking a great deal of time to accurately schedule projects, manage resources etc... For years we have used MS Project for doing just this. That is until we found RationalPlan, and we haven't looked back. This software is truly a hidden gem. It offers similar power to MS Project, with a simplified layout, client organizing, work breakdown, scheduling,...

Good Software

I have been using this software to develop project plans for my business...its ease of use and its functional capabilities make it a great tool to develop complex (and even simple) project plans and over all management of planning an budgeting. I would highly recommend this software to anyone who wants an alternate to microsoft.... I have been using project management software since 1983 (CPM or critical path project management software even before microsoft project).

Pros

its a great low cost project management tool...

Cons

You should have some prior project management experience to better take advantage of all of the powerful features of this product.

good but...

It's good value for money but the options to print the Gantt diagram are confused or non existent. There no options to limit the dates for the printing (ie. I want to print form january to september eventhough the Project goes to december), there is no option to copy the diagram to another application, so we have to print in PDF and then copy it, etc. It's not friendly for report elaboration.

Pros

Value for money, does the work

Cons

It's not very friendly, lack of features to ease the elaboration of reports

Bill's MyReview

I think this is the best project management software for the Mac at an affordable price. It is easy to use with most of the features found in the Microsoft project management softwareI am still wishing for a PERT Chart

Pros

I use this software to help me develop proposals.

Cons

Only thing I miss is the PERT Chart

Very good software at a reasonable price

I was able to provide it to many people in the organization for a reasonable price, with the assurance of knowing that it incorporates good, solid project management principles.

Pros

It most closely resembles the functionality in MS Project for a fraction of the price. It was obviously created by someone who understands project management, as evidenced by the list of steps on the left side. It supports dependencies, durations, and resource allocations that work together to come up with a completion date.

Cons

Online help documentation is practically non-existent, and the only apparent support is through email.

Select your country

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.