Tick Reviews

4.48/5 (1,162 reviews)

Rob Hewitt

Switching from Toggl to Tick

Reviewed 2017-04-18

We made the move to Tick because Toggl didn't provide an easy way to track the progress of a project or task. With Tick, we're able to see this, to an extent, while tracking time. However, this only shows up *after* you've "entered" time. So, there isn't a way to view the "estimated" time budget, factoring in the timer that's currently running. It would be a huge, AMAZING, help to be able to see this in REAL time is not at the end of the day, when I've submitted my timers and have already gone over time budget by several hours. Additionally, Toggl has a desktop app that works really well¿and is native. Tick's app isn't really an app at all, it's a "mini browser" that refreshes every time you open it from the taskbar. Sometimes I'm naming a timer, and a notification pops up and closes Tick, or I need to navigate away for a second, and when I come back, it refreshes¿losing all of my information. Toggl's desktop app also reminds you to track time, when your timer isn't running, during user designated hours (ie between 9:00am and 6:00pm, if I don't have a timer running it'll remind me periodically to remember to track time). In general, Tick's design is mediocre at best. If it wasn't for the easier-to-view time budget feature, we wouldn't be using Tick in fact we're considering switching because of the lack of other features. A redesign is long over due. Another down fall of Tick, is the fact that time can't be inputted based on time of day. For example, I forgot to start my timer after lunch, but I know I started working around 1:00 pm and then switched tasks around 2:48, and then switched back at 3:32 noon of which was logged. It would be much easier to log time-based on hours of the day, like Toggl does. But in other circumstances, it's helpful to be able to just put in a specified amount of time. Plus, the hours of day allow us to track our employees and see exactly when during the day they weren't clocking time. This is especially helpful with remote employees. In fact, before we switched to Toggle, I was able to find out that an employee wasn't really working when he said he was, or was padding their numbers. But, with the current Tick setup this is nearly impossible to pin-point. If you guys want to consider a redesign, we'd love to work with you. Check us out: www.steadfastdesignfirm.comTime budget tracking right in the time tracker.

Alan Knox

I type in my time at the end of each day. I have never had any issues.

Reviewed 2018-01-18

I almost always have the project name in my head - being able to autofill rather than browse keeps my mind from being interrupted. The same goes for the task - autofill beats browsing all the time, but it's great to know I have browsing were I to need it (1 time out of 20). The way each entry saves in an inline container all on the same page has always been helpful. I take shorthand notes on paper throughout the day of my time rounded to the quarter hour. Seeing everything at once helps me to confirm I didn't miscalculate hours.

Robert Sronce

Where have you been all my career, Tick?

Reviewed 2017-04-28

Allows me to track my time quickly and easily. Saves time while making me look like a genius.Where do I begin? Tick saves me an immense amount of time *and* it makes me look good doing it. Time sheets used to be druggery. Always playing catch up at the end of the week (or even end of the month!). The project management software I was using was a clunky solution at best. Other time tracking software was too expensive or was part of a larger ecosystem I had to buy into. Tick is an elegant stand-alone solution that does one thing really well - track time allotted, time billed, and time remaining. The key for me has been the Chrome extension. It's right there so I can make an entry or start a timer while I am working without opening another tab or using another app. And time entry is really easy with the intuitive and responsive UI. I really appreciate the list of recent tasks that quickly populate the time entry. Tick also allows me to quickly see where I am on my budgets and give answers on labor budget remaining. No more "let me get back to you," It's right there and because I now enter time on the fly, its always up to the minute. Tick can produce quick reports by company, project, and task. My clients have been impressed with the professional and detailed time reports. I can also pull out the time entries and feed them into my project management app and my spreadsheets. It's quick and painless.

Frankie Alford

Tick Overall Review

Reviewed 2016-12-07

Tick is a great add-on for Basecamp. It provides an easy way to enter time for different projects. We use it in conjunction with Basecamp II. It is super easy to import your projects and add different tasks. i.e. For our projects, we assigned tasks such as Construction QC, Construction Engineering, Indirect Time, Meetings, PTO, Training, etc. Easy user interfaces to select project, select task and enter the time completed. It also exports to excel in which it was easy to retrieve the data and add to pivot tables to graphically view where time is being spent. It used to have a great timer app for the computer or cell phone but security concerns with Basecamp shut it down for Basecamp II. Not sure if it's been added to Basecamp III. Great value for up and coming businesses and with the export capability can prepare for bigger platforms. Ease of use.

Mike Greiner

Great For Time Tracking Across Several Projects

Reviewed 2017-04-18

I work a job where I need to keep track of what I am doing across several projects all at once. Tick has been a lifesaver since our company switched over to using it. I love being able to run timers and switch between jobs and just keep running timers during the day. The interface is also simple and easy to use, without all the extra clutter that I don't need t be bothered with. Being able to easily look back at years worth of historical projects has been great when it comes to bidding new one. The only thing I don't like is how I can no longer use the Adobe Air Desktop app, which would leave floating timers on the screen as a reminder. Having it up on my desktop was a nice reminder to manage my time, as I often forge the small taskbar timer is there. I also wish I could assign a default task template for all jobs, which would just make life a little easier. Highly recommend. Great value for what you pay for.Easy of use, simple time tracking

Shelley Steigerwald

Seamless & simple

Reviewed 2017-04-18

I live and die by Tick. The basecamp integration sold me initially, but I since moved off basecamp for PM and continue to use Tick for time tracking and recording details for invoicing clients. The accounts and projects are flexible and easy to set up. The application for Mac and Chrome are great for my standard workflow, and the mobile app is helpful when i forget to turn off the timer on my computer. It's all seamless. I have subcontractors who use it too, and all the timecards roll up to the correct projects. I recommend this app to any independent consultant or small agency I come across. It's simple, flexible, and works really well across devices.

Emil Grecian

Convenient, but with Help

Reviewed 2016-12-14

For backstory, my team is gauging how long certain tasks take to better forecast where people should be assigned and when to start tasks. I'm used to keeping track of my hours and time spent per task for freelance work and have made a spreadsheet where I can enter the start and end time of a task, get the total HH: work sheetMM spent, and then it convert it to Decimal Hours through formulas. I also made a worksheet space for tasks that I stop and start throughout the day, so the decimal hours are added up in a range for Total Decimal Hours for a task. My team find the stopwatch function useful and prefer to use that. I also mentioned my spreadsheet during a meeting and earned a collective groan, but I suspect it's because I make spreadsheets for EVERYTHING. I have not had to contact Customer Support, and I don't feel qualified to say whether or not Tick is a good value. I have also not used the Projects or Reporting tabs, as I have only checked times into Tick. I like the Recently Used sidebar for easy time logging. I had to re-do three weeks of entries and the Recently Used sidebar was definitely a lifesaver in that situation. It also makes checking into tasks much easier after the first entry. I really like the comments section as well. My team lead showed me the narrative I had constructed around a task because of the comments I had entered.

Kyle Kerley

Easy to use but painfully slow

Reviewed 2017-04-18

I'm not sure if it's due to the very large number of projects/tasks we have at my company, but Tick has gotten slower and slower over the months, taking sometimes as long as 30 seconds for the time entry fields to populate with the associated project/task information when clicking a recently-used item from the sidebar. Aside from this, it's great! Simple, pretty interface that's very straightforward and easy to understand and navigate.The simplicity is the best thing about Tick. We also use Liquid Planner and it is so bloated and confusing, seemingly only for the sake of being bloated and confusing. Tick is a welcome, refreshing sight to behold at the end of the day when entering time.

Stan Yordy

My company uses this just to track time spent on various projects and it works pretty well for us.

Reviewed 2017-04-28

Time tracking that we can't do anywhere else on our existing project systems.Works on via the web as well as software installed on Mac or PC. For a company like ours who use a variety of browsers and operating systems, this seems to work the same for everyone. My preference is the web interface as it allows me to enter time as I'm doing it, ahead of time, or after the fact. I use the widget on the Mac side to provide regular reminders to log my time, which is the kick in the tush I usually need.

Jason Wiggins

I have already recommended it to others.

Reviewed 2017-03-17

Over the course of the past 16 months or so that I have been using the software it has been very dependable. The feature that allows a user to pick tasks from previous jobs has been a big time saver during job set up. Tick is flexible enough to keep up with the varying needs of my large corporate as well as agency clients, each with their own unique way of keeping track of time. If you work with subcontractors, it's great being able to add and remove people on the fly without incurring additional charges. I chose this platform over others because the fees are based on the number of jobs, not the number of users. The more jobs you have in the system, the more you pay. That being said $49 a month for more than 10 jobs per month does seem a bit high. That is the same amount I pay Adobe for their entire Creative Cloud. Think about all the R&D and decades that have gone into the full suite of Adobe products. I only pay Microsoft $10 per month. But even at that price, I would still recommend it. I was on site at an agency and the creative director saw it on my computer and thought it was great.Pricing based on Jobs. Picking up tasks from previous jobs. The desktop and iPhone apps.

Beth Bennett

Sturdy foundation - ready for upgrade.

Reviewed 2017-04-18

Tick is fine- we use it in our company fairly easily. Can't complain. But I really think Tick is missing an opportunity. Everyone hates entering time. We're a busy company and it's really the last thing we want to do. The process is always like pulling teeth. There's no real reason aside from the fact that daily admin work is not exactly the strong suit of creatives. But, I think what would make Tick boom is some slick gamification. When FourSquare was still a thing, people in our company used to get to work early if only to keep their mayor status. It was a competition. If you could do the same badge system for time tracking (without compromising the actual tracking of time). Your platform would sell like hotcakes.Does an efficient job at aiding in time tracking.

James Miller

Tick Review

Reviewed 2017-04-18

I use Tick everyday. It's great for our team. Helps us keep track of billable hours and sub-tasks within major jobs. At first I used Tick via the web, but have since moved to using the Mac app. I love the app, but the one thing I don't like is that when a timer is running it only displays hours and minutes. I think if it displayed seconds it would be more of an indicator that you have a timer currently running. There have been numerous times I've had to switch gears, focus on something else, and forgot about my running timer. It's mostly a human error, I know, but I think some UX change (maybe a change to the white timer indicator in the status bar to a pulsing glow?) to help keep in mind that a timer is running would be great. Overall, great product! Simple, user friendly with a clean design.

Travis Auerbeck

Pretty good time recording software.

Reviewed 2017-04-24

Have been using tick with my company IDL Worldwide for sometime now. It has proven to be a valuable tool in keeping track of our billable time. Things to consider if you haven't already implemented them. Have a calendar view along side the week view to input time. Sometimes when going back to previous entry's it becomes hard to look back at older time entry's. Also it becomes cumbersome when I need to input the same entry for multiple days simultaneously, it seems i can't do that and have to still input day by day. I would love to see an option of selecting multiple days to input time, not that it would be a massive time save in entering our time, but speed increases in entering time and further progression with ease of use is always needed! Thanks Much, -Travis AuerbeckPretty user Friendly and easy to navigate.

Jason Corgiat

Does what it's supposed to quite well

Reviewed 2017-04-18

Tick time tracking software may not be the most sexy, or have the most bells and whistles. That said, it does what it says it will do very well and is the only time tracking software to support recurring retainers without any screwing around. That said, there used to be a desktop app that worked great but was abandon for a chrome extension. The desktop app was much better and didn't rely on your choice of browser. All in all, it's a reliable software that is easy to use and doesn't overpromise what it is. Easy time tracking, recurring retainers, solid reporting options.

Alan Mendel

VP of Sales, Marketing & Strategic Consulting

Reviewed 2017-04-19

Very easy to use internally and with contractors. I wish it would enhanced to allow entry of role specific rates for each project and then a report to show gross project profitability each week, month, quarter etc. This would seem to be easy to add and would provide us much benefits.Low cost, easy to use time sheet entry and reporting online tool

Mandy Schnittker

TICK makes our office tick!

Reviewed 2017-01-20

Our office has been using TICK for nearly a year now and I can honestly say, the program has greatly improved our productivity. While not a favorite task, tracking time is a must in an agency atmosphere. We enter time to ensure WE are being productive and to allow for accurate client billing. And we love that we don't even have to wait until the month is over to see how we are doing. TICK makes us tick for several reasons. We enter how much time we think we should spend on each client project, and then as time is tracked, we can instantly see our firm¿s monthly progress. When problems are identified mid-month, we can reallocate time within a client¿s project or to another client. We also like to be able to measure our team¿s overall productivity and individual staff member¿s workload or productivity. This is the only way to measure our profit and loss, and to plan for future staffing needs. One suggestion for improvement would be re: reporting. We find some of the features to be a bit clunky. It would be helpful to be able to customize reports. And running a retroactive report showing the percentage of time used, even if it was over the allotted budget, would be a nice feature. Easy to use

Kevin Harkness

Effective and Simple Time Tracking

Reviewed 2017-04-24

The best part about Tick is that it's simple. It focuses on time tracking and makes it super easy to add and track hours to projects. It's helpful that we can plug our Tick accounts into our Basecamp projects and have timelines synced up. Tick allows us to keep track of our hours and keep our projects on budget. I would definitely recommend Tick to any project managers or teams need to keep tasks within budget.It's very simple to use. Employees can be easily trained to start using it in only a few minutes and project managers can easily grasp how to track their projects.

Daniel Petrino

Very Useful, But Could Use Updates

Reviewed 2017-04-18

I use Tick almost every day. It works very well overall. Nice and organized. But from a UX perspective, could use improvement. We have many projects in our project menu. It is often hard to navigate quickly to the one I need. If the layout displayed all projects, or had the a "most recent" filter, it would save so much time. Maybe an icon or color based system would better suit multiple projects. One big challenge is remembering what you have worked on during a day. Especially if you've been on multiple project. An different idea would be adding a timer that is liked to a calendar. Or some way to clock in real time, how much time you spent on a timer that the user could initiate. Just some thoughts. It is accurate

Kimberly Purlia

Perfect for my Business Type

Reviewed 2017-04-24

As a consultant and program/project manager, I can easily document client specific data and provide a detailed status report for invoicing. The client has a clear view of the actions and work performed; and how the time/performance aligns to their program goals. We also use the reporting aspect to document project risks and gaps, and are able to detail out how these risks/gaps easily measure the performance to project outcomes.Easy to use, easy to create reporting; easy to track project hours, resources, and funding.

William Schindhelm Georg

Great solution, just hard to remember

Reviewed 2017-01-20

I generally love the concept of keeping track of time... after all, it's the modern workplace's most important asset. The product features are great: not too many features, just the ones that are really critical for me and my organization. I do feel however, that it's hard to build a habit around it. I'm currently working on several business development activities and priorities change all the time. I mostly "do my Tickspot hours" once or twice a week and it's really hard to remember what I worked on, say, on Monday. I know the timer feature and I have used it a few times, but I feel it's easy to forget to switch to a new task when someone comes to my desk and asks me to reprioritize activities. You just get caught in a moment and totally forget about Tick's timer. Having said that, if there's a way to integrate with Dropbox (i.e. knowing which folder/file I'm working on and associating those to a project), that would be GOLD to me ;)MacOS app on my bar Helping me keep track of time and knowing how much time it takes me to perform X

CINDY LESPERANCE

An Indispensable Tool for a Freelancer

Reviewed 2017-04-18

As a freelance writer who regularly bills by the hour, I don't know how I would manage without Tick. It is super easy to track time, edit projects - I always have multiple projects going simultaneously - and run reports when it's time to get invoices out. I especially love the stopwatch feature. My one qualm is that it isn't easy to delete old projects. I suppose this is a safety measure, and it's not a big deal to live with.Stopwatch feature

Allison Hopkins

A clean, simple and easy to use platform

Reviewed 2017-04-18

Tick was an extremely easy, clean, simple platform for me to use to log my hours at a specific job. It was easy for my employer to review the process of documenting my hours, as well as making changes to my timesheet later on. It was very convenient that it was a platform I could use at work and at home if adjustments needed to be made on non-work days. I enjoyed getting updates from Tick each week about the hours I logged - this helped keep me accountable and sure that I was properly logging my hours! I would recommend the platform to businesses and employees alike. The software was extremely easy to use as an employee. I liked that I was easily able to make an adjustment to my timecard when needed, and was easily able to communicate changes on Tick to my employer. It was easily accessible at work and from home. I was able to easily see the layout of my hours. The reports made it simple to separate the logging of hours for each project I works, which helped me fill out my additional spreadsheets needed for payday.

Melissa Gutierrez

Tick for work

Reviewed 2017-04-04

My company uses Tick for hourly employees. I'm no longer an hourly employee so I technically don't need to use Tick anymore, but I still do because it's simple and really helps me stay on top of my hours. I enjoy the Chrome extension that's super quick and easy to use. I like that you can see your weekly timesheet in a very clear way. I like the UI/UX design of Tick too; clean, simple, and NOT an eyesore :)It's just very easy to use for time tracking! Efficient and clean.

Robert White

A painless way to keep track of project time with low learning curve for new users

Reviewed 2017-04-28

It's easy for our team to keep track of hours and see when / if we are meeting budget or going over. I like the fact that it's easily accessible to new users with uncomplicated, easy to navigate screens. There is a lot of customization features that are very handy as well. We are a television media production company and require a lot of different categories for services and Tick provides us with the flexibility to do what we need.

Alexandria Valentin

Tick helps me keep track of what I did all day and manage client billables.

Reviewed 2017-05-22

I love that I can track time billed against each client (per category and per task). Tick keeps retainer accounts on budget and ensures I am spending time where time needs to be spent.