SportsEngine Reviews

SportsEngine

Operations management for sports leagues, teams, and clubs

SportsEngine

Review Summary

Pros

I love the ability to communicate so quickly and effortlessly with our members. It’s is easy to setup groups for emails and then when needed you can send out thousands of emails in minutes.

Tom T.

Kraig O.

Read the full review
It also is useful to have the chat and messages features order to get a hold of teammates or coaches. If the few small issues would be resolved, it would be perfect.

Tiffany R.

Kip T.

Read the full review
The payments are automatic and we had little to no control over who was charged what. We also didn’t like that the parents had to pay on the first.

Christie Leigh M.

Read the full review
No way to calculate a 'Maximum Charge" (In our league it's max $300/family). This just results in more time wasted explaining the limitations of SportsEngine to parents.

Jon B.

Must Have

Great tool for youth sports!

Parents love it ... rockstar support ... simple to use!

We just ran a fundraiser through the site. 4421 individual products sold through a shareable social media link from our Sports Engine team page. We made money for our lacrosse club and I didn't have to lift a finger. They built it all as a registration. When it comes time for delivery I run one report and all the data is there.

Pros

The interface is simple and user-friendly. Parents and players love the team stats feature! Great mobile App. Reporting is a breeze exportable .xls for everything you want to know. Registrations can be used for fundraising sales. Can't say enough about their support team and I manage a support team for a web hosting company. I could have built all the functionality myself but it would have taken months these guys have an out of the box solution at a reasonable price. Don't listen to the hater reviews they have no idea what it takes to keep an application like this running and are looking for free software that can't do what you need it to do. This stuff works and is reasonably priced!

Cons

Some limitations to the size of pick list you can have them build for you when using registrations as fundraising management but I'm asking a lot of their support team to manually build out lists. I wish they would implement export to Google Drive in the spreadsheet reporting features.

Lots of Features - Difficult to Use - Limited Reporting

Mixed. We thought the league website looked better than our previous version. But getting data out of the system and league setup was more difficult than our previous provider.

Pros

It has a robust front-end. Lots of features available for your league/team website. Their tool allowed users to easily build nice looking websites. They had many widgets that allowed you do generate many different web objects on a website (i.e. News articles, league standings, podcasts and use of your own URL). They offer the opportunity to provide feedback to enhance the product.

Cons

Administrator interface was somewhat convoluted and not user friendly. Setting up a season, teams, divisions and games was not straightforward. Reports were limited. In our league, our commissioner needed to track specific penalties. SportsEngine does not offer true report functionality. It lacked the ability to design your own report, specify a query for the exact data you needed or specify the layout of the data. Even though they offer the ability to provide input on new features or suggest them, very few of the suggestions turn into reality. Nice feature to enter games real-time but it also was not always easy to use. Initial outlay was over $6k with annual cost around $700.

Poor Customer Support

We decided against renewing this software because of the customer support....or lack of. Getting simple help in changing financial information (which must be done by SE, not the user) such as bank accounts, payment options, etc. takes weeks or months to accomplish. Not an option in the real world.

Pros

Overall very good software. Many features are better than other competitors.

Cons

Learning is all through tutorials and videos. Most are dated, and don't exactly match current software. Getting in-person help is frustrating and not timely.

Great Salesrep, Horrible, Clunky Interface and terrible email editor- stay away!

(There must be a limit above)... but there's more bad news: The registration form must be built by 'SportsEngine Engineers'. There's no way to modify it yourself, and when you do add fields, weird things happen and people can't complete the form. Also, don't add fields like "Parent2 Email Address"... because you would think that means that Parent2 would get copied on email and nothing is further...

Pros

The ability to log in using Gmail is the saving grace of this software. I also like the admin edit mode (the only thing I like about the edit mode), where you can see what the website looks like as a user, and then change components of it. But that's about it.

Cons

Oh, where do I begin??? The HTML editor looks like it is circa 1997. It's was clearly designed for older computers- you can't even see what you are typing-not enough space. Also, What You See is DEFINITELY NOT what you get. For example, you have to know to hit the Enter key twice if you actually want a line space. Also, forget dropping or pasting pictures- you have to know HTML. You have to have...

Best League Set up with amazing customer service!

We use this for everything our Little League needs for admins, parents, athletes and spectators. We utilize just about every aspect the site offers. From registration to our own merchandise sales, emails to rescheduling and constant contact with any member of the league. Always finding more options to make the navigation even easier and functions I didn’t know existed. I love using SE!

Pros

I love the way the site and app are easy to use for most, but the customer service/help options are the best I’ve ever used. The options for making the site customized for your needs are so easy and fun! You can even set up training sessions on a specific topic if needed! Keeps all our information easy to pull up and organized while letting our athletes and parents informed.

Cons

Could be a bit cheaper, like 3% + $1 each transaction like competitors.

Best Out There

Or club is able to spend the time with the actual things that matter for any youth sports organization: the families....we know the business side is now solid with the use of SportsEngine.

Pros

Help desk tutorials so you can be self sufficient. Fee collection is HUGE for volunteer organizations....so the multiple options of installments, customizations, and billing are amazingly helpful....especially as businesses are moving away from taking checks. Our club was literally in the red until we got SportsEngine to help us collect fees properly, communicate, and promote. ALSO now HUGE is that our main league can send the game schedule directly to our website! ALL on same platform now and gigantic time saver!

Cons

I have seen the availability of immediate support diminish.... Support is GREAT but reaching someone quickly, as a volunteer like myself, is important. Communicating to people who are not 'members' would help...as we have Alumni who are not comfortable with websites.

Why I chose SportsEngine

I've been with these guys from the beginning with multiple sports and clubs. They keep improving, keep listening and are generally fun people to work with. I think there's room for improvement in their product and they keep doing that, which is what I appreciate the most. They're also far ahead of their competition in terms of support and engagement with their user community.

Pros

SportsEngine is more than a website. It's team collaboration software, content sharing, volunteer management, financial management and more. I still use other software tools, but I wouldn't have to, and in many cases it's just a matter of taking the time to migrate to SportsEngine's better solutions. I still use Ground.Work for collecting fees, because it's cheaper, but SportsEngine would be easier for me in the long run, if my board would let me switch.

Cons

There are some features of SportsEngine that I find unintuitive, like News and News Aggregators, but the functionality and support is there, which is far more than I can say for most competitors. I also think some collaborations with partners like Ground.Work or JotForm would make sense to reduce cost and complexity of the existing solutions within the SportsEngine suite.

Fusion SC User Review

Registration and player management has become much simpler and more streamlined since we switched to SportsEngine, with everything being 100% online. It has made our processes simpler and faster to work through, from rostering to invoicing and even processing refunds. As a Club Admin and parent, I also find the website to be very user friendly for both sides.

Pros

I like the fact that everything is migrating into one location, taking away the need for using/visiting multiple websites to complete necessary tasks.

Cons

There is a lack of some functionality that our organization had with our previous software (Blue Sombrero), which makes some tasks impossible to do without big workarounds (if at all). One example of this is the ability to transfer players between programs without parents having to complete a whole new registration.

Doubled the size of our club

It's doubled the size of our club in three year. The new site seems to project more confidence but it also appears very high in search engine results for our area, so we have more exposure. It's dramatically reduced the time we have to spend getting information to people or collecting information and fees.

Pros

Once setup, it is easy to prepare for each season by making any changes to past registrations and duplicating them for the next season. It's radically reduced the amount of cash and checks we handle -- almost every transaction goes through the website now.

Cons

Some may find the initial setup tricky but Sports Engine offers a service for setting up your website, and rates that are really good if you compare with having an web design agency doing the work.

Not good customer service

I am really concerned about customer service. Very poor follow up. “POOR”

Pros

Sharp, several element options and feature

Cons

When I need to make any major changes I don’t have the opportunity to move fast.

SportsEngine as a Platform for Our Ski Club Website

Our overall experience with SportsEngine has been excellent. With use of this software we have converted our regular newsletter from an expensive printed format to an online format published on our website. This software has allowed us to streamline our new member enrollment and annual membership renewal by doing it all online and getting away from the endless inaccurate paper trails. All registrations for our club events and trips are more easily managed through this software, and we are able to keep track of our club membership more easily and accurately. Communicate with our club membership through mass or individual emails is made possible by the software.

Pros

1. Ease of transition: We switched our Bogus Basin Ski Club website to the SportsEngine platform in August 2018. The transition only took 2-3 weeks and was painless. 2. Training and support: The online and in person training on the SportsEngine software was very thorough, and all of our questions were answered. Ongoing support through emails and scheduled phone calls has always been prompt and most...

Cons

The software is primarily designed for team sports with leagues, teams, players, coaches, parents and youth. We are a ski club of adults only with no teams. Our primary function is year round social activities. Despite this the software has worked very well for us by simply ignoring (not using) all the functionality designed for team sports.

When in doubt go for the GOLD standard!

I am a long long long time user/patron of their product and I have had the best time dealing with their team of account managers and techs. The single best attribute of any company is their ability to take criticism and turn it into a change and a positive experience for the user/customer. They've grown and evolved. Most companies don't, let's be honest. I actually enjoy the interactions with them....

Pros

What I enjoyed and valued most about SportsEngine's sites and software is ease of use and versatility. For someone who is tech savvy (one way of saying it) or someone who is functional at best on a computer this company has something for you in their product. You can easily modify and populate a website for the barely functional individual... or you can rock an excellent sports site with tons of integrations and modifications that are all accessible at your fingertips.

Cons

What I like least is so petty and idiosyncratic that it's barely worth mentioning. I would change things like adding anchors in texts on one page that can be linked from another page. Silly but it's small and maybe not worth fighting for. I would also like to see an appointment app that is solely SportsEngine and not a third-party integration that you add code from another site. Wish list.

Having looked at and used many League Management platforms, SportsEngine® beats everyone hands down.

As the Webmaster and Registrar, my personal benefit has been the ability to remove myself form the day-to-day changes to the website. In our old site (we had for 6 years), the page content had to be edited in HTML (web page base language) to work the way we needed it to work. As a result, I (the webmaster) was the only person with the qualifications to make those changes. With SportsEngine® I've been...

Pros

So many pro's it will be hard to list them all. The ease of use is tremendous which makes it possible for most of the board members to contribute to the site during all cycles of the board year. Because the help documentation is so thorough getting new members up-to-speed and able to manage their own communication streams takes little time and does not require the league to have a 'webmaster guru'...

SportsEngine: Top of the Standings

I have enjoyed nearly every interaction with SportsEngine associates. Their technical support usually gets back to us quickly. And in the few cases where the answer was not what we were hoping to hear, they were open and honest and explained it to us - and encouraged us to submit a request to change those things.

Pros

We needed an easier system for more people to be able to use - our previous website was complex and only a small number of people knew how to use it. With a youth sports club, volunteers come and go every year and we needed something that could be easily used by a wide range of people with limited training. With SportsEngine, we've been able to expand our users and provide some basic training - their robust Help Center and videos supplement their outstanding technical support team. And their designers worked with us to come up with a great looking site.

Cons

There a few small things we would like changed, but nothing major. Our biggest request involves the Dibs system, which allows people to volunteer for club events - we'd like the ability to re-name that page, as we've found that "Dibs" is confusing for our families.

We converted our complex custom operational sports web site to Sports Engine platform.

Eliminated our Accounts Receivables, Game Scheduler to go to desktop, IOS/Android Apps, data base generator, Game registrations flexibility and each team registration communications as well as being flexible to enable our live game iScorecast to be incorporated into SportsEngine software.

Pros

The ability to be able to take our unique custom operational sports platform and adapt it and SportsEngine adaptations to get to the end results we wanted thereof. We demand a lot of data both from an analytics but also to users data within the analytics while using other software modules in a fully desktop and IOS/Android apps platform for our club members. SportsEngine has worked with us as we have pushed their system to fit our custom applications and uses thereof. The end result is that we have greatly reduced our staff time on a weekly bases by over 75%. This is huge savings in preparing for a transition plan.

Cons

Registration for events, games and tournaments has some areas for improvement such as Page 2 of a new registration information should all just pop up as the same versus entering the same information over every time. We do between 90-100 registrations and that is the same reentry of information to the registration questions. Especially when it is a copy of a registration to the same site with a new title and that is all that is being changed.

I have been the webmaster of the MN Selects Festival for the past seven years.

The MN Selects were able to replace the manual registration process for approximately 700 players each year with an online solution that has built in reporting capabilities. So, in addition to managing our Festival more effectively in terms of time and money, we are also able to leverage various functionality to allow our coaches to track their registrations, assign jersey numbers, etc., as well as allow our Directors to track their regions teams at a holistic level.

Pros

I had no prior experience as a webmaster when our MN Selects organization decided to pursue a company to help us manage our 40 team/680 player yearly festival. In a short time, we were up and running with a brand new website leveraging SportsEngine. I would say the most important aspect of the software is it's ease of use - the fact that an individual (and organization) with no prior experience was able to implement a solution so quickly clearly speaks to the strength of the product. In addition, equally as important to me/us as users, is the quality of the team's Customer Support. I continue to be impressed with the ease in which we are able to enhance and upgrade our site year after year thanks to the help of the SportsEngine team.

Cons

Extremely satisfied; fantastic customer service; easy to build a professional looking website.

Platform allows us to build a world class website for a elite travel baseball program.

Pros

SportsEngine has been a true partner from the original sales cycle to the design, build and implementation of our travel baseball site. Their outstanding customer service and support is world class. I'm a IT professional and work with many vendors and I would rank SportsEngine right up there with the best of them. They deliver a high-end product with incredible responsive support and assistance...

Using SPortsEngine as a referee

Use the software as an end user to go in for game reports. After a game when there is a penalty to report, I go to SportEngine and look up the game Sometimes I go in to look at future games coming up

Pros

All league games are listed. Games are usually in one central location (Need good thought process as to how leagues and games are listed)

Cons

Penalties from games are listed in order they occurred rather than broken out by team Not always intuitive

SportsEngine is the way to go

Pros

This isn't just website/marketing software! It's a web-based platform for running your entire sports organization. It's how we communicate, manage teams, organize events, accept payments and manage registrations. Want to get word out at the last minute about a cancellation? Use SportsEngine to broadcast the message by text and email, with a simple calendar update. Want to bill a parent for their kids extra lesson? Just send them a PowerPay bill online. You'll get paid online and have a record of the whole thing. To top it all off, the whole thing is backed by NBC Sports, so you get all kinds of free publicity at a National level and your organization looks like they've really got it together.

Cons

There are some things that I don't like, but they just keep making it better. Don't like something? Go to a user group meeting and talk to them about it. If your ideas make more sense, you'll probably see them in an update. They have great support and really listen to the needs of their users.

Sport Engine has been great for my league since the first day I changed over to their website.

Pros

First off, it's very professional looking! Which is a big selling point for my league. The look created legitimacy for my league. The support staff has been excellent to work with! From the Sales Representative and Account Manager I work with, all the way through Registration and Tech Support departments, all have been helpful, and prompt when doing so! I honestly believe the professional look of my website has given my business the edge over the competition in my market. And last, but certainly not least, the website is super easy for the user like me to edit, post pictures, video and content to my website.

Cons

I don't dislike anything about Sport Engine's websites, or them as a company. If there was anything that could be thought of as a negative, or a drawback, is that as a new company, they have a lot of great new ideas and features that they plan to roll out in the future, but things like that take time to develop, so making sure they're done right for the sake of the customer is what is important. Patience is the virtue we all must have until those new features are brought to use.

Worth every penny!!

The organization this has provided, as well as the ease of scheduling, rostering and reports we are able to do with ease puts a smile on our face every time. Often hear "yes, done in record time".

Pros

The software helped us have a functional web site for our league. The mobile app is awesome! Our teams post their stats right after their games, can add photos, view their stats and are able to easily converse with their teammates on availability for their games.

Cons

Waiting and really want the financial functionality that the States leagues have. Having financial data will make the software almost perfect for our league.

Database Doesnt Work They just take money

The customer service has become terrible. The database was flawless till the end of June and now simply does not work.

Pros

The program is a series of templates that you can manipulate for your specific organization. The system is fairly robust in the options and ways you can get what you need done.

Cons

The database is not working. It has not worked for over two months. Clients who register I am not able to see nor have any idea who they are. They created a new area to register that should have simplified it, but that has not fully worked either. The phone system doesnt work. If you call they tell you to go to the website and register for a chat or schedule a phone call, then it hangs up. I have been on with support 4-5 times in the past 2 months and they have not resolved it and give you a canned response. As of this date, my database still does not work and the customer support is very poor. Nor have they refunded any monies as I have asked.

Proven technology, support is quick and they care about my site.

Branding our Athletic Department. Great communication tool for messaging and the calendar. Parents and faculty at the high school LOVE the visibility and the professional look.

Pros

Easy to use. Lot of room for creativity. Great communication tool. Great customer and technology support. Online DIY videos are very helpful! Unlimited photos and videos for parents is a big deal! Mirroring tools are valuable. The ability to build custom reports is very helpful. The look is very professional and has helped me "brand" our Athletic Department. When I need to talk to a real person, they are there for me.

Cons

Parents don't read my directions. The software is awesome. When I am searching for an issue in the video support site, I get too many answers. Would love if it would let me search for a term in quotes so I can get to the exact topic. For example, if I put in a search for "how to create a team event" I get every possible topic that has the word "team" in it. Would be helpful to search an exact term. But tech service has worked when the search engine does not. And my Baseball teams wants to separate the calendar events so they can track statistics. Right now I put on the calendar, then when he duplicates an event for statistics, it's confusing to families.

Youth Football League Loves SportsEngine

Pros

Ease of use. Very cost effective to switch over to and use year to year. High Levels of communication within the tool. SportsEngine is always making changes to try and improve the software. Adaptability between different orgs to use one piece of software for multiple different leagues and sports. I highly recommend this offtware quite to help in running youth sports orgs.

Cons

Sometimes the customer service people take a little longer than you would expect to answer questions.

SportsEngine is by far the easiest sports related software platform I've ever used.

Ease of use, improved communication and much more.

Pros

As the Director the Mankato Sports Commission as well as being involved at a volunteer level for numerous sports organizations I have been exposed to and had to use many different sports related software/website platforms. SportsEngine is hands down the best of any I have ever used. In minutes I can show somebody who has never used the software a few basic things and get them up to speed enough that they can easily help manage a website on this platform. I love that you don't need to know how to write code or really any technical aspects in order to make changes or updates.

Cons

Occasionally I run into things I'd like to do on our website that are not available as options however the SportsEngine team always gets back to me in timely fashion to either let me know of a way to do it or let me know if that is something they are working on.