Practice Fusion Logo

Practice Fusion

Cloud-based electronic health record platform

Practice Fusion Reviews

3.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.03/10

Reviews by rating

Good price reasonably user friendly, adding mips reporting, some ability to customize. Robust support at the beginning.
I would gladly put Practice Fusion up against them all. It is great and it delivers exactly what they promise and they also provide the best customer support that I have seen in the EMR field.
But the thing that I like the most is the ease of use, the improvement in the car in the last 2 years was great. They have been using practice fusion for more than 6 years now.
Customer service is horrible; they are rude, not helpful at all and you are easily on hold for 40 minutes at a time. You can leave a message, but no one ever calls you back.
Having used the product for past two years, I am annoyed to learn the new user interface, surely I'll adapt.
Lack of electronic devices integration. No ecommerce through PF.

HE

Harlan E.

Practice Administrator

Manage patient records

Transcript

Harlan E: Hi, my name is Harlan. I am a practice manager for a medical practice, and I give Practice...

Laurie R.

owner

Practice Fusion May Be Timed Out

Transcript

Laurie R.: Hi, I'm Laurie, nurse practitioner, and I give Practice Fusion a score of 4 out of 5. For...

Sarah S.

Medical Practice, 1,001-5,000 employees

Review of Practice Fusion

We have been able to maximize use of the software and save money by not losing revenue.

Pros

Medical billing is made easy by this software. Everything is viewable on one screen and the ease of navigating is great! It allows easy charge entry and payment posting, always showing the balance for everyone to see. Providers able to generate charts with minimal clicks!

Cons

Can be hard to view if you have bad eye sight!

AM

Andrea M.

Used other for 6-12 months

Not suitable for Clinical Massage Therapy Practice

We were searching for software to keep digital medical records, and also to keep printable SOAP charts for our medical massage therapy patients. There were many extraneous features not applicable to our practice that drove our choice to go to a different software suite.

Pros

The interface is easy to read, landing pages easy to navigate. The colors pop, the menus easy to get through.

Cons

It was not appropriate or useful for our practice. We are a medical massage therapy practice, but we do not take patient vitals, etc.

AW

Alice W.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Benefits do NOT outweigh the risks

Once your new user status is up, and the likelihood of you switching EHR's is very low, there will be no support, and no accountability. With ever changing regulations, payer policies, clinical guidelines, drugs and technologies on market, certification requirements and on and on, do you really need to worry about how your EMR is going to force another change on your practice and livelihood.

Pros

simplistic design, customizable templates, integrated calendar that answering service can use for scheduling, used to be free

Cons

Labs do not get attached to referrals. As a Nephrologist immersed in lab results, this is a key function for me! When remedy ticket is created, the representative talks in circles, sometimes taking a week to reply. One rep finally acknowledged this was a known issue. One year later, I contacted cust service to request a full data extraction to migrate to another EHR. Same run around. Tried the...

I like it

Very positive.

Pros

It was free in the beginning which was cool, but I still find value in it. Once the templaters were done, things are simple and easy to dictate.

Cons

Would like a little easier way to chart and dictate and change things. I saw a mutate button on a competitor to change the order of the note.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

EMR that is easy to learn and works well for small offices

Pros

This software is a breeze to teach to new and existing employees alike. New features are few and far between but seem to be easy enough to implement. Software use to be free which was a real pro but the cost is not outrageous now. We are hoping that with the cost per provider, we will be seeing some feature upgrades that will make it more of a time-saver.

Cons

The cell phone 2 step login seemed like a great idea until I watch my employees waste time, potentially violate HIPAA/privacy policies because of the cameras on every phone now and because they have to re-sterilize after using their phones to log back in. You can't bill insurance companies directly, which is a con if you have a dedicated billing person that is capable of billing for less that what...

mn

michael n.

Worst E RX system - CLunky beyond belief

Pros

Cost cost is great but thats it otherwise its a very clunky system

Cons

The e RX system is unbelievable clunky I have asked over and over to please allow storage of meds that we use repetitively for extraction by a macro . FOr example I have patients in travel med that get the same 4 Rx's over and over . Each time I have to write them all out - Our old system SOAPWARE I could extract these with three key strokes . With practice fusion I am well over 500 key strokes for...

L.

L ..

Acceptable product while it was free but now.....

Pros

It used to be free. Ability to make your own templates. The E prescribing was simple to use. Easy to enter lab orders and lab result integration was good.

Cons

From free to the whole amout annually paid in advance. The price increase has shut out many small solo practices. The cost is for one physician license +3 additional licensed employees. Wouldn't cost be much fairer if the cost was truly per user. I don't want to subsidize larger offices. Horrible customer service since late last year. The templates that are provided are a very low-quality including...

LG

Lynette G.

PF review

Given that it's free, I don't feel I have the right to complain too much, however, customer service has NEVER been a strong suit in the 3+ yrs I have used PF in various settings. I live in MI and don't understand why I can't yet e-scribe controlled substances in my state when other EMR's have been for quite some time. Having to create emails for more than one practice is absurd because then you have...

Pros

That it's free, fairly easy to use, but not always simple. Has gotten better over the years.

Cons

when creating a superbill, often sends a message "fix validation errors" before you can save as ready to bill, but no errors are listed or highlighted......WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!?!?! The only solution I have found, to date, is to go through and start erasing diagnoses, one by one until I can save. Then, I know I am losing revenue because I have had to erase so many! Also, not being able to save...

AG

Amy G.

Insurance, 11-50 employees

Practice Fusion Customer Service and Use Issues

We do use practice fusion for multiple providers who find that it works well to integrate with the billing software

Pros

Practice Fusion does allow practices to pretty easily link up with multiple billing softwares, and it allows for simple tracking of patient records and note keeping. It is pretty simple to run a report and see why a claim is not populating into the billing software from PF.

Cons

The option to keep documents in a patient file is not entirely user friendly, as you have to scroll through all of them to find what you are looking for. I often run into glitches in the bridge built between PF and the billing software we use. I also have trouble with customer service at PF every time there is an issue, as you are not allowed to call any more (the automated message will hang up on you) and the online support ticket is slow and cumbersome. I would expect kinder and more efficient customer service now that practice fusion is a paid service

Rebekah C.

Intuitive, easy to learn and convenient.

Pros

I love how everything is integrated so that I can send labs, update charts, toggle between practice locations and fax referrals, all from one place.

Cons

Occasionally it eats inter-office messages. Generally it only happens when I'm attempting group messages but that can be really inconvenient.

DM

Dmitry M.

Medical Practice, self-employed

Progressively declining and currently abysmal customer support

I used Practice Fusion since 2009 for my solo psychiatry practice, and became a paid subscriber to continue to use its e-prescribing and EPCS. The EMR support has always been spotty, and it only got worse since it became a paid EMR. It took 5 months to fix an authentication bug which affected e-prescribing significantly, occasionally EPCS would go down completely with no warning and any information...

Pros

Ease of use, can create your templates, EPCS easy (when it works), relatively affordable, runs on multiple platforms (when it is up). I don't use the billing and scheduling features.

Cons

Nonexistent customer support (of any kind - Tech tickets ignored, phone support not available, your PF rep will just tell you they have no ETA when an issue will be resolved). Horrible is an understatement - you are completely on your own. Problematic issues with eprescribing (primarily, EPCS), will pop up repeatedly, impossible to establish lab connection, poor rendering on mobile devices, too many screens to click through. Often slows down during peak hours (I have a FIOS 50/50 connection so not on my end).

CC

Catherine Chun Y.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Practice Fusion is a free EHR system with a good user interface and fluid navigation.

We are grateful this free EHR, it saves us a lot of money. However, we hope Practice Fusion will provide its own billing system for us, and we are willing to pay for the billing service. As we all know that the billing is the most important part of medical clinic. Thanks! Catherine Ye

Pros

1. Providing good features ( Schedule including online booking, Patient demographics, management documents, E Prescription, Insurance and verification, Immunizations, Allergies, Smoking status, Vital sign, customized templates, Referrals, lab order and receiving results, image order and receiving results, Soap Note, Message, Patient portal and MIPS report) for free. 2. Providing free learning center...

Cons

1. Practice Fusion has no billing management feature although it can been integrated with other billing software. 2. There is Payer list problems with payer codes, and custom service staffer don't know how to solver the issues. 3. Practice Fusion don't provide our own account manager, we have to explain our issuers each time when we contact customer service representatives. 4. We don't have any communication...

PB

Paige B.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

We are a small outpatient psychiatric office and Practice Fusion was great for our budget!

Great value for the price. We are just starting to implement the patient portal and find it is another useful tool for some patients.

Pros

We love the price, as a small office (2 providers) our budget was limited and this was appealing. I knew other offices larger than ours that used it and they recommended it as well. There is a lot that Practice Fusion is capable of and I think we are only hitting the surface of how it can make our jobs easier. I really like how updox (faxing system) coordinates with Practice Fusion and we can upload what we need into the chart so easily.

Cons

I felt it was difficult to navigate Practice Fusion, but then when we started using it I was also setting up a private practice so that made things more difficult because I really didn't know what I needed as far as intake templates and how to set up my notes to make it quick and easy. After some tries I think we are doing pretty well. The only thing I wish was different (and maybe this can be done...

BK

Beth K.

Do not use this EMR

I was locked out of the system and I could not get a verification code sent to my email. I explained that the phone number attached to my account is no longer in use. I have a new number. After speaking to numerous personnel I was told the only way to be able to change my phone number is to provide a notarized letter with a photo ID, business license etc. I explained that I must know the password to be able to access my account. I am not asking to change that I just need to be able to receive a verification code via email. There was absolutely no resolution to my problem. It fell on deaf ears!!!!!

Pros

This software was not very intuitive and not very user friendly.

Cons

It was very difficult to customize the patient intake, not meant for a subspecialty practice. Many of the different labs do not contract with practice fusion and therefore the results do not automatically come into the system.

PA

Pam A.

Adequate Free Electronic Health Record

Happy with the EMR up to 2017. I don't feel it will meet our needs for QPP reporting.

Pros

This is a free platform for medical offices. There are no hidden charges and it is easy to use. Cloud based, so you don't have to invest in servers. Easily link lab facilities to send and receive orders/results electronically.

Cons

I don't feel they are ready for CMS's quality payment program. We are already in June and don't have a dashboard for the Advancing care information (old meaningful use) yet. We need to gauge how we are meeting each measure before the start of the last available reporting period. The Quality measures (eCQM) are only geared towards primary care and we are a specialty with a specialty measure set. I have to connect with a Specialized registry to be able to report quality measure, and the data files are not adequate to download a CCDA file, so I may need to input ALL the data manually to be able to report and to get credit for the bonus points. We may need to switch EMRs if things stay the same.

HA

Hemang A.

2019 Practice Fusion Review

Pros

My practice has been using Practice Fusion for the past 8 years and initially it was a feature rich tool in the marketplace. Not to mention it was Free. But over last couple of years there have been minimal updates, there is a monthly/yearly subscription fee but the software is not keeping up with other tools in the market place.

Cons

Cannot txt patient appointment reminders Cannot fax patient records directly from tool Document attachment feature is not usable in current state to become make all patient records electronic Software support representatives are of little help (lack product knowledge) and no time commitments given to fix production issues. Minimal billing integration, leaves you searching 2 systems to track payments Lack of robust reports (this is huge if want to grow and understand your patient flow) Patient eligibility check is not integrated will all payers (i.e. cannot verify Medicare eligibility)

RD

Rebecca D.

Don't do it

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say 2 with 10 being best and 0 being worst

Pros

Paperless and promised ability of patient interaction with scheduling and intake

Cons

Most everything else. Starting using this when it was free several years ago to comply with the EMR requirement. When they started charging I looked at other systems but didn't want to go thru the hassel of transferring all the files, small practice with no IT department, just didn't want to take the time. The support is non existent. From the outside it looks like it has great features, patient portal, online check in....only problem is they don't work and those that do work are very cumbersome to the users.

TE

Taylor E.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Beggers Can't Be Choosey

So far, so good.

Pros

Practice Fusion is a free EHR program. You do have to pay for doctor licenses obviously but for a generic EHR, you can't beat it. I like the visual view of the schedule when placed on "WEEK VIEW" and the fact that we have the option to log on when we are not in the office for emergencies.

Cons

Practice Fusion is not very user-friendly. It has gotten much better within the last year but it still has a long way to go. My least favorite thing about Practice Fusion is the process of scanning and uploading documents in to a patient's chart. You must scan, name and upload each individual file SEPARATELY. There are times when we have 10+ documents to scan in for a single patient and because of PF's process, we tend to get a little behind on our scanning. I wish there was a way to mass upload or mass name documents.

TS

Todd S.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

Good product but not built for the needs of Psychologists

I had great customer service. I had great support when needed. I "learned" the onion layers and was able use the EHR initially with little training.

Pros

Like all EHRs learning the "onion skin layers" to be able to move through the features easily took me awhile. I was repeating often and looking for things since it was not initially intuitive when moving through the EHR. Once I did become familiar with the "layers" I was able to move through the EHR quickly and easily. The Templates were very helpful, especially the ability to share with other users on the EHR.

Cons

For me the lack of attention to the specific needs of Psychologists in the EHR as well as the ever increasing price of the EHR caused me to look to other EHR forms. I developed "work arounds" for myself as a Psychologist using the EHR.

JS

Jason S.

Bare Bones

eh. It gets the job done, but it's not a joy to use or to work with their customer service. There are lots of features that could be easily added/fixed/adapted, but they won't do it. They roll out new versions without extensive beta testing, so there are always new bugs for features that used to work.

Pros

It gets the job done... It covers the basics and is available online. It ports to billing software, and labs can send results, for a price.

Cons

1) Customer service is hardly available - phone call takes 1 hour hold. Tickets and emails don't result in solutions, just lots of back and forth. 2) Restrictive license agreement is not flexible for adding/removing providers from your practice 3) It's very bare bones - gets the basics, but not eloquently or intuitively. 4) Did I mention customer support for a paid product should be supportive? and it is not.

DJ

Dr J H.

Medical Practice, self-employed

I absolutely LOVE Practice Fusion!

I bought another EHR a few years ago, but after training, it was still hard to use, so I didn't use it at all! I tried 3 different EHRs, but if was Practice Fusion that was the easiest and the friendliest. I started using PF full time 1 week after playing around with it and watching a couple of training videos on the site. I've introduced my colleagues to PF, and many of them are using it now. I even "train" my friends who want to use PF to make it easy for them to start! A lot of my friends refer to me as their PF IT!

Pros

FREE, ease of use, training videos on the website that anyway one access at any time to self-educate. I

Cons

That they do maintenance on thursday nights from 8-1. I wish that they would do maintenance around 1-2AM to 4-5AM on Sundays or something.... But thank goodness, they haven't had to be offline too often anymore

as

audrey s.

misleading sales people... product DOES NOT INCLUDE WHAT YOU ARE TOLD

customer service is non existent, the implementation classes they offer are rushed and then shed a light on all the services that they do not include... such as purchasing your own license just to have the ability to use CPT codes??? i have NEVER heard of such a thing.

Pros

NOTHING !!!! AVOID this EMR at all costs

Cons

I was told by the sales person that everything i was looking for was included, then i did a free trial which did not give you COMPLETE access. beware, the price does not include EPCS, and there are NO CPT codes... unless you purchase your own CPT license or you cannot enter a single procedure code or anything to do with screening. you also have to manually enter each modifier as they also so not come...

PF

Paul F.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

User for 5 years Direct Primary Care (no insurance participation)

This partially forced takover is unfortunate for those of us trying to reduce cost for our patients and provide better care. All scripts is solely interested I couldn't be less interested in All scripts. I'll go back to paper first.

Pros

Formerly free - relatively simple and easy to use. Now not worth the monthly cost - not even close.

Cons

Practice Fusion sold out on a promise it would always be free. After investigation, I learned why and understand ie. Govt legal issues expecting to cost millions. Having had many EHR/EMR over my 30 yrs practice, All scripts is needed of worst companies to deal with. Horrible support now evident with Fusion, click crazy environment. Uncertain what changes will occur with Fusion.

SB

Sanjay B.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Excellent value EHR that meets Meaningful Use!

Pros: It's free (so far), intuitive and easy to use, lots of help links and webinars, good flexibility in creating templates, good variety of templates already available, very good support that is responsive in a timely fashion, good reports that work for CMS ehr incentive program and meets Meaningful Use, database is managed off site so helps with some of your security responsibility. Cons: Database is off site so slight delay in accepting and processing data (not bad because entering data is done through a "static" version). Needs more functionality (company seems to be open to changes and asks for suggestions, but slow to implement) - too many clicks for certain features which delays data entry.

Pros

Please read my review, I just did all this.

Cons

Please read my review, I just did all this.

WS

Washington S.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Our experience with PF is very good .. complete and very easy to use.

We were able to satisfy the initial medical necessity requirement and collected the first incentive for the three doctors in the office. We need more help in pursuing the subsequent incentives for using the EHR.

Pros

Complete and very user-friendly. We have used this program since April of 2012 and it has served us very well. It is very easy to use. Even a newly hired staff can start using it right away.

Cons

The PA module needs to be repaired. It is frustrating. The member's ID should be automatically posted from the member's insurance profile. The phone number formatting and autofill should coordinate. The saving does not work so I have to start all over again.