ATLAS.ti

Qualitative data analysis for text, graphical, audio & video

ATLAS.ti Reviews

Pros

My applied linguistics and corpus-based research became great and influential thanks to a great variety of qualitative and quantitative analytical data tools which I can use right now.

Olga B.

Olga B.

Fabiola P.

Cons

The YouTube videos explaining how to use Atlas.ti are TERRIBLE. I learned the software by experimenting and reading the manual.

Kriss W.

Stijn W.

Some of the features, particularly how to create and apply codes are not intuitive. Additionally, I had some trouble finding the right user manual.

Jane D.

4.4

Computer program for qualitative data analysis.

As a researcher in the area of social sciences, she considered that the Atlas.ti is a very practical computer program that allows the use of data obtained from particular spaces such as interviews, visits, participations in groups or communities, among others to group them in codes or categories and subcategories of agreement correspond to determine new categories, relationships that in some way qualitatively will respond to investigations. The Atlas.ti is easy to manage, and provides a lot of freedom to name the categories according to the researcher's criteria.

Pros

The Atlas.ti is a computer tool that is used for the analysis of large amounts of textual or qualitative data, which as researchers seek to associate pattern codes or codes - labels that contain fragments of images, drawings, texts, videos, sounds and other types of videos in digital formats, which from the purely statistical or formal point of view is very difficult to analyze. The base from where...

Cons

As a researcher in the use of Atlas.ti, I have had problems when assigning documents to the hermeneutic unit, whether they are texts, images, audios, among others, since these files are stored on the hard disk in a particular address and can not be be embedded in the hermeneutic unit, therefore in Atlas.ti only the reference that directs the linked file is placed, a reference that will allow access to the documents, but if the address is changed the program gives problems to find it, and it can be lost the work done. However, despite this, it is very important that when analyzing with this tool, it is very important not to move the files where the data obtained in the research is held.

ATLAS.ti for qualitative research

i’ve done my qualitative research using this software and it helped me a lot with the data analysis. it worth the money especially if you’re a student and get this software through a student discount.

Pros

this software enables the users to easily codes and analyze qualitative datas, such as interview transcripts and documents. the interface is user-friendly and it offers student discount at an affordable price compared to its competitors. the free trial version also doesn’t have time-limit, instead, it limits the document and codes but you can keep the free trial as long as you like.

Cons

the cloud version is not as responsive as the pc/mac version, it also would be better if the pc/mac version has an option to save the project to cloud.

Great tool for qualitative analisys

While finding the best option that helps me to interpret the sample I had for my thesis, a professor showed me this software and was great and honestly saved my life. I managed to learn fast, following the instructions that the company gives in tutorials and training programs and I was ready to start and make a good job. I really recommend it!

Pros

It is easy to learn and if you are starting in the investigation world, this is definitely a good option so you can understand how it works in a reasonable time to start analyzing your texts effectively and fastly. Coding is not complicated and it permits you doing it in order and sequence, having as a result an organized list that will help you to relate and interpret better. There are also many videos of the official account with tutorials, tips and useful information. To be more specific, I used it for analysis content when I was doing my thesis, and was my partner in identifying under text, ideas and what they wanted to communicate and let me interpret and save time so I can focus on finding the result.

Cons

I don't have much problems with it but the suscription could be a bit expensive. However there is a trial version that can work well to start.

I knew it by a friend.

I was able to complete qualitative analyzes in my work.

Pros

I liked the facility to process qualitative data. The platform offers multiple tools to perform analyzes at different levels.

Cons

At first it is difficult to use it, because of the multiple buttons on its entrance platform. In addition, making interpretations can be complicated if you do not handle it frequently.

AtlasTI is robust software for QDA analysis.

Its crucial for students to pay attention to the licensing terms of the QDA software they wish to use. Its important to NOT get caught into using proprietary software that expires and no longer allows the use of the purchased version. If it weren't for this issue, I'd be using AtlasTI as it is certainly one of the most full-featured QDA applications

Pros

AtlasTI has all of the features that a modern QDA application could hope for. As a geographer, I was especially impressed by the ability of AtlasTI to work with maps and create geo-documents. Geographic locations can be coded and documents (text, video, audio) can be attached to specific geographic locations. This is a brilliant feature that many other QDA applications do not have. The interface for coding video is clear and very easy to use. Its easier to use than another major QDA tool that I work with. The company has plenty of documentation available for users to consult, and many instructional videos can be found easily online and on the company's website.

Cons

There's very little to dislike about AtlasIT. Its outstanding and robust. The company's policy regarding student licenses however, leaves much to be desired. Student licenses are valid for only 2 year and will expire. If you are a grad student who expends hundreds of hours on coding and analyzing your data with AtlasIT, you'll find that you are unable to continue to work on your project after you graduate unless you buy a commercial license. The expenses will add up rapidly. Student licenses should not expire and prevent users from continuing to work with their data using their purchased version of the software.

A Powerful Tool for Creative Data Analysis

It is really effective. Powerful. Productive. Proficient. I am really grateful that such an efficient tool was created. If not for this tool, I don't know what I would do! My applied linguistics and corpus-based research became great and influential thanks to a great variety of qualitative and quantitative analytical data tools which I can use right now!

Pros

This thing is an amazing, powerful, intellectual tool for efficient, effective and consistent work on your research data. If you want to work proactively and make a smart analysis of some data, dig out the key ideas, valuable intentions, precious details, Atlas.ti will save your time and efforts. With this tool you can methodically draw out, order and reorder and code some significant pieces of precious...

Cons

I am not sure if this tool can effectively work on Linux, such as Ubuntu and Debian, which is a great limitation for this amazing software.

Worst customer support I've ever experienced!

Pros

Good functionality, not too hard to use, although more advanced functionality is harder to find out and learn to use. Analysis of data could be more extensive.

Cons

After doing an update of Atlas.ti 8 to the newest version (19 I think it was), I experienced some problems in the document view. About 80% of the quotations that I had made and the codes that were connected to these just disappeared directly after installation of the update. I reported the problem through the Problem Report option within Atlas, I called telephone support, I emailed the technical...

It helped me organize information that on paper is difficult to remember its exact location

It is an ideal program for qualitative research, since it allows segmenting data into units of meaning; encode data and build theories.

Pros

- Ability to handle a huge variety of media - It allows to organize data, add information and create comments, annotations, codes, categories and shows relationships, among all of them, and with the support of the program it is coded according to the scheme that has been designed. - Make counts between units, categories, topics, memos and primary documents and show relationships between them - Keeps...

Cons

-It is necessary to digitize all the data, which is clearly for an investigation that has a lot of data on paper, it is a very strenuous job. -Its indiscriminate use can generate over time an absolute dependence on the part of the researchers that conform only with the results thrown by the software and do not take the trouble to compare the results obtained from the research - You can not make dating families

Excellent tool for doing qualitative research

I use this tool while creating research papers for conferences and have found that it definitely increases the quality of the work that I create.

Pros

It's a very useful tool when doing background research on an important research project. It allows you to draw conclusions from large amounts of reading material that would otherwise elude you.

Cons

It takes a lot of upfront work to tag and organise your reading while you're busy with your research, but that's not the software's fault, that's just due to the different workflow.

Interesting because this application allows to analyze qualitative data and categorize automatically

Pros

It is a tool that helps with the analysis of qualitative data: texts, images, graphics, audio and video, facilitating the understanding of the data in a visual way, since you can observe those complex relationships. In the same way, the possibility of relating categories and comments with the theoretical framework is very dynamic.

Cons

That does not have an option to perform the digitization of all data collected, therefore, the user must comply with that task.

Atlas.ti makes qualitative research so much easier!

I used Atlas.ti as a research assistant on someone else’s project and ended up buying it because it is so helpful. Now it is my go-to for any qualitative analysis.

Pros

Atlas.ti is easy to use, and it has good functionality that allows me to run analysis on my qualitative research projects.

Very useful for Qualtitative Research

It has been very useful for my PhD Thesis. It helps you get an overall idea of your data, to make note on the basic ideas and the more relevant parts of your data.

Pros

The best thing is that you can keep everything related with your research project in one place: bibliography, data, analysis, ideas, etc.

Cons

I think you need a basic course of this software in order to know all the functionalities and use it as its fullest.

Good for cross platform use but doesn't beat MAXQDA

Useful for users looking for easy cross platform implementation and potential cloud usage; be aware that cross platform/mobile options are very limited though.

Pros

The cross platform implementation was highly appealing; unfortunately the iPad based app is not really as useful as I had hoped. The student license was on par with other CAQDAS sofware platforms, and the free license was a good amount of time to test the software.

Cons

The user function was unintuitive and did not make working with social media (Twitter) data particularly easy.

Great Qualitative Coding Software, Especially for Media Files!

Great software with all of the capabilities needed for qualitative research.

Pros

I've used other qualitative coding software before but the reason I began using ATLAS.ti is because of its ability to import and code media files. Specifically, I began using it to code video interviews for a project I'm working on.

Cons

Awesome tool for my thesis project

I had an excellent experience using ATLAS.ti to analyze my thesis project's qualitative data. I will highly recommend this software to others!

Pros

I loved using this software to analyze my qualitative data for my thesis project. It helped everything organized and accessible.

Cons

Nothing. Every functions worked as intended and I was able to complete my thesis much quicker thanks to this software!

Great for Qualitative Data Analysis

Pros

It's a really powerful software package. I found Atlas.ti to be fairly intuitive to use, but some tools still took some getting used to

Cons

For me, other programs like NVivo or Dedoose are a bit easier to navigate

Qualitative research friendly

very helpful when you are trying to do thematic analysis and design the themes network

Pros

excellent for thematic analysis in qualitative research

Cons

a little complicated at first since its not that much user friendly

brief

Pros

I used atlas for a mini qualitative study, i liked the cloud functionality and it's very easy to use, just upload the text and highlight themes

Cons

I ended up using another software for my research that has also some quantitative functions, like frequency and grid viz

Very accessible for students

Pros

The student liscence is very reasonable and the onboarding experience is great. This is so much you can do with this software. The go to for qualitative data analysis.