Milanote

Visual boards solution for organizing ideas and projects

Milanote Reviews

Sarah K.

I started due to a recommendation of a youtuber, and I really loved it. Now I use the app on my phone and desktop, is great to show and explain ideas to my co workers and clients.

Evelyn S.

Megan B.

Cons

No offline mode so can't work on planes, etc. No app which kills me as I use my iPad for most of my conception.

Stephen G.

The fact that it is only online could have been a con because sometimes I need to work offline.

Claire S.

Can't live without it but needs an offline mode and iPad app.

Stephen G.

4.8

Clean, easy to use system of visual organization for designers.

Milanote is awesome and an essential design organizational tool

Pros

I started using Milanote when it was in beta, when I was looking for a neater alternative to Trello. I do design work, so being able to put pictures and text wherever I want is really important. It's equally, important, though, that everything be neat and easy to organize. I mostly work by myself with a handful of individual clients. I can work on Milanote without having to deal with excess team...

Cons

There's no integration with Zapier yet. I believe that's on the roadmap, but it'll definitely make a difference when I can connect a particular design board with tasks on Todoist, for example.

Milanote is a terrific creative canvas for ideation, research, collaboration and everyday notetaking

Milanote is a creative workflow asset. It allows me to rapidly iterate on just about anything that's how versatile I've found it to be.

Pros

Milanote has an elegantly simple interface. It's great for capturing notes on the go, consolidating and mapping your research findings, organising your creative ideas, arranging all of the above into projects and using whatever system/workflow suits you (and your team, in realtime).

Cons

As a product, Milanote sits somewhere between a fully-fledged word processor and an online file storage service, like Dropbox. It's not either of those extremes, so manage your expectations! However, it is absolutely terrific at filling the void in between.

A great product with a steep pricing model and no mobile apps for Android

I found this app extremely easy to use, and it is highly recommended for creatives as it embraces fully the "limitless board" model. Sadly, there is no mobile apps for Android yet. Pricing is too steep with no middle option.

Pros

Ease of use, tons of features that make it flexible specially for creative environments

Cons

No mobile apps. Pricing is too steep if you live in the Android ecosystem as there is no app for this system.

CREATIVITY ALL IN ONE

Pros

As a creator Im in love with this software, I tend to do a lot of visual moodboard to pitch ideas to clients of my agency,but also for me to develop new workflows, marketing strategies and more. With Milanote Im able to have all the ideas in one board and access to them with connectors so all of the strategy and workflows stays consistent. Also I have access to those boards from my phone.

Cons

It is limited to a certain amount of cards, but this is only in the free version. The paid one is really unexpensive and gives you a lot of great options.

Ultimate Planning Software

I am currently using Milanot to plan every of my project and it's so very helpful.

Pros

Planning has never been easier, I am able to add links, images etc. It's just like seeing what your final output would be like even before it is launched. I remember planning my website on Milanote first, and I still plan all my projects and campaign here, draft out my designs and scripts for the video here also. The guide at the beginning also helps to familiarize yourself with the app and how it works. Great Tool!!!

Cons

First of all, most time, I want to also work offline, but can't and I really wished there was a possibility. They should also consider cutting down the price a little, the other option is referring to get more space.

One of the best tools for organizing creative projects within the team

When you need to create content from stretch you need to have everything organized in one place (copy, visuals, external sources etc.) and everything needs to be visually well arranged. Milanote provides us everything you need in one place, so we can move faster with our tasks and deadlines.

Pros

I like to use Milanote for website content creation, customer journey mapping and even for creating simple diagrams. The learning curve of using this tool is not so long, you can conclude everything that tool can do within the few hours. Great UX and UI visual experience.

Cons

Struggling with shaping and moving arrows.

Made for Designers

I'm able to feel more organized. As a designer, I benefit greatly from having everything in one place vs physical boards. I can take it with me on the go, on my phone and it's been great for collaboration with my team.

Pros

My favorite aspect of Milanote is having the ability to create different boards. I work as a UX designer so the boards have been an amazing way to collect research, images, references and to compile them in a way that is visually easy to look at and organized.

Cons

When I have long pieces of text, it tends to expand in length but not in width. Having more control of the text boxes so they can be adjusted using the cursor in terms of both width and height would be very useful!

Very happy with the ease of use and the possibilities. But there's still much to improve.

Organise projects I'm working on and future ideas and projects. Feel a bit more organize with it, but still needs a lot of improvements to really be used much more. Especially for the price it has.

Pros

Ease of use, very visual and intuitive. Being able to organize everything the way I want is one of my favorite features compared to other tools like Evernote that I found quite restrictive in this sense. The possibility to create any possible combination of notes, boards, images, it's great and allows to create each board different according to your needs.

Cons

Still lots of things to add and improve, especially for the cost it has. In my opinion, the actual price of the pro version doesn't justify the features available. There is no android app, so it's almost impossible to use on your mobile phone, becoming just a desktop app. I miss the option to upload files of any type and modify the notes to be wider if we need so we can add paragraphs of text easily.

Working with Milanote has made tasks like mood-boarding and team collaboration so easy.

Pros

The ease of use is definitely one of the pros. The software is fast/easy to learn , and easy to use. It lets you focus on the task at hand and not get frustrated with convoluted user experiences.

Cons

More functionality around team collaborate would be great. A way to see who is leaving feedback or comments and a way to comment back. Maybe in a comment thread.

The Best Platform for Planning

Milanote has made it possible for me to create reusable templates that I can apply countless times to different projects. And, it's helped me break down UX and UI to the smallest detail without losing focus or causing any confusion.

Pros

Milanote is a beautiful combination of UX and UI planning, and more. I've been able to use it for everything from website IA, moodboards, and portfolio design to resume-building and creative briefs. It's highly versatile. If you've ever used Trello, its Column and Note functions will feel pretty familiar. Another helpful feature is the ability to nest projects within each other. I.e., if you have a...

Cons

The only thing I would add to Milanote would be to have the ability to snap objects into place as you move them. The screen is set up with dots, sort of like a grid. This helps you line up items somewhat, but they're not always perfectly aligned with each other (they can end up slightly off from one another as you slide them around the screen).

I can't live without Milanote, I use it for EVERYTHING

Everything I used to do with a corkboard I can now do on Milanote. I have so much of my planning, writing, and proposals in this software now, it is my go-to anytime I need to quickly get something out of my head and onto "paper". It's the one software I can't imagine running my business without.

Pros

I use Milanote daily, for everything from mapping out a new story to creating wireframes for clients, to merely clipping quotes from the web for later use. It is such a versatile tool. I think of it like Evernote, but without all of the constraints. If you are a visual person who likes to storyboard out your ideas without having to fit it in a box, this is perfect. The templates are really great too.

Cons

The mobile app has been a long time coming and I'm getting happier with it by the day. I do wish I could share the live board with clients or friends without them needing to signup, like a view-only option, but that's not a dealbreaker since the export to PDF option fills in the gap.

Easiest way to organize strategies and workflows

This is the main tool that my team and I turn to when organizing new marketing campaigns, outlining strategies and gathering inspiration.

Pros

Super easy to organize ideas and share concepts with the team. The ability to add arrows, imagery and comments makes it super easy to decipher complex ideas with the team in one view. The ability to add links right onto the board with previews make for a great visual planning tool. The Milanote team provides amazing ongoing communication with examples of how other users organize their projects and new features

Cons

The comment feature is great for team input, but there is no way to hide comments while previewing the board without completely dismissing it/deleting the comment altogether. When sharing a collaborative board with my team, I would love it if they were able to view other's comments with the ability to turn the comment view on and off

Milanote is a great tool and fun to use

I use Milanote to help plan my website and make mindmaps about future content for my site. It's a great way to save notes and photos to inspire you and your team.

Pros

I love that you can organize thoughts and things in a visual way. The tool can be used to plan designs or anything really using a visual layout. You can also save links to websites and make notes etc. You can make some amazing mindmaps and vision boards using Milanote.

Cons

The price is a bit prohibitive for me personally. The free tier allows a medium level of usage. I think with a few more features it could replace other tools like evernote.

Fantastic way for me to organize my crazy ideas.

Ability to organize my thoughts and projects.

Pros

I love the basics of a movable board. It is most like my brain so I like to fill up images and colors to help brainstorm. The web clipper has been a huge improvement too and allowed me to read more articles.

Cons

Least I like the zoom option and sizing options. I fill boards a lot and would like to zoom out more easily, or have there be a way to make articles smaller on my board. I think of Adobe illustrator and how often I zoom in and out to see where I am at.

Easy and effective way creating Diagrams.

Pros

Milanote is great tool to create and draw your ideas/projects from the scratch. Or if you prefer you can start a project from template, making your job a lot easier.

Cons

I'm not a big fan of Milanote user experience, or user interface, it is outdated, hopefuly it wil lbe updated in the future.

Collaboration at its best.

Pros

Milanote is by far most efficient and most easy tool to use. Every feature is very well optimized and collaboration between me and my team is just amazing. We can even create a live chat and have a conversation about ongoing topics.

Cons

The only thing i dont like about MilaNote is its default color scheme which is not that pleasent to my eyes. Other then that it is perfect. Im sure they will work more on their UX.

Simple and effective

I use Milanote both personally and professionally, helping me keep on top of a range of projects. I can't imagine using any other software now.

Pros

I love the organisation of products like Trello but needed something more visual and flexible. Milanote definitely helps with that - images, files, to do lists, notes etc... all in a pinboard style. Boards can be nested as well, which is great for organising large-scale projects and preventing it from becoming overwhelming.

Cons

It is basic, but that's by design and means it's not overloaded with features. However, an archive functionality would be very useful. I'm very happy with Milanote. An app would be handy, but not essential.

Can't live without it but needs an offline mode and iPad app

Pros

It's like virtual post it notes so it's so easy for me to think and brainstorm. I can have multiple projects going at once and easily flip Between them all.

Cons

No offline mode so can't work on planes, etc. No app which kills me as I use my iPad for most of my conception Can't copy between now boards.

Helps me see the bigger picture

A lot! It's been a great addition to my workflow.

Pros

Helps me manage my projects, especially the creative projects. It's flexible and fun to use. I can export my canvases.

Cons

Limitations in colour-coding. Can't have more than one canvas open. Can't zoom out. Still can't open files (like PDFs, etc) in the app.

Userfriendly, convinient, excellent customer service.

Easy to use, user friendly, great customer service.

Pros

I like how this is a virtual pin board of ideas. It is convinient because you log in quickly and post your ideas and your team mates see it instantly. They can even move your idea around to a different category. It's way better than a physical board because of how quick and easy it is to use. It's a user friendly interface. I like how I can use the Chat service anytime I have a question, and their team is always willing to assist us if we need it.

Cons

We mainly use it to manage our projects and as an idea sharring platform. Not sure what else to use it for. Great Idea though!

Extremely powerful visual brainstorming tool

Surprisingly fun visual tool for brainstorming. I'd love to be able to afford it.

Pros

Milanote is an easy to use and very powerful tool for those who work through problems and projects visually and spatially. Although the purpose of the various tools is obvious, the onboarding was perfect. It's fun to use! You could fool around for hours experimenting. The templates are helpful. I like being able to layer boards on top of boards. This is much more than a moodboard or scrapbook app. Very intelligently implemented.

Cons

The free plan is very limited and I'm not sure you can prove the tool's value to use with only 100 elements allowed. But 10 bucks a month per user for unlimited elements and storage isn't a bad price.

Collaborating Creatively

I have been using Milanote for a little over a year now and believe it has increased my productivity and allowed our team to contribute in a more well rounded way. The templates are a great starting point, especially if you are stuck somewhere on a project.

Pros

I love the preset templates that Milanote offers and the real-time collaboration it supports. For any step along the creative process, I can integrate Milanote to share progress with my team. I like that when I project is finished, I can export all the boards used and archive them offline, locally on my computer.

Cons

I wish there was more space to work with on the free version, so that I could experience taking a project from start to complete without having to purchase

Love at First Try

Pros

Seriously, this one is a gem!! Great job guys! Finally an app I wanted to use everyday. I use it to manage all my work, from pitch to finished product. You literally can do EVERYTHING there, no need to jump from app to app.

Cons

Maybe the card limitation for the free user plan :(

Very Useful, Especially for Creatives

Pros

I love how intuitive the platform is. I just jumped right in and figured it out in a breeze. I love all the different content types you can easily add to your note and that it syncs across all devices.

Cons

I would love to have a Milanote app for my iPhone, hoping that's on their roadmap! I also wish that when accessing the site from Chrome on my iPhone browser, I could save a photo to my phone from my board.

Creative briefs with style

As the design lead of a team, I use Milanote to create briefs for my team where they have all the info necessary to do their creative work. It's a way for them to have something to look back to and continue creating.

Pros

I like the ease of use of Milanote. I use it to brief my design team on new projects. I like how visual it is and fits right to my target audience: fellow creatives. It is quick and easy to build up a full creative brief with the app (adding text or images, etc) and then in the same way, instantly shareable with a group or individual people. I like the idea of a scrapbook on a digital platform.

Cons

The service is quite powerful as is, maybe adding a way to make a presentation out of the board would help communicate things to intended audiences.