StarChapter Logo

StarChapter Reviews

User ratings

4.3

• Likelihood to recommend7.67/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

Technical support was very good and responsive. The knowledge base and training resources were excellent.
Star chapter is very responsive, they have competitive pricing and they offer a great product.
What we were most pleased with was the ability to integrate with PayPal to streamline our dues and meeting registrations.
Changing registration forms, different fields were lost. When the previous financial platform existed, we lost registrations & funding documentation.
Their software is VERY difficult to edit. There are 3 places to enter the editing mode but each section only shows a protion of what you need you need to edit, making the experience very infuriating.
Limited layouts, poor user interface, limited customization, expensive.

StarChapter users...

Constant Contact-logocaret

Constant Contact

Cvent Event Management-logocaret

Cvent Event Management

How would you rate StarChapter?

LaToya L.

Nurse Consultant

Management Consulting, self-employed

Local CMSA Chapter

Transcript

Latoya L.: Hi, my name is Latoya. I am an independent nurse consultant and I give StarChapter a four...

Don’t do it

Transcript

Mary G.: Hi, my name's Mary, I am a director of social media. And I am giving a two star rating for StarChapter...

StarChapter review: It met our requirements

We needed to move to a website with more back office functionality including e-commerce and e-mail and membership management. StarChapter does that very well once implemented

Pros

I liked the integration capabilities. Once one learns the software , its very easy to manage

Cons

Migrating from a more traditional website platform, it took some time to rebuild the content in a more object oriented fashion. I like it , but I found the training to lack a high level view that would have been a huge help in bridging from our old system to StarChapter. The implementation team on our side are all tech savvy, but not with StarChapter so learning how it was set up took more time than...

Starchapter

I am not sure what business problems it helps solve, but site can be easily navigated.

Pros

After you learn how to use the features it is easy to navigate. I was a hands on taught rather than reading through knowledge manuals.

Cons

Not being able to change items and keep prior item unless they are deleted. Have to go back into a tab several times to make sure it is correct. Not very user friendly. Cannot update colors, fonts, etc. without spending time going through the changes.

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. If you could please enter a support ticket, our team will get in touch with you to provide any necessary help.

Platform with tremendous promise & responsive customer service, but has a steep learning curve.

StarChapter's pitch is that they provide an efficient and effective CRM and website solution for small, under-resourced associations. Three months in, I can see how it will become that solution with a significant investment in time. In the interim, we have lost some business and aggravated some members and it will take time to recoup those losses. At the same time, it is real value for the money. Trying to replicate the functions included in StarChapter through other platforms or combinations of platforms would be everywhere from 50% to 125% more than StarChapter.

Pros

First, StarChapter has a solid value proposition for a small organization -- competitive with Wild Apricot and similar "value" options. However, biggest selling point is its customer support. Unlike Wild Apricot, StarChapter doesn't outsource set up and has an in-house design team that walks you through the process. (start up cost 1/3rd of what I was quoted to set up a Wild Apricot site!). They were very accommodating and worked hard to create a web layout that replicated our branding image, and were able to integrate some external features. The final product exceeded expectations at launch, and was handled seamlessly.

Cons

The steep, steep learning curve and the absence of an on-call service line. Although the set up was excellent, I was not ready to manage the system on my own when we launched. As a result, I really struggled to complete basic tasks, and made lots of errors that resulted in member frustration or confusion. I was able to send in support tickets and get responses - usually within 24 hours, but the damage was often done by the time I got an answer. I think a comprehensive user manual - whether on-line or downloadable, would be really helpful. The knowledge base is very segmented and it's not easy to get step by step instructions when you need them.

I regret this purchase so far

I am not happy. Customer service always finds reasons why the problem is about me, instead of about their non-user-friendly platform.

Pros

It's attractive for the users. When you can get the features to work it has a polished looks. Content added in the admin menu is automatically added to the website.

Cons

Where do I start? I have a long list of complaints about this platform. If it were more user-friendly it would be great. Unfortunately it is not user-friendly or intuitive. I have used other systems that required much less customer service requests on my part. I would not call myself a tech expert but I do tend to navigate technology with mild to little difficulty, including editing my own website and some light coding, so I am not a complete novice. I am constantly having to go back and rewatch support videos or fiddle with the system because its just not intuitive. If and when i do figure out something that should be simple, the features are pretty nice, but the platform is so frustrating that I have not found the transition worth my while and I regret it.

Thank you for posting a review, we would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further and we'll reach out to schedule some time.

Small Texas Association

There are some features of the software that are excellent. I really like the email communication interface. Our biggest concern is that there is very little ability to customize to your association needs. Customization of the site is not an option and work around options are complicated, confusing & time consuming for the board. Communication between the front and admin end can be mismatched....

Pros

The email communicating system.

Cons

The mismatch of options on the front end, individual profile end, and admin end of the site. The inability to set standard views for daily use (defaults for individual members) The complicated way the profile editor is displayed. The inability to have custom drop downs made (similar to the State drop-down) for large comprehensive lists - these need to be on both the front end - application and member profile editor as well as the admin member manager area.

"StarChapter has Made my Job Easier"!

Our main experience was ease of payment which is something we had struggled with. Members and guests can go to our new StarChapter website, register and pay for events and membership with ease. I no longer have to run payments and keep lists of who has registered or who has become a new member, etc.

Pros

I was weary about how easy it was supposed to be to use, but it really is easy to use. If I have a question, it is answered very quickly. Migration from our old website was done so accurately that we only had additions not issues.

Cons

I am fairly new to StarChapter so when something appears difficult, I just ask!

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad StarChapter is able to meet your chapter's needs.

User Experience

It's pretty easy to use the platform, but I wish it did not feel outdated. I have not really noticed any new features added to the system and I have been using it for several years now.

Pros

This platform was easy to learn. I like the store that is available automatically within the system.

Cons

Limiting and does not offer current website trends easily.

Thank you for your feedback. Our new layout series, the M Series, is available, please submit a ticket to our support team to get a redesign scheduled. The impact of a brand-new website design on an organization can be significant to your membership, sponsorship, and volunteer programs.

Great option for small non-profits

Pros

I was not around for the implementation, but this software and its features were easy to learn upon taking over the role of administrator. It allows us to maintain a very professional internet presence for our small chapter, and it is a robust and easily customizable communication tool to reach our members and prospective members. It incorporates member services, meeting planning, member surveys, sponsor support and chapter e-commerce among other things. We don't use every capability it has, but we know it will give us the option to grow. And whenever I have any issues, the support team at StarChapter always responds quickly.

Cons

Some of the features are not always intuitive to find/update, but the knowledge base and the support team does help make up for that.

Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate your feedback.

Review of StarChapter use

Overall very pleased. Response to support ticket requests is generally short term responses from technical support.

Pros

The ease of use of the software and its intuitive nature.

Cons

Complexity with adding CSV member lists for integration in to notification triggers.

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Please enter a support ticket regarding adding member lists so that our team can assist.

Very happy with Starchapter

Extremely pleased with SratChapter's value for cost. It does an excellent job helping us stay organized and moving forward!

Pros

It's an all-in -one solution for membership and event management. Handles charges, lists, everything I need.

Cons

It would be nice if the meeting setup function could let us save and restore a bank of standard questions that we always ask. Having to re-create the same bank of questions for each conference is repetative.

Has a lot of options, but needs more common functionality

The migration process was not stressful, the StarChapter people that worked with us on implementation were great. It was after we got launch that it seems the "help desk" side takes a while to respond. Although out of 3 tickets I have submitted, two items got resolved, so they are batting 66%.

Pros

It simplifies my job which in external communication for member of our non-profit group. Rather than logging into multiple different platforms to set up events, I only have to login to one. The website user side is also easy to maintain.

Cons

It seems to lack more common functionality options that other sites (Eventbrite, SurveyMonkey, Mailchimp) have. The defaults seem odd, specifically for the meeting ticket generation - multiple people are used to a live list of tickets purchased/attendees shown on the meeting page, which this does not have - The newsletter is not very customizable when you have different levels of sponsors, I have to go in each time and remove the code of the sponsors I don't need on the newsletter - And for some reason we had a big problem with register member's usernames being deleted

StarChapter

We’ve been very happy.

Pros

I like how it organizes everything. We have all our meetings, membership etc. we have board documents. It’s a great tool! I love the communication tools and tracking. We really have simplified our whole process.

Cons

It can seem that it may not be the best bang for your buck at first because you’re not really using it to its full potential. As you get deeper into it and learn all the functions and capabilities of the program you definitely feel like it’s worth it.

Great Platform

I was working on 2 systems in the past and I love this integrated platform!!

Pros

We had a home grown system for 15+ years. We decided we needed to update the look and it make it an all in one system for sign ups, membership, events, etc. We looked at many different products and found Star Chapter best met our needs.

Cons

I am learning new things all the time and am sure . I wish there was someone to talk to in a quicker manner. Since we joined all questions are in writing and can take at least 2 days to get an answer and often times there are follow ups so even longer. I find the videos and help questions helpful but my only complaint would be more customer service employees.

StarChapter Review - Two Months In

It's still early in the transition process for us. Once the payment system is up and running it will be easier for me to answer this question.

Pros

The integration process went pretty well. We like the ability for our members to have access to certain areas and the admin access for our board members is great. Having the website and member management system together is great too.

Cons

The biggest issue for me has been the customer support when I have a question or issue with something I am working on or trying to figure out. It would be nice to be able to talk with an expert in the system vs. submitting a ticket and waiting for an email response. When you call the customer support number they just take the information and submit a ticket. We came from a system that did have live customer support and would work through the "issue", answer questions, etc. real time. I miss that~ More live training would have been helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you need additional training, please reach out to our team and we will schedule that for you.

Easy to use and affordable

Database information, reports are limited but its better than nothing, which is what we had before. Ability to let my committees and board find out info without me doing or sending it.

Pros

Ease of use, ability to get a nicely designed website, database membership list upload and event management.

Cons

Limited email design capacity and metrics, limited ability to make changes to live events to tickets- if you have a change you have to recreate the ticket- very frusturating, the newsletter and emails are very hard to update and send. If it were like mailchimp or constant contact, that would be better.

Good for the basics

Pros

StarChapter combines all of the functions chapters use for membership/website/registration under one "roof". This can save time and provide additional functionality.

Cons

The options for website customization are quite limited, and the design options are very basic. Some functions also do not work well which can be aggravating.

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Our new layout series, the M Series, is available! The announcement has had an overwhelming response. We are currently scheduling redesigns to this new layout series. If you'd like to add your chapter to the waitlist to start the new year with a new look, please submit a ticket to our support team. The impact of a brand-new website design on an organization can be significant to your membership, sponsorship, and volunteer programs.

Near Perfect

Pros

It is a cost-effective way to manage association information, particularly with officer transitions. It also allows for quick and easy web site updates and various notifications to different member types. It has made membership information management and document retention a breeze as well!

Cons

Meeting registration requires multiple steps, which may be a deterrent for members who don't often use a computer or need to take extra steps to pay for an event , etc.

Easy to use for beginners but Limiting for experts

Great customer service when having issues.

Pros

Very simple forward motion on basic activities. Easy to set up and begin organizing member data.

Cons

Members/ Non-member designation, dues payment date restrictions makes it hard to re-activate expired members/ pending members. Lots of work-arounds to make things easy for member, but a pain for admin.

Work Made Simple Thanks to StarChapter

We have been with StarChapter for many years and I couldn't be more pleased. The ease of the website and database makes my work life so much easier. The website was extremely easy to implement. Our membership loves the ease of the website too. I have needed to use the StarChapter Customer Service on occasion (especially for things I don't use often) and they are very prompt and attentive. They follow up afterwards too. StarChapter cares about you as much on day one as they do five or six years down the road. They are constantly striving for excellence. I would highly recommend StarChapter!

Pros

I love everything about StarChapter

Cons

I have not come across any cons

Great customer support

Pros

The software has SO many pluses for association management. Although I've used it for 3 years, I'm still finding great ways that it can help me analyze data and improve service

Cons

Some functions seem to require duplicate steps (member registration) and I'd like that streamlined

Thanks for sharing your review. We are glad to hear that StarChapter has helped with managing your association.

setting up event using Star Chapter

It would be nice if you have some instruction on your screen. My team is not familiar with Star Chapter and it is challenging to support our events. Is it possible to schedule a webinar training with real person who we can ask questions?

Pros

The campaign functionalities cover email, survey, tickets etc. One stop shopping.

Cons

Hard to understand how to set up tickets, coupons and vouchers. Not sure how to refund the ticket.

Thanks for posting your review, Emily! I StarChapter customers can schedule an on-demand training with a StarChapter Specialist anytime! Please request training by either opening a support ticket through the Admin Area of your StarChapter software or emailing customercare@starchapter.com. When you send the email/open the support ticket, we advise you include the best way you wish to be communicated (phone/email) and your availability. Our team works 9am to 5pm EST and would be able to schedule a training after 4pm, per your request. We value your feedback!

StarChapter has been in my life for years.

Overall I love StarChapter and it's capabilities for the low price it is offered for. You can't beat it!

Pros

StarChapter is very user friendly and allows many members of our association the ability to keep their team information up-to-date. The website updates do not need to be handled by a web designer and can easily be learned anyone.

Cons

There are a few features that could use improvement such as there are too many clicks needed when registering for an event, there is no way to add virtual login information to a calendar invite that can be saved after you register, and it would be great to have a message system that links cell phone numbers to opt in to receive text messages.

There are a lot of choices, Star Chapter works for us

Star Chapter provides a good alternative for our size operation (about 3/4 million). I think you should check out all options before deciding on SC, but it works for us.

Pros

We adopted Star Chapter after using Abila and did not miss a beat. The people are good to work with. We are a two person office and the other person, not me, does the work on the Website and I do the Database.

Cons

Some of the functionality is clunky. Since I focus on the database, it works ok for me. We have company memberships which causes some problems.

As long as you know all the steps it is fine but my experience is that like most software somethings do not always makes sense from a customer stand point. That's when you need help and if you can get a quick session schedule it works great but if not it is very frustrating. I would take a long look at their technical support system and implement changes that benefit the customer and provide them with more effcient system.

Pros

Once you learn the system it is good and our membership does like it

Cons

It is extremely difficult to get answers on simple questions regarding formatting or setting up an event, email, or survey. If you do not set up a time for an online session and that normally takes 2 to 3 days then you are lost. It would be great to have a call back feature where a representative could call you back and answer quick questions so you can complete a project on time. An online session is not needed for simple questions

Board of Directors Best Friend

StarChapter has simplified filing, sales and membership issues. Don't know how we did it when it was so manual before.

Pros

I love that all the documents, such as board meeting notes, marketing material and more can be saved on StarChapter. Sometimes it's difficult to contact one of you board members, they may be out on vacation or in meetings all day. Know I can just go into StarChapter and get what I need without having to reach out to other members. It also has a great dashboard that gives me membership details along with sales details.

Cons

It does not allow you to create and mail out CPE certificates for members. This would be an huge plus!