Figma Reviews

Figma

Collaborative platform for UI designing and prototyping

Figma

Review Summary

Pros

In my company we used Invision, Marvel, Balsamiq, Sketch and other software but Figma is, at the moment, the best design tool thanks to many facilities for shared mockups.

David M.

Raúl V.

With Figma, we have a powerful tool that puts collaboration at its heart and makes it really quick to find designs we love and get them live. It's changed the way we work in a really amazing way.

Rob C.

Cons

Just so this block isn't left empty, being almost completely cloud-based meaning all files are stored in the cloud except saved locally it could be a hindrance when having poor or no internet.

David A.

It's sometimes sluggish, as it runs in a browser. It doesn't have any other killer features which make it stand out from its competitors.

Vincent D.

You need to be always online to be able to work with Figma and this is a problem if you are without internet.

Rolly C.

I was opposed to Figma, but then I tried it

Pros

Being in the industry for a decade, we were using a variety of tools for UX/UI Design. But Figma has conquered our minds with the next most impactful features: collaborativeness, ease of use (thank you components), cross-platform approach.

Cons

Managing files could be significantly improved by adding folders and tagging. Projects are not enough.

Never expected that design collaboration could be that easy.

Pros

All in one... I moved to Figma for the purpose of design collaboration but as I kept using it I realized it have everything that I need to design a product. From website design to mobile apps I'm all in on Figma. The prototype creation is smooth and the best part above all it kept improvising and understanding all about what we designers as a user want from a design tool.

Cons

Although the prototype creation is smooth but it only allows you to have one main frame on a page. That creates problem for me when creating prototypes for micro interactions. I have to create multiple pages to have multiple prototypes. There are easier ways in terms of experience to fix it and I hope sooner Figma will improve this part too.

Figma software easily hacked; no support

This is not good; it’s been hacked and figma refuses to deal with it. I have screen shots that show my gmail email as the account email; and that’s how i sign in, but someone has set it to go to a different email at a company that i am contracting at.

Pros

It’s hard to appreciate anything if my identity is hacked.

Cons

I changed my email 2+ weeks ago; and 2fa validated; the system shows my new email; and i now login using my email; but somehow my email was changed and my support questions are going to my old email. From Jun 11 onwards, multiple times someone has accessed my account and added them as a viewer to my files.

Figma should be the industry standard for UX/UI design

As somebody who deals with complex applications, the collaboration and design system capabilities Figma brings to the table is just awesome. I switched from Sketch which covers some of the functionality but it's very hard to create and maintain a design system which mirrors how developers build up interfaces. Figma enables and encourages you to think in components and build and scale a design system as oppose to individual screens. This approach is essential to any product-based business.

Pros

- Collaboration: follow every update in real time. Sharing designs with client? You don't need to worry if they look at the latest updates or not. Collaborating with others on a design? No need to sync or update - it happens in real-time and automatically. - Components: very easy to use components and start to apply an atomic design approach. - Design system-centered thinking: Figma nailed a bunch of tedious and cumbersome design tasks: for example, it was not intuitive to work with layer styles, text styles and colors in Sketch (before I switched to Figma in 2018). In Figma, you can apply a saved color to texts, vector objects - anything. Very easy to work with saved text presets as well - they all built in a way to help you re-use them.

Cons

- The design (UI) of the interface is not so nice :) After 2 weeks I stopped noticing it, but as a designer it bugged me at the beginning. - In some cases it takes time to load. - Figma updates the software regularly which in some cases means a completely new interface - and sometimes not all the updates are very intuitive (though they are iterating pretty rapidly so that's a good thing)

Best design tool for collaborative work

If there is more than one designer in your team who have to collaborate on the same project, there is no better time to stay in sync and work on the same screens at the same time.

Pros

- Collaborative work in Real-Time - Projects instead of files - Intuitive interface - Software speed - Projects sharing with reviewers - Free plan is enough for small teams

Cons

- Not too many plug-ins (Plug-Ins are quite new feature in Figma and the library is growing!) - Custom fonts are not supported

Just Amazing

Overall experience is just amazing.

Pros

Everything is just amazing. This is one of those softwares where you just enjoy working with. Easy to use... self intuitive and comes very natural. Zero learning curve. Best feature is overlay transition when creating prototypes. Couldn't find this in any other software.

Cons

Only one feature that I'm missing is to replace an instance of component for any other component. There's something similar but not exactly what I'd like to see.

Lovvvvve

Pros

Collaborating with teammates, SHARED LIBRARIES, ease in creating a design system, real time feedback, prototyping, intuitiveness, non-designers can open in browser, the list goes on and on. Honestly, I love using it and enjoy creating in it. I first tested it out to decide if I wanted to switch from another program I was using, it took about a day of using to completely be on board and start using Figma primarily.

Cons

My biggest shortcoming with Figma is that I can't access files when not online. Couple use cases: 1, I've been on flights and don't have wifi. 2, My neighborhood's power was down so no wifi at home and no wifi in the surrounding area.

Great for teams of designers working on small design projects

In general, Figma has been great. As mentioned in the cons section, it can get a little slow if a project is too big. I've also run into some small bugs with updating libraries and propagating those changes through other files. The issues resolve themselves when I restart the Figma desktop client, though.

Pros

All files are in the cloud which makes collaboration with other team members very easy. We can all contribute to the same design...even at the same time.

Cons

If projects get too big or a prototype gets too complex, the software can get kind of slow.

Favorite Tool to use For UI DesignU

It has been a positive one I got to work faster and more efficient.

Pros

I love how fast Figma is and how it allows me to finish my projects in a shorter amount of time than before. My favorite features are creating components and using styles. This has helped me to create a design system before starting to design a website. Also, the collaboration option is very useful because I can work with different members on my team at the same time.

Cons

There's really nothing bad about this tool. It offers everything I need to design my UI projects.

Figma - a free Sketch

Figma makes collaborating on designs, as easy as it could possibly be. No more sending a design file around a company - everyone works in the same place and its lovely.

Pros

Coming from Sketch, Figma feels super familiar and it works just as you'd expect it to. The collaboration aspect is fantastic - both in being able to work simultaneously with other designers, but also in demoing the site to clients and showing them in detail how to get around the site/design.

Cons

When using larger files - IE designs with large image assets etc, Figma can become a little sluggish.

The Future of Digital Design

Overall, I had a incredibly pleasant experience switching our design teams over to this platform, and I certainly believe that Figma is the best option for design in the current year (2019-2020).

Pros

The best part about this software, in my opinion, is that it has a feature rich web-application that has all the essential tools to effectively create design wire-frames. Almost every other major competitor available only supports a desktop version of the application, which can cause a handful of issues. The most notable issue that we ran in to was Operating System compatibility. Some of our designers preferred using a software that was only available on a specific operating system and would lead to some compatibility issues when the project was passed on to another designer who preferred using a different platform.

Cons

The one issue we ran in to while using this software is plugin support. Our previous software had a massive plugin directory simply because they have been around for an incredibly long time compared to Figma, so some of the productivity tools and add-ons that our designers enjoyed using were not available on this platform. I do believe that this will change over time as the platform matures.

A serious boon to Product Designers

Excellent. Hoping for more advancements to make building large enterprise solutions easier, especially states for components.

Pros

The multiplayer aspect of Figma is a HUGE plus to the efficiency of the team. We're able to work remotely very easily. It being cloud based completely negates the need for multiple files. Even creating a design system library was a breeze

Cons

Figma has been in the market for a few years now. Yet, there aren't enough applications integrating with it. There is also a lack of plugins due to limitations from their API's

My favorite tool for design today.

The first time I used it, I was surprised at how fluidity it accepted my commands. The editing tools have quick response, and do not consume as much memory or processing as the most popular products on the market. It is a very well optimized tool, and it has a simplified and intelligent editor. In our team we use to design new features for our software and conduct usability testing with real users.

Pros

It's great for med/high fidelity prototypes. I can show others about the functionalities of a website or app I'm working on, including interactions and onboarding, will look like. Great for sharing with the team a product vision, or simply presenting to a customer. In addition I can still do real time editing with colleagues in the same project, and it automatically saves everything in the cloud, figma is a marvel.

Cons

Integration with Adobe Fonts account is still a downside, I need to have the fonts installed in my pc.

Figma transformed our entire design <> developement cycle

Figma allows us to make better, more precisely designed products, faster than ever before, and we can't think of going back to old tools and methodologies.

Pros

Figma allows our designers and developers to work and collaborate with a single tool. The design and product team design in Figma and the developers go in and take all their necessary assets and info for development. Everything is synced in the cloud so there's never the issue of trying to find old versions, and the cycle for development is shrunk to a minimum. Figma allows our designers to focus on the best design and the developers are never stuck without their assets.

Cons

I believe there's still a need for better organization tools. In a big team with lots of projects, it can be hard to organize everything in a sane manner.

Not a steep learning curve coming from designing in Sketch

It's been a seamless experience working with the software. Great controls, love the previewing experience so I can test designs on different devices. Love being able to collaborate with the team and see what everyone's working on. It'll definitely be more efficient in the long run.

Pros

Helps the team stay super organized, love the real-time collaboration and being able to see one another's cursors. I was coming from Sketch so I was worried about having to learn a new software, but the only real difference is better vector handling in Figma and some differences in menus/navigation within the app. Once I got the hang of it, it's made workflow so easy especially with type styles and other pre-set elements from our team's design system.

Cons

The top navigation within the app is a little hard to understand. The Category / Project title in the center of the workspace seems to me like it would also be usable as navigation, but if I click The Category it takes me into trying to move the file to a different location, when really I'm just intuitively trying to jump up to the next level of hierarchy. Getting "back to files" view is not super intuitive.

All in one!

Pros

If you're familiar with Sketch, this is similar but way better! I've been using it for a while and find it way powerful. It includes its own prototype solution so you don't have to integrate with another prototyping tool (like InVision or Marvel) and does really really well. Also, the inspect mode is included (so, again you don't need to integrate with, i.e. Zeplin). Symbols works fine, prototyping is great, inspect very useful, permits are a must, live view is awesome to see what other are doing in real time + comments. Autosave thumbs-up! Cloud storage also nice!

Cons

Manage and find comments its a little bit awkward yet and there are no plugins (but they're coming soon!) Live view is a powerful tool but take care people don't abuse of it.

The best software for design today

We use Figma for all our design projects, we love it a lot. We switched from Sketch and now we don't have a problem of having 200 files with different versions, we have only one online that every designer and developer uses.

Pros

- Sketch + Indesign combined - Powerful functionality, no lags / speed issues - Easy to use by business people, designers, and devs - Improves the time to dev due to better specs available in Figma - Great for comments and collaboration

Cons

- Organization of shared folders could be better - Shareable links could be easier to generate with custom parameters - e.g. view only, edit and view, etc.

A PLAYERS USE FIGMA !

My self and my company - WE LEVELED UP !!!

Pros

Amazing Tool for Design. Beats everybody else and the team behind is really making the effort to improve the product and move it forward !!! I like how easy, practical and simple Figma is + there are a lot of tutorials inside and outside, so if you want to master it for real - you have the resources !! Also You have FIGMA MOBILE, where you see the clicked screen on your mobile phone REALTIME. I use this for my iPhone X - totally amazing tool ! Myself and my company leved up because of Figma!

Cons

Some minor features are missing, for example to extract a screen with the frames, but I think it will be implemented in the future.

I'm in love with Figma!

Finally, a tool that is actually meant for web and UI design!

Pros

Figma is so beautiful and smooth... it's fast, it has awesome features and it's everything I have always wanted in a web design and user interface tool. For years I've been waiting for a tool like this, the Photoshop and Illustrator days are over! Figma is easy to use and makes the design process a lot easier and faster. I love the live preview for mobile devices and that nobody has to download anything to preview the design. Also, it works on any computer regardless of your OS. Compared to Adobe XD and Sketch, Figma is 100% superior and more powerful. For small teams or individual work, the free version is more than enough.

Cons

For some people it might be weird to use it or even consider that a browser-based software could be as good as Sketch or other installable software but it will blow your mind. There's nothing I don't like about it. For all the designers out there, definitely give a try! It will surprise you, in a good way.

Best design/brainstorm/collaboration tool

Amazing. Im the Figma evangelist at my work and converted everyone.

Pros

It took alot of great features from illustrator, sketch and made them better. From porting over familiar shortcuts, to improving the pen tool..so much goodness. Multiplayer instant-syc, instant-save..

Cons

Well the usual downtimes every once in a while and theres always that offline risk at the back of my mind but well worth it.

The tool all designers need to use

Highly recommend any designer to start using Figma. Never lose your work again due to a crash and access your work from anywhere!

Pros

It's cloud based so anyone can access it at anytime from anywhere. It makes collaboration very easy and also to see your revision history.

Cons

So far nothing! Our team loves Figma and we moved away from using Sketch and Adobe as this tool is more efficient for our workflow

Figma is the best UI design tool on the market

I love it. It's the best.

Pros

I have used illustrator (in the old days) sketch, Adobe XD, Invision studio and many more. For real world product design with stakeholders, developers, managers, teams, etc. Figma is hands down the best tool. Because it's all web based you have one source of truth. There is no syncing files across Dropbox, ensuring the team is looking at the right file, syncing discrepancies, etc. In addition any user can open a link in their browser to start working, export assets, or colaborate in real time on a design. It's the best.

Cons

Figma needs to improve it's mockup and prototyping tools. A huge part of product design is getting high fidelity mockups in front of users quickly and figma struggles in this area. You can do basic baisc mockups but you can't do more realistic mockups.

An Excellent Tool for Collaborative Design

Figma has allowed my design team to collaborate more closely and effectively by making design collaboration and sharing seamless.

Pros

Figma's best features are that it allows collaborative design work and that it makes sharing designs so easy. When designing collaboratively on Figma, multiple designers can work on the same file at once, which has been a great way for my team to generate lots of design ideas. The engineering and performance of this feature is impressive. Even with many designers making many changes at once, the application does not slow down, and everyone sees changes immediately.

Cons

My only complaint about Figma is that it takes a while to open some files. However, this is only with very large files. Overall, Figma is still a great product!

I LOVE Figma

Pros

I love that it's web-based but you can also download it and everything's in one place. It opens quickly and everything's really fast. They are constantly improving the performance and adding new tools and features. They recently added the PDF export feature and that shows that they really listen to their users because that was one of the most requested features.

Cons

They changed the way the artboards work and now when trying to resize them it tries to resize/move EVERYTHING in it. It didn't do that a couple of updates ago. It's extremely annoying and it just doesn't make sense to me why it behaves like that. So I have to group everything, move it out of the artboard, resize the artboard and then move everything back in. Not good!

One of the best

Easy to set up, free, intuitive and a huge value for designers and overall website creators .

Pros

I love this product, really. It's so simple and offers a huge value to me personally. If its mockups for marketing, or designing assets for my own website, this tool is one of the best.

Cons

I don't like to have to stay online, but that is part of the idea. Also there are some features I miss, for example I run into issues with customizing the outline of an object. There are a lot hidden features you don't know at the beginning, I would like to see more tutorial from you guys!