Moodle Logo

4.3

2.6K

Rating criteria

Reviews by rating

Moodle is a great way to make learning for students fun and interactive! it is fun, colorful, and very engaging.
They offer incredibly detailed configuration options and the community is full of wonderful active people that are always there to help you if it's needed.
The overall experience using Moodle is good. It great to navigate even if your a first time user and is very effective in online teacher especially during this pandemic.
The overall experience was dull, heavy, and made everyone unhappy and struggling.
It is now a bulky applications with hell lots of features, it will take you around 2-3 months to properly go through every feature, no matter how fast you are.
Moodle can be difficult to find classes you are taking. I have had struggles signing into my class and finding them.

2,643 reviews

Alan T.

Educational Consultant

Education Management, self-employed

Moodle - The Perfect Open Source LMS

Transcript

Alan: Hi, my name's Alan. I'm a Educational Technology Consultant. I would rate Moodle a 5, and for more...

Samuel S.

Director

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Moodle is a great LMS and very professional

Transcript

Samuel: Hi, my name is Samuel. I'm a director. And I'd rate Moodle four out of five. And if you want...

Marco M.

Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees

How to create, experiment and get results in Education, with happy students, too .

We have deep experience in running Moodle workloads and design IT structures to run it at his best.We have also created content and integrated with other environments, especially in the office and classrooms. Even with the toughest integration the Moodle Ecosystem had a solution in form of an existing plugin, in a similar use case, or at least some people willing to be available to help. THis is not that common in other environments.

Pros

Moodle allows great flexibility to a teacher to create edutational content, to fine tune the learner interactions, to measure advances, to support the learning process, to integrate with the world. The flexibility of the architecture, associated by probably the best community dedicated to it, allows to create outstanding results. Open Source at his best

Cons

Like all great sw architecture, A great effort is reguired to keep them evolving. This is true in a true open-source development community like Moodle. For a long time it was the user interface who lagged behind, now with Version 4 a solution has been addressed with relevant results. We expect more coming with the integration of major new connectivity and social elements which is starting to be included

LD

Leeav D.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Moodle Review

I will rate my experience with Moodle a 9.8/10. Overall I am happy my university chose to use this as their learning management system.

Pros

The features I like most about this software are threefold:1. I enjoy that it centralized all my courses in one place and provided me with a holistic view of all my upcoming assignments and assessments. 2. I enjoy the "Student Info Station" because it played the role of a portal where I can communicate directly with my academic institution regarding finances, grade transcripts, or any other issues. 3. I love how user friendly this software is.

Cons

I least enjoy taking exams on Moodle's software. This is because there have been technical errors in the past when it came to submitting exams in real time.

Jamie C.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Too Inconsistent

We ended up switching from Blackboard to Moodle and then back to Blackboard again.

Pros

Moodle is pretty inexpensive, which is why we were willing to give it a try. It had quite a bit for the low cost.

Cons

Moodle has the potential to be wonderful, but there are just a number of inconsistencies that made us end up seeking a better solution. The User Interface is not terribly intuitive, leading to a number of complaints by end users. There were also quite unexpected outages or bugs that frustrated our team and students. It's just too inconsistent to rely on.

Alfredo G.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

El mejor y más completo LMS del mundo

Mi experiencia es la mejor, el apoyo de la comunidad para un LMS tan completo es de valorar. Permite integrar proyectos de todos los tipos, elearning, presencial, blearning, videoconferencias, educación formal, capacitación, etc. Es una gran plataforma.

Pros

Es el LMS más utilizado del mundo, es open source y cuenta con una de las comunidades más grandes del mundo, por lo que siempre encuentras información y ayuda para resolver cualquier particularidad que se llegue a necesitar. Entre lo que más me gusta se encuentra: - Es gratuito - No tiene límite de usuarios - Traducido a todos los idiomas - Excelente manejo de roles de usuarios, puedes crear roles...

Cons

Es dificil encontrar cosas que no me gusten. - Se critica mucho la cantidad de opciones que aparecen en la interfaz de los usuarios, lo que se mejora mucho en la última versión - Creo que le falta un poco de orientación al marketing, aunque algunos temas ya te lo permiten.

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. At Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. Discover Moodle 4.0's fresh and intuitive user experience. https://bit.ly/3bgVsDC Regards.

Adrián C.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

Moodle, enseñanza sencilla.

En mi periodo de formación, obtenía todos los contenidos de las asignaturas mediante Moodle, ya que implantar esta herramienta en los procesos de formación contribuye a que cada alumno o persona en formación disponga de los contenidos cuando sea, ya que el ritmo no es común.

Pros

Es fácil usar Moodle, cualquiera puede aprender a manejarlo. Lo mejor de todo es la organización que ofrece, ya que puedes tener todos los contenidos ordenados de forma óptima para los usuarios. Como los contenidos se puede descargan, es útil para implantar en métodos de enseñanza y así ahorrar papel.

Cons

Es necesario contar con una conexión a internet estable para que poder usar Moodle de forma óptima.

Eduardo P.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Moodle, the perfect tool for your institution.

It a powerful platform to administer academic institutions at any level.

Pros

The easiness of use, both for students and the academic staff. Setting up is complicated at the beginning, especially the general master configuration, once it is done, there is nothing to worry about.

Cons

The reporting functionality is not the best one. It has many options but the final result is not what you expect.

Bryan Jerico B.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Uso de Moodle en mi carrera profesional.

Gracias a Moodle, puedo subir mis archivos a la plataforma, ver mis notas, resolver mis examenes, conocer más mi entorno de trabajo y de estudio. Tiene que mejorar pero aun así me parece que por ahora es una buena plataforma.

Pros

Que sea gratuito, que tenga un gran nivel de respuesta entre cliente- usuario pero sobre todo, que sea un portal con los valores necesarios para ser implementado en cada área de cualquier carrera técnica o profesional.

Cons

Aveces por el consumo o tráfico de muchos usuarios, produce una lentitud en la carga de páginas y en las evaluaciones o exámenes, estás se actualizan de manera automaticas y hace perder la respuesta que habiamos seleccionado con anterioridad.

Joel M.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1,001-5,000 employees

Moodle is a good step for digitalising education but still needs more features

I find Moodle very useful and with some interesting characteristics. The basics for an education platform is done and it works but it needs more digital features, like online signing.

Pros

I like categorisation of the course into Projects or Topics, everything is very well clasified and it is not hard to find any document or characteristic you are searching into the platform. The notification management is simple and powerful. I like that you can download all documents included into a course just with one click.

Cons

It misses some important features, like documents digital signing, or checking the documents online without having to download them. Some features I have never used in my course and I think they are not useful, like the Forum for any task, which was empty and not useful.

Johannes S.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Open-Source Learning Platform

Pros

Moodle is open source, making it cost-effective to implement. The functionalities are extensive and the platform is open to modification and customization

Cons

The user interfaces are not as advanced as those of commercial competitors

Charlene G.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Moodle poodle

Pros

I got what the teachers were trying to send to help my daughter

Cons

I was one of those parents that could not even navigate moodle that well and I am reasonably tech-savvy. It isn't that the platform was not great or that it didn't serve its purpose, no it did what it intended. However, the amount of effort to load whatever documents or download pdfs with the correct format was ridiculously complicated.

Mamadou Lamine G.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Utilisateur_Moodle

Gestion informatisée des parcours de formation, des enseignants, des étudiants et des contenus pédagogiqueAssurer une modalité d'enseignement ou un d'apprentissage basée sur les approches pédagogiques hybride, inversée, à distance avec un mode de communication synchrone et/ou asynchrone.

Pros

Plateforme d'apprentissage open sourcePossibilité d'ajouter des plugins supplémentaires pour une adaptation aux besoins spécifiquesMise en oeuvre de l'approche par compétences avec l'outil "Competence", intégré dans MoodlePluralité d'outils intégrés pour la création de ressources et d'activités d'apprentissage

Cons

La prise en main n'est pas facile car elle nécessite un investissement en temps pour l'appropriation de l'environnement et des outils intégrésCertains plugins ne sont plus maintenus ou ne sont pas à jour par rapport à l'évolution de Moodle

Showing original review in French. See translation

Rikaz S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1,001-5,000 employees

A reliable learning platform with a vibrant community.

I'm proud to be a Moodle user for over 15 years and it's steady progress and the ability to have a paid rollout shows how much this Leaning Management System has grown over the years. If you are starting your E-Learning journey and want a LMS that is easy to use, free, & with an active community then look no further than Moodle.

Pros

I have been using Moodle since 2007 and boy, has it come a long way since then. The Learning Management System has always prided itself on being open and even back then had a wonderful community who are keen to help. Moodle is now widely available for instant installation in many hosting providers so it's easy to setup and there are plenty of paid and free resources to learn how to setup your first...

Cons

Being a free and open-source software, Moodle requires the user to be somewhat tech savvy with some basic knowledge of how code works and this is especially useful when needing HTML to prepare content. Since their is no customer support, Users should also be willing to seek help from the Moodle community forums which usually give good advice.

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. In Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. Moodle's network of Service Providers are certified by Moodle's exacting standards in customer service, technical capability and include our endorsed network of 100 Moodle partners and premium partners. Providing regionally relevant expertise in customisations, hosting, support and training. Find your Moodle Partner here: https://bit.ly/3tMjSve

AT

Alan T.

E-Learning, self-employed

Moodle - The Perfect Open Source LMS

I have used Moodle since 2005. I first introduced it to the school district I worked in. After its introduction, it became the number one online source for teachers, students, and parents. I based my doctoral thesis on the use of Moodle in our school district. I've also used it over the years, as an educational consultant, part-time college faculty remember, and educational trainer.

Pros

First off the software is free. If you have a server, either hosting yourself or hosting service, you can easily set up a Moodle. With a little experience, you are able to have your class up and running in no time. Easily import information into your course. Finally, there are numerous free plugins that enhance your course.

Cons

The biggest problem is if you find a plugin that you can use in your course if you don't have access to the backend to install you may run into problems with whoever administers the Moodle to install the plugins.

NB

Nathan B.

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

A Great Open Source LMS

Moodle was a great first LMS for our school. We used Moodle from the very beginning and it served us well until we reached about 3000 students. Beyond that, we felt we needed more stability from an out-of-the-box LMS. We essentially had no tech team at this time, so we elected to remove the tech aspect. Any organization that has the tech skills would do well with Moodle at much greater numbers.

Pros

The fact that it is open sources is really nice. There are really endless possibilities with Moodle as a result, you just need to have the tech skills and personnel to put your vision together. The ability to customize heavily is a huge selling point for Moodle, one you don't get with many other LMSs.

Cons

This goes against my point about loving the open source nature of the platform, but there is no real support. You can work with a Moodle partner to handle technical issues for you, but this is quite expensive. Instead, I found myself spending many hours reading through forums to try and solve problems myself. Managing the hosting and updating of Moodle is tough if you do not have a strong tech team.

HK

Harshil K.

Automotive, 10,001+ employees

E-learning Plus Full package of online studying

Extraordinary, learning with perfect understanding, ideation, E-learning, online learning leds to flexible learning.

Pros

I am a student of Hochschule Duesseldorf University of applied sciences. My university is on Moodle and my every second thing is operated by means of moodle. My lectures notes, attendance, research papers, books, Homework, assignments and even some times examinations with the end result everything is done on moodle platform. It is an complete platform for an university student. Every course is given...

Cons

Moodle can create a sudden limitation toward ones privacy as every one in the course is able to operate almost every thing which is available in the course material and forum which can be not a suitable thing for everyone. I think moodle should provide some privacy features like only xyz person can see and edit the files or works by which false marketing and copying can be avoided but it is just an suggestion from my side as in my class such a situation had arises in some previous time.

dipen c.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Easy to made learning platform

My overall experience with Moodle is really worthy. me and my team are creating new class, courses and tests on Moodle and it takes very small amount of time. Course management is really nice and User interface of Moodle is really understandable to students.

Pros

1. Free and effective open source learning. 2. Create easy assignments and learning management as per subject and as per class.

Cons

1. Bulky and heavy User interface. 2. No end to end security provided. 3. No option to signup user accounts automatically.

AS

Adonay S.

Information Services, 11-50 employees

An excellent learning management system

Although it was a bit difficult and had to figure it out on our own about the server setup, once it was working, the path to set up courses, integrating modules was pretty straight forward. Our already made SCORM resources were loaded without any major trouble and worked flawlessly.

Pros

It has lots of features 'right out of the box', setting it up once installed is relatively easy and it has a great community where you can find answers for almost every issue or 'how to setup X' you could find. Also, there are lots of modules made for the platform that integrate really well.

Cons

The recommended installation process (directly from server terminal) didn't work for us on any server we tried to deploy it. We ended setting all our instances via web (which is a very great option). Also, although they have lots of support about their features and setup, they don't have the same level of support on setting the platform under certain circumstances (at server level) like reverse proxies, nat, etc.

FL

Florian L.

Media Production, self-employed

Capable to power a whole university

While certain parts could be improved, the whole experience never feels overwhelming. Content can be grouped into weekly chunks to set the right rhythm for both teachers and students. Announcements and Q&As take place in discussion boards, with automatic email notifications for those who don’t want to check manually for updates. It is even possible to hold entire exams with automatic grading (for multiple choice questions) and an automatically generated score.

Pros

With not just employees but also students working from home, efficient educational software is more important than ever. Moodle is capable to power online teaching for a whole university, including online exams, file sharing, video uploads, discussion boards, surveys and homework submissions.

Cons

At the moment, there is no native video conferencing feature. We work around this limitation by pasting links from external platforms, like Zoom or Jitsi. It would be nice to have this functionality baked into the core, together with the possibility of referencing existing content inside the video call: documents, discussion boards, surveys, etc. Another pain point is the grading section. It is meant to calculate a student’s score based on homework submissions and online exams. Unfortunately, there are just too many figures relating to absolute score, relative score and more, so in the end it is hard to grasp what the final score is actually composed of.

CE

CLYDE EUGENE M.

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

Robust LMS

Overall, I would say Moodle has been great, since I have now mastered many aspects of the LMS. The first few months were painful, but it was all worth it.

Pros

Moodle is a robust LMS that we use at our university. It exceptionally manages student learning by offering the tools that educators need to teach in the 21st century. The quiz creation tools are what won me over from a competitor in this space. My reluctance to jump on board was further eased by discovering just how customisable it is. Admins can install new plugins that add extra functionality (and...

Cons

Moodle is a beast in terms of functionality and this, unfortunately, is its biggest drawback. It is not an easy job trying to onboard new faculty members with no background in IT. It has a somewhat steepish learning curve that can certainly be tackled but not without exerting some effort and patience. The UI is also not as inspiring. I am glad that recent updates have really modernised the look and feel of the LMS but other competitors excel in offering an intuitive out-of-the-box experience. This can be easily overcome by theming the LMS and Moodle has done well in allowing this though it needs an experienced professional to do this.

DV

Dianne V.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Superb solution but difficult to set up

I consult to clients who have tried to implement Moodle and recognise it's value but are struggling to get a practical, organised system. There are human issues of acceptance and the system isn't used, or the opposite where they have "created a monster" that is unwieldy. Once the system is structured correctly, and staff are trained in the right way to get the most benefit, it is always beneficial. Expensive paid systems force the client management team to go through a formal process of implementation including culture and planning, but a free system is often simply installed without strategy planning about how it is going to be used.

Pros

Moodle is opensource, and therefore inexpensive and low risk to test. If a company is considering eLearning, this should be your first option as a pilot. No pre-planning is as good as actual experience. The difficulty does not lie with the software, but that an eLearning system is a complex activity and is expected to meet the needs of very different users - different education levels, different technology capabilities and with different learning methods. Moodle shows if your company is ready for eLearning, and quickly gets you up and running. A lot of older training materials are in PDF, powerpoint and other formats, and Moodle allows "drag-and-drop" and importing of zip files or SCORM files.

Cons

This is difficult to set up, particularly if you want to make use of the assessments. You need to define your users and your strategy up front or it can become a muddle with different departments adding "courses". In a way it is almost TOO is easy to use, and individual departments create a "course" and add new categories, and dump hundreds of file with no categorisation. Most Moodle systems will need to be reorganised and "cleaned up" regularly if allowed to grow organically.

Md

Michael d.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

The ultimate toolbox for educators

I have been involved with Moodle for many years as a user, administrator and developer. Be careful about the hype you hear from commercial vendors, they will often understate the prevalence of Moodle around the world, which dwarfs other systems many times. The community involved with this product have a common aim: to help educators; money is rarely their driver.

Pros

Moodle is, hands-down, the most functional and malleable learning management system available. Moodle can do everything we want it to do.

Cons

Sometimes you have to reduce functionality to make it useful for some people. It is possible to turn off features to achieve that.

AS

Aman S.

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

Moodle up the way

Overall experience with google is under satisfactory as compared to Blackboard and Canvas. It is the least help application I have ever used.

Pros

The software is an online education learning module software. It is mostly used by universities and other educational institutes. Overall the software is very decent, it offers a variety of features, plagiarism checker, and other variety of features. It does not have any option of predicting grade which is offered by Canvas. As a T.A. I would as it is a decent software but there are better softwares than moodle.

Cons

The software does not have a fully functional mobile appliation which is offered by Blackboard and Canvas which are other learning management systems. Moodle is also sluggish and courses appear later and from time to time there are bugs in the application.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

A complete solution for blended learning!

I have implemented Moodle LMS for many industries including Colleges, Universities, Manufacturing, Retail, Career Development Centers, Online Training institutions, Information, Media & Entertainment industries. Except the product is an open-source, I do not see ANY issues. This can be hosted in Amazon Web Services or in Azure cloud, it can be hosted in client environment. Moodle can be integrated with any 3rd party (both inbound and outbound) applications as long as their APIs are exposed. This has lot of in-built plugins/tools to manage ILT Events and Sessions, Chats, Virtual Learning Environment tools, etc. I highly recommend this low-cost solution for any type of industry.

Pros

Moodle is a complete e-Learning platform for many industries. It is well-suited for Education Industry. I have implemented Moodle in the large universities and colleges in the world. Most inspiring features are - the course section which can be grouped based on customized categories and sub-categories - forum which can be associated with the topics at course level or at organization level - Cohort which helps the institute to manage the batch-wise students group every year and can be promoted to next level without much manual efforts - Question Bank which can accommodate more than 12 types of assessments and can also be integrated with other assessment management systems or plugins

Cons

There is no limitation on the features, since this is an open source application, we cannot use it for GxP contents in Life Sciences and may not comply with Banking/Insurance industries.

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

An easy and practical virtual way for distance education

Moodle, allows to offer an exchange space in activities for learning, these can be online or as a support for content management without using the web interface, also through the platform you can create private forums to stimulate discussions online or used as the main interface to perform exams and assessments.

Pros

This tool is also designed in free software is a multimedia program that explores the way to generate virtual ways of quality distance education through its virtual environments, the tool is one of the most used for this type of tasks or activities one of its positive elements is in creating private virtual environments where a group of students with their teacher interact online, which after defining...

Cons

The tool presents standardized content which prevents differentiating the treatment between advanced and regular students, as well as presenting differentiated content since when the group is created a signature and the access role all share the information according to the profile held by the participants, as to the interface this is not very friendly with the students since it does not have an iconography that facilitates the identification of the different options besides the menus are not intuitive that does not generate a pattern of habit on the actions within the program. layout is similar to a normal blog something that in my opinion could be improved to take more advantage of the online application.

E-Learning, self-employed

Flexible for designers, teachers and students

Pros

As an online learning designer, Moodle is a fantastic tool because it integrates multiple options for learning and collaboration between both on and off campus students. It is incredibly flexible with a plethora of both simple and advanced features which can be integrated at a teacher’s preference, and the entire teaching experience can be run through the system. It’s agile enough to integrate with...

Cons

Whenever updates for Moodle are released (six monthly) there are always some problems with existing content, especially with non-standard features that have been designed exclusively for a course or institution. Sometimes they are not immediately evident and can cause issues during the teaching period. Moodle is a very large, powerful system, so it can take considerable time to understand it well enough to be confident designing and teaching courses. Also, if support staff are not on hand it can be difficult to resolve issues or find ways to integrate special requests from teachers.