My Music Staff Logo

My Music Staff

Cloud-based music school management software

My Music Staff Reviews

4.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.52/10

Reviews by rating

I love everything about MyMusicStaff. It is a great tool and they are constantly making it look better and fresher.
Incredibly easy integration into my daily work. This has saved me significant time on admin that is now being used to improve my skills and develop my practice.
I am impressed with how the categories automatically sync. MMS helps keep my records and invoices straight.
I hated that they paid teachers for lessons that would need to be made up at the time the lesson was missed instead of when the teacher gave the make up lesson.
Well, I was completely shocked when I first called and someone actually ansered the phone.
Can I choose to have no logo at all on the invoice, not even the default treble clef.

AK

Adam K.

School Director

Music, 1-10 employees

Ideally for anyone managing a small music school

Transcript

Adam: Hi, my name's Adam. I'm a music school director, and I would give My Music Staff a five out of...

IJ

Irma J.

CE0

My Music Staff review first year

Transcript

Irma J.: Hello, my name is Irma. I'm the founder and CEO. I give My Music Staff five stars. For more...

Kandice I.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

My Music Staff - I couldn't have done it without you!

My Music Staff has changed my home studio into a professional, online, organised, updated Music Academy! Not only has it totally managed my scheduling and scheduling for my teachers but it tracks expenses and income for tax purposes with official Tax Credit receipts that I can send from my phone! It made tax time a breeze! This software let's me seamlessly invoice books and lessons, while keeping track...

Pros

How can I possibly choose just one thing? Before My Music Staff, keeping track of missed lessons was next to impossible. I had separate notebooks and online files and word docs for attendance, lesson notes, expenses, payments for books and payments for lessons - now it's all together - neat and tidy, organised and at my fingertips (and my teachers') at the studio, at home and on the go! And that's just the beginning...

Cons

I do wish My Music Staff was setup to take Electronic Funds Transfers in Canada - as that is a new form of payment I am implementing in my school. I also would like to be able to add my business logo as a header for emails with an automatic signature. I realise I can use placeholders to do this job but it is a little laborious when you're in a rush.

SG

Sebastian G.

Amazing software, could use a few updates to bring it into the 2020's

Overall I am happy with MMS, specially the invoicing and scheduling features. Customer support is top notch as well and this alone keeps me as a customer.

Pros

I have been using MMS since 2020 when my whole studio went online. Their customer support is fantastic and their team is always available to talk over the phone. Emails are responded to quickly and they always have a solution for my issues.My favorite feature is the auto-invoicing and auto-payment. The website has saved me countless hours of invoice logging, tracking down payments, and scheduling since I can automate everything.I schedule all my lessons through MMS and It's nice that my students can launch their Zoom lesson right from the portal.

Cons

I really want to make MMS my ultimate hub for my students to access all their materials and video lessons, as well as send me videos and track their practice. However, I think this is where MMS is really lacking. The last couple of updates have been great but the system still feels like it is stuck in the early 2000's. I'm fairly techy so I haven't had a problem figuring out how to navigate MMS, but...

LV

Laurice V.

Music, 1-10 employees

Overall it has been good. Customer Service is quite quick once you get matched with a member. The Support centre and Pinterest links and How-To's are done very well. Not the mention the lovely additional bits like Social Media Calendar and worksheets for the kids is so lovely! And helpful! I really like using it every day personally and so do my Staff. But my students, not so much. It's only easy to use when you are using it for a couple hours a day like me, otherwise its a total mind field

Pros

I like the amount of customisation. The calendar Sync. The website functionality and the Families & Invoicing section.

Cons

It is not user friendly for the public. It is far too complicated for my business. For example if someone wants to sign up for a course they have to go through Student Portals. Log In. Emails. Setting it up. Saving it to the Homepage. Then they cant pay immediately they have to wait for an invoice and then log in again and finally enter their bank details. I am im discussions of discontinuing with this software. While it has great benefits for Admin it really is too complicated for the public and inviting new customers in. Therefore it is not for us in the long term.

AS

Anamarie S.

Music, 1-10 employees

It's great once you get to know it

For a relatively low cost, this software is helping me grow and define my business. The company was extremely responsive when the pandemic hit and new features were unveiled quickly. I am able to run my appointments just as easily from zoom as face to face using the software tools they provided. Overall, I would recommend this product as a great tool for a studio.

Pros

It makes scheduling and keeping track of payments a breeze. Everything is all in one place and generating reports is also simple. For the most part, it does more than I had expected/hoped.

Cons

For people who prefer having support via the phone, this is not a good option. There are many times that I wish I could just dial a number to get an answer. That being said, they respond quickly via email. There is also a learning curve with this software that might be a barrier to some.

Hi Anamarie. Thank you for the lovely review. I do just want to point out that we do have phone support as well! You can reach our team toll-free at 1-888-732-6134 :)

LK

Larisse K.

Music, self-employed

Does everything you need for a great price

I've found that the software fits my needs. I have looked around extensively to see if there is anything out there better and currently there isn't. There are similar platforms but they are more expensive. I also like how it specifically caters to music teachers rather than a generic software for all industries.

Pros

It does everything I need it to do in terms of scheduling, billing and expenses and has other features that I use sometimes such as lesson notes, file sharing, newsletters and lending library. It also has a website included, blog and online signup.

Cons

It would be good if students were able to edit/comment on their lesson notes. Also if there could be a blog or newsletter that is not public but only accessible by your clients with the ability for them to comment.

CS

Caitlin S.

The Best Software on the Market

Excellent. I recommend them to all my friends who are also music teachers.

Pros

Honestly, there are too many to list. Here are a few: the automation features in invoicing and scheduling save me hours of work, I love that I can have multiple teachers on a single account, I love the student portal and practice log feature.

Cons

Any time I’ve felt that something could be improved upon I’ve written to the company and they’ve been very helpful every time.

BM

Benjamin M.

Primary/Secondary Education, 1-10 employees

Perfect

It helps me organize and keep track of all our data, works in real time, I'm often updating schedules and payments, and the program responds well.

Pros

This software predicts what I might need and I'm able to utilize more functions compared to previous programs our company has subscribed to.

Cons

I don't have any problems.. maybe not charging to add more teachers.. I am constantly trying to find staff and people come and go

Paul B.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Very good software for music school management

It is the best out there unless who want to pay tens of thousands for personalised Salesforce set up.

Pros

There are some very great features in My Music Staff such as the ease of payment from the client. I also like the calendar layout and functionality.

Cons

Having to jump from one category to the other and back can take along time over the web. It would be easier if all of a clients information including payments, bookings, contact history, etc where all available on one screen. Also, monitoring non-payers can be a bit of a headache and be time consuming.

Chrissy M.

MMS is my Business Assistant

Pros

Scheduling with family portal; auto-invoicing and autopay; automated reminders; options for to host with MMS or embed MMS features on your website.

Cons

I’ve grown with MMS // I started using it almost right from their beginning. I was looking for something to help manage my growing student list and have stuck with them through some growing pains as they’ve vastly updated over the last 2yr (was on the beta testing team!).

Shaun P.

Music, self-employed

Amazing one stop shop for music teachers starting out

Pros

Every music teacher starting out should use this. It just does everything correct and helps streamline lots of things for you!

Cons

Probably better organisation of the lesson resources and repertoire where possible

RM

Robyn M.

Primary/Secondary Education, self-employed

Love it!

Love it, for the most part. Staff has always been very responsive with questions and issues.

Pros

For years I kept track of scheduling on one sheet of paper from a weekly calender that I photo-copied and kept in a binder. Used a pencil so I could easily make changes. Attendance and income/expenses separate book. While it does take a little time to enter things manually, everything is streamlined and simpler than other software I have tried. I have looked at a few systems for teachers and this...

Cons

Webpage templates are pretty limited. More options would be fabulous! Text operations seem to be somewhat limited and quirky within the software on my iPad Pro. I rarely use a computer these days so a little more functionality there would be terrific. Line spacing and text options seem to be very limited within the templates and I have been very frustrated with the limitations. I make it work, but more in this area would be better.

JP

Julia P.

A great All-In-One Business Manager and Scheduler

The scheduling alone and automated charges and billing are amazing - so much easier to keep track of everything. I'm also loving the additional features and ease of communication to students and parents from one place. The improvements they've made over the past 2 years (most especially becoming more friendly to syncing to Google Calendar) have been unobtrusive and are generally making the software easier to use - and all at a reasonable cost!

Pros

First of all, the price is fantastic for a small business - you pay per teacher you're managing and the base subscription price is outstanding! Any equivalent scheduling software charges as though you are a large company and was many times the price for just me and my partner! The scheduling interface is easy and pretty intuitive, and I love that I can opt to allow people to change their own times...

Cons

1. Most of my students pay on an automated monthly tuition model, and I would love to be able to set the month beginning/end dates for something other than the 1st. (mid month starts, 2nd pay period, etc) 2. While it is great to be able to message parents with notes, notifications of uploads, etc, it would be great if there were a way to group all those messages together instead of spamming them the day after the lesson. 3. Sometimes changes I make from my mobile device don't save properly (attendance is bad for this)

JG

Jenaye G.

Performing Arts, 1-10 employees

Fantastic Program

It's fantastic. I love that there is never any bugs in the system. The fact that I can rely on it to perform the way intended is worth everything to me.

Pros

The flexibility and customization features stand out the most. Many businesses have slightly different approaches to the way they run their businesses and I have never found a circumstance where the needs of my businesses quirks were able to be implemented. It's very easy to use, understand and has always been exceptionally reliable. I rarely come across a bug in the system.

Cons

I don't really dislike anything but I also don't use the invoicing portion of the system as I don't invoice clients. I do direct debit.

TM

Tina M.

Fine Art, self-employed

Awesome!

Huge time saver!

Pros

For me, the best feature is the ease of scheduling lessons and ensembles. Summer is more complicated for me because family schedules are less regular. This program allows parents to check my schedule, find an open time that works for them and register for it - all with no e-mails back and forth with me! They can do this each week if they want and if something comes up and they need to reschedule,...

Cons

I am getting used to the attendance pop-up. Most of my students are with me for a number of years and we always work on scales, etudes and technique pieces, and repertoire pieces. I have the books that I commonly use for scales, etudes and technique set up as Repertoire and then use the Notes to assign pages or specific pieces as well as for comments. This automatically copies to each lesson so...

Hi Tina, Thanks for leaving such a detailed review! A surprising amount of time can be taken up by students and parents reaching out about missed lessons or new schedules; I'm glad we could help with our automated schedule and student portal! When you record notes or assign repertoire, your students do have a history! Reach out to us at support@mymusicstaff.com to find out more.

SP

Steve P.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Best Studio Assistant

Overall, my experience has been excellent. The program is an essential part of my operation. When there is a problem, support staff are fast and friendly.

Pros

The calendar is my favourite feature, but it's more than that. It's how all the additional features work together with the calendar for efficiency and organization. Without My Music Staff, I would not be able to keep up with the number of students my school now has.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is how make-up lessons are recorded under teacher payroll when a substitute teacher is involved. The original teacher is given the income from a cancelled lesson instead of the substitute, but is corrected only if the substitute teacher gives a make-up lesson. The substitute should be the one being compensated regardless.

rk

rebekah k.

Music, self-employed

Fantastic service! Efficient customer service!

MMS software is laid out in an organised manner, so it is very easy to use. But customer service are always at hand to answer your questions. They send very clear instructions and a lot of effort is put into making sure it is easy to understand. It is a very worth while investment.

Pros

MMS software is laid out in an organised manner, so it is very easy to use. I use it for invoicing families (using the automatic invoicing option) and scheduling lessons and find it very useful tool for both. I record lesson notes from each students lesson and upload resources to the online resources section. Which is a one stop shop for all your students to access sheet music, backing tracks and anything...

Cons

I would love if there was an option for families to choose email settings. Like whether or not they want receipts emailed, or if the want event reminders etc. It would also be great if you could have an option to attach receipt to the lesson notes when emailing, to reduce the amount of emails they are receiving.

KS

Krista S.

Music, self-employed

Best business decision I've made for my studio!

I'm super grateful for this company! They have been upstanding, attentive, professional... and even apologized for raising their rate for the first time (ever maybe?) Even though it was just by a few bucks... and still isn't nearly as expensive as the competition - which, in my experience, is way less functional, way more expensive and no comparison with their customer service!

Pros

The ability this website has given me to track student payments and schedules has freed up my time formerly spent on a ridiculous number of admin duties so that now I can TEACH during that time! I can't say enough how much MyMusicStaff is 1000% worth it!!! It's a no-brainer! I appreciate that they keep their prices so low (have you looked at the competition?!!), but I would honestly be happy to pay more! The service they offer my studio is absolutely invaluable. And the customer service! They are so kind, friendly, and eternally patient, lol! I'm grateful!

Cons

I feel like these guys are constantly improving the site and responding to requests for even better features... no complaints here!

JC

Jennifer C.

Performing Arts, self-employed

MMS is a Huge Time Saver!

Scheduling is so much smoother, and placed in the hands of the students. That is huge! It saves so much time, allowing me to focus more on non-administrative aspects of teaching. The option to invoice students provides a professional (and far less awkward than "asking") means of reminding students when fees are due, how much, and for what services. The system has also influenced how I handle...

Pros

The scheduling platform is fantastic. I used to send countless, lengthy, endlessly-threaded emails to schedule lessons for my large private voice studio. The MMS scheduling system has saved me so much time, reduced clutter in my email box, and put the responsibility of cancelling/re-scheduling lessons into the hand of my students. Any schedule adjustment made by a student prompts an immediate, automated notification to me, which keeps me informed without having to initiate and handle the scheduling issue myself. As my studio has continued to grow, the billing / accounting aspect of the software has been very helpful as well. It helps me keep better records of payment, especially when methods of payment range from checks to cash to paypal and credit card.

Cons

There is a glitch in the system with website page editing that I hope MMS is able to fix. Although I love the ease with which I am able to build the website through MMS, I am frustrated by the ongoing issues with editing. I also would love to see the Repertoire section open up to allow students to submit and organize their own repertoire on the MMS platform, rather than requiring the teacher to do it all.

MS

Mark S.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Music Dancing Feet Partnership and My Music Staff - Life has become easier for both staff and pupils

The main benefit that we have found has been increased reliability of pupil attendance and an enhanced way of keeping track of lessons that need to be caught up. It has made invoicing easier for both us as a business and for the pupils to see what they owe at a glance. The Music Dancing Feet Partnership have been really pleased to have joined in partnership with My Music Staff, I would like to say thank you from all of our pupils and staff for making our lives easier.

Pros

The ease of use to link with pupils. With the ability to create lessons notes as you teach and email them for assistance with practice is a great benefit for both teacher and pupil. The Lesson reminders. the lesson reminder have a two fold benefit in that they reduce the number of no shows for lessons and ensure that pupils remember to let you know if they cannot attend to allow you the scope to offer...

Cons

I have not really found any down sides to the software.

BW

Benjamin W.

Essential for every Music School

I have automated many of my processes, especially the invoicing and follow-up tasks which were previously time-consuming to handle manually. My experience with My Music Staff has been highly positive and I would recommend it to all my fellow music teachers.

Pros

This platform offers a wide range of features that cater to all my teaching and student organization needs in one place. I particularly appreciate the calendar, attendance, and invoicing system, which have significantly automated my manual processes, saving me a considerable amount of time.There are lots of features which cover all of my needs for teaching and organising students in one place, I like the calendar feature, attendance, and invoicing system which really automated a lot of my manual processes and saves lots of time.

Cons

It would be beneficial to update the appearance of the platform and have a corresponding mobile application. Additionally, adding more features to the calendar, such as the ability for parents to switch lesson times with other parents, would be useful. It would also be helpful to have features that allow me to monitor my students' progress, reward positive behavior, and discipline negative behavior. Currently, I am using Class Dojo for this purpose, but integrating these features into My Music Staff would be ideal since Class Dojo is not directed for use by music teachers.

BD

Bonnie D.

Music, self-employed

I switched to my music staff for the price and stayed for ease-of-use.

I am far more capable of streamlining and implementing my studio policies with my music staff. Bookkeeping is so much more organized. I am proud to refer my music staff to my friends.

Pros

My very favorite part of my music staff is invoicing! And I love her students can manage their lesson cancellations in the calendar. My music staff has a small price to pay, but ultimately helps me manage my earnings and probably saves me money in the long run because it is much easier to keep track of cancellations and make up lessons. I also really like how I have opportunity to have a website. Another big favorite aspect of the program of mine is that students can register themselves into Recitals.

Cons

The concept of make up classes is sometimes hard to get across to students, but the functionality is fine! The phone app is a little hard to use, especially when trying to edit titles of news and blog posts. Sometimes it freezes. But this is a very minor part of my use of my music staff.

GB

Garreth B.

Music, self-employed

Excellent, reliable, affordable studio management software

MMS does most of my admin work for me, which allows me to concentrating on teaching — that’s really important to me and I really appreciate it. I also really value how reliable it is. I’ve never lost information and the website has never been down.

Pros

MMS is overall very easy to use, has an attractive, well-thought through design, and is very reliable. I use it for registering new students, tracking attendance, billing and receiving payments. The customer service team are responsive, honest, open to suggestions and overall simply very helpful. I use it every day, it is the core software of my business, and it has significantly reduced my admin work.

Cons

Just a couple of minor niggles. I’d like the lesson notes to copy through automatically to a student’s next lesson; usually they do this, but they don’t if it’s not a repeating lesson. It’s not a big deal. I don’t love the Milage function, which is a bit unwieldy to use.

Education Management, self-employed

Piano Teacher

I love using My Music Staff for my music education company. I cannot imagine being successful at my job without it.

Pros

As a piano teacher, My Music Staff saves me countless hours. I used to try to stay organized by myself! I didn't send reminders for weekly appointments and as a result, I often had no-shows. I also didn't have a great system of tracking payments. Now, My Music Staff keeps track of my calendar, clients and their information, invoices, payments, late fees, and annual tax information. At the end of the year, I can simply click a button and see how much money I have earned. It also tells me how much money I have spent on piano books and fees. It sends reminders through email, text or both to my clients. I can also keep a running database for all of my students and have a list of former students. It is essential for any kind of music teacher!

Cons

I don't love paying $12.95 per month for this software. It is worth it so I have been a customer for years. At first, it was difficult to set up the automatic invoices and autopay for interested clients. I did need to contact their customer service and they were extremely helpful.

RM

Rebecca M.

Music, self-employed

highly recommended for anyone running a music studio

My Music Staff has saved me countless hours in invoicing and scheduling. Tracking items such as make up credits, missed lessons, payments, and the like are a snap. Parents have had positive feedback about utilizing the scheduling features, which saves me more time in not having to deal with lesson cancellations and reschedules. My Music Staff offers other robust features such as repertoire assignments, resource sharing, and mileage and expense tracking that I am just beginning to explore. My Music Staff is truly a great value and a huge asset to my business.

Pros

My Music Staff is intuitive and easy to use. I came over from a competitor's software, and the difference is night and day. I was constantly encountering glitches and needing support with the other product, but with My Music Staff I have needed support only one time in almost a year. Customer service was incredibly responsive, friendly, and resolved my issue right away. The interface and functionality are very smooth with My Music Staff. I highly recommend this software to anyone who teaches music, regardless of the size of your studio. My Music Staff will streamline your processes and make your life so much easier!

Cons

At first I was disappointed that they don't have a dedicated app. But the mobile optimized (responsive design) website works extremely well on my Android phone, and since I am already familiar with the website it is very easy to navigate and syncs seamlessly. So I really can't point to any cons; my experience has been entirely positive so far.

LL

Libby L.

Entertainment, self-employed

My Music Staff for the Sole Studio Owner

Very convenient and helpful for my business.

Pros

My Music Staff was a game changer for me in terms of managing multiple clients, classes and locations that I work from. It helped me to consolidate my calendar, my billing and payments, my class notes and all my files for online lessons. Overall it's a great platform if you would like to consolidate all your client information and manage your studio well.

Cons

My only criticism is the amount of upgrades lately and there is not indication of what will change when you're asked to upgrade. I would love to go back to the old model sometimes because I miss the student notes being visible instead of an attachment. I also don't like that if I have a missed class I cannot add payment to the note, I have to go in separately and add the payment from billing. Otherwise I have no complaints.