My Music Staff Logo

My Music Staff

Cloud-based music school management software

My Music Staff Reviews

4.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.56/10

Reviews by rating

What has impressed me the most, and continues to impress me, is your customer support.
Incredibly easy integration into my daily work. This has saved me significant time on admin that is now being used to improve my skills and develop my practice.
I am impressed with how the categories automatically sync. MMS helps keep my records and invoices straight.
I hated that they paid teachers for lessons that would need to be made up at the time the lesson was missed instead of when the teacher gave the make up lesson.
Well, I was completely shocked when I first called and someone actually ansered the phone.
Can I choose to have no logo at all on the invoice, not even the default treble clef.

IJ

Irma J.

CE0

My Music Staff review first year

Transcript

Irma J.: Hello, my name is Irma. I'm the founder and CEO. I give My Music Staff five stars. For more...

NQ

Nicole Q.

Owner/Operator/Teacher

Communication and Organisation

Transcript

Nicole Q.: Hello, my name is Nicole and I'm the owner-operator of a music studio. I give My Music Staff...

Susan E.

I couldn't teach so many students without My Music Staff

As I wrote above, all the administration and accounting is taken care of, leaving me time to teach more students and more hours. I also appreciate the responsive staff, who have always taken care of any wrinkles in the system or any of the problems I might be having within a very short space of time.

Pros

It covers every single part of running a successful teaching practice. It takes care of my scheduling, it streamlines weekly practice assignments, it has a practice log for students, it lists repertoire completed and ongoing with performance dates, it keeps my accounting in order, it makes my income tax return easy, it gives out student tax receipts, it lists student names and addresses so families...

Cons

Very small little things that I haven't even bothered to message in. One is that the assignment notes are linked to the name of the event, so when for example Lucy comes for an extra lesson, which is ID'd as an extra lesson, the practice notes will transfer from Lucy's last extra lesson, not from her last regular lesson. Similar thing happens when the student comes for a make up lesson - the notes...

Hey Susan! Thanks for the great review. Right now, you have "Find past lesson notes for events in the same Event Category only" enabled. Here's how to change that: 1. Click "Settings" in the top right-hand corner and select "My Preferences". 2. From the "Personal" tab, scroll to the very bottom. 3. Uncheck "Find past lesson notes for events in the same Event Category only". 4. Click "Save". Now, the lesson notes will copy forward from their last lesson regardless of the event category :)

AS

Anamarie S.

Music, 1-10 employees

It's great once you get to know it

For a relatively low cost, this software is helping me grow and define my business. The company was extremely responsive when the pandemic hit and new features were unveiled quickly. I am able to run my appointments just as easily from zoom as face to face using the software tools they provided. Overall, I would recommend this product as a great tool for a studio.

Pros

It makes scheduling and keeping track of payments a breeze. Everything is all in one place and generating reports is also simple. For the most part, it does more than I had expected/hoped.

Cons

For people who prefer having support via the phone, this is not a good option. There are many times that I wish I could just dial a number to get an answer. That being said, they respond quickly via email. There is also a learning curve with this software that might be a barrier to some.

Hi Anamarie. Thank you for the lovely review. I do just want to point out that we do have phone support as well! You can reach our team toll-free at 1-888-732-6134 :)

VS

Victoria S.

Fine Art, self-employed

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Takes too much time

Pros

I can use it for monthly invoices; I don't use it for communication with the families.

Cons

I wouldn't say I like to take the attendance; I prefer to write the repertoire in my notebook; I need a better tool to estimate my income. I want to use e-transfer for counting my income, which I can't here.

Hi Victoria! We're sorry to hear you're finding it's taking you too much time to use My Music Staff. We took a peek at your account and it looks like there are some features you haven't had a chance to explore yet. We'd love to set up a time to meet with you to show you some of these features and see what areas we can help you set up. A member of our support team is going to reach out to you shortly, so be on the lookout for an email! :)

MG

Michael G.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

I highly recommend...

4.5 starts, I am very happy with MMS and recommend it to all teachers and music school owners.

Pros

I was able to reduce 3 platforms into one and cover attendance, email, and student content management

Cons

sometimes it's clunky, the attendance function can be unnecessarily long because you have to click multiple times instead of having a checkbox. The embeded website form isn't trackable by google analitics

EG

Emily G.

Excellent Software for Studio Management

MMS has made managing my studio extremely easy. When I first started on my own, I was using Google Calendar and various notebooks to track scheduling, payments, attendance, etc. I tried out a couple other ways to manage my studio, but MMS was the one I came back to for its ease of use and every feature I was looking for.

Pros

Easy to set up and use, inexpensive, packed with features, does everything I need to keep my small piano studio running smoothly! I don't use all of the features, but what I do use is fantastic.

Cons

Sometimes the space to enter lesson notes freezes up or glitches out. Aside from that, I haven't found anything glaring.

RS

Rebecca S.

Music, self-employed

LOVE! Makes my life so much easier and I’m less scatter brained!

It’s been overall wonderful! 9/10 stars from me! Only because there was a learning curb for me learning how to use the invoice software. That was the hardest part for me.

Pros

I love the most that this makes sending reminders to my students and parents automatic and I don’t have to sit at a computer sending out emails for reminders each week. Love that it also has scheduling, billing, book keeping all in one app.

Cons

I don’t like that it doesn’t have the feature to send reminders to clients the day of the lesson as well as the day before the lesson via SMS.

JH

Jem H.

Music, self-employed

The software that transformed my business for the better and boosted its professionalism

Excellent. Couldn't recommend this software any more.

Pros

I love the ease of keeping track of multiple aspects to my business. With this software, I keep track of all lessons, billing, and can easily send out monthly invoices and receipts for payments received. I can use the email feature for easy communication with my clients, and everything is customizable. It also serves as a visible record that can be used at tax time. This is especially useful as when one is self-employed, there are no t-slips.

Cons

I've never run into a problem with this software that couldn't be resolved through customizing my own studio site, after a quick email to MMS's excellent customer service.

BF

Benjamin F.

Music, self-employed

Excellent Program for great value!

Pros

This a great product that helps me to organize my piano studio. I love the features and how they have designed it with a private music teaching professional in mind. Its made my studio life so much better and helped me to conduct business in a more professional manner. Its great to have a company that's support a large population but who are mostly invisible as a customer base.

Cons

I offer both private lessons (something that this software is well suited to) and classes. I'd like to have a little more functionality with the classes. My classes and private students are different offerings and they all go together in the mix and I don't have a way to separate them out. I'd like a tab on the left that let's me manage classes (i.e. multiple people per time unit). Otherwise, awesome software!

SA

Shane A.

My Music Staff Review

Overall the transition to MMS has been great. I'm really enjoying using the platform

Pros

Sending lesson assignments is great and works much better than my previous platform.

Cons

The payment system is a little confusing

CQ

Carmen Q.

Music, self-employed

MMS is the BEST bookkeeping software for music studio owners out there!!

Pros

Easy to use, everything is in one place, student scheduling and billing is made SO easy, invoicing, projected monthly income is easy to generate, etc. They also have the best customer service!! You can reach out with any question through email or phone and you will have a kind and helpful team member answer your exact questions with great solutions.

Cons

It has a bit of a learning curve. It took me a good two months to become fully comfortable with it but I’m so glad I was patient enough to learn because I can’t imagine owning my studio without MMS.

IJ

Isaac J.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

An extremely high value product

My Music Staff has become indispensible and almost makes life a breeze. Accounts, invoicing and lesson management, notes and plenty more are brilliant. If they can upgrade some and smooth a couple of other areas I'd gladly pay more.

Pros

After trying a number of other systems which felt like a real pain, I must say I can't find a system anywhere near as good for even double the price. There's a learning curve but it's really nothing like many others out there. TOP PROS: - Invoice for a period for all students in one hit and then email in one more. - Calendar view is powerful: attendance, great filtering by student/teacher/and many...

Cons

SMS INTEGRATION IS PATCHY - Fantastic for e.g. deleting a day. Except to send SMS messages needs to be activated in each profile manually which is slow - can't be turned on by default either - If the student doesn't have SMS turned on they don't get sent - Deleting lessons obscures the account: there is no longer record of that lesson even if it was previously included on an upfront invoice. - Marking...

Hey Isaac! So glad to hear you've been enjoying My Music Staff. We've recently added the "¿Trial Student¿ status. A trialing student is functionally the same as an Active student but provides a way to segment your student list so you can easily identify which students haven¿t yet committed to lessons for the long term. You'll want to use this status rather than "Lead". This will allow you to schedule the students on the calendar. Parents and students do need to opt-in to receive SMS messages. This is to help studios comply with SMS marketing laws. This is why it's not enabled by default. We do agree that after receiving permission, you should be able to enable the feature in bulk so we've added this item to our to-do list. Thanks again for the great review!

JP

Julia P.

A great All-In-One Business Manager and Scheduler

The scheduling alone and automated charges and billing are amazing - so much easier to keep track of everything. I'm also loving the additional features and ease of communication to students and parents from one place. The improvements they've made over the past 2 years (most especially becoming more friendly to syncing to Google Calendar) have been unobtrusive and are generally making the software easier to use - and all at a reasonable cost!

Pros

First of all, the price is fantastic for a small business - you pay per teacher you're managing and the base subscription price is outstanding! Any equivalent scheduling software charges as though you are a large company and was many times the price for just me and my partner! The scheduling interface is easy and pretty intuitive, and I love that I can opt to allow people to change their own times...

Cons

1. Most of my students pay on an automated monthly tuition model, and I would love to be able to set the month beginning/end dates for something other than the 1st. (mid month starts, 2nd pay period, etc) 2. While it is great to be able to message parents with notes, notifications of uploads, etc, it would be great if there were a way to group all those messages together instead of spamming them the day after the lesson. 3. Sometimes changes I make from my mobile device don't save properly (attendance is bad for this)

SH

Sheila H.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Finally - Simplified Billing!

The tech support was great when I was trying to work with my service provider to get my own domain working with MyMusicStaff. When designing my own website with their template, they were also responsive and helpful with complex formatting on some of the pages.

Pros

I like that I don't have to have my home website named something strange like "teacher's helper"--instead I can have my own domain name and a super easy to use website creator (and nice templates to choose from). The "portal" for parents is automatically added to the website. This way, I can use my own domain name in marketing materials. I have been in business for 20 years and grew exhausted checking out different software packages, none of which were specifically for the music teaching business. As for functionality, I like the bulk attendance.

Cons

Most of it is great. Would like to see continued addition of reports, or the ability to select more options for report content. More uploads--for example, when I put together my schedule for a new semester, it's time consuming to add each lesson in one by one. Being able to type everything in on a spreadsheet and upload it would be great. I find it confusing the way the lesson rates and duration and categories work together. Perhaps this could be simplified somehow--I have to remember which screens to go in to change the students time and category. It gets more confusing when you have siblings at different rates, or when you are discounting lessons for other reasons.

Hey Sheila! Thanks for taking the time to provide just fantastic feedback :) Our development is community driven. We depend on the awesome suggestions and feedback that we receive from our members. If there's something more you'd like to see in the reporting, let us know! You can always send your feedback and suggestions to support@mymusicstaff.com

CL

Cally L.

Music, self-employed

You Need This in Your Life!

Customer support is very helpful!

Pros

I don't generate invoices until I have my schedule set. Once I have my schedule for the month/semester/etc figured out, I create invoices and send them to parents. I love that this program makes it easy to create and send invoices based on the schedule. What used to take me HOURS now takes minutes. I also like how it tracks payments, adjustments, etc in the program so that even parents can see. No...

Cons

I wish there was an phone app that would allow me to work offline. I frequently work in practice rooms that block out cell phone signal, so I can't load students' notes when I teach. Also, It took forever to figure out how to navigate through the site at first. Lastly, I wish I could figure out how to automatically send my students their lesson schedule for the month (not essential since it is listed in the invoice, but I would like to have the kids get a list of lesson times in the email).

Cody W.

Music, 11-50 employees

If You Have a Music Studio, You Need This!

If you run a music studio of any type, you need this software. There are far too many details with scheduling and book keeping for you to do it by yourself. This software has helped me keep track of any and all students at any one time. It has helped me automate many lessons and recital schedules among other things. It helps all teachers at our studio keep attendance records up to date for all students. This is just a bit about what you can do with My Music Staff.

Pros

I love the fact that my studio found this software. I have been given the responsibility of being the studio manager for a piano studio in California. I love the calendar feature where you can filter different teachers, studios or student lists. My organization runs three studios, one in California and two on the East coast. I love the ability of emailing straight from the application. It allows me to keep in touch with all students, parents and teachers at any time.

Cons

Sometimes, the technology does get hard sometimes and the scheduling portion can have glitches and put scheduling in the wrong place. Sometimes I have trouble organizing with the app. There are issues with scheduling conflicts at the studio when the times don’t overlap. That could stand to have some updating.

Hey Cody! Thanks for the great feedback :) It looks like your studio has conflict detection disabled. To enable this feature: 1. Click "Settings" in the top right-hand corner and select "Studio Settings". 2. From the "Options" tab, click "Check for scheduling conflicts when adding/editing calendar events". 3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Save Options". If you need a hand, we're here to help! Our team can be reached at support@mymusicstaff.com or by phone at 1-888-732-6134.

Amy R.

Music, 1-10 employees

Switched from similar software and never looked back.

The number of families now comfortable with My music staff for information and payment has increased exponentially saving us time and money. Our families are impressed by the professional software, and I love the transparency and organization we offer to clients and employees about how the business runs.

Pros

Very user friendly for both parents and employees (we are a multi teacher school) Love how responsive the MMS team is, both with constant updates to the program (and often based on client requests) to attentive support when there are issues. Price point can't compare to some of the alternatives. I love that it is based on the number of teachers, so doesn't penalize us for getting more students (ie. being a successful business!) like a per/student rate.

Cons

It has a lot of functionality with reports that is not so intuitive. Accessing the data in ways that may be useful to a business can often mean trying lots of different reports and tweaking the settings slightly to get the right report. We accept payments in studio via Payd and have to enter these manually into MMS. Would love some way to connect these, or to be able to accept canadian debit cards (require chip readers).

Hey Amy! We're all ears :) You can send your suggestions and feedback to the team at support@mymusicstaff.com. We'd really like to hear more from you about how we can improve the reporting for your studio. Glad to hear you've been loving My Music Staff!

MK

Maureen K.

Saved My Studio

My business runs very smoothly and professionally with the use of My Music Staff, I have the control that I need of the studio while giving my instructors the freedom to teach the way they find most effective with the students. Parents enjoy the reminders, automatic invoicing and electronic payment options. My website drives in lots of business and it is created using the templates on My Music Staff. Without this program my studio would never have grown to this point nor would it continue to grow as it is today. I will always recommend and share my love of this program.

Pros

As I began taking on more students a couple of years ago and I started to struggle with scheduling and and billing, we started looking around and found My Music Staff, it saved my studio. We are now at 32 students and we have 3 instructors, without the ease of My Music Staff I would never be able to schedule and bill families appropriately or keep track of payroll. I love the ease of looking up addresses, families inputting their own information and being able to keep track of assignments within the program. The reminder emails and texts are awesome for busy families and the automatic billing feature is amazing so that I don't have to calculate and send out invoices to families.

Cons

Nothing really, some of the setting are buried a little bit, but everything is very logical.

Education Management, self-employed

Piano Teacher

I love using My Music Staff for my music education company. I cannot imagine being successful at my job without it.

Pros

As a piano teacher, My Music Staff saves me countless hours. I used to try to stay organized by myself! I didn't send reminders for weekly appointments and as a result, I often had no-shows. I also didn't have a great system of tracking payments. Now, My Music Staff keeps track of my calendar, clients and their information, invoices, payments, late fees, and annual tax information. At the end of the year, I can simply click a button and see how much money I have earned. It also tells me how much money I have spent on piano books and fees. It sends reminders through email, text or both to my clients. I can also keep a running database for all of my students and have a list of former students. It is essential for any kind of music teacher!

Cons

I don't love paying $12.95 per month for this software. It is worth it so I have been a customer for years. At first, it was difficult to set up the automatic invoices and autopay for interested clients. I did need to contact their customer service and they were extremely helpful.

Jd

Jed d.

Excellent

Do it. My Music Staff provides me TREMENDOUS value. It is an excellent example of how technology can be used as a tool to enhance our lives.

Pros

This product ticks all my boxes! It connects with PayPal, so I can accept credit cards online (and if person if I wanted to) and My Music Staff automatically adds the payment to the student's account. It saves me time because students are able to cancel and register for lessons through the website which means less email. Yay! Lending library, digital file locker, website builder, repertoire tracker,... aMAzing! And their customer support has been top notch when I needed help with a feature/setting and in quickly fixing bugs.

Cons

While it does pretty much everything I could want it to, some of the settings are in unexpected places. There are some calendar settings on the calendar page itself, some are in the main settings, some in preferences, etc. When I want to tweak a setting, I sometimes have to click through multiple pages to find the setting I'm looking for. I'm afraid this may be keeping some people from knowing about, finding, and enjoying many of the great features of My Music Staff.

Dana B.

Fine Art, self-employed

Easy to use!

I use MMS daily and it is a crucial resource for the success of my studio. The price point is fantastic. Overall I am a very pleased customer.

Pros

I have used my Music Staff software for almost 3 years. I've tried other programs but I believe that MMS is the BEST resource for your money!

Cons

The only issues I've run into are just minor in detail. I kinda would like there to be an app and maybe a better functionality on mobile devices.

Hi Dana, We're happy to hear My Music Staff is working hard for you and your business! You'll be happy to know our team is currently working on a number of enhancements to improve the mobile experience.

RS

Rebecca S.

Music, 11-50 employees

You saved my music school!

A-MA-ZING. My office manager and I love it. Because of MMS, we can effectively run the school, AND have a life outside of it. When I was using Excel I'd spend HOURS and HOURS in front of the computer, and now I have time to spend with my family because MMS automates many of the tasks I was doing by hand.

Pros

I was using an Excel spreadsheet before I transitioned to MMS. Of course, that was back when I had less than 100 students. Now with 300 students (and still growing), I would've been lost without this amazing product! I love the automatic invoicing, the ACH capability (this is KEY), the easy-peasy payroll and other reports, but all of these features are just a BONUS on top of the best scheduling system I've ever used. We would be poorly organized, and I'd be out a ton of $$$ hiring staff to take care of all of these facets that MMS offers in ONE platform. Kudos, My Music Staff!

Cons

It's been buggy from time to time, but we knew that it was a new product going in. Your staff has been awesome in responding to all service requests.

KC

Kate C.

A Wonderful Company and A Game Changing Service

I'm also deeply impressed with the customer service. The team has helped me more than once to solve problems I made myself, and they've done so with courtesy and speed. I'm grateful to them!

Pros

My Music Staff was recommended to me by a fellow music teacher as a way to tame the chaos of running a music teaching business with separate billing, scheduling, and student management systems. Boy, was she ever right! Using MMS has upgraded my business dramatically and saved me so much time and energy. Students now access their Zoom links easily from within the student portal. Bills go out automatically and are paid without fuss (and parents prefer the automatic billing, too). I also love that I can build a library of online resources for my students and refer them to it rather than needing to send the same music and songs over and over again. Honestly, using MMS has been a total game-changer for me and I'd recommend it to any music teacher with 100% enthusiasm.

Cons

It does take some time to learn the system and to input all of your students' info - but it's worth it.

Amanda B.

Music, 1-10 employees

Fantastic Features beat only by Stellar Service!

The team at My Music Staff are actively involved with the teacher community and LISTEN to their consumers. Updates are constantly being made and in real-time, reflecting the discussions and suggestions that come from their network of administrative users. Each concern or contact with the staff is handled professionally and efficiently.

Pros

Through My Music Staff, I have been able to manage a non-profit professional music organization that houses 10 choral ensembles, 8 group classes, full musical theater workshops, half a dozen teachers and hundreds of students of all ages in one seamless portal. The ease of media streaming, billing, and schedule management through the "Portal" has helped elevate our communication among our members.

Cons

While groups are quite useful and automatically updated in the media area, it would be useful for the groups to update in the calendar when a new member registers (or at least to have the ability to turn on that feature)

SP

Sam P.

Music, self-employed

The Best thing since slice bread

My overall experience with My Music Staff is fantastic .It makes my time more productive in actually teaching not in administration. I give this program a ten out of ten.

Pros

The best part of the program is organization it makes my time more reproductive in actually teaching rather than admin. the automatic reminder of lessons to students reduces the absent rate tremendously. The Invoicing system is fantastic from raising an Invoice to payment received ,the tracing of payment is made easy with auto reminders when payments that are not made. at a glance you can see if a payment has been made. Communication with student and parents is fantastic it all around your fingertips within the program.

Cons

Learning how to use the program. even though it is easy to use, if you haven't used a particular section of the program for a while it tends to take a little time to remember what to do again,

SH

Sharon H.

Music, self-employed

best time saver for my studio!

CUstomer support is always prompt and thorough when answering my questions. This software has made managing a studio of 65 students/1 teacher (myself) easy and simple. Plus tracking inquiries and waiting list is simple too!

Pros

automatic billing feature!!!!! this saves me countless hours and headache each month when billing time comes around plus it guarantees that I will get paid on time

Cons

n/a They are constantly improving the program and this program meets all of my business needs. Only one suggestion would be to create a way to list waiting list and leads by the date they inquired or were added to the wait list. That way when a student drops I can easily locate students in the order of their inquiry or in the order of the wait list

Hey Sharon! You can actually add a date for your waiting list and lead list. Once the dates are added you can sort them by date added. Reach out to support@mymusicstaff.com and we'll help you get that setup.