SimpleTax Reviews

Pros

Fantastic service, both the simplicity of filling in the details and the help and support.

VL

Vivienne L.

JH

Juliet H.

Customer service is very good as we get an hourly reply. Easy tax explanations and advise helps in benefitting.

Nikhil W.

Cons

Difficult to use, misleading pricing, limited help to complete questions (eg refers user to HMRC notes which dont line up with the GoSimple questions).

LF

Louise F.

Took some of the pain out of completing my tax return.

JC

James C.

4.4

Easy Peasy

Cant praise this tool enough. It says what it does and whereas I was trying to.use quickbooks and after all the hard work of inputting information I couldn't submit my tax return. I loved the simplicity and direct approach to the whole process with Gosimpletax. Thank you

Pros

How easy it was to use, the simple approach to submitting infornation

Cons

Doesnt have many choices for expenses, such as uniforms, shoes, needs to have dedicated features for professional business stock

Hi Nuno, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a great review! Thanks, GoSimpleTax Team.

SimpleTax Review

The best thing about Go Simple Tax is the customer service. I generally receive replies to my enquiries within the hour, and it's a great comfort. One thing I'd be interested in is a more personalised level of service, whereby I could have access to a dedicated agent who could check over the form prior to filing and advise whether any additional information might be required, or whether there are further benefits I could take advantage of. A sort of remote tax advisor.

Pros

Attractive, uncluttered design with drop down boxes offering suggestions and ideas for what to include on the form. Also occasional suggestions of how to make savings, eg. automatically applying a 'work from home' allowance

Cons

As a UK tax-payer living overseas, I find completing my return very stressful. Perhaps there could be a little more info in some of the pop-up boxes that gives good, clear instructions and examples of what information is required. I'd also like to be able to compare the return I'm working on with those from previous years without having to go in and out of the different returns

Easy to use, but bad connection to HMRC

Pros

It´s easy to use and the step-by-step process helps a lot

Cons

- I haven´t received a confirmation from HRMC that the tax return was sent (although it was) + I haven´t received an email from GoSimpleTax. Last year HMRC told me they hadn´t received anything, so it is not a trusworthy software - The Customer Service did not reply to my question (sent 12 hours ago) - The password reset tool doesn´t function, which also happened last year - There are a lot of hidden features in the tax return, pages I didn´t know about and the software didn´t mention it to me - My name was not correct in the tax return (although it was correct in my profile)....

Dear Ricardo Thank you for your feedback, On reviewing your support request I see that this was received very late evening, we responded at 7:15am the following morning, outside of our published support hours When a tax return is submitted to HMRC we display the appropriate success message and HMRC confirmation on screen and also email the same information for your records. When asked for confirmation...

GoSimpleTax: unravelling the complexities of personal taxation

Arguably the best feature of this software is not the ease of use or comprehensive nature of the software itself, but the almost immediate feedback I've received from the support team every time I've contacted them. Their professionalism has helped me to understand my finances and taxation better as each year passes.

Pros

I love the manner in which this software calculates my tax liability as each element is entered, which makes it simple to see how things are progressing and when I've made a mistake in entering data.

Cons

Some elements only force a recalculation at the end of the process, such as amalgamated tax codes. Whilst I'm sure there must be good reason for the software to be written in this manner, it doesn't seem to be intuitive to me as a user. If possible I'd like to see these elements moved into the initial setup routine.

Thanks for leaving us a great review, Andy! We appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us. We're glad you're satisfied with the support you have received from the team! - AG

Simple by name, simple by nature

Pros

Each year gets clearer and easier, for a user who only completes one tax return. However complex the software gets me to the right place and the help desk has always been prompt and solved the problem in one exchange. I also like the vale for money, but now I am moved into a simpler regime and may not even need to complete the return, this could be my last year. But I'll continue to encourage my wife to use the software - money well spent for ease of use and peace of mind.

Cons

Sometimes the location of information appearing on the visualisation forms at the end is not input until later in the process - as if you are ready to submit. But again, readily explained by the help desk

Good service

Good

Pros

Much better than the HMRC version. Quite easy to use.

Cons

The references to HMRC (eg pdf's) are there, but it would be nice if there was a summary from user perspective (e.g. with question in the residency section) Otherwise there are a few minor glitches.

Hi, Thanks for your review. We would like to hear more about your experience, so that we can use your valuable feedback to deliver an even better experience next time. Please could you email help@gosimpletax.com with any further comments or suggestions you wish to share! Thanks, GoSimpleTax Team.

Awesome for the Number-phobic!

I'm a creative, so numbers aren't my strong point - I'm also at the lower end of earnings so paying an Accountant quite a lot of money for my very small and simple returns always grated against me. Thank Goodness I found GoSimple!! I just love it - dare I say, I might even look forward to doing my Tax Return?!?!!

Pros

So intuitive - prompts make the fields easy to populate, sensible sub headings described in layman's terms and even flags up potential mistakes / discrepancies!

Cons

No Cons - honestly can't think of a thing!

Value for money tax software

Very good

Pros

It's easy to use, comprehensive, but best of all, excellent value for money. I have reasonably complicated tax affairs, so need something more than the HMRC site.

Cons

Sometimes seems to lose data - possibly my fault.

Hi David, Thanks for leaving us a great review. We're glad you thought GoSimpleTax was easy to use! Thanks, GoSimpleTax Team.

Simple to complete

It has significantly speeded up my tax return submission.

Pros

Easy to fill in and leads you into covering all areas such as including associated expenses,. It uses last year's return as aa base, making it much easier to ensure I've covered everything in the same way.

Cons

Handling proportions on holiday lettings where there is also personal use was not intuitive.

Very simple to use

Highly recommend.

Pros

Easy to navigate and use. Good value for money.

Cons

Can't think of any, will use again for sure.

Good product, but frustrating.

If you have no idea how to fill in a tax return this is great, and it asks questions to help you reduce your liability. However, for different reasons the last two years I've needed the help desk to fix bugs / advise why the software is responding as it does. (The help desk is helpful though!)

Pros

It is easy enough to complete the various boxes, once you have learned how to use the software.

Cons

Frankly it is more complex than filling out a tax return. The only reason I do it is because I want to file minister of religion forms on line (so need to use 3rd party software).

So straight forward

GoSimpleTax makes it so easy to complete and submit a tax return. I used to the HMRC site directly, and it feels horrible and makes you stress about submitting a return. This is such a better experience and so quick. Very grateful. Well worth the small expense.

Pros

Really easy to complete the information. Gives prompts for claimable expenses you may have overlooked. Calculates the tax whilst you are completing the information.

Cons

Nothing to report. There was nothing I disliked about my experience.

Price hikes year on year and a support team that dont care and give you tin can responses

poor

Pros

I thought, initially, that it actually made the whole process simple. I later found out I was a fool and that I should be using the free HMRC one. I then find out that the price has hiked again and all the customer support team say is "Over the last 12 months, we have added lots of new features and made software improvements to give you the best possible experience when filing your self-assessment tax return" as if that makes it ok. What are they? I doubt i'll need them. Who asked for them? What a terrible excuse. If I started charging more for making my software better people would stop using it. I will thus be stopping using it

Cons

The support team. The inability to modify a filed return and having to ring HMRC and sit on hold for 40mins anyway.

A few blips

Not bad but some disappearing data and not clear instructions, missing headings, as mentioned above, did not fill me with confidence.

Pros

The layout and simplicity. Easy to follow.

Cons

Not enough detailed help information and some of it is inaccurate. Names headings to use which don't exist. Couldn't find the log of my personal drawings to edit - they seemed to have disappeared. Not enough clear explanation of what happens on validating the assessment. A user guide would be good with more detail.

Hi Paul, Thanks for leaving us a review! We would like to hear more about your experience, so that we can use your valuable feedback to deliver an even better experience next time. Please could you email help@gosimpletax.com with any further comments or suggestions you wish to share! Thanks, GoSimpleTax Team.

A weight lifted

Pros

So easy to use and the support was quick and easy

Cons

There was nothing I didn’t like, it was simple and easy for me.

Hi Vivienne, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're glad you enjoyed using GoSimpleTax! Kind regards, GoSimpleTax Team.

53% Price Hike during Coronavirus Crisis!

Pros

No idea - it has basically functionality

Cons

They have a subscription model so that you are basically locked in for next year. You sign up. Then Coronavirus hits - you'd think a company founded to support self-employed people would be there in their time of need. But no, they increase their price by 53%!

Hi, Whilst we do offer a subscription model all users receive 2 emails before any renewal payment is taken, with a minimum 2 weeks notice to allow for cancellation. Our help centre (https://support.gosimpletax.com/portal/kb/gosimpletax/general) also provides information on how users can unsubscribe without the need to contact us. Unfortunately we have had to increase prices at this difficult time,...

Feedback Time

It was much easier than using the HMRC portal, also the help teams were very responsive when I needed reminding of the way to submit the calculations to the HMRC site. Overall experience was very good indeed.

Pros

Once you have selected your preferences, it is done and therefore returning to submit a tax return for a second time was as it says on the tin "Simple"

Cons

Only using it once a year it is not obvious what you have to do after you have validated your figures.

Hi Jeremy, Thanks for the great review. We're glad you had a great experience using GoSimpleTax :) Thanks, GoSimpleTax Team.

GoSimpleTax

Personal tax - used to be done by a tax adviser which was a more opaque and expensive exercise

Pros

Very simple and straightforward to use. Excellent clear feedback on tax liability via the tax computation feature. Feedback on unclaimed tax benefits and any errors is also immensely helpful.

Cons

No problems from my perspective once you have understood how to enter data

What a relief!!

This was my first self assessment and I found it very daunting. GoSimpleTax made the figures very easy to calculate. I had quite a few problems with my UTR and the customer service team were amazing and very patient with me. All the figures on the system were saved and ready to go so when my new UTR was activated with HMRC , it only took minutes to complete my return. Thank you GoSimpleTax!

Pros

The team have been amazing at problem solving for me.

Cons

If I had to find anything negative it would be that the failed submission codes aren't easy to understand so I didn't know what was going wrong but I e mailed the support team and they were able to help

Hi Rebecca, Thanks for a great review. We're glad you're happy with our support team, I've passed this message on to them :) In regards to the failed submission codes, I'll pass on your suggestion to the team. Thanks, GoSimpleTax Team.

A bit confusing to use but does the job.

Pros

It fills in all the forms and sends them to the Inland Revenue. Not expensive either. Takes the stress out of doing your tax return online.

Cons

Never quote sure if I have filled in the right boxes. Would appreciate better notes for Anglican ministers

Many thanks for your review and feedback. We will pass on your comments to the support team.

great value plus speedy support.

Very satisfying customer experience thanks to quick and effective email support to resolve issue of unable to send return. Thank you. Highly recommended. Mike.M

Pros

Ease of use. Info provided to assist with completing tax return and ability to switch to saved earlier years returns.

Cons

Initial inability to submit completed return to HMRC.

simple tax

Excellent piece of software, takes the worry our of your tax return

Pros

great that its keeps previous years submissions and allows you to update

Cons

none, it's very easy to use even for those with limited tax experience

HI Trevor, Thanks for the great review! We're glad you enjoy using GoSimpleTax! Thanks, GoSimpleTax Team.

Minister of religion form

Pros

Clear structure to the forms and populated the information well onto the HMRC forms Suggestions about possible missed expenses

Cons

When I selected the SA100 form I wasn't automatically offered the charitable giving section and it wasn't obvious how to find that. It wasn't clear whether I should include my clergy stipend on an employment sheet or on the minister of religion form. It would have been helpful to have 'hover over' explanation notes to describe what should go in each box.

Many thanks for your feedback. We will pass on your comments to the development team. We have also asked the team to add a help article about how to show minsters income. Today (19 Nov) we have released an small update to make it easier to add gift aid donations. Kind regards GoSimpleTax Team

cons

Pros

Technical support was very helpful and provided good guidance

Cons

The section expenses needs something to help me to find the right group for certain items... for example it would be nice to have a tool that has reverse look up: lets say you have purchase pencils, you click on search... then the tool advice you in the "Computer, Tools & Office equipment>>stationary" Also the last section right before filling, there are several options to select entering information for some forms and others, but I personally lack of the knowledge and jargon to decide... I think it should provide more info for noobs like me.

Hi Jose, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're glad you was satisfied with the support your received. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can use our valuable feedback to deliver an even better experience next time you us GoSimpleTax. Please pop us an email help@gosimpletax.com with any suggestions you wish to share! Thanks, GoSimpleTax Team.

No worries

I didn't realize that I was due a rebate but apparently I'm due over£700

Pros

I kept putting it off but I found the software so easy to use,as long as you have your expenses to hand you can't really go wrong.

Cons

I found everything worked well,no problems.