Updox

Cloud-based HIPAA compliant telemedicine solution

visit website

Updox Reviews

Pros

We have been using Updox for our faxing and reminder messages for some time and have really enjoyed it. We appreciate the Updox team and how they have always been very responsive and supportive.

Josh H.

Very great experience and I love the user interface. A very affordable recommendable software.

Isaiah N.

I like how it it is user friendly and it has help out office work flow tremendously.

Nia C.

Cons

Inability to use a referral providers cover sheet or "loose" records to upload into UPDOX.

Marcie P.

Struggling with updating in real time with EMDS and Updox. No solution has been found at this point.

Margaret K.

Updox Video Chat allowed us to still treat our patients that did not want to get out during this Covid crisis whether is was just fear, or they were sick and running fever.

Connie D.

4.5

Good Software

Overall very good.

Pros

I like the options of preview documents before managing them, multiple document management, and the customer service.

Cons

Wasn't truly integrated into EHR, so separate processing.

Amazingly Easy to Use

Pros

The software in incredibly easy to use. I can send faxes from my medical records software to other facilities, and I can receive information and input it directly to patient files as well. This has saved me so much time, and makes running the accounts receivable portion of our business MUCH easier. The tools available cover all facets of thing I need, (highlight, redact, digital signatures, etc.) and I only needed to be shown the tools once to understand how to use them.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a little while for something I've "printed" to show up in the inbox, but that would be the case for a normal printer anyway. A quick "refresh" of the page gets it sorted, but speeding this process would be my only request!

Customer service problems

Excellent until this July, and terrible after that. This summer when they changed their business model they became a totally different company doing a totally different product. With no warning, they were "telamedicine" and not a secure fax catchment system. Probably they were taken over by someone who had vicious business habits.

Pros

In its previous rendition UpDox was very good and easy to use.

Cons

They changed their business model and become a more expensive rendition (four times as expensive) without warning and without giving the users a chance to move out. Their customer service did not respond. When I finally talked to a person (after calling sales, because no one else answers) they claimed they had tried to call and email the clinic many times. They did not because they had my personal...

Dr. Holland We're sorry you've had a difficult recent relationship with Updox. One clarification: Our "chat" option is staffed entirely by our own employees who work out of our Ohio office. We're proud of our diverse workforce that includes staff from different backgrounds, all of whom are empowered to provide exceptional service to our customers. While our business model has not changed (nor has our ownership), COVID obviously had a huge impact across healthcare and our telehealth solution (which we actually launched in 2019) became vital to many providers. Thank you for your previous partnership.

Still on the ledge about Updox

Overall, after getting used to using the program, I am fairly satisfied with it. Just takes some getting used to how to use it.

Pros

I have been using Updox intermittently for a little over a year. This program was implented for our company use by our IT guys. I know that myself and many of my co-workers found it confusing and complicated to use at first. It took some getting used to. Now that I have figured Updox out, I can load my faxes fairly quickly and check back for my results. It's maybe not the most user friendly program but it gets the job done.

Cons

I have told our IT guys several times that I am still able to see other departments faxes and they can probably see mine. This is an issue as I am in HR and handle many confidential documents. IT tells me other depts can't see my documents sent but considering I can see theirs, I'm sure they can see mine. I think there needs to be a clear indication for each dept. that there is confidential areas when using Updox. I don't like that I have to keep "refreshing" to see if a fax went through. Even though I have checked the option for Updox to notify me when the fax is completed, I still never get any alerts.

Great software option for telemed, secure and easy to use!

Updox Video Chat has made a real difference in my ability to care for my patients. The quick roll out to address the need for telehealth in the midst of the pandemic helped me to continue to serve my patients when they needed it most.

Pros

The software is easy to use from both the provider and patient side. There is no app to download, and I find my older patients really appreciate that. Video quality is good. It is secure, which is important in a medical practice.

Cons

I would like to see better functionality with charting and using video chat simultaneously. Right now I have to either write notes and transcribe later, or use two computer screens. It would be nice if I could make the chat small and put it in the corner so I could see both at the same time.

Great Product, easy to use

Had just a few problems with the initial startup with my computer illiterate co-workers, lol.

Pros

I like the ease of using Updox. I can tag people with faxes for their department, I can edit documents before sending. We were using the old school fax system and having trouble getting faxes or partial faxes . With Updox, we haven't missed anything. And the option to keep the faxes in archive is awesome. Very happy with our purchase.

Cons

The only thing I would change is showing the user name who sent the fax in case it doesn't go thru.

Excellent product... expensive though

They offer a great product that streamlines receiving and sending faxes. I didn't use any of their other offered services. Overall, it's a good product, but ultimately I decided to go with a cheaper alternative.

Pros

Ease of integration with the EMR. This software worked seamlessly with Practice Fusion EHR.

Cons

The price, they are much more expensive than their competitors. And the fact that just about every communication from them was an attempt to upsell me to purchase another product from their service line.

Updox Video Chat is an excellent addition to my practice

We were up and running within 15 minutes of having the service available. It has helped tremendously with TeleMed visits during COVID. Our patients love the option of TeleMed.

Pros

Easy to learn and use. Documents telehealth visits very well. Integrates easily with our EMR since we were already using the fax,email and text features.

Cons

It’s so small it’s almost insignificant, but I wish there was an end time option on the summary in addition to the duration. Not a big deal, but it would be a nice feature.

Nice platform

Sales and IT departments are easy to work with. Employees are friendly and knowledgeable.

Pros

Easy to use. Convenience to use from any device.

Cons

Crashing issues. It does crash almost daily with slow importing or inability to send to patient portals.

Thank you for reviewing Updox. We appreciate the feedback and are glad our solution works well for your business. If you do experience any downtime, please make sure to check our status update page - status.updox.com. Our status update page will notify you with any issues, provide resolutions and workarounds. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, you can always reach out to your dedicated Customer Success Manager to ensure you are getting the most value out of your Updox experience. Thanks for Updoxing!

FASTER WAY TO GET YOUR FAXES

Able to go through incoming faxes quick and have had no issues

Pros

With the flag system it has it makes it easy to assign incoming faxes to correct person. Love that you can fax from here as well. Saves paper for sure!

Cons

I can't say that there are features I do not like. It moves quick and simple to use. If I have to pick something I will say I wish there were a folder for each person to 'save' if needed.

Updox

Only wish that we could have our office phone number identified when texts and calls go to the patients.

Pros

Allows rapid secure text messaging from my computer to patients. Ease to set up and learn. Allows easy fax retrieval and sorting. Not wasting paper for unwanted faxes. Charges are not per document or usage per client. Patients with appointments are easily reminded and asked to confirm the date. Cuts down on staff having to call each patient for a reminder (and the patients rarely answer our reminder call). They pay attention to their texts.

Cons

Patients cannot identify incoming texts due to random phone number generation by Updox. Patients are wary about opening the text since they do not recognize the phone number. Cannot upload PDF's forms for completion for the patients. They need to be recreated in the Updox platform first. We want to use our forms that we already have, not reformat and retype it in Updox.

Excellent functionality

Micropractice ease to reduce the paper load. Love the user ability to write on forms, sign and date forms without ever needing to print and then re upload .

Pros

I am a nurse practitioner with a micro functional medicine practice, always looking to be as paperless as possible. I love Updox for several reasons. One is that when labs come in, I have many tools to use to sign off on the labs, highlight abnormals, write notes on the lab itself and then easily download the results. Currently Updoz does not interface with my EHR but hopefully in the future for ease of moving it straight into the patients chart. I also love that I can drop a blank word document into the main portal and create a new document right there with ease and then fax out. This makes writing medical necessity letters for patients easy, new lab orders, things that require my signature.

Cons

I wish they would integrate with Power 2 Practice, my EHR. Recently, Updox fixed a feature which has been so helpful. I can now easily resend a fax from where it originated, after writing on it or signing it. That hadn't been a user friendly function before now so thank you!

Effective and User Friendly

Like I mentioned, the medical office that I support that uses Updox is not very tech savvy -- and yet they have had fewer problems with Updox than with any other software that they use regularly. When I have needed to install Updox "printers" I was able to find clear instructions online for basic installation, as well as information for the specific issue I was dealing with at the time. When I have needed to contact Updox for technical support the wait was brief and they were able to get me the pertinent information very quickly so that the issue could be resolved.

Pros

I have supported a medical office with 4 providers for over a decade, providing computer and technical support. The medical office has been using Updox for about 6 years. I have been impressed with how user-friendly the product is. Most of the people in this office struggle to update Java every three months (which is a required part of the electronic medical record software.) However, they have been able to install Updox with minimal support from me. The office does occasionally contact Updox's technical support, and they are able to successfully help them the majority of the time. (If Updox's tech support can't solve the problem, then I will get called.)

Cons

Each user has his/her own username and password input into the emulated printer installation, and sometimes the staff ends up inadvertently using someone else's credentials. It doesn't see to affect the running of the software in any significant way (staff has reported no problems from this,) but it is something that I've noticed over the years.

User for over 8 years in a medial practice

Overall for our practice, it is a huge help. Customer service always return your calls and assist you with any problems you encounter in running the program.

Pros

I like how the software integrates with our EMR program. It saves paper on incoming faxes as well as time for scanning documents from a fax machine into a patient's chart. It makes the workload much easier on the staff as well as myself. I also like that it acts as an email to which we can receive correspondences from there as well.

Cons

I wish some features were less costly such as the scheduling featuring. I wish that was automatically integrated to allow patients to make appointments online to minimize some of the telephone traffic we receive regarding appointments. I also like the call reminder feature to remind patients of appointments but the overall cost outweighs the purchase of the feature.

Great Product. Can be better.

It is pleasing, but can be better.

Pros

Its versatility and consistency. You can easily trust it to ensure that everything you needed done will be done, and if for any reason it is unable to send a fax or a message, it will alert you. It also has great staff/user settings that help in larger teams.

Cons

The inability to fax blast to a contact list. The complexity of adding/importing contact lists. The UI gets messy pretty quickly.

Easy to use, processes quickly, simple presentation.

Easy fax/uploading processing

Pros

I love being able to upload things into our EHR with ease. Updox eliminates unnecessary steps in this process. We receive hundreds of faxes per week, and Updox allows us to process them as they come in and send them where they need to go. It's nice to be able to send faxes quickly and accurately as well. The system keeps an archive of everything sent and received, which makes it easier on the receptionists.

Cons

I wish that the system was a little more intuitive as far as what types of documents are within the inbox. We have many people using the software, so at times it can get confusing as to what documents are for who (other than the capability to tag the documents manually). I also don't like the inbox feature, It doesn't seem to have much use. It would be great if documents could be faxed directly to that inbox or emailed.

Hi Sarah, thank you so much for your review! We appreciate the feedback and are glad we make it easier to fax electronically both quickly and accurately. Thanks for Updoxing!

The most pragmatic approach to instant secure video chat I know of

I have used every form of telemedicine video connection in the industry and this is without question the single most pragmatic way to engage anyone instantly for efficient virtual care

Pros

It is tied to a clinical address book, and easily escalated text messaging with patients or other colleagues, or anyone really. The key to video chat is making sure that the event happens when expected, there are no unnecessary delays on either end, and that getting people involved is tied to messaging communication, which is far more of a foundation than any video chat process itself

Cons

Would like the ability to make a phone call out to invite in a translator or third party, same for a group video chat. But I know that is being worked on anyway

Updox took my practice to the next leel

I am able to receive faxes directly to my computer. If they are concerning a patient they can be integrated right into their chart on Practice Fusion. Since starting the message and call reminders of appointments my no shows have dropped to almost nothing now.

Pros

Updox integrates with Practice Fusion. I can use Updox from any location that I am at on my computer. It is easy to send reminder message to patients about appointments. It is easy to text patients when you can not reach them by phone The new features that were added work great especially since much of my practice in the last 3 months has been on line due to COVID 19.

Cons

If I have over 15 documents to send to one place if they are not on page 1 then I have to do multiple faxes.

UPDOX VIDEO CHAT REVIEW

We offer telemedicine visits while insurance companies are still accepting these types of visits.

Pros

My office used Updox daily for incoming electronic faxes and for our outgoing faxes. When Updox offered a video chat I jumped at the chance because it was right around the time when COVID-19 first appeared and people were using Zoom. I tried using Zoom but it had no where near the capabilities that Updox has. It was easier to use and because I was already a customer with Updox it would look up the patient name and number or email address. It also has a place to document for the record and a place for pictures. This is really helpful. I also loved the fact that it was HIPAA compliant. Zoom was not.

Cons

I can't think of anything I would change.

Updox Video

Updox representative responds to needs quickly and service has made telehealth transition quick and relatively easy.

Pros

The ease of which links can be sent to patients and connectedness to our EMR is fantastic.

Cons

We are excited for the ability to add multiple attendees in family separation situations and group offerings. We are also interested in expanded capabilities including online screening formats. Some users have difficult enabling video/audio equipment.

Not a good flow

Average. Would swich to doxy.me On Doxy I can send messages on chat window to patient to drop them a quick message. Also the flow is much better, where patient is waiting in virtual waiting room (similar to real life) and I just take the call.

Pros

Connected to practice fusion so phone number does not need to be added

Cons

I am sorry to say but the flow is not good for a physician office. Whoever designed it did not have Physician office flow in mind. As a physician it’s not efficient if I send a message or email to a patient and then wait for several minutes for patient to join in. I am wasting that time. Or I have to call the patient to check their email

Fax Service

Very satisfied. It is very practical to be able to directly transfer reports to patients' charts, send faxes to specialists, secure messages to portals. It is a very efficient program.

Pros

We mainly used Updox for faxes an emails. It is integrated to our medical records system so it is very effective. It is a time saver product. We are very satisfied with it. Unfortunately, they have moved to the internet access. I loved the fact that we could just click on the icon on the desktop and launch Updox.

Cons

Nothing. I have no issues with Updox and if we have a connection problem, support is always readily available.

Satisfied user

The workload for our office would be tremendous without this exceptional tool. Great product! The newer feature of being able to text from Updox has streamlined much of our basic communication and helped close a gap for patient appointment reminders.

Pros

Updox is a great program and has worked beautifully with Practice Fusion. The ease of having faxes come in and be able to directly link to a patients chart is invaluable!

Cons

Our's is a small business, and the monthly fee can be a higher cost for the service.

Thanks Updox!!

Overall, I am extremely happy with Updox! The application itself as well as the employees that have helped us out along the way!

Pros

I love the easiness of using Updox! I don't have to hunt around, bother customer service for what I need to do. Some of the other software/applications that I use, are time consuming and exhausting to figure out.

Cons

I would like to see it integrate with my EMR so that I don't have to download documents from Updox and then upload them into the EMR.

Great Product

We have been able to continue treating our patients during COVID-19 while keeping our staff safe and our patients safe.

Pros

The feature that has been most beneficial to our practice are that it integrates with our EHR system, which allows all the faxes, messages, photos, summaries to be easily imported into the patients' charts.

Cons

The only issues we have had with this software are not really issues with the actual software. We have recently started using the Video feature to comply with the CDC guidelines and still allow us to treat our patients. It is very easy to use, both on our end and the patient end, as there is nothing for them to download. The only time we have had issues have been when the patient does not have good signal. Again, not an issue with Updox itself, just the only issue we have had thus far.