Square Payroll Logo

Suggested alternatives

workforcenow
rippling
bamboohr

I love how easy it is to use, the price, and that it integrates with my current square system. The built in time clock is amazing and so easy to use.
The ease of use and the cost is the best for a small company like mine. With only 2 checks to write on a weekly basis, this program is easy and affordable.
I also appreciate the tax report automatic filing. The customer service is great and the representatives, with whom I have spoken, are knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.
The inability to schedule same day payments, but there isn't really a Payroll software that does this quite right.
I disliked that one time, when I had a major--and time sensitive--issue, that Square took 5 business days to get me a reply.
Square charges a fee per employee which can get pricey with a large team.

SB

Sherri B.

Owner

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Square Payroll Review: Square Payroll Is absolutely the best

Transcript

Sherri B.: Hi, I'm Sherri. I'm the owner of the Tavern at Trail's End, and I give Square Payroll a five...

Alexandria K.

Owner

So easy to use

Transcript

Alexandria H.: Hi, my name is Alexandria, and I am the owner of a women's consignment retail store and...

Christy Marie P.

Telecommunications, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Square Payroll makes it easy to run my small business

Using Square Payroll saved me money by eliminating the need for me to hire a CPA. It was easy to set up and any initial questions I had were answered promptly and efficiently by Square. I've used Square to run a restaurant with 10+ 1099 employees and now I use it to run a small marketing firm that employs all 1099 contractors. It takes me less than 10 minutes to run payroll and get my employees paid and I am extremely satisfied with the service.

Pros

Square Payroll was is the easiest, least complicated system I have found to run payroll. I used it for four years while owning a restaurant and it was simple to add new hires and remove employees who left the company. Square files your quarterly taxes, unemployment insurance, and workers comp with each payroll run so you don't have to visit and file in all the different portals. I never had any issues with getting my employees paid on time and Square offers multiple payment options which can be customized to work with each employee.

Cons

There's nothing about Square payroll that I don't like. Square continues to add new features to help me grow my business and make payroll a breeze.

KC

Kayla C.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Saves my life

My business went from being such a hassle to making it enjoyable.

Pros

It makes my life and business functional.

Cons

Nothing i love this software and everything about it

AH

Angie H.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Poor product and customer services

A lesson.

Pros

Clean and easy to use interface. Unfortunately that's all the positives I can think of after using it for more than 6 months.

Cons

1. Lots of mistakes - inaccurate state/city withholding at the beginning, even the dashboard numbers did not add up/balance (these were corrected after we raised the issues). A few months later, suddenly they double deducted certain taxes from our bank account for TWO consecutive payrolls (you'd think they would fix it after we raised the issue the first time). This is worrying as it makes us wonder...

NE

Nicole E.

Great Square Payroll Experience

I have had no issues with square payroll. All steps are timely with accurate calculations and filing of forms.

Pros

I appreciate square payroll reminders, ease of use, importing of time cards, calculations, etc. The set up makes it easy to use and follow.

Cons

I have experienced no issues at this time.

CW

Cham W.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Excellent once you get the hang of it

Pros

Square Payroll was easy to set up, and adding new employees is a very simple and fast process. Our employees have an online portal where they can edit their direct deposit details/address/withholdings/etc. As the administrator I'm able to import their hours from third party programs as well (currently using T-Sheets) The deadlines to submit payroll are clearly displayed, as well as the window of time when you can cancel or edit a submitted payroll.

Cons

For our company there are multiple pay rates depending on the work (regular hourly pay, drive time, etc.) When importing from T-Sheets I have to manually go through every time entry and specify what pay rate will be applied to each shift for every employee. It's not possible either to change how direct deposits are labeled on the employee's bank statement. Instead of having my company name listed it just shows "SQUARE PAYROLL"

AC

Angie C.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

A key tool for my business to run successfully!

Square has taken the scary part out of running a business for me and made it simple and straightforward. I could not run my business without it.

Pros

Payroll and pay contractor features are excellent. The invoicing is very good as well. Those are the two things I use most from Square. But I also like the online booking, team management, and how items and services are highly customizable. Overall it's all pretty easy to use with a few things that just have a bit of a learning curve.

Cons

I feel like the ability to go from one location to the other on the mobile app could be improved. Also, I wish Square would integrate with timekeeping apps such as Clockify. We work per hour but not per shift, the time-keeping abilities in Square seem to be geared more toward retail and restaurant industries.

WC

William C.

Consumer Services, self-employed

Used other for 6-12 months

User Friendly Payroll

As stated above, it's extremely user friendly. Much easier to setup then competitors I've looked into.

Pros

It's super helpful considering I utilize contractors when needed since my service business is still small. Extremely user friendly. And I love that you can issue payroll via Cash App.

Cons

Don't really have any complaints about Square Payroll.

TH

Tiffany H.

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

The Simplicity of Payroll

My experience with using Square has been blissful and stressful at first. However, when all things fit perfectly, there were no problems, and the system has and will continue to work well for CSCB.

Pros

All of Square's features work so very well together.. A perfect match!

Cons

No problems to report other than HR learning how to navigate the software.

AD

Atama D.

Individual & Family Services, 1-10 employees

Great for Growing Small Business to pay contractors nd employees

Over experience is great. Im do not have difficultly using the platform and i so recoment it.

Pros

Easy to set up, easy to use, and great instructions on paying contractors. It was easy to each my office manager to run payroll and allow staff to remotely acess the platform for virtual work days.

Cons

Customer service need to be improved upon. If the company have issues it should be communictaed promptly to users.

JD

Jammi D.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees

square payroll review

overall i think square is a great app for payroll

Pros

square payroll has one of the best apps with easy to use system

Cons

it is a little pricey for a app compared to other payroll apps

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

Ignores problems and has terrible customer support

Terrible. Their customer service agents don't take the time to understand or resolve the problem.

Pros

Running payroll is simple and I could automate the entry of payroll data to avoid mistakes.

Cons

They have screwed up my tax filings every month since switching to Square Payroll. I've reported it to them every time. Now they want me to pay extra to have them amend my filings.

KO

Kelli O.

Utilities, 1-10 employees

My Square Payroll Software Review

Square Payroll's dashboard was very easy to navigate, the software itself was self explanatory & for the most part easy to use, but i ran into a few problems when it came to direct deposit, employee requested time off, & it was also a little more expensive then other payroll software programs.

Pros

The dashboard of Square Payroll was very easy to use & navigate, I had ran into alot of problems when it came to time off requests & also direct deposits being made on time/payday.

Cons

That there were a few times that employee direct deposits were not deposited when they were to be deposited ie: payday. The software was more expensive than other payroll programs I have used in the past.

MH

Matthew H.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Easy to use and great value

Pros

It is so easy to use, either on the computer or mobile phoneVery inexpensive compared with Paychex and ADP (both of which I have used in the past)Comprehensive payroll service, I don't need to do anything other than input information

Cons

This does not matter to me, but it does not do the HR items that Paychex and ADP do. If you need a more comprehensive service, one of them might be better. For just payroll, Square is fantastic.

JL

Josie L.

Easy & Intuitive Payroll Software

Square's Payroll is insanely easy to use and navigate. I've been using it since Jan 1, 2015 and my only wish is that I started it sooner. I like that I can offer direct deposit to my employees and pick how often to pay them. They love it too because it's so simple, they don't have to worry about payroll. The backend for both me and my employees is also really easy to understand. I highly recommend it.

Pros

It's easy to use and understand. My employees said signing up and filling out their w-2 info was the easiest ever. Nobody had to ask me (or their Mom's!), it's direct and in plain English. It calculates paid sick time for me (as per the new sick leave act in CA). Submitting my quarterly federal tax returns and CA quarterly report of wages is also easy. It's so easy I don't even know how to do it because Square does it automatically for me! Customer service is also great. One time I received a notice from EDD that I filed late, I called Square and they took care of it. My fee was waived, I haven't had an issue since.

Cons

I wish the Pay history offered more sorting options like their Sales information. I'd like to be able to see it by year, month, quarter, etc. I know Payroll is still kinda "new" so it wouldn't surprise me if this is offered later.

DH

DuWayne H.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

It doesn't get any easier than this!

Far less time setting up new employees, minimal time spent processing payroll and several hundred dollars a month in savings.

Pros

I love the simplicity of using Square payroll. It is simple to set up and to use. It is also one of the least expensive payroll options out there.

Cons

I wish that it had a simple way of looking up employee's wage history (when raises were given specifically)

Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees

This is significantly easier/cheaper than big competitors

I joined in the beta testing and have loved it. It definitely helped us cut our administrative costs for payroll.

Pros

I love that I can run payroll in 10 minutes or less and that they file all the necessary paperwork. The cost is based per employee, which works for my business model. They have a new app for folks on the go, too. I've downloaded that, but not used it yet.

Cons

Editing timecards isn't too bad, however, you have to wait until the employee is clocked out to make the edit and it can be easy to get busy and forget. But sometimes the system doesn't let me add a timecard from scratch. The employee doesn't drop down in the menu so I have to go add the hours to an existing timecard. This isn't a big deal if you're not carefully monitoring costs, etc. Also, my employees go back and forth between locations, so if they start at location 1 to pick supplies up and clock in there, they're clocked in at that location for the whole shift. I wish there was an option to select which location they're working at.

DC

Danielle C.

Simple and easy to use, great value for the cost!

Pros

Square payroll is very simple to use and gets payroll done quickly. Our employees clock in through our Square POS so when it's time to do payroll, all I have to do is upload their timecards, enter their tips or sick leave and it's done. I've used other payroll systems that are not as simple or user intuitive and I really can't believe how much time I've wasted. I love having all of my sales information and employee information in one place. It makes it easier to compare your sales VS labor and budget accordingly. I would definitely recommend it!

Cons

Customer service could be improved, mainly with wait times and resolution of issues. Usually I have to re-tell my problem to multiple customer service reps before they pass it along to someone else who will then get back to me the next day. Relaying information regarding changes employees make to their profiles, like W-4s could also be improved. It would be nice to have a separate column to enter Sick Leave VS PTO when doing payroll.

CG

Carissa G.

Photography, 1-10 employees

I Love Square's All-In-One Interface

Overall I love Square Payroll because it saves me from having to use another service for my payroll needs.

Pros

I absolutely love that this makes hiring and paying employee's easy for small business owners. The features are up to day with direct deposit functions which keeps me from having to meet up for payouts. I also like the look of the software because its not complicated. Since I already use Square for my POS system it's only natural that I use that to stream my money to my employees.

Cons

The time card function doesn't have full visibility of the whole calendar but I manage.

CP

Chad P.

Restaurants, 1-10 employees

Freezer Fresh LLC

We love Square, easy app on phone to monitor sales and know when we need to rush up to help the staff. Very functional for business analysis. I would probably sell the business if I need not have Square Payroll to assist with paying employees and tax reporting.

Pros

Sales reporting is fantastic with downloadable reports to excel for analysis, trending to be used for purchasing and inventory controllable. Helps us determine which items are selling best.

Cons

Employee timecards are hard to review on a weekly basis to see where there is an error. You can go day by day but in all honestly we are not using the scheduling function which may prevent some of these errors.

CM

Cynthia M.

ease to use, all in one, responsive

Pros

Most of my small business POS and payroll tasks can be handled with this one system. There is a lot of flexibility to match the system to my business specific categories, product lines, items and variations.

Cons

Lack of automating conversion of information from this to quickbooks. Returns/exchanges Library organization limitations - you put what is a priority to you at the top instead of what is a proirity to me. Square Gift cards are too expensive to use.

rs

roger s.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Great for paying employees and keeping track of time and activities.

It's been essential to the operation of my business!

Pros

My technicians can clock in and out. Type stories. And I can easily keep track of money they are owed and taxes and things like that.

Cons

Nothing I could change about the software. It's been around long enough that they have practically perfected its use.

HU

Harold U.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Enjoying All the Benefits of Having a Reliable Payroll System, without the Headache

Pros

Square payroll makes such a complicated and time consuming task or managing payroll a simple task .

Cons

Square Payroll actively build and design their software to be better on a quarterly basis. If something was missing, shortly later, they would have integrated it into their software. I have most of the features I need for my employees, i.e. commissions, PTO, Tips, etc.

SJ

Sarah J.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

So easy for one location

Pros

Square Payroll is so simple to use, it takes minutes to complete payroll now. If you have one location I highly recommend it.

Cons

You cannot pull different location’s payroll from different bank accounts, square only allows one bank account for payroll.

CG

Cameron G.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Gets rid of the headache

It was a lifesaver when we first implemented it. I was struggling to do payroll by myself. I'm not a details person and the software took care of all of it for me. It was perfect!

Pros

The payroll services makes things easy and removes the headache and compliance worries.

Cons

Haven't found any issues that are troublesome. It's working great for us.

HM

Holly M.

Recreational Facilities and Services, 11-50 employees

Square Payroll make it easy for employers!

Square makes it easy to run payroll and file taxes!

Pros

The fact that the taxes are filed is a huge relief for an employer, square stays on top of tax rate changes and notifies you if there are any tax rate changes being made for state or federal taxes.

Cons

I really don't have any cons, it's easy to use and meets my business payroll needs.